• Yes 230 votes
    63%
  • No 70 votes
    19%
  • Gonna wait it out till my order is ready and then decide 68 votes
    18%

(368 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 45 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1489676414956 (resized).jpg
2612844 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
hqdefault (resized).jpg
Playfield (resized).jpg
image-6 (resized).jpg
11D90233-FEA8-40B8-B0D9-62671DDE4003 (resized).png
Meme Creator_1524492382866 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
03686A98-4829-491D-8F42-D125617444A9 (resized).png
jjp_loyal_customer (resized).jpg
business.gif
IMG_20180423_141418 (resized).jpg
I5oQs3.gif
E697E83B-91E0-417A-9022-3D8D3FD838D8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 676 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 14.
#251 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Pirates really screwed up Jack's plan to have 2018 be the year they finally get to 2 titles released a year. His goal is to get to three a year. With his deep-pocket's investor he has the capital to do it. JJP just has to get through the growing pains. They're condensing the decades of growth and learning of Stern and Bally/Williams into a very short time and it's not always going to be smooth sailing. But kudos to them for plugging away at it and raising the bar for EVERYONE in the process. You wouldn't have seen a PRO Iron Maiden that looks as good it does without JJP and AP heating up the expectations of the market.

I, whole heartedly, agree. Competition is good. Pinball is in a new renaissance. Such a good time for all pinball, after being all but dead a few years ago. The triple disc was cool, and I hope JJP figures out something better than the pizza disc offered.

#252 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I, whole heartedly, agree. Competition is good. Pinball is in a new renaissance. Such a good time for all pinball, after being all but dead a few years ago. The triple disc was cool, and I hope JJP figures out something better than the pizza disc offered.

Actually, I think something like the animated lights wheel Aurich suggested, but instead with a smaller spinning wheel inside that has the old two inner rings printed on it with animated lights, and the outer ring being stationary and printed on the playfield would retain elements of motion and the original "feel" without having a giant pizza in the middle of the PF. The small wheel spins and the lights animate on the outer stationary PF-printed ring to coordinate with the on-screen bonus. The visual effect should be close to the three spinners. Close enough, at least.

#253 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Actually, I think something like the animated lights wheel Aurich suggested, but with a smaller spinning wheel inside that has the old two inner rings printed on it with animated lights, and the outer ring being stationary and printed on the playfield would retain elements of motion and the original "feel" without having a giant pizza in the middle of the PF. The small wheel spins and the lights animate on the outer printed ring to coordinate with the on-screen bonus.

I hope JJP is reading pinside...that would solve the problem of playfields already being printed...outer wheel art work fitting with the fix...as well as the problems supposedly associated with the original wheel. Coding should be easier as well. Plus, would be innovative. Maybe not a triple spinner, but look like it belongs.

#254 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I hope JJP is reading pinside...that would solve the problem of playfields already being printed...outer wheel art work fitting with the fix...as well as the problems supposedly associated with the original wheel. Coding should be easier as well. Plus, would be innovative. Maybe not a triple spinner, but look like it belongs.

Exactly, whatever they do it needs to look like it belongs. What they showed has no place being on that machine.

#255 1 year ago

A smaller wheel that spins both ways in various speeds would be ok. As long as it's not always spinning. Combine it with some nearby under pf magnets. Can you have a smaller magnet in the middle that could grab the ball ?

#256 1 year ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

A smaller wheel that spins both ways in various speeds would be ok. As long as it's not always spinning. Combine it with some nearby under pf magnets. Can you have a smaller magnet in the middle that could grab the ball ?

X-Men or Twister style, I guess so, but I don't think it would add much.

#257 1 year ago

So we are now at 158 pinsiders saying they will cancel their preorders, present company included.

I think the one of the challenges here is that JJP is at such a high price point, currently the highest price point, there is no room for “error”. JJP should remember the target audience here - people with discretionary funds that have many options for which to spend it. Pinside is a passionate bunch with high expectations. And rightfully so; the average new pin price across all versions has probably created $7k, a serious chunk of change.

Personally, I’m pissed about this development. Since it’s already been revealed, I think one of their primary objectives would be to deliver what was promised. Yes I’m sure they’ve been working hard on it, but I think they’re underestimating the blowback here. People put trust in a company when they put down payments or full payments on an expensive toy. Trust is hard to earn and easily lost. So potential buyers will retrench and consider other pins while we all wait to see how this pans out.

I’ll just accept the crap news for now and hope they rethink their decision.

#258 1 year ago

POTC has so_ many toys besides the spinning disks. Maybe list them all out and see how big of a deal this really is? Seems like it’s still ridiculously packed with toys? Maelstrom, rocking ship, working canon, spinning Tom Tortuga, Star field, diverters everywhere. Is it still more toys than almost any other game?

Also kinda amusing that guys are flipping orders to Iron Maiden that appears to have no toys on the pro? Is that center ramp even a toy?

#259 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Pinside is not the world. JJP is definitely selling more than in the hundreds per game.

I asked at TPF last month how many Dialed In machines have been sod and the answer was ~1,200. I imagine that number is what has left the factory (so including current distribution stock).

#260 1 year ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

I asked at TPF last month how many Dialed In machines have been sod and the answer was ~1,200. I imagine that number is what has left the factory (so including current distribution stock).

Pretty good for the first 11 months. They should easily top 2000, with no licensing royalties, to boot.

#261 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Pirates really screwed up Jack's plan to have 2018 be the year they finally get to 2 titles released a year. His goal is to get to three a year, which will now likely be 2020 at the earliest. With his deep-pockets investor he now has the capital to do it. JJP just has to get through the growing pains. They're condensing the decades of growth and learning of Stern and Bally/Williams into a very short time and it's not always going to be smooth sailing. But kudos to them for plugging away at it and raising the bar for EVERYONE in the process. You wouldn't have seen a PRO Iron Maiden that looks as good it does without JJP and AP heating up the expectations of the market.

I don't think JJP or AP have anything to do with IronMaiden and its greatness but then again I don't care how it came to be just happy its done. JJP making 3 pins a year by 2020 to me isn't happening, I don't think that will ever happen. 1 a year maybe with another annouced and shipping before the end of that year but 3 released like Stern, no way. Hey I hope I'm very wrong so not trying to knock JJP, if they would just start releasing some cooler themes I would be a customer. Toy Story? come on.

#262 1 year ago

It’s seems like we will hear an update on Wednesday. Here is a question for all of you pinsiders - what do you think a manufacturer makes in term of margins? This has to play into their decision making process. What is going on with JJP’s marketing strategy? It doesn’t seem like they have one.

If this results in a less than 5% margin savings - I really think they are insulting their customer base. Most people who are buying this machine own all of the JJP titles. Their marketing team has to realize this. They have a loyal customer base. Heck - I can’t stand the Hobbit, but I own the game.

This might be a good time for them to give us what they promised and eat the cost savings. I have a hard time believing this is a reliability issue and if it is, take a few more months and get it right. Before releasing the next title get your costs straight and have a marketing strategy in place. If everyone is happy with POTC, they will likely buy Toy Story, Willy Wonka, whatever is next, etc....

#263 1 year ago

Also, I think it would help them if they changed their image too. There is no way that they should be compared to Stern. The volume isn’t there. They need to rebrand themselves as the premium boutique pinball manufacturer. Once they start cranking out games reassess, but that won’t be for years. There is something to be said about having the image of being the best and JJP is there IMO. They just need to restructure internally.

#264 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m just taking a guess but Di has 420 owners on pinside and that includes operator locations. Can’t see how they have sold thousands. Woz is at 1100 and hobbit around 580 pinsiders and locations.
They just aren’t super high volume is the point I was trying to make.

It's the price's of these newer games that makes people think twice about buying one and the people who hype up older games to make a fast buck and have no interest in the pin hobby so they would go up in value...Perfect example would be TZ and TAF,outrageous price spike!! It should be the opposite Newer games-high prices,Older games-Low reasonable prices.

#265 1 year ago
Quoted from adborto:

It’s seems like we will hear an update on Wednesday. Here is a question for all of you pinsiders - what do you think a manufacturer makes in term of margins? This has to play into their decision making process. What is going on with JJP’s marketing strategy? It doesn’t seem like they have one.
If this results in a less than 5% margin savings - I really think they are insulting their customer base. Most people who are buying this machine own all of the JJP titles. Their marketing team has to realize this. They have a loyal customer base. Heck - I can’t stand the Hobbit, but I own the game.
This might be a good time for them to give us what they promised and eat the cost savings. I have a hard time believing this is a reliability issue and if it is, take a few more months and get it right. Before releasing the next title get your costs straight and have a marketing strategy in place. If everyone is happy with POTC, they will likely buy Toy Story, Willy Wonka, whatever is next, etc....

You can’t stand The Hobbit, but own one......makes sense to me

#266 1 year ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Familiarity breeds contempt.

#267 1 year ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

The movies not the game. JJP IMO did a great job making a fun game regardless of the theme.

#268 1 year ago

They should put a giant Johnny Depp face where the wheel was.

#269 1 year ago

What an amazing feature. I would be very disappointed personally if I bought the game knowing that feature would be present only to learn that they are deleting that feature. This would be huge for me.

#270 1 year ago

Time to retheme it Goonies and call it a day.

#271 1 year ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Time to retheme it Goonies and call it a day.

That would really be awesome!

#272 1 year ago

I'm sorry, but you can't charge the prices they're asking for these games and then rip out one of the two biggest selling points at the last minute. You just can't do that and expect people to be okay with that and no price change?

I played it at TPF, I had a MASSIVE game that went on for 30-45 minutes, so I got a very good feel for how the triple disc mech played when it was working correctly. It. Was. Amazing. I've seen magnets do some fun stuff, but you know what I've never seen in pinball before?

The ball take a path down the middle of the playfield that looked like \/\ <--that but vertical, within an inch and a half constraint. The ball came STDM, and literally changed direction THREE TIMES and STILL ended up in the middle because it faked me out and I mis-flipped. It was hilarious, and over in a second and a half. Really disappointing...it was looking like the best JJP title so far, now it's just the next Dialed In to me.

Pachislo and other slot machines have had stepper controlled reels that can spin in both directions, stop where the game wants it to stop without it being obvious to the player, and backlit RGB for *years*. The only difference here is size and weight aside from a ball rolling around on top of it, but when you'd need it to critically stop to reward a mystery, wouldn't the ball be in a scoop or something!? ...it sounds to me like they just haven't done proper engineering for that mech.

Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Since it’s already been revealed

This is the rub against the grain for me.. not that I was ever a buyer, but as a follower of the market and a player. Stern did a similar thing with Star Trek...anyone remember that? The VUK on the premium/pro on that left side was supposed to somehow shoot the ball up onto the warp ramp? They found out in testing that it wasn't reliable when you couldn't guarantee a solid electrical system on location, and pulled it out of the game. But you know the difference? They didn't bring it to the biggest shows around the country, or even show it on promotional material BEFORE they pulled it. =| Star Trek was disappointing, but this completely guts the soul of this game, I feel like. The upper right mini playfield is more annoying than fun to me. It's neat, but it's a chore. The triple-disc introduced a lot of random ball pathing that the game DESPARATELY needs and a single disc ain't going to cut it.

#273 1 year ago
Quoted from spinal:

It's not final as there's one more final that comes after that final

114 (resized).jpg

#274 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm sorry, but you can't charge the prices they're asking for these games and then rip out one of the two biggest selling points at the last minute. You just can't do that and expect people to be okay with that and no price change?
I played it at TPF, I had a MASSIVE game that went on for 30-45 minutes, so I got a very good feel for how the triple disc mech played when it was working correctly. It. Was. Amazing. I've seen magnets do some fun stuff, but you know what I've never seen in pinball before?
The ball take a path down the middle of the playfield that looked like \/\ <--that but vertical, within an inch and a half constraint. The ball came STDM, and literally changed direction THREE TIMES and STILL ended up in the middle because it faked me out and I mis-flipped. It was hilarious, and over in a second and a half. Really disappointing...it was looking like the best JJP title so far, now it's just the next Dialed In to me.
Pachislo and other slot machines have had stepper controlled reels that can spin in both directions, stop where the game wants it to stop without it being obvious to the player, and backlit RGB for *years*. The only difference here is size and weight aside from a ball rolling around on top of it, but when you'd need it to critically stop to reward a mystery, wouldn't the ball be in a scoop or something!? ...it sounds to me like they just haven't done proper engineering for that mech.

This is the rub against the grain for me.. not that I was ever a buyer, but as a follower of the market and a player. Stern did a similar thing with Star Trek...anyone remember that? The VUK on the premium/pro on that left side was supposed to somehow shoot the ball up onto the warp ramp? They found out in testing that it wasn't reliable when you couldn't guarantee a solid electrical system on location, and pulled it out of the game. But you know the difference? They didn't bring it to the biggest shows around the country, or even show it on promotional material BEFORE they pulled it. =| Star Trek was disappointing, but this completely guts the soul of this game, I feel like. The upper right mini playfield is more annoying than fun to me. It's neat, but it's a chore. The triple-disc introduced a lot of random ball pathing that the game DESPARATELY needs and a single disc ain't going to cut it.

Well said and excellent points.

#275 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Pinside is not the world. JJP is definitely selling more than in the hundreds per game.

I do not remember if the original LE runs for WOZ and TH were 1,000 or 1,500 but they did sell out DI LE at 2,500 has not

#276 1 year ago
Quoted from JY64:

I do not remember if the original LE runs for WOZ and TH were 1,000 or 1,500 but they did sell out DI LE at 2,500 has not

Its on its way ... remember its not even been shipping a year yet. Its gaining alot of steam especially now with this potc spinner gate . Plus its 2500 at a price of 9k so it will take longer than woz and hobbit did. But overall i think its doing very well with so much other competition .

#277 1 year ago

To add to my prior points.... I think replacing the triple-disc with magnets would've been a better choice than a single spinner. Game really needs that unpredictability to keep the game times from being absolutely ludicrous like Hobbit. There's FIVE mulitballs that are relatively easy to achieve and they stack (ask me how I know...oh, that's right, I played them all, with double stacks twice!)... without some kind of randomizer that's occasionally going to bork the player short of them screwing up (almost every ball I lost was due to missing the right or left ramp shot, and bad angle off a post) it's just going to be WAY too long playing for my taste more likely than not. It's a deep game, it needs some fun punishment to keep things interesting for solo players who don't have anyone to plunder.

#278 1 year ago
Quoted from JY64:

Both WoZ and TH had INCREDIBLY long lead times of YEARS with all the delays and revamps, so it's no surprise their lower-run LEs were sold out shortly after launch. DI LE at about halfway to 2500 LEs in 11 months is pretty impressive for a ~$9,000 machine. Stern is too afraid to even try 166 more LEs on THEIR BEST MACHINE IN YEARS when it makes total sense, preferring to stay at 500, while JJP is producing 5x more. That's confidence.

#279 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

Your description of the ball movement from those spinning discs are spot on. Crazy they would even consider taking out the best feature that the game was designed around IMO.

#280 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Both WoZ and TH had INCREDIBLY long lead times of YEARS with all the delays and revamps, so it's no surprise their lower-run LEs were sold out shortly after launch. DI LE at about halfway to 2500 LEs in 11 months is pretty impressive for a ~$9,000 machine. Stern is too afraid to even try 166 more LEs on THEIR BEST MACHINE IN YEARS when it makes total sense, preferring to stay at 500, while JJP is producing 5x more. That's confidence.

What it is is ridiculous.

2500 is a JOKE!

They have no LE even though they call it that

Stern is doing it right trying to actually “limit” the number and not bastardize the entire LE concept

JJP got the CE number right

#281 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

DI LE at about halfway to 2500 LEs in 11 months is pretty impressive for a ~$9,000 machine. Stern is too afraid to even try 166 more LEs on THEIR BEST MACHINE IN YEARS when it makes total sense, preferring to stay at 500, while JJP is producing 5x more. That's confidence.

Confidence, or JJP doesn't care if they sell out of an LE promptly (or ever, I guess). Production is just as limited as if it were an LE of 1,000,000 -- still limited so long as they never make more than that, but not really designed to make people buy due to a fear of missing out, and won't demand a premium beyond whatever the extras at the LE level (invisiglass, shaker, etc.) are worth. I have zero problem with this, even if it does seem funny that JJP's LEs will always be less rare than their Standards.

#282 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Confidence, or JJP doesn't care if they sell out of an LE promptly (or ever, I guess). Production is just as limited as if it were an LE of 1,000,000 -- still limited so long as they never make more than that, but not really designed to make people buy due to a fear of missing out, and won't demand a premium beyond whatever the extras at the LE level (invisiglass, shaker, etc.) are worth. I have zero problem with this, even if it does seem funny that JJP's LEs will always be less rare than their Standards.

That's why they should really call their LEs SEs. They're more Special Editions than Limited, even if they are technically limited. But their CEs definitely need a LOT more pizazz to justify their $12,500 price.

#283 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Ah yes, insult the company who leaves money on the table to actually keep something limited even after they see how fast they all sell out, while defending the company who sells a number of LE's, then goes oh wait, that wasn't enough so we are making this NEW LE model that is better then the first LE. Oh that didnt work either, well with this game we will have a model called the LE but we are just going to produce thousands of them until they stop selling, thus making the LE term completely useless. Thats not confidence, thats selling your product as something its not, and a shitty business practice.

#284 1 year ago
Quoted from TheWizard00:

Ah yes, insult the company who leaves money on the table to actually keep something limited even after they see how fast they all sell out, while defending the company who sells a number of LE's, then goes oh wait, that wasn't enough so we are making this NEW LE model that is better then the first LE. Oh that didnt work either, well with this game we will have a model called the LE but we are just going to produce thousands of them until they stop selling, thus making the LE term completely useless. Thats not confidence, thats selling your product as something its not, and a shitty business practice.

Wait, are you really trying to say Stern isn't guilty of this same thing? With TWO LEs for AC/DC and then an THIRD Premium that was actually more rare than the LEs were, becoming accidentally sought after as a result? You picked a losing line of debate.

#285 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Wait, are you really trying to say Stern isn't guilty of this same thing? With TWO LEs for AC/DC and then an THIRD Premium that was actually more rare than the LEs were, becoming accidentally sought after as a result? You picked a losing line of debate.

Actually the first Luci did not sell at all. I remember it being put for sale from a distributor for way less than the original price and it still did not sell quickly. They got sought after later.

#286 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Actually Stern made 500 Le's total, with 300 being one package and 200 the other package, when people ordered they knew they could pick between the 2, both options were available up front. They didn't buy one game, and then after those all sold out, thinking they had something unique and limited find out the company was then then making ANOTHER Le. Luci also wasn't pitched as a Le or limited run, that happened on its own after the fact that most people who wanted an AC/DC already had one.

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Actually the first Luci did not sell at all. I remember it being put for sale from a distributor for way less than the original price and it still did not sell quickly. They got sought after later.

Of course. But making a very low run "special" Premium that was essentially a stealth LE with new art was just as "unethical" as what the other poster was decrying. That was the point.

#288 1 year ago
Quoted from TheWizard00:

Actually Stern made 500 Le's total, with 300 being one package and 200 the other package, when people ordered they knew they could pick between the 2, both options were available up front. They didn't buy one game, and then after those all sold out, thinking they had something unique and limited find out the company was then then making ANOTHER Le. Luci also wasn't pitched as a Le or limited run, that happened on its own after the fact that most people who wanted an AC/DC already had one.

I know the story (we have a LTBR LE here). But Luci was essentially a stealth LE with all-new art to juice the AC/DC license a bit more, and ended up being the rarest of them all, making it sought-after as time went on. Exactly the kind of thing that was being decried with JJP.

castle_18-04-03 (resized).jpg

#289 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

#290 1 year ago

IDK why people care about how many LEs there are for JJP games. I'm glad that I can purchase one and not have to pay a higher premium than the price tag the game already has on it. A finite number is in fact, limited. If you want to be an elitist, get the collector's edition. At the end of the day it's just the name that's put on it for "x" model with "x" features, so who cares?

#291 1 year ago

Yes, this just re affirms my decision to bail on this and buy a Twister instead.

#292 1 year ago

very easy to drop out of buying potc with stern iron maiden release and you can get very fast and not wait 4-6 more months.

#293 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, this just re affirms my decision to bail on this and buy a Twister instead.

Are you working on a Paxton memorial collection?

#294 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Of course. But making a very low run "special" Premium that was essentially a stealth LE with new art was just as "unethical" as what the other poster was decrying. That was the point.

I have no idea what you guys are arguing about but you realize Luci was "very low run" because there was no interest in it and it didn't sell, right?

It didn't become a coveted "LE" until later. No nefarious evil doings on Stern's part.

#295 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Are you working on a Paxton memorial collection?

No, but Twister has the most awesome spinning disc of them all!

At least now it does...

#296 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have no idea what you guys are arguing about but you realize Luci was "very low run" because there was no interest in it and it didn't sell, right?
It didn't become a coveted "LE" until later. No nefarious evil doings on Stern's part.

The POINT was pinball manufacturers have made additional runs with new art before, undercutting existing LEs. This isn't a JJP-only thing.

Number-Cat (resized).jpg

#297 1 year ago

Think big! This is JJP. Replace the hole with a scratch resistant gorila glass and project animations from under the PF like waves, ships, gold, and storms like the picture below. If done right, this would make everyone forget about the three concentric ring spinning disks. One big spinning disk is an old toy which would just remind us of what was meant to be there. If JJP does not do something like that, some enterprising mod maker should.

Vortex (resized).jpg

#298 1 year ago

Why do people keep trying to turn the disc into the maelstrom, it's already on the game as the left ramp

#299 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

But their CEs definitely need a LOT more pizazz to justify their $12,500 price.

I prefer to select my own charity when giving away 3K.

#300 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmike:

It should be the opposite Newer games-high prices,Older games-Low reasonable prices.

Yeah, but the old games have the 3 spinning discs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
There are 676 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside