pasted_image (resized).png
03686A98-4829-491D-8F42-D125617444A9 (resized).png
jjp_loyal_customer (resized).jpg
business.gif
IMG_20180423_141418 (resized).jpg
I5oQs3.gif
E697E83B-91E0-417A-9022-3D8D3FD838D8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 676 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.
#201 6 years ago

I played the 3 disk center at the Las Vegas Amusement Expo and thought that part was, by far, the best part of the game.
Was really great...

Shame.

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

I played the 3 disk center at the Las Vegas Amusement Expo and thought that part was, by far, the best part of the game.
Was really great...
Shame.

It doesn’t hurt that it was visually appealing and nice to look at either!

They replaced it with spinning barf splatter!

#203 6 years ago

JJP needs to come out and address these rumors and speculation. Seems to be a lot of unhappy potential customers, especially those that preordered

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’d love an original theme. Just not that one

I can't argue with that, I don't really dig DI's theme, I just like the idea of non-licensed games selling. I wouldn't buy it, I'm counting on other people to do it for me.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

JJP needs to come out and address these rumors and speculation. Seems to be a lot of unhappy potential customers, especially those that preordered

What rumors and speculation?

They released an official video clearly and explicitly detailing their plans. Did you watch it?

#206 6 years ago

TBH I was out once Eric cut me off at TPF when I was waiting in line for over an hour to play. I’m sure he’s a nice guy but that was a jerk move. Just to show some dude and his kid every inch of the game for an hour as they pretended they were thinking of preordering. I called and cancelled that second. Peace out ✌️

#207 6 years ago

OK started a poll - please vote:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-save-the-3-disks-poll#post-4340983

Thanks for your help.

#208 6 years ago

Keep in mind: this is just a pinball machine. It’s a toy designed for fun and to make money. It’s not the cure for cancer or the end-all-be-all for happiness. You read through this thread and You’d think JJP had just ripped the happiness and future viability of adults from coast to coast.

Tons of games have had features pulled or altered through their design process, whether it be for money or reliability. That’s a fact.

So, JJP made a mistake of showing what they thought would be a final version of a game. Now they have to make some changes. Deposits are also refundable - so no harm/no foul. And even if they weren’t, The onus falls on the buyer to make sure there is documentation in place that guarantees exactly what they are paying for.

As far as I can see, life goes on and lots of people will still buy and enjoy this game. Someone said it above: this game is still going to be a ton of fun to play.

How about looking for the positive, Pinside?

#209 6 years ago

I’m out on my le preorder. Not because of discgate but because as an operator I’ve learned no one cares about the title. It’s just another pin in most casual players eyes. Therefore why would I spend twice the amount of a decent stern that would earn just the same?

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Keep in mind: this is just a pinball machine. It’s a toy designed for fun and to make money. It’s not the cure for cancer or the end-all-be-all for happiness. You read through this thread and You’d think JJP had just ripped the happiness and future viability of adults from coast to coast.
Tons of games have had features pulled or altered through their design process, whether it be for money or reliability. That’s a fact.
So, JJP made a mistake of showing what they thought would be a final version of a game. Now they have to make some changes. Deposits are also refundable - so no harm/no foul. And even if they weren’t, The onus falls on the buyer to make sure there is documentation in place that guarantees exactly what they are paying for.
As far as I can see, life goes on and lots of people will still buy and enjoy this game. Someone said it above: this game is still going to be a ton of fun to play.
How about looking for the positive, Pinside?

Keep in mind: People were paying $12,500 or $9,500 for this. WERE.

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

As of now the poll shows 148 people backing out on POTC. I wonder how many of those people are now throwing their money at Stern for a Maiden? Me thinks alot.

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They released an official video clearly and explicitly detailing their plans. Did you watch it?

He posted that exact same comment, word for word, in about 4 other threads. Not sure what the deal is with that.

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

As of now the poll shows 148 people backing out on POTC. I wonder how many of those people are now throwing their money at Stern for a Maiden? Me thinks alot.

Funny you mention that . . . I just ordered one last night.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Exactly... under no duress or pressure... and it’s fully refundable. The collecting market validated that price point, not the manufacturer.

This story isn’t over, give JJP a chance to further the process whether it be price drop, additional compensation, or perhaps another answer to their issues.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There is a lot of speculation that things will get fixed like TH not happening

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

There is a lot of speculation that things will get fixed like TH not happening

I'd be stunned if jjp doesn't rethink their initial announcement after this and go back to the drawing board. I don't speak for all obviously but I a $500 discount is not going to matter to the actual buyers out there. So it better not just be a discount. They need to add some other cool features.

However I'm stunned they were silly enough to ever make this announcement and think it was going to go over well either. So what does anybody know. Lol

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

I'd be stunned if jjp doesn't rethink their initial announcement after this and go back to the drawing board. I don't speak for all obviously but I a $500 discount is not going to matter to the actual buyers out there. So it better not just be a discount. They need to add some other cool features.
However I'm stunned they were silly enough to ever make this announcement and think it was going to go over well either. So what does anybody know. Lol

Really, they have two choices - take their lumps and release Pirates with the catastrophically unpopular changes, or delay the machine to give time to redesign and test the wheel mech with belts instead of gears and do a release switcheroo with Toy Story. Depends on how much they want to save Pirates and how far along Toy Story is.

I say take their lumps and move on to better stories ahead is the correct move. Even if it's fixed with a delay, this game will always be tainted by this development.

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Really, they have two choices - take their lumps and release Pirates with the catastrophically unpopular changes, or delay the machine to give time to redesign and test the wheel mech with belts instead of gears and do a release switcheroo with Toy Story. Depends on how much they want to save Pirates and how far along Toy Story is.
I say take their lumps and move on to better stories ahead is the correct move. Even if it's fixed with a delay, this game will always be tainted by this development.

It's the biggest pinside blow up I've personally seen.
That's for sure. But very little info has been released about the changes. Seeing the new disc in action with different art. And then they add a new feature or two. And I could see that being enough.

#219 6 years ago

The disc was cool but in gameplay I'm not sure the multi disk would afect the ball so much as a single one. It looked cool. I want to play it. I'd rather have magnets.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I agree with the options except they should fix it with a delay

The game might be tainted but the company certainly will be if they punt this

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

The disc was cool but in gameplay I'm not sure the multi disk would afect the ball so much as a single one. It looked cool. I want to play it. I'd rather have magnets.

It really doesn’t help that the new art on the single wheel is looking like absolute shit. No animated trunk either.

They are taking the easy way out.

#222 6 years ago

I love my WOZ. Best game they ever made. The only way back from this is to make a bad ass Pink Floyd pin with all the visuals WOZ offers

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

It's the biggest pinside blow up I've personally seen.
That's for sure. But very little info has been released about the changes. Seeing the new disc in action with different art. And then they add a new feature or two. And I could see that being enough.

I dunno, the video from the designer is pretty final and self-explanatory:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-updates-for-production

The depressing part is where he is introducing the new wheel, had nothing good to say about it and ends up at "You can see the art there and how it looks...um <sharp head nod>...and there it is" then moves on. He's clearly not happy about the situation.

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

After potentially over $1 million in lost sales JJP may change something.

#225 6 years ago

I played it at Expo and liked my original better. I like Jack and his visions but this will be a major step back for them. I really think they could knock a music pin out the park with strong visual stimulation and basic playfield layout

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I really think they could knock a music pin out the park with strong visual stimulation and basic playfield layout

Like say....Guns n Roses?

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The depressing part is where he is introducing the new wheel, had nothing good to say about it and ends up at "You can see the art there and how it looks...um <sharp head nod>...and there it is" then moves on. He's clearly not happy about the situation.

I thought it was sort of a half ass way to make such a big announcement and may have been better received coming from Jack himself and a little more substance as to why this decision was made. As you point out in your post, body language says a lot and I get the impression this is coming from higher up and may have nothing to do with reliability even though Eric said that.

Just my hunch

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

After potentially over $1 million in lost sales JJP may change something.

It's a lot in unearned dollars, but in percentage terms likely 5% or less of total lifetime sales. The real dollars opportunity cost to fix it may be more expensive than just taking the lumps now.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's a lot in unearned dollars, but in percentage terms likely 5% or less of total lifetime sales. The real dollars opportunity cost to fix it may be more expensive than just taking the lumps now.

Partially true but they do have a fixed cost of licensing, development and materials that they are on the hook for. This machine hasn’t earned them anything back yet.
At 10k I think many will pull the plug if something isn’t fixed.
They don’t sell thousands of any of their titles, we are talking several hundreds over lifetime and if 100+ cancel in near term this is a BIG problem.

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The real dollars opportunity cost to fix it may be more expensive than just taking the lumps now.

Remember the disastrous debut of TH at EXPO a few years back? It was such a bomb that they pulled it back and redesigned a bunch of stuff by committee after they had already gotten rid of the game designer. After over a year delay, the game finally came out and was a lackluster release at best.

I say redo the artwork on the single spinning disk and do what it takes to make the chest open and close. At least it will stay pretty much on schedule and if a few people actually do back out, you try to get them back by having it be a good game with complete software.

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I dunno, the video from the designer is pretty final

It's not final as there's one more final that comes after that final - whether or not buyers buy.

#232 6 years ago

Pink Floyd or Guns and roses might be hard to negotiate due to band discourse. Maybe Led Zeppelin or Greatful Dead.

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Exactly... under no duress or pressure... and it’s fully refundable. The collecting market validated that price point, not the manufacturer.
This story isn’t over, give JJP a chance to further the process whether it be price drop, additional compensation, or perhaps another answer to their issues.

I agree...Give it some time...All I ask is NO dinners....I do like my DIALED IN CE jacket...But No Dinners...Still waiting for the announcement for Dialed In CE Owners..

But going to give it time and more thought....You got to remember there is still alot in this game...But I do get it...$12,500 is alot and even $9500 is alot.

Maybe a good time to push for that Powder Coated Coin Door...Hmmm.

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They don’t sell thousands of any of their titles, we are talking several hundreds over lifetime and if 100+ cancel in near term this is a BIG problem.

Wow, I’m surprised to hear that. I always figured they sold at least a thousand of each of their titles. If they only sell hundreds then losing sales would be even more painful.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Wow, I’m surprised to hear that. I always figured they sold at least a thousand of each of their titles. If they only sell hundreds then losing sales would be even more painful.

I’m just taking a guess but Di has 420 owners on pinside and that includes operator locations. Can’t see how they have sold thousands. Woz is at 1100 and hobbit around 580 pinsiders and locations.
They just aren’t super high volume is the point I was trying to make.

#236 6 years ago

right now I think the smartest move for JJP would be is to reskin DILE. It could stimulate sales for a bit while they figure out this cluster-F of a change. They need to double check their engineering and not slam a ninja turtles pizza on it.

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

right now I think the smartest move for JJP would be is to reskin DILE. It could stimulate sales for a bit while they figure out this cluster-F of a change. They need to double check their engineering and not slam a ninja turtles pizza on it.

On the other hand if they slam a Ninja Turtles Pizza on DI ... (fun to imagine but probably not a good long-term business plan, as then people would hold off buying original themes to see if they reskin it).

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

JJP sells in the thousands - multiple thousands sometimes. Anyone telling you otherwise is a moron. You don't re-up the WoZ license again if it's not selling well.

#239 6 years ago

The news about the change has now gone world wide, wow!

POTC_news.jpgPOTC_news.jpg

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m just taking a guess but Di has 420 owners on pinside and that includes operator locations. Can’t see how they have sold thousands. Woz is at 1100 and hobbit around 580 pinsiders and locations.
They just aren’t super high volume is the point I was trying to make.

Pinside is not the world. JJP is definitely selling more than in the hundreds per game.

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pinside is not the world. JJP is definitely selling more than in the hundreds per game.

How do you know this?

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JJP sells in the thousands - multiple thousands sometimes. Anyone telling you otherwise is a moron. You don't re-up the WoZ license again if it's not selling well.

I think multiple thousands is an awfully strong statement. I would truly be amazed if they have sold more than 2000-2500 Woz.

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

True but it is a pretty large segment of a relatively small hobby/gaming world community.

Edit - as I stated the point I was trying to make is they aren’t Stern. They maybe do one title per year or so and aren’t a super high volume producer. If there is a serious blunder it could be devastating to JJP.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

How do you know this?

I know.

#245 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

True but it is a pretty large segment of a relatively small hobby/gaming world community.

But not a big segment of the amusement world at large. There are plenty of operators who have never even been to pinside and, believe it or not, plenty more who have never even heard of it.

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I think multiple thousands is an awfully strong statement. I would truly be amazed if they have sold more than 2000-2500 Woz.

It's really not that hard, especially for WoZ, to figure out, even without inside information.

ECLE was 1000 units confirmed. Those sales were completed YEARS ago. That leaves only 1000 units to sell to reach 2000, split between the "Standard" EC version and the Ruby Red one. Ruby Red came out almost FOUR years ago, and Jack re-upped the WoZ license last year, calling it "evergreen" for sales.

Lets say the Standard sold 500. That would leave the Ruby Red to have sold 500, which is only 125/year (over 4 years) - ~10 units a month. It did better than that, and Jack's re-up is a strong indicator that it will continue to do so. That conjecture alone, with no inside information used, reasonably puts the three versions of WoZ at 2000 units total. But I'll tell you it's more.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Edit - as I stated the point I was trying to make is they aren’t Stern. They maybe do one title per year or so and aren’t a super high volume producer. If there is a serious blunder it could be devastating to JJP.

Generally speaking, only about 30-40% of owners bother listing thier collections on Pinside. 98 of 150 AMH and 172 of 300 RZ are on the higher side.

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But not a big segment of the amusement world at large. There are plenty of operators who have never even been to pinside and, believe it or not, plenty more who have never even heard of it.

Yep they have sold alot of woz over the past 5 years. Hobbit has did ok and di is doing pretty well for its short time out.

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Pirates really screwed up Jack's plan to have 2018 be the year they finally get to 2 titles released a year. His goal is to get to three a year, which will now likely be 2020 at the earliest. With his deep-pockets investor he now has the capital to do it. JJP just has to get through the growing pains. They're condensing the decades of growth and learning of Stern and Bally/Williams into a very short time and it's not always going to be smooth sailing. But kudos to them for plugging away at it and raising the bar for EVERYONE in the process. You wouldn't have seen a PRO Iron Maiden that looks as good it does without JJP and AP heating up the expectations of the market.

Now if they'd just move that moronic new knee-level headphone jack placement on DI and Pirates, sales would really take off!

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pirates really screwed up Jack's plan to have 2018 be the year they finally get to 2 titles released a year. His goal is to get to three a year. With his deep-pocket's investor he has the capital to do it. JJP just has to get through the growing pains. They're condensing the decades of growth and learning of Stern and Bally/Williams into a very short time and it's not always going to be smooth sailing. But kudos to them for plugging away at it and raising the bar for EVERYONE in the process. You wouldn't have seen a PRO Iron Maiden that looks as good it does without JJP and AP heating up the expectations of the market.

They make great machines. I hope they come up with a reasonable solution for POTC.
I was really excited for this one, especially as my first JJP machine in the collection.
I’m not cancelling yet but if that replacement disk stays, I’m out.
The chest, I’m not too concerned about.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 676 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-second-guessing-their-jjp-potc-preorder/page/5?hl=arcadem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.