pasted_image (resized).png
03686A98-4829-491D-8F42-D125617444A9 (resized).png
jjp_loyal_customer (resized).jpg
business.gif
IMG_20180423_141418 (resized).jpg
I5oQs3.gif
E697E83B-91E0-417A-9022-3D8D3FD838D8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 676 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
#101 6 years ago

I didn't feel like the disks at tpf worked great. Felt like they were rubbing or sticking.

Also didn't feel like the disks made a huge difference in gameplay. I know they were testing out different surfaces (in the weekly videos).

Without the disks this game is still pretty incredible. Still in for an LE.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

...didn't feel like the disks made a huge difference in gameplay.

#103 6 years ago

I did not see that during my time at tpf. Like I said they seemed like they were sticking or rubbing.

#104 6 years ago

Here's in my opinion the ideal solution.

One giant disk looks out of place and doesn't appear to represent anything from the movies. 3 smaller disks that could fit within the same playfield cutout would mean no major playfield changes. Heck, this would probably be even better then the original design for customers seeing that the map would still live on through the LCD, 3 spinning disks could represent something entirely different adding yet another layer of depth to the game.

3 of these motors and disks could be used in a triangle configuration where the current disk is. A bracket that would hold all 3 would fill in the entire cutout area which could then be removed for easy serviceability.

disk_3 (resized).JPGdisk_3 (resized).JPG

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One giant disk looks out of place and doesn't appear to represent anything from the movies. 3 smaller disks that could fit within the same playfield cutout would mean no major playfield changes. Heck, this would probably be even better then the original design for customers seeing that the map would still live on through the LCD, 3 spinning disks could represent something entirely different adding yet another layer of depth to the game.
3 of these motors and disks could be used in a triangle configuration where the current disk is. A bracket that would hold all 3 would fill in the entire cutout area which could then be removed for easy serviceability.

how many different places you going to post your brilliant idea?
you know you're going to talk yourself into buying it either way.

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

So you take a car for a test drive, make a deposit and month later the dealership call you and says... "Sorry but the manufacturer couldn't get the power windows to work so put in manual. Oh and AC failed during tests so they just put in a larger fan instead. Oh and it's the same sticker price."

That's not really a fair comparison. Car companies churn out 500,000+ of a model. The car parts you are describing are common, easy to manufacture, and have decades of legacy in their engineering and design. Dealerships just don't have to make calls like this. And if they ever did, it would be without stress. The phone call would contain something like "can we interest you in x model instead?"

Pinball companies churn out a few hundred of any model. It's to a very niche market place. This is a toy with no legacy in engineering or design. If it turns out that what they intended to do at the prototype stage just isn't viable, it just shouldn't lead to armchair outrage by the customers and curious bystanders.

#107 6 years ago

Still in on an LE, I feel bad for Eric that this didn’t work out. Remember in the beginning where the toys were the most important thing and then the game was built around them? I am confident JJP is, and has been working hard on this issue. At a minimum that art front center of the game has to change.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

» YouTube video

It kinda reminds me of a game i do believe it was made by Sega...It had a spinning disc and it would collect 3 balls in the middle(Magnet) and spin wildly and then it would release the balls going in different directions..Very Cool feature but i can't remember the name of the pin...

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's the TOYS!!!

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

It kinda reminds me of a game i do believe it was made by Sega...It had a spinning disc and it would collect 3 balls in the middle(Magnet) and spin wildly and then it would release the balls going in different directions..Very Cool feature but i can't remember the name of the pin...

Twister

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Very poor mock-up of 3 discs (a-la-Whirlwind) with pointers for the award feature:

JJP-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-playfield 3 discs (resized).jpgJJP-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-playfield 3 discs (resized).jpg

#112 6 years ago

That's idea makes no sense. Do your research on why the discs spin the way they did from the movie itself. The spinning map is a prop from the movie. Separated like that doesn't follow the theme whatsoever.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Very poor mock-up of 3 discs (a-la-Whirlwind) with pointers for the award feature:

Is this a joke?
Why does everyone think they have a solution to, what appears to Jjp as, not even a problem.
Jjp addressed the issue and made the changes according to their designers and professional staff. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Is this a joke?
Why does everyone think they have a solution to, what appears to Jjp as, not even a problem.
Jjp addressed the issue and made the changes according to their designers and professional staff. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

Can I get an Amen!

#115 6 years ago

They should just scrap the spinning disc altogether and figure something else out for the center of the playfield. The single disc doesn't really make sense either.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Can't wait for a New York based podcast on this topic.

Already released!

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Is this a joke?

Not buying it. Canceled my deposit

#118 6 years ago

Now close to $1 million in potential lost revenue dollars over this change if the polls actually hold. Let's hope JJP changes and / or adds something to POTC.

I think JJP has a chance to make POTC even better then it was before with some of the proposed changes in this thread. Please listen to the pinball community JJP, make some changes and sell a ton of these pins.

#119 6 years ago

Deposit Canceled today. If anyone is interested in CE #17 it is now available with a free Pizza Spatula! Sorry but this decision is Not what I would call a "few minor Tweaks". So really wanted this game and Sincerely feel bad for Eric. He rocketed toward pinball stardom only to have his visions and creation crushed by poor business decisions. I only hope he will not let this defeat sway his future vision and creativity. He is Very talented. For now CGC is up and no matter what the title I am In!

#120 6 years ago

Before anyone actually cancels I would say wait for JJP's response. Why? JJP has proven to us that they listen to customer feedback. With the Hobbit they went through and made a ton of positive changes to the game after first revealing it based on community feedback. Maybe something similar will happen here with POTC.

#121 6 years ago

Interesting example of why pinball companies don’t share more information with us, prior to announcing their release.
Had JJP originally announced this game with a single spinning wheel and an open-only chest, I wonder if most people wouldn’t still be super excited about this game.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Deposit Canceled today. If anyone is interested in CE #17 it is now available with a free Pizza Spatula! Sorry but this decision is Not what I would call a "few minor Tweaks". So really wanted this game and Sincerely feel bad for Eric. He rocketed toward pinball stardom only to have his visions and creation crushed by poor business decisions. I only hope he will not let this defeat sway his future vision and creativity. He is Very talented. For now CGC is up and no matter what the title I am In!

Crap! I was hoping you would make a mod to replace the spinning vomit pizza.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

Crap! I was hoping you would make a mod to replace the spinning vomit pizza.

If I had Any talent in writing code to make it work I would have made a drop in spinning triple Disk mod kit! Short of a can of Krylon Nothing is going to make that pizza look good and I have seen many bad pizza's even in Chicago!

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Before anyone actually cancels I would say wait for JJP's response. Why? JJP has proven to us that they listen to customer feedback. With the Hobbit they went through and made a ton of positive changes to the game after first revealing it based on community feedback. Maybe something similar will happen here with POTC.

In talking to Eric at MGC today that Is the final decision and what you see is what is happening! Let production begin. I SO feel for Eric as he is one Super creative and talented guy. This change to his masterpiece would crush most artists spirits.

#125 6 years ago

I have no skin in the game, but I feel sorry for JJP. I love competition...it makes for a better product for the consumer. This is not a small step backwards...it is epic. The 3 disk was truly innovative. Either this is a horrible decision by JJP, or there is a big problem with the mech. Response to price, or other innovation by JJP, will decide this pins fate.

#126 6 years ago

I'll take one of the prototypes to go please.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

In talking to Eric at MGC today that Is the final decision and what you see is what is happening! Let production begin. I SO feel for Eric as he is one Super creative and talented guy. This change to his masterpiece would crush most artists spirits.

Wow, that sucks. I still had a shred of hope that they would find a better solution than what is shown in that video.

So, is the pizza version there at MGC?

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

A sad day in JJP land.....hope they sell enough to keep going....

#129 6 years ago

Yes!! Thank you,Twister

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Wow, that sucks. I still had a shred of hope that they would find a better solution than what is shown in that video.
So, is the pizza version there at MGC?

Nope still the Quality full featured version as I originally ordered. Sadly they were still handing out all of the stock literature showcasing the 216 combination spinning diskS. Personally I would have burned all that literature with hopes people didn't see the original. Probably to late to showcase the Pizza Hut revision with such short notice?

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

I'll take one of the prototypes to go please.

Good thinking and if you have trouble/problems with the spinning disc just call me i'll be on my way to fix it...Lol!!
and i'll play a few games...

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

how many different places you going to post your brilliant idea?
you know you're going to talk yourself into buying it either way.

Panzer? No way Ballz, less toys is no bueno in Panzer land.

It won't stop him from whining about it though

#133 6 years ago

we just passed a 100 supposed cancellations....

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ill b getting refund then and getting something else

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Not bad for a days work and a single announcement decision though Most company's hope an announcement will generate Positive cash revenue!

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

It's going way past 100. Zero room for error when you charge that much $$$.

And i feel really bad for those guys.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Yes!! Thank you,Twister

Lost in space also has the same feature.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Let's hope it doesn't go The Hobbit route - tons of delays, revamps, and changes and then a release well after the last movie hit DVD when the promotional impact was gone. I say JJP should take their lumps, code the hell out of what they have left and move on to more profitable, less controversial waters with Toy Story and Willy Wonka.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

A sad day in JJP land.....hope they sell enough to keep going....

They're going to be just fine, but the sooner they get what has become a release disaster behind them and move on to more profitable releases, the better.

#140 6 years ago

[sigh] when will people learn not to preorder

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Taking your lumps on the first time out will build character and temper unrealistic ambition. He'll be fine. He clearly has a lot of talent.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

move on to more profitable, less controversial waters with Toy Story and Willy Wonka.

Totally agree with this, in a hurry, as fast as they can.

"Coughlan's law, bury the dead, all they do is stink up the joint" (Cocktail)

It's a totally sad day but just move on.

But get it together for crying out loud.

Btw, it's NOT a "preorder"!

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ill b getting refund then and getting something else

So much for selling everything and having just a JJP lineup

#144 6 years ago

The fact is JJP blew it showing the game so early, it was a mistake. They had a ton of positive vibes coming off the reveal, but they hype wore off over time, and the opportunity already felt like it was slipping. These are emotional purchases (for a shit load of money) you gotta be careful how you spend your excitement currency.

Stern has the right model, show the game, ship it.

Now there's been months of hype over a feature they took away, and that's even worse.

I feel for them, sucks that it went down this way, but I can't help but feel that a lot of it is of their own making. They wanted the Expo reveal, but it wasn't the right time, and they're paying for pushing it that way.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Yikes!!! 100 x 7-8K it really starts adding up.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Lost in space also has the same feature.

That's the game i was thinking of... Really cool feature..

#148 6 years ago

The real issue is what was issue with disc? I saw zero issues with it at expo...no real explanation in that YouTube vid. I'm gimmicks man myself. They should offer anyone who preordered the muti disc and detail the problems!

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Its easy when its a fully refundable one just to hold a spot....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 676 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-second-guessing-their-jjp-potc-preorder/page/3?hl=blueberryjohnson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.