(Topic ID: 53979)

Who is really to blame for the high LE market values ?

By stretch2

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

meh.ro9899.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    250px-Judgewapner_01.jpg
    Escalated.gif
    CANSP.jpg
    steve.jpg
    Head,_Move.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

your right, that would mean one more MOP LE on the market that could potentially drive down your "pump and dump" asking price!

It would also mean that you could never complete your GED. Glad you're alive...wouldn't want another burden on society.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

It would also mean that you could never complete your GED. Glad you're alive...wouldn't want another burden on society.

Discriminating against the underprivileged? WOW DUDE! So those that have not been fortunate enough to get a high school degree are a "burden"?

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Discriminating against the underprivileged? WOW DUDE! So those that have not been fortunate enough to get a high school degree are a "burden"?

Yes...yes they are. Any other questions?

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

There is no blame to be assessed. It's economics, supply and demand.
    Stern releases a "limited" edition. That's the important word. It's limited, it's in demand. There go the prices.
    People may complain, but every LE is sold, so that says that the product is worth the price and the economy is strong enough to support people spending it.

This is really all there is to it. A limited edition is produced at lower supply levels than what market equilibrium would dictate, solely for the purpose of keeping the price above what market equilibrium would dictate. Its a classic example of the monopolistic model:

http://catalog.flatworldknowledge.com/bookhub/reader/21?e=rittenberg-ch10_s04

The fact that there's money to be made in flipping these machines shows that Stern has actually set the price point too low for level of demand there is for those 500 machines. They could probably have made several hundred more and sold them at the same price, or sold the 500 they made for higher. If they could have predicted the demand for these I'm sure they would have. Since they didn't now the flippers get to take a piece of that green profit area, just imagine in that diagram Stern set the price a little below that Pm line, that's what's happening here.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from EricR:

This is really all there is to it. A limited edition is produced at lower supply levels than what market equilibrium would dictate, solely for the purpose of keeping the price above what market equilibrium would dictate. Its a classic example of the monopolistic model:
    http://catalog.flatworldknowledge.com/bookhub/reader/21?e=rittenberg-ch10_s04
    The fact that there's money to be made in flipping these machines shows that Stern has actually set the price point too low for level of demand there is for those 500 machines. They could probably have made several hundred more and sold them at the same price, or sold the 500 they made for higher. If they could have predicted the demand for these I'm sure they would have. Since they didn't now the flippers get to take a piece of that green profit area, just imagine in that diagram Stern set the price a little below that Pm line, that's what's happening here.

Stern cannot take every last dollar off the table, even if they were able to predict demand down to the exact number that would sell at that price because a big part of the market is artificial. If they priced it where the flippers are selling them, the demand would not be nearly as high. If they expanded the "Limited" to be time based, it could also fail. For their business model the method of hype they use fits perfectly. They do limit the highs a bit (Tron, Mettalica), but they also limit the lows (TF, XMEN). If every machine was a home run, then they could switch.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

For their business model the method of hype they use fits perfectly.

You nailed it. Its better to let some flipping keep the hype and full sell throughs. On some titles it just works and on some its crazy but as an average it keeps them in business.

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tseamans:

LE's are for dummies, plain and simple. Buy a premium and get the same damn game. Pay more money for stickers and backglass and you are a moron. PERIOD. End of discussion.

Metal Appron,Master of Puppets Decal,protection siderails,backglass and more

If you dont know that,who is the dummie moron here Jack!!! End of Discussion!

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from thunderking50:

etal Appron,Master of Puppets Decal,protection siderails,backglass and more

Actually the premium is a metal apron as well.

Cabinet Trim and Illuminated Metal Bottom Arch in Arctic Silver _ LE
    Cabinet Trim and Illuminated Metal Bottom Arch in Wrinkle Black _ Prem
    Black ABS Plastic Bottom Arch _ PRO

Master of Puppets Decal,protection siderails,backglass and more?

Yes to the decal and side rails and back glass ,but the more?

#59 10 years ago

Sorry Canada, someone had to say it.

CANSP.jpgCANSP.jpg

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Yes...yes they are. Any other questions?

Degrees are no guarantee for anything. A buddy of mine retired by the time he was 40 with barely a HS diploma... has superior business sense than 90% of the MBAs I've worked with.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Degrees are no guarantee for anything. A buddy of mine retired by the time he was 40 with barely a HS diploma... has superior business sense than 90% of the MBAs I've worked with.

I know a guy that smoked nearly every single day of his life and lived to be 90. And the conversation wasn't about "degrees." It was about a high school diploma. If you can't get a high school diploma in the U.S. your odds of being poor go up by 99.3%.

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

All I have is a GED, took the tests at the beginning of 10th grade and got the hell out of there.
    I semi retired at 50 but still run my corporation.
    I have 12 employees that run the company, I just do payroll and take care of the books.
    No college, didn't see any point in burying myself in usury with student loans.
    Who would I show the degree to?
    I own all my properties and everything else outright and can buy all the LEs I want.
    If I listened to an MBA I would have been out of business in a year, his idea to improve the bottom line was to fire my top employees and hire new people for less money.
    Idiot.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

All I have is a GED

That's all the original conversation was about until I got misquoted.

#64 10 years ago

Some things go up some go down, the market dictates the price. If you list too high it wont sell. I am not sure why everyone is so fixated on the pricing of other peoples machines. It seems some folks get their panties all in a wad because someone made $500 on a machine. But don't seem to care they lost $1000 on another game. At the end of the day its a hobby, and it should be fun. Life is to short to get all upset over what some wants to sell their game for. It is really up to the rightful owner of the machine....isn't it? It is after all their property, and their decision. If the market wont bare a $20000 MM, then it wont sell. If it does.....well then, I guess the owner sells it.

We live in a capitalist society. You know, the reason you can afford to buy pinball machines at all......You could move if you don't like it......

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Sorry Canada, someone had to say it.

Here another classic example of why its always our fault! You gotta love it! No one hurt! http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/05/24/edmonton-skagit-bridge-trucker-spruce-grove.html

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

That's all the original conversation was about until I got misquoted.

I apologize if I skewed your thought... If yours was a statement of odds, it is correct, but it's best to steer clear of generalizations. I treat the same all educational certificates used in lieu of or along with some level of experience, because they may not have any relevance to one's profession, and ultimately, the ability to buy a pinball machine.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I apologize if I skewed your thought... If yours was a statement of odds, it is correct, but it's best to steer clear of generalizations. I treat the same all educational certificates used in lieu of or along with some level of experience, because they may not have any relevance to one's profession, and ultimately, the ability to buy a pinball machine.

But, I never even said anything like that on the original thought. I merely was ripping on my favorite friend Cobray. I didn't bring up generalizations until my original quote was skewed beyond recognition. Quite frankly, I thought it was unfair and put me in the wrong light. And we even know each other.

#68 10 years ago

This thread is starting to escalate

Escalated.gifEscalated.gif

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

I blame <edited>.

I'll play the role of the contrarian and blame <edited>. The rapid rise in pinflation has happened on his watch after all.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : No politics please.

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

and blame Obama.

Cool...this thread needed to be closed anyway. And you're not the first...if you read my little Wheel of Fortune post you would notice that.

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Cool...this thread needed to be closed anyway. And you're not the first...if you read my little Wheel of Fortune post you would notice that.

Agreed, You are second. I think Congress should have Gary Stern take the stand. If they can do it with one American passtime, why not another truly American thing?

#72 10 years ago

Wow.....I will never get the time I spent reading his thread back......never.

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Wow.....I will never get he time I spent reading his thread back......never.

I'll never get back all of the money I could have made in a normal economic rebound if<edited> wasn't in office.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : No politics please.

#74 10 years ago

When I look at most LE versions I just see a bunch of things on the playfield that are prone to break. I think the only LE feature I've seen that was actually worth it was the lit ramps on Tron LE and the bell on AC/DC Premium. Most of the other LE upgrades are actually downgrades IMO.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Jesus Christ! Even a on the end of the post obviously wasn't enough to show I was joking. People's skin is about as thick as Kate Moss around here.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

But, I never even said anything like that on the original thought. I merely was ripping on my favorite friend Cobray.

Point taken, that wasn't clear, at all, from the post.... carry on!

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

I know a guy that smoked nearly every single day of his life and lived to be 90. And the conversation wasn't about "degrees." It was about a high school diploma. If you can't get a high school diploma in the U.S. your odds of being poor go up by 99.3%.

Wapner at 5! Wapner at 5!

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

I'll never get back all of the money I could have made in a normal economic rebound if <edited> wasn't in office.

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Simply put, cheese offers no nutritional value to mice and therefore just isn't appropriate or safe.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Simply put, cheese offers no nutritional value to mice and therefore just isn't appropriate or safe.

Huh ????

#81 10 years ago

250px-Judgewapner_01.jpg250px-Judgewapner_01.jpg images-1.jpgimages-1.jpg

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Jesus Christ! Even a on the end of the post obviously wasn't enough to show I was joking. People's skin is about as thick as Kate Moss around here.

Wow. Some of you guys just read others' responses then comment without reading the original post of who they attacked in the first place. I have fairly thick skin and I was AGREEING with you.

But, if you had taken just a little time out before reacting to read my comment you would have understood that.

Geeze people.

#83 10 years ago

This thread needs a box of tampons !

#84 10 years ago

Stern doesn't care about how they sell the LE's as long as they sell. though if they wanted fairness, they'd say one per person per address

#85 10 years ago

This thread needs a box of tampons !

meh.ro9899.jpgmeh.ro9899.jpg

#86 10 years ago

Perfect ! That is so gross !

#87 10 years ago

Insults, cats out of a bag, politics, and bloody tampons. Yet, we still can't get this thread closed! LOL

#88 10 years ago

after the Tampon....Im unplugging!

#89 10 years ago

literally !

#90 10 years ago

Yikes!!

#91 10 years ago

Yeah........ I'm gonna go head and close this puppy out.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-really-to-blame-for-the-high-le-market-values/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.