(Topic ID: 31647)

Who is ready to start buying replacement parts from Staples?

By Wolfmarsh

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Fatsquatch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Looks like Staples is going to roll out a 3D printing service at it's locations next year.

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/11/staples-goes-3-d/

I have no idea what the durability is, but it says it can be drilled and tapped. Would be interesting to see if you could make replacement playfield toys or other parts.

No idea on cost either.

I thought this was fantastic though.

#2 11 years ago

I saw this printer years ago. It's not plastic, it's actually laser cutting slices of paper one layer at a time. .002" is pretty good resolution, but... it's glued paper. So I guess you could call it, wood?

Makes sense why staples is on board, just going to sell more paper
    http://vimeo.com/44001453

#3 11 years ago

This is interesting, nonetheless.

Rather pay a modest price for 'fake wood' than a premium for NOS/factory repro. Besides, a big steel ball is going to be whacking it most of the time.

#4 11 years ago

This would be great for proto-typing.
    You could have one 3d printed and than make a silicone mold from it to make resin copies.

#5 11 years ago

That's a lot of friggin' paper just to "print" something. I thought half the appeal of 3d printing was that you weren't being wasteful with the media? Guess someone will always find a way to create more garbage. =\

Current polymer printers can create internal supports to strengthen printable models while allowing them to remain hollow, light, and strong. I guess this thing could be doing that as well, but did you see all the paper they're having to extricate to get the model out?

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

That's a lot of friggin' paper just to "print" something. I thought half the appeal of 3d printing was that you weren't being wasteful with the media? Guess someone will always find a way to create more garbage. =\

I would think that whatever was left over from a printing job would just go back into recycling.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-ready-to-start-buying-replacement-parts-from-staples and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.