60 days ago

Topic Stats

• 461 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Nilroc
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are you out and won't be buying a Tesla?”

• The company and CEO are a joke, and the car line is a bigger joke 8 votes
      16%
    • Don't want to be stereotyped with some of the owners of this thing 2 votes
      4%
    • Stocks are on their way out 1 vote
      2%
    • I don't want to have to defend my car purchase on the internet 0 votes
    • Won't be living in Oregon or Canada anytime soon 0 votes
    • Big batteries make a big mess when they explode 1 vote
      2%
    • My old shitbox runs great and don't need a $50,000 car with no engine 9 votes
      18%
    • All of the above 28 votes
      57%

(49 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 39 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

nah (resized).jpg
    trolls (resized).jpg
    83678173-025A-4A0F-95F5-18551B1CEBEE (resized).jpeg
    qe01lvn81vk11 (resized).jpg
    5b9235bb5c5e5254548b59f5-1136-852.jpg
    D0178DED-D289-4216-BCC9-D51C0213B19D (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ECC8E739-E574-4457-A008-63AB52899961 (resized).jpeg
    CEDAF770-5681-4BFA-976F-68103C8B1E3A (resized).jpeg
    image-1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180830-203853 (resized).png
    2gwuxp (resized).jpg
    2gwon6 (resized).jpg
    5a861ac9d0307255048b46d2-750-500 (resized).jpg
    tesla-towing-san-diego (resized).jpg
    bg_rubberroom2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 60 days ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

I sold my 2017 Audi A4 for a 2016 Model S. I was so excited. Got it, and thought it was so cool. In my mind, I had a charger at the garage where I park daily, I live near a supercharger, and my car had an estimated 250 mile range. So I figured I could charge weekly (30 mile round trip), and never have to pay a dime.

So what kind of range were you getting in the winter? Less than 100?

#26 59 days ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Out, we supply parts to them and its a clown show. Worst engineering change control I have ever seen. Good luck with recalls in the future because they won't even know what cars need repairs for certain engineering changes.

I don't think they have any intention of doing recalls unless they're absolutely forced to. They're relying on cult-like loyalty of customers to convince themselves that the defects are normal and the car is great even when it's falling apart.

There seem to be fewer illusions of those running them commercially however. In Amsterdam there are quite a lot of the Model S being used as taxis / airport transfer cars, since the tax regime and price of fuel vs electricity make electric cars a decent proposition economically, and demand initially exceeded supply for Teslas (so they could sell them after use for a good price).

I've ridden in 5 so far. 1 guy was lukewarm. 2 hated it and were spitting venom when asked; 1 particularly who'd had the heater fail twice in this year's cold snap. 2 thought it was ok to drive but too unreliable. All said they'd had constant niggles and reliability issues, including several full breakdowns. All said they wanted to change. 4 said they'd go to a more reliable, cheaper fully electric European or Japanese / Korean brand as soon as there were choices available. 1 said he'd go back to a Prius (what he had before).

All but one of them rattled badly, and had drafts from the windows even when closed. The upholstery and plastics looked worn even on the 2 that had done below 40,000KM.

I see quite a few private ones around, too, but don't know anyone with one. Do know a few people with Mitsubishi / Hyundai / BMW electric cars though.

#42 59 days ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Our government does not mess around when it comes to safety recalls, and those cost companies a shit ton of $. Good luck finding a dealership that will do the service.

Other brands routinely recall parts to have issues worked on that aren't major safety problems. Given all the stories about bodges with faulty or damaged parts going into cars, and the shonky build quality and QA, I don't think they'll do much unless forced by the regulator. Also, as I understand it the regulator has not stepped in over the issues with extreme braking distances, combined with Tesla admitting they were skipping industry standard brake tests at the factory ... so I'd question your assertion that they "don't mess around".

I think the whole business has become so politicised and is on such shaky ground that they're very reticent to intervene, as they don't want to be blamed for bringing it down. There's a lot of pressure not to. Like with the SEC .... I'm very dubious that Musk will be prosecuted to the extent that the law would normally dictate when there's a clear case of price manipulation and making intentionally materially false and misleading statements (a fictional largest private buyout in history no less). If they actually go through with it, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

#43 59 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Man, ambien is a career killer. It got Rosanne first.

Their PR handlers advised them to blame it on a prescription drug and try to ilicit sympathy. Hence Musk 'crying' in that interview.

"Oh, woe is me, all the mean people pointing out the similarities between Tesla in 2018 and the Titanic's maiden voyage. Can't sleep anymore. Forced to use drugs(I'm rumoured to be a heavy user of much worse than Ambien). All their fault. Diminished responsibility when I decided to manipulate, attempt to ruin shorts, evade a potentially deadly convertible bond, and boost the share price, pretending that one of my day dreams was a cast iron and largest private buyout ever. Sob. Sob. Sob."

= "Haters and bullies (critics) made me turn to drugs. Drugs made me commit pre-meditated fraud. I'm beyond criticism or censure."

= "Haters and bullies made me turn to drugs. Drugs made me racist. I'm beyond criticism."

#63 59 days ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Car sales were only 30% of new US passenger vehicle sales in 2017 and the percentage is shrinking each year from several years ago. SUVs and trucks are dominating the market. Tesla would be smart to make their next big release be a medium sized SUV.
    https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/light-trucks-are-killing-car-sales

By the time they get a model like that out, if they can even fund its development now (remember they have a new roadster and *supposedly* freight vehicles), others will already be established in that market and what would likely be their price range, whilst the X sales probably fall off a cliff. Jaguar, Porsche, Volvo etc. I doubt they would compare very well.

2 weeks later
    #380 40 days ago

It's not just that they placed last.

It's the difference between last and next to last. If that's not the largest discrepancy ever, it certainly is in the 2000s.

There's as big a difference between first and next to last as there is next to last and Tesla. Next to last is Land Rover, who themselves trail the pack (by less), and that's mainly because they're selling a few of the ancient Defenders still, which are due for imminent replacement after about 35 years.

But it's absolutely no surprise. Judging by what taxi drivers who operate them here have told me, reading reports, and just seeing the shocking build quality, it's expected.

Also, I see contractors' vans (who they sub the work out to) parked in this neighbourhood often, working on Teslas that have broken down. Only spoke to one of the engineers, but he said they often wake up dead or with major systems dead, rather than developing serious faults out on the road.

#383 40 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

It is heartening to see a legitimate Automobile Manufacturer like Mercedes produce an dependable electric vehicle. The Germans embraced and improved solar power as well as alternative fuel sources early on, I see no reason why they won't quickly take their rightful place in the World as "The" best electric vehicle Manufacturer.
    Tesla's shoddy construction, manic CEO and overpricing with late delivery all combine to an eventual tragic future, sooner rather than later. It's probably time for them to quit playing, sell out and let the real Auto Companies produce electric vehicles.

It's not just Mercedes. They're going to get eaten alive from all quarters in practically any objective measure.

Jaguar and Audi either have or are launching directly competitive vehicles this year; Porsche will be in the same segment in about 9 months. There'll be numerous BMWs and Volvos soon. Floodgates on Japanese EVs will open shortly.

Probably the most important EV of the year is barely being talked about in the West ... the Hyundai Kona Electric just launched in Europe and earlier in Asia. It's a small SUV with a 300+ mile range with the larger battery option. The smaller battery version (good for about 170 miles) will likely cost about $28k in the US. The bigger one $32-33k. Build quality's immensely better than any of the Teslas. Needless to say that reliability will be in a totally different class.

VW are funnelling $40Bn into EV development before 2022.

The other giants aren't going to take a back seat forever. Ford, Fiat, PSA, Renault / Nissan, GM will all be there. The Chinese are pushing hard, under pressure from their own government (under pressure from their own people over air quality), most notably in the West through thier investments in Volvo and LTI ... but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'll also be amazed if Samsung don't enter the market too, at least for small / city cars. They have huge investments in battery technology, AI, user interfaces, embedded processors, electric motors. They could make practically all of the technical or electrical stuff in house.

Then there are wild cards like Dyson, who already have hundreds of engineers working on future EVs, and have a record of disrupting established product categories. Particularly when it's heavily rumoured that a battery company they acquired a few years ago have recently made a major technological breakthrough, around which their whole EV business is intended to revolve.

The fanboys ask how the rest of the industry can compete with Tesla. The better question is how can Tesla possibly compete with the rest of the industry, especially given the massive wastage, dire looking books, and an increasingly unhinged CEO / President / Largest shareholder. The colossal subsidies they've benefited from for years are drying up and they now have to go 'legit'.

Give it 12 months, and anyone who's not a brand slave would have to be mad to buy a Tesla in ANY segment of the EV market, over the competition. Going forward, all I see them being able to count on is built-in-'Murica status. So maybe they can take over the segment that Rams and F150s currently occupy in the US. Might be a bit difficult to roll coal with them though, and I'm pretty sure Ford, GM and FC will have those bases covered anyway.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside