Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 518 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tacshose
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are you out and won't be buying a Tesla?”

• The company and CEO are a joke, and the car line is a bigger joke 8 votes
      12%
    • Don't want to be stereotyped with some of the owners of this thing 2 votes
      3%
    • Stocks are on their way out 1 vote
      2%
    • I don't want to have to defend my car purchase on the internet 2 votes
      3%
    • Won't be living in Oregon or Canada anytime soon 1 vote
      2%
    • Big batteries make a big mess when they explode 2 votes
      3%
    • My old shitbox runs great and don't need a $50,000 car with no engine 12 votes
      18%
    • All of the above 37 votes
      57%

(65 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nah (resized).jpg
    trolls (resized).jpg
    83678173-025A-4A0F-95F5-18551B1CEBEE (resized).jpeg
    qe01lvn81vk11 (resized).jpg
    5b9235bb5c5e5254548b59f5-1136-852.jpg
    D0178DED-D289-4216-BCC9-D51C0213B19D (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ECC8E739-E574-4457-A008-63AB52899961 (resized).jpeg
    CEDAF770-5681-4BFA-976F-68103C8B1E3A (resized).jpeg
    image-1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180830-203853 (resized).png
    2gwuxp (resized).jpg
    2gwon6 (resized).jpg
    5a861ac9d0307255048b46d2-750-500 (resized).jpg
    tesla-towing-san-diego (resized).jpg
    bg_rubberroom2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

Sorry guys and Gals your the Minority! Model 3 will be the NUMBER 5 top selling vehicle in the US. Majority of people love the car! Don't take my word for it read the FACTS!
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/17/tesla-model-3-might-5th-best-selling-car-in-usa-in-august/

Just to be sure it is clear, that list is only cars and does not include trucks and SUVs which presently dominate US vehicle sales:

https://focus2move.com/usa-best-selling-cars/

#61 5 years ago

Car sales were only 30% of new US passenger vehicle sales in 2017 and the percentage is shrinking each year from several years ago. SUVs and trucks are dominating the market. Tesla would be smart to make their next big release be a medium sized SUV.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/light-trucks-are-killing-car-sales

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I wouldn’t really consider the X a large SUV. Sure it can fit 7 but that’s more to do with not having a transmission etc. My LX is quite a bit larger than the X.

From the pictures I have seen, the X does not really look like an SUV and appears smaller in cargo room. The price is the real problem. Tesla needs a midsize SUV for less than $60k to take sales away from that booming market.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

C'mon Ford, buy out Tesla.
    It'll be interesting in next 10 years as Volkswagen really expands their electric lineup. Their shift is due to not being able to sell a diesel engine any more. The electric car space will really get crowded over the next decade and take a sizeable chunk of the market. Battery capacity is the only limiter currently, particularly if you live in an environment that is cold in the winter.

Solid state battery technology is probably about 10 to 15 years away from being implemented in the scale of a car battery. That could be the tech that makes range and charge time almost not a factor anymore and would also likely bring prices down significantly once mastered.
    I think we will see solid state batteries in cell phones and laptops in the next 5 years or so and then it is just a matter of time for cars.
    I do believe when the battery technology is improved the other major car manufacturers will jump in more aggressively to compete.

#67 5 years ago

I should clarify, the cargo space for an SUV needs one large unitary area to haul something like a piece of furniture as is the special utility of such vehicles. The X probably has a frunk but that does not suffice for most that want to haul a large dog in a cage, a loveseat, a pinball machine , etc.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

"frunk"? It's the word of the day!

yeah. Porsche had been doing frunks since at least the 60's. They had the mid engine. You could put the removable Targa top in the frunk.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I just don't see the future for electric cars or Tesla for that matter. It's tough for any auto manufacturer to compete especially niche ones. I like the high tech stuff but a car needs to be practical and multi purpose. I just don't ever see the average busy family buying eletric. Not only are they expensive but they have limitations. It would be a nightmare to run out of charge in middle of a hot day with a car full of little kids. Gas cars now days simply work, take few minutes to fill tank, and are reliable for 200,000 miles. I see a lot of Tesla cars on the road so they must work for some but nobody I know.

You don't think the prices will go down as the tech improves and becomes more mainstream, the battery technology will ever improve to have long range (perhaps 600 miles) and fast charging, and the reliability could become as good if not better than gas vehicles because electric have less critical components?
    The future is a long time and science will make change for the better because that is what humans strive to do.

We are in the beginning stages and the early adopters always pay a premium and also suffer through the trials and tribulations of being the ones that elected to be first. Same thing happened in the TV market. Picture tube TVs were super reliable and had good pictures but the technology gave us larger screens that were overpriced for the early adopters and the units were ridiculously large and impractical. Finally the slimmed down large screen plasma and LCD technology was improved and the prices dropped and the TVs became the norm.

#118 5 years ago

One thing for sure, driving a well-maintained older car is a win for the environment over junking that car that still has good life in it and buying another new car made from tons of new raw materials. The gas mileage should not decrease much if a car is maintained and emissions tested.

I take some pride in keeping my cars longer than most people and actually fixing them myself when I can. I also try to be sensible about what is worth fixing financially as well as what is worth paying someone to fix when it is burdensome or physically taxing to my bad back.
    I presently could sell both my and my wife's vehicles and still probably would not get enough cash from them to buy a Stern LE. It is a choice to stick with them that is just about being frugal and content.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Can you define an old car? Meaning, at what point are people junking cars? Because there is a used car market. A big one.
    IMO nobody “junks” cars with good life left in them. They trade them in or sell them. So not sure how that has any impact on the environment.

Around 13 years and older and hardly anybody wants them anymore. The dealers say they want them but what they really want is for you to trade in for a new car so they can give you the lowest trade-in value for your perfectly good old car. The dealer then sells the car to an auction company. I will probably keep my wife's 2005 Rav4 until it is about 20 years old as an extra vehicle. Parents don't even seem to want older cars for their kids anymore which is totally different from the way it was when I grew up. People in the suburbs coddle their kids so much they get them a car that is practically new these days.

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

No, after around 70,000 miles it's better to have a new EV than to keep an old gas burner:
    https://cdn.blog.ucsusa.org/wp-content/uploads/life-cycle-ev-emissions.jpg[quoted image]

Sure an ev is better for the environment than any gas vehicle, but they are still not readily available and the prices are too high and the selection of models is limited for now. My next vehicle will most likely be a luxury SUV in a few years. My wife will likely get another Rav4 in a year or two but this time with all the upgrades. I am not really sold on hybrids but will think on that and do more research before buying. In another 15 to 20 years I can see myself getting an ev with a range of 500+ miles if I live that long. Time will tell which company from which that ev comes. I want and hope Tesla is one of the choices to pick from when that time comes.

Another reason an ev does not work for me presently is the lack of charging access at multi-family locations which affects my possible future full time or snowbird retirement housing possibilities.

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

For a minute I actually thought this was a real thread. Instead it's yet another fud filled thread for haters to rag on the company with whatever fictional garbage they can come up with to protect their shorts, to do their best to kill an American company, or to passively attack liberals. Yet another waste of time nonsense political thread on Pinside to add to the ever growing pile. I wish the mods would clean this garbage up, or at least move it all into a "Nonsense political and/or other agenda" section that I could permanently block and let people stuck in the past ramble on to themselves in.

There is a drain button if you don’t want to see a thread anymore.

1 week later
    #395 5 years ago

People are making way too much about that. I believe he took one puff and went on to say that he does not care for it because he feels it decreases productivity and instead likes his caffeinated drinks which give the opposite effects. He has been known to work long hours.

A nervous breakdown would be much more likely from the stress of his goals than overusing marijuana which he does not appear to enjoy.

#402 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

He did a legal drug. I know that Marijuana scares some people for whatever reason, but really, he did nothing different than having a beer where he was.

I agree with this. He is living in a liberal environment and did a legal thing. It still seems shocking to some people outside of the pot states, but I bet it will eventually be legal in most states. Also, I noticed he did not even inhale when he reluctantly took the single puff. Rogan on the otherhand, he inhaled and held it in. I am no advocate for pot and have never been into it, but I try not to be too much of a prude about it.

#404 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

It was the decision. How many other bad decisions is Musk going to make? It only brought tesla stock down about 6.5%. One puff.

I believe the stock went down because of the accountant quitting more than anything. Stock investors likely are afraid something may be up with the financials that caused the person to run away.

The more I think about it the more I hope Apple ends up taking over.

#408 5 years ago

What percentage of companies test white collar employees for drugs?
    I have never been tested in private or government jobs.

I can understand testing factory workers or labor because they could put themselves or others in harms way.
    If a white collar worker is having problems you can just fire them when they don't produce.

#409 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Don't know why the debate has steered toward legality. That's a non starter and has nothing to do with this situation. Like it or not as CEO he's at work 24/7. Doing an interview and talking about Tesla is doing company business as a company employee. It's PR. Therefore you can bet your bottom dollar that any other company employee that was at a meeting doing company business and smoked a blunt, drank a beer, gave the finger, or any other act not appreciated by their management there would be repercussions...in Musk's case, the stock holders are his boss and I can bet that the majority don't appreciate his behavior.

It seems the corporate culture of Tesla is different than typical publicly traded companies. We shall see next week how the board handles this situation. Leaders such as Gates, Zuckerberg, and Musk that have founded something in a visionary way have been able to do sketchy things in the past that most CEOs can't get away with.

#412 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

In the USA for publicly traded companies, I'd say over 99%.
    I had to take a drug test when I started at Rockwell International in 1985. Had to take one in 1999 when I applied, before an offer was made at another place.

I can understand testing when hired along with a physical, but how many do ongoing testing throughout employment?

#434 5 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

Looks like Tesla is going down soon. Maybe another year. Unfortunate for sure.

I would guess the worst case is they survive by either a buyout, merger, or liquidation. The name could change to something like Apple Car but would still likely have the foundational aspects of Tesla. There is too much infrastructure and tech already in place for it to not be valuable to other companies that want to be in the electric vehicle space.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-out-on-tesla-model-3-?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.