Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 518 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tacshose
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are you out and won't be buying a Tesla?”

• The company and CEO are a joke, and the car line is a bigger joke 8 votes
      12%
    • Don't want to be stereotyped with some of the owners of this thing 2 votes
      3%
    • Stocks are on their way out 1 vote
      2%
    • I don't want to have to defend my car purchase on the internet 2 votes
      3%
    • Won't be living in Oregon or Canada anytime soon 1 vote
      2%
    • Big batteries make a big mess when they explode 2 votes
      3%
    • My old shitbox runs great and don't need a $50,000 car with no engine 12 votes
      18%
    • All of the above 37 votes
      57%

(65 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nah (resized).jpg
    trolls (resized).jpg
    83678173-025A-4A0F-95F5-18551B1CEBEE (resized).jpeg
    qe01lvn81vk11 (resized).jpg
    5b9235bb5c5e5254548b59f5-1136-852.jpg
    D0178DED-D289-4216-BCC9-D51C0213B19D (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ECC8E739-E574-4457-A008-63AB52899961 (resized).jpeg
    CEDAF770-5681-4BFA-976F-68103C8B1E3A (resized).jpeg
    image-1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180830-203853 (resized).png
    2gwuxp (resized).jpg
    2gwon6 (resized).jpg
    5a861ac9d0307255048b46d2-750-500 (resized).jpg
    tesla-towing-san-diego (resized).jpg
    bg_rubberroom2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Our government does not mess around when it comes to safety recalls, and those cost companies a shit ton of $. Good luck finding a dealership that will do the service.

In Michigan. Currently how many service centers are there? Can you say flatbed to Cleveland? Or, maybe this guy has a couple of floor jacks and can perform recalls in a customer's driveway/garage/local vacant Saturn dealer parking lot? This pic was taken aboot a mile away from your home.

TSV20176725_6848965 (resized).jpgTSV20176725_6848965 (resized).jpg
    #54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

https://bgr.com/2018/03/14/model-3-problems-tesla-parts-rework-tesla-denies/

This was fixed with a software update in one week. One week! Anyway, it was an extreme edge case where if you made multiple repeated panic stops your braking distance would be reduced. It was fixed by a software update within days and is no longer an issue.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/tesla-model-3-gets-cr-recommendation-after-braking-update/

You want your stopping distance as short as possible.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Like when BofA bought Countrywide? Bad idea.

Besides, Ford is paring down on building passenger cars anyway.

#69 5 years ago

Will a Stern pinball machine fit in a Model X?

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

If you think everybody will be rolling around in massive gas guzzlers in 2040, you would be as correct as the people in 1978 thinking digital pinball games would never supplant EM`s.
    There, finally a pinball comparison in a cargument

Bally stopped EM pin production in 1977.

20180818_161327 (resized).jpg20180818_161327 (resized).jpg
    #84 5 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

Someone at Gottlieb didn't want to move forward. 17 EM models from 1978-On
    https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&mfgid=94&yr=1978-1980&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced
    1978-02 Pyramid
    1978-02 Strange World
    1978-03 Sinbad
    1978-04 Neptune
    1978-05 Eye Of The Tiger
    1978-06 Joker Poker
    1978-07 Poseidon
    1978-08 Hit the Deck
    1978-09 Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    1978-10 Gemini
    1978-11 Dragon
    1978-12 Blue Note
    1978-12 Rock Star
    1979-02 Charlie's Angels
    1979-03 Solar Ride
    1979-03 Space Walk
    1979-03 T.K.O.

Correct on Gottlieb with their "What's new is Blue" advertising campaign in '79 but they made many machines with both technologies just before....

#97 5 years ago

Tesla will probably announce the fastest, highest capacity, longest-range work vehicle with the best technology for drivers and free super charging rights* soon. It will promise to make similar diesel vehicles go the way of the Dodo Bird.

* Must transport vehicle 40 Km to the nearest super charger. Then wait, and wait and wait. Kind of like everyone had to for gasoline in 1973 & 74.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

One thing for sure, driving a well-maintained older car is a win for the environment over junking that car that still has good life in it and buying another new car made from tons of new raw materials. The gas mileage should not decrease much if a car is maintained and emissions tested.
    I take some pride in keeping my cars longer than most people and actually fixing them myself when I can. I also try to be sensible about what is worth fixing financially as well as what is worth paying someone to fix when it is burdensome or physically taxing to my bad back.
    I presently could sell both my and my wife's vehicles and still probably would not get enough cash from them to buy a Stern LE. It is a choice to stick with them that is just about being frugal and content.

My '04 A8L with 290,000 miles is still a nice car. Took it to Chicago a few weeks ago. Stopped by the old Williams building that is up for sale.
    For me, it's a great value.

My son & I do all the repairs & maintenance on our cars.

Just replaced an air strut on it $1900.00 list for the part. I did get a nice discount on the part, OEM too as I avoid aftermarket crap. Yes, we replaced it ourselves.

No one thinks suspension components, HVAC, window regulators, door, hood and hatch latches, the computer hardware, wheel bearings, individual wheel motors, power regulating system, throttle, brake hydraulic components will require repairs on a Tesla, eh?

Let me know in 10 years.

20180728_164022 (resized).jpg20180728_164022 (resized).jpg20180728_164409 (resized).jpg20180728_164409 (resized).jpg

#127 5 years ago

My '01 Beetle (left) by a WMS employee's 2016 Beetle (right) aboot two years ago. This is a few hundred feet South of the main WMS building.
    You can see the former Hot Doug's, now Cafe Tola, on the left.

20161013_140720 (resized).jpg20161013_140720 (resized).jpg

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

I've never seen anyone make that claim. But the truth is that EVs have vastly fewer moving parts.
    Are you trying to say that maintenance costs will be the same on an EV over it's lifecycle than an ICE car?

In a harsh environment such as Michigan or Pennsylvania, yes, over fifteen years or 300,000 miles they will be close. Then the disadvantage of lower range in extreme weather will become a factor for some motorists.

#148 5 years ago

I see oil changes are free though.....

20114960_0_600_450 (resized).jpg20114960_0_600_450 (resized).jpg
    #153 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

No, as I posted according to the data it’s way under 100,000 miles. Either post your calculations, or I’m calling bullshit on that 300,000 mile figure that you seem to have pulled out of your ass.
    We weren’t talking about range. We were talking about whether or not it is more energy efficient to keep an old car or buy a new EV. Range has F all to do with that.

I'm not talking aboot energy efficiency, I'm talking aboot repair & maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle. I keep my cars for 200,000-300,000 miles minimum. I look at the repair & maintenance costs. Then the overall cost/mile.

The range was mentioned as it will matter to some if the vehicle is viable for their transportation needs.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

Except they have no dealers.

But they do have service centers where it appears one must go for repairs if you can't buy parts for the vehicle.

Except in Michigan, Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, Alaska, Kentucky, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana , South Carolina, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and maybe a few more states.

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I’m out on the Tesla 3, my 2002 Honda Civic has some life left in her still and there are plenty of other things to waste money on.
    That said, I do love my electric lawn mower. Weighs less than a gas job, and it never stalls, floods, or runs out of gas.

How often have you replaced or had the battery pack(s) rebuilt? My son works at a Batteries Plus. A neighbor has a nice battery powered lawn mower. She has him rebuild the packs. He's rebuilt the set a 2nd time in four years.

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When in the 90s that siren went off for San Onofre at 4:00 AM during a huge downpour, I thought we were already done. It went on for quite a while. One good size earthquake and we can watch both those concrete domes roll into the sea.

At least that one is cool to look at when in line to "STOP" for "US Officers". Now shut down waiting for Bechtel or Westinghouse to take it apart. But Robert Blake's Diablo Canyon plant is humming along...

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

True. In those states they send a tech to you. 80% of repairs can be handled at your home, which is pretty sweet.

When the vehicle is out of warranty, say I hit a nice Michigan pothole (so, even if under warranty, not a warrantable repair) taking out a Trailer arm or Trapezoid arm and a rim. Does the mobile service department come and do the repair in my driveway? Do they then take it to real service shop with an alignment rack? Lets say one of the wheel end motors also gets damaged too ($$$), Do I have to pay to transport it to Cleveland or Chicago?

Keep in mind that I don't believe in anything beyond legally required insurance so I won't be filing a claim, which, in Michigan damage by a pothole is considered an At-fault Accident so a Deductible applies.

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

Give it time, it hasn’t even been out two years.
    I just got back from a 400+ mile round trip in my Model S. Total fuel cost $0.

I also just got back from a 24 hour 400+ mile road trip myself. Total fuel cost was also $0 for me as well.
    Glad we both made it back safely.

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

I too am glad you're home safe and sound. The place wouldn't be the same without you.
    I'm intrigued. I know how I achieved $0 cost for my trip (free charging), how did yours work out to be $0?

My employment agreement includes a car (not a Tesla, a boring Fusion). The car was delivered to my driveway a week after I started there. I have an Element card that I use for gas and minor stuff like washer fluid. I never see a bill nor expense anything. Only thing I do is make a monthly entry with business vs. personal miles on an app. Then the company grosses up my salary to cover the taxes on the personal usage. No insurance or plate fees, all handled. I have a separate car wash card which I also never see a bill for.

For the record, I would much rather have taken my A8 on this trip, but I have a part on order that prevented me from using it this weekend.

There are a total of five vehicles that are personally owned in my household.

#272 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

Fact: The Tesla Model S is the best selling luxury car in the USA

I don't think what you said above is a true fact.

ACT, PSR, Ward's and even the free site Statista show the BMW 5, 4 and 3 series, Lexus ES and IS, Mercedes C as well as Infiniti Q50 all outselling the Tesla Model S in the United States this year. Some by a factor of 2 to 1.

All are classified as "luxury cars".

#331 5 years ago

Tesla "free" or would that be "included" supercharging would not work if I bought a 3 for around town stuff. Closest supercharger is 13 miles away in a place I may, and I say may go near once per month.
    My energy bill is $217/month and I just got a love letter from DTE(Detroit Edison) that it's going up to $283.00 . That's with no EV's. No thanks.

Screenshot_20180830-203853 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180830-203853 (resized).png
    #339 5 years ago

www.buyfordnow.com

#372 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

Odin your older brother is right. It is a different way of thinking. With a gas car you leave in the morning from home and you may or may not have to gas up on the way. Because we all know a majority of us do not gas up on the way home. We always wait until the next day to gas up. We put it off (Human Nature)
    With an electric car you always leave the house with a full charge. If you calculate just this part into daily driving it's a lot more pleasing . You never spend anytime during the day gasing up. Average mileage driven in a day is 50 miles. When it comes to a long road trip you have to charge up along the way. There is always pee breaks,lunch breaks etc. It's those times when there is opportunities to charge. You get about 170 miles in 30 minutes with the Model 3. It does take a bit longer to get to your destination on long trips but it is a more enjoyable trip overall and you meet some new friends along the way.

I disagree, I get gas on my way home from work once every week or so.
    On long trips on the Toll Roads such as the James W. Shocknessy Ohio Turnpike, America's First Superhighway, The Pennsylvania Turnpike, IFM Investors' Indiana Toll Road etc. I get gas, grab some food and maybe use the facilities. I can't recharge a Tesla though. I would have to exit to charge the vehicle. There is fee to use an interchange by the way. Not viable for me.

#397 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I disagree....What you do on your own time and in your own privacy, I couldn't care less, as long as it doesn't hurt the public at large. You want to toke a blunt behind closed doors, that's fine, as long as you stay there and don't jump behind a wheel of a car, airplane, bus, etc. Then it becomes my problem. As a CEO in charge of billions of $, the face of a company that employs thousands, and the reason that investors gain or lose money, you are affecting the public at large when you take a toke in public. Simple as that. You won't see any other major CEO pull such a ridiculous stunt, or call a rescue worker a pedophile without evidence, or any other such erratic behavior. Sure, google the internet, and you can find isolated incidents, but almost all have dire consequences.
    Lastly, Elon is already tagged with eccentric behavior and already rumored to do heavy drugs. We at least know he abuses ambien. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. He has to realize this and tone it down.

A real Corporation has -Zero- tolerance for drug use. The Board of Directors should fire him immediately, with cause. He deserves no parting gifts. None.

#401 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

He did a legal drug. I know that Marijuana scares some people for whatever reason, but really, he did nothing different than having a beer where he was.

Corporate policies regarding recreational drug use by employees are well defined. Zero tolerance. I can travel to a state with legally available pot. I smoke it and they find out, I'm shitcanned immediately.

I inquired aboot it as I wondered. Especially as I hear Michigan may soon allow it.

#405 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I agree with this. He is living in a liberal environment and did a legal thing. It still seems shocking to some people outside of the pot states, but I bet it will eventually be legal in most states. Also, I noticed he did not even inhale when he reluctantly took the single puff. Rogan on the otherhand, he inhaled and held it in. I am no advocate for pot and have never been into it, but I try not to be too much of a prude about it.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Tesla is a Drug-Free Employer and requires a drug screening as a condition of employment and continued employment.

Of course, the rules are different for some. The BoD has a Fiduciary Duty to the stakeholders. They will need to take action next week.

#410 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

What percentage of companies test white collar employees for drugs?
    I have never been tested in private or government jobs.
    I can understand testing factory workers or labor because they could put themselves or others in harms way.
    If a white collar worker is having problems you can just fire them when they don't produce.

In the USA for publicly traded companies, I'd say over 99%.

I had to take a drug test when I started at Rockwell International in 1985. Had to take one in 1999 when I applied, before an offer was made at another place.

#413 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I can understand testing when hired along with a physical, but how many do ongoing testing throughout employment?

I retired from Rockwell and a successor company a year ago. I had to sign an acknowledgement form aboot seven years prior that stated I agreed to be randomly tested at any time. I never was. Co-workers were.
    At my new employer, I was tested after my offer was made and employment was contingent on passing the drug test as well as a background check. My employment agreement also states I can be tested at any time to continue employment. Plus, I have to be nicotine free otherwise my medical insurance is subject to a $100.00/month surcharge.

#422 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Maybe 30 years ago, but I really doubt it now. Many states are legalizing, and there are interesting legal issues that haven't yet been crossed in states where it is legal but doesn't impair your work. How you can dictate what someone does off work hours is difficult, and marijuana, due to it's nature, is tougher to figure out.
    You don't want someone who is high on pot doing something dangerous with a bunch of people around. But, you also don't want that person drunk. If they are legally doing it on their own time safely, and are being safe at work, how can you really say the person who was blacked out drunk is far better than the person who was stoned?
    I worked for a publicly traded company in HR at the time California made it legal, one with a drug policy in place. There was a ton of talk back and forth about how to handle it, and it basically came down to we wouldn't terminate anyone (in California) for showing marijuana on their drug test unless they exhibited signs of also being impaired while on duty. It came down to we didn't want to be the ones going to court to explain why we should be able to dictate what someone can legally do in their spare time. It remained a fireable offense in other markets because it was illegal.
    Long story short, it's in a legally weird spot in so many ways right now (including that it's illegal federally and they want to enforce that while states are legalizing it...), but don't think that publicly traded companies are going to be fighting to terminate employees for what they legally do on their own time.
    As for Tesla, they just announced a bunch of new executive promotions tonight. I said before Musk needs a strong second, and they seem to have just put Jerome Guillen into what appears to be that spot, which I think could be a genius move. Jerome came to Tesla 8 years ago from Daimler where he both led the Cascadia program and then created a car sharing program in Europe. At Tesla, he kind of has done it all - leading the Model S team from prototype to production and ramp, the Tesla Semi team, making an assembly line, running sales and service, and dealing with Musk for 8 years.
    In many ways, he is quite similar to Shotwell at SpaceX, and I think could have the power and autonomy to do his own thing.

We can agree to disagree. Id say now, more than ever employees are screened. Look at Promedica, the healthcare company. All employees sign that they are nicotine-Free. Random testing is performed. A positive and you're dismissed. Across the board.

I wouldn't want the janitor or a sales rep or the customer service reps smoking dope on their own time and then coming to work a few hours later. No thankyou.....

#423 5 years ago

I want to see it on the Tesla website, not a blog. I only get the light version on my phone and I'm do not have a pc with me now.

#428 5 years ago
    Quoted from JosiahCox:

Unless you feel the same way about alcohol you are a hypocrite.
    Employees are screened so much because insurance companies have everyone by the balls. Logic says you show up at work high or drunk, you get fired. What we all do in our free time should be non of our employers business unless it negatively affects them.
    For fuck sakes, let your janitor smoke some weed. Chill out. He isn’t hurting anybody.

FFS, these are not my rules. This is how large corporations operate. Especially publicly traded ones.
    If I have to live by these rules, others working in the same environment need to. From the loveliest technician to the Chairman of the Board.

Added over 6 years ago:

Lowliest Technician......

#431 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

You said you wouldn't want the janitor smoking. That would be your rule. The actual rules, as I mentioned from being on the HR side, are much muddier with something that is now legal.

Yep, my want. If I can't do it without getting canned, neither should the janitor nor the Chairman, President nor CEO.

#432 5 years ago

Drug testing is for all at large public companies. Would you want a financial officer making a innocent error with a decimal point because they smoked a dime bag the night before? Especially if you have a couple thousand shares of the company stock you bought with your money in the -401-k plan over your career?

#440 5 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Show me a scientific study that shows marijuana is more harmful than alcohol, tobacco or for that matter prescription drugs.
    [quoted image]

I know nothing about any scientific studies. I know I can't legally drive a car after smoking a couple of joints though. I also know I'd get fired from my job if any evidence existed that I smoked weed.
    You should ask the HR or Legal department of any major corporation why they drug test and exclude users from employment.

Heck, keep it pinball-related; Ask Stern why they are a drug-free workplace which includes marijuana. Or, Scientific Games, Inc. The current owner of Bally and WMS.

#441 5 years ago

On alcohol, which to me is ok as long as one does not abuse or drive under the influence, here's a good example. Best Universal Lock Co., which operates as the Best Access Systems brand of Stanley Security Systems these days had a great interview process for all white-collar candidates.

Upon making it through the interview process, candidates were invited to dinner at a nice restaurant near the Fishers, Indiana headquarters and plant. Best Lock employees ordered first, all would not order alcohol. If the candidate ordered booze, they would no longer be considered for the job.

Reasoning was if you got drunk, you might give away secrets or security information of their clients. All of their customers are commercial. This was under Walter Best's family regime. Not sure how it is today.

2 weeks later
    #457 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I can understand testing when hired along with a physical, but how many do ongoing testing throughout employment?

Quoted from goatdan:

Maybe 30 years ago, but I really doubt it now. Many states are legalizing, and there are interesting legal issues that haven't yet been crossed in states where it is legal but doesn't impair your work. How you can dictate what someone does off work hours is difficult, and marijuana, due to it's nature, is tougher to figure out.
    You don't want someone who is high on pot doing something dangerous with a bunch of people around. But, you also don't want that person drunk. If they are legally doing it on their own time safely, and are being safe at work, how can you really say the person who was blacked out drunk is far better than the person who was stoned?
    I worked for a publicly traded company in HR at the time California made it legal, one with a drug policy in place. There was a ton of talk back and forth about how to handle it, and it basically came down to we wouldn't terminate anyone (in California) for showing marijuana on their drug test unless they exhibited signs of also being impaired while on duty. It came down to we didn't want to be the ones going to court to explain why we should be able to dictate what someone can legally do in their spare time. It remained a fireable offense in other markets because it was illegal.
    Long story short, it's in a legally weird spot in so many ways right now (including that it's illegal federally and they want to enforce that while states are legalizing it...), but don't think that publicly traded companies are going to be fighting to terminate employees for what they legally do on their own time.
    As for Tesla, they just announced a bunch of new executive promotions tonight. I said before Musk needs a strong second, and they seem to have just put Jerome Guillen into what appears to be that spot, which I think could be a genius move. Jerome came to Tesla 8 years ago from Daimler where he both led the Cascadia program and then created a car sharing program in Europe. At Tesla, he kind of has done it all - leading the Model S team from prototype to production and ramp, the Tesla Semi team, making an assembly line, running sales and service, and dealing with Musk for 8 years.
    In many ways, he is quite similar to Shotwell at SpaceX, and I think could have the power and autonomy to do his own thing.

Here is a recent news story regarding the situation in Michigan.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/marijuana/2018/09/20/marijuana-legalization-michigan-employers/1361074002/

1 month later
    #463 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

You said you wouldn't want the janitor smoking. That would be your rule. The actual rules, as I mentioned from being on the HR side, are much muddier with something that is now legal.

Now that Michigan passed the marijuana proposal, it won't protect you from getting fired or not hired for a job.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/marijuana/2018/11/07/michigan-marijuana-results-election-legalization/1835297002/

6 months later
    #496 4 years ago

Back up the truck for this buying opportunity.

1 year later
    #517 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

I could care less if Tesla is in the S&P or not. The only reason I mentioned it was because Tesla qualified to be accepted that's all.
    Tesla does not need the S&P acceptance they do just fine without it. 2021 and beyond is looking fantastic for Tesla.

Looking pretty good right now. I'm in on it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-out-on-tesla-model-3-?tu=MrBally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.