Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 518 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tacshose
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are you out and won't be buying a Tesla?”

• The company and CEO are a joke, and the car line is a bigger joke 8 votes
      12%
    • Don't want to be stereotyped with some of the owners of this thing 2 votes
      3%
    • Stocks are on their way out 1 vote
      2%
    • I don't want to have to defend my car purchase on the internet 2 votes
      3%
    • Won't be living in Oregon or Canada anytime soon 1 vote
      2%
    • Big batteries make a big mess when they explode 2 votes
      3%
    • My old shitbox runs great and don't need a $50,000 car with no engine 12 votes
      18%
    • All of the above 37 votes
      57%

(65 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nah (resized).jpg
    trolls (resized).jpg
    83678173-025A-4A0F-95F5-18551B1CEBEE (resized).jpeg
    qe01lvn81vk11 (resized).jpg
    5b9235bb5c5e5254548b59f5-1136-852.jpg
    D0178DED-D289-4216-BCC9-D51C0213B19D (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ECC8E739-E574-4457-A008-63AB52899961 (resized).jpeg
    CEDAF770-5681-4BFA-976F-68103C8B1E3A (resized).jpeg
    image-1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180830-203853 (resized).png
    2gwuxp (resized).jpg
    2gwon6 (resized).jpg
    5a861ac9d0307255048b46d2-750-500 (resized).jpg
    tesla-towing-san-diego (resized).jpg
    bg_rubberroom2 (resized).jpg

There are 518 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

Sorry guys and Gals your the Minority! Model 3 will be the NUMBER 5 top selling vehicle in the US. Majority of people love the car! Don't take my word for it read the FACTS!
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/17/tesla-model-3-might-5th-best-selling-car-in-usa-in-august/

LOL. What do you have to say about these facts?

Quoted from rubberducks:

There seem to be fewer illusions of those running them commercially however. In Amsterdam there are quite a lot of the Model S being used as taxis / airport transfer cars, since the tax regime and price of fuel vs electricity make electric cars a decent proposition economically, and demand initially exceeded supply for Teslas (so they could sell them after use for a good price).
    I've ridden in 5 so far. 1 guy was lukewarm. 2 hated it and were spitting venom when asked; 1 particularly who'd had the heater fail twice in this year's cold snap. 2 thought it was ok to drive but too unreliable. All said they'd had constant niggles and reliability issues, including several full breakdowns. All said they wanted to change. 4 said they'd go to a more reliable, cheaper fully electric European or Japanese / Korean brand as soon as there were choices available. 1 said he'd go back to a Prius (what he had before).
    All but one of them rattled badly, and had drafts from the windows even when closed. The upholstery and plastics looked worn even on the 2 that had done below 40,000KM.
    I see quite a few private ones around, too, but don't know anyone with one. Do know a few people with Mitsubishi / Hyundai / BMW electric cars though.

#52 5 years ago

C'mon Ford, buy out Tesla.

It'll be interesting in next 10 years as Volkswagen really expands their electric lineup. Their shift is due to not being able to sell a diesel engine any more. The electric car space will really get crowded over the next decade and take a sizeable chunk of the market. Battery capacity is the only limiter currently, particularly if you live in an environment that is cold in the winter.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Like when BofA bought Countrywide? Bad idea.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

https://bgr.com/2018/03/14/model-3-problems-tesla-parts-rework-tesla-denies/

This was fixed with a software update in one week. One week! Anyway, it was an extreme edge case where if you made multiple repeated panic stops your braking distance would be reduced. It was fixed by a software update within days and is no longer an issue.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/tesla-model-3-gets-cr-recommendation-after-braking-update/

You want your stopping distance as short as possible.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

You want your stopping distance as short as possible.

watch what that particular test entails. It requires locking up your brakes while going 45 or 60 mph, then immediately doing that again 2 more times. Anybody who actually drives like that should have their license revoked. The cars were fine on the first and second try and had 15 extra feet on the third attempt and this was fixed with software

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Like when BofA bought Countrywide? Bad idea.

Besides, Ford is paring down on building passenger cars anyway.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

Not if you are going to call someone a “liar” for voicing an opinion.

I think you’re deeply confused about the difference between an opinion and a statement.

Shit on Tesla all you want. Say you hate the car, you hate the company, you hate Musk, whatever. That’s your right, and I support it.

But if someone makes a statement here that isn’t factually correct, I’m going to call it out with facts.

If someone has a history of repeatedly misrepresenting the truth, as rubberducks has repeatedly done, I’m calling it out for what it is: serial lying.

We should all of us insist on this in civil, public discourse.

#58 5 years ago

Not sure who is worse. Tesla fanboys or Apple fanboys. Maybe I'll start a poll.

#59 5 years ago

I’m out... I put down my deposit hoping to get a base 35000 model with a 7500 rebate, but that’s not going to happen, so I’ll wait till gen 2 or 3.

I did get to keep a model x 100d for the weekend on an extended test drive. By far the best vehicle i’ve Ever driven in. Haters are going to hate, but give this company 5-10 more years and you’ll be seeing these cars as often as a ford.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

Not sure who is worse. Tesla fanboys or Apple fanboys. Maybe I'll start a poll.

Why not both?

#61 5 years ago

Car sales were only 30% of new US passenger vehicle sales in 2017 and the percentage is shrinking each year from several years ago. SUVs and trucks are dominating the market. Tesla would be smart to make their next big release be a medium sized SUV.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/light-trucks-are-killing-car-sales

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Car sales were only 30% of new US passenger vehicle sales in 2017 and the percentage is shrinking each year from several years ago. SUVs and trucks are dominating the market. Tesla would be smart to make their next big release be a medium sized SUV.

I wouldn’t really consider the X a large SUV. Sure it can fit 7 but that’s more to do with not having a transmission etc. My LX is quite a bit larger than the X.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

By the time they get a model like that out, if they can even fund its development now (remember they have a new roadster and *supposedly* freight vehicles), others will already be established in that market and what would likely be their price range, whilst the X sales probably fall off a cliff. Jaguar, Porsche, Volvo etc. I doubt they would compare very well.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I wouldn’t really consider the X a large SUV. Sure it can fit 7 but that’s more to do with not having a transmission etc. My LX is quite a bit larger than the X.

From the pictures I have seen, the X does not really look like an SUV and appears smaller in cargo room. The price is the real problem. Tesla needs a midsize SUV for less than $60k to take sales away from that booming market.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

It'll be interesting in next 10 years as Volkswagen really expands their electric lineup. Their shift is due to not being able to sell a diesel engine any more. The electric car space will really get crowded over the next decade and take a sizeable chunk of the market. Battery capacity is the only limiter currently, particularly if you live in an environment that is cold in the winter.

Solid state battery technology is probably about 10 to 15 years away from being implemented in the scale of a car battery. That could be the tech that makes range and charge time almost not a factor anymore and would also likely bring prices down significantly once mastered.
    I think we will see solid state batteries in cell phones and laptops in the next 5 years or so and then it is just a matter of time for cars.
    I do believe when the battery technology is improved the other major car manufacturers will jump in more aggressively to compete.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

From the pictures I have seen, the X does not really look like an SUV and appears smaller in cargo room. The price is the real problem. Tesla needs a midsize SUV for less than $60k to take sales away from that booming market.

Yeah that’s def a valid point. The price point of the X is ridic.

#67 5 years ago

I should clarify, the cargo space for an SUV needs one large unitary area to haul something like a piece of furniture as is the special utility of such vehicles. The X probably has a frunk but that does not suffice for most that want to haul a large dog in a cage, a loveseat, a pinball machine , etc.

#68 5 years ago

"frunk"? It's the word of the day!

#69 5 years ago

Will a Stern pinball machine fit in a Model X?

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I think you can stick in the frunk!

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

"frunk"? It's the word of the day!

yeah. Porsche had been doing frunks since at least the 60's. They had the mid engine. You could put the removable Targa top in the frunk.

#72 5 years ago

Once snuck into a drive in in a '67 VW frunk. Never knew it was called that.

#73 5 years ago

I just don't see the future for electric cars or Tesla for that matter. It's tough for any auto manufacturer to compete especially niche ones. I like the high tech stuff but a car needs to be practical and multi purpose. I just don't ever see the average busy family buying eletric. Not only are they expensive but they have limitations. It would be a nightmare to run out of charge in middle of a hot day with a car full of little kids. Gas cars now days simply work, take few minutes to fill tank, and are reliable for 200,000 miles. I see a lot of Tesla cars on the road so they must work for some but nobody I know.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If you had the fold down seats, I think it would, yes. Whether you’d want to haul a pinball machine in an expensive car like that...

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I just don't see the future for electric cars or Tesla for that matter. It's tough for any auto manufacturer to compete especially niche ones. I like the high tech stuff but a car needs to be practical and multi purpose. I just don't ever see the average busy family buying eletric. Not only are they expensive but they have limitations. It would be a nightmare to run out of charge in middle of a hot day with a car full of little kids. Gas cars now days simply work, take few minutes to fill tank, and are reliable for 200,000 miles. I see a lot of Tesla cars on the road so they must work for some but nobody I know.

You don't think the prices will go down as the tech improves and becomes more mainstream, the battery technology will ever improve to have long range (perhaps 600 miles) and fast charging, and the reliability could become as good if not better than gas vehicles because electric have less critical components?
    The future is a long time and science will make change for the better because that is what humans strive to do.

We are in the beginning stages and the early adopters always pay a premium and also suffer through the trials and tribulations of being the ones that elected to be first. Same thing happened in the TV market. Picture tube TVs were super reliable and had good pictures but the technology gave us larger screens that were overpriced for the early adopters and the units were ridiculously large and impractical. Finally the slimmed down large screen plasma and LCD technology was improved and the prices dropped and the TVs became the norm.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

In 10 to 15 years electirc cars will be appreciably less expensive to produce and run than internal combusion engine cars (fewer components, easier to assemble), they are already generally more reliable (see previous, less stuff to go wrong) and batteries and charging infrastructure is improving by leaps and bounds, much faster than say internal combusion engine tech is currently evolving.

A lot of the these points are currently true in many comparisons, it will just get more and more lopsided in favor of electirc vehicles as time goes on.

If you think everybody will be rolling around in massive gas guzzlers in 2040, you would be as correct as the people in 1978 thinking digital pinball games would never supplant EM`s.

There, finally a pinball comparison in a cargument

#77 5 years ago

I hope electric cars come down in price!

Else poor people are going to be completely priced out of vehicle ownership, and those in the country without mass transit will be screwed.

Used prices are still gonna skyrocket, "cheap" cars maybe but worthless without a new 5k battery pack to slap in.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I hope electric cars come down in price!
    Else poor people are going to be completely priced out of vehicle ownership, and those in the country without mass transit will be screwed.
    Used prices are still gonna skyrocket, "cheap" cars maybe but worthless without a new 5k battery pack to slap in.

Battery prices continue to fall dramatically and predictably:
    https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2016/6/14/37628986-14658972245098996_origin.jpg

Batteries in older Teslas are also lasting much longer than predicted.

Battery price drop over time (resized).jpegBattery price drop over time (resized).jpeg
    #79 5 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

If you think everybody will be rolling around in massive gas guzzlers in 2040, you would be as correct as the people in 1978 thinking digital pinball games would never supplant EM`s.

Bally stopped EM pin production in 1977.

20180818_161327 (resized).jpg20180818_161327 (resized).jpg
    #80 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Bally stopped EM pin production in 1977. [quoted image]

Someone at Gottlieb didn't want to move forward. 17 EM models from 1978-On
    https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&mfgid=94&yr=1978-1980&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

1978-02 Pyramid
    1978-02 Strange World
    1978-03 Sinbad
    1978-04 Neptune
    1978-05 Eye Of The Tiger
    1978-06 Joker Poker
    1978-07 Poseidon
    1978-08 Hit the Deck
    1978-09 Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    1978-10 Gemini
    1978-11 Dragon
    1978-12 Blue Note
    1978-12 Rock Star
    1979-02 Charlie's Angels
    1979-03 Solar Ride
    1979-03 Space Walk
    1979-03 T.K.O.

#81 5 years ago

I saw two pictures of a busy street in NYC, one in 1903 with dozens of horse-drawn carriages and one car, and one in 1913 with one horse and dozens of cars. Change can happen fast.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

I saw two pictures of a busy street in NYC, one in 1903 with dozens of horse-drawn carriages and one car, and one in 1913 with one horse and dozens of cars. Change can happen fast.

So are you out on Tesla or what?

If not there is another thread for you to boast about them.

#83 5 years ago

Around 1832 saw the birth of the electric car. Pretty amazing how that fad never really caught on in the almost 200 years since then.

Thomas_Parker_Electric_car (resized).jpgThomas_Parker_Electric_car (resized).jpg
    #84 5 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

Someone at Gottlieb didn't want to move forward. 17 EM models from 1978-On
    https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&mfgid=94&yr=1978-1980&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced
    1978-02 Pyramid
    1978-02 Strange World
    1978-03 Sinbad
    1978-04 Neptune
    1978-05 Eye Of The Tiger
    1978-06 Joker Poker
    1978-07 Poseidon
    1978-08 Hit the Deck
    1978-09 Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    1978-10 Gemini
    1978-11 Dragon
    1978-12 Blue Note
    1978-12 Rock Star
    1979-02 Charlie's Angels
    1979-03 Solar Ride
    1979-03 Space Walk
    1979-03 T.K.O.

Correct on Gottlieb with their "What's new is Blue" advertising campaign in '79 but they made many machines with both technologies just before....

#85 5 years ago

Even making EMS, Bally was already destroying the competition anyway, and rapidly becoming the top pinball manufacturer, which would continue through the early 80s, so it really didn't matter what kind of antiquated games others were making. On the plus side some of those last EMs used fully rectified DC play fields and were pretty snappy.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So are you out on Tesla or what?
    If not there is another thread for you to boast about them.

Based on who replied in the other thread if you can answer Yes or No to the question then your opinion applies.
    BTW were you previously "IN" on Tesla?

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

Based on who replied in the other thread if you can answer Yes or No to the question then your opinion applies.
    BTW were you previously "IN" on Tesla?

No, but I got permanently ejected from that thread for stating my opinion, so obviously to me it is a fanboys only thread. And likewise they are not welcome here as stated in my original post..

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Around 1832 saw the birth of the electric car. Pretty amazing how that fad never really caught on in the almost 200 years since then.
    [quoted image]

picture is 1895 looks like prior to that electric vehicles were primarily trains and trams attached to a wired power source and not battery powered.

BTW 100% of cars on the moon are battery powered electric!!!

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

picture is 1895
    BTW 100% of cars on the moon are battery powered electric!!!

Soon they will rule Uranus.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, but I got permanently ejected from that thread for stating my opinion, so obviously to me it is a fanboys only thread. And likewise they are not welcome here as stated in my original post..

I didn't eject you. Maybe you did something to violate the rules of the board. And as far as I can see, this is a public forum. If the mods think I am being disruptive or off topic, they will let me know.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashburn:

I like what Tesla does, and electric is definitely the future, but it's not, and likely never will be for me. Instead I went from a 2016 Corvette Z06 and just got a 2016 Porsche Cayman GTS. Electric vehicles are just completely soulless to me. They have no character and they sound like golf carts. I'll be buying gas powered manual cars for as long as they keep making them. Then when they stop, I'll just buy used cars.

I had model 3 on order but was still one year away, plus I didn’t like the looks especially the interior without any instruments like the S and every other car has. Plus l drove a S and while fast in a straight line, very removed from the personal interaction with the car.

Received my refund but took Tesla 2 months to send it, no communication from them until I sent several messages.

Eventually got a BRZ tS which is not a competitor to the 3 but it’s just my personal car so it’s all I need. I was a S2000 owner and missed that car since I sold it, BRZ reminds me a lot of a hardtop S2K with more room inside, more features and a radio I can hear.

I really prefer the feel and involvement of a manual transmission and BRZ lightweight and fun to drive.

EV might be the future but I’m getting the MT gas power car while they still make them.

#92 5 years ago

I guess preorders apply to cars AND pinball.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I guess preorders apply to cars AND pinball.

Some people just gotta be the first on their block to own certain things without even given it a test drive. I did it with TNA, but it was almost certain to be of the same quality of the one I played. And it was.

Never do it with a car though. I'm test driving and inspecting the one I'm buying or no sale. Plus I'm not buying a car just to buy a car. It would be because the one I have no longer does the job. And then waiting would not be an option.

#94 5 years ago

I had to change my autopay source on Solar City (now Tesla) this year. This is the message you get when you go to the make payment section of their website after logging in (similar message on phone app). I've seen this message for well over 4 months. It even used to state they didn't know when payment site would be back up. Called the telephone number and pressed 1 to leave a callback message and the system told me the mailbox was full. Emailed them 3 times over 3 weeks before anyone finally responded. Seems to me like they need to focus more on their ability to actually accept money from paying customers.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #95 5 years ago

I kicked that one to the curb several years ago

image-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpg
    #96 5 years ago

JGYI; we had a Nissan NV200 as a work vehicle, perfect setup, fast. We loved the vehicle. They promised us a minimum range of 200km, 80% load on 4 hours. But after we drove 60km, we where driving on emergency km's, 12km left...

We did a phonecall and we got a reliable diesel instead.

So, I'm loving EV's, but cmon, 72km on a 24hour loadingsession...

#97 5 years ago

Tesla will probably announce the fastest, highest capacity, longest-range work vehicle with the best technology for drivers and free super charging rights* soon. It will promise to make similar diesel vehicles go the way of the Dodo Bird.

* Must transport vehicle 40 Km to the nearest super charger. Then wait, and wait and wait. Kind of like everyone had to for gasoline in 1973 & 74.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

In 10 to 15 years electirc cars will be appreciably less expensive to produce and run than internal combusion engine cars (fewer components, easier to assemble), they are already generally more reliable (see previous, less stuff to go wrong) and batteries and charging infrastructure is improving by leaps and bounds, much faster than say internal combusion engine tech is currently evolving.
    A lot of the these points are currently true in many comparisons, it will just get more and more lopsided in favor of electirc vehicles as time goes on.

I just don't believe all technology advancement is exponential. People in the 1950's thought we would all be in flying cars long before now and be flying around the galaxy in spaceships. We went to the moon in the 1960's and look at where space exploration is today. Things improve to a point but there are always limitations and costs. Vehicle costs have gone up and people expect more from them. People drive "massive gas guzzlers" today because that is the kind of car they want/need. Internal combustion engines are not going away. They are very efficient, reliable, and there is an entire huge industry to support them. Electric cars would have to be pretty incredible to ever change that industry and buying habits of all types of people. Just don't see that happening in my lifetime.

#99 5 years ago

IMO when you have a waiting list 500K long tells me a few things that could go wrong.

1) a lot of people want to get something that’s hot (topical) blah blah a new Tesla however once 100K are on the street it’s not so cool and new anymore so people who care about that might not want it see this happen with cars once they are out 1-2 years. There might be a downtrend due to that once it’s a year or two and lots more on the street.

2) people wanted the $35K car and the $7500 rebate. Not a lot of $35K being made and the rebate won’t last forever so that might lead to a downtrend once rebate expires. This will give a leg up the the competition.

3) people can’t or don’t want to wait forever will get something else and to me EV is not a killer app it’s just a car so if I’m getting something for transportation I can choose from 100 different cars/suvs in this price range.

4) other companies will fill this area, might be with EV or hybrids but basically anything with 4 wheels and an engine to drive me to work this is not something Tesla is a the only game in town.

5) some people might not care for the model 3. I know people early on the list who passed because they were underwhelmed.

6) **this is a key point. The 500K list might be the majority number of people who wanted the model 3 overall. Like they figured they’d get one what’s the harm of getting on the list. This is part of the hard core Tesla fans. This problem is like say TNA. Sure there is a good demand but once they sell 500 pins the rest of the market will be satisfied with the resale of TNA not like they will need to make 200 a year forever. I was watching a documentary about the AMC pacer where they said the first year demand was through the roof so they sold double what they had projected problem was the next year everyone who wanted one had bought one so the sales tanked.

I see this a lot with cars take S2000 can’t make enough for first few years and then after a bit there is no market, sure they still sell some but there is no crying demand after a few years when all the guys who really want one got one. The sales level off and then slide and then they stop making them.

It’s possible the 500k waiting list is a mirage where some just want the rebate (soon gone) and some want the new/fresh car which will soon be one of hundred thousands (not new/fresh after a while). So I don’t expect the demand to be super high for long like to project hundreds of thousand sales / year. There are a lot of things helping the big waiting list that overall might let air out of the sales. Yes hundreds of thousands want one, but will that be recurring or more of a one off from Tesla fans who were priced out of the S/X due to six figure price tag.

Loss of rebate
    Loss of newness
    Other competitors that will newer or fresher
    People who want one already factored in and once they buy less Tesla super fans left and folks can buy used so less demand for new

#100 5 years ago

I prefer corded power tools when doing work, nothing more irritating than a weak battery. A gasoline car represents freedom and plenty of power to do the job. An electric vehicle is "Polite" where you don't push it too hard and need to constantly be aware of your reserve power.
    Tesla should turn their focus to the 100 MPG gasoline vehicle. We have all become aware that "Peak oil" was a lie, and with the advancements of US Companies ability to harvest shale deposits we became the leader in oil production.
    Electric cars are pushed by the same weenies promoting mass transit, they want to know where you are going and controlled as to where you go.
    I can jump in my old truck and drive to Alaska, with no thoughts to running out of power, as well as traveling anonymously. No devices installed communicating with the Manufacturer or an eye in the sky. I can pull a trailer, sleep in the bed, haul supplies and fuel. Any electric vehicle will wimp out trying these things.
    Some forward thinkers don't like a common citizen having that measure of freedom.

There are 518 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-out-on-tesla-model-3-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.