(Topic ID: 206357)

Who Is Not Planning On Buying Any New (NIB) Games In 2018 ?

By o-din

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Magic_Mike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

squirrel (resized).jpg
    50 (resized).jpg
    50 cal (resized).jpg
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Well, my friend's buying TNA so I can play it there and none of the other rumored or announced themes do anything for me, so I guess I'm not.

#2 6 years ago

*reads the thread title*

#3 6 years ago

I will be buying Iron Maiden this year.

#4 6 years ago

I didn’t plan on buying 2 NIB pins this past year.

#5 6 years ago

I've only purchased one pin in the last ten years (Mustang premium NIB in 2014) and I can't afford to buy any in 2018 or beyond.

Scared Stiff is my favorite and Elvira 3 is rumored for 2018. Maybe they'll botch it's design and it won't hurt that I can't afford one?

#6 6 years ago

Well I’m broke as crap, so I’m not buying any nib games this year. Hopefully pay off the car though.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well, my friend's buying TNA so I can play it there and none of the other rumored or announced themes do anything for me, so I guess I'm not.

I guess it depends on if you count TNA. I put the deposit down in 2017, but I'll be paying for it in 2018. I'm considering it a 2017 purchase for the spirit of this thread.

Other than that? Nah, probably not. I'll actually be surprised if I ever buy another NIB game again, I think I'm basically over it with the way pinball is trending now. Bad enough that the games are so stupidly expensive, but buying new just feels like it's for suckers now. Code, issues, who knows what, all to get something first, but somehow we're paying more than ever for that privilege. (If you buy NIB I'm not calling you names, please do whatever makes you happy, I just don't see the value personally.)

Scott found the magic formula with TNA, if someone can do that again I'm listening. That means no license, no stupid code issues, no stupid price tag. That means passion, original content, a full package with sound and everything, and gameplay first. Not holding my breath. But hey, I guess you never know. Maybe unlicensed pinball could make a comeback if the rumors of Ritchie doing one are true. Even Spooky has succumbed to the licensed game thing now though.

#8 6 years ago

I have a strong feeling 2019 won't be any different.

#9 6 years ago

So, when you say “new” do you mean a brand new game or just one new to you? I can say I’m interested in the Elvira 3 and the Iron Maiden but highly unlikely I’ll have the money for either. I’ll probably just end up buying another classic Bally pin like Fireball 2 or Viking.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

So, when you say “new” do you mean a brand new game or just one new to you?

NIB. Brand new. Not many other games are new to me.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There's really only one scenario in pinball that has a future for me, and that's TNA inspiring a new run on original thinking. Even the homebrew games are all licensed titles. Nothing but respect for the people doing Last Starfighter, or Nightmare Before Christmas, or Doom, or any of the other cool and fun projects, but if they were original instead it would be so much more exciting.

You don't have to make an early 80s Bally style game (though I think you should!) but tell a new story. Be actually creative. Surprise me, instead of playing me my favorite movie quote again, or playing a song I've heard a 1000 times.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

a new run on original thinking.

It's a shame that went out of style in the 90s.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I guess it depends on if you count TNA. I put the deposit down in 2017, but I'll be paying for it in 2018. I'm considering it a 2017 purchase for the spirit of this thread.
    Other than that? Nah, probably not. I'll actually be surprised if I ever buy another NIB game again, I think I'm basically over it with the way pinball is trending now. Bad enough that the games are so stupidly expensive, but buying new just feels like it's for suckers now. Code, issues, who knows what, all to get something first, but somehow we're paying more than ever for that privilege. (If you buy NIB I'm not calling you names, please do whatever makes you happy, I just don't see the value personally.)
    Scott found the magic formula with TNA, if someone can do that again I'm listening. That means no license, no stupid code issues, no stupid price tag. That means passion, original content, a full package with sound and everything, and gameplay first. Not holding my breath. But hey, I guess you never know. Maybe unlicensed pinball could make a comeback if the rumors of Ritchie doing one are true. Even Spooky has succumbed to the licensed game thing now though.

As said in other thread, I hope to buy Wrath of Olympus.
    I won’t buy anything else if this pin is not coming into production. ( I decided to buy only pin with mature code, huo or Nib)
    This game is already developed, great original theme, unique layout, great light and sound shows, mature code. Only need to be built.
    I think this one could come into your expectations! However, I would be fully happy to buy this one.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

As said in other thread, I hope to buy Wrath of Olympus.
    I won’t buy anything if this pin is not coming into production. ( I decided to buy only pin with mature code, huo on Nib)
    This game is already developed, great original theme, unique layout, great light and sound shows, mature code. Only need to be built.
    I think this one could come into your expectations! However, I would be fully happy to buy this one.

WOOLY is great, I respect that team a lot, they have a lot of original ideas. It's a "sort of" license, in that it uses already existing ideas, but it's a big step in the right direction.

But I want more than that personally. Greek myths have been mined to death. Hades is a good villain, but he's a familiar villain. From Percy Jackson to Wonder Woman to Clash of the Titans there's a ton of properties doing the Greek myth riff.

I think Heighway was stupid to make a motorcycle game no one wanted instead of their Greek myth game, original doesn't always equal good.

But tell your own story. It's more work, but it's rewarding. If you're not interested in building a world I'm not really interested in buying your game. I have hundreds to choose from, having a ramp and some rules isn't really enough. Building it because you can, and using a license because it's easier just aren't compelling enough reasons in 2018. For me.

#15 6 years ago

I understand and respect your point of view. I just think you maintains high expectations.
    I just consider Wooly as an original layout game with great sounds and great light show. I need to play it again with last update code, but I am sure it is great. I love the theme even if already used.
    The only question I was wondering is if the riot team would consider to built it with LCD.

#16 6 years ago

I'm one of the few people that doesn't enjoy "modern" pinball gameplay. The more modes and toys a pin has, the more turned off I get. To me it is an almost artificial mechanism that has more in common with video games. Classic pinball needs to be easy to explain yet difficult to achieve and therein lies your replayability. I can play Stars or Joker Poker all night but I'm probably only gonna hit start once on GOT and that's why I'm out of the NIB market before we even factor in price. I completely understand why others feel the exact opposite as I do, there are so many ways to personalize this hobby and that's part of the reason it's such a blast.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What! No LE!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I'm one of the few people that doesn't enjoy "modern" pinball gameplay. The more modes and toys a pin has, the more turned off I get. To me it is an almost artificial mechanism that has more in common with video games.

It does seem like there is a lot of useless junk on the play fields of recent games. And I don't really care what size color TV they have either. Factor that in with themes that I have no interest in and sitting out buying NIB games for me is a no brainer. I've had a couple over the last few years to try them out, but they didn't stay very long.

I still like some of the older DMD games which had functional devices on the play field, original or current for the time themes, and rules that I can understand. But like you, I seem to get more satisfaction playing pure pinball and not glorified video games with flippers.

#19 6 years ago

I'm not. I wasn't planning on buying in 2017 either. Then along came TNA.

#20 6 years ago

With Alice Cooper and perhaps Elvira 3 in 2018, there will certainly be some temptation

#21 6 years ago

Nothing out there gets me excited at the moment so I'm not expecting to pick up a nib in 2018. I'm after some older very good condition games which are a lot harder to find.

#22 6 years ago

JJP #4 might be interesting enough for me to put some money into. Have to see how it evolves when shipping starts. Possible interest in IronMaiden if actually gets made and code/quality concerns are dealt with to justify price.

#23 6 years ago

Not planning on any new games... but doesn't mean I won't get one.

#24 6 years ago

LEs are a farce. I got suckered into buying an LE Met when it came out thinking it would be a hot item, then found people still had them for sale in the box for cheaper months later. TronLE is the exception. And don't even get me started on the JJP LE model.

Th only real LEs now are turd games that nobody wanted in the first place.

#25 6 years ago

I am going to buy some new games this year. I had to sell of some games to buy a boat. The difference is stern is doing nothing for me. If I do go NIB it would be DI, TNA or ARMre.
    Or I might just rock Kiss and a LOTR.

Newer sterns just went doing it.

#26 6 years ago

I don't see it happening this year...
    OH LOOK, A PINBALL MACHINE FOR SALE! PM SENT

#27 6 years ago

I bought a DILE in 2017. It’s actually sitting in a warehouse in my hometown. It arrived the day after I left for Christmas vacation. (It got delayed in transit). I am not planning on buying anything in 2018, at least until I have played it. I’m close to retirement, so all I really care about is good fun gameplay. DI does that for me. After I play some of the new offerings I may change that course however, but no purchases are planned. Pinball is my only ‘vice’.

#28 6 years ago

Still waiting on Stern to get their act together, but there isn't much out there that I'm clamoring to own.

I wouldn't mind trying TNA, however.

#29 6 years ago

No plans to buy anything NIB. None of the themes since WOZ have interested me in the tiniest bit. As for older games if I were to buy any they would be to flip. I've got the best collection of games that I could ever acquire so nothings really going to change here.

John

#30 6 years ago

I not only am not planning on not buying a new game in 2018 I will probably get rid of the games I have. I am planning on moving to a 55 or over apartment or a retirement home since I really cannot take care of my property do to a stroke I had.

#31 6 years ago

This thread needs a poll.
    Id like to get a nice Bingo circa 1955-1962.
    Yes, im buying a Houdini.
    Lifes short, need NIB in 2018. Its only money.
    Always keeping one eye open for nice woodrail to. I like them all. 1930-2018.
    If this damn JJP pirates was so expensive would get that to, but maybe, its only money.
    Oh, Radical would be nice.
    Im in the wrong thread, sorry.

#32 6 years ago

nothing for me, my house is full, my shed is full
    I need to finish up some of my 'too many' projects

#33 6 years ago

Nothing but TNA excites me atm , an Elwin , Lyman game w/ Yeti, D.D. or Franchi art might stir things up . I do kinda want a Blackwater 100. To answer your question , I'm not planning to buy anything .

#34 6 years ago

Too early to tell. I'll get back with you with in december.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This thread needs a poll.

Sorry, but I was a little hungover when I started this thread and now it's too late to add one. But just for shits and giggles-

Why won't you be buying an NIB pinball machine in 2018?

1- My friend is buying TNA so I don't have to.

2- New pinball machines are a ripoff and I have better things to do with my money

3- I don't want to get a lemon and have to start a thread on pinside to get it resolved

4- They haven't done a theme I can relate to since Big Buck Hunter

5- I prefer beat to shit old games

#36 6 years ago

Who knows what will come out in 2018. I’ll get something, but until I play whatever is coming out that something may be a surf champ, JJP pirates, or Simpson’s. But who knows... maybe we’ll get a black and white walking dead, a Radiohead or Zelda pin

#37 6 years ago

I'm not buying anything new, or old. My arcade is complete for now.

#38 6 years ago

This is easy CGC pin #3

CGC Is at the top of the game right now!!

#39 6 years ago

The question was, who is not planning on buying a new (NIB) game in 2018?

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

5- I prefer beat to shit old games

#41 6 years ago

The older and shittier the better!

#42 6 years ago

I'm still debating on Houdini or JPPOTC, Stern is totally off the radar. But at these prices I'm still even debating of letting everything slide.

#43 6 years ago

For me I guess I will follow though on my TBL if that happens???? Other than that probably just wait on the secondary market stuff maybe. After two bad playfields from Stern that took to long to replace I just can't take the risk. Hopefully the prices on older beaters comes down like the resale of new pins.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Are any years any different?

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Hopefully the prices on older beaters comes down like the resale of new pins.

For some reason, I foresee a half ass restored Playboy in your future.

#46 6 years ago

I am out!!! Unless I have some unforseen financial windfall!!

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Are any years any different?

Yeah, unlike some past years I won't be suckered into buying a new game with a theme I probably won't like or don't want just to have a new game.

#48 6 years ago

There is no hope for the satisfied man

#49 6 years ago

The hobby is clearly still growing so I think it is safe to say there will be a lot of NIB bought. I plan on buying NIB Metallica and ACDC if I cannot find a used one. Proven games that are worth the money!

#50 6 years ago

Unless I hit the lottery, or sell my one remaining kidney, there will be none for me. That's ok with me though. The new stuff is nice, but buying used eliminates that "first scratch" or "first breakage" syndrome I think I would have.

I have never bought a NIB game. Maybe someday.

Chris

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-not-planning-on-buying-any-new-games-in-2018?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.