Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by aeneas
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who is interested in a Houdini pinball machine?”

• I am interested in a Houdini and seriously considering purchasing one 66 votes
      33%
    • I have no interest in a Houdini 35 votes
      18%
    • Mabye if it plays well, code is decent and it can be produced in a timely fashion 64 votes
      32%
    • I like Pizza 34 votes
      17%

(199 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumb_600 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3982 (resized).PNG
    yup (resized).jpg
    Houdini illusion.jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I really dont think that the shoots are impossible, hard maybe a little. But with practice, the game is very fun.

The only shot that is impossible is the milk jug or can or whatever you call it. It does not seem like it is that important and really does not take anything away from the game. The only other shot that is tight is right inner loop, but it seemed like once I knew when to flip and timed it right I got the shot dialed in pretty quickly. I think it is fun and has a ton going on, and the build quality is top notch.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

The only shot that is impossible is the milk jug or can or whatever you call it. It does not seem like it is that important and really does not take anything away from the game. The only other shot that is tight is right inner loop, but it seemed like once I knew when to flip and timed it right I got the shot dialed in pretty quickly. I think it is fun and has a ton going on, and the build quality is top notch.

Milkcan is a bear but then again I hit it three times in a row last time I played

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Milkcan is a bear but then again I hit it three times in a row last time I played

PinballTilt posted the way to hit it consistently on Page 1

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

It does not seem like it is that important and really does not take anything away from the game.

When I looked the first cad of the playfield it was clear that was going to be a tough shot, which is why the rules use is sparingly. It is used to increase the playfield multiplier (but you have to also hit the ramp right after it), since I felt that was appropriate since that is a more advanced player kind of thing. One mode uses it (and is quite lucrative if you can hit it), one jail escape uses it and one secret mission, so 3 out of 25 modes/escapes/films/missions). So there is a clear benefit to being able to hit it, but not like it is a critical shot to enjoy the game. In some ways the hardest part is then hitting the ramp right after it to increase the multiplier, since it can come through that loop awfully fast.

#55 6 years ago

The milkcan shot is a shot that you accidentally hit, but when you need to you just can’t.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

since it can come through that loop awfully fast.

or drains down the left atleast it gives it back to you!

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

or drains down the left atleast it gives it back to you!

does not happen often, but I felt if it does take that odd bounce you should not be penalized for making a tough shot.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

does not happen often, but I felt if it does take that odd bounce you should not be penalized for making a tough shot.

much appreciated. its lame getting punished for doing what the game tells you to ha

#59 6 years ago

I like pizza!

thumb_600 (resized).jpgthumb_600 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #60 5 years ago

Got to play Houdini again and the second time around was not as pleasant as the first. Ok I am going to admit that the shots are tight like a tiger on this one and my last game was brick city. I played IMDN after playing Houdini and it made me appreciate the flow. Houdini is still a fun game to play, but not sure if it would be a good game for the home. I will try and get some good time on it before I make a decision, but for now it is off my radar and other titles interest me more.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Got to play Houdini again and the second time around was not as pleasant as the first. Ok I am going to admit that the shots are tight like a tiger on this one and my last game was brick city. I played IMDN after playing Houdini and it made me appreciate the flow. Houdini is still a fun game to play, but not sure if it would be a good game for the home. I will try and get some good time on it before I make a decision, but for now it is off my radar and other titles interest me more.

I know what you're saying. I've come to realize i enjoy games that are fun and make me feel like a better player than I am. Houdini just wasn't all that enjoyable of a game in my small collection. I only play one or two games a night, and I want each of those games to put a smile on my face. So I traded it for medieval madness remake. Houdini is very nice to look at and if I ever have a large collection, it may find a home with me again.

#62 5 years ago

Got to play a bunch of this at the Seattle Pinball Museum yesterday. It's fun! Agreed on the tight shots, but when you make them they're really satisfying and the "gimmick" shots are fun, especially since they all worked as designed almost 100%, which is impressive. The shot through the pops, that weird curve that flings it around to the stage, and the milk can loop are all highlights. I'm not even sure why, but they're just satisfying to shoot.

7 months later
    #63 5 years ago

Ok so I have temporarily given up on Houdini, the shots are simply too tight and the layout does not work for me. I have a serious question I thought of the other day while playing Houdini. I thought to myself- Is there a way to salvage this game? I really love the theme and want to like it. I then had a couple of thoughts- #1 Is it possible to have smaller pinballs that maintain a heavier weight ratio to size. Having smaller balls may help with tight shots? #2 Is it possible American would ever consider re-designing and making it a wide-body? Would this piss off all the current owners?

#64 5 years ago

They sell a 1" ball here:
    https://www.vxb.com/10-1-inch-Diameter-Carbon-Steel-Bearing-Balls-G40-p/Kit16361.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5KqUw7Gg3wIVAZBpCh3RkQxoEAQYAyABEgIURPD_BwE
    It would be interesting to see how it played with these. Bring some over and we can try it on mine.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from angus:

Bring some over and we can try it on mine.

Ok so I went to buy them-because I really am curious if it would help with number of brick shots. Went to checkout to buy and they wanted to charge me almost $15 for shipping. If I owned the game I would pull the trigger, but maybe someone who owns the game would want to try this? If someone does try smaller balls-please let me know how it works?

#66 5 years ago

No experience with Houdini.
    In my safecracker I have 1 inch balls and it plays well. Shots are just a bit easier to make but the smaller size isn't different enough to change the feeling.
    Trying them in Houdini is a good idea.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-interested-in-houdini/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.