• no 49 votes
    49%
  • I need to play one first. 39 votes
    39%

(101 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wooly.jpeg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Got this email from the Riot pinball guys. Great to see more cool games going into production!

Hello WOOLY Fans!

We've had a busy year since WOOLY's first public debut last year at the Chicago Pinball Expo. With the overwhelming positive response we received from Expo we decided to build another prototype and keep refining the game.

The second WOOLY prototype is now fully functional and ready to go for this years Chicago Expo! We tried to keep this build as true as we can to a production model with our limited budget and have succeeded in making another tremendous game that looks and plays great. While there are many things that still look "prototype" it's another step ahead from our first prototype which most people thought looked like production quality.

Here's a quick recap of the additions and modifications:

- New Interactive Toys:
- HADES pop up toy raises out of the playfield and includes comedic taunting.
- Pandora's Box has a physical ball lock.
- Professionally made playfield with direct print graphics.
- All premium cointaker LEDs
- Multiball!!! We now have 5 different multiball modes!
- Addition of many, many more hurry-ups and overall deepening of an already deep ruleset. See the attached file with a list of features in the code.
- Upper flipper shots optimized: Upper ramp is now much easier to hit, upper orbit flows fast with a clean shot.
- Improved the Charon Loop/plunger lane geometry: ball returns to the right flipper smoothly now on clean shots to the loop. Plunger shot elevates right away above the loop and enters the playfield at the same area as before.
- Cleaner, more professional vacuum formed ramps (they're still prototype right now and hand cut, but much clearer and smoother than the first prototype).
- Lots more animations, audio, and voice call outs.
- Laser cut ball guides.
- Direct print plastics

The best news from this past year is that we now have an agreement with Spooky Pinball for them to manufacture WOOLY! Spooky has shown their commitment to building quality pinball machines and is the only boutique manufacturer that is actually shipping games. They have the capacity, resources and knowledge to build great pins. With Spooky Pinball being able to make our games we felt that we are now ready to start taking official Wrath of Olympus orders.

Here are the details on pricing and timing:

Cost: $7950.00 USD + applicable taxes, fees, shipping, etc.
Shipping Estimate: First units starting to ship Q3-Q4 2015.
Minimum Number of Units: A minimum of 100 orders will be required to start production.
Maximum Number of Units: As our first release we have decided to make WOOLY a limited production of a maximum of 250 units.

Payment:
Phase 1:
-$1000.00 USD secures your Wrath of Olympus pinball machine. As WOOLY followers, everyone on this list is receiving this information first, and has first access to securing their spots. The official announcement will go out to the public at Expo. This initial deposit is due by January 1st, 2015.

Phase 2:
- Once a minimum of 100 spots have been secured with payments I will be sending a confirmation email out along with additional information requiring an additional build deposit of $3,500.00 USD. This deposit will be due by February1st, 2015.
- If we don't get 100 build deposits all monies will be returned minus any paypal, CC fees, etc.
- Refunds due to not reaching the minimum build quantity of 100 units will be processed after February 1st, 2015.

Phase 3:
- Once the minimum 100 spots have been secured with these two initial payments, this money will no longer be refundable - the money will be used to directly pay for parts to build YOUR game. Essentially production will begin which includes ordering and manufacturing the longer lead time items like the incredible direct print playfields, professional CNC'd thermoformed ramps, molded toys, etc. If there are additional buyers after the February 1st, 2015 deadline that would like to purchase a WOOLY any special refund requests may be transferred for those that need to.
- Once we move into production a special goodie bag full of WOOLY and Riot Pinball gear will be sent to those buyers to help tide them over through the manufacturing process.

Phase 4:
- When your game is done being manufactured the remaining balance will be due. Once final payment has been received your game will ship.

Phase 1 Payments can be sent via paypal to: [email protected]

or contact scott at [email protected] to set-up alternate payment options.

Please include the following information with your payment:

Full Name
Address (including Country Pinball Machine will be Shipped to)
Email Address
Phone Number

As always, please feel free to email me with any questions! Due to the large number of people on this list and the number of questions that may come up, please give me some time to respond as there may be a few frequently asked questions that arise that are not on the FAQ below that I will be better off handling all at once.

Again, thank you to everyone for your support on this project. I look forward to seeing WOOLY's in people's homes sometime next year.

-Scott Gullicks
Riot Pinball

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What if I pay my $1000 and I decide I do not want to buy a WOOLY?
A: If you contact me requesting a refund of your $1000 before February 1st, 2015 your money will be refunded to you in a timely manner minus any fees incurred during the transaction.

Q: What if I pay all of the $4500 and I decide I do not want to buy a WOOLY?
A: If you contact me requesting a refund before February 1st, 2015 your money your money will be refunded to you in a timely manner minus any fees incurred during the transaction. If the request comes after February 1st, the deposit is no longer refundable and the request will be denied unless there are additional buyers after that time frame in which the deposit can be transferred.

Q: What happens if you don't get 100 buyers that pay the full $4500 by February 1st. 2015?
A: All monies collected from other buyers will be refunded minus any fees incurred during the transaction.

Q: Why are you making the payment process so difficult?
A: I want to lower your risk and mine. If we don't reach the minimum build order of 100 with the initial payment of $1000, that money is much easier to deal with and refund than the full $4500.

Q: How will you handle Warranty?
A: All parts will have a 6 month warranty. Buyer will pay shipping of defective parts back to Riot Pinball, which will then ship replacement parts.

Q: Will the software be open source?
A: Due to liability with the high voltage coils and a need to offer a warranty the code will not be open source. All code improvement suggestions can be sent to [email protected] and may be implemented in potential future software updates.

Q: I don't like the music and sound bites, can I change them?
A: Yes, the music and sound bites can be replaced by owners with their own sounds if they are technically capable. Riot Pinball will not be directly supporting this process and will not be responsible for changes to the machine made by the owner.

Q: Will the background music that is currently on the WOOLY prototypes be on the production models?
A: No. We will have original scores for the production version.

Q: Will the troll head as the HADES pop up be on the production model?
A: No. This will be a custom sculpted and formed HADES head.

Q: What will change from the prototype to the production?
A: Professional CNC'd ramps and mounting, production tooling for HADES and the Pandora's Box, and overall some more fine tuning of the shots and how items are secured to the playfield.

Q: What happens after the 6 month warranty period if I have an issue?
A: Technical support will still be maintained by Riot Pinball. Parts will also be available for purchase through Riot Pinball or online suppliers.

Q: What electrical components are driving WOOLY?
A: WOOLY will be controlled by the PROC system and their PD boards. A cubie computer will controll the PROC.

Q: Will there be coin mechanisms in the coin door?
A: Yes, US coin mechs will be included. However a bill acceptor will not be included.

Q: Will there be any updates to the code?
A: Most likely yes. We strive to have everything perfect for release but I'm sure there will be somethings that will come up that may require updating as well as overall improvements and potential additions to the code. Updates will be able to be easily done via the USB port on the cubie.

Q: Will the machine have a service menu to help me diagnose problems and change features?
A: Yes, the machine will have a full service menu for helping identify coil, lamp, flasher problems, etc. It will also allow for easy adjustment of game difficulty and content.

Q: Will the production machines be numbered?
A: Yes. If you have a special number request please include that in your payment and we will accommodate as best as we can. First come first serve on the

#2 9 years ago

I really dug playing it at Allentown...but to the tune of $8K?

I'm out. If it were more in line with AMH, cost-wise, I'd be in.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

...but to the tune of $8K? I'm out. If it were more in line with AMH, cost-wise, I'd be in.

I agree.

#4 9 years ago

I am in !

#5 9 years ago

Haven't had the pleasure of playing it yet sadly.

#6 9 years ago

I also played it at Allentown and thought it was very cool. Its priced in line with jjp and sterns le games. It is limited to 250 so may be worth jumping on. For me I'm not sure yet so many games coming out! Great time for pinball!

#7 9 years ago

can't wait to play it again at Expo - great to hear about the progress on this!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I also played it at Allentown and thought it was very cool. Its priced in line with jjp and sterns le games. It is limited to 250 so may be worth jumping on. For me I'm not sure yet so many games coming out! Great time for pinball!

I agree that it's a great time for pinball, but the price tag is a bit of a shock. I'm excited for them to (hopefully) sell the required 100 games to get made, though. Would love to play one one day.

#9 9 years ago

To bad this game does not have a LCD.

#10 9 years ago

I am going to try very hard to get this game to Pintastic New England in July! Would be a great place to show case it!

#11 9 years ago

WOOLY is an awesome looking and themed pin. I was so glad that they were in Allentown. It was one of the show highlights for me personally. I know there's a lot of people in Boston and the New England area who would probably jump on board if they could see and play it for themselves. That said, I hope RP will be a part of Pintastic 2015 for everyone in NE to see.

Congrats and Good luck moving forward guys!

#12 9 years ago

saw it allentown, didnt get to play. too much for me though

#13 9 years ago

better question >>> Why are you posting this in 1st person when you are not part of Riot and they explicitly said public announcemnt at Expo. Pretty confusing for people that may not know whom is really riot pinball and also a little odd that you are stealing their thunder.

"The official announcement will go out to the public at Expo."

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

better question >>> Why are you posting this in 1st person when you are not part of Riot and they explicitly said. Pretty confusing for peopel that may not know whom is really riot pinball and also a little odd that you are stealing their thunder.

Sorry I added a header to my original post. Also I was in no way trying to steal there thunder. Just very excited about this game!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

better question >>> Why are you posting this in 1st person when you are not part of Riot and they explicitly said. Pretty confusing for peopel that may not know whom is really riot pinball and also a little odd that you are stealing their thunder.

It's all good - hard to keep the lid on anything on pinside anyway. Appreciate all the enthusiasm and support regardless of how it comes!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Sorry I added a header to my original post. Also I was in no way trying to steal there thunder. Just very excited about this game!

understood. I am pumped also, just assumed this was intended to remain quite till Scott posted on his own accord.

#17 9 years ago

It was sent out as an email this afternoon...everyone on their distribution list got it.

I had told him I'd be in on buying...I just never thought they would have the price tag that high. Bummer...it was one of my highlights at Allentown too.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

It's all good - hard to keep the lid on anything on pinside anyway. Appreciate all the enthusiasm and support regardless of how it comes!

Oh man, just came back into this thread.

WhySnow, this is AWESOME! This is talking about the game and getting the word out about it more. A new and fresh thread is a good thing. There's a lot of excitement surrounding this title. That's always a plus. Nothing but good stuff here. Anything to keep promoting WOOLY and see another successful "boutique" company produce some awesome pins is a great thing for everyone. Good luck and go RP!

#19 9 years ago

Well, as much as I really want to be in on this game I am not sure it is going to be feasible from a purely financial perspective. I am looking forward to playing at expo and sure hope to hear there are already 100 people in by that time! Maybe I can find a way to make this work before the Jan 1st deadline.

I was the 2nd person to originally get on the list when I heard about this game, have loved the art, layout, coding, ruleset, and gameplay every step of the way. Unfortunately I think I am priced out of the NIB market which is so very different from my desire to own this game.

I think you were smart to devise a payment plan like you did.
I think you were genius to get Charlie to build these (for both you and him)
I know the predetermined limit of 250 is very smart as it is a good way to also add some collectiblity back into "pinball collecting".
I unfortunately do not make enough money at this current stage in life to justify the price tag. Is it bad that I personally wish you were announcing this about 1 year later when I hopefully have a wife with a job?

Looking forward to expo and playing it there. Maybe I will find the means in the meantime.

#20 9 years ago

I hadn't even heard of this one.

It's got to the point where I truly can't keep up with all the pinball manufacturers now.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I hadn't even heard of this one.
It's got to the point where I truly can't keep up with all the pinball manufacturers now.

This is 1 you want to pay attention to Rob!

trust me! I trusted you on RS so just trust me on this one. Give it some time and be sure to check it out. VERY cool and amazing hand drawn artwork. Great ruleset and programmed by one of the best virtual pin programmers. Scott and crew have done an amazing job on this and the fact that Spooky has agreed to build should tell you something.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This is 1 you want to pay attention to Rob!
trust me! I trusted you on RS so just trust me on this one. Give it some time and be sure to check it out. VERY cool and amazing hand drawn artwork. Great ruleset and programmed by one of the best virtual pin programmers. Scott and crew have done an amazing job on this and the fact that Spooky has agreed to build should tell you something.

I went and searched for it on Youtube after I posted the above, and found this:

Wow. Look at that layout! I don't care for mini playfields, but man, this is a cool layout with tons of shots.

#23 9 years ago

this is truly great news. at the time of last years expo all I wanted to hear about was this game and what spooky is doing. all I got to hear about was a re issue of a highly over rated 20 year old game that now comes without coin mechs.
this year all I want to hear about is this game and what spooky is doing. real pinball machines made by real pinheads. congrats to you for going into production on this awesome looking game.

#25 9 years ago

Sorry if this has already been asked, but any chance this will be in York? I played it in Allentown, it was amazing! Looking forward to seeing the progress they have made.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm out. If it were more in line with AMH, cost-wise, I'd be in.

I understand, but it can't. BOM is different.
Widebody vs regular, 6 flippers vs 2.
WOOLY is loaded with toys (Panzer, leave that body )

I would rather compare it to the other widebodies on the market (WoZ, TH) or other pins in the $8k range (TBL, TWDLE, MMr):
- I fail to see the justification for $8k in TWDLE or MMr and might settle for TWD pro later.
- WoZ is nice (I find its PF actually nicer than The Hobbit) but not my favorite theme
- TBL is the only pin I could have considered instead of Wooly.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Q: What if I pay all of the $4500 and I decide I do not want to buy a WOOLY?

This Q&A makes me think that $4.5k was the original price point that at some point in time was changed to $8k and they forgot to edit the Q&A

FWIW: I love WOOLY on the Hyperpin - I can't wait to play one in person.

Thanks for sharing

#28 9 years ago

WOOLY?

wooly.jpegwooly.jpeg

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I went and searched for it on Youtube after I posted the above, and found this:
» YouTube video
Wow. Look at that layout! I don't care for mini playfields, but man, this is a cool layout with tons of shots.

Agree, but $8k?

Way too many pins hitting at that price.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

This Q&A makes me think that $4.5k was the original price point that at some point in time was changed to $8k and they forgot to edit the Q&A
FWIW: I love WOOLY on the Hyperpin - I can't wait to play one in person.
Thanks for sharing

The way I read it is that the $4500 is the amount of the first two deposits that is not refundable after Feb 1 2015, if there are 100 pins sold. so, you could send in deposit money and need to change your mind and get money back which is ok if you request it before the Feb 1 deadline.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Agree, but $8k?
Way too many pins hitting at that price.

however WOOLY is the first one I see that can actually logically justify that price. Custom art, huge BOM, all custom ramps, plastic, trans, widebody, 6 (that is right, 6!) flippers, tunes and callouts are WOW, mini pf that is actually a pf. I could go on, but WOOLY is jam packed with a fun to shoot layout and a real limited edition of a universal theme that is also non-liscensed and original.

On top of all this is is designed, programmed, and built by REAL PINHEADS. I do not know about you but that is something I value.

If you are currently in on a silly remake like MMR for 8k I would implore you to seriously think about where you are spending your money in pinball. Why not get a truly limited and unique game for the same price that is the tits. Do yourself a favor if you are on the fence and make the trip to expo to play this and talk with Scott and his team.

#32 9 years ago

This thing looks sweet, I will be all over it. Look at the details on the helmet WOW! Little blood splatter fun!

I'm in. I just need some pasties for Medusa or the wife is going to ax it.

#33 9 years ago

I am in. I love the art package. Game play, from what I played at Allentown, is excellent. I would have preferred for the price to be lower though.

#34 9 years ago

I give the highest props to WOOLY for it's non-cookie cutter lower-right PF that borrows from early Ballys: Fathom/Viking. I also give the lower PF design props for the fact that it's asymmetrical.

-mof

#36 9 years ago

Very nicely put together. It already looks to have that professional polish. Love the art, and feature packed p/f. What an accomplishment!

#37 9 years ago

I give the upper WOOLY PF props for the following facts:

It's a WIDE BODY without being a WIDE BODY cookie cutter template.

1. REAL ORBITS: It didn't copy T2's flow-kill idea of an orbit shot -> with possible cutoff to pops to create stop-n-go, and reduce flow. (An idea that's been copied far too many times to mention.)

2. NO TOYS: It's not wasting shots with bash toys, three mini-playfields, and more toys... Instead there are inner loops and a clean un-inhibited orbit. It's called FLOW. Toys "in general" are not good for flow/action.

3. NO POP CLUSTERS: No POP clusters that create stop-n-go. (Putting one near the inlane is a randomizer that can hurt you. It's genius.)

Imagine. Flow on a WIDE BODY. Honestly, it's what I've been dreaming of for a long time.

-mof

#38 9 years ago

Have any CAD drawings been released of the playfield?

I haven't analyzed the CAD drawings, but I'm going to assert right now, that this is the best-designed DMD-era wide-body PF for FLOW. I would need to compare it side by side to IJ. =)

Based on just the art and the prototype flow (still no idea what the final music and s/e will sound like) this would without hesitation be my NIB purchase if I had big $$$ for a pin.

-mof

#39 9 years ago

so many cool looking new games, so little pinball dollars to go around. This may all be good for the secondary market of older games.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

On top of all this is is designed, programmed, and built by REAL PINHEADS. I do not know about you but that is something I value.

Just curious, which pins are NOT done by "real pinheads"? I can't think of any.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I just never thought they would have the price tag that high.

Just look what they jammed into this game I think the price is right where it should be and compared to most of the current games been made right now this has more going for it.

8k for a MMr or a WOOLY? I think you are getting more bang for your buck with WOOLY and it's a true limited production game.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

8k for a MMr or a WOOLY? I think you are getting more bang for your buck with WOOLY and it's a true limited production game.

Looks great and I agree. Just not paying anyone 8k for a pinball again no matter what.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

however WOOLY is the first one I see that can actually logically justify that price..

Agreed as far as an original-themed machine is concerned. Some serious work went into making this game happen, as in beautiful original art work, not a photoshop colleague. Lots of unique customized things going on in this game as well. Stack it up against Hobbit or TWD. What looks like it received more time and attention to detail? I think it is obvious.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Have any CAD drawings been released of the playfield?
I haven't analyzed the CAD drawings, but I'm going to assert right now, that this is the best-designed DMD-era wide-body PF of all time for FLOW. I would need to compare it side by side to IJ. =)
Based on just the art and the prototype flow (still no idea what the final music and s/e will sound like) this would without hesitation be my NIB purchase if I had big $$$ for a pin.
-mof

Not sure if he used autoCAD, but it was originally designed in Visual Pinball.
It plays awesome on a Hyperpin too. Awesome to hear it coming to production "

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

however WOOLY is the first one I see that can actually logically justify that price.

Agreed... with the possible exception of The Big Lebowski. Dutch Pinball managed to build an awesome pin as well. But we have already Wooly videos, and are still waiting for TBL.

In any case, despite the price, I am 100% happy and confident WOOLY is a great pin. My only problem is that once WOOLY hits home, I will have to get a Medusa pin as well...

#46 9 years ago

Got the email too, but am stuck trying to decide if it's going to be this one, or TBL.

Hopefully they will both be at Pintastic and I can decide.

Either way - it's a really cool looking machine and I think the features/BOM justify the cost.

#47 9 years ago

I think WOOLY looks great. It appears to have a nice shot map with good flow and excellent art. Price is up there but I think it's competitive with the other new fully loaded machines like WOZ, likely the Hobbit and TBL.

My one concern is the sound as that tends to have a large impact on how enjoyable a game is to me. I want more than some hard driving rock background music. I think great voice work, humor, sound effects and a variety of music that are appropriate to the theme could really put this game over the top.

#48 9 years ago

I'm in. I'll let you know how it plays tomorrow.

#49 9 years ago

I don't think Dennis plays.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

My one concern is the sound as that tends to have a large impact on how enjoyable a game is to me. I want more than some hard driving rock background music. I think great voice work, humor, sound effects and a variety of music that are appropriate to the theme could really put this game over the top.

Sound and sound design is equally as important in engaging a player as the gameplay itself. The best games all share this commonality.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-wrath-of-olympus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.