Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider volunteerpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 7 years ago

If I ever buy tesla it would be for one reason: performance.

#46 7 years ago

Yeah, only problem is I told my wife to shoot me if I ever started talking about getting another car. I traded my last car (Jag XF-R with 500hp) for my current Land Rover and have never regretted it. Heck, I'd notice myself going 90mph down the interstate with my 3 kids in the car and not even realize it. It was fun though that's for sure.

1 month later
#386 7 years ago

Will a folded standard pin fit in the Model X?

1 month later
#462 6 years ago

Maybe looking at a '15 p90d with ludicrous mode at 10,000 miles local to me. Is an individual not a dealer. I've never driven one. Not sure I can stomach the kind of money he's wanting. It is pretty loaded as far as I can tell.

What kind of price would be a reasonable one to expect? I looked on nada and saw some numbers but not sure how accurate they are as just not many Teslas around in my neck of the woods.

I would love to grab it for $80k just not sure if that is realistic. I might be really off. I've yet to contact the person as I dont. want to come off as an idiot which isn't hard to do if you're me!

1 week later
#520 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Sounds neat -- a usable electrical outlet is cool, but I guess I feel like 77 miles is useless. Give me me a 750hp P100D equivalent with a transmission so it can tow ... that would be a game changer.

One step further for me as I'm not a pick up guy (did drive an F250 diesel for a couple years) and much prefer full sized SUV and have owned suburban, Escalade ESV and now a Yukon XL Denali. Whoa! If Tesla can make something like that it would be amazing.

3 weeks later
#561 6 years ago

Been lurking this thread for a while. Very interesting read and certainly has sparked an interest in Tesla. I have one buddy who has a Tesla and likes it a lot. My oldest son turns 16 next year and I will probably give him my 2011 Land Rover LR4 (WAY better than my first car which was a Pontiac J2000 wagon!) and will be in the market for a new vehicle. I will seriously consider Tesla. Even now there are plenty of P90D's used within a couple hundred miles of me for in the $90-100k range which, though high, is much better for me than $150k which I would not spend on any vehicle at this point in my life. I'm hoping that those come down a little more or the P100D's are more affordable a year from now.

Certainly is an interesting time. I can tell you that stuff I do every day at work was pure science fiction just 50 years ago. I think it is very feasible that within my lifetime (age 49) I see a time where the vast majority of vehicles are, in fact, electric. It is simply how technology is exponentially expanding.

1 month later
#656 6 years ago

Honestly this thread has been way more fun and informative to me than any other single thread on Pinside.

Anyone else heard of the Lucid Air? Looks amazing but Lucid as a company is in trouble financially. From what I've read they have many, many patents but are in desperate need of financing. One article I read said there Ford is has inquired about purchasing but apparently 2 other unnamed companies are also looking. Lucid is in the meantime trying to generate financing so they don't have to sell.

Seems to me one of the large automakers would stand to benefit greatly by accelerating their EV business by purchasing Lucid if for no other reason than to obtain the patents. I will say this, that Air looks pretty friggin' amazing and can hit 235mph with 1000hp!

#662 6 years ago

Yeah, looks cool but no way I'd put money on it! I just didn't know about Lucid before so I thought I'd share for others who are just now beginning to learn about EVs.

2 months later
#799 6 years ago

Test drove a new 75D in the S and X yesterday. Very impressed. Actually toying with buying a used P90D with all options and ludicrous upgrade. Any input from some longer term Tesla owners is appreciated. If I buy this I’m gonna want to drive it for many years in order to somewhat justify spending so much for a car (my first house 20 years ago was only $100k and it killed me of makes me sick to think of spending only slightly less on a car lol. Most I’ve spent on a vehicle to date is mid 60’s)

Thanks.

Darin

#801 6 years ago

Wife just put down a deposit. 2015 with 6k miles and literally EVERY option.

93B88CB4-6F25-404B-8E3C-DDE5E0D835AC (resized).jpeg93B88CB4-6F25-404B-8E3C-DDE5E0D835AC (resized).jpeg

92DBB599-3A84-4A52-9F4B-970BF586CFA8 (resized).jpeg92DBB599-3A84-4A52-9F4B-970BF586CFA8 (resized).jpeg

#804 6 years ago

Let’s just say buying slightly used is a huge financial boon.

Yeah, I used to have a Jag XFR with high performance low profile tires. Very expensive but I guess that is just cost of ownership but it does suck.

#806 6 years ago

A little more research and another question. This car has the "Autopilot Convenience Features" option which sounds like is the hardware version 1 of autopilot and will never be able to be upgraded to fully autonomous driving. Additionally, one thing I did like when test driving the new Tesla was the additional rear mounted cameras which allow you an amazing panoramic view behind your car as you're driving. I feel a little hesitation on not getting the latest-greatest as far as self driving goes. I'd hate to buy something only to feel like I need to upgrade later. (Kind of feels like I'm looking at a computer system more than a car, lol. Of course the technology is advancing so quickly I guess if you you're always waiting for tech to be finished you'll never jump in). There is a HUGE increase in cost to get the performance battery and the enhanced autopilot (like $40-50k right now) which simply isn't worth it in my opinion at this time. So, the question would be do I finish pulling the trigger on this or wait a couple of years to let the P100D's come down in price and buy then?

Am I overthinking this autopilot stuff? For those of you with similar specs to what I have a deposit on do you ever feel like your missing out on cruise control functions and lane departure-type stuff? I'm not really sure how much I'd use those features anyhow and grabbing a P90D with all options and Ludicrous for $86k seems like overall a great deal for a car that was $142k just 2 years ago.

Thanks for the help. I need a little free psychiatric advice when spending so much money. Just hoping to avoid any buyer's remorse.

Darin

#811 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't care about quicker off the line. That's not want a sports car is about. Some people claim Model S is a sports car because it's quick, it's not a sports car it's a large 5-door car. Maybe compare it to a Porsche Panamera or Audi S7 that's what it is like.
I don't give a hang about 1/4 mile times, am coming from S2000 and M3 and the M3 was a bit too big to qualify as a sports car.
The Model S weighs 4700+ lbs. I have a minivan and three-row SUVs that weighs less than a Model S, a sports car and a Model S are not anything alike.
The 911 is not a lightweight car like a Miata it does weigh as low as 3150 (1500 less weight than a well equipped Model S).

True, but I think the idea about the 85 was that you mentioned maybe getting a model 3. The point is for a nicely equipped 3 that you'll wait for you can get an 85 which is more car and you can have it now.

I have owned an older Porsche 968 Cabriolet and it was a fun car but it was no 911. I will say on my limited test drive Friday the Model S can corner like a banshee (for that size of a car...very low center of gravity and sticks to the road)

#818 6 years ago

Great to hear the positivity after 5 years ownership. I’m hoping to keep mine for many years.

Car being delivered his week.

#825 6 years ago

I received my P90D a few days ago. YIKES! What a car. Still trying to figure out how to use/program the thing. There are a few slightly weird things which I'm wondering if I'm not understanding something correctly...

Is the only way to unlock doors by going into the touch screen? Would be nice to have a normal button where the window buttons are like on every other car. Feel like I'm an idiot when trying to unlock doors

Also found an unintended consequence of the silent motor - my dogs don't realize the car is on so will walk in front of or behind the car when I'm parked but start to move. They usually are good about moving out of the way when they hear an engine. Certainly need to be careful and watch out for the pups!

#828 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

congrats! really an amazing vehicle.

I'm pretty sure putting the car in Park automatically unlocks it. Or you can tap the top of the keyfob. But yeah, the lock icon at the top of the screen is the best way to manually unlock the car from inside. It's in a different place than most cars, but it's always there, it's not like you have to dig through a menu to find it.

Luckily the backup camera is pretty great for that. Huge screen, fairly panoramic rear view. But yeah, keep an eye out when backing up. It can surprise humans as well.

Just found the lock icon earlier today! Much better.

#832 6 years ago

Nice! I just scored my car and got it last week. 2015 P90D with only 6k miles. Bought it from a dealer for $86,000 delivered to me from Michigan! Original sticker was $142,000! Have it charging right now for my first time at a supercharger. Having a beer while I wait. I have to get another electrical line ran to my garage so I’m stuck with either supercharging or my 110v at home which isn’t bad but just can’t keep up with my driving habits. Should be a week or two until I’m up and running for good home charging.

This car is freaking amazing! My purchase had nothing to do with going greens and everything about the driving experience which is off the charts. I definitely see this being the future and my wife already is ready to buy a model x but we’re about 5 years out from no longer needing the Yukon xl.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

629F5FA9-57A4-4883-95E9-53F8943DF412 (resized).jpeg629F5FA9-57A4-4883-95E9-53F8943DF412 (resized).jpeg

#835 6 years ago

Fantastic deal. Congrats.

#840 6 years ago

Yeah. Friggin' crazy! The roadster not only hits 60 in 1.9 but it will hit 100mph in a little over 4 seconds with a 1/4 mile flying by in under 9 seconds. I just need to get kids through college and look at buying a used one in 8 years

After owning my P90D for a week I'm still blown away by the electric motor and the overall experience of driving this car. I've owned some fairly nice vehicles and this is by far my favorite. I can easily see electric making ICE obsolete over time - especially if vehicles start getting 500 miles/charge!

2 weeks later
#930 6 years ago

Try living in TN. I had to pay an extra $100 to register my car just because it is electric. Not a big deal but how stupid is that. Supposedly TN is one of the worst states for renewable energy stuff. Still though, I love my state and just don’t see why I’d be expected to pay more for something my registration.

#940 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I don't understand your point. You obviously know that the gas tax on every gallon of gasoline sold is at least $0.25. So compared to a fossil fuel burning car, electric car owners are still not paying our fair share for maintaining the roads. What's your problem? How else is the infrastructure going to be paid for?

I guess that does make sense. At first I couldn't for the life of me understand why the higher charge. At least now I can wrap my head around it.

#943 6 years ago

You already can. My mom has an electric riding mower.

2 weeks later
#988 6 years ago

Wow. Nice center console compared to the emptiness of the S. Looks great. I'm still debating if it is worth $500 to buy a nice aftermarket center console.

1 week later
#1007 6 years ago

The photo I saw looked more like an old Camino. If that is true I doubt Ford has to worry too much. Now if they make a real truck or (please!) full-sized SUV, watch out!

#1009 6 years ago

That’s good to know as I was underwhelmed.

1 week later
#1036 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

o, to sum up ... despite sub-freezing temperatures, no regen for part of the trip, snow, sleet, rain, full use of headlights, and climate control set to 70 degrees, it still covered 100 miles at exactly the consumption rate the car predicted.

My ownership experience is only a couple months but very different than this. I charge to 90% nightly and live in ludicrous but don’t drive like a bat out of hell most of the time. I’m definitely not gentle and run about 80 or more on the interstate and will punch it if I’m the First at a red light. That is just too much fun to turn down. I consistently use 30% more battery “estimated miles” vs actual miles driven. I wish the car would take this into account somehow. I’ve not done any driving that is non local and do have a little range anxiety about doing so because of this experience. I feel like if I saw a 150 estimated range but only had to go 100 miles I’d be sweating it a little.

Hard part is testing a theory like that could end up with me stranded. So far that is my biggest beef with the car but my vehicle is more for local driving anyhow so it doesn’t bother me too much.
Your story does make me think I might try out chill mode and conservative driving just to see how much difference it makes with range predictions. My guess is my issue is more about how I drive than anything else but it would be nice to have a better understanding on this.

#1045 6 years ago

Daily commute today done on chill mode and at the speed limit (which was boring! if I drove like this all the time, might as well upgrade to a Camry, lol) and drove 37 miles. Only "lost" 41 miles on the estimated range so obviously my driving style is very much a culprit on the range prediction.

(This is using the little range finder next the the battery symbol on the dash...if I pull up the energy chart on the main screen that does always seem to show less anticipated range and is possibly more accurate. Can someone shed light on the difference between these two readings?)

1 month later
#1196 6 years ago

Well, be careful of those potholes out there, folks! Driving to work yesterday and I blew out my front and rear right tires by hitting a pothole in the dark on I40. Bummer. Got towed on a flatbed without incident (have your owner's manual in the car as there are a couple of settings needed while towing). New tires being put on today. Luckily nobody hurt and no damage to the car. Tennessee Dept of Transportation is supposedly reimbursing people for tires from potholes as we have such a major issue this year. Hopefully so. I was pleasantly surprised that 2 tires are 'only' costing $770 total. I thought it would be much more as I have the upgraded rims on my car with the low profile performance tires.

4 weeks later
#1281 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i think 99% of humans would have run over the person in that situation too. she appears at the last second. (also, i think humans WAY overestimate their own reaction time to an unexpected obstacle appearing on a highway in the middle of the night.)

i think it's brilliant. build prestige (any major car manufacturer would kill for Tesla's buzz level), prove you can build a car that people like (highest customer satisfaction in the industry), then market it to the masses.
but yeah, the the world does owe Tesla a debt for proving that an electric car can be fast / fun / cool / practical and doesn't have to look like an embarrassing spacebug or whatever.

I was parked in front of a Regal Cinema the other day dropping my kid off for a movie. P90D silver with upgraded wheels. Some 10 year old kid walking by the car exclaims, "DAMN! Nice car!". Not the greatest language for the kid but obviously Tesla has hit the prestige even for young boys.

1 week later
#1289 6 years ago

Have you rebooted the big console screen? Also, I agree with getting up to the LTE if you can.

1 week later
#1328 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I have found that to be true of all cars, with only silver looking decent longer than a day or two.
And I don't really care for silver as a car color.

Generally I agree but my P90D with all the bells/whistles looks pretty badass in silver in my opinion.

9D09801F-8A9B-4B6A-AAA4-8D863240DDC2 (resized).jpeg9D09801F-8A9B-4B6A-AAA4-8D863240DDC2 (resized).jpeg

#1335 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Is there a color that car would not be bad ass in? The tint and black mags are sweet.

Thanks!

When I've looked at the other "S"s around, I can say definitively that the 2 best upgrades are tint (which I believe on all vehicles) and the upgraded rim size/color. The wheels are actually a dark grey which accents the silver very nicely. I also like the powder coated red brake calipers which breaks things up a little.

2 months later
#1523 5 years ago

I simply could not read the wall of text a few posts up...

I'm a 2015 P90D I bought last fall used. We love it as I've mentioned numerous times in this thread. I own ZERO TSLA stock that I know of unless there is something inside a mutual fund. That said, my wife wants to but a Model X very badly and now that I've seen some 3's around town I can definitely see buying one at some point. It doesn't help Tesla, but buying a used Tesla is the way to go. I paid $87k for a car that stickered for $145k and I bought it with only about 5k miles. Yeah, it was a good deal and about $10k less than other S's I'd seen on Autotrader but the deal ARE out there. My hope it to buy a used Roadster 5 years from now!

1 month later
#1768 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

mine does 0-60 in about 2.4 seconds. you can do as many drag passes as you want, it's unlikely to ever go into limp mode at a drag strip unless you are doing them literally non-stop without any breaks between, which is impossible unless you are the only person at the drag strip. each quarter mile pass only use about 1.5% of the battery. so unless you're doing several dozen passes, it's a non-issue.
if you try to do laps at a track, yes, it will go into reduced power mode. it really was designed to be a family sedan, not a track car. the idea to make it the quickest sedan ever only came after they realized the crazy potential of the thing.
neither of those apply to my usage of the car, though. i keep it in Ludicrous mode all the time. i don't drive like a maniac, but if some joker in a Hellcat starts revving his engine at me, i can put him in my rear view mirror before his car is even done shifting into the correct gear. on ramps and stoplights are always fun.

I, too, live in Ludicrous. I mean, why wouldn't you? (P90D so a tad slower than your P100D but crazy nonetheless)

1 month later
#2061 5 years ago

Jeff, All wheel drive available on this deal? Tempting for sure even though I have a model S.

5 months later
#2530 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

It's an interesting reaction to the news of the $35k version of the Model 3. There are some people very excited, others saying it's clear no one wants the car and demand is gone since the SR says you can order and receive within 2-4 weeks,

I went on the Tesla site and most cars on there can be received in that time frame. Nothing to see here.

I will say this...it seems like the new pricing structure is really nice. As a '15 P90D owner I don't think that bodes really great for my resell value but I'm not planning on selling this car for a long time anyhow. My guess is I end up owning another Tesla before I sell what I already have.

1 month later
#2618 5 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Autopilot is good when the lanes are clearly marked and it tracks a moving car in front of you. It is very dangerous if you are traveling at speed and a car is stopped in your lane, you really can’t trust it at all. This is even with the latest update. It also doesn’t perform great when a lane divides or merges. The drive on have also struggles with lane changes in congested areas. If cars are zooming by and it wants to get over, it reacts way too slow to make it safe. It’s like it second guesses itself.
P3D White on white
Dual motor long range red on black

The stopped or very slow car up ahead is my biggest gripe with the EAP on my ‘15 P90D. It does not “see” far enough down the road to anticipate needing to slow or stop. The issue is when you are on a congested highway but have open areas where you’re going 75mph and then way up ahead there is very slow or stopped traffic and there is nobody really in front of you at the moment.

I always feel like if I did not start slowing myself, the car would simply ram into traffic ahead or at the very least required a VERY hard braking to avoid collision.

I like it but don’t t trust it. Granted, newer tech in newer cars but I’ll wait to upgrade until it is proven to be extremely reliable and can “see” better and further down the road.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider volunteerpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=volunteerpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.