Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 7 years ago

When I first saw the call for $1K deposits I immediately thought of JPOP. No preorders anymore.

I read a lot of automotive news, and there is a lot of talk that a high volume vehicle with low profit might just be the end of Tesla. This is especially true when the big car companies actually start competing. You can get a Bolt right now. Yes, it is not as styled, but it isn't a promise that it might be built in one, two, three years; take your choice.

#29 7 years ago

Sorry, I don't want to sound like a hater because I would love a Model S or X. However, the problem with the 3 is, it is the middle class electric vehicle, but Tesla will be at the end of there allotment of tax credits. Meaning, those that had money to be early adopters benefited from tax credits around $7,500 (depending on state), but that will only be good for the first 200,000 vehicles produced. By the time the 3 rolls out those credits will be gone.

#35 7 years ago

Enjoy velvet, you are right. I read last year on C&D you can find two year old Leaf for less than $8k. I looked it up and I had four choices with less than 23K miles. So, tempting, but I really need a family car. This is what would hold me back on a Tesla 3, though. I don't lease; I want to own. When the 3 three years after release is worth much less due to better technology, it is not attractive to me.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

The 35k price is after tax credit correct? They said that the tax credit for Teslas will be all gone before the model 3 ships, Each car manufacturer gets a certain number of tax credits, and the model s and x is using them all up. Not stating fact, just something I heard on CNBC. Anyone else here this?

From what I understand each manufacturer the government gives the tax break for the first 200,000 cars sold by that manufacturer. If you are in on the Model 3 only the first will still be able to get the credit. The early adopters benefit the most from the tax credit.

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I was referring to current body style , as that one will be up against the tesla model 3 for new sales .Either way I'm sure there is people that like the way they look , that is why I included "just my opinion " in my statement . Volt is not a Hybrid , it is full electric .The small gasoline engine is used for charging only ( having the gas engine to provide charging when needed is nice and a plus for the volt). I think the best looking hybrids are the ones that don't look like hybrids at all , for example ford fusion hybrid , toyota camry hybrid they look the same as the non hybrid versions of those cars . Again just my opininion , and I would not buy one of those either because the mpgs are not great enough increase to justify the price increase versus the non hybid versions. Lose of trunk space on those hybrid versions is also a minus for them .

I thought Car and Driver proved that wrong for the Volt. Under certain circumstances the gas motor will power the wheels. The Bolt is the competitor to the yet to be released Model 3.

1 week later
#239 6 years ago

Watching season 23 right now as I type and dreadful.

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Completely serious here, how many regular cars go 300k to 500k? I've driven my cars into the ground, and I know others that have too, and 250k seems to be about it.
Is it really realistic that people are complaining that a Tesla's battery won't work as well at 500k miles? Just seems like a crazy number.

Call it the part most prone to failure outside normal wear and tear if that makes you feel better.

I DD a Land Cruiser and people still get decent money on the used market in the 300K mile range. No, it's not a regular car though.

3 months later
#635 6 years ago

Just found out my BIL is in on one and is expecting it in 2018. He is an endodontist, so basically he has a machine for printing money. He said he likes the 3 because he wouldn't waste 100K on a daily driver car, but likes the idea of electric power. The man has an awesome boat, so I believe his priorities are straight.

#642 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I know 7-8 people who one the Tesla S/X and they all bought (mainly or in part because they got a fat rebate check) one is a polar bear lover but the other just bought because Tesla is selling at a discount compared to a S-Class.

Here's to polar bear love.

polar-bear-with-tire-2 (resized).jpgpolar-bear-with-tire-2 (resized).jpg

#663 6 years ago

Out of all the electric startups, Rimac is the one I'm excited the most about. The owner, Mate Rimac, reminds me of Christian Von Koenigsegg. The guy really sounds like he knows his stuff. Plus, they are funding the car be supplying elections to other companies, so the car is a bonus. Also, the interview with Mate and Richard Hammond, after Richard wrecked a Rimac while making The Grand Tour was amazing.

01-rimac-concept-s-geneva-1 (resized).jpg01-rimac-concept-s-geneva-1 (resized).jpg

#677 6 years ago

Sorry if someone else mentioned, but Volvo announced they are going all EV and hybrid by 2019. I'm not saying it will be a winning move for them, but it is major news. Probably better for them than over stressed turbocharged and supercharged 2.0 four cylinder ICE's they are putting in their 4,400 lb SUV.

#695 6 years ago

I read earlier today on Car & Driver that the details have been released the Model 3. Now the question is who is in on what model? Do you get the $35K base model with a 220 mile range or $45.2K for the long range model with 310 miles of range? Then do you add $5K for the premium package that gets heated and powered front seats, center console, some upgraded materials, and extra phone/USB (frankly stuff that should be included in the $45.2K model, IMO)? Do you pay $1K for a paint job that isn't black? Starting to sound like German pricing. Then do you add $5k for enhanced autopilot and another $3K for future plans of self driving?

Really, when you think about it, you can option up to over $60K, which sounds like a lot when you are starting with a car for $35K. However, keep in mind you can get a Focus that starts at $16.7K or one for $40.4K. The price range of trucks is even wider.

To me the most important upgrade may be the enhance autopilot and capability of future self driving. However, you are at the whim of development that may not occur until long after the car has seriously depreciated. Maybe get a base model to keep as cheap as possible and when the self driving tech comes to fruition upgrade to that model.

5 months later
#1057 6 years ago

Oops somehow my quote didn't work.

I believe this to be one hundred percent true. Autonomous doesn't care about propulsion mechanism and is what manufacturers are shooting for first.

I have to add, my brother in law had a Model 3 deposit he decided to get ride of. Instead he decided why wait and get the car he really wanted, which is a Model S. He had a highly optioned 3 and decided to get a 75 instead. The best part was no wait, and he claims the cost between the two wasn't far off. I can't wait to get to his house and get a test drive.

#1073 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Tesla's already got gigafactories cranking out batteries, a worldwide charging network, and a reputation for making truly desirable electric cars. i'm not sure how Ford expects to catch up with Tesla by starting 7 years later and spending less.
also i wonder how much of that $2 billion a year is going to be directed towards lobbying efforts to keep Tesla from selling cars in Michigan and other various states.

Ford doesn't need to worry as long as they don't develop electric cars. Tesla may have 7 years head start on electric cars, but Ford has over a hundred in building cars. Tesla had the biggest obstacle in developing a chassis and all the other car stuff, which is the hardest part of it all except marketing. Tesla's used an existing chassis to make their first car, and then had to develop the rest. You look at a car and the motor is impressive, but you have all other aspects like how to make a door hinge, weather striping, seats, dashboard, rain gutters, etc. that will last. Ford has a huge advantage in those areas and how to evolve the development of a car. All Ford needs is to continue their car knowledge and continue to adapt a powertrain. Plus they have production scale that is difficult for young car startups like Tesla.

Perhaps Ford will buy batteries from Tesla. I believe Ford will be making cars longer than Tesla and Tesla will survive as a electronic car component supplier.

With all that GM is way ahead of Ford, and if they don't F it up their efforts will pay off.

1 month later
#1255 6 years ago

All I have to say is I wish I could afford a Tesla, preferably the Model X for the seats, but any would do. Everyone I know that has one is 110% happy with their Tesla.

26 pages in, who has their Model 3 yet? If anyone that I can afford, it's that one.

1 week later
#1285 6 years ago

The Tesla driver got on it a little quicker, but still would have won. Anyway, I don't think you buy the Bolt for quickness, that's what the Model S is for.

1 week later
#1317 5 years ago

Anyone read the latest Car & Driver test? Tesla would not give a car to test, so a private citizen let his be tested. Everything was pretty positive except price, but the biggest problem was terrible fit and finish; like body panels not lining up. I hope Tesla can get their sh#t together because I want one someday.

2 weeks later
#1352 5 years ago

Cool, we expect full array of pictures.

#1383 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Don’t forget that you can install solar panels on your home. I’ve got 10kW of solar and will be adding more. Add a tesla power wall and you can even do it off grid.

I like Tesla, but I don't like is reading statements like this on this forum or others like Car&Driver. People act like adding solar panels to the roof of your house is like no big deal. From what I have read it would cost as much as another car.

1 month later
#1436 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I added 6.6kwh of solar before the car because I hate paying the power company. Cost was around $13,000, we then got a $2,500 check from the power company and a 30% tax rebate on their cost, making the effective install cost about $7,000.
Because there is a tree in the way that was supposed to be cut down but now isn't being cut down (grrrr, long story), our panels generate about $2 / day of electricity, making their payoff period approximately 10 years instead of the 6.5 that it originally looked like it would be.
Technically, the panels before rebate did cost more than the used electric car we bought, but it's not some crazy cost.
Oh, and I think it's worth pointing out... I don't believe either purchase will make a difference in pollution in any way. It's not like the local energy company is going to burn less coal or natural gas because of 15 kwh per day of generation I do, and it isn't like the gas company is shutting down stations because of me. I did it specifically for cost savings in the long term.
I tracked my Leaf weekly and just hit one year of ownership. Fuel cost savings over our previous car was just over $1250 including retail price of electricity. Total maintenance was just under $20 (two wiper fluid bottles and one windshield wiper). I can budget so much easier for this, and if the electric company wants to add more cost to our electric, I can just add more solar if I want.
I can't go dig up more gas. I'm stuck paying whatever the stations around here want and I don't have any belief they are trying to be nice to me.

Food for thought, but even if the electric utility paid me back, alas, my roof is totally shaded. I didn't even thing about that aspect. Tried a garden once, and it wouldn't produce because of all the shode. Soar panels would be the same.

3 weeks later
#1552 5 years ago

I saw my first one (Model 3) on Lindbergh in Frontenac two days ago. It looked really good. I was surprised how wide the rear hips were; it surprised my how much style it had considering needing to make a small car have room on the inside.

2 weeks later
#1596 5 years ago

I drove my BIL's 75d this weekend for the first time. While it certainly isn't the quickest Model S, all I have to say is Woooooow! The 30-50 is unbelievable. I had to keep asking by 6yr old riding back if he was okay because the acceleration pushes you back that much. Autopilot was a bit unnerving for the first time and was almost more work, but I'm sure once you start to trust it, it makes commutes better.

#1625 5 years ago

I mentioned earlier that I got to drive my BIL's Model S. A story he told me gives me more faith in Tesla than I had before. One morning he went to start the S and the thing went into full possession mode. Seriously, no "The power of Christ compels you." would get it back to normal. The blinkers were going off, the windows opening and closing, the horn honking, you name it. He calls Tesla and tells the tech what is happening and they aren't really believing him until they connect to the car and see what was going on.

They told him to turn it off and they'll send a tow tuck. He lives 45 minutes from the Tesla repair center. It took three days to fix and when Tesla called him back the person was trying to skirt around an issue. He didn't really want to say what happened, but then finally whispered to my BIL that he may have a rodent problem. Turns out a rodent chewed through one or more of the major wires.

My BIL looked around and started to see the evidence of a rodent and noticed the little signs, like droppings, etc. He goes to the hardware store to get traps and catches the Mofo. Turns out it was a big pack-rat. My BIL lives in a new subdivision nowhere near the woods or anything, but I suppose you still get these guys. In fact, the rodent had a mouse trap stuck to his foot and was still walking around with it before finally caught. A shovel to the head took care of that rat.

A Tesla employee drove the car back to my BIL and took an Uber back. There was no charge for the entire fix.

Turns out a month before the wife's SUV (not a Tesla) had an A/C hose chewed through and was replaced by warranty. The techs never mentioned it was possibly done by a rodent.

#1686 5 years ago

I've been watching Rich Builds and his channel is funny as shit. He reminds me of those here that bring back pins from death and shoot fire and vinegar.

#1752 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

As I understand it Toyota and Honda are using a soy-based polymer for electrical cable covers that are attractive to rodents. This fact has kept me from purchasing a new van as I live in a rural area with a lot of field mice. Perhaps Tesla uses this same cabling?

Most car manufacturers use the soy polymer with the spin that it was done to go "green", but in reality, it's cheaper.

#1773 5 years ago

Pleeeeeeease, don't tell me Tesla hired the designer from Lexus. That is one ugly car. Give me curves, not creases.

#1775 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

me too.. I mean circuit boards can usually be repaired (so long as components are available) even if traces have to be blasted to prevent further corossion (or jumpered). I didn't look closely but I would imagine the boards are surface mount (which makes repair far harder). That electric motor though, that definitely had some red water coming out. Unless you want to grind the rotor and re-wire the stator, I don't see how that's going to get repaired. Who knows, maybe he'll run into someone else like him that has non-flooded boards and motor and is either willing to sell it, or trade it for parts that he has.

Delores required Rich to change every wire, nut, and bolt because of the salt water corrosion. I would take fresh water (not salt) any day and clean what can be cleaned. He's still going to have to transfer most parts from the donor car over to the new flood car, but I believe the new flood car is a better starting point other than the price he paid for it.

#1798 5 years ago

Okay all, it's not just here, but I see it on other car forums I read, like Car & Driver. Usually, you read back and forth that one car is better than another and one is more reliable than another. However, only with Tesla people talk about the company itself (GM bailouts aside) and argue over stock prices, money spent vs. income, etc. instead of the car. Why is that?

Why do people focus so much on the financials of Tesla when talking about cars and not talking about the cars themselves? Remember all, this is an American company, so why would anyone of us Americans be rooting for their failure? Yes, that is what many people come across as portraying. There are definitely flaws in the cars themselves that bring interesting conversation instead.

1 month later
#2044 5 years ago

Okay, I'm 20 minutes into the Joe Rogan - Elon Musk interview and I won't be able to sleep tonight. I have a new respect for Elon; I have never heard him talk like this before, only doing Steve Jobs like reveals. This quote in Sarah Connor like tones is disturbing me:

"I tried to convince people to slow down, slow down A.I., to regulate A.I,” Musk said. “This was futile. I tried for years. Nobody listened.”

This is the first 20 minutes, what will the next 2 hrs bring me?

>>>>>>>

Just heard this one:

“If you assume any rate of improvement at all, then games will be indistinguishable from reality, or civilization will end. One of those two things will occur. Therefore, we are most likely in a simulation, because we exist.”

#2050 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

If you really don't want to sleep tonight, just watch some boston dynamics videos and realize they have completely autonomous (without tethering) robotic dogs and humanoids.
Interesting thing about boston dynamics, 10 years ago they started with gas engines for the power, now they are completely silent electric motor driven.

Oh, I've seen those. In the beginning of the Joe Rogan interview they talk about this company. I don't have the exact quote, but Joe said something like what if they can move so fast you can't see, and Elan says it is possible now. That lead to the don't kick a robot quote.

1 month later
#2239 5 years ago

I watched that a couple hours ago, and I though it was interesting. Frankly, the worst report was the structure uses too many pieces. I also bet the company that broke down the car is looking for business to show Tesla how to design their cars to be able to be manufactured cheaper. I bet Tesla said bug off, so hence the story. It's interesting though to hear about the motor. It bugs me they show the Model S front end, but the story was about the 3.

#2241 5 years ago

Hey pezpunk, congrats on the version 9 update. My BIL with the S was in town this weekend and was telling how all the cameras his car came with work now. It's pretty cool Tesla thought ahead to put those in even though they didn't have code for them yet. Most cars you would have to buy the next model to get the update.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=ryanstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.