Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1490 5 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

I don’t think you are realizing what is going on here.
I’m sure you are aware that Elon had been under extreme pressure to hit the production targets that he has forecast in the last several conference calls and earnings reports. Now, normally, setbacks wouldn’t be such a big deal if there were light at the end of the tunnel. But we are looking at a company that has been burning through roughly $16 million a day, and is running out of - if not RAN out of - options to raise additional capital.
Elon promised a state of the art, fully automated facility that was so advanced, the average person could not even fathom the levels of complexity and advancement. We all know of the myriad of unforeseen problems that the line ran into. Furthermore, attempts at stationing workers on the line were mostly a failure since the idle robotic equipment did not allow the space needed. So the primary line is functioning, but barely, albeit at a trickle.
The news I was waiting to see was how long it would take to get the primary line functioning as it was originally intended. I assumed that this was something line software issues etc. Elon’s earnings calls early this year even made it sound like this was another glitch that would be overcome shortly, and the line would be cranking out cars. But a mere couple of months later, Elon made a stunning announcement that they had ripped the entire parts conveyance system out of the factory. As of today, there has been no announcement as to a Plan B to re-tool the facility.
So Elon announced this “second assembly line” as a means to not only to hit the production targets, but more importantly, stop the (cash flow) bleeding. So this second assembly line has been under a microscope by virtually every institutional investment firm to car enthusiasts.
The line only got its permit a couple of weeks ago. Right away, all of the aforementioned parties were asking questions on how many cars the line was producing, and what the production targets were. Not only were no numbers offered, but the company refused to even confirm whether or not the line was operational. To make sure nobody saw what was going on at the tent, Elon had semi trailers ring part of the facility to block the view. Looking at the video where the drone rises above the trailers, the answer is pretty clear - virtually nothing.
There are also some other very alarming takeaways from the video. The line is clearly not completed. Components and parts kits are scattered around the outside of the facility. No cars are rolling off. There are no robots - assembly is all manual. Observers (like the drone operator) that have been watching the tent facility have reported that the frames are being forklifted from way over at the paint facility, and manually loaded onto the conveyor belt.
Obviously, these reports and observations have been getting back to investors and analysts that everything was not on the up and up with this new facility. So they started asking questions. Just days ago Elon told everyone that the new assembly line was not only functioning (not true) and that the quality of the cars coming off the line had “slightly higher quality” than the primary line.
Here is a brief summary of what I see:
The company is still hemorrhaging money, and is running out of options for raising additional capital. Getting Model 3 production up to target levels was critical to mitigating cash flow losses. The second assembly line is clearly not functional, and Elon is obviously lying about it. Furthermore, even IF the second assembly line becomes operational, it will be crawling along using manual assembly.
Tesla is in big, big trouble.

I have no stake in Tesla...Dallied with purchasing a Model S a year ago, but decided to go elsewhere due to some of these very concerns. I didn't read any hyperbole, wild conjectures, falsehoods, etc, yet 3 downvotes?? Seemed a very plausible post to me.

#1496 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Well, all I know is they are making around 5,000 cars per week now, and have an enormous backlog of orders they’re rapidly fulfilling. All with an advertising budget of $0. But sure. They’re in deep trouble. Hahaha.
By the way, it’s by far the best car I’ve ever driven, and it’s not a close competition. Blows away every car I’ve owned, which include Buicks, Lincolns, Olds, 3 Cadillacs, a couple Chryslers, and a Challenger SRT (I tend to buy American, sue me).
2 years in, this Tesla has been in the shop for zero days, spent zero minutes at gas stations, and I’ve spent negligible dollars on fuel. Of course it’s at another level performance-wise, but it’s also been the most pleasant long family trip car my family has ever owned as well. Done multiple 8+ hour drives, and it’s great. Super easy to drive. Insane safety and convenience features. Fits all the gear me, my wife, and two kids need for 2 week vacations, with plenty of room leftover.
Also no oil changes, no radiator flushes, no brake pad replacing, no transmission issues (it’s a one-speed limited at 155mph), no spark plugs, no PCV valve, no vacuum system. Just a battery and a couple of motors. Mechanically, it’s simple. Warranty is 8 years, unlimited miles though, if either of those parts do fail.
And you can blow the doors off a Lamborghini at a stoplight when that super-important need arises, as well.
The Model S is supercar acceleration with the fuel cost of a bicycle and storage capacity of a station wagon. I couldn’t be happier.

I don't think anyone's debating that the Model S is a superb car. I believe that as well and came close to buying one. But I have serious reservations about the Model 3 and the health of the company in general. It was a consideration in me not pursuing a model S in the end. You're a fan of Tesla and have a personal stake in the company. That's fine. I'm a fan of Tesla too and hope they ultimately succeed. But there are some ominous signs right now that's it's struggling and that can't be denied. You can continue to down vote every post that doesn't sing the praises of Tesla. Go ahead and down vote this one. But the fact remains that Tesla is bleeding money, that they are having manufacturing issues and that the tax credits will be expiring.

#1504 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

More random people say random things, with no evidence of any kind. Any employee stupid enough to say something like this publicly clearly is not actually privy to the information. I have insider information at the company I work for and when you have it they sit you down and explain to you, leaking this type of information will get you fired. It can also land you in prison for insider trading and other financial crimes. So I put zero faith in anything said to the media from an "employee".
I have no knowledge if they are actually making the 5K number or not. I do know so long as production continues to rise it's not really a big deal if they miss it. Tesla will not just self implode and file bankruptcy if they are only making in the 4K range. Anyone that knows anything about the company is fully aware that the miss all the time.

Noone is suggesting the company will implode....It's an American car manufacturer. I for one hope they succeed. Reuter's is ranked in the top 5 for reliable news sources. Three employees, not one were interviewed. I doubt Reuter's would fabricate employees. And people talk all the time off the record under anonymity. All that said, your last statement speaks volumes. How long will investors continue to accept misses all the time? That's the only question here.

#1508 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

P.S. This thread is literally titled "Who is in on the Tesla model 3?" yet all it is, is every negative internet story posted so people can troll Tesla. One negative poster actually complained that this thread is like a fan club. It is a fan club, no pin owners thread is trolled like this.

Wait...what? When things go south the tenor of owner threads always change....Predator, Alien, Magic Girl, Dutch pinball...In fact many were chastised in those threads for NOT speaking up earlier when warning signs of impending trouble began to show themselves.
But I hear you. You don't want dissenting opinions in this thread. I can understand its bothersome to those that have invested in Tesla. I'm out. For your sake and for Tesla's sake I sincerely hope they succeed. I'd like to own one some day.

#1529 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Good move! Should hit $500.00 shortly.

Or $300.00

#1544 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Oil is destroying our country and our planet. For the moment, EVs are our best plan forward. I believe it's very appropriate that we've used tax dollars to accelerate innovation and foster adoption of EVs. I don't understand why we continue to provide incentives and tax rebates to the oil industry. I suspect when EVs go over 50% marketshare that those subsidies will finally be killed.

Something has to produce all the electricity for those charging stations. Right now, in the US, nearly 70% of energy production comes from oil and coal. To me, EV vehicles is putting the cart before the horse. We need to build alternative power before increasing the demand on our already taxed out power grid. If Tesla wants to really exceed, forget the cars, and focus on alternative energy.

3 weeks later
#1599 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Just wait for July's sales numbers! Bye Bye Bears!

You seem knowledgeable of Tesla's inner workings and sales plan. Can you explain why wait times for Model 3s have dropped from 1.5 years just a few months ago to 1 month now? Either Tesla is making a hell of a lot of 3s or a hell of a lot of people have dropped out. I admit I don't know anything about the reserve deposit model so is this new shortened delivery a product of that?

#1602 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

It’s a combination of things. This has been covered at least twice before in this thread (sigh).
1) Many people are still waiting on the 35k version. This does not mean there is not demand for the premium version. Many people mistakenly conflate these two things.
2) Tesla’s reservation system isn’t like waiting in line for the bank. If you want a more expensive version, you jump ahead of everyone else in the line who wants a less expensive version. It’s always been that way. I got my P85 months before people who put a reservation in for a less expensive 60.
3) Model 3 is currently outselling everything remotely similar including the gas-powered BMW 3 series in the USA. That is not an indication of reduced demand. Model S also continues to out-sell all other cars in the same price range. I don’t know the figures for the Model X vs. competition, only that they sell almost exactly as many Model X as Model S.
This is not a reduction in demand.

Sorry, I try to keep abreast of this thread as a Tesla may be in my future, but I haven't read every post in 35 pages.

I'm glad to see that Model 3 sales are exceeding BMW 3 series. My only comment there, is the 3 series has been around forever, and the Model 3 is of course a new exciting brand and they are filling orders off the wait list. Once that list is exhausted, will the sales sustain? I have my doubts.

#1637 5 years ago

Well one thing can be said....Tesla is certainly dominating the news cycles nowadays. Another article in this mornings usa today predicting a 30% drop in share prices by this time next year. I don't wish that on any American based manufacturer.

As a side note, got to see a model X at our local car club this weekend. Really an impressive vehicle. We've been considering a Maserati Levante, but the X has now peaked our interest. But the doubt surrounding Tesla has us concerned about long term viability.

#1702 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Basically every car gets smoked by a Tesla, the only thing that stands a chance is very limited production super cars. Everything else is left in the dust.

Hyperbole much? Most Tesla's are quite pedestrian by today's standards. Yes the ludicrous models are insanely fast, but the rest have 5 sec 0-60s and 13s 1/4S which is far from super cars today. My euro sedan does 3.6s and 11s

I'd love to have a ludicrous car for drag duty...but it's my understanding after just a few passes it goes into limp mode....and forget about tracking it...same deal.

#1707 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

mine does 0-60 in about 2.4 seconds. you can do as many drag passes as you want, it's unlikely to ever go into limp mode at a drag strip unless you are doing them literally non-stop without any breaks between, which is impossible unless you are the only person at the drag strip. each quarter mile passes only use about 1.5% of the battery. so unless you're doing several dozen passes, it's a non-issue.
if you try to do laps at a track, yes, it will go into reduced power mode. it really was designed to be a family sedan, not a track car. the idea to make it the quickest sedan ever only came after they realized the crazy potential of the thing.
neither of those apply to my usage of the car, though. i keep it in Ludicrous mode all the time. i don't drive like a maniac, but if some joker in a Hellcat starts revving his engine at me, i can put him in my rear view mirror before his car is even done shifting into the correct gear. on ramps and stoplights are always fun.

Cool....I'm more of a straight line racer myself although I've been toying with the idea of doing an HPDE course or autocross.

So is it a function of battery drain or duty cycle...I would have thought hard charges would put more of a drain on the battery vs the occasional burst out of track corners.

#1708 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

So that Euro family Sedan is the low end model right? Nothing I said is not a fact, not hyperbole at all. Being the post after that video is pretty funny. Even if we compare the average time of their line ups what other company is in the class of Tesla?

It's half the price of a ludicrous P100D or P90D. It's not a super car which was your definition of exceeding a Tesla's performance. And you didn't clarify the fastest Tesla which at over $120k could be considered a super car in of itself. So, yeah, I'd say a bit of hyperbole.

As for comparing the average line up of Tesla against all other manufs, sure I'll concede that. But all other manufacturers have a more diverse line up meeting many different needs. Not an apples to apples comparison. Especially considering the least inexpensive tesla currently is how much?

#1714 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

$35k (it was 28.5k before the tax rebate expired). The same money gets you a nissan leaf or a chevy bolt, both which don't have the same battery range or speed, or the charging speed. Currently there's really no way for ANY manufacturer to build an electric car with a decent range for less than $35k, and it's not the motor or the technology, it comes down to the price of lithium-ion cells. Tesla has the best chance at maximizing cost reduction by optimizing the cell size eliminating the middle man by producing it themselves. Every car manufacturer really needs to have at least one electric car in their lineup because the day a battery breakthrough happens (increasing capacity or reducing cost, or both), electric is going to be VERY competitive with ICE.

I said current Teslas...to my knowledge no 35k model 3s have been built or delivered. I agree that if Tesla is able to mass produce 35k Tesla's for the mass market it could be a game changer.

#1715 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

An in-depth analysis I recently read (or maybe it was anti-Tesla propaganda) proposed that one of the major Manufacturers will simply mainstream and mass produce a car based on Tesla and kill Tesla in the Market.
The Tucker and Delorean come to mind as ahead of their time upstarts destroyed by the big three. I would not feel comfortable holding the stock long term.

Tucker is a good example but the Delorean was a terrible car. Way under powered, crappy build quality by under trained staff in Ireland, and was Mish mashed together after dumping the rotary engine for a Peugeot 130hp v6.

#1718 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You do realize your car can’t beat a Tesla. I noticed you not providing any details of this car your driving. No one thinks the LR 3 is blowing the doors off cars in the 1/4.

My car will beat more teslas than not, as most tesla models not named ludicrous are slower than 4 sec 0-60. So your comment once again would be incorrect. And the car I drive is no secret....posted all in the car club thread. It's a 2017 Alfa Quadrifoglio. Paid 58k. 0-60 in 3.6 or 3.8 depending on which publication you believe. 4 door sedan stock. I could put a chip mod in it and gain another 100hp and probably get closer to 3 secs, but it's my daily and don't feel like voiding the warranty

You seem personally upset that there are options besides Tesla. I'm a fan of the car, a little leary of the company, but can certainly appreciate the engineering of the model s and x. Jury still out on the 3 but I hope it succeeds. And I would love to own an S or X some day. The 3 isn't as impressive to me.

#1723 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Seems in reality it does 4.0 and only pulls 12s in the 1/4 last time I checked a 12 is no 10.8. A Tesla will blow the doors off your Ferrari inspired Alpha Romeo, maybe you should line it up against Rich Rebuilds P Model S that will cost half what you paid? I love that you using the what I paid amount. You keep saying I'm talking hyperbole but what have I said that isn't true? You just keep moving the goal post. No one thought I was talking about a Model 3 but I doubt your car could even beat a performance 3.

No, in reality if you'd bother to visit the alfa forums where people are posting time slips is sub 4 and sub 12. You again fail to acknowledge that at no time did I suggest my car would beat a 10.8 sec ludicrous model S. Talk about moving the goal posts. This is exactly why Tesla gets a bad rap sometimes. It has fans like you that can't stand it when someone presents real facts that Tesla isn't always the best. Go to car times dot com and see for your self how many teslas are slower than 4 secs or 12 sec 1/4. But in the end it doesnt matter. You enjoy your car, I'll enjoy mine. At least I can acknowledge I appreciate the Tesla and would actually purchase one. You're so blinded by fan loyalty, if it's not Tesla it's nothing for you it seems. I've de railed this thread enough with this line of debate. I'm off to enjoy my motor trend car of the year

#1724 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I think it’s pretty well-established that a supercar means something in the $300k or higher range. So no, not really a hyperbole.
I’m certain there are cars that can beat my P85 over a quarter mile. Maybe even yours, although unless you tune your car and keep it in top condition it is very unlikely you will match the mfg’s specs with a brand new engine.
None of that matters. I smoke everybody off the line at a stoplight, when I need to pass somebody, when I need to merge... and that’s all I care about. I’m not risking jail time just to street race a quarter mile with some joker.

Exactly...thank you. I don't know how we got into this swinging d### line of conversation, as I'm a fan of the ludicrous model S and would own one given the right circumstances. I don't street race either...too old and too much to lose. And I appreciate all manner of cars, and have been a fan of Telsa the car. I'm not as much a fan of Musk and company currently, but that could change depending on the continued success of the 3. Anyway as I just posted I'm out of this line of conversation....back to debating the company and not the car.

#1727 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

No one thought I was saying every single Tesla on the road would beat every car on the road. All your doing is whataboutism. I made one comment that is true, someone else posted video evidence showing it to be true. You ego got bruised and you started the whole but my car, you give Tesla fans a bad name. You did exactly what another poster commented, full man baby because an EV is faster. The car you drive should not be a support system for your ego.
P.S. You started the whole swinging dick thing. I made a commented directed at no one.

Tesla is a brand not a model. Dodge smokes every car...oh I meant Dodge Demon but you knew what I meant. Really done now as there's no point arguing such ridiculousness.

#1732 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

The real value to owning a Tesla isn’t 0-60 or quarter mile times; that’s just frosting. The real value is not polluting our environment and making real progress against global warming. I do nothing and the solar panels on my house charge my car. I wake up every day to a full “tank”. The fact that it’s a pleasure to drive, and more fun than most ICE cars is a bonus, and proves you don’t have to sacrifice to curb your impact on our world.
Full disclosure: I’ve owned several Porsche, Audi, and BMWs in the past. I’m a car snob, but not a super gear head. All my cars are now electric. I’m long on TSLA.

That's commendable that your carbon foot print is minimal due to being on solar to charge your car. Have any real studies been done that show what the effect of a sudden shift to EV for transportation would do to the conventional power grid which is mostly supplied by coal, gas and oil in the US. Were the grid on nuclear, wind or solar then certainly EV would reduce dependence on oil and polution. But if we are using more electricity to charge vehicles that's sourced from fossil fuels what's the net benefit? Just wondering as our grids are already reaching critical saturation as I understand it.

#1735 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Dude you came in to troll and you just keep digging deeper. Just move on..

You would be incorrect again. Not a troll. I first started talking about buying a Model S on Pinside 2 years ago. Even met a local pinsider that had one and was able to test drive. They are very impressive. My comment about pedestrian was in regards to speed. There are many non super cars today that eclipse the speed of STANDARD Teslas...I don't know why you continue to gloss over that fact. I enjoy an intelligent debate but you don't offer that. I've disagreed with Pez at times but I respect his opinions as they are facts. You're clouded with emotional attachment, presumably because you own a Tesla. That's fine and no more use in arguing. If you wish to debate, feel free to PM me.

#1736 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

There have been many studies done. The net benefit is massively in our favor.
When, not if, we shift massively to EV’s, there will have to be improvements made in our grid. There’s no way around that. I feel confident we can meet the challenge given the profits our electrical monopolies enjoy and the fact that the upgrades would set themselves up for further profits.
Given the fact that solar and wind are now the cheapest forms of power by far, any new capacity coming online is certain to be greener than most of what we have. In my state we’re well over 50% renewable and rising. All my power is renewable, but this isn’t the norm yet.
A lot of the impact can be mitigated by shifting charging to off peak times. All Teslas, and many other EV’s (the VW e-Golf for sure) can be set to charge only during certain hours.
By the way, it’s not well-known, but managing off-peak electrical grid load is a serious problem, and off-peak EV charging would actually help.
As costs continue to topple for solar + battery in-home installations this will also help.

That's interesting, thanks. I had no idea that Oregon was that far into alternative energy conversion. Impressive. I can see how west coast cities with the wind and sun availability as well as open lands to build solar and wind farms are oit pacing us on the east. I just wonder how the more densely populated areas in the mid and north east will be able to make those transitions.

#1741 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Ok, wait a sec. if we’re saying that a super car is worth $300k or more. Then you could use the same statement in Tesla’s defense. Let me try.
There are many non super car tesla’s that eclipse the speed of STANDARD (insert any auto mfgr.) ...I don't know why you continue to gloss over that fact.
I have to admit some of your arguments are kinda thin.

I don't gloss over that fact that's the difference...I didnt make the statement that "Tesla blows away everything not a supercar". I fully acknowledge that Tesla as a brand is performance inclined. My only point is that a 5 sec/13 sec car nowadays is not in rarefied air anymore. 10 years ago, perhaps. But nearly every car manufacturer has a model under 70k that exceeds or matches the performance of a standard tesla. It's not a knock against Tesla...it's just a sign of the times. Even Kia with the new stinger is 4.4 sec.

#1742 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The actual panels and wind turbines are cheap these days... Getting those devices to work with the power grid (converting, managing the power, conditioning it, storing it) are still challenging and expensive. A lot of the electrical companies (at least from conversations I've had with someone that lives in california) make it very difficult to not only setup a solar system, but they limit how much you can sell back (and they also screw you when they DO buy electricity from you).
I've been following "mechanical energy" storage on youtube. Bill gates is a big believer in it. Basically instead of using batteries (which are expensive and have a limited lifespan), you say use that energy to run a low gear motor that lifts a heavy weight on a pulley (which creates potential energy). As you need energy, you simply run the system in reverse.

I've been looking at mechanical energy storage and generation too...very innovative stuff. Alwas thought something could be done with Nitinol (Nickel Titanium). Also, certainly something could be done to harness the biggest source of mechanical energy...the earth's rotation.

#1744 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Man you just keep trying this same silly argument in the absence of reality. What Tesla has a 5 second 0-60? Is a single model actually that slow? My RWD LR 3 is faster than that. You can only post false information so many times. You literally tried the whole EVs are bad for the environment because of electricity production, that little gem is nonsense. It’s silly argument number one in the troll handbook. Everyone is fully aware I was referring to performance models. You just keep pretending otherwise.

By my count 8 of the 17 listed?

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/tesla-0-60-mph-times/

I didn't say EVS were bad for the environment? I asked how the power grid was going to handle it. You guys are way too sensitive.

#1748 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

It’s a popular misconception that solar won’t work outside of California. It’s just not true:
https://www.energy.gov/maps/solar-energy-potential
From that map, the east coast gets just as much sun as the west coast. More than where I live in fact!
The real gains come from household rooftop solar in urban areas IMO. Wind turbines have very small footprints and don’t require large amounts of space.
As far as wind, your claim is that there’s more wind on the west coast??
And it’s safe to call it just ‘energy’ now. Alternative is kind of an 80’s term.

Lol...no not more wind, although there is a lot of hot air sometimes. No, in regards to wind, more space is available for large wind farms.

#1751 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Funny. I’m pretty confident there’s an equal amount of hot air from the east coast.
They’ve got plenty of wind power in Europe, and they have vastly less space than on the east coast.

Interstingly enough you made me curious, and evidently there is more wind or at least wind potential for energy distributed in the US.

https://rredc.nrel.gov/wind/pubs/atlas/maps/chap2/2-06m.html

#1759 5 years ago

I work in the roofing industry, automating most manufacturing plants in North America. The Tesla tiles look very impressive. They require certified installers, so finding an installer may be difficult. Using the estimator, it's over 50K to do my roof, plus a 7K battery. Offset by whatever tax credits are still available, payoff would be close to 30 years. Yikes. I've wanted solar for our home for awhile, but just can't bite off on that expense. If the payoff were closer to 10 years, then it would be more attractive.

Other manufacturers are dipping their feet in with solar shingles...CertainTeed has been in development for several years (I know the product manager), and now have a viable product. They're probably the largest, backed by worldwide conglomerate Saint-Gobain. Others have come and gone, so it's still a product in its infancy. Maybe the popularity of Tesla can spur growth forward.

#1770 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I have to say . . .
I have the dual battery standard motor model 3. I find that I'm having a hard time NOT snap-accelerating to squirt into openings between cars or passing just for the fun of it, and am turning into a bit of a dick on the roads. I'm working on my self control right now . . .
I can't imagine what a douchebag I'd be if I had the M3 dual motor performance model. Glad I bought mine before these were available.

Even the standard 3 seems to have impressive acceleration...I think Tesla published 5.0 0-60 but I'm reading reports from real world users in the 4.5 range. Have to appreciate a company under exaggerating performance.

#1782 5 years ago

Ok, business experts and Tesla supporters....is this good, bad, crazy, or brilliant? I'm shocked, but really don't know what to think. Any precedent for a large company to do this?

Edit: Answer my own question....Dell computer, Panera Bread, Burger King and Heinz.

#1788 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Elon is tired of the Shorts. What better way than squeeze them for a couple of billion then say your goodbyes by going private. It will be structured some what like Spacex where the current shareholders can stay on board for the long ride or sell out at $420.00 per share.

When you're a private share holder, what determines value of your shares going forward? Is it strictly P/E?

#1789 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm just dumbfounded that the EPA is actively working against the environment and the oil barons of the middle east are trying to diversify and go green.

Strange times indeed....all comes down to money.

#1802 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

ARE they still losing money? (and that much?). I thought they were approaching cash positive. Let's assume next quarter they are, is any car company worth 61 billion? Sure, I mean volkswagen is worth 75 billion, toyota is worth 236 billion. Surely Tesla has more potential value than Volkswagen. You have to wonder though, is he just switching from being owned by stockholders, to being owned by private investors? Or do you think it's like a shark deal where he gets a loan by giving up a small percentage of the company, and he can slowly pay that loan back as the company ramps up?

I've read estimates of 70 billion is necessary to go private. Musk says in his email he's not planning to own more than the 20% he owns now, so that still leaves about 56 billion to finance. If all shareholders stay put, do the public shares convert to private shares and he needs no money? So if 20% of share holders stay, then is the buyout capital reduced by that 20%. The Saudis now own 5% and it's rumored that's the source if his backing. So reduce the capital needed by another 5%. Might not be as much needed, but I have no idea how public to private conversion works so that's just speculation on my part. If it's true that the Saudis are going to be the financiers, how is that structured? Do they become majority owner? Are they converting the public shares into their own private shares, or into private shares that are distributed a different way? Dell similarly converted to a private company but I believe that was through a small investment group. I don't think current share holders were given the option to hold shares in the private company. Right or wrong, certainly a bold announcement....will be interesting how it plays out. I hope Tesla doesn't fail...it's an American company. But I'm almost starting to believe a CEO change is needed. Somebody to bring some stability to the company.

#1806 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Current shareholders receive a check for their shares when they tender them. If they do not properly fill out the required transmittal form(s), they get nothing and the shares stop trading. The redemption value is fixed ( maybe the tweeted value of $420.00) so eventually, when tendered, an individual shareholder gets $420.00/share. No adjustment for inflation nor any dividend payments. Taxes are due on the gains (vs. Offset) for the tax year the gain was earned.

That's if they tender them....but per the tweets Musk hopes everyone remains a shareholder...so let's say 100% of all shareholders want to convert their holding to a private share. How does that work? Is the billions of financial funding still required or is it just a paper swap? That's what I'm not understanding. Sorry in advance if that is an idiotic question.

#1821 5 years ago

Something I read on another forum that I had not considered. Tesla has had great support from buyers and investors alike due in part to "us against big oil". If the privatization goes through with the biggest oil player around, does that diminish some of the mystique of Tesla?

#1836 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I love Tesla, Elon, and most of all my Model 3. But, if he would just shut the fuck up, the cars speak for themselves. All this success in spite of all the negatives, by the time production ramps, the BS will die down.
He is thinking WAY too hard about this.

I'm a fan of the car....especially the Model S and X. But I'm of the opinion, that Tesla the company, would be better under different leadership. It needed Musk, his eccentricities and maverick attitude to get off the ground. But it's now entering mainstream with the Model 3, and needs to be run by someone not so narcissistic. Put Musk in charge of development and future technologies, but get him out of the face of the company. IMHO.

#1840 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

It's funny, you're suggesting what Apple did to Jobs back in the day. They threw Jobs out and Apple tanked. Until Jobs came back.
Like it or not, Tesla and Musk are inseparable. But I agree that he should put the Twitter down.

You might want to read Steve Jobs's book. He readily admits he was a poor businessman, and being fired from Apple actually helped him realize how to successfully run the company, when the second chance arose.

From his commencement speech to Standford:

"I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter into one of the most creative periods of my life," he said.

"I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been fired from Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love."

I'm not even suggesting that Musk be fired. I'm suggesting just as Job's said, put him where he does best...innovation. Unburden him from the daily grind. Let someone more astute in business be the face of the day to day operations.

#1846 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

If you put a 'stable' force at the helm the company will tank. Have a look at how that worked for Yahoo.
Disrupting companies like Tesla need to be run by disruptors, cowboys, mavericks, whatever moniker you want to use.
It's ludicrous to think the company needs stability. They may have turned the corner on profitability, but they have many battles ahead. He needs to be in there shaking it up and challenging assumptions.
To think otherwise is foolish.
I think taking the Saudi's money is a good idea as long as they don't have management or control.

I can see your point, and if I agreed with that model, then I do believe that privatization would be better for suited for Musk and his management style. My concern, especially with the Saudis, is they're not going to fork over 40 billion dollars and not inject some control. It might not be directly as sitting on the board or assuming management control, but their influence will be felt. I've been involved in VC funding myself, albeit on a much much smaller scale. And I've seen first hand those that say take my money no strings, are the first to pull out those strings later. Whether it's as innocuous as comping free services, or letting some legality slide, or putting the worthless nephew to work, the piper always comes calling. I would say Tesla needs to tread very carefully and consider who they're making bed with. I would be much more positive if it were Google or apple forming some synergistic partnership. But a foreign nations that's somewhat been subversive in their US relations...no thanks.

#1850 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Regarding Saudi Arabia, their leadership has been nothing but a staunch ally of the United States. I disagree strongly with their human rights record, and on a great many other things. The only subversion I'm aware of from the Saudi government is in relation to support of a certain campaign in 2016. Were you referring to that or something else?

Saudi Arabia plays both sides of the coin, and has for a long time. They hold us in their pocket with cheap oil, and we do their beck and call against their regional enemies of Syria and Iran. They fund terror groups and as you mentioned, their women, religious and minority rights are abysmal. It's no surprise that 911 consisted of a majority of Saudi Nationals.

Decent article as to why SA isn't a staunch ally: https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2016/01/04/saudi-arabia-a-dangerous-ally/saudi-arabia-is-a-burden-not-a-friend-to-the-us

Saudi is rich beyond reason. You have to consider, what is their end game with a majority Tesla acquisition? Is it strictly a hedge against diminishing oil reserves? That on the surface seems reasonable, but I'd be wary of ulterior motives.

#1854 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Here’s something to shock the nay sayers. Tesla isn’t the only electric car beating the all mighty hellcat on the strip.

LOL...I hope you're just trolling. That "prius" has a gasoline hellcat engine in it. It's not electric.

#1866 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's just crazy that, there are so many people who hate this car, most of these people couldn't have possibly driven one let alone been in one.
This car isn't for everyone, no one car is, but I don't know a single person who has driven one and called it "bad." Not even some of the harshest car reviewers out there, even the tough ones give the car generally high scores.
I'm immediately skeptical of anyone who "hates" this car.

I don't recall anyone really hating on the cars in this thread. I love the Model S and X. I haven't driven a 3 yet to from an opinion. Most of the discord, wouldn't call it hate, is discussing the business, not the car. Tesla dropped another 8% today...I don't want to see a US compay fail. But I believe Tesla is going to get worse before it gets better.

#1870 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

It's really sad that we can't have a rational discourse anymore in society. People are too proud to say "Yup, I was wrong" when confronted with facts. You get called names for defending actual verifiable facts.

Agreed....I've been called a troll several times in this thread by Tesla supporters, so it does go both ways. I'll be the first to admit I'm ignorant on some issues. I learned from you in fact about how far Oregon has advanced alternative energy. I was not aware prior to this thread. I enjoy a healthy debate because I tend to learn more...it forces me to do my own research on topics I'd otherwise take at face value.

1 week later
#1947 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

There is some information available on this and you would be hard pressed to find a car on the market that cost less than a Tesla in this period. If you compare Tesla to other manufacturers they are the market leader in additional costs. The issue currently is the time it takes to get the car fixed. Many of the issues the out of warranty owner is having were notorious in the early runs but are not longer an issue. Things like the door handles were improved in the later production. The kind of issues he is having a pretty common with all car companies. Own any car for any length of time and you will know the things that habitually fail.

The issues are common, but the difference is I can go to Autozone and pick up nearly every part needed to repair a late model auto, and most every part for any vehicle 20 years old.

#1949 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Just test drove the model 3 for the first time. Great vehicle. I happened to be driving the performance version (I’ll be buying the base model when it arrives). But the things I was most impressed with didn’t have anything to do with speed. It was smooth and elegant and more comfortable than my model S. Don’t get me wrong, I like my S more, but this car is a game changer for the world. I challenge any haters to arrange a test drive. They’re free.

I got to test drive a fellow pinsiders model S. It is a fantastic car. I don't like the sparseness of the model 3 as much. Finally got to sit in a model X recently, and honestly that's probably my favorite now if I choose to go the EV route. My concerns are more with the viability of Tesla as a company right now, not so much the cars.

#1952 5 years ago

Anyone with any experience with the reduced range towing a boat on a model X? If I go the SUV route, need it tow my small bass boat...probably 2000 lbs.

#1961 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

a while i was looking at a used tesla buying guide i found somewhere talking about how difficult it is to figure out what you are getting as the available feature/packages lists change more often than once a year. (this is for private sales, buying a used one from tesla they seem to publish the stats clearly).
anyways the article mentioned using ludicrous mode more than X times voided the battery warranty as something else to look out for. wondering what the truth is to that given all the other misinformation out there.
edit: found the article again
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/used-tesla-model-s-buying-guide

I think misinformation. Tesla went through some growing pains, with ludicrous and launch control, faced a lawsuit, and ultimately capitulated and opened up ludicrous without launch control and without power limitations. I don't think there was ever a warranty issue.

That article you posted is from Jan, 2017....alot happened during the course of last year.

#1970 5 years ago

And so it begins

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1LJ17Y

Not a Mercedes or BMW fan, but they have a similarly loyal following like Tesla. Will be intersting if the projected sales numbers hold true.

#1977 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is great. I am not a fan of German cars.

Agreed....much prefer a US company out perform German competitors. I drive an Italian car so anything that puts the screws to the Germans, I'm all for

BTW, What Car just released their reliability report. My Alfa was in the top 3. Tesla was dead last. I've noted before that the Model 3 was rushed to production to meet numbers. Tesla needs to shore up this quickly. Alfa to this day suffers from reliability perceptions due to ills of the past. It's a hard label to shake.

#1983 5 years ago

Elon is turning into a modern day John Delorean. For the sake of the company, he needs to be removed as CEO. He can be the silent technology director behind the scenes.

#1989 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Before you call for Elon to step down, watch the interview with Joe Rogan above. In full.

You mean the one where he tokes a blunt on air?

#1995 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I've said for months the stock is going to take a battering until Q3 financials are released.
I think Musk knows what he's doing too. That guy Rogan is a /major/ YouTube star and a mega petrol-head who was always getting the figures wrong on Teslas... and Musk convinced the guy to buy a P100D. Very smart marketing if you ask me. These are not the actions of someone out of control, or someone in desperation. The media is spinning it as negatively as they can.
Did anyone watch the Mercedes EQC launch video? It was... bizarre.

You know, I've given you credit when you post facts, and you've had some interesting points. But now you've gone off the rails if you are trying to spin yesterday's events as positive. Your fandom is overtaking your logic.

#2011 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Illuminate me why he did a 2 hour interview with a YouTube comedian.
It seems pretty clear to me. Unlike most execs Elon sees long term. The stock is down. He knows it will go up. Good time to get out and promote, particularly on channels that people who are likely to actually drop $50k on a car are likely to hang out - a comedy channel catering to petrol heads.

Easy...he's an egomaniac. It's the same reason he tweets ridiculous statements, did the subarine stunt and continues an unsubstantiated vendetta against someone who called out his publicity stunt. Surely you're not that obtuse. You can't continue to ascribe every ridiculous thing he does to some genius plan that us mere mortals don't understand. Most times and idiot is just an idiot...not a genius savant.

#2016 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

It strains credibility for you to call this particular billionaire an idiot. He did found PayPal, SpaceX and Tesla. Each of those has utterly and completely transformed its industry and none were obvious or easy to do at the time. I think it's fair to say that his IQ is well north of the average.
You call going on Rogan egomaniacal? Name me a CEO or celebrity that doesn't do this kind of thing all the time.
Or you mean taking a /puff/ of 100% legal pot was idiotic? Sure, I've seen a lot of grouchy old men have 1950's style Reefer Madness freak outs. But it's 2018, man. Pot is completely mainstream for people under 40, particularly in the places that selling the most Model 3's. I've read a LOT of 20 and 30-somethings giving him mad props. Which person do you think he's trying to sell a Model 3 to?
And don't put words into my mouth. I'm not ascribing everything he does to "some genius plan." I've criticized him before in this very thread. In particular he should absolutely have someone review his tweets before they are published. But I just can't subscribe to the idea that he's somehow lost his mind or he has a low IQ. That's not rational.

I'm not saying he is an idiot. I'm saying his actions are idiotic. The same actions you said were genius.

You really think the market for a 50k plus car is 20 year olds? Man your bias is really going full bore past your logic. You like to throw out links...here's one....average age of model 3 deposit holders is 43. Your demographic claim fail. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/survey-model-x-owners-income-double-model-s/amp/

And stop with the red herring that pot is legal. So is drinking but you don't do either on the job.

#2026 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I didn't say 20 years old. I said "20 and 30 somethings."
Your data says the average age is 43 - that means half of all reservation holders are ///younger/// than 43. Your data supports my case perfectly.
Where Tesla does Tesla sell the most cars? Silicon Valley. Average age of a programmer there? 28. With an income and a desire for a tech heavy car:
https://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valley-age-programmer-2015-4
And that bullshit you're trying to pull by twisting my words is a logical fallacy called an Appeal to Extremes.
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/30/Appeal-to-Extremes

He took a puff of a legal intoxicant and said right then in the interview that he wasn't into pot. He wasn't ripping bong hits or dabbing, but the media coverage makes him out to be a pothead. That's not a red herring, that's directly to the point that he's under a coordinated character assassination campaign.
So the guy drinks whisky during a YouTube video with a comedian. I suppose you can call that being on the job. You expect the guy to be a teetotaler, I think it makes him more human. It certainly seems to have resonated with younger people.

I think you need to revisit high school math and understand the difference between mean and median. A 43 year old average doesn't mean half are under 43. One 40 year old, one 44 year old and one 45 year old is guess what...an average of 43. But twice as many are older than 43 than under. But no matter it's far from your 20 somethings. And your example is silicon valley?? What a joke. Are you suggesting that the sole customer base is the over inflated salaries of silicon valley. And that's who Musk is pandering to? Then Tesla is in more trouble than I thought. You've gone full jump the shark with this line of debate. You're much better than that.

#2029 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I'm absolutely certain that a lot of 50 and 60-somethings buy Model 3's. So it's rather disingenuous of you to suggest that if the average age is 43 that there aren't a /substantial/ number of 20 and 30 something reservation holders.
And of course you're right about the exact definition of mean, but that doesn't support your conclusion that there aren't substantial numbers of 20 to 30-somethings buying or looking to buy a Model 3.

No, curiously enough what I said is what I meant. I'll break it down since you seem to be having as much trouble with basic English as I am with high school math:
1) Plenty of 20 to 30-something people buy $43,000 cars (and many more of them will but $35,000 ones).
2) Where Tesla sells the most cars, in Silicon Valley California, the average age of a programmer there is 28.
3) A lot of younger car lovers watch Joe Rogan on YouTube, so appearing there and convincing Rogan to buy a P100D

This will be my last post in this line of debate as you've failed on so many levels at this point it's no longer productive.

The average 43 year old is certainly more demonstrative that your 20 somethings aren't the target audience.

The average price of a model 3 is above 50k....don't know where you are getting 43k. And the next round is the 78K performance model. So you can forget the unicorn 35k for now.

Most of those 28 year old silicon Valley programmers you're so enamored with don't even drive cars. Again not the target audience. They're using uber black or live close to work since there is no parking in Palo Alto.

https://www.quora.com/How-frequent-is-it-for-someone-young-in-the-Silicon-Valley-tech-world-to-drive-a-supercar

#2030 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I bought a performance Model 3. I'm 58 but I feel like 20 when I drive it!

Kudo to you sir! We do whatever we can to stay young.

1 week later
#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Lastly I’m sorry to say that the lifetime free supercharging doesn’t transfer to new owners when the car is sold or transferred.

Really? That's surprising to learn. Almost every ad I read for a used Tesla prior to 2017 always touts unlimited charging as a benefit. I'm assuming just uneducated sellers and not unscrupulous...or is this a recent policy change?

This article seems to indicate you're incorrect

https://transportevolved.com/2017/01/10/want-unlimited-free-supercharging-from-tesla-buy-a-used-model-s-model-x-made-before-11417/

#2077 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

My wife is expecting her used certified Model next week. With free supercharging. I don't know if you buy out of the Tesla certified network.
https://www.tesla.com/inventory/used/ms
Loooong story short. 6 weeks ago, my wife received her model 3. It died 3hrs after owning it, Tesla had to tow it, tow company trashed the front and the rear end, Tesla gave us a model S P85D loaner, last week they say her newly assigned car is ready (because she refused to take back the damaged vehicle), The day before pick they inform her that there was a problem where she was still assigned the same car and she would have to wait for a new one... In the mean time i'm loving the shit out of the model S, so we decided to cancel the 3, and get a used certified S that we are expecting on Monday... unlike my wife i'm in no hurry to give back the sweet loaner.
I've never been in a Tesla prior to this, and i've had 20+ people in the car, who I have given a ride to. And they all friggin loved the car, you could see the smile on peoples faces while driving it... the comfort, quietness and yes speed... Tesla should set up driving experiences in malls and give rides to anyone and everyone. So many people haven't had the opportunity to ride or drive.

Another Data point that pretty much says what I've been saying awhile. The Model S are great cars...the Model 3s are having growing pains and seem to suffer from rush to increase numbers. I'm sure it'll even out as most new models suffer release issues and recalls.

#2084 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

5 star crash safety rating in every category and sub-category. I'll give the regulars here a few minutes to find a way to bash this....

Yay...It's as a good as a Kia, Chevy Volt, Mustang, subaru, Honda and lots of others. I'm glad it made the grade but let's not pretend it's some over the top accomplishment.

There, that's the best I could do to your challenge

#2086 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Thanks for proving my point.

Anytime

1 week later
#2123 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m still puzzled why SO much hate for an American startup car company making such enjoyable cars. You guys are an embarrassment. Is there no middle ground here?

Can't speak for all the other 'haters', but I've been called one, so I'll give you my personal opinion. I don't hate Tesla at all. I very much like the Model S and X and have toyed with buying either. Not a fan of the Model 3 for various reasons. What I 'hate' is the absolute fandom attributed to Elon like he is a messiah of the car world, and that he's some genius operating above all us common folk. I am of the firm opinion that Tesla, the company, would be much better off both short and long term, if Elon was removed as CEO. That's my gripe, and actually contrary to the popular belief that I want Tesla to fail. I want Tesla to succeed, and Elon is hurting that possibility more and more.

#2126 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

PS: stop toying and buy the S. You won’t regret it.

I'm waiting for some stability...For a car that's so central network reliant, I need to know that Tesla is here for the long haul. I already have a car that has a suspect US future (Alfa Romeo). Don't need two right now

#2144 5 years ago

So what exactly does the SEC do with the 40 million? Does that go back to shareholders somehow? Or do the SEC managers get better sky boxes this year to the giants and yankees?

#2146 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Do you know have many passenger car models Ford is making in North America after 2019?
ONE. The Mustang.
Currently their excuse is that the crossovers and SUV's are profitable and their cars aren't. I don't believe it. I think they see the writing on the wall in terms of EV's and they need to end their ICE model lines BEFORE they drop the cheaper than Tesla EV's onto the market. If they introduce an affordable EV directly in competition of their ICE model cars the resale value on the used ICE's will drop out and hurt the used car market which in turn hurts the new car market.

Brings up an interesting question....what exactly will the used EV market look like and how will it be supported? Alot of people can keep a ICE running forever...I've done complete frame off restorations myself. But very few backyard mechanics are going to be able to service batteries, servos and higher order computers. Very few are going to be comfortable buying an EV out of warranty, especially with the current closed service network like Tesla.

#2158 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

in case you were wondering, yes, the Model S fits a pin!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Awesome....PS, you need to wax that bumper

#2171 5 years ago

Interesting comparison....My DD is the Alfa Quadrifoglio and this was posted on our forum:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa-romeo/giulia/2019/tesla-model-3-vs-jaguar-i-pace-vs-alfa-romeo-giulia/

Bottom line, the Model 3 performance did admirably, but still not to level of the Alfa for sheer performance on twisties. But for DD commuting and getting the groceries, the Model 3 performance from a tech standpoint would probably be the winner.

#2173 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

The Quadrifoglio is without a doubt an amazing car, and a welcome re-introduction to the US for Alfa. Really sweet!

It is an amazing DRIVING car, probably the best I've ever been in, and I've been performance driving for the past 15 years. The steering is razor sharp, has a perfect 50/50 weight balance, has aerodynamic assist out the wazoo, is light and with 505 HP is blazing fast. But, unfortunately, Alfa fell short of some of the tech and amenities that much of the US population now expects for a Daily Driver. And of course Alfa still suffers from historical perception of reliability. Although at 9K I've not had any issues. It will probably be my last ICE purchase for a Daily. I expect within 4 years or so, the EV market will have many more options, and the price points will have relaxed.

#2175 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

It is amazing how Tesla is disrupting the car market in a relatively short period of time. They just took out the Toyota Corolla Family of cars for September Sales in the US. The truly amazing feat is the Toyota Corolla sells at around $22500 US while the Model 3 is selling at an average around $60,000.
Maybe 4th quarter sales will take out Honda Civic and Accord. Well done Tesla !

I don't think Model 3 buyers at $60K are taking away Corolla sales. You're mixing up two different phenomenon. Corolla sales at $22.5K would be competing against a much larger pool of alternatives from various manufacturers. Kia, Hyundai, Fiat and the like are making roads and cutting into those sales, not Tesla. The better comparison is Tesla against BMW's, Mercedes, Audi's, etc. that are at that $50 to $70k sales point. Tesla is probably hurting them more than they would be hurting Toyota.

You also have to consider the Model 3 is new, and the pool of $60k EV buyers hasn't been exhausted from numerous years of sales. Once the initial pool of buyers begins to taper (and it will, as the size of the pool for $60K car buyers is already smaller) as they get their cars, expect Model 3 sales to flat line or even decrease. Doesn't mean that it's any less popular, it just means that the demand is less. Then it will all the more imperative that they get the $35K model out into the market. Then, you can make the argument that it becomes disruptive to the Corolla/Camry crowd.

#2179 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is funny but SUV sales and Tesla sales continue to grow while regular cars continue to drop in sales:
https://www.planetizen.com/news/2018/08/100267-suvs-sales-increase-california-while-car-sales-drop-except-those-plugs

SUV sales are going crazy across the country. We've been shopping for one for the wife, and while out yesterday, I took more notice of what's driving around town. 7 out of 10 vehicles were an SUV or crossover. The next 2 were trucks, and 1 standard car. The wife and I both like to drive something uncommon, so we've narrowed it down to the new Jaguar F Pace or an Alfa Stelvio. I couldn't talk her into the Model X

I have no doubt that a $35k Tesla is going to be a popular seller. If they could make a $45K SUV, watch out.

#2180 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I disagree. The top 5 cars being traded in for model 3 cost far less. Tesla Model 3 is disrupting the entire Sedan Market.
https://electrek.co/2018/08/01/tesla-model-3-top-5-trade-in-cars/
Soon as the base model is introduced Model 3 will reach #1 in the US

From that same article:

"They count the BMW 3-series, Audi A4, Mercedes C-class, Lexus IS and Jaguar XE in the segment, which was significantly down last month – potentially indicating that Model 3 is having an impact."

That's what I'm saying. I don't think trade-ins are indicative of much, because most Accord/Civic drivers bought them 5+ years ago when that's all they could afford. Now that they've progressed in life, they're moving up to the next level of car. There is no way that someone who has budgeted themselves for a 20K Honda, suddenly says I'll buy a 60K Tesla instead. We've been the same way. We started with a $15K civic. Then bought a $35K Genesis. Now we're shopping for a $50K SUV. It's just the natural progression of those that have succeeded and can afford a little more.

#2185 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i think looking at the percent change for the Camry, Accord, Civic, and Corolla offers a compelling argument that the Model 3 *IS* stealing sales from those far cheaper vehicles.
[quoted image]

Nope....look at that same website. Alfa Romeo is up 186%. Mitsubish up 23%. Mazda up 11%. Volvo up 27%. So do I argue that each of those brands are taking away sales of Honda and Toyota? You can't look at it in a vacuum. First off there is no YTD sales increase on Model 3's because they didn't make any last year. And Tesla's share of sales at .82% compared to Honda/Toyota combined at 35%. I definitely think Tesla Model 3's are taking sales away from the competitors I listed above. But to suggest that Honda Civic sales are down due to Tesla is crazy talk.

#2188 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it's not crazy at all -- it's definitely, almost indisputably happening. The Model 3 is causing a lot of people who don't normally splurge on their car purchase to do just that. Look at the Corolla for example -- its sales are down 36% THIS MONTH, exactly at the point where Model 3 sales exploded. It's silly to pretend those two factors aren't related. Sales for the Camry are down 6% for the year, but 20% for this month alone, again right when Model 3 production blew up. I don't see how you can reasonably deny its impact.

You're making a leap of deduction that isn't there. They are not pulling from the same pool of buyers. Noone is splurging 3x the cost of a car. You can't honestly believe that. Last month's sales are down foe numerous reasons. Dealerships along the southeast took a huge hit due to hurricane florence. They've all been opening on Sundays trying to make up for lost sales. But to suggest a premium brand sales are up because a budget brand is down is folly.

#2190 5 years ago
Quoted from Adams:

I've had my 3 for a few months now and have been loving it.
Before purchase, I did the math comparing it to Toyota Camry/Honda Accord and the cost of ownership was actually significantly cheaper for the 3.
I get free charging from my employer which isn't the case for everyone so I understand that my math may be slightly different, but not only is the 3 way nicer than a Camry/Accord, also being cheaper for me made it a no-brainer. I agree people are definitely moving away from the traditionally popular ICE sedans in favor of the model 3.

I'm interested to see the numbers. For a 25k accord vs a 55k model 3, where are you making up the 30k difference?

#2199 5 years ago
Quoted from Adams:

Easy: The accord was actually more and the model 3 was actually less.
I wasn't looking at the base model with no options Accord. The Accord Touring, with minimal options is already over $30k.
My Model 3 was $50K, but then take away the $7,500 tax credit is really only $42,500.
Over 7 years, the difference in fuel costs is about $12,500 (I spent ~$1,800 on gas per year). Also save a few grand on maintenance as no oil changes or brakes etc.

Okay, thank you, and seems more plausible, given your situation of free charging. When you put it to paper, the tax credit really makes a huge difference. I know it's hard to shake the bias now that you're enjoying the Model 3, but if the tax credit weren't available (which will be halved at year end), would you have still thought it comparable? I've tried running the numbers, same as you, in trying to talk the wife into a Model X. But it just doesn't work here on the east coast, where gas is $2.25/gal. I can buy a nice fully loaded SUV for $45K, vs $80K Tesla. Even with the 7.5K credit, I can't justify it on price alone.

#2201 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Putting cost aside, would you rather be compared to Jesus or Dirty Dan??

I think we'd all choose one over the other. But that's a silly premise. Are you living in a grass hut or a house? Do you raise all your own food, or do you eat out and shop at the grocery store? Do you watch TV, use a cell phone, post on this forum from a computer? Driving an EV doesn't make one better than anyone else. And we all make financial decisions and convenience decisions everyday that are detrimental to the environment.

#2203 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

reducing one's environmental impact is still a good thing regardless of whether or not a person can reduce it to zero.

Absolutely agree. Driving an EV is one of many ways. But until we all are at 0, noone can cast aspersions against another, for their choices. We grow our own garden, use rain barrels, etc. But I'm not on here preaching that because you don't, you're any less environmentally conscious. And by "you" I of course mean the collective, not you personally.

#2209 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I do not see any logic to that assertion.

You don't see logic in not denouncing someone for not agreeing with your method of reducing your carbon footprint? Then I gave you too much credit.

3 months later
#2394 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

As an owner of a Model 3 Performance and Model X P100D, seeing this stuff going on really depresses me. While my service so far has been exceptional in the Bay area, this sort of stuff could truly ruin Tesla. Esp since they rely on no marketing, and mostly word of mouth and viral marketing.
So much amazing tech, forward thinking. And this is such a dumb ass problem. Sure you can hand waive it as growing pains. But model 3 puts them in the main stream. And now this is festering into a major block. I hope it's their highest priority in 2019. As people are burned, they don't give second chances.

And a Tesla's lovers objective opinion about the issue:

As a Tesla owner/lover, thanks for posting that. Refreshing to see someone admit it's not all sunshine and roses. I feel the same way about my Alfa Romeo. Love, love, love the car and performance. Hate, hate, hate the FCA dealer network and support.

2 weeks later
#2426 5 years ago

I think appealing to masses might be a mistake...part of the past allure of Tesla was it's rarity and uniqueness. Once it becomes as ubiquitous as a camry, it's no longer appealing to many. At least to me. I get maybe Musk is trying to spark a revolution, but often the pioneers are left behind when the next Gen enters the fray. Time will tell.

#2430 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I’m trying to understand your argument. Once a car sells as many as an incredibly popular car like the Camry, it isn’t appealing to ‘many?’ That’s a bit of a contradiction isn’t it?
Anyway, I don’t think the A-Class has hurt Mercedes-Benz’ appeal.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_A-Class

Like which pioneers? If you’re referring to Ford and Mercedes-Benz I wholeheartedly agree. Or are you referring to some other industry?

re: Contradiction: You left off from my quote "at least to me". So, I qualified my statement to me and my circle of car enthusiasts. I've been in the performance/exotic car circles for longer than Tesla has been in existence. When the Model S was initially released, I was very interested in purchasing, because of the uniqueness and yes, exclusivity. The performance was icing on the cake. Many of my friends felt the same way, and many purchased. Now, that the Tesla is becoming more mainstream, many from that same circle, are no longer interested in Tesla. That's just my own anecdotal experience and not based on empirical data, which I know you are fond of And it was just my opinion which I stated up front.

Not sure I would hold up the A Class Mercedes as any benchmark. Mercedes was #1 prior to the A-Class. After, they were second to BMW, and then in 2011, third to Audi. They've regained the market by focusing on premium vehicles and SUVs, not the A class.

re: Pioneers. Many industries. Personal Computers: IBM -> Gateway/Compaq -> Dell. Phones: Blackberry -> Apple. Search Engines: Alta Vista -> Google. Software: Everything -> Microsoft. Most have one thing in common: Tech. Advantages of not being a Pioneer: https://chrislema.com/second-mover-advantage/

#2432 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Are you really trying to argue that Tesla is better off chasing the niche exotica car company then entering the main stream market? I guess you have been under a rock but the new Roadster has pretty much the entire exotic car market drooling in anticipation.[quoted image]

From profitability, yes. Margins are higher. Once you start selling $35K cars to mass markets with razor thin margins that are used to the reliability and fit/finish of a honda or camry, then I forsee lots of complaints. Tesla is already receiving backlash for the handling of warranty claims for the model 3's they sold last year.

It's only my opinion. No need to get bent out of shape over it.

#2434 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The issue is your opinion has no basis in reality or fact. What did Toyota and its Camry post for profits something like 5 billion. Most exotic cars are owned by parent companies that bury the numbers on the balance sheet because they lose money on them.

Ferrari has been more profitable and sales are up 30% since they were divorced from their parent company, Fiat. I think the performance market does just fine. I'd be willing to bet since Toyota has been producing Camry's since the 90's, their margins are much higher than Tesla's 35K Model 3 could ever hope to be. Not an apples to apples comparison in regards to profitability. The problem will be when apples to apples comparisons are made between a 35K model 3 and a Camry by the general buying public in that market sector for fit/finish, quality, reliability and dealer support.

Hope Tesla proves me wrong.

#2436 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Money doesn't make problems go away.. Even if tesla were making $50k on every car sold the issues would still be there (though theoretically they could hire more engineers to fix those issues). There's a reason why high volume vehicles like camry's, corollas, accords, F-150's have few issues (none of which I would consider high end cars).. Because they sell a LOT of them so they can't afford to. The biggest money suck of any company are warranty issues, and it's not just the replacement part but often labor, shipping parts to dealers, the un-measurable loss of sales from the perception that your product quality sucks.

Again, apples to oranges comparison. Ferrari sales probably went up because now they are truly Ferrari (I assume fiat had some influence, maybe even sharing of certain parts). Same can be said for Mazda when they split back away from Ford. Remember when Mercedes meant something? Then Chrysler bought them and they started to suck?

Not untrue... but don't hold your breathe. Toyota is waiting until the midnight hour to switch over to battery, and right now Tesla has a 10-year lead on them (by the time Toyota does release an electric car, it will be 15 years).

Thanks for your reply....I think we agree, more than disagree. Much of my future opinion is derived from those that I have talked to that currently own Tesla's. I'm sure, that many of you happy owners that perhaps have had different experiences have a more optimistic opinion. My own feeling, is that Tesla had a more favorable outlook when they were focused on the high end market. They are experiencing growing pains, I think we can all agree, trying to get to a mass market vehicle.

#2438 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You do realize Toyota makes 5 billion profit compared to Ferrari 4 billion revenue.

Sigh...I never compared Ferrari to Toyota. You stated that performance vehicles don't make profit, I disputed that with the example of Ferrari. The whole comparison to Camry, was about market expectations, and what the 35k crowd expects from Reliability, Warranty Support, Fit/Finish, especially when the car is no longer a niche product but enters into the mainstream. If you can't acknowledge that Tesla, RIGHT NOW, is experiencing some very real pains with that, then I don't know what to tell you.

#2441 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

No one said taking over the main stream market was easy. Your point that Tesla is better of trying to stay niche is laughable. The Camry is 100 times the brand and success of any Ferrari. No one gives a shit if elitist put there nose up because now everyone has a Tesla and they don't feel special anymore. The goal and plan has always been to put everyone in in an EV.
My New Years resolution to empty the ignore list just keeps getting harder.

Ignore? Why do you take a discussion of opinions so personal? Not once have I attacked you, called your opinion laughable, or anything else. If you can't have a pleasant debate, then perhaps, ignore is the best for you.

#2442 5 years ago
Quoted from TheHive:

My wife recently got a Tesla model 3. It’s silver (which you can’t get anymore for whatever reason), has the dual motor, & premium wheels. Before the 3 she had a Honda Civic which was effiencient and super reliable. Mid 2018 we bought a Prius prime hybrid thinking we would forgo our Tesla reservation. The Prius is odd looking for sure but grew on us. It had a 25 mile all electric range which we reasoned we’d never use more than that in a day with the short commute to work and errands to run. Only had the Prius for a couple months then Tesla messaged us and said ‘your car is ready to configure’. Sold the Toyota which was a great car, and got the model 3. It’s the most amazing thing we’ve ever purchased! It’s super fun to drive. Very fast. Amazing sound system. The aggressive one pedal driving is fantastic. The simple and stylish design along with the technology on this thing is second to no other car imo. Its how all cars should be. No fossil fuels to put in, no oil to change, no transmission fluid, brakes will probably last forever if you utilize the one pedal driving well. Only fluid is windshield washer and brake fluid. The batteries have an 8 year warranty and if you only charge them to 70% (220ish mile charge on the long range 310 mile car), and keep it plugged in when not in use, the batteries will probably last 15 years. It’s been a few months now and I’m still wanting to leave my platinum F150 ecoboost in the garage and take her model 3. It’s so easy and satisfying to drive! Plus I can drive in the carpool lane and have free parking downtown. We do have a solar system with 45 panels which obviously works well with owning an electric car. We rented a Tesla model S with ludicrous mode when on a trip in Cali. Model 3 is a better car hands down. The only negative is if your a taller/bigger person as the 3 is pretty compact. There’s my short story review for what it’s worth. Here’s a pic of the car the day we got it.
[quoted image]

Congrats! Nice looking car

#2445 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It started with this, that Tesla is losing out because its becoming a Camry. I agree though it's a pointless discussion.

And you lost your cookies because I said "think" and "might"? I forgot in this day and age, when a differing opinion is voiced, best to just shout it down.

#2448 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm not upset at all, I do admit I have never suffered fools. This whole thing that people say things that make no sense and have no basis in reality. Then they endless defend this pointless position because its just their opinion. If you think Tesla can't survive the transition to mainstream so be it, there are plenty of valid reasons and debatable points on the subject. I like exotic cars and me and my elitist friends don't think Tesla is special enough anymore is just being a prat.

So in the span of three posts you've called me an idiot and a fool. Can you not discuss without being condescending? I respect your opinions whether I agree or disagree and since I don't know you, I wouldn't stoop to call you any names.

#2449 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Wow! If you don't see uniqueness in a Model 3 you have been living under a rock. I own a model 3 P3D+ Pearl White and there is nothing like it available.
I just keep getting over the air updates every couple of weeks that makes the car even better. What ICE car does that?
The latest update coming is an improvement of the security system. Soon all the cameras will be activated to give full 360 vision while car is parked. Nice feature for Hit and Runs. It's just a fantastic car. Mine is a September 2018 build and had no paint or gap issues. It is a beautiful car to drive and the acceleration is off the charts!
Tesla is a very very young company compared to the Legacy Automakers. They are going to have their bumps in the road but in the end we need someone to step up and show that Electric is the alternative to Fossil Fuel and Diesel. Diesel especially . That stuff is cancer causing!

I agree with your assessment...we do need alternatives. And I hope Tesla succeeds. Not sure why some get so bent out of shape when I have a differing opinion of how to get there.

#2451 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Actually I said that I don't suffer fools, it is a very common phase or idiom. I stated that your condescending elitist attitude that Tesla is going the way of Camry was you being a prat. I think its accurate I didn't come in a thread for Tesla owners and say the car just isn't special enough anymore. I am not name calling you I telling you straight up my opinion on your behavior. Why is it I have to suffer your opinion but you reduce mine to just name calling. I think I have completely justified my opinion and point of view and have nothing more to add.

If my opinion causes you to suffer, then my apologies. Have a good day.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=robertmee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.