Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1700 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I mentioned earlier that I got to drive my BIL's Model S. A story he told me gives me more faith in Tesla than I had before. One morning he went to start the S and the thing went into full possession mode. Seriously, no "The power of Christ compels you." would get it back to normal. The blinkers were going off, the windows opening and closing, the horn honking, you name it. He calls Tesla and tells the tech what is happening and they aren't really believing him until they connect to the car and see what was going on.
They told him to turn it off and they'll send a tow tuck. He lives 45 minutes from the Tesla repair center. It took three days to fix and when Tesla called him back the person was trying to skirt around an issue. He didn't really want to say what happened, but then finally whispered to my BIL that he may have a rodent problem. Turns out a rodent chewed through one or more of the major wires.
My BIL looked around and started to see the evidence of a rodent and noticed the little signs, like droppings, etc. He goes to the hardware store to get traps and catches the Mofo. Turns out it was a big pack-rat. My BIL lives in a new subdivision nowhere near the woods or anything, but I suppose you still get these guys. In fact, the rodent had a mouse trap stuck to his foot and was still walking around with it before finally caught. A shovel to the head took care of that rat.
A Tesla employee drove the car back to my BIL and took an Uber back. There was no charge for the entire fix.
Turns out a month before the wife's SUV (not a Tesla) had an A/C hose chewed through and was replaced by warranty. The techs never mentioned it was possibly done by a rodent.

As I understand it Toyota and Honda are using a soy-based polymer for electrical cable covers that are attractive to rodents. This fact has kept me from purchasing a new van as I live in a rural area with a lot of field mice. Perhaps Tesla uses this same cabling?

#1711 5 years ago

An in-depth analysis I recently read (or maybe it was anti-Tesla propaganda) proposed that one of the major Manufacturers will simply mainstream and mass produce a car based on Tesla and kill Tesla in the Market.
The Tucker and Delorean come to mind as ahead of their time upstarts destroyed by the big three. I would not feel comfortable holding the stock long term.

1 week later
#1849 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

But a foreign nations that's somewhat been subversive in their US relations...no thanks.

Thats putting it lightly.

#1922 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

I do like it actually. I make money from the manufacturers, who ever does well and uses my services mean little to me, your Sinclair reference doesnt even work, as I've even worked with *gasp* TESLA. (Training staff for customer experience and building sales process mostly)
I'm not going to share any of their or anyone else's proprietary data, but my sources are the manufacturers themselves, not some blog pushing a specific type of vehicle and speculation without actual knowledge.
As for evidence that they would have better financials and repair network had they used a dealer model? Hell I figured a guy like you knows how franchises work and that expansion costs a fraction, and the franchises pay a share of your infrastructure. And a network of dealers would far exceed their current repair facility count.
Vehicle service contracts are similar to insurance, so they would pay tesla for the repairs required. Youd probably know them as extended warranties although that term is incorrect. Many of them exclude tesla from coverage as the loss ratios are now too high and unpredictable. Make some calls to a couple you google and compare the rates to a 50k car like a genesis or a cadillac.
It's your logic that's flawed as you're the one with an agenda. You say dealers push people from evs and speculate as to why without any knowledge and wrongly assumed it was because of service revenue, I pointed out that retention is so low that would never be the motivation.
The reason dealers push people from evs is because they KILL their csi numbers. The batteries never perform as advertised because of weather, climate needs etc and the customers always kill the dealer, which snowballs into a myriad of problems for them without offering enough profit.

Thanks for the honest assessment based on insider knowledge and not blind allegiance. It is good when someone from Industry shares the truth to straighten out opinion and correct misinformation, too many times people become emotionally connected to the latest trend and cannot reason beyond personal fandom.

2 weeks later
#2003 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

If that $1Bn bond matures with the share price at current levels, they'll need to pay it in cash.

This is the real sleeper that can bring down the house.

2 weeks later
#2111 5 years ago

There are many instances of the Pro-Tesla crowd invading the "Out Club". This is one occasion where the information warrants comment on the most current thread.

Quoted from AAAV8R:

the plan was never discussed with the board

8 months later
#2802 4 years ago

I recently purchased an older Landcruiser to avoid the 2019 screen control system. Too many vital functions tied to a screen that can malfunction. Give me analog controls all day so out in the middle of nowhere I can get home and patch if necessary.
Liked it when it was against the law to have a screen the driver could see, it is distracting and dangerous. Drivers don't need any more distractions.

7 months later
#3038 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Change is hard for many. But they won't stop change from happening.

Not certain this "Change" as you put it, is real, more like hype. Gasoline vehicles, especially hybrids, are superior in so many ways to pure EV, range, power, hauling and towing. The theoretical efficiency of batteries will soon max out. People enjoy pulling RV's, driving motorhomes, make their living with tractor trailers loaded to the brim with goods.
The freedom a diesel or petrol engine offers has not yet been duplicated.
As I research more in-depth on build quality of Tesla, parts availability, repair options they seem more and more to be a disposable car, an expensive one at that. When something I own becomes impossible for me to repair or a local shop to repair it is non-viable.

#3048 4 years ago

Despite solar the primary source of electricity for electric vehicles will come from nuclear power plants. The first waste from nuclear production /experimentation is still here, as is all nuclear waste ever produced. It will stay around,and hazardous, for 85000 years. There is no "Disposal" method, nowhere to put it, nobody wants it.
Electricity produced by nuclear power is not Green. You do nothing to help the Planet by using electric vehicles unless 100% of recharging is performed using solar, wind, an impossible task unless your trips are confined to a small area.
The psychological benefits are immense though, as it makes one feel good.

#3049 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Back in 2016 willfully ignorant people could shit all over Tesla and sound like they knew what they were talking about, but in 2020? This is just hilarious.
Are you also still betting the landline will beat the iPhone because copper is cheaper, more durable and has better sound quality? Or that cable TV will beat streaming services because dial-up Internet is too slow? Do you think LCDs will somehow be dropped from pinball machines in favor of EM score reels because they are superior and 'people enjoy the sound'?
I have been driving the same Tesla for over 7 years. Every day. I drive it HARD. Brutally hard. It's bulletproof. It's an astonishing, mind-blowingly sweet ride that never gets old. I gun it and it still makes me smile. It is an amazing vehicle.
But go on, tell us all about how disposable they are.

I do not remember saying any of those things. I do know Tesla build quality is cheap, welds are poor, parts are hard to come by sometimes with a long wait and repairs are expensive, hence they are cheap in quality throw away disposable cars. Perhaps Toyota can build a great electric vehicle.

#3052 4 years ago

Sorry to be so downer, Tesla is a good looking fast car. Rapidly developing technology will ensure these cars will never be Classics. As with all electronic devices they quickly become outdated. I see electric vehicles replacing 20-30% of the Market in the next 20 years, much of this will be mandated through regulations if sympathetic Parties are in power. Huge, but replacing IC vehicles? Won't happen, gas/diesel has become very efficient, with hybrids offering dual and triple fuel alternatives.
Yes, there are many ways to produce electricity, but coming from a Technology Company I have witnessed lofty dreams languish while the expedient endures.

#3054 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

What in the world are you talking about?

What I am speaking of is nuclear waste is super nasty, there are already huge amounts of it piling up with no where to go, and until there is we should not add another load. In California one good flood and a defunct Reactor near the beach along with millions of pounds of waste would shut down a quarter of the State.
This is in response to a phrase I hear often," Electric cars run on clean energy". Some do.
Any plan to wholesale replace IC cars with electric would be catastrophic on the power grid and require a lot more fuel rod reactors to be built. Nothing else will do it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.