Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1441 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

salvaged tesla under water for 10 days, they powerwashed the inside.. with a jump it still booted without issue:

Almost ready for ebay

11 months later
#2788 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is he really making money off this company to this point? As an outsider looking in it seems he has been sinking personal capital on a dream rather than reaping huge financial gains. Musk just seems to want to make a positive difference in the world rather than make more money. I am no fanboy, just a neutral party.

Even if Tesla fails as a profitable business, all the major manufacturers are now getting into electric. Would that be the case if Tesla didn't exist? I'm not so sure.

The guy that made SpaceX and reusable rockets a reality is allowed a few failures (if Tesla comes to that) in my book.

I just want to ride my electric scooter to the hyperloop and go to work efficiently and cheaply. I-4 sucks!

#2808 4 years ago

That is some crazy f'n orange peel going on there. Just like one I saw locally. Not knocking them, but it is what it is. I like to do my own maintenance, so will not be an early adopter.

teslaorangepeel (resized).PNGteslaorangepeel (resized).PNG

#2811 4 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Not much maintenance to an electric car. Refilling window washer fluid. Tire Rotation . Brake pads after quite a while. The electric motors in Teslas have been tested to over 1 million miles. Not nearly the maintenance that an ICE car requires. That's the reason Legacy Car Manufacturers have been slow at adoption.
Maintenance is where they make all their money.

+$700 brake job

+$2k console replacement...

6 month plus wait for repairs.

I will not be an early adopter. I encourage everyone else to be though. When it's all sorted out, I'll be a buyer.

#2814 4 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

You ever own a BMW? How much is a brake job there? Also, the regenerative braking at the motor significantly reduces brake wear.
Why would you need a console replacement? You can play that game with anything. How much is a replacement transmission or an engine? Just silly.
Repairs can take long, but obviously that’s not the norm. Something they probably need to improve though.

I had read an article about a guy who put 200k miles on a Tesla and he had detailed his repair costs. The screen/console had failed and cost $2k to replace. It's not really silly. I don't expect the engine or transmission on a Honda to just fail. I've never had one fail and I've owned quite a few.

I'd never own a BMW. I've heard enough horror stories about reliability. I have owned a couple of VW TDIs. I won't do that again. The engine (1.9 ALH diesel) was bulletproof with a few mods. The rest of it was not.

#2816 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It’s weird. My screen “failed” (got a light yellow bar down one side) and they replaced it free. Maybe out of warranty. I’d actually like to read that article. Was there actually a $700 brake replacement? I practically never put my foot on the brake pedal.

Here you go. Also, note the $515 door handle replacement. I want EV to succeed, but I'm not paying those prices and I want to be able to fix it myself if possible.

https://insideevs.com/news/351491/tesla-long-term-cost-ownership-analysis/

#2834 4 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Kind of funny, I just typed Honda transmission failure into google and this is what came up. I get those are older models, but still. Transmissions and engines have a lot of moving parts, things can easily go wrong.

But in general, with proper care and maintenance, they don't. My thing is I don't want to be forced to use the dealer to fix shit. That's always the most expensive option. If I don't have the option to service it myself, I won't buy it.

Now please have a go at googling "Tesla screen replacement". I'll pass. And that's a display screen, not a transmission with lots of moving parts.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/screen-replacement-after-warranty

#2838 4 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Okay, I’m not going to convince you, it sounds like this is just too big of a chance for you. For me, it didn’t even enter my brain housing group.
I’m enjoying my new car and I’m happy to support the company trying to disrupt the car and oil business. For me, they are worth supporting. Doesn’t hurt the car is absolutely amazing.
Fortune favors the bold

Well yeah. You are an early adopter and I’m not. And that’s OK. It’s a means of transportation for me. I value cheap and reliable above all else.

#2839 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The newer (and I use that term loosely) have 10,000 mile defined or computed based on usage & conditions oil change intervals. My wife's GM Envoy I-6 averages a change required at 12,000 miles. And that's with fossil oil meeting the GM spec (6094-?).
Also, I value my free time at $150.00/hr.

My first ALH TDI engine that I did ~350k miles on before losing it to a stuck oil pump chain, I was doing 15K intervals of Shell Rotella full synthetic for most of its life. When I tore it down and sold the parts off, that shit looked new. No excessive wear.

#2850 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I mean that’s bad news for Tesla if they are still losing money on every car delivered. Tesla needs to turn around it’s margins and get profitable. It’s been 16 years since they were founded; they should be profitable. It’s not clear to me why they are still losing so much money despite their factories already having been built... unless they are just fundamentally too expensive parts or labor wise to make.
They’ve supplemented their losses by selling pollution credits. If GM and others sell enough EVs such that they don’t need to buy those credits from Tesla, Tesla’s losses would skyrocket.

Haven't they been giving free lifetime supercharging to encourage sales?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.