Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#148 7 years ago

All electric cars need to carry the same generic, easily replaceable batteries. Then a filling station will be just like getting a new can of propane for your grill. Drive in, let an automated machine swap the batteries for fresh ones and drive off. The idea of hooking up 170,000 watt power source to my vehicle is not appealing either. The Galaxy Note 7 had a fancy fast charging circuit too.

I'm all for electric cars as long as they take over via the free market and not subsidized by tax dollars. That said, I am not in on a Tesla any time soon. I have a Suburban that holds 3 pinball machines and a Focus that gets 36mpg for daily driving. We are still a long way away from a true replacement for fossil fuels. Until then I would rather see every building in America get LED lights, thick insulation and two pane windows (all made in USA). Energy conservation is the way to go along with a major switch to nuclear power. We should also be drilling the shit out of the entire continent and stop buying foreign oil.

#177 7 years ago

The top 3 sellers in the USA are full sized pickup trucks. Prius is up to 54th.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/01/usa-2016-vehicle-sales-by-model-manufacturer-brand.html

Tesla is changing a lot of people's thinking, but it will still be a long time before electric cars are even close to the norm. By then we will be using fuel cells or something similar.

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

How many of us keep a car for 10 years these days?

I do. I have rarely sold a car to anyone but the scrap yard when I am done with it.

#185 7 years ago

The other fact that is greatly overlooked is that the environmental footprint of the average electric car is not that much better than an efficient gas burning car when you look at the big picture. The production of the batteries and electric motors requires a lot of rare metals that are obtained by grossly damaging mining operations mostly on the other side of the world and in China. Sure these metals will be recycled more as these cars become more popular, but so will the mines have to grow to meet demand. The fact of the matter is that these mines have a huge carbon footprint and are way more damaging/polluting to the environment and ground water per vehicle supported than oil wells and refineries. Solar panels also require lots of rare metals to build. The flip side is that the electric cars don't pollute when running, so in the long run they do eventually balance out the manufacturing. If the power in your area comes from oil or coal the environmental savings over the life of the car are not enough to be breaking your arms patting yourselves on the back. So at best you might be living somewhere that has nuclear, wind or solar energy available, and over the life of the car save some carbon emissions.

That said, I do someday want to own an electric vehicle, but that has zero to do with the environment and has everything to do with 0-60 times.

1 week later
#235 7 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Jeremy Clarkson.

As much of a car guy as I am, I can't bring myself to watch Top Gear because I have always felt Jeremy is an unbearable walking, talking rectum. Fortunately I have Velocity channel and plenty of other car shows to watch.

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Now everybody likes to play it and enjoys it.

Not everyone. That might be the biggest exaggeration in this thread.

#302 7 years ago

Yes!
What an awesome near future!

Battery charging and storage is way too inefficient right now for houses. If you are producing electricity on your roof, it is best to sell it into the grid and buy it back when the sun isn't out. Before solar or wind makes any sense, we all need to get our houses up to par on efficiency to prevent having to buy a huge solar system. My new house has metal roof, icynene insulation, all LED lighting, double pane windows, tank-less water heaters, etc. It's twice the size of my old house and half the energy bill. I don't skimp on using lights either like I used to. Right now I can count 24 lights on in my living room. I like light. Dark houses are depressing. Anyway, I am happy as is and have no plans for solar power. Conservation is something that I think most people can agree on. I do it to save money and not CO2. Some day I would like to have a fuel cell of some sort out back.

#326 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i hope you have the level of vitriol for the $18 billion dollars per year the Federal government spends on subsidies to the fossil fuel industry, as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/drillinginfo/2016/02/22/debunking-myths-about-federal-oil-gas-subsidies/#f9e14976e1cd

Even if what you said was remotely true, the Government collects an ungodly amount of taxes from both the oil companies and the sale of their products. The oil companies are successful despite the government, not because of it. Not to mention that most electric cars run on energy from fossil fuel plants.

As I mentioned before, I would like an electric car some day, but not because of it being green. I want one because they are fast! I even put in an electric car power run in my garage when I built my new house. The subsidies and tax breaks for electric cars doesn't bother me because there are so laughably few sold right now. Now that the industry is moving to the next phase of affordability, it is time to get rid of the tax breaks and let the free market take over.

#360 7 years ago

Most Teslas I see in Florida are black. To me that makes no sense. It's blistering hot and sunny 9 months a year down here. A white car with tinted windows all the way around would save a lot of energy for air conditioning.

#362 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Something like this...

Definitely looks awesome in white!

#383 7 years ago

A poll like this one is completely unscientific. The only people who will even look at this thread are people who are interested in Tesla for one reason or another. The other 90% of pinside (who would all be "no" voters) won't ever crack into this thread let alone vote.

Personally I will not be buying a Model 3, I'm not an environmentalist wacko and I'm not a Tesla investor. The reason I opened this thread is because I've been traveling to the SpaceX factory in Hawthorne for work a few weeks a year since 2010. Back then we could walk out the back of the SpaceX factory and right into the Tesla facility and poke around. Slowly but surely they started putting up fences and gates separating the facilities and we could no longer poke around. Even still there are always tons of Teslas around when you go to the SpaceX factory.

1 month later
#423 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

It takes a particular breed of a**hole to revel in sticking it to people who don't want to destroy the planet. Like, actively on-purpose evil. I don't see the appeal of that perspective.

Its a funny picture. Have a sense of humor.

1 month later
#545 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I don't see the success of the electric car killing the muscle car. As long as there's demand, they'll be for sale. People said Obama was gonna kill the muscle car too, and what happened? Only the greatest era for horsepower of all time.

He was also the greatest gun and ammo salesman of all time.

Considering the F150 sells 750,000+ units per year (10x what Tesla has shipped in its existence) and the top three selling vehicles in America are full sized pickups... These cars will always be a niche market until you can drive into a filling station and have a robot swap out dead batteries for charged ones. That means all electric cars would have to carry a standard battery just like all gas grills use the same 20lb tank. Once Ford, GM, Toyota and Honda hop in and do that, Tesla will be a penny stock and get bought up as an after thought.

I do have money invested in Tesla, but my ear is to the ground and listening closely.

#557 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Zero if you charge overnight at home like most owners.

I have a house with a garage that has a dedicated electric car charging breaker that I built in. How many people can really say the same? Lots of my friends live in apartment complexes, or park on city streets or their garages are too full of junk to park a car in (LOL). Point is that as electric cars inevitably get more popular, the people buying them more and more won't be rich people who have garages. More and more people will rely on others to charge their cars.
In a way this is good because cities will be able to make even more revenue from parking meters if they can charge your car. Same with parking garages. Really any business with a parking lot might be able to monetize charging.

#571 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

BFD stocks go up and down. do you have a point to make?

The point is obvious! You guys believe in them blindly, so now is time to buy in a little more stock while it is in a dip. Personally I am holding at this point and not buying or selling.

1 month later
#712 6 years ago

I'll be close enough to have to hold my ears when this goes off:

https://www.teslarati.com/falcon-heavy-first-draft-animation/

#717 6 years ago

Glass roof is a disaster in places like Florida. There is no amount of tinting that can make up for not having any insulation above.

#719 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Have you actually ridden in it or are you talking out your ass? the car has no trouble blocking heat and UV.

I don't need to ride in it. When it is that hot out and you get into the car that has been baking in the sun the glass itself will be so hot that it will be radiating heat - especially for taller drivers like me. This has NOTHING to do with the glass being clear and everything to do with the lack of insulation. Now if it is double or triple pane glass, that would make a slight difference. Just as a side note, why do you have to jump directly into being a dickhead when someone has a different opinion than you?

2 weeks later
#736 6 years ago

I hear there are lots of Teslas being stolen recently. It's easy to tell though because the cars are re-branded as Edisons.

#744 6 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

I sold my Tesla P85D and took a big hit on resale. Having owned an EV, the only thing Tesla has going for it, is it's acceleration. The 2018 GM Bolt and 2018 Leaf look very interesting and comparable to the model S - except for acceleration. Tesla's autopilot is actually quite dangerous. Elon has over hyped it's capabilities so much that this led one poor sot to a false sense of security. His confidence in all things Tesla resulted in his decapitation when his model S broadsided a truck. Please, please do not make the mistake of buying a Tesla like I did. Buy a Bolt or a Leaf - which I'm getting ready to do, and feel safe in the knowledge that the car will do exactly what it's advertised to do - no more, no less.
Also, if I'm right, and Tesla runs out of money in 2018, with no investors left willing to flush more money down this endless drain, then send me a thank you 'PM' for having saved you a few tens of thousands of dollars.

Oh boy you are in for it. You have insulted the religion of more than a few people here and they will surely not be happy.

2 weeks later
#776 6 years ago

I found it interesting that Tesla unlocked extra miles on their cars charging systems so people could have longer range for evacuating Florida before Irma. Nice of them to do that, but what a shitty business model where you charge extra thousands of dollars for the exact same car just to get it un-gimped.

This sounds more like the mythical stories I heard as a kid of 120 MPG 1960 Cadillac's the evil GM and oil companies suppressed and didn't want us to know about than something the always honest and respectable Tesla would do.

2 months later
#925 6 years ago

It is kind of funny, and I am pretty sure its a joke. If they do launch the Tesla on the Falcon heavy it won't make it to orbit Mars. It would basically just go off into orbit around the sun. This is a test launch and SpaceX doesn't have an upper stage capable of maneuvering, correcting trajectory along the way and getting into orbit once it reaches Mars. Once it separated from the second stage it would basically be on its own. Theoretically they could build a third stage to take it to Mars if Elon wanted to invest millions. Or they could put it into the trunk of a Dragon capsule I suppose, but the heavy test launch will be using a payload fairing and normally the Dragon flights do not have a fairing.

So it could be done, but I don't think it will happen this time. Either way, I will have a front row seat to watch the launch whenever it happens.

#937 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

There have been numerous reports that due to the hard pivot back to fossil fuels, China and India will both have larger economies than the US within the next 15 years.

China and India are going hard into nuclear power generation like we should have done 20+ years ago. Nuclear power and electric cars are a natural combo.

1 week later
#962 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It always seems like big and expensive transitions take much longer than anticipated to become the standard. I am guessing in 20 years around 50 to 75% of vehicles on the road (not including trucks) will be electric or some other environmentally friendly alternative. In 10 years I am guessing it will be closer to 15 to 30%.

I'd say you are a little optimistic but not far too far off. They will have to catch on way faster than hybrids. Seems like Prius are really popular right? They are not even in the top 50 vehicles sold in America. There are 14 F-150s sold for every Prius.

#982 6 years ago

Oh man i love hot tub time machine,awesome movie!
It seems everybody hates it but me?
The smart car scene is hilarious

I like it too. Even the second one.

1 month later
#1123 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

+1
seeing the rocket boosters land vertically was insane.

I was standing outside the VAB about 3 miles from the launch. That is basically as close as anyone can get. The launch was almost as loud as the Space Shuttle used to be. Still shockingly loud with 5 million pounds of thrust! We were also able to clearly see the two strap-on cores return and land from our vantage point. Cool indeed. Funny thing is that I have worked for NASA for 30 years and still get excited. I watched with our new trainee who just started work on Monday as an Aerospace Engineer and this was his first ever launch in person. He was excited to say the least. A day he will remember the rest of his life.

#1151 6 years ago

Here are some pictures from the launch. These were taken by a friend who was standing right next to me. Definitely loud from this close!

image001 (resized).jpgimage001 (resized).jpgimage003 (resized).jpgimage003 (resized).jpgimage002 (resized).jpgimage002 (resized).jpgimage004 (resized).jpgimage004 (resized).jpg

3 months later
#1431 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Thought this was a Model 3 thread not a Dolt thread. Sorry typo meant Bolt.

Looking at the two side by side today, I would take the Bolt hands down. The Model 3 just doesn't have that solid look that the previous Teslas have. It looks both cheap and dorky on the outside. Hub caps? And that interior, ugh. Where do I start... Car guy wants a car with real interior, instrument cluster and no cheap looking wood glued to the "dash". The LCD screen looks like a laptop glued to the dash. Seriously this is the worst interior I have ever seen. It's taken me many times seeing it in person and each time I want to like it. Each time it looks even worse.

2 weeks later
#1471 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Meanwhile production, quality and the stock price all continue to rise.

The tent just went up. How do you know the quality of the cars produced there?

#1478 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Your condescending and disingenuous concern trolling is not a meaningful contribution to the conversation.

That could probably be said any time someone questions another person's religion.

1 month later
#1616 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I wouldn’t want to own any salvaged car. There’s a reason they’re called salvage.

I wouldn't want to buy a car built in an open air tent by someone working 84 hours a week either. But that's beside the point.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.