Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1521 5 years ago

As of yesterday I'm out, requesting refunds of two reservations, each held with a $1k deposit. I waited 2 years and my cars are due, but it looks like close to another year before my order would ship. My wife decided against getting hers and I was on the fence. With all the prepaid pinball companies going bust, I didn't want that to happen on my vehicle purchases.

While waiting, I leased a Hyundai Santa Fe and have fallen for her. I realized that as good as the Tesla 3 is, it will always be a car and I need a SUV, but can't afford a Tesla Model X. So I am moving on. I am excited for Tesla reaching its 5000 cars / week goal and for those in line to buy a Tesla 3.

#1526 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I simply could not read the wall of text a few posts up...
I'm a 2015 P90D I bought last fall used. We love it as I've mentioned numerous times in this thread. I own ZERO TSLA stock that I know of unless there is something inside a mutual fund. That said, my wife wants to but a Model X very badly and now that I've seen some 3's around town I can definitely see buying one at some point. It doesn't help Tesla, but buying a used Tesla is the way to go. I paid $87k for a car that stickered for $145k and I bought it with only about 5k miles. Yeah, it was a good deal and about $10k less than other S's I'd seen on Autotrader but the deal ARE out there. My hope it to buy a used Roadster 5 years from now!

You'll be able to get a new roadster 2.0 by then. All the power from your p90d 5000lb vehicle in a lighter, sportier and sexier model. It's Ludicrous!

3 weeks later
#1605 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

You seem knowledgeable of Tesla's inner workings and sales plan. Can you explain why wait times for Model 3s have dropped from 1.5 years just a few months ago to 1 month now? Either Tesla is making a hell of a lot of 3s or a hell of a lot of people have dropped out. I admit I don't know anything about the reserve deposit model so is this new shortened delivery a product of that?

Another factor is those waiting for a Model 3 is ratio of buyers. Probably 8 in 10 people are looking to stay under $40k and the rest will be upgrading battery and auto driving and paying between $50k - $75k. For the next year, Tesla is primarily making those high end cars. Initial reservations did not require you to choose (because they didn't know final battery and feature list). So you want a high end Model 3? I can get you a high end Model 3, just tell me you want one. It'll be ready in a few months.

#1661 5 years ago

With all the professional analysis of Tesla and coverage of electric vehicle sales, I am riveted to my monitor for Aug results already. Monthly production - 2018 vs 2017.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1696 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Absolutely BONKERS!

Hard to feel the acceleration with video shot from inside car. Anybody have a street level video of tesla vs {insert favorite fast car}?

#1701 5 years ago

Found master video showing consistent back to back to back 1/4 mile - 10.8 sec runs for 122 mph. Looks comical to see other cars look like they are standing still.

1 week later
#1820 5 years ago

I was skeptical when seeing the link and thought it would be the normal bs where Telsla had just held some loose talks with Saudis bs. But Elon's response addressed all the areas he needed to plus I learned a lot. Thanks for proving the link. prices down to $350. Maybe time to buy some options??? Could help balance the naked puts.

2 weeks later
#1951 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Just picked up a Model X p100d. Joining the club..

Good looking car. I like that it can get you where you want to be fast. I didn't like that you couldn't haul a pin in it.
Model X (resized).pngModel X (resized).png

1 week later
#1985 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Yeah, I’m starting to agree with the calls for Musk to step back from Tesla. I love that idea of silent director. They need his vision, but his recent antics are definitely hurting an otherwise amazing company.
Glossed over by the media, however, is the incredible sales in August!! Model 3 is amazing.

Maybe Elon should move up to chairman and promote two to backfill the CEO and President roles.

#2005 5 years ago

Was blown away by the Joe Rogan interview of Elon.. Elon believes there is a strong risk ai will destroy humanity, US Govt should study and enact ai regulation, ahead of a catastrophe. He accepts this will not happen, and has become a fatalist. What comes will come - don’t sweat it. But then he goes on pursuing inventions to better mankind. Couldn’t Elon spend some more time to get the legislators to reconsider? Seems that would be a lot easier path.

#2022 5 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Tesla still needs to build more superchargers with the model 3's coming on, before renting any to others. Saw 6 teslas at a supercharger location at same time for first time the other day. People waiting in line to get a spot will not be good.

Thought you could make a reservation for a specific time. Or is that for super stations only? Maybe you caught them at shift change.

#2058 5 years ago

Do you want to buy a Model 3 and receive it in two to four weeks? Simply order by Friday and pick Silver or Black. btw - this comes with soon to be discontinued unlimited charging. Don't worry about fighting traffic to find a dealer or to arrange a test drive, send money now and we'll drop the car off to you at work or home. This line of reasoning has me thinking ...

Not all options are available but this was my pick.

Anybody feeling lucky?

#2062 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Jeff, All wheel drive available on this deal? Tempting for sure even though I have a model S.

yes but you have to add +10k for awd and another +10k for awd/high performance, before you start wondering if you need the 20 in wheels. I'm pretty happy without awd, but wish I could get the bigger wheels.

I am chickening out because I strongly prefer driving a suv. Mine comes off lease next year and I plan to buy it for $27k to last another 7-8 years. I tried configuring an X model and was up to $100k before I came to my senses.

3 weeks later
#2184 5 years ago

Is self driving mode operational yet? What will be first US state to allow it on their roads?

#2194 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Are you taking electricity cost into account with your fuel savings? It didn't look like it with the math, but not sure. 15k miles/yr in a model 3 would cost approx $600/yr in electricity costs.

So how much would you expect charging cost to be for one week and how long will it take them? I am trying to get some practical numbers.

Let's say Jesus (pronounced hey-Zoos) drives his AWD Model 3 for 15k miles per year = 300 mi/wk. Assume he gets over 300 mi per charge, so the Tesla will need one super charge per week. Also presuming he doesn't qualify for free charging and will need to pay for each visit. Time is money, so he is not going to use the slow chargers for cheaper. What is Our Saviour's anticipated weekly cost? and how long will he have to wait?

Dirty Dan drives 300 mi/wk and he gets 300 mi per fillup of his gas engine. His car spews a cloud of black smoke and the fuel tank holds 16 gallons. With an average gas price of $2.75 (*assumed*) = $44 / wk for Dirty Dan. With a trip inside the store to buy some roller dogs and a monster gulp, he spends 15 minutes.

#2200 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Okay, thank you, and seems more plausible, given your situation of free charging. When you put it to paper, the tax credit really makes a huge difference. I know it's hard to shake the bias now that you're enjoying the Model 3, but if the tax credit weren't available (which will be halved at year end), would you have still thought it comparable? I've tried running the numbers, same as you, in trying to talk the wife into a Model X. But it just doesn't work here on the east coast, where gas is $2.25/gal. I can buy a nice fully loaded SUV for $45K, vs $80K Tesla. Even with the 7.5K credit, I can't justify it on price alone.

Putting cost aside, would you rather be compared to Jesus or Dirty Dan??

#2206 5 years ago
Quoted from Adams:

I think your mischaracterizing how people charge their cars. Most people just plug it in at home at the end of the day and it's charged for when they leave the next morning. This takes 0 additional time for fueling compared to the 10 min per fill up for gas.
Personally, I plug it in when I get to work and it charges during the day while I'm working (about once per week).
As for cost: Tesla charges 26 cents per kWh. 300 miles would need ~75kWh so that's $19.50
Gas near me is $3.90/gallon (I'm in CA so it's way more expensive) so at 30 miles per gallon, that same 300 miles in gas would cost $39
If I were to charge at home, electricity is cheaper than at a supercharger at 15.6 cents per kWh so the 300 mile charge would be $11.70

Thanks, that helps and as many have reminded me you charge at home every day rather than wait up. Most of the following has been covered - how kWh costs are derived - but to put it into practical terms ..

Jesus used a 115v wall socket in his garage to charge his 90kW Model 3 and he will need 10 hours @ 15.6 cents = $1.56. Or could use his Tesla home charging station. It too will fully charge the 90kW battery but it will only take 2 hours. So that would be 2 x 15.6 cents or 32 cents? Won’t your rate of charging be figured by power company so that it still ends up costing $1.56?

#2213 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

It took me an hour to stick in a 80A 240V circuit into a Tesla home charger. Typically I charge at 15 KWh. With a 115V outlet they max out at <2KWh. It's cheap and easy to get a setup that gets you topped up after a daily commute in <3 hours. The car allows you to tell it when to charge. Most electricity providers have reduced rates after 11pm.
Anyway. - mine is a modelx p100d. Which I constantly floor in ludicrous mode. Nuking my charge and killing my range. It was worth every penny to get the gut wrenching 2.8s 0-60 in a large suv form factor. [quoted image]

Very good info. These practical examples help a lot and congrats on the X.

On home charger - how much was it? Did electric company need to connect another feed? Maybe not since you mentioned charging at a 15kWh speed.

On mileage fluctuations - let’s say you leave home 100% charged. You drive all day WITHOUT flooring the car once, fast is ok but not aggressive. You get home and write down you drove y miles and had z% left on battery. Next day, leave home with 100% battery and drive about the same route all day but you drive like a dB azzhat from Hell. You get home and write down y miles and ?% of battery?

On pinball - can you fit a pinball in your suv? I believe someone answered no before and they’d rent a vehicle for pin moves. My Santa Fe requires the hinge bolts to be removed in order to slide the head down a bit and to fit - a pita.

#2227 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

yeah, i do own a few myself.
[quoted image]

Oh my gosh, I think you may have a problem. . What’s the most you’ve paid and be honest, and I’m guessing $300. What are most valuable ones you have and their price? Pics of the winners pretty please.

5 months later
#2569 5 years ago

I plan on buying a Y. Had a down payment on two 3’s and waited three years through all the ups and downs , earnings reports, car analyses, PS threads and tweets. Ultimately I didn’t want a car but a SUV with space to haul a pin, so got a refund.

The 3 experience taught me a few lessons. Since this is a car thread, I am going to make a pinball-ument.

1) Don’t buy (a pin) the car until you know exactly what it is.

2) Don’t pay anything or make a deposit until (a pin) the car is ready to be made.

3) Don’t take on unnecessary debt to buy (a pin) the car.

4) There is no rush to buy (a pin) the car. They will be available beginning 2021 whether you preordered or not. Someone’s always reselling and Tesla will announce special runs along the way. They will be run at least thru 2024.

5) if (a pin) the car company goes out of business, you don’t want to buying (a pin) the car then. Must have patience until the time is right and then proceed.

8 months later
#2983 4 years ago

Hate the el Camino shape of the truck and note that it doesn’t even look as stylish. Lots more interior room. power and speed with the new truck though. Love the ramp.
6314C123-4354-44A2-A8C3-38D4FF87902C.jpeg6314C123-4354-44A2-A8C3-38D4FF87902C.jpeg
27F0FBE7-F369-4D94-A583-377892D2BA98.jpeg27F0FBE7-F369-4D94-A583-377892D2BA98.jpeg

It reminds me of this car.

1EAA5886-965B-4B5B-99D2-82366DCA906F.jpeg1EAA5886-965B-4B5B-99D2-82366DCA906F.jpeg
#2987 4 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

The beauty of the design is you will be noticed. It will turn heads on the road. If that's what your looking for in a truck this may be the truck for you.

I wish it was stealthy to radar, but I’d have accepted bulletproof or able to fly. But if you told me this the real cabinet design for Deeproot, it would be an insta-buy.

EA5DAD72-7D81-48F4-BABE-2712F47273FB.jpegEA5DAD72-7D81-48F4-BABE-2712F47273FB.jpeg
1 month later
#3056 4 years ago

Growing I’d hear cars of the future would run on a small onboard nuclear reactor. It hasn’t happened yet. Darn science fiction for getting my hopes up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=jeffspinballpalace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.