Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 7 years ago

Teslas are popular first and foremose because they are highly appointed and fun to drive. The 2017 P100D is the fastest production car on the market off the line (reaching 30, 40, 50, 60mph and the 1/4 mile). The secondary attraction is it's electric.

Is it better for the environment? Maybe... the primary advantage of an electric vehicle is that it's not dependent on any particular fuel like an ICE, meaning it can be charged with gasoline, diesel, solar, coal, wind, nuclear, fuel cell, propane, gas venting, water, etc, with new power sources being developed all the time, some more environmentally friendly than others, and some less costly than others.

Thirdly is its autopilot features, which so far have been proven to be better (safer) than human drivers. Each of these features can be found elsewhere, but Tesla puts them all in one vehicle.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Am I the only one who thinks $35,000 is not at all a bargain?
Here's my problem: In 2012, I bought a 2009 Subaru Impreza with 9000 miles on it. It currently has 57,000 miles on it. In another five years MAYBE it will have 100,000 miles on it. It was paid for in cash on day one, like $10,000 or something. I don't see how I am going to pay hundreds of dollars a month to finance a vehicle that might save me 50-$100 on gas?

Gas is only part of the savings. There is virtually no maintenance on them due to very few parts, and electric motors are designed to go 1 million miles, which is at least 4x a well maintained ICE. Factor all that in and you'll likely consider it a relative bargain.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I got tired of my Volvo 240 just past 800K, replaced the motor & trans @ 350K. It still got 22mpg, barely used a quart of oil per oil change and everything worked except the overdrive lockout button, I still see it around town now and then. Probably am not the target market...

I'm not gonna lie, that's impressive, even if it was 2 engines and 2 transmissions.

In the past year I unloaded a Honda and Acura each with 200k miles, and both engines still ran great. Even at an absolute best case scenario, the Tesla engines should still outlast all of those ICEs many times over. I can't wait for the secondary Tesla market to mature.

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Read the book about Musk, even though he himself might have not come up with most of the ideas himself, he was smart enough to surround himself with the people who are best in what they are doing. There is actually a lot of parallels in-between him and Steve Jobs.

Jobs' only success was Apple computer (though success is an understatement). He was a great salesman and revolutionized a couple different industries, but Musk has revolutionized 3 entirely different industries with Tesla, SpaceX, and Solar City. The fact that he can sell ideas, raise money, create indisputably beautiful cars, reusable rockets, and discuss astrophysics in detail with his rocket scientists makes Jobs look a bit pedestrian. Apple created the PC market, but Tesla and SpaceX were built from scratch to compete with major auto manufacturers and defense contractors, two industries that notoriously impossible to infiltrate. That gives me a fair amount of confidence that Musk will make sure Tesla will deliver.

That being said, Tesla's first batch of cars did cost more to produce than were originally priced, but they were all delivered and are fairly spectacular. The S3X was also priced before they actually know how much they cost to build, but they had to learn a LOT from the first round. IMO Tesla delivers even their pre-orders, they should be set for a long time. Their cars are simply nicer than most anything out there at the same price point.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

The Bolt and Volt both look horrible on the exterior and have cheap interiors

I disagree, a friend of mine had an original Volt, they loved to drive it, and I think it is still the best looking hybrid out there. The original was nicer than the current body style, perhaps that's what you are referring to?

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I thought Car and Driver proved that wrong for the Volt. Under certain circumstances the gas motor will power the wheels.

Yea I just finished reading an article about that. Apparently the ICE can assist the drivetrain as needed, which makes it closer to a full hybrid than most people initially thought. I can confirm it uses EV mode almost exclusively until the batteries are depleted... my buddy could go nearly 2 months without filling up while using it as a daily driver... 38 mile range is good enough for the majority of commutes, but Tesla 3SX will have nearly 6x that range, good enough for most day trips.

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

My brother has a Nissan Leaf. Battery diminished severely after about 3 or 4 years. You can't replace the battery on the leaf.

You can definitely replace the batteries on it. However the Leaf does have the worst resale value of any car in the industry, regardless of engine type, so I'm not sure it's the best comparison.

2 years later
#2819 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Here you go. Also, note the $515 door handle replacement. I want EV to succeed, but I'm not paying those prices and I want to be able to fix it myself if possible.
https://insideevs.com/news/351491/tesla-long-term-cost-ownership-analysis/

I'm still not understanding how you are concerned about maintenance costs after reading an article detailing the positive financial benefits of owning the Tesla relative to any other ICE, even with those repair costs. I've scrapped my last 3 cars at 200k miles because they were under water relative to the repairs needed, and the maintenance costs to get to that point were definitely higher than this article.
Also that $15k in gas savings pays for all those repairs 3x over.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.