Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1103 6 years ago

I'm curious if anyone here is planning on spending the extra $3k for "fully autonomous driving (once available)"
I've spoken to several people in the industry (at Waymo) who say it's literally impossible for Tesla to deliver on this with the hardware built into the Model 3 and I've seen several articles now suggesting the same. Seems like a lot of money to loan Tesla for an unknown time period on a hope and a prayer when likely best case scenario is they refund the money and deliver some sort of "Enhanced Autopilot +"... or worse, they don't refund it.

I know we've all loaned Tesla $1k already for the reservation spot, but that's fully refundable so I see it as different.

2 months later
#1302 6 years ago

I bought TSLA at $230 last Jan. When it hit $365 in August it just seemed too good to be true and I sold it. If it gets back to $230, I would think about buying it again but alas, didn't go much below $250 this week.

#1311 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Just configured!!

Out of curiosity, when did you reserve and was it in person or online?
I reserved online on 3/31 (but late in the day) and my estimator says May-July. Curious for people getting them now, where they are at in the queue.

1 week later
#1350 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Anyone have an update on the 200,000 car tax credit situation?

If Tesla hits 200k in early Q3 (say July 1st), that means the full credit is actually still available to all through the end of 2018.
Even after that, half credit ($3,750) is still available for the first 6 months of 2019 and quarter credit ($1,875) through the end of 2019

3 weeks later
#1397 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I have a delivery date for my Model 3! I'm hoping it comes in a bit early, but it doesn't look like it. Assuming nothing goes wrong, I will have the car next week.

I configured over 3 weeks ago but haven't heard anything since. Still no VIN, no delivery date.
Hoping they speed things up a bit

4 months later
#2189 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it's not crazy at all -- it's definitely, almost indisputably happening. The Model 3 is causing a lot of people who don't normally splurge on their car purchase to do just that. Look at the Corolla for example -- its sales are down 36% THIS MONTH, exactly at the point where Model 3 sales exploded. It's silly to pretend those two factors aren't related. Sales for the Camry are down 6% for the year, but 20% for this month alone, again right when Model 3 production blew up. I don't see how you can reasonably deny its impact.

I've had my 3 for a few months now and have been loving it.
Before purchase, I did the math comparing it to Toyota Camry/Honda Accord and the cost of ownership was actually significantly cheaper for the 3.
I get free charging from my employer which isn't the case for everyone so I understand that my math may be slightly different, but not only is the 3 way nicer than a Camry/Accord, also being cheaper for me made it a no-brainer. I agree people are definitely moving away from the traditionally popular ICE sedans in favor of the model 3.

#2191 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'm interested to see the numbers. For a 25k accord vs a 55k model 3, where are you making up the 30k difference?

Easy: The accord was actually more and the model 3 was actually less.

I wasn't looking at the base model with no options Accord. The Accord Touring, with minimal options is already over $30k.
My Model 3 was $50K, but then take away the $7,500 tax credit is really only $42,500.

Over 7 years, the difference in fuel costs is about $12,500 (I spent ~$1,800 on gas per year). Also save a few grand on maintenance as no oil changes or brakes etc.

#2193 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Are you taking electricity cost into account with your fuel savings? It didn't look like it with the math, but not sure. 15k miles/yr in a model 3 would cost approx $600/yr in electricity costs.

No I am not. See original message:

Quoted from Adams:

I get free charging from my employer which isn't the case for everyone so I understand that my math may be slightly different,

#2196 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So how much would you expect charging cost to be for one week and how long will it take them? I am trying to get some practical numbers.
Let's say Jesus (pronounced hey-Zoos) drives his AWD Model 3 for 15k miles per year = 300 mi/wk. Assume he gets over 300 mi per charge, so the Tesla will need one super charge per week. Also presuming he doesn't qualify for free charging and will need to pay for each visit. Time is money, so he is not going to use the slow chargers for cheaper. What is Our Saviour's anticipated weekly cost? and how long will he have to wait?
Dirty Dan drives 300 mi/wk and he gets 300 mi per fillup of his gas engine. His car spews a cloud of black smoke and the fuel tank holds 16 gallons. With an average gas price of $2.75 (*assumed*) = $44 / wk for Dirty Dan. With a trip inside the store to buy some roller dogs and a monster gulp, he spends 15 minutes.

I think your mischaracterizing how people charge their cars. Most people just plug it in at home at the end of the day and it's charged for when they leave the next morning. This takes 0 additional time for fueling compared to the 10 min per fill up for gas.
Personally, I plug it in when I get to work and it charges during the day while I'm working (about once per week).

As for cost: Tesla charges 26 cents per kWh. 300 miles would need ~75kWh so that's $19.50
Gas near me is $3.90/gallon (I'm in CA so it's way more expensive) so at 30 miles per gallon, that same 300 miles in gas would cost $39
If I were to charge at home, electricity is cheaper than at a supercharger at 15.6 cents per kWh so the 300 mile charge would be $11.70

#2204 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

if the tax credit weren't available (which will be halved at year end), would you have still thought it comparable? I

Without the tax credit, a Camry or Accord would have been cheaper.
Would I have spent the extra money and bought the Model 3 anyway? I'm really not sure.
I definitely like the acceleration, that I no longer have to ever stop for gas, integrated google maps etc... but is it worth 20% more than a comparable ICE car?
Maybe. Very hard to say what I would have done.

I also don't think of the Model 3 as a super premium car though. It's nice, but so is a higher end Camry or Accord.
The Model S or Model X are more luxury cars in my mind. So while you can get a loaded SUV for $45k, it wouldn't be a Porsche Cayenne or BMW X5 so I personally wouldn't compare a $45K SUV to the X... that's all personal perception though.

#2216 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:
On mileage fluctuations - let’s say you leave home 100% charged. You drive all day WITHOUT flooring the car once, fast is ok but not aggressive. You get home and write down you drove y miles and had z% left on battery. Next day, leave home with 100% battery and drive about the same route all day but you drive like a dB azzhat from Hell. You get home and write down y miles and ?% of battery?

i believe you'll find driving like a maniac reduces your range regardless of whether that car is powered by gas or electricity. i certainly find it to be true.

Driving an electric car like a maniac does decrease efficiency, but not as much as you might think. In an ICE car, you're using tons of gas accelerating then wasting that kinetic energy braking, then repeating... in an electric car, you waste energy accelerating, but then recoup a portion of it through the regenerative brakes. You'll still see a decrease in range, but not nearly as much as in an ICE vehicle (also you won't need to change the brakes and rotors more frequently like you would in an ICE car)

2 weeks later
#2259 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

electric motors dont need an air intake. why have a grill? just adds drag.

They do need air intake.
It's not to cool an engine, but it does need to cool the battery and electronics.

4 weeks later
#2315 5 years ago
Quoted from rad:

Interested in opinions from Tesla S and/or 3 owners... If you were considering purchasing a used S (85D or 90D with under 25k miles) versus a 3, would you pick the 3 or a used S (85/90D) and why? What options(s) would you make sure to get?
Thanks in advance.

I've had my 3 for about 7 months and I was given a Model S for 2 weeks while my 3 was in the shop. I would recommend driving both to figure out which one you prefer.

TLDR: If I were given the choice between a 3 (LR) and an S (70D) for the same price, I would still get the 3. A lot of this is personal preference and circumstance so your situation may be (and likely is) different.

I'll try to go over the differences that mattered to me and why I like or dislike each:

Suspension: S has an air ride system that allows you to adjust car height, 3 has traditional coil suspension. Very early 3 production had some complaints, I know they changed their seats since then to make a better feeling ride. I couldn't tell the difference and thought they both felt good. I'm sure others can notice the difference, I just didn't

Size: The S is noticeably wider than the 3 by ~6 inches, also nearly a foot longer. If you're planning on carrying multiple adults, maybe this is a good thing. Here in the bay area where parking spots are super tiny, I found it much easier to park in the 3 and didn't have to worry as much about people opening their door into my car.

Screens: The S has the dash cluster screen which is definitely nice. The maps implementation there could be better, but if I had the choice, I would rather have this screen behind the dash and the 3 doesn't. The main screen is a different story. The S has a terrible tile/split screen system compared to the 3 which allows for sliding apps like music up or down to increase the size or get rid of it entirely. much more intuitive, much more fluid, way more options, and looks better too. The main screen is a clear win for the 3

Center Console: The 3 has one large well with lid plus a decent size bucket under the arm rest. I use the larger space for storage including charging adapter. I use the space under the arm rest for electronics and battery for a dashcam. The S has a large customizable divider system taking up most of the center that is not hidden. The 3 is my clear preference but it's very specific to my personal use case.

Door Handles: The 3 handles look neat, they work fine, they do attract too many finger prints on and around them. I like them... but the Model S door handles that pop out are just way cooler.

Phone vs car fob: The 3 uses your phone (via bluetooth) to unlock your car and allow it to start (or you can use the credit-card rfid tags) while the S uses a fob in the shape of a model S that you carry on your keys. I definitely like using my phone much better. I always have my phone on me so I don't have to carry anything extra. I usually don't carry any keys so I found the S fob to be kind of annoying. There is now a car fob option for the 3 as well I believe for $150

Range: My extended range 3 gets 310 miles to the charge. I only charge it to 90% so that's 279 miles. The S 70D I drove had a range of 259 miles. charged to 90% is only 233 miles. I get nervous getting below about 50 miles (and so I don't) which really gives my model 3 an effective 229 miles/charge compared to the S 178 miles/charge. I found that 25% less miles/charge to be a huge difference. Sure you can get a longer range S, but that's a lot more money. Also I don't have a charger at home. I charge at work about once per week. If you charge the car every day at home, this might not matter to you at all.

Trunk/cargo: The trunk on the S closes with the push of a button, the 3 is manual. That's just an extra feature for the S that the 3 doesn't have and I wish it did. Both cars have very large trunks (as well as smaller frunks). They both also have a large tub below a hatch in the trunk which is nice to hold groceries etc. While both cars have a ton of storage, the S somehow has TWICE as much. I've seen a pinball machine loaded in the back of an S which you definitely can't do with a 3. the S is a hatchback which helps with this. Bottom line: both have crazy storage, but if you for some reason need even more or the larger opening of a hatchback, the S is the way to go.

Additional Notes: I don't have the Performance version of the 3 and had a 70D model S, don't know how the performance versions compare. The air filter in the 3 works well, the S is supposed to have a crazy large HEPA filter which works better. Never tested it. I have tried EAP and thought it was terrifying. It missed objects in the road and drifted a bit too much for my comfort. I did NOT pay for EAP nor Full auto. In my opinion, full auto will never be viable for current S or 3 models. It will be at a minimum years away and certainly require additional hardware (and that's IF it ever comes which I think it won't) so I have taken all self-driving concerns out of my decision process, but if you disagree, obviously that could change your preferences.

8 months later
#2872 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

just that 250 miles is what makes sense

My Model 3 gets 325 miles. The current long range Model S gets 370.
People do want more range, it's just expensive/difficult to get more into a production car.
I do think it says something that tesla offers 100mi more range than any other manufacturer

One thing I didn't really appreciate before owning an EV was what "range" really means and why range anxiety is a thing.

To keep the battery in better condition, you only charge it to ~80% normally (only charging to 100% for long trips). If you try to charge whenever it gets down to 20% in fear of running out of charge, that means you're really only using 60% of the battery capacity. This is good for the battery life, but if your car only has a 250 mile "range" that means you're actually charging it every 150 miles. If you have a home charger and plug it in every night maybe not a big deal, but if you rely on outside charging that's 150 miles between fillups is a LOT. My Model 3 gets almost 200 Mi between charges which is better, but if I could buy a car that went significantly farther, I would appreciate that.

#2874 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I was just pointing out this whole no one can make an EV with the range of a 2013 Model S is just marketing BS.

Definitely true. I never believe anything Elon or Tesla Marketing say.

2 months later
#2935 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

So seems like it's the best EV out there and real competion will at least take another year so I'm thinking of getting one next week.

2 questions for owners:

- Isn't the rear view window really small when driving?

- Do you recommend Long Range or Performance? Price is not the issue.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I have the LR and can confirm it's stupid fast.
After the latest software update, the regular LR can go 0 to 60 in under 4 sec while the performance can do it in just under 3 sec.
Other than acceleration/torque etc, are there any real differences between the LR and Performance? I believe you can customize the wheels and interior etc of LR so I don't see any reason to get the performance other than the difference in power output... but if you do want the extra acceleration, sure go performance model.

#2939 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

also 4 vs 3 seconds 0-60 is huge difference.

Is there really a big difference? My model 3 is the fastest car I've ever driven. 0 to 60 is still faster than a BMW M3 or Z4.
Now I'm curious to try a performance model to compare.

1 month later
#3026 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Question for those with a older Tesla...I've been looking at used Model S's (2014-2015) and was wondering if the large updates include those models. Would those models get the new features like Camp mode that was just released during the holidays?

Some features it depends on exactly what model and what hardware it has (does it have AP1.0? 2.0? 2.5?),
some features it depends what options were purchased (was FSD added?),
and other features were rolled out to all cars. I do believe Camp Mode was rolled out to everyone.

#3032 4 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

If you are putting that many people in the car, a model 3 is too small

Agreed on this. 2 in the front and 2 in the back fits just fine, but it would not be comfortable for 5 adults. Because they're kids, you can just tell them to cram in and it likely won't be bad when they're that young, but they will get older and bigger and the back seat isn't very large.

1 week later
#3044 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

These were filmed at Tesla's Kettleman City Supercharger I believe. It's the halfway point between LA and San Francisco, so it's frequented a lot. It also has a Tesla-branded lounge with coffee shop, and from what I've been told has become a place where sometimes, owners just stop for fun.

It also has 40 superchargers.

I was just at that stop yesterday coming back north from LA to SF area.
half the superchargers have been upgraded to the V3 250kw units (20 V3 and 20 V2)
At the end of a holiday weekend at 5pm, it was only half full (curious enough, half the V2 chargers were used and half the V3 chargers were used. Not sure if people just didn't notice that both were available?)

I do think a lot of people are charging for longer either because their battery is almost dead and so it starts charging at a slower rate or they are charging it nearer to full and the last 10% takes a longer time (and sometimes both).
still there's no way people average over 40 min (and I think that's a gross overestimate)
I pulled in yesterday with 11 miles left on the battery and probably charged about 40 min but that's pretty much the maximum possible and I don't think that's at all normal

#3058 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

V3 really only benefits long range Model 3s right now, I think. I think short range is capped at 150 kwh, and S / X are around the same.

What version of Tesla do you have?

I do have a long range 3.
Didn't think about that aspect though, you're right that some other models are capped at lower charging rated due to size of battery and the older components can't handle the power. I thought the newer S and X could take full advantage though, is that not the case?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=adams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.