Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1114 6 years ago

I was wondering when that would appear here. Firm heavily financed by the the big three hits Tesla with a scathing review who would have guessed. Any car that even remotely rocks the boat gets hit with this stuff. They don't even mix up the playbook. I pre ordered the Smart when it caused a very minor ripple in the industry and it was the exact same thing. They even went on about the support pillars in it. It's literally rinse and repeat.

#1146 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

How much does it raise your electric bill?

I have a friend with an S and he charges his at the office or uses other public chargers as much as possible and said when he is diligent he can get his monthly cost to $5-10 at home. Chargers are pretty common, big malls have a couple and he will use them whenever he hits a movie. He did say he sees more movies.

1 week later
#1167 6 years ago

I preordered a Smart when they were first launched and it was exactly the same. It really funny to see the exact same propaganda. Any new vehicle that makes even the smallest ripple in the industry get attacked with the same nonsense. They don't even mix up the play book. Tesla is just on a much larger scale so there are just way more people doing the launch of a new car for the first time. It's basically, attack safety, mix it up with quality, fit and finish issues, rinse and repeat. Oh and of course sprinkle in convenience issues. I got my Smart really early and they had an issue with the cables on the heater controls. The first batch was not lubricated properly so they seized up and were hard to adjust. So many reviews just when on and on about the heater controls, it's like deja vu.

#1170 6 years ago

Like I said I saw the exact same stuff about the Smart when it launched. They don't even mix it up. They went on and on about how dangerous it was in a crash and how the support pillars were an issue. All the problems safety workers were going to have to get you out of it. One of my favorites was when the first one totaled was donated to local fire department so they could practice cutting into it. Then the pictures of the car all chopped into pieces were all over the internet with stories about how the car broke apart on impact.

#1191 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I personally hope they’re waiting till April 1 or even July 1 to deliver their 200,000th US car. That would give the most people the full tax rebate (myself included).
And to the guy who is contemplating getting a model S: just do it. I have one. If you have the means, max it out. Get the p100D with ludicrous mode and it will blow your mind.
Rubberducks guy: come for a ride sometime and you’ll likely be less distespectful of Tesla’s accomplishments.

I'm Canadian and my date was just moved up from late 2018 to mid 2018. My understanding is he is switching to Canada to delay the 200,00 car in the US till July. I don't understand your tax credit deal but I have some hope I might get a car this year.

3 weeks later
#1214 6 years ago

If you look at the stock you can see this is completely normal the stock fluctuates by this amount almost daily. I will never understand why people spread these silly article, that use unnamed former and current employees as sources.

#1218 6 years ago

This is the same article the first one referenced. It's all the same nonsense, Joe anonymous who may be or may have been an employee has no authorization or ability to speak about issues at Tesla says 40% of all parts need to be reworked. LOL

#1221 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Yeah, if it's not true they'd probably be hitting their production goals, but they're not, by a long shot, so something is quite wrong. If Tesla can't produce the Series 3 with a modicum of quality in the numbers they need to in order to be profitable, it's bad news for the company plain and simple. Maybe Musk will eventually get tired of the car scene, sell what's left of the company out, and concentrate on space.

yOLRKHf - Imgur.gifyOLRKHf - Imgur.gif

#1262 6 years ago

Police Chief said early reports are the car did nothing wrong and no human could have stopped. Pedestrian came out of the shadows in the median directly in front of the car. It isn't clear if she was riding the bike but there was a bike with bags of bottles and belongings. Sounds like a homeless person. Car was doing 38 in a 35 which is under 10% and most police give 15%. Police said speed was not a concern or a factor. Driver of the car said he was looking ahead and there was a flash and he heard the impact before he could even process what it was.

#1274 6 years ago

Now that I have seen the video the guy is clearly not doing his job. There is definitely negligence here. I do not feel they are completely at fault. The car is a lot more visible to the woman than vice versa. She walks right in front of a car on a four lane road and that is why she got hit. Uber clearly needs more oversight. I'm sure people are watching these videos on a regular basis and the guy was not at all concerned.

1 week later
#1293 5 years ago

I would be but I'm selling some other stocks right now to pay for my Model 3.

#1301 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Whos buying (more) stock today??

Damn it's up like $40 bucks since you called it.

#1305 5 years ago

I'm selling some stock to pay for my 3, it was part of a bonus at work few years back. It's down a little lately but I'm hoping it will get close to $130 before I have to pay for the car. The payment price was listed at $17, going to hurt a bit on the capital gains but I am not complaining.

#1315 5 years ago

I configured about a week ago. Reserved online the moment it opened before the reveal. In Canada obviously, they gave me 4-8 weeks. Ordered the wheel kit and charger and they already arrived. Just need the car

#1320 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The less popular choices (which, surprisingly to me, is apparently black color in particular) can take longer because they do apparently only run those every other week or so.

Black cars are a nightmare, I’m not at all surprised that’s the colour they let you have for free. Nobody wants it and everybody is willing to pay extra to avoid it. I’ve never heard of anyone that enjoys black as a daily driver.

#1323 5 years ago

Black cars look good the day you wash them and look like shit every other day. They are high maintenance girl friend, it's just not worth the effort. Tesla knew it would be the color most people would pay to avoid. The obsidian black they just dropped.

#1327 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

I currently own two black cars and if i would have purchased a m3 it would have been black... Maybe its the 180 days of rain in your part of Canada influencing your view...

My current car is a black VW Eos it was meant to be my wifes but she only likes driving it in the sunshine so it ended up my daily driver. I did everything to avoid black but it was just one of those deals that I couldn't say no. It's my first (and last) black car but I should have known better, never again. The rain is a blessing the car looks its best when it's overcast.

If you love your black car and happy with the additional maintenance all the power to you. My only point was it is no surprise it is the least desirable color. These days its whites and silvers. I will say I will take black over red, black may be a pain in the ass to keep clean but red is a ticket magnet. It catches the eye and looks faster than it is. No cop ever misses a red car.

#1330 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Generally I agree but my P90D with all the bells/whistles looks pretty badass in silver in my opinion.

Is there a color that car would not be bad ass in? The tint and black mags are sweet.

#1334 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

No, that's the thing.
I'd totally have a silver S. Or a neon pink S. Or glow in the dark yellow. Or poop brown. Or freeway sign green.
You know all those would look awesome.

When it blows by at ludicrous it’s already past plaid, colour is irrelevant

1 week later
#1347 5 years ago

I can say my Canadian date was moved up and I got to configure already. My understanding this was to delay the 200K car in the US. So I can confirm they have changed their focus to international.

#1349 5 years ago

Norway would be the next logical market. All I was trying to say is they are clearly trying to sell cars outside the US and the only reason for that would be to slow sales inside the US. So its a good chance all the speculation about delaying US sales is true.

1 week later
#1356 5 years ago

I'm 5 weeks since configure and got a call saying probable 5-6 more

#1370 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Cancelled my model 3 order after seeing one up close. No offense but for 60 grand with options there are so many better handling and looking cars. The speedometer placement and overall look of the car turned me off.
No offense but a Porsche Macan S with zero options would be better then everything inside and out except for the paying gas part. Had a 2015 Cayenne and it just destroyed the model s so this was not really surprising.

Well the Macan could read the Model 3s rear plate in the 1/4 so I guess it's better at that I would love to see them go head to head on a street course. I suspect the Model 3 would also win there. If the interior is your thing I can understand passing on the 3. I dunno where a your Cayenne destroyed an S because it was not on the road.

#1373 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

So it was a local back road near both dealers. The S was heavier and was more work to go fast kn a curvy road. It was a GTS Cayenne and on the same drive it could go faster and was more stable or locked to the road then the model s. There is no denying the tech in tesla but the actual driving part the larger SUV won by a large margin. Sure the model 3 is a excellent car but for me for that price I want something exciting and it just doest not do tht for me inside or out, bet handles as good or better then the s model.
I dumped the Porsche for a variety of reasons but is one of the best suvs ever made. Jusr really designed for Germany autobahn and not american speed limits.
I currently am leasing a 2018 CRV and a Fit so its not like i am ruining the world with my gas guzzler. I will revisit Tesla when there small SUV is announced.

So off course if your going with a GTS you went with P and the D right and I do not believe you for a second that it destroyed an S. Sounds like a "this one time at band camp" story.

Here is the X comparison and the S would be even worse.

https://evobsession.com/tesla-model-x-vs-porsche-cayenne-turbo/

"On that note… it’s really something to to see just how substantially the Tesla Model X outperforms what had previously been (arguably) the most impressive vehicle in the SUV/CUV class — the Porsche Cayenne Turbo. The Model X really does seem to be (arguably, again) the best SUV ever produced."

#1385 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Where did I say faster? The S is a decent handler but all that weight is noticeable and felt like a fat pig going around corners Crappy tires could contribute to this but the nraking was decent for a 30k car but for this 85k electric car I expect. I realize about regenerative braking but it real cannot compare to any performance car i drove.
cant speak of handling on the 3 but im sure its damn good with the lowered weight.
The interior besides the tech is pretty bad and the seats even the upgraded ones never felt spectacular.
Did not mean to crap on your guys parade but I thought i would share my limited experience with the car.
My main reason for cancelling besides the basic looks and interior was the speedometer placement and lack of heads up display. Sure you can get used.to that but its really not optimal. Yeah its a small quibble but still bothers everytime i see that big screen.
Anyways enjoy your cars and I am sure they are great. Hope that Te continues to push electric car tech as well.

There is no chance you have even been a passenger in an S. You actually tried to say the Model S couldn’t accelerate coming out of corners and when it came to driving it lost by a large margin to a larger SUV. It’s so detached from reality it’s laughable. The Model S is a rocket on rails, the Porsche has as much chance to win as your story is true. Now your saying it can’t compare to any performance car you have driven. I dunno what your driven but the S smokes super cars and it’s a family sedan.

1 week later
#1398 5 years ago

I configured March 27th no vin yet, have been told not to expect car until June. Hoping I’ll at least see a VIN soon.

2 weeks later
#1418 5 years ago

My Model 3 is on the truck to Vancouver, super stoked. Rich Rebuilds is great love his channel.

#1420 5 years ago

Midnight Silver with Aero wheels. I already have kit for the wheels to lose the caps. I’ll probably grab rims fairly quickly and make the standard rims my winter tires. I bought a flat black wrap kit for the center console and lower front license plate holder I’ve been thinking about getting at least a partial wrap on the front of the car but haven’t found a place yet. If I can find a decent place I’ll probably tint the windows at the same time.

1 week later
#1429 5 years ago

Picked mine up tonight, love it!

1 week later
#1439 5 years ago

For me the magic of the Tesla is the interface, over the air updates and autopilot features. It's all of that on top of the amazing driving performance. The bolt is a decent EV but I don't think it is at all in the same class.

Funny story, I hit drive through the other day, the guy takes my money and says your food will only be a seconds. He than steps away from the window so I can't see him and I clearly hear him tell someone else, Dude that is a Model 3 out there, the other guy says pull him ahead I want to go out and look at it. So he tells me I need park and they will bring my food out, as he is talking I see the other guy walk outside with my food.

2 weeks later
#1467 5 years ago

I love these stories, that random people say random things with no evidence or facts. Look they built a tent, it's all over the company is doomed. Meanwhile production, quality and the stock price all continue to rise.

#1469 5 years ago

Are you seriously saying because Heighway pinball put up a tent before they closed that Tesla putting up a tent is a sign they may close? Its a tent, by definition its a temporary portable structure. I fail to see how the material used to cover something correlates to the quality that occurs under it.

#1473 5 years ago

Here is the actual stock for the last 90 days. It’s the opposite of your post. To the quality I picked mine up at a mass delivery in Canada and anyone with eyes can see they are addressing quality issues as fast as they are discovered.
074BE0D5-A40C-491A-BBED-D331D1FCA676 (resized).png074BE0D5-A40C-491A-BBED-D331D1FCA676 (resized).png

#1476 5 years ago

I stated the facts, the stock price, quality and production all continue to rise. I'm happy to see any evidence to the contrary. All I see is but its a tent, but the experts, but the shareholders are just fanboys. The stock is high, I agree it might be a good time to sell and enjoy the great return on your investment. I myself don't consider that "dumping" a stock. Most people don't say I dumped that stock because I made so much money on it.

#1480 5 years ago

Really, this is video shows "archaic manual assembly of Model 3s". You guys have your fun but this is nonsense.

#1503 5 years ago

More random people say random things, with no evidence of any kind. Any employee stupid enough to say something like this publicly clearly is not actually privy to the information. I have insider information at the company I work for and when you have it they sit you down and explain to you, leaking this type of information will get you fired. It can also land you in prison for insider trading and other financial crimes. So I put zero faith in anything said to the media from an "employee".

I have no knowledge if they are actually making the 5K number or not. I do know so long as production continues to rise it's not really a big deal if they miss it. Tesla will not just self implode and file bankruptcy if they are only making in the 4K range. Anyone that knows anything about the company is fully aware that they miss all the time.

#1507 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Noone is suggesting the company will implode....It's an American car manufacturer. I for one hope they succeed. Reuter's is ranked in the top 5 for reliable news sources. Three employees, not one were interviewed. I doubt Reuter's would fabricate employees. And people talk all the time off the record under anonymity. All that said, your last statement speaks volumes. How long will investors continue to accept misses all the time? That's the only question here.

My point is these employees are probably janitors, or people on the line that counted for a shift. All such data is highly suspect and hardly to be taken as valid. Three people gave a number for a single shift and the reporter did some basic math and took a guess. Three data points is not enough to extrapolate anything meaningful, yet they keep printing these stories like they have legit data and insider knowledge. And if you don't think there is a serious movement to show that Tesla is going down you have not followed this in the slightest.

P.S. This thread is literally titled "Who is in on the Tesla model 3?" yet all it is, is every negative internet story posted so people can troll Tesla. One negative poster actually complained that this thread is like a fan club. It is a fan club, no pin owners thread is trolled like this.

#1509 5 years ago

I own a car but I’m not a shareholder so I have no financial investment. All this talk of Tesla going under and comparisons to pinball companies is laughable. No one is losing on Tesla, the stock is super strong anyone wanting out can sell at a substantial profit. If you guys want a thread about the doom of Tesla make one. It would be nice to be able to talk with people that are actually in to the cars but it’s always the same old bullshit.

#1542 5 years ago

The best part of owning an EV is how awesomely ludicrous parking and charging is. I'm from Vancouver and anyone that lives here will tell you trying to park on Granville Island on a beautiful afternoon is brutal. When you roll up in an EV, its here is a spot reserved for you right in the perfect location and of course we will fill your tank for free. I charge for free at work and pretty much any major shopping center, tourist attraction or entertainment center. You get prime reserved parking at everything. It's really a secret window into a different lifestyle. The 2 seconds to put on an adapter or tap your phone to unlock the charger is a non issue. These nonsense article about how you don't really save that much and its not really that green completely false up here in Canada, it 's cheap clean hydro, zero emissions. It cracks me up everytime I hear EV being claimed to be dirty because they use electricity generated by coal. Maybe its coal that is the issue?!

#1546 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

This is a short term benefit. I would not recommend anyone buy an EV to obtain "reserved" parking or to think they can charge for free 100% of the time.

Why do you think its short term? I will always charge for free at work and most business offer it because it's very cheap PR. It's like free wifi, no coffee shop will ever charge for it because it's cheap and not having it would kill your business. Any new business that wants to be even remotely trendy is putting in an EV spot.

You still have to pay to park, but many lots have free charging and its not hard to decide which lots to use.

P.S. A free tank would be considering amazing if it was 1% of the time. Funny how EV people shouldn't count on it being 100% would only 80% be bad?

1 week later
#1572 5 years ago

Remember that very negative tear down on what a pile of crap the Model 3 was. Big surprise now the guy has completely reversed his opinion and its the greatest thing since sliced bread and the most profitable EV on the market. Interesting how things change when your trying to sell all the other car manufacturers your report for 90K. Now it's the greatest and if you don't buy the secrets from me you will never compete with the Model 3.

https://electrek.co/2018/07/16/tesla-model-3-teardown-profitability/

#1577 5 years ago

I myself am shocked, now that no reservation is required people not ready to order have decided to get the completely useless $1000 reservation back. Everyone I know waiting on the 35K decided to refund the reservation. Every single one of them is also still completely stoked to get the car and will be button mashing the buy button the moment the configuration is opened.

Tesla probably should have just refunded everyone.

Seems these analysts have the same intelligence as the people still trying to scalp reservation spots for profit. LOL

#1579 5 years ago

Yeah that is one area I think Tesla screwed up. The reservation date was really just very vague ball park. I think the vast majority of people realise the invite is pointless at this stage. Why anyone would not refund the $1000 is beyond me. The analysts should have said 75% of people still holding useless reservation. I guess that wouldn't have affected the stock though.

#1588 5 years ago

It's a weird negotiation but as always we only get a snippet of information. Walmart and Amazon are both notorious for demanding and forcing price reduction from suppliers. Last time I checked they do ok. I dunno why they would ask for a reduction on a previous purchase but my guess is they are asking for it because they have an alternate source. Saying give us a reduction or we won't use you in future.

How about this story, a pulitzer prize winning journalist attacked on social media by the Tesla shorts.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-performance-review-wsj-dan-neil-twitter/

#1600 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

You seem knowledgeable of Tesla's inner workings and sales plan. Can you explain why wait times for Model 3s have dropped from 1.5 years just a few months ago to 1 month now? Either Tesla is making a hell of a lot of 3s or a hell of a lot of people have dropped out. I admit I don't know anything about the reserve deposit model so is this new shortened delivery a product of that?

The thing about the reserve system is really confusing to a lot of people. Initially you had to put down $1000 to reserve your spot. Then when your number came up you ordered your car. When you ordered you had to pay a couple thousand more and that was non refundable. Now they have canceled the entire reserve process. There is no longer a $1000 reserve, you just place your order and pay the non refundable few thousand. The cars are basically going out by order date. Lots of people are still sitting on the initial $1000 reserve and have not ordered. That reserve is almost useless, one day the short range will just appear on the website and anyone will be able to order it by putting down a deposit. People are hopefull that the reserve holders will get priority and get to put their order in first. They probably will get a little priority but it's not going to mean much. The process thus far has shown that your reserve and order date is pretty lose as to when your car is actually delivered. Its all about the logistics, of what's coming off the line and where you live. There very little reason to sit on a reservation, what good is a reserve spot in line when anyone can go online and place an order today. The number of reserves is pointless all that matters now is the number of people that have ordered a car and paid the deposit. So long as orders out pace production they are golden. As they still have not even bothered to advertise clearly they can't keep up.

#1634 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Rich rebuild showed up on the motherboard channel.. he brings a lot of this up on his own channel (about how tesla refuses to service salvaged vehicles, that they won't even sell you parts forcing owners to buy used parts to keep them running).. He also talks about how there are laws that say it's illegal to not allow owners to service their own vehicles so long as they have the proper tools to do so

That was a fun watch but it puts a weird spin on Rich. Its so serious and paints him as this gorilla revolutionary against Tesla. The guy is so charismatic and hilarious, I wish they showed more of who he really is. His channel is must watch for anyone that likes Tesla. His dispute with Tesla is very professional and funny. It's just the reality of legal liability and business, both Rich and Tesla understand that.

#1642 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

What does Chevy do about selling parts for the Volt? It will be interesting to see how the parts industry evolves as the amount of electric vehicles on the market from different manufacturers grows.

I don't follow anything Chevy so I can't comment. I do see both sides, I understand why Tesla and other agencies don't want people doing what Rich is doing. He makes a mistake electrocutes himself and those batteries explode, its a real mess. You have a family without a Father and a considerable environmental catastrophe. As much as I love watching him pry apart a Tesla with a kitchen knife I know it's something I would not want my neighbor doing while my kids play in the yard. I totally relate to him and I would do it myself, I guess I trust my own stupidity over other peoples.

To the post above I don't see the big battery listed anywhere just the 12v system. I did not look that hard though.

#1652 5 years ago

LOL, so is it still all over for Tesla? Damn that is going to be painful for the shorts.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG
#1664 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

From CNBC:
"Tesla shorts lose more than $1 billion on post-earnings surge
Tesla stock traded more than 10 percent higher Thursday at $331.90 per share, meaning short sellers have taken over a $1.1 billion mark-to-market loss on their 35.1 million of shares shorted, estimates S3.
Tesla chief executive Elon Musk has actively criticized and trolled investors short his company's stock this year. Most recently, the CEO bashed Greenlight Capital's David Einhorn."

This new thing that the media and investors actively try and destroy an American company is so weird, imagine if they actually wanted the company to do well. I'll never understand it, the worlds most advanced cars in technology, safety, the environment and they are pure joy to drive and people just flushed a billion dollars in the toilet in hopes that they would fail.

#1699 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Hard to feel the acceleration with video shot from inside car. Anybody have a street level video of tesla vs {insert favorite fast car}?

Basically every car gets smoked by a Tesla, the only thing that stands a chance is very limited production super cars. Everything else is left in the dust.

#1703 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Hyperbole much? Most Tesla's are quite pedestrian by today's standards. Yes the ludicrous models are insanely fast, but the rest have 5 sec 0-60s and 13s 1/4S which is far from super cars today. My euro sedan does 3.6s and 11s

So that Euro family Sedan is the low end model right? Nothing I said is not a fact, not hyperbole at all. Being the post after that video is pretty funny. Even if we compare the average time of their line ups what other company is in the class of Tesla?

#1705 5 years ago

Man I wish I could justify the Performance Model. I love my 3 and it has enough to keep me entertained and I have driven it harder and faster than most. Damn would I love the P but I couldn't afford the tickets let alone the added price.

#1717 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

It's half the price of a ludicrous P100D or P90D. It's not a super car which was your definition of exceeding a Tesla's performance. And you didn't clarify the fastest Tesla which at over $120k could be considered a super car in of itself. So, yeah, I'd say a bit of hyperbole.
As for comparing the average line up of Tesla against all other manufs, sure I'll concede that. But all other manufacturers have a more diverse line up meeting many different needs. Not an apples to apples comparison. Especially considering the least inexpensive tesla currently is how much?

You do realize your car can’t beat a Tesla. I noticed you not providing any details of this car your driving. No one thinks the LR 3 is blowing the doors off cars in the 1/4.

#1721 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

My car will beat more teslas than not, as most tesla models not named ludicrous are slower than 4 sec 0-60. So your comment once again would be incorrect. And the car I drive is no secret....posted all in the car club thread. It's a 2017 Alfa Quadrifoglio. Paid 58k. 0-60 in 3.6 or 3.8 depending on which publication you believe. 4 door sedan stock. I could put a chip mod in it and gain another 100hp and probably get closer to 3 secs, but it's my daily and don't feel like voiding the warranty
You seem personally upset that there are options besides Tesla. I'm a fan of the car, a little leary of the company, but can certainly appreciate the engineering of the model s and x. Jury still out on the 3 but I hope it succeeds. And I would love to own an S or X some day. The 3 isn't as impressive to me.

Seems in reality it does 4.0 and only pulls 12s in the 1/4 last time I checked a 12 is no 10.8. A Tesla will blow the doors off your Ferrari inspired Alpha Romeo, maybe you should line it up against Rich Rebuilds P Model S that will cost half what you paid? I love that you using the what I paid amount. You keep saying I'm talking hyperbole but what have I said that isn't true? You just keep moving the goal post. No one thought I was talking about a Model 3 but I doubt your car could even beat a performance 3.

#1726 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

No, in reality if you'd bother to visit the alfa forums where people are posting time slips is sub 4 and sub 12. You again fail to acknowledge that at no time did I suggest my car would beat a 10.8 sec ludicrous model S. Talk about moving the goal posts. This is exactly why Tesla gets a bad rap sometimes. It has fans like you that can't stand it when someone presents real facts that Tesla isn't always the best. Go to car times dot com and see for your self how many teslas are slower than 4 secs or 12 sec 1/4. But in the end it doesnt matter. You enjoy your car, I'll enjoy mine. At least I can acknowledge I appreciate the Tesla and would actually purchase one. You're so blinded by fan loyalty, if it's not Tesla it's nothing for you it seems. I've de railed this thread enough with this line of debate. I'm off to enjoy my motor trend car of the year

No one thought I was saying every single Tesla on the road would beat every car on the road. All your doing is whataboutism. I made one comment that is true, someone else posted video evidence showing it to be true. You ego got bruised and you started the whole but my car, you give Tesla fans a bad name. You did exactly what another poster commented, full man baby because an EV is faster. The car you drive should not be a support system for your ego.

P.S. You started the whole swinging dick thing. I made a commented directed at no one.

#1728 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Tesla is a brand not a model. Dodge smokes every car...oh I meant Dodge Demon but you knew what I meant. Really done now as there's no point arguing such ridiculousness.

Dude Dodge Demon, lol you need to watch a little drag times. It does not fair well against the P100D, and of course I would assume that was the car you meant. Just like if you said Ford I know you mean the race they have been hyping for weeks and I think Ford is going to take it. You came in this thread with this gem.

Quoted from robertmee:

Hyperbole much? Most Tesla's are quite pedestrian by today's standards.

Please defend that hyperbole, what exactly is pedestrian about Tesla?
Styling, handling, speed, technology, maintenance, media coverage, automation, the CEO, market disruption, environmental impact please I would love for you to justify that post. Dude you came in to troll and you just keep digging deeper. Just move on.

If anyone is interested Ford vs Tesla going to be crazy.

#1743 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I don't gloss over that fact that's the difference...I didnt make the statement that "Tesla blows away everything not a supercar". I fully acknowledge that Tesla as a brand is performance inclined. My only point is that a 5 sec/13 sec car nowadays is not in rarefied air anymore. 10 years ago, perhaps. But nearly every car manufacturer has a model under 70k that exceeds or matches the performance of a standard tesla. It's not a knock against Tesla...it's just a sign of the times. Even Kia with the new stinger is 4.4 sec.

Man you just keep trying this same silly argument in the absence of reality. What Tesla has a 5 second 0-60? Is a single model actually that slow? My RWD LR 3 is faster than that. You can only post false information so many times. You literally tried the whole EVs are bad for the environment because of electricity production, that little gem is nonsense. It’s silly argument number one in the troll handbook. Everyone is fully aware I was referring to performance models. You just keep pretending otherwise.

Time to tidy up this thread, should have done it from the start.

#1784 5 years ago

The irony if the Saudis end up owning electric car.

#1787 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

They are looking to diversify before oil or demand thereof runs out.

I'm just dumbfounded that the EPA is actively working against the environment and the oil barons of the middle east are trying to diversify and go green.

#1808 5 years ago

I'm pleasantly surprised to come in the thread and not see the latest FUD braking story. It's interesting to see the negative stories are not able to get traction with all the talk of going private.

#1817 5 years ago

Some examples of the Performance 3 in the 1/4.

1 week later
#1858 5 years ago

Now that we have the out thread, hopefully all the negativity can be taken there.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-out-on-tesla-model-3-

#1862 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Seriously? Does everything have to be so divisive and shitty now? EVERYTHING?
I don't play golf. Should I go around starting threads about how I don't play or give a shit about golf? No.

I totally agree but that is just kinda the current climate these days. People are happier to shit on something than take pleasure in it. Lot of miserable people out there I guess. I was just trying to give a few posters the hint that there is a thread that might be more suited to their agenda with regards to Tesla.

#1868 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I love mine. I've always enjoyed working on my cars and will miss that aspect of Tesla ownership

Mods scratches that itch a little, I just picked up new struts for the frunk from this video.

Done a few other little things, it's not the same but its something.

1 week later
#1928 5 years ago

That Russian car cracked me up, no way that is anyway even remotely close to the Tesla demographic. It is funny that so many salvaged Tesla have been over bid on and sent off to Russia. I wonder how many Kalashnikov has bought up. I have spent a decent amount of time over there and nobody that can afford a Tesla is buying that. I'm sure they will sell a few to the grumpy old holdovers from the Soviet era but everyone younger than 35 would never drive that thing.

#1933 5 years ago

I recently installed new puddle lights from abstract ocean. I love them but they are pretty nerdy, now when I open the front doors they shine a Tesla logo on the ground like the bat symbol. It left me with two of the interior LEDs to mess around with. The stock lights are a single rather dim SMD. Being into Pinball I had plenty of LEDs kicking round. I popped apart the light and easily replaced the single SMD with a 3 SMD section from a strip. Upgrade LED lights sell for $10-15 per light. You can get a strip with enough to do 20 lights for about the same price. I only did the two extra I had and it took me about 10 minutes. To be fair the first one took about 8 and the second about 2. Weird that messing with a car is now like messing with a pin.

#1935 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I’ve always liked that effect on my mom’s Mustang. How hard/how much time did that take?

These are the ones I have, dead easy took a couple minutes. The light just pops out, wire has a little connector the new ones are bigger but have the same connector. Just plugs right in. There is an adjustment to aim the logo, took me a few minutes to get the logo nice and straight with the door open.

https://www.abstractocean.com/ultra-bright-led-puddle-lights-pair/

#1945 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

When I buy a new car I really expect to not have to put hardly any money into it for the first 10 years or 100k miles.

There is some information available on this and you would be hard pressed to find a car on the market that cost less than a Tesla in this period. If you compare Tesla to other manufacturers they are the market leader in additional costs. The issue currently is the time it takes to get the car fixed. Many of the issues the out of warranty owner is having were notorious in the early runs but are not longer an issue. Things like the door handles were improved in the later production. The kind of issues he is having a pretty common with all car companies. Own any car for any length of time and you will know the things that habitually fail.

#1953 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Anyone with any experience with the reduced range towing a boat on a model X? If I go the SUV route, need it tow my small bass boat...probably 2000 lbs.

Bjørn Nyland, is a great EV youtuber,

1 week later
#2019 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I didn't realize Canada was pure hydro power for electricity. I recall it being the majority though.

It’s not 100% but BC is 95% clean power. The 5% is just remote location all the little stuff that’s off the grid. The country is like 80% non emitting energy with plans and legislation in place for the grid to be 100% by 2030. We also export a great deal of clean electricity south of the border. The way things a going the US will probably slam a tariff on our electricity as our definition of clean does not include coal.

#2041 5 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

The thing is, the 1 billion in sales cost them 1.4 billion to generate the sales. That's the problem.

That is such a disingenuous statement.

2 weeks later
#2114 5 years ago

I know it’s all about Elon and his tweet today but I did find this interesting.

https://www.teslarati.com/daimler-ceo-steps-down-mercedes-benz-eqc-tesla-model-x/amp/

Funny that everyone thinks Elon is going to get outed and it’s one of the big boys stepping down for not keeping up. Daimler looking to go younger and apparently not impressed with the “Tesla Killer”

#2137 5 years ago

Musk is not out. He steps down as chairman and remains CEO. He personally pays 20 million fine and Tesla pays 20 million fine. Pretty funny that he gets hit with a bigger fine than any CEO involved in tanking the US economy for a tweet.

#2139 5 years ago

They wanted to make a political statement and he wanted them off his ass. He wrote a cheque and walked. It will be business as usual Monday.

#2141 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

Some mid level guys are worried long term.

Some mid level guys at every company on earth are worried long term. In other news water is wet.

#2154 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Tesla as a company had to also cut a 20 million dollar check. 40 million had to be shelled out for that blunder.

Well for some mathematical perspective, if we are talking $100 the fine would be a Dime for Elon and less than a Nikola for Tesla. It was a wopping 0.001 of Elons net work and 0.0004 for Tesla.

#2167 5 years ago

This cracked me up, Elon drops this on twitter and apparently spends $20,000,000 on new Tesla stock to cover the fine. Nothing like being able to drop an extra $20 million just to troll.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1046676717350268928

Can you embed tweets on Pinside?

#2197 5 years ago

There are so many ways to optimize cost with Tesla. I charge at work for free so I pay basically nothing. Supercharging is time based near me and if you quit around 85-90% like you should its pretty cheap. That last 10-15% is super cost prohibitive. There are free chargers all over the place. It's really just a matter of how much effort you want to put into minimizing the cost. I quickly realized it was a complete waste of time you pay so little compared to fossil I can't be bothered. If its your thing and you enjoy that stuff you can really maximize range and reduce cost. My electricity is 100% emissions free so I smirk every time someone tells me EVs are the same as Fossil cars.

1 week later
#2224 5 years ago
Quoted from oktobernv:

Anyone happen to have a REF Code for a Model S P100D ??
Looking for the 21 " Inch ARACHNID Wheels offer info
Please send PM
Many thanks,
Rob

Not sure what you are looking for anyone that owns a Tesla will have a referral code. They get the rims you just get some free super charging.

#2230 5 years ago

I got 9 yesterday as well, so much new stuff. Sadly my wife took my car to work this morning. Getting code updates on your car is so awesome.

#2237 5 years ago

It was the first site I put in my favorites. That being said favorites didn't actually save for me till I rebooted.

1 week later
#2253 5 years ago

Its up 13% in after hours, it could be mental tomorrow.

1 week later
#2267 5 years ago

I will be interesting to see what will happen if Tesla drops a pickup truck. I think the big issue for Tesla will be the consumers. Even if the truck is incredible people that buy pick ups are super brand loyal. It's the only thing keeping Ford alive. If Tesla manages to swing the pickup market Ford will be in serious trouble.

2 weeks later
#2308 5 years ago
Quoted from rad:

Interested in opinions from Tesla S and/or 3 owners... If you were considering purchasing a used S (85D or 90D with under 25k miles) versus a 3, would you pick the 3 or a used S (85/90D) and why? What options(s) would you make sure to get?
Thanks in advance.

I have only driven the S for a few days as a loaner but I have to say it is a big car. It was far too big for me but before I went Tesla I have always driven smaller European cars. I would take the 3 hands down, its plenty fast enough, way more efficient, still feels like a super nice car. It might not be in the same level of luxury as top tier luxury cars but its still a very nice ride. Autopilot is a must have if you do any kind of highway commuting. The S felt like my Grandfathers Cadillac with a rocket engine under the hood, it's a missile but still big and floaty.

#2320 5 years ago

I love that Rivian just threw the gauntlet down to Tesla. Can't wait to see what Tesla comes back with. The Vivian is a nice looking truck, headlights will take some getting used too. The big three have to be shitting the battle for the pick up may not even be Fossil vs EV, it could be EV vs EV.

#2326 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Rivian doesn't ship until late 2020 or early 2021. That's not throwing the gauntlet down to Tesla. SHIPPING_ the Rivian truck and SUV is throwing the Gauntlet down.
So for now, its a spec sheet, and a 2 year pre-order. We all know how hard it is to go from a nice prototype and website to actual production.
Tesla has plenty of runway and a HUGE head start to get the Tesla truck to market in volume before Rivian does. While also ramping and shipping Model Y in the meantime, based on the Model 3 design.

I don't think you understand what the idiom throwing the gauntlet actually means. It means to tell your competitor or opponent you intend to compete or battle with them. It's exactly what Rivian did, now its up to Tesla to accept and I am sure they will. Tesla has released very little information on their pick up, I guarantee they make adjustments based on the Rivian reveal.

#2329 5 years ago

It's impressive but it does feel like they looked at Tesla and Land Rover and said that works, lets do that.

#2340 5 years ago

Don't underestimate the demand for the EV pick up. People seem to equate the pick up truck with red necks but its really not true at least not in my neck of the woods. Sure we have our fair share of jacked up loud as fuck diesels. We also have a huge number of outdoorsy super green folks that drive pick ups out of the necessity, winter mountain roads with gear. They would hop into an EV in a second. I also know a lot of people in forestry that are super respectful of the environment that would jump. Also up here in BC there is a lot of super green folks with lots of money, if your tradesman, landscaper, doing renovation with that market an EV would be great for your company image. Those guys always drive super nice new trucks because their clients don't like the look of beat up vehicles and predator panel vans in the neighborhood. When a legit EV pick up is available folks in places like Whistler wouldn't be caught dead in a fossil.

#2348 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone heard about the Hyundai Kona EV? Price with tax subsidy should be close to $30k for the lower model. 258 mile range, larger and a good deal cheaper then the Model 3.
https://m.hyundaiusa.com/kona-electric/

Try this guy from Norway he drives a Tesla but he covers and reviews pretty much every EV. He has lots of coverage on the Kona a great long range speed limit race between it and a Tesla. It's when they race cars a long way but have to stay at the speed limit, so its all about what chargers they can hit and how long they charge and how far they can go between charges.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bjornnyland/videos

2 weeks later
#2364 5 years ago

I like the VW, if they can keep the price down they could sell a lot of these. Perfect for young people, college crowd, I don’t know sales numbers but you still see lots of Golfs and Rabbits on the road. They took a hit with the whole diesel thing but this could bounce them right back. The hot hatch has always been strong in Europe.

3 weeks later
#2386 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

How many years do you think Toyota has until they are not making decent profits? I don't see EVs taking the majority of the automobile (cars/trucks/SUVs combined) market for at least 15 years (likely many more years than that unless the battery technology significantly improves).

What do you see as the flaw with current battery tech? I get more than enough range and never having to stop and fill the tank is amazing.

#2388 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It needs to be comparable to current gas cars to to get the masses to buy in. That means 400 to 500 miles of range and only a few minutes to charge. Also, the present batteries are too expensive. Most people cannot afford a car that is $30k or higher. Once the technology is refined and improved then prices will go down as with any technology.
Solid state batteries will hopefully pan out. Toyota is supposedly working on that from what I just read in various articles available from 2017.

Yeah not many cars actually have 500 miles of range, nor does your average person ever drive anywhere near that distance without a break. Once you drive an EV you realize you never spend any time charging it. The car charges itself while you get on with your life. You never actually spend time standing around like you do with a gas car. My wife constantly takes my Tesla with the sole reason being she hates pumping gas. The whole range charging vs filling is really an apples and oranges debate, there is no comparison. I guarantee you spend way more time standing at the pump in a gas car than you spend charging an EV.

#2391 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

What about people that live at an apartment or condo? They won't have home charging access, not even 120 volt connection allowed or available.

Yeah, I guess the debate is more about infrastructure than it is battery tech. 120 volt is basically pointless, I have a wall charger at home but never use it. I can charge at work and there are enough free chargers around. I super charge once or twice a year on road trips and I'm always ready to grab a bite or stretch my legs anyway. Its also very fast to go like 20% to 90%, you find yourself rushing back.

#2400 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I beg to disagree. In three months and two weeks with my car, I have almost exclusively used the wall outlet for it. I have used super chargers three times, only once for a "needed" charge on a trip, and that was for only about 15 minutes. My odometer reads 5671 miles, which means in a day I have averaged about 55 ish miles.
While I charged it a few times on our faster charger right after getting it (mostly to try to coax it into updating the computer as the fast charger is closer to the WiFi signal), it's been happy getting the Wifi signal in the garage lately. I'm not doing any "tricks" to try to keep it on the 120v, but I have now gone since the start of December without plugging it in on the fast charger once. While it rarely gets up to all 267 miles that I have it cut off at overnight during the week (right now, it's charging but at 157 miles), on the weekends when it tends to be plugged in longer, I tend to get it all the way back.
I have been kind of entertaining getting the fast charger just to mount it in the garage and be able to keep the 120v charger with me, but at this time I see no point in spending the money.

How many miles per hour of charge do you get on 120 volt outlet. How many amps does it pull? I thought it was in the 2-4 range and that seems pointless to me. I guess if that is all you have than you have to make due.

#2402 5 years ago

I guess the efficiency hit probably doesn't add up to much money. Hey if it works for you all the power to you. To me it's like using dial up internet just to see how long it takes before you mindlessly pound your head on the desk

#2408 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Efficiency hit isn't from charging, it's from it being in the mid 10s this week, combined with me enjoying seeing how quick I can get to the speed limit from a red light. Cost to charge is the same.
It would totally be like using dial up internet if I was sitting in it and waiting for it to gain X number of miles. At night, that's not a thing.

I was referring to the loss of efficiency using 120 vs 240 you will pay a little more at 120. It may only be a few cents though I haven’t don’t the math. I’m just kidding around about charge speed. I went all in on the wall charger and max amperage and I never use it. In hindsight I could get buy with 120v and I’ll never get back the $750 for wall charger. I would still recommend it though I’m sure one day I’ll need it.

2 weeks later
#2431 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

re: Contradiction: You left off from my quote "at least to me". So, I qualified my statement to me and my circle of car enthusiasts. I've been in the performance/exotic car circles for longer than Tesla has been in existence. When the Model S was initially released, I was very interested in purchasing, because of the uniqueness and yes, exclusivity. The performance was icing on the cake. Many of my friends felt the same way, and many purchased. Now, that the Tesla is becoming more mainstream, many from that same circle, are no longer interested in Tesla. That's just my own anecdotal experience and not based on empirical data, which I know you are fond of And it was just my opinion which I stated up front.
Not sure I would hold up the A Class Mercedes as any benchmark. Mercedes was #1 prior to the A-Class. After, they were second to BMW, and then in 2011, third to Audi. They've regained the market by focusing on premium vehicles and SUVs, not the A class.
re: Pioneers. Many industries. Personal Computers: IBM -> Gateway/Compaq -> Dell. Phones: Blackberry -> Apple. Search Engines: Alta Vista -> Google. Software: Everything -> Microsoft. Most have one thing in common: Tech. Advantages of not being a Pioneer: https://chrislema.com/second-mover-advantage/

Are you really trying to argue that Tesla is better off chasing the niche exotica car company then entering the main stream market? I guess you have been under a rock but the new Roadster has pretty much the entire exotic car market drooling in anticipation.

WhyNot Both (resized).jpgWhyNot Both (resized).jpg
#2433 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

From profitability, yes. Margins are higher. Once you start selling $35K cars to mass markets with razor thin margins that are used to the reliability and fit/finish of a honda or camry, then I forsee lots of complaints. Tesla is already receiving backlash for the handling of warranty claims for the model 3's they sold last year.
It's only my opinion. No need to get bent out of shape over it.

The issue is your opinion has no basis in reality or fact. What did Toyota and its Camry post for profits something like 5 billion. Most exotic cars are owned by parent companies that bury the numbers on the balance sheet because they lose money on them.

#2437 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Ferrari has been more profitable and sales are up 30% since they were divorced from their parent company, Fiat. I think the performance market does just fine. I'd be willing to bet since Toyota has been producing Camry's since the 90's, their margins are much higher than Tesla's 35K Model 3 could ever hope to be. Not an apples to apples comparison in regards to profitability. The problem will be when apples to apples comparisons are made between a 35K model 3 and a Camry by the general buying public in that market sector for fit/finish, quality, reliability and dealer support.
Hope Tesla proves me wrong.

You do realize Toyota makes 5 billion profit compared to Ferrari 4 billion revenue.

#2439 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Sigh...I never compared Ferrari to Toyota. You stated that performance vehicles don't make profit, I disputed that with the example of Ferrari. The whole comparison to Camry, was about market expectations, and what the 35k crowd expects from Reliability, Warranty Support, Fit/Finish, especially when the car is no longer a niche product but enters into the mainstream. If you can't acknowledge that Tesla, RIGHT NOW, is experiencing some very real pains with that, then I don't know what to tell you.

No one said taking over the main stream market was easy. Your point that Tesla is better of trying to stay niche is laughable. The Camry is 100 times the brand and success of any Ferrari. No one gives a shit if elitist put there nose up because now everyone has a Tesla and they don't feel special anymore. The goal and plan has always been to put everyone in in an EV.

My New Years resolution to empty the ignore list just keeps getting harder.

#2444 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Why is Toyota even brought up in any argument? They don't even believe in the Electric disruption! They will just continue to make their Prius that is being traded in for the Model 3 everyday.

Quoted from robertmee:

I think appealing to masses might be a mistake...part of the past allure of Tesla was it's rarity and uniqueness. Once it becomes as ubiquitous as a camry, it's no longer appealing to many. At least to me. I get maybe Musk is trying to spark a revolution, but often the pioneers are left behind when the next Gen enters the fray. Time will tell.

It started with this, that Tesla is losing out because its becoming a Camry. I agree though it's a pointless discussion.

#2446 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

And you lost your cookies because I said "think" and "might"? I forgot in this day and age, when a differing opinion is voiced, best to just shout it down.

I'm not upset at all, I do admit I have never suffered fools. This whole thing that people say things that make no sense and have no basis in reality. Then they endless defend this pointless position because its just their opinion. If you think Tesla can't survive the transition to mainstream so be it, there are plenty of valid reasons and debatable points on the subject. I like exotic cars and me and my elitist friends don't think Tesla is special enough anymore is just being a prat.

#2450 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

So in the span of three posts you've called me an idiot and a fool. Can you not discuss without being condescending? I respect your opinions whether I agree or disagree and since I don't know you, I wouldn't stoop to call you any names.

Actually I said that I don't suffer fools, it is a very common phase or idiom. I stated that your condescending elitist attitude that Tesla is going the way of Camry was you being a prat. I think its accurate I didn't come in a thread for Tesla owners and say the car just isn't special enough anymore. I am not name calling you I telling you straight up my opinion on your behavior. Why is it I have to suffer your opinion but you reduce mine to just name calling. I think I have completely justified my opinion and point of view and have nothing more to add.

#2468 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Ehr...if your car is wet or covered with snow,it falls into your trunk area?!
What!!!??

If you open the trunk quickly and there is a lot of water pooled on it, it can spill into the trunk. The other option is just to open it slowly so there is not a wave of water and it it falls into the gap and runs around the trunk as designed. It is one of those weird things with Tesla owners, every car I have ever owned if you open a door, window or trunk and the car is covered in water and especially snow, it gets in side the car. It is a pretty big story on a Tesla though, plenty of outrage online.

#2473 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Hahaha no outrage here brother!
I absolutely love the model 3 and Tesla as a whole.
Big Elon fanboy here!
Just looks wrong,that’s all,relax..

Didn't mean you personally, just if you go to Tesla Motors Club or other similar online forums there is lots of these types of issues. Also lots of issues with weather. The only one that bothers me is the wipers don't stay lifted off the glass, no idea how they thought that was a good idea. Most of the issues just seem regular weather issues.

#2476 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

This is the a thing that is more of a problem on Teslas than other cars? Serious question. My 3 gets WAY less snow in it than my Sentra did. Water too.
Admittedly, the Sentra wasn't exactly in the "luxury" class so I have no idea what I should have been expecting.
The Leaf gets way more snow in through the doors than the 3, but doesn't have trunk issues, since it's a hatch...

My opinion is in general its the same as other cars. My unscientific opinion is decent amount of Tesla customers are taking their first jump into this price point. With all the hype about Tesla and them opening up the bank account they are hyper focused on every issue in the car. Many of these issues are completely normal. Seriously if someone came up to you and said there is something wrong with my car when the trunk is open and its raining, the rain can get in; this kind of complaint is very common on Tesla forums. Another super common complaint is people are concerned the brake lights don't work under regen. First they do and there is a clear indication on the screen. What makes me laugh is people have been gearing down in standards with out brake lights since the dawn of the automobile. So many Tesla owners post concerns they are going to get rear ended. My previous car was a VW Eos it has the same style trunk and also had frameless windows so most of the complaints are completely normal for me. The only true fault that I have found and its hasn't mattered to me yet is the wipers wont stay off the glass in service mode. They only lift far enough to change them. Its nice to be able to lift them off the glass when you park and its snowing so they don't freeze to the glass. I live on the coast and park indoors but I do like to lift the wipers when I go snowboarding. Oh and don't forget about the spare tire outrage.

#2483 5 years ago

Range is funny in the cold, the car itself doesn't seem to lose any efficiency. I should preface that my temperature change is from mid 20c to down just above 0. I can still get almost the same range. My wife on the other hand doesn't get anywhere near what I get. Its all about the heater, if you set the cabin to the low to mid 20s expect to lose 30-40% of your range. If you like me and comfortable driving an air cooled VW, all I had to do to maintain my summer range is put my Aero covers back on. I'm not anywhere near -20 though.

2 weeks later
#2504 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

In case anyone is keeping score. I'm actually surprised nissan is doing that good, I keep hearing battery issues even on the latest model.
https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-is-worlds-1-selling-ev-but-2-might-surprise-you

That is the weirdest way to keep score I have ever seen. I wonder how many of the 100,000 pre 2014 are actually still functional.

#2506 5 years ago

That feels like letting the lunatics run the asylum. Consumer Reports is pulling its recommendation because of a survey. So consumer reports just decided the internet can do its job for them. I thought they were the experts, I want an expert opinion not the results of a survey. I'm not trying to bash consumer reports but this thing that everyone just goes whatever way the nutters on the internet is going is madness.

As a guy that works in gaming, you learn quickly the very vocal minority on the internet are not the people you look to for guidance on your product. If we listened them every game sucks, its a bug riddled mess, everyone that worked on it is lazy, the companies are evil empires and its all our fault there is gun violence in America. Oh and of course be every game should free with no micro transactions, loot boxes or DLC.

If anyone is actually interested in a recommendation on Tesla just ask someone driving one and maybe ask them what they owned before.

#2512 5 years ago

Anyone else get the new update, lots of fun new stuff in it, sadly the memory corruption issue appears to be back.

#2517 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

I agree. Tesla boasts about crash testing but this seems like it needs to be addressed.

I think its all relative, a crash with catastrophic impact that it compromises the structure of the car and batteries it is very doubtful the doors are going to just open with the handle. In this level of crash the handle just breaks off in your hand when you yank on it. It super common for fireman to hack people out of cars. It basically a rare bonus if the handle works. The whole thing that every Tesla crash is a news story, drastically skews the perspective.

#2520 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Ya, it just happened here on Monday. A city bus ran a red light and T-boned a Tesla. Theses a dash cam video, the Tesla looks to be going through a green light when the bus hits it. The Tesla did nothing wrong, yet this made the news.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/guelph-transit-city-bus-tesla-crash-winter-1.5034111

I saw that on Tesla Motors Club, looked to me like the bus just slid the light in the snow. Tesla might have anti-locked as well the way both vehicles hardly react, both guys probably standing on the brakes but the vehicles just keep on going. 100% the bus at fault as he had the red.

#2521 5 years ago

Looks like Tesla just made the 35K Model 3 available many people thought this was just another dream that would never happen.

1 week later
#2552 5 years ago

I'll never understand why people have such issue with the name autopilot. Its exactly what the feature is like and a great name. You turn it on for long drives on the highway and it takes much of the workload away. Basically city driving is your take off and landing and you autopilot the long boring sections. Anyone that has ever used it for a several hour drive understands how fresh and alert you arrive. Drive all day through the country and into a city at rush hour and your fatigued. Autopilot that all day drive and you are alert and ready to go on arrival it is honestly like you didn't just drive all day. Maybe its just people have no idea how autopilot on a plane actually works or why it was invented.

2 weeks later
#2571 5 years ago

I love my Model 3 but the whole FSD fiasco is a joke. They suckered me into paying for it when I configured and it was a scam. It is the one thing about Tesla that I hate, never give them money in advance and don't believe a word they say about FSD.

#2574 5 years ago
Quoted from luch:

sorry but what is FSD ?

Full Self Driving

#2575 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

But the sad part is that when, not if, there is a significant accident "caused" by a Tesla on autopilot, it's probably going to derail things for a very, very long time - simply due to perception and media. Not to mention the financial implications that will cause Tesla to be heavily sued by anyone involved in a Tesla autopilot accident. It's one thing for the driver to be sued, it's another for the company because people will go after a LOT more $$$ from Tesla than if an individual caused the accident. And now there will be at least two parties suing - the owner of the Tesla and whomever else was involved in the accident. There's a lot of hurdles to overcome, and laws to be made.

There has already been several significant accidents caused by autopilot and even deaths. There is no expectation that it will be flawless it only has to be better statistically than a person.

#2577 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

current system is 20fps. new system is 2,000fps. barring issues like sun or bad road markers, it will start reacting to any situation FAR faster than any human can.

I know that's the line they are selling but its just marketing. I'm a software engineer and don't get fooled with the whole neural network, machine learning, 2000 fps jargon. When you say barring issues like the sun that is a massive thing to just overlook. I guess it will be safe if you only drive indoors. Autopilot is one thing and its pretty impressive for what it is but it has glaring issues detecting stationary objects and falls apart completely with poor road markings. They have not shown any evidence they are anywhere near FSD nor do they have the hardware required to get to the level of autonomy they are boasting.

#2579 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most, if not all, of the autopilot accidents were attributed to mostly human error. Even when autopilot was at fault, technically the human component did something wrong (ie did not have their hands on the wheel like Tesla instructed, not paying attention, etc) that would have made the accident avoidable. Tesla even points this out.
Full autonomous autopilot is a different animal - there will be no human driver to pass all or part of the blame to. Public perception may be the biggest hurdle to overcome. And the first accidents will be major news. There's no doubt to me that full autopilot will be much, much safer than human driving, especially in the long run. I'd be tempted to say that I'd feel safer with my own daughter driving on autopilot than driving themselves (beginning driver).

Tesla always points the finger at the human being that is to be expected. Anyone that has driven any distance on autopilot quickly sees its faults. It is great under known conditions but it falls apart in a hurry at any type of unknown. Autopilot does a good job on well marked and maintained highways but its dumber than Wile E Coyote, and would follow lines right into a painted tunnel.

#2581 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I jumped in and paid for the $2000 FSD "upgrade. Why?
Includes a HW3 upgrade. And they are tying many new features to the FSD package. SO even if FSD doesn't ship for 2 years, many features will require the upgrade.
$2K was a relative deal so I jumped on it.
Although I'm jumping ship from my Model 3 Performance the day the Model Y Performance ships. Or some other company makes a better car.

$2K is a deal and I its worth it just for the hardware. They suckered me for the extra thousand and I'm not impressed how shady they have been about it. I don't care about any of the other pricing, we made a deal and that was the price at the time. The FSD though is another matter.

#2583 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I disagree with this slightly. I think that anyone who drives a long distance on auto pilot who understands the limitations of the system quickly sees it's advantages.
I have avoided minimally two accidents because I had auto pilot on, and it allowed me to check my surroundings without feeling like I might have something pop up in front of me and cause a big issue. In one case, I was on two lane road that merged to one, and I saw a car coming up in the lane beside me in my rear view mirror. Since I was on autopilot and I knew that it was going to pay attention to where the wheel should be going forward, I was able to turn and look directly at the car which then decided to try merging directly into my left side (they were almost parallel with me). Autopilot allowed me to visually look at something that I wouldn't have otherwise done, and take corrective action to get out of the situation.
But, if you are someone who puts it on and then reads a book or watches a video or something, you're not using it right. Right now, it definitely has certain limits, including some that I think should be easier to fix than they apparently are like my car phantom brakes under an interchange when the geo-fencing worries the car is on the road above what I'm on where the speed has to be reduced for the curve, so I'll drop from 63 to 40 and then a few seconds later get back to 63 thanks to that. If you're aware of the limits and where / why it has issues, it is easy to correct them. For me, I just now drive with my foot on the "go" pedal there, and it works. It has gotten significantly better, I think.

As much as I like autopilot, and as much as I agree with the company that they needed to redefine what it was to make the entry level cheaper for new car buyers, I agree they did this terribly stupidly.
I think they should have made three levels, AP, EAP, FSD.
AutoPilot would be just what it was it is, and could be tacked on for either $2k or $3k.
Enhanced AutoPilot would have Navigate on Autopilot, basic summon, etc - AKA the stuff that people who bought EAP have as part of that package. This would cost enough after regular AutoPilot to make it $5k to get to this level.
FSD should have additional things. Enhanced Summon, the Stop Light thing for autopilot (which sounds fascinating, awesome, and terrifying all at once), and more stuff like that. This could have been $3k then.
If they reduced the costs to make it so that no one was paying "less" than what they had before when they hadn't delivered ANYTHING for FSD yet, I would have no issue with it. If they delivered FSD features and then reduced the price, no issues. And I don't feel like anyone who got FSD was expecting full autonomy before they reduced it, but they were fairly expecting *something*.
Do that pricing for a year and then lower it perhaps, but it was stupid. AND, I didn't have FSD, and I still felt it was dumb as could be.

Don't get me wrong Autopilot is amazing and I know it makes me a better driver. My comment was more to people saying they would rather let the car drive on autopilot than let their daughter drive. For a long drive between cities autopilot makes you so much better a driver. If you drive all day then into a city at rush hour, your fatigued and brain dead. You drive on autopilot all day and into a city at rush hour you feel sharp and ready to go. It does a wonderful job at reducing your stress and fatigue. I could not live without it. That being said its nowhere near autonomous driving any kind of issue with the road or lines and it can go crazy. I took my 3 through a mountain pass just last weekend and any stretch that the plows, ice and sand have worn off the lines it's pretty much a death trap. It just alerts like crazy, swerving all over the road before just disabling. Another stretch had new lanes with old and new lines and it tried to follow the old lines right into the concrete median.

#2588 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Note that when I said this, I was talking about the future when full, autonomous autopilot is integrated into society. Not today's partial autopilot.

Ah, autopilot will never be autonomous your talking about two different things. Autopilot is just traffic aware cruise control and basic auto steer to keep the car in the lane. FSD or Full Self Driving is autonomous driving technology. Autopilot is like it is in a plane it can't take off or land but it can keep the plane on course once its in the air. Autopilot cant drive the car it can just keep it at the right speed and between the lines on the highway.

#2590 5 years ago

My two cents on the two features.
Autopilot, it's a gift from the heavens in the grind of rush hour. If your daily commute contains any busy highway during rush hour do not hesitate. I dont know if it comes with auto lane change or not anymore. It sucks without lane change, so if it doesn't come with that than forget it.
Full Self Driving, this has a bunch of stuff now so I'll give me opinion on each.
-Autopark, it takes for ever. Drives so slow it just annoys the driver and everyone waiting for you to just hurry up and park. Also not to be trusted parking near pick ups trucks, their bumper can be too high and it wont see them and it will hit them.
-Navigate on Autopilot, this is the ability for the car to take highway interchanges and exits. Again it tends to go way to slow on them, and its flaky nags you to change lanes and makes errors. I personally never use it and find it annoying, it often seems to put me in the wrong lane. Depends on map data so it might work better depending on location.
-Summon, its an interesting trick and I have used once to move the car a couple feet to avoid a puddle. Not worth money but fun to show your friends. If you had a super narrow garage and you had to park in it everyday it might have some value. Generally flaky though and doesn't control great with the app.
-Everything else is just a promise to deliver at some point in the future.

1 week later
#2607 4 years ago

Phone works flawlessly for me. So does autopilot for that matter. I use it everyday to and from work and I have never had an issue. I think it may depend on road quality. It has failed when driving on a road that lines where worn off but that is to be expected.

#2613 4 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Tried the new Nav On Autopilot without lane confirmation during my commute home last night. Very impressive. While I think it's a sign of good things to come, I think we are light years away from full self driving ... I'd like to be wrong.

The auto lane change is interesting, its clearly very early. In ideal conditions it work ok but in actual traffic its a bit of a disaster. As far as my success percentage its pretty low. It doesn't have any ability to anticipate and often slows down to get in behind cars with clear road in front of them. If it would just accelerate slightly it would have an easy change instead of trying to squeeze in behind. If its a nice open space I'll let the car try it. If its congested at all I just take over and make the change. It far to often goes half way then tries to swerve back or just waits and waits and does nothing. It also doesn't understand that its legal to cross a solid white line. Our car pool lanes are typical a solid white line with shot sections of dashed line near exits. The dashed sections are not long enough for the car to make it slow lane changes and it doesn't know what to do when the dashed line become solid. It also does not understand that the line is solid ahead. The moment the line returns to solid the car just panics. A solid white line just means use extra caution when you cross it.

I completely agree they are years from FSD but they will never get there without people using the features and letting them collect data.

1 week later
#2628 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Do any M3 owners have regrets about not getting an S?
How long did it take you to get used to just having the large center display?

I much prefer the 3 to the S, both beautiful cars. The S is big like you Grandfathers Cadillac big. I had an S as a loaner and could not wait to get my 3 back. If you enjoy the feeling of an old school full size sedan than seriously consider an S. If your in the city and used to just zipping around then go for the 3. Autopilot is a must have if you do regular highway driving, FSD is just a wish and a prayer so I would not recommend paying for it until they deliver something.

#2642 4 years ago

Given the earnings I thought the stock would take a much harder hit.

#2667 4 years ago
must-resist-answering-a-troll (resized).jpgmust-resist-answering-a-troll (resized).jpg
#2707 4 years ago

I think you need to get behind the wheel of Tesla for about a week to really understand the difference. It's not like a car but different, it feels like an evolution. I honestly hate driving my wifes 2016 M Class BMW it just feels so antiquated.

#2709 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

My point was talking about the masses and not individual people. Fans of these cars will of course make them work and adapt. I know Tesla and other companies will work on solutions for commercial vehicles and other applications. I just see an uphill climb changing an entire industry. One example I can think of is Harley Davidson. They are fixing to sell an electric motorcycle for $30,000. It might be absolutely wonderful and make other bikes seem antique but you can buy a Harley sport bike for less than a third of that cost. Doubt oil changes and fill ups are going to save you more than $20,000. I'm sure there will be some buyers who love electric bikes and will pay the premium. That doesn't mean all bikes will be electric in a few years.

The reality is a major part of owning an EV is tied to ones belief system. If the biggest factor is financial you will always find a better short term deal with an ICE car. I work in a young tech savy industry and I suspect 90% of the people I work with have purchased their last fossil. It may be 5 or more years before their next car purchase but when the time comes only an EV will be considered. That being said this is a demographic that the majority believe as soon as one can afford an EV driving anything else is immoral. I find it very interesting how in this demographic it is now a check box of success.

#2711 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Not "covered".
Remember, commercial vehicles (Class 7 & 8 ) are more than tractors pulling 45,000 pounds of Tesla cars. A big difference when you have 60,000# of diesel fuel in a petroleum tank trailer. Or, like the I-94 corridor in Michigan allows up to 120,000# with an eight axle trailer. Coils of steel weigh a lot.
Then there are the heavy-haul trailers made by Trail King, Cozad, Talbert and others with stub axles with eight tires per axle so 64 tires. The trailer alone weighs 20 tons. They can haul 200,000# or more. Electric tractors are not yet up to the task.
Someday, maybe.

The Tesla Semi has the spec to pull more than the 80,000 limit for a truck with 18 wheels. So it can easily pull a liquid tanker. Elon also loved to boast that it will tug of war uphill with any tractor in its class. Of course there are always going to be specialized vehicles. The goal is not to end the burning of fossil fuels, the goal is to reduce it to a level the planet can naturally handle.

#2728 4 years ago

It’s crazy that Tesla is getting hit with a 25% tariff on its new autopilot computer. The chips are made in Austin Texas but it’s assembled in Shanghai. Apparently Shanghai was the only place that could do the assembly in the time required. Tesla is the highest percentage American made automobile, what ever happened to American brand loyalty. Why do you guys attack your own companies? Elon is Canadian maybe it’s time to move that factory to a place less politically hostile.

#2730 4 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

If Elon has a U.S. security clearance (Space X) he would have to give up any allegiance to any foreign nation.
But, I’m sure that doesn’t impact where Tesla decides to build a factory; however, I don’t think Canada is the answer for assembling custom hardware on the cheap.

I’m not thinking of assembling hardware. Just curious how long they will keep production in a country that is hostile to their success. Especially considering they are already building a new factory elsewhere.

#2733 4 years ago

Canada has tried to exclude Tesla buyers from EV rebates but that is because of our more socialist views regarding division of wealth. The tax break on EV is meant to allow lower income people the chance to get into an EV. It was not meant as a hand out or tax break for the wealthy. Tesla quickly got around it and they qualify for the rebate. Canada is pretty keen to work with an automobile makers and keep those jobs in Ontario.

With so much lower cost manufacturing in Mexico and Canada why does it seem like your trying to make it hard on the few American companies that stay.

#2735 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Who is making it hard for Tesla? Tesla received state and federal tax credits larger than I think any other company has. 1.5 billion dollars in EV tax credits from the federal government's tax program alone.
I get that its hard to manufacture in the USA (which is why I have lots of respect for Stern for keeping the jobs here, and Spooky, for starting up in a very difficult business). But I don't think you can say Tesla hasn't had every advantage here in the USA. They've been around since 2003, been public since 2010, and posted two quarters of profit in that time. That profit during those quarters was lower than the subsidies the company received through purchase tax rebates and ZEV tax credits sold to other businesses during those quarters. I don't think its 'making it hard' for Tesla to point out that despite record subsidies they still aren't profitable. And it's fair IMHO to question whether a luxury car brand is the right place to spend those subsidized dollars. I want to see US businesses succeed but not if they're never going to be profitable on their own.
I mean, its probably way off topic but I'm not against subsidies in general. I am a fan of local initiatives which attempt to foster small business creation through grants (think: people who want to open restaurants or auto repair places in their local neighborhood but lack the capital to outfit a commercial kitchen in a rented space or the money to install a car lift). But IMHO Tesla has taken enough public subsidy. I think its fair to say if you haven't made money in 15 years of being in business you probably aren't ever going to make money.

When your hitting American companies with 25% tariffs on American products that doesn't seem helpful. The whole subsidies things is a whole other debate and I honestly don't know what to believe. One side says Tesla gets all the subsidies and the other side says oil and big auto have been getting monster subsidies for 50 years. I honestly don't know what the actual truth is and I don't have enough information to form an opinion one way or the other. I didn't think about it that deeply I was just surprised to see the US Government hit an American company with trade war tariffs and deny them an exception. Its probably way to political though and this not the place to talk about it.

#2739 4 years ago

Rich Rebuilds loves to be all angst to Tesla and create hype for his channel. I enjoyed his early stuff but his shtick grew tiresome for me. Clearly an SE made a mistake and was writing to the flash memory more than they should. This is far from unusual, I've seen this kinda of thing myself many times with software. I'm sure they can easily fix it, Tesla has never been a shining example of coding practice. They are clearly pushing the limit and there bug acceptance is pretty high. It painfully obvious to anyone that has owned one of their cars that there software is nowhere near mature. Its one thing to hack into software and criticize it, its an entirely different thing to actually create it.

Also Tesla is no different than every other technology company. Apple, Google, Microsoft... none of them ever want anyone to touch their hardware or software. It's just the nature of capitalism.

#2742 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

watching that screen hit the card over and over and not even being attached, I can only imagine how hard it's hit during use. I would assume every programmer has the common knowledge that memory cards have about 100,000 cycles before they go bad. If you're hitting the same sectors that often it doesn't take a genius to realize you'll hit that mark pretty quick (say 4 years). The fact that the chip is hard soldered makes it even worse. That chip should only be written to at the factory, and then every time an update comes along. Any data collecting should be done on a separate drive. But I'm also not a car designer, maybe it needs to be hard wired to ensure it's always safely connected. Maybe an SD card could shake loose during driving and cause issues. I just think it should be more serviceable.

I just think you need to take this stuff with a grain of salt. Rich Rebuilds like a year ago was taking apart a his Tesla with a butter knife. Now because he has a youtube channel people consider him some kind of expert and the Robin Hood of Tesla for the common man. He is entertainment and good humor but just watch how it turned out when the tried to put a Tesla battery in a Disney car and you can see how much expertise they bring to the table. This is also a very good example of why Tesla does not want amateurs messing around with their cars. Yes it looks like they uncovered a bug, all software has bugs and I'm sure Tesla will address it.

2 weeks later
#2755 4 years ago

If your buying a car purely for financial reasons obviously any new car is not the way to go.

I agree they are the plasma of TV's that is why my plasma is bolted to the wall and specific models are highly sought after and people pay a premium for them. Plasma TV went out because they are very high quality with very low margins. The industry discovered most people will pay the same money for a crap TVs that they have better margins on. Why would they sell $1000 TV that costs $900 to make and is awesome if people will spend $1000 on a crap TV that cost $500 to manufacture.

#2758 4 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

Not sure what TV's you are comparing to but the new 55/65" Samsung or LG OLED blows away my Panasonic Plasma big time.
I agree buying a new car on financial reasons alone is a losing game but paying 2-3 times the amount just to have an electric car isn't great either. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Tesla but I feel they are going to evolve and drop in price in the next few years and then the government will impose the electric car vehicle tax. That is coming very soon since they wont' get you with a gas tax. Gotta get those taxes.

How many year gap was there between Plasma and OLED? OLED had nothing to do with Plasma going out and they are just now coming down in price. The idea that Tesla’s or EVs are going to be worthless is laughable. As is the idea that its better to wait till the government switch’s from rebates to an imaginary tax.

1 week later
#2799 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Anyone agree or disagree with this article? I tend to agree and not just about Tesla's screen. Trying to use any fixed screen, phone or tablet sized, when even driving as a passenger sucks.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90356020/3-reasons-why-teslas-dashboard-touch-screens-suck

It only sucks for people that are stubborn to progress. This is the same tired argument they have used against touch screens for 20 years. Haptic feedback is only useful for tasks with no other form of feedback to the operator. Driving a car has almost none of these. The controls and UI in my wife’s BMW are a complete disaster it has a non touch screen display and this ridiculous knob. I just use my phone. Remember when they said no one would use a phone without a keyboard or at least number buttons. It’s just being two steps behind, who even knows a phone number or dials it anymore.

#2804 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I do think the physical keyboard was easier to use though.. muscle memory / feeling out the keys is a useful thing, the article isn't wrong about that. i.e., I needed auto correct far less with real keys than I do now. So, it's a compromise not a slam dunk IMHO.
Did you all catch the Rivian 'pull out kitchen' from earlier this month:
https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-r1t-envisions-mobile-kitchen-overlanding/

If you aren't looking at the keys and are watching the letters appear on screen that is all the feedback you need. If you learned to type on a keyboard its going to be easier. My kids can type at least twice as fast on a screen than they can on a keyboard. They also type on a screen without looking at all because they learned to text holding their phones under the desk in the classroom so not to get caught. Its only easier because your old and learned using the crutch of feeling the keys. Muscle memory works just as well without touching anything.

I personally think Rivian is going the wrong direction with their pick up. The green camping adventure crowd is not that big a market as compared to the working man, company pick up, red neck demographic. They don't want a pull out kitchen they want a tough lean truck. Companies buy fleets of work trucks.

#2806 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on both fronts.. as a software engineer, I type all day long and still prefer keys vs screens (hey, my PC keyboard is still a physical keyboard!) as well as I think Rivian is smart here.. this adventure niche they are carving out will be around even after Ford/Chevy/GM show up with EV trucks.. so, it has more longevity to it (smaller market, sure.. but perfect for a startup) than being creamed by the big 3 later and having their market eroded overnight. Will it always be a boutique thing, sure. do you have to be as big as Ford to be successful? No..

I'm a software engineer myself and actually did a lot of work on touch screens as part of factory automation. I was involved in all touch screen vs actual button almost 20 years ago. There are use cases for both but there is no issue with the touch screen in a car. Its the perfect use case for it. All of the actions on the screen are secondary. All the primary operations of the car use physical controls. It's great UI.

As to Rivian I think Tesla made the right move with their semi and will do the same with their pick up. You go after the fleet business first, you sell to the people that buy big numbers. Tesla has major orders in hand with the Budweiser, Amazon, Pepsi of the world. (I can't remember the actual companies so that list may be inaccurate) When they market their pick up I would not be surprised if they don't go the same route. Rivian will probably course correct now that, is it Ford and Amazon, have come in as major investors? Sorry I again can't remember who bought into Rivian.

#2809 4 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

It was Ford that bought into Rivian.

I looked it up Ford is in for $500M, Amazon is in for $700M and Standard Chartered Back in is for $200M. I gotta think Amazon is going to get a fleet of these as delivery trucks first.

2 months later
#2866 4 years ago

Kinda interesting viewpoint.

I love my Tesla but that is a little much, I thought it was going to be tongue and cheek with the whole conspiracy thing but those guys are freebasing the Kool-aid.

#2869 4 years ago

Yah, they’ve definitely chugged the kool-aid back.
But I’ve also heard from other theorizers that “all cars will eventually look like Tesla model 3s.” Basically the model 3 slips through the air better then an F-1 race car. In the quest for fuel efficiency, aerodynamics will eventually come into play, and the model 3 is already leading the pack.

All that really is, is the smooth flat undercarriage and minimal grill only possible in an EV, frameless windows and the shaved door handles. None of it is new, groundbreaking or exclusive to Tesla. Removing the mirrors is the next major change that will come as far as aerodynamics. Cars have been moving toward a common shape long before Tesla. All cars striving for efficiency are aerodynamic. Tesla is just masterful at good marketing that everyone is following them. When really all car companies just use math and physics.

#2871 4 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Tesla does absolutely 0 advertising.

I hear this a lot and they may not pay for traditional ad space or commercials but they certainly have marketing. They use particular phrasing, keywords and everything including video is on brand just like everyone else. Their aerodynamics and efficiency is a huge part of their marketing. Other car companies have not made this a major part of their branding but that does not mean Tesla invented it. The whole "slips through the air better than an F1 car" or "in the future all cars will look like the model 3" came out of a marketing department.

The whole no car has the range of a 2013 S is totally marketing. Technically the 85kw was rated for 265 the 60kw was 208. A Hyundai is rated for 258 if you pretend they two cars in the same class and cost than I guess you can make that claim. Again its not that Tesla is so far ahead its just that 250 miles is what makes sense.

#2873 4 years ago
Quoted from Adams:

My Model 3 gets 325 miles. The current long range Model S gets 370.
People do want more range, it's just expensive/difficult to get more into a production car.
I do think it says something that tesla offers 100mi more range than any other manufacturer
One thing I didn't really appreciate before owning an EV was what "range" really means and why range anxiety is a thing.
To keep the battery in better condition, you only charge it to ~80% normally (only charging to 100% for long trips). If you try to charge whenever it gets down to 20% in fear of running out of charge, that means you're really only using 60% of the battery capacity. This is good for the battery life, but if your car only has a 250 mile "range" that means you're actually charging it every 150 miles. If you have a home charger and plug it in every night maybe not a big deal, but if you rely on outside charging that's 150 miles between fillups is a LOT. My Model 3 gets almost 200 Mi between charges which is better, but if I could buy a car that went significantly farther, I would appreciate that.

I own a Model 3 LR myself the debate is not about range. My point is Tesla is not the only car company capable of building an EV with range. There are plenty of great EVs out there with respectable range. I was just pointing out this whole no one can make an EV with the range of a 2013 Model S is just marketing BS.

1 month later
#2896 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Are these that fun to drive? Don't they feel to luxury compared to sport cars?

The reverse is true they feel way more sporty than they feel luxury. The fit, finish and service on a Tesla is the biggest gap compared to other luxury sedans especially the German ones. What will impress you over the competition is the performance and how fun they are to drive. The accuracy and response of single pedal driving will amaze you. I find it even more impressive outside the legal bounds. It feels just as sporty on a late night mountain highway at 225km (140mph) as it does with regular driving.

1 week later
#2911 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

What colors did you guys get?
Should I get standard range plus or performance?

I have Grey LR RWD, if you the kind of person that will a push a car hard on the road or take it to the track then get performance. I suspect a lot of the people getting the performance will never push the car harder than a SR+ does. Any Tesla is plenty quick enough if all your going to do is launch on occasion so people new to an EV can experience it. If you enjoy having the flashy version I don't think the average Joe really recognizes the performance at a glance anyway so not really worth it for looks.

3 weeks later
#2927 4 years ago

Damn, looks like Tesla isn't doomed not a bad earnings and looks like everyone is jumping back on the wagon.

P.S. I love that some US media is running that sales are down 2% in the US still trying to push the whole doom and gloom narrative.

3 weeks later
#2934 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

So seems like it's the best EV out there and real competion will at least take another year so I'm thinking of getting one next week.
2 questions for owners:
- Isn't the rear view window really small when driving?
- Do you recommend Long Range or Performance? Price is not the issue.
Thanks a lot in advance!

The review depends on what your used to, for me it was pretty much the same but I drove a hard top convertible before and it had a tiny fold up rear window. If your used to sitting high in an SUV with a big flat rear window the Tesla is going to take some getting used to, you look up and out the back so its not the best view of the road.

Long Range Vs Performance with out considering cost is a landslide for the performance. That comparison is nonsensical the performance is the superior vehicle in ever aspect.

#2937 4 years ago

I should add I have the LR RWD bought it with Areo and run those rims as my winters. I bought a nice set of 19s for summers. I love my long range but I have topped it out and the performance has longer legs and way more horsepower. If your considering performance and money is no option I assume your the kind of guy that more horsepower is always better. If your just going to do daily driving the LR has more than enough for that. If you want to play Steve McQueen from Bullitt and get a little crazy the performance is totally the way to go. I guess where you live would be a big factor are you going to have a chance to take it out and open it up. The LR will do 140 mph are you going to take advantage of the Performance 160 mph also 4 vs 3 seconds 0-60 is huge difference.

#2940 4 years ago
Quoted from Adams:

Is there really a big difference? My model 3 is the fastest car I've ever driven. 0 to 60 is still faster than a BMW M3 or Z4.
Now I'm curious to try a performance model to compare.

It's all the perspective sure the Model 3 LR is a quick little car, but its not a super car, the Performance is super car territory.

2 months later
#3040 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Not certain this "Change" as you put it, is real, more like hype. Gasoline vehicles, especially hybrids, are superior in so many ways to pure EV, range, power, hauling and towing. The theoretical efficiency of batteries will soon max out. People enjoy pulling RV's, driving motorhomes, make their living with tractor trailers loaded to the brim with goods.
The freedom a diesel or petrol engine offers has not yet been duplicated.
As I research more in-depth on build quality of Tesla, parts availability, repair options they seem more and more to be a disposable car, an expensive one at that. When something I own becomes impossible for me to repair or a local shop to repair it is non-viable.

I always find the freedom of gasoline or diesel an interesting concept. What percentage of locations have electricity as compared to fuel pumps. I've never understood the whole gas is more available narrative. If you really need long range its probably easier and safer to carry batteries than it is to carry liquid fuel. Solar charging trailers are available and they work anywhere.

#3050 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Despite solar the primary source of electricity for electric vehicles will come from nuclear power plants. The first waste from nuclear production /experimentation is still here, as is all nuclear waste ever produced. It will stay around,and hazardous, for 85000 years. There is no "Disposal" method, nowhere to put it, nobody wants it.
Electricity produced by nuclear power is not Green. You do nothing to help the Planet by using electric vehicles unless 100% of recharging is performed using solar, wind, an impossible task unless your trips are confined to a small area.
The psychological benefits are immense though, as it makes one feel good.

It all depends on your location, I use 100% renewable electricity in a nuclear free zone. Where I live we run 95% renewable and that 5% is remote locations that I never use. The whole point is change, electricity can be 100% clean renewable energy, if where you live they are doing it wrong its time for change. There is no clean fossil fuel so they faster we get off them the better. The whole electricity is dirty argument is nonsense. I love how you pretend solar and wind is the only way to make electricity.

#3103 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

There is definitely room for improvement in the car servicing department. I wouldn't expect Tesla to fix many issues visiting homes like that unless simple problem, though. Paying for mechanics travel time and a large tool truck cannot be cheap.

I pretty sure Tesla does the majority of its repairs with its mobile rangers. There are a lot of Tesla’s where I work and they always push for mobile service. The service is incredible, book with the app they come to you and do the repair while your at work and shoot you a text when they are done. They even donated 5 chargers so we have a charging station at work.

#3113 4 years ago

Damn, is Tesla still doomed, stock is mental in after hours.

1 week later
#3122 4 years ago

Anyone out there playing with secret code that has recently come to light? Not sure if i should share but its easy to find. It is crazy fun, just pure horsepower, turns your Tesla into old school American muscle.

2 weeks later
#3135 4 years ago

I'm not sure any vehicle (I meant car) is going to sit 3 comfortably with a car seat in a single row. That being said they are kids I'm sure they are accustomed to being stuffed into the back seat with book bags and crap.

#3137 4 years ago

I would say go for it, you will be very happy but on occasion your kids will be cramped for sure. I wouldn't put Flex in the car category, if you want comfort in the back you would need to stick to a vehicle that size. The model Y would only give you a bit more head room and I slightly higher drive height, you would have to go X to get comparable in size to your Flex and that is a whole other level of payment.

#3139 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Thanks for the info. On the used Tesla site you can actually get a 2016 X with fairly low mileage for under 60k. Prob is I know 1st gen X had some issues with fitment and leaks on the gull wing doors

The X is way more car compared to the Y or 3. If you can get one for a similar price point I would go X all the way especially with a family. The interior space in an X is an entirely different level. Go to a Tesla dealer and take a look. Tesla has their fair share of little issues but they are have really improved at dealing with them. Buying direct from Tesla I'm sure they will address any issues or concerns you have. A friend just bought an older Model S from a used car lot and Tesla has been really great with him. They showed him a lot of good will and it wasn't even a car they sold.

6 months later
#3208 3 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

While you are sitting in your garage in Park

I have browsed Pinside during my commute many times. The browser is fully functional when you’re on autopilot just can’t watch videos.

1 month later
#3216 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

But since then they have unveiled Full self driving beta and the result is awesome! That will propel them and their profitability to a new level. Loving this car.

I dunno if I would call the results awesome. It is so entertaining to watch the videos though. People are so excited to try and the whole time they know the car could kill them. The beta test is the worst testing environment I can imagine. Take a bunch of young people with virtually no professional driving or testing experience and pile them in a tesla with all the distractions of cell phones and trying to make content for social media and send them on the public streets. It really is the worst (and therefore amazing) reality TV. This is a massive step to far and a complete disregard for safety. The diabolical evil genius of Tesla just offloading all the liability to the Tesla hard core is impressive.

#3218 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure what video you watched but they seemed very selective in the dozen or less people that got the beta. Yeah I guess you could just run this on a desk top computer forever for your test but I think this works. Luckily, nobody is being forced to test it. My car is ready when they are.

Or you could hire a "dozen" professional drivers that can handle a situation when it goes wrong. Some qualified people with a basic understanding of how to test and do controlled testing on public streets. Ah where is the fun in that lets just turn it loose on our completely unqualified but most hard core fans and watch the hilarity. It works great for Tesla its free and when it goes badly they can just say hey they volunteered and we told them to pay attention its not our fault. Very selective is pretty funny, I'm in the beta testing program for Canada, I was selected when they changed the pricing and my enrollment was automatic.

#3220 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Well we have no idea what internal testing protocols are at Tesla that are done prior to the beta being released to the public. Elon's other gig *is* literal rocket science so I think he understands the value of disciplined testing regimes.
Fact of the matter is that this whole this is basically a giant AI so it will only improve beyond a point with millions of hours and kilometers of real-world use, hence, a "beta test".
If it were me, I'd have my hands at 10 and 2 and my eyes peeled for white semi trailers about to cross in front of the car...

I don't want to get into the semantics but it does not learn when its on the road. They use machine learning as part of the software development and as such will be training the "machine" with the data they recover. It is in no way a giant AI, they just use the fleet for data collection. I love my Tesla as much as the next guy but I know a marketing stunt when I see one. Spend 5 minutes on google and you can see the the dangerous state of the software. There is no way some influencer should be driving and trying to make videos while beta testing. This is not in a fit state for Joe average to be behind the wheel on public streets. You guys need to ease off the Kool-Aid a little.

#3222 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You really think this multi-billion dollar company went from software programming to simple random testers? Lol. They tested the crap out of this thing before we even knew they were working on it. As we are not being forced to test it who are we to assume the are doing it wrong.

That is exactly what they did, the beta testers are just the lucky fans that got chosen, influencers that are chosen based on their viewership or they are guys like me. They added me to the internal Beta Testers because of the pricing changes. They literally said oh sorry we kind of lied to you about the pricing of FSD but we will make you part of the internal beta. I can see this is one of those conversation that you are just going to ignore everything that doesn't align with your view. Anyone with eyes and a lick of common sense can see this is not good.

#3224 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No, but I don’t have to agree with your position either. Everyone can have an opinion and that’s great. If you any want to hear yours that’s a separate issue. I applaud innovation and they are clearly on an undefined path.

This whole thing people do these day that they mix and match the words fact and opinion is so weird. It's not my opinion that the beta testers are selected at random. As I explained I was selected based on a completely arbitrary moment in time combined with the fact that a Tesla representative lied or made an error when communicating with me. My selection was for all intents and purposes random. That is not opinion, that is fact. You can call me a liar and just ignore that fact because it doesn't align with what you want to believe. You can believe anything you want, but just because you believe it doesn't magically make it a fact. Also just because a fact doesn't align with your beliefs doesn't make it an opinion.

#3226 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

My point was that A) Tesla certainly tested to the best of their ability prior to releasing as beta. B) Everyone who is a Beta testing has a driver's license don't they, everytime you get behind the wheel you are responsible for your driving, FST Beta or not.
Nobody can fix stupid, and there are plenty of stupid drivers out there, and some portion will be beta testing FSD. What should Tesla do, make everyone in the beta program take a test of some kind?

At this stage the software is not ready for an external beta on public streets. A professional driver should be at the wheel and a test engineer as a copilot. When I took a self driving taxi in Vegas that was the set up they used. At a minimum the car should be labeled externally like any new driver so other drivers are aware. Actually it should meet all the requirements of any new driver, limited hours and passengers. I'm just saying they should use a little common sense.

#3229 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Just piping in as you keep dictating fact. But you only have one fact. It’s your situation. You keep extrapolating that all the others are random like you. You literally have NO idea if that is fact. Just be careful about your assignment of fact.

Tesla announced that all people that purchased FSD within a certain period before the the flash $2000 off sale would be offered the beta as compensation. I am far from the only person. I am sorry but I assumed that when Tesla announces something straight from Elon that would be enough to count as fact. It's also common knowledge that many influencers are included in the beta and it is not because they have any expertise outside of marketing. These are facts not even Tesla would dispute.

#3231 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

What FSD flash $2,000 off sale?

It was months ago they offered FSD for $2000 or $2000 off. I'm in Canada and the numbers are in US but you can google it and find out the exact numbers. I got suckered and payed $4000 or $5000 whatever it was early on when you bought it when you configured the car. I believed the whole if you buy it in advance we guarantee you the best price and it will only go up from here. Then near earnings they were like surprise you can buy FSD for the next few days for $2000 we need to spruce up the books a little. Everyone that bought early on, at the whole support us early and you get a great deal was like WTF. Tesla said, screw you we are not honoring what we said or the matching the price for you, but you are the chosen ones that get to beta test for free. That is the qualification to become an "expert driver" and be part of the beta. I'm not here to shit on them, I love my Tesla at the same time I'm not a cultist and I can be honest when they do stupid shit.

P.S. This is not just my opinion as spoken by the dude. Just the basic facts (as I said I don't remember the exact $ amount) that anyone that follows Tesla and is honest will corroborate.

#3233 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The way I understand it the offered FSD for 2k to those that purchased (owned) the EAP setup. None the less you feel you got tricked or missed out on something so I understand your not happy with the business model. Understood. Still love this car and would never go back. For me I use FSD (short of turns for now) on every drive and street without an issue and love it.

I don't feel I missed out on anything, I have my car and the configuration I agreed to and I love it. I am not some jaded owner that trying to hate on Tesla. It's a fact that random people are beta testing self driving technology on public streets with no over sight while creating social media content. It's my opinion that doing that is not awesome. It's dangerous, stupid and a step too far. I think it's very weird the length people will go to defend it. The first thing people did was try it at night in the rain, with downtown city traffic and pedestrians to see how "awesome" it was. I just can't help but think play stupid games...

#3237 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Sooner or later it has to be deemed safe enough for the public. FSD has hardly been rushed, it’s years late. What makes you think it’s dangerous?

I have eyes, the failure rate is very high it's doing things things like making a left turn onto the wrong side of the median into oncoming traffic. The guy pulls it back just in time, I guess its me but I thought driving on the wrong side of the road was dangerous. The lengths you guys are going is very weird. My whole point is I don't think people should be doing this while making videos, obviously there are videos available for everyone to see.

6 months later
#3257 2 years ago

Mine is showing the usual issues. Headlight accent lights are broken. Tesla will fix them but I had my car front wrapped and don't want to lose it on the headlights. Drives me nuts that Tesla can't fix an LED issue with out replacing the entire headlight lens assembly and losing the wrap. Interior components are on the fragile side. Little things with the interior but I'm very gentle with it and really take care of it. I think of what my kids did to a super durable mini van when they were little and can't imagine a Tesla with kids. It would look like you hosted fight club for cats inside. My autopilot features are really flaky in the mild climate of BC, the cameras fog up a lot in the winter and its super annoying. Windshield wipers are still terrible and Tesla just refuses to accept their one size fits all solution doesn't work and add human controls. I think that is another climate issue. I don't think anyone at Tesla realizes that in some climates people use things like Rain X. The whole image detection AI windshield wipers just can't handle it and my wife can't drive at night without it. Still love the car but early on I thought I will never own anything else again. Now I'm kinda hoping that when the time comes I can find an alternative EV.

2 years later
#3287 3 months ago

I have had a M3 since launch in Canada and it has been a good car. That being said most of what makes it great is it being an EV. The things I hate most about it are because its a Tesla. The cars functionality and features have taken major steps backwards. When I first got it, it was a dream in rush hour highway driving. The radar did such a great job of maintaining space, even in the dark or rain. Now, its honestly laughable, the vision system is terrible. The windshield wipers are the worst I have ever experienced in a car, the auto headlights are useless and Tesla forces these on you. The constant changing UI exagerates the stupidity of not having proper controls. I will stick to EVs for life but Tesla would need to make serious changes before I would go back to them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=Darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.