Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago

I would be interested but they either need way more range or way more charging stations.

I drive up to 500 miles in one day. Currently there are ZERO charging stations on ANY of my routes.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The poll really should have included-
"If you want to do something good for the environment, stop buying cars and quit driving altogether"

.......and you want our economy to come to a grinding halt.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

well yes, of course CO2 is a pollutant. it is the world's leading cause of climate change. that's science fact, not an opinion, even if newly appointed EPA administrators want to cover their ears and go "la la la i can't hear scientists". it's not even controversial.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-worst-climate-pollution-is-carbon-dioxide/

mining and refining oil and shipping it across the world doesn't happen by magic. and disposing of a vehicle full of oil and gasoline presents as many challenges as disposing of an old battery. there was recently a study done measuring the lifetime environmental impact of EVs vs gasoline engines, and it turns out, even accounting for production and disposal, EVs are still 50% better for the environment, even if they are charged in regions that primarily use coal to generate electricity. here's one that measures the relative lifetime greenhouse gas emissions: http://blog.ucsusa.org/rachael-nealer/gasoline-vs-electric-global-warming-emissions-953 and here is a study from Renault about the cradle-to-grave impact of all pollutants: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/517146/are-electric-vehicles-better-for-the-environment-than-gas-powered-ones/
also, as renewables become a greater percentage of our power grid (they are rapidly rising), this makes existing electric vehicles even cleaner.
however, i don't get the sense that environmental concerns are actually a major decision factor in your purchases either way (and that's your right of course).

it's true that range is negatively affected by the cold. and it's true most gas cars have a greater range. however, my Tesla does have over 300 miles of range per charge. i've had it since September and have not had to charge it publicly a single time yet. it charges in my garage, so i wake up every morning with a full battery.

valid complaint. Superchargers can charge a battery 50% in 20 minutes (in my case, that's about 150 miles depending on the weather). certainly slower than refilling with gas. for long trips, the nav does a great job telling you where you will stop and for how long.

Tesla's Autopilot feature, just much like autopilots in airplanes, *assists* the driver, it doesn't *replace* them. it still requires the driver to be present and alert and watching the road. in fact, it nags you and will eventually disengage itself if you don't keep at least one hand on the wheel. it's not there to let you take a nap. it increases the safety of the vehicle and decreases driver fatigue, but the onus is still on the driver to avoid collisions at all times.
this may change if the software ever gets to level 5 autonomy, but that is not currently the case and i don't personally think it's close, either.

to be fair, if we are going to use a pinball analogy, this is more like pre-ordering from JJP rather than pre-ordering from Skit-B. Still a valid concern, though!

well, it wouldn't be occupied for hours. most people charge for 20 minutes. and most charging stations around me have several chargers and i haven't ever seen them all occupied at once (maybe it's different in CA or more urban areas). also, the nav software in the Tesla knows the realtime status of each charger, so you would know it was full before you got there. maybe this will become a problem once there are hundreds of thousands of Model 3s on the road, but Tesla has been pretty good about building up support infrastructure.

yep, they exist. personally i like the environmental aspects of the car and do believe it is in humanity's best interests to move towards renewable energy sources long-term, and that electric cars are one step in that process ... but i won't lie - i bought the car mostly because i love driving it.

100% Correct!

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

So you still have to own 2 vehicles and 1 will have to be fossil fuel.

Yes....you still need a fossil fuel vehicle if you want to haul shit......for now.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Just look at the rapid depreciation of the Nissan Leaf. That should give you an idea how poor of an investment the Tesla 3 is. Battery technology is the key. It's not there yet.

Then you haven't been paying attention to the resale value of current Tesla's. Not all EV's are created (or sought after) equally.

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Same battery technology. Poor investment. Tesla 3 will be a Dinosaur within 10 years.

How many of us keep a car for 10 years these days? Granted I keep mine longer than average (6-7).

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Tesla going to replace the battery for $12,000. 00, if it fails? when it was $35,000 new..
Half value.., and it WILL NEED REPLACING IN ITS LIFETIME., no thank you.

Really? You going to put over 300,000 miles on a car before you sell it? I never have.

1 week later
#259 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I have to think there are a ton of people that wouldn't sniff anywhere near that before getting a new car.
My last car was like 15 years old and only had 90K on it.

I do more than that in three.

#262 7 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

So he claims that 535,000 lives will be save every year from crashes 35K and smoking 500K...
So the we will see over population in how many years? And with that unemployment will skyrocket from the loss of manufacturing jobs in the auto industry, gas stations closed no more gas powered cars, and all those who did not die from smoking.
And we will never see ZERO crashes in self driving cars, suspension parts fail, deer and other wild life crossing the road, and black ice to na,e a few. Folks in California & Florida may not have heard of it, but it does exist, I have experienced myself.

Wait...so you're advocating not going to self driving cars because not enough people will die? Did I catch that right?

#298 7 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Same works with penny stocks.

BTW How is Fiskar doing with their Karma? I know it is a Hybred with a solar panel roof.
How many other New Car Companies suceeded? Brickland DeLorian Tucker...
If Telsa suceeds I would say 50% of the profits come from Battery sales to other car manufacturers.

He didn't say Tesla would for sure succeed. He said put your money where your mouth is.

2 weeks later
#405 7 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

I'm actually kind of embarrassed that I drive one as I see Tesla car and stock owners as a bunch of clueless snowflakes.

Reading your posts is kind of embarrassing. You're like a broken record with "the sky is falling" on Telsa. Look, you might even be right (although there is a good chance you're wrong). But give it a rest.

1 month later
#450 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Oh my goodness, you mean to tell me the first ever autonomous crash was a Google car scraping a bus? Holy smokes WE BETTER STOP ALL AUTONOMOUS CARS RIGHT NOW!!!!
Man was never meant to travel faster than 20 miles per hour.
Man was never meant to fly.
Man was never meant to go to the moon.
Nobody needs a personal computer.
The Internet won't change anything.
Autopilots landing planes will kill people.
Fly by wire will fail.
Wind power will never be cheaper than coal.

You know Bob was doing a pretty good job of looking foolish all by himself... but then you had to step in and remove all doubt.

#455 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Hah.
Yeah they used that terrible engine in a bunch of cars. I actually owned an '85 Toronado (not a Diesel though). Very cool car. Cherry red leather interior. Digital dash. And it talked. It would tell you in an 80s speak-and-spell voice if your fuel was low or your door was ajar. My wife drove it through a fence into a cow pasture in Canada. R.I.P. (The car, not the wife)

My Dad bought a 1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal Brougham Coupe Diesel. I remember the name because I thought it was so ridiculous it was funny....in fact my friends in high school used to make me repeat it and we'd all laugh.

That thing was a BOAT...but it saved my Mom's life in an accident.

#484 6 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

People traveling at night (no need for a driver) eliminating airfare.

Not sure how much impact that will have...some...on really short flights. It will still take a long time to drive cross country when you can fly in hours. Hell it takes 21 hours for me to drive to Florida nonstop...2 1/2 hours by air.

#517 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it is a valid consideration, though, if your job requires you to regularly drive more than 220 miles per day

That's me! Granted I'm a small minority. Not to mention no charging stations on my routes....although hopefully that changes some day.

1 month later
#666 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

New Model S 100D here, so far, no regrets. Drove P100d with ludicrous, what a thrill.
Son wants Model 3 after he graduates next year, he hopes to find a used one available.

A used Model 3 next year? It would cost over retail.

#685 6 years ago

Call me card carrying EV guy....that doesn't own an EV and currently won't buy one. I'm about to buy a new vehicle and unfortunately it needs to be a gas guzzling SUV.

I need either a 450mi range OR way more charging stations. Currently there are TWO charging stations in all of northern Michigan with zero along my primary routes. I can drive upwards of 450 miles in one day.

I also need towing capacity (at least 3500lbs)....the X has it but is still priced too high.

We are a two car family but it's the SUV that is up for replacement. When it comes time to replace the car I will probably look at an EV then (roughly 2022).

2 weeks later
#737 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I hear there are lots of Teslas being stolen recently. It's easy to tell though because the cars are re-branded as Edisons.

Rimshot (resized).jpgRimshot (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3?tu=Astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.