Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 67.
#3201 3 years ago

I had to throw in my love for my Tesla 3. Totally awesome and a blast to drive.As far as the shares they are realistically way to high for what he has shown in profits but the company has a ton of great ideas and a product no on else will touch in 10 plus years.Think of how the trucking industry will change with the self driving and way he says they will be like a train of trucks on the road following each other. I'm guessing stock will hold its value a long long time.
If anyone has paid for the speed upgrade let me know if it was worth it.I want to but eaaaa is super crazy fast the way it is.

#3202 3 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

So basically your car is paid for about 5 times over... Nice. Congrats. I own 2 meager shares, wish it would be more, but now is not a good time to buy. A bit too much hype before the split. Defiantly don't see as dark as one of our fellow posters, but I believe the price will balance out around $300-$350 after the split.

I’ll be surprised if the stock stays that low. I think that a lot of people who want TSLA but can’t afford it at the current price will want to buy it when it drops. I anticipate a fairly quick rise in price.

#3203 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I’ll be surprised if the stock stays that low. I think that a lot of people who want TSLA but can’t afford it at the current price will want to buy it when it drops. I anticipate a fairly quick rise in price.

Anyone can buy. It is called fractional shares and nothing special these days.

#3204 3 years ago

I would say Elon would like it to be $420

#3205 3 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:So basically your car is paid for about 5 times over... Nice. Congrats. I own 2 meager shares, wish it would be more, but now is not a good time to buy. A bit too much hype before the split. Defiantly don't see as dark as one of our fellow posters, but I believe the price will balance out around $300-$350 after the split.

I believe Elon would like it to balance out at $420

#3206 3 years ago

Tesla Performance Y full self driving surfing Pinside. Life is good.....

IMG_5750 (resized).jpgIMG_5750 (resized).jpg
#3207 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Tesla Performance Y full self driving surfing Pinside. Life is good.....
[quoted image]

While you are sitting in your garage in Park

#3208 3 years ago

While you are sitting in your garage in Park

I have browsed Pinside during my commute many times. The browser is fully functional when you’re on autopilot just can’t watch videos.

#3209 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I have browsed Pinside during my commute many times. The browser is fully functional when you’re on autopilot just can’t watch videos.

no explanation needed, I have my 3 since April 2018....

#3210 3 years ago

Maybe a Tesla pinball machine is needed.I can see the modal 3 drag racing all the super sport cars and blowing them out or the water.And as you go through driving all their cars in different modes the wizard mode you get to drive the roadster. Hmm, OK maybe the world of pinball is not ready for that game yet.But our kids are going to love it.:}

#3211 3 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

Maybe a Tesla pinball machine is needed.I can see the modal 3 drag racing all the super sport cars and blowing them out or the water.And as you go through driving all their cars in different modes the wizard mode you get to drive the roadster. Hmm, OK maybe the world of pinball is not ready for that game yet.But our kids are going to love it.:}

I actually love that idea! I’d guess Elon would give away the license for marketing.

#3212 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I actually love that idea! I’d guess Elon would give away the license for marketing.

Could be awesome. Model X opening its doors up and a shot through. Cybertruck pulling a Raptor. CRAZY AWESOME

1 month later
#3213 3 years ago

goatdan I assume you still have your nissan leaf? Someone did a nice tutorial of swapping out the battery with basic tools, and he sells an adapter cable so the newer battery can still communicate to the car:
https://hackaday.com/2020/10/23/battery-swap-gives-nissan-leaf-new-lease-on-life

#3214 3 years ago

Of course now that I'm in Tesla shares, this comes out:

Consumer Interest in EVs and Self-Driving Cars Stuck in Neutral

https://www.autobeatonline.com/news/consumer-interest-in-evs-and-self-driving-cars-stuck-in-neutral

#3215 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Of course now that I'm in Tesla shares, this comes out:
Consumer Interest in EVs and Self-Driving Cars Stuck in Neutral
https://www.autobeatonline.com/news/consumer-interest-in-evs-and-self-driving-cars-stuck-in-neutral

But since then they have unveiled Full self driving beta and the result is awesome! That will propel them and their profitability to a new level. Loving this car.

#3216 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

But since then they have unveiled Full self driving beta and the result is awesome! That will propel them and their profitability to a new level. Loving this car.

I dunno if I would call the results awesome. It is so entertaining to watch the videos though. People are so excited to try and the whole time they know the car could kill them. The beta test is the worst testing environment I can imagine. Take a bunch of young people with virtually no professional driving or testing experience and pile them in a tesla with all the distractions of cell phones and trying to make content for social media and send them on the public streets. It really is the worst (and therefore amazing) reality TV. This is a massive step to far and a complete disregard for safety. The diabolical evil genius of Tesla just offloading all the liability to the Tesla hard core is impressive.

#3217 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I dunno if I would call the results awesome. It is so entertaining to watch the videos though. People are so excited to try and the whole time they know the car could kill them. The beta test is the worst testing environment I can imagine. Take a bunch of young people with virtually no professional driving or testing experience and pile them in a tesla with all the distractions of cell phones and trying to make content for social media and send them on the public streets. It really is the worst (and therefore amazing) reality TV. This is a massive step to far and a complete disregard for safety. The diabolical evil genius of Tesla just offloading all the liability to the Tesla hard core is impressive.

Not sure what video you watched but they seemed very selective in the dozen or less people that got the beta. Yeah I guess you could just run this on a desk top computer forever for your test but I think this works. Luckily, nobody is being forced to test it. My car is ready when they are.

#3218 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure what video you watched but they seemed very selective in the dozen or less people that got the beta. Yeah I guess you could just run this on a desk top computer forever for your test but I think this works. Luckily, nobody is being forced to test it. My car is ready when they are.

Or you could hire a "dozen" professional drivers that can handle a situation when it goes wrong. Some qualified people with a basic understanding of how to test and do controlled testing on public streets. Ah where is the fun in that lets just turn it loose on our completely unqualified but most hard core fans and watch the hilarity. It works great for Tesla its free and when it goes badly they can just say hey they volunteered and we told them to pay attention its not our fault. Very selective is pretty funny, I'm in the beta testing program for Canada, I was selected when they changed the pricing and my enrollment was automatic.

#3219 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Or you could hire a "dozen" professional drivers that can handle a situation when it goes wrong. Some qualified people with a basic understanding of how to test and do controlled testing on public streets. Ah where is the fun in that lets just turn it loose on our completely unqualified but most hard core fans and watch the hilarity. It works great for Tesla its free and when it goes badly they can just say hey they volunteered and we told them to pay attention its not our fault. Very selective is pretty funny, I'm in the beta testing program for Canada, I was selected when they changed the pricing and my enrollment was automatic.

Well we have no idea what internal testing protocols are at Tesla that are done prior to the beta being released to the public. Elon's other gig *is* literal rocket science so I think he understands the value of disciplined testing regimes.

Fact of the matter is that this whole this is basically a giant AI so it will only improve beyond a point with millions of hours and kilometers of real-world use, hence, a "beta test".

If it were me, I'd have my hands at 10 and 2 and my eyes peeled for white semi trailers about to cross in front of the car...

#3220 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Well we have no idea what internal testing protocols are at Tesla that are done prior to the beta being released to the public. Elon's other gig *is* literal rocket science so I think he understands the value of disciplined testing regimes.
Fact of the matter is that this whole this is basically a giant AI so it will only improve beyond a point with millions of hours and kilometers of real-world use, hence, a "beta test".
If it were me, I'd have my hands at 10 and 2 and my eyes peeled for white semi trailers about to cross in front of the car...

I don't want to get into the semantics but it does not learn when its on the road. They use machine learning as part of the software development and as such will be training the "machine" with the data they recover. It is in no way a giant AI, they just use the fleet for data collection. I love my Tesla as much as the next guy but I know a marketing stunt when I see one. Spend 5 minutes on google and you can see the the dangerous state of the software. There is no way some influencer should be driving and trying to make videos while beta testing. This is not in a fit state for Joe average to be behind the wheel on public streets. You guys need to ease off the Kool-Aid a little.

#3221 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I don't want to get into the semantics but it does not learn when its on the road. They use machine learning as part of the software development and as such will be training the "machine" with the data they recover. It is in no way a giant AI, they just use the fleet for data collection. I love my Tesla as much as the next guy but I know a marketing stunt when I see one. Spend 5 minutes on google and you can see the the dangerous state of the software. There is no way some influencer should be driving and trying to make videos while beta testing. This is not in a fit state for Joe average to be behind the wheel on public streets. You guys need to ease off the Kool-Aid a little.

You really think this multi-billion dollar company went from software programming to simple random testers? Lol. They tested the crap out of this thing before we even knew they were working on it. As we are not being forced to test it who are we to assume the are doing it wrong.

#3222 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You really think this multi-billion dollar company went from software programming to simple random testers? Lol. They tested the crap out of this thing before we even knew they were working on it. As we are not being forced to test it who are we to assume the are doing it wrong.

That is exactly what they did, the beta testers are just the lucky fans that got chosen, influencers that are chosen based on their viewership or they are guys like me. They added me to the internal Beta Testers because of the pricing changes. They literally said oh sorry we kind of lied to you about the pricing of FSD but we will make you part of the internal beta. I can see this is one of those conversation that you are just going to ignore everything that doesn't align with your view. Anyone with eyes and a lick of common sense can see this is not good.

#3223 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I can see this is one of those conversation that you are just going to ignore everything that doesn't align with your view.

No, but I don’t have to agree with your position either. Everyone can have an opinion and that’s great. If you only want to hear yours that’s a separate issue. I applaud innovation and they are clearly on an undefined path.

#3224 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No, but I don’t have to agree with your position either. Everyone can have an opinion and that’s great. If you any want to hear yours that’s a separate issue. I applaud innovation and they are clearly on an undefined path.

This whole thing people do these day that they mix and match the words fact and opinion is so weird. It's not my opinion that the beta testers are selected at random. As I explained I was selected based on a completely arbitrary moment in time combined with the fact that a Tesla representative lied or made an error when communicating with me. My selection was for all intents and purposes random. That is not opinion, that is fact. You can call me a liar and just ignore that fact because it doesn't align with what you want to believe. You can believe anything you want, but just because you believe it doesn't magically make it a fact. Also just because a fact doesn't align with your beliefs doesn't make it an opinion.

#3225 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

This whole thing people do these day that they mix and match the words fact and opinion is so weird. It's not my opinion that the beta testers are selected at random. As I explained I was selected based on a completely arbitrary moment in time combined with the fact that a Tesla representative lied or made an error when communicating with me. My selection was for all intents and purposes random. That is not opinion, that is fact. You can call me a liar and just ignore that fact because it doesn't align with what you want to believe. You can believe anything you want, but just because you believe it doesn't magically make it a fact. Also just because a fact doesn't align with your beliefs doesn't make it an opinion.

My point was that A) Tesla certainly tested to the best of their ability prior to releasing as beta. B) Everyone who is a Beta testing has a driver's license don't they, everytime you get behind the wheel you are responsible for your driving, FST Beta or not.

Nobody can fix stupid, and there are plenty of stupid drivers out there, and some portion will be beta testing FSD. What should Tesla do, make everyone in the beta program take a test of some kind?

#3226 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

My point was that A) Tesla certainly tested to the best of their ability prior to releasing as beta. B) Everyone who is a Beta testing has a driver's license don't they, everytime you get behind the wheel you are responsible for your driving, FST Beta or not.
Nobody can fix stupid, and there are plenty of stupid drivers out there, and some portion will be beta testing FSD. What should Tesla do, make everyone in the beta program take a test of some kind?

At this stage the software is not ready for an external beta on public streets. A professional driver should be at the wheel and a test engineer as a copilot. When I took a self driving taxi in Vegas that was the set up they used. At a minimum the car should be labeled externally like any new driver so other drivers are aware. Actually it should meet all the requirements of any new driver, limited hours and passengers. I'm just saying they should use a little common sense.

#3227 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Just piping in as you keep dictating fact. But you only have one fact. It’s your situation. You keep extrapolating that all the others are random like you. You literally have NO idea if that is fact. Just be careful about your assignment of fact.

#3228 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

At this stage the software is not ready for an external beta on public streets. A professional driver should be at the wheel and a test engineer as a copilot. When I took the self driving taxis in Vegas and that was the set up they used. At a minimum the car should be labeled externally like any new driver so other drivers are aware. Actually it should meet all the requirements of any new driver, limited hours and passengers. I'm just saying they should use a little common sense.

I do kind of agree the cars should be labeled so others can see. Like a student driver. I worry more about their reactions.

#3229 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Just piping in as you keep dictating fact. But you only have one fact. It’s your situation. You keep extrapolating that all the others are random like you. You literally have NO idea if that is fact. Just be careful about your assignment of fact.

Tesla announced that all people that purchased FSD within a certain period before the the flash $2000 off sale would be offered the beta as compensation. I am far from the only person. I am sorry but I assumed that when Tesla announces something straight from Elon that would be enough to count as fact. It's also common knowledge that many influencers are included in the beta and it is not because they have any expertise outside of marketing. These are facts not even Tesla would dispute.

#3230 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Tesla announced that all people that purchased FSD within a certain period before the the flash $2000 off sale would be offered the beta as compensation. I am far from the only person. I am sorry but I assumed that when Tesla announces something straight from Elon that would be enough to count as fact. It's also common knowledge that many influencers are included in the beta and it is not because they have any expertise outside of marketing. These are facts not even Tesla would dispute.

What FSD flash $2,000 off sale?

#3231 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

What FSD flash $2,000 off sale?

It was months ago they offered FSD for $2000 or $2000 off. I'm in Canada and the numbers are in US but you can google it and find out the exact numbers. I got suckered and payed $4000 or $5000 whatever it was early on when you bought it when you configured the car. I believed the whole if you buy it in advance we guarantee you the best price and it will only go up from here. Then near earnings they were like surprise you can buy FSD for the next few days for $2000 we need to spruce up the books a little. Everyone that bought early on, at the whole support us early and you get a great deal was like WTF. Tesla said, screw you we are not honoring what we said or the matching the price for you, but you are the chosen ones that get to beta test for free. That is the qualification to become an "expert driver" and be part of the beta. I'm not here to shit on them, I love my Tesla at the same time I'm not a cultist and I can be honest when they do stupid shit.

P.S. This is not just my opinion as spoken by the dude. Just the basic facts (as I said I don't remember the exact $ amount) that anyone that follows Tesla and is honest will corroborate.

#3232 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It was months ago they offered FSD for $2000 or $2000 off. I'm in Canada and the numbers are in US but you can google it and find out the exact numbers. I got suckered and payed $4000 or $5000 whatever it was early on when you bought it when you configured the car. I believed the whole if you buy it in advance we guarantee you the best price and it will only go up from here. Then near earnings they were like surprise you can buy FSD for the next few days for $2000 we need to spruce up the books a little. Everyone that bought early on, at the whole support us early and you get a great deal was like WTF. Tesla said, screw you we are not honoring what we said or the matching the price for you, but you are the chosen ones that get to beta test for free. That is the qualification to become an "expert driver" and be part of the beta. I'm not here to shit on them, I love my Tesla at the same time I'm not a cultist and I can be honest when they do stupid shit.
P.S. This is not just my opinion as spoken by the dude. Just the basic facts (as I said I don't remember the exact $ amount) that anyone that follows Tesla and is honest will corroborate.

The way I understand it the offered FSD for 2k to those that purchased (owned) the EAP setup. None the less you feel you got tricked or missed out on something so I understand your not happy with the business model. Understood. Still love this car and would never go back. For me I use FSD (short of turns for now) on every drive and street without an issue and love it.

#3233 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The way I understand it the offered FSD for 2k to those that purchased (owned) the EAP setup. None the less you feel you got tricked or missed out on something so I understand your not happy with the business model. Understood. Still love this car and would never go back. For me I use FSD (short of turns for now) on every drive and street without an issue and love it.

I don't feel I missed out on anything, I have my car and the configuration I agreed to and I love it. I am not some jaded owner that trying to hate on Tesla. It's a fact that random people are beta testing self driving technology on public streets with no over sight while creating social media content. It's my opinion that doing that is not awesome. It's dangerous, stupid and a step too far. I think it's very weird the length people will go to defend it. The first thing people did was try it at night in the rain, with downtown city traffic and pedestrians to see how "awesome" it was. I just can't help but think play stupid games...

#3234 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I don't feel I missed out on anything, I have my car and the configuration I agreed to and I love it. I am not some jaded owner that trying to hate on Tesla. It's a fact that random people are beta testing self driving technology on public streets with no over sight while creating social media content. It's my opinion that doing that is not awesome. It's dangerous, stupid and a step too far. I think it's very weird the length people will go to defend it. The first thing people did was try it at night in the rain, with downtown city traffic and pedestrians to see how "awesome" it was. I just can't help but think play stupid games...

Sounds like your happy. I look forward to the new bold steps this company takes. Reminds me, time to pull the performance wheels before the snow flies.

#3235 3 years ago
#3236 3 years ago

Sooner or later it has to be deemed safe enough for the public. FSD has hardly been rushed, it’s years late. What makes you think it’s dangerous?

Quoted from Darscot:

It's a fact that random people are beta testing self driving technology on public streets with no over sight while creating social media content.

#3237 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Sooner or later it has to be deemed safe enough for the public. FSD has hardly been rushed, it’s years late. What makes you think it’s dangerous?

I have eyes, the failure rate is very high it's doing things things like making a left turn onto the wrong side of the median into oncoming traffic. The guy pulls it back just in time, I guess its me but I thought driving on the wrong side of the road was dangerous. The lengths you guys are going is very weird. My whole point is I don't think people should be doing this while making videos, obviously there are videos available for everyone to see.

#3238 3 years ago

I agree nobody should be making videos, but if they’re doing what they’re supposed to (paying attention, keeping hands on the wheel, etc) I cant see its any worse than cruise control. I have to pop out of autopilot sometimes and it’s not particularly dangerous. The random brake checks make me worry about cars behind me though.

I think that this is a problem even in the existing software. Similar to my Toyota Highlander. I guess my point is, this isn’t a big leap in danger. And I think the long term gain in safety from advancing this tech will more than pay back the short term dangers. I know that’s not a popular viewpoint but I think sometimes you have to play the math (in lives) for the long game (not to get political but it also matches up with my philosophy about covid, but I won’t venture into that topic).

#3239 3 years ago

I’m so glad all these other drivers of regular cars get to unwillingly participate in a “beta” test of car software that might get them killed. This is the most fucked up thing I’ve ever seen. The NHTSA has really dropped the ball by allowing these unreviewed over the air updates and beta tests on live roads.

#3240 3 years ago

Autopilot is significantly safer than a human. I trust computer drivers much more than every other car that’s on their damn cell phone.

It’ll be okay man.

Quoted from Richthofen:

I’m so glad all these other drivers of regular cars get to unwillingly participate in a “beta” test of car software that might get them killed. This is the most fucked up thing I’ve ever seen. The NHTSA has really dropped the ball by allowing these unreviewed over the air updates and beta tests on live roads.

#3241 3 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

One of these days One of your financial or other predictions on Tesla will come true. Some day..... lol For what its worth I Sold a Subaru to buy our Tesla after the crap motor kept blowing head gaskets.

#3242 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Autopilot is significantly safer than a human. I trust computer drivers much more than every other car that’s on their damn cell phone.
It’ll be okay man.

Nope. It can be in theory but it’s not yet there. If you have used autopilot, you would have experience phantom braking, uneven or jarring accel or deceleration and often cases where autopilot can’t handle simple tasks and forces you to take over. Right now it’s just too unpredictable. In time, you may be right. In fact I suspect you will be. Today however, autopilot has its faults or quirks. I don’t trust mine.

#3243 3 years ago

Nobody trusts it, that’s why you are supposed to pay attention at all times.

Some people will say that people don’t pay attention like they are supposed to, but that’s true anyway with or without autopilot.

Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Nope. It can be in theory but it’s not yet there. If you have used autopilot, you would have experience phantom braking, uneven or jarring accel or deceleration and often cases where autopilot can’t handle simple tasks and forces you to take over. Right now it’s just too unpredictable. In time, you may be right. In fact I suspect you will be. Today however, autopilot has its faults or quirks. I don’t trust mine.

#3245 3 years ago

The only thing I found of interest in that article was the cause. The one lap a Human had to control the car lol.

4 months later
#3246 3 years ago

Question for the people with electronics smarts. The subpanel in my garage under the main rating says optional 240VAC. The main panel is 200a 240VAC. Should I be able to run a nema 14-50 from the subpanel?
Not planning on doing it myself but want to be knowledgeable before the estimates.
There aren’t any free slots on the subpanel, but hoping they can combine some of the existing ones like dishwasher + disposal?

#3247 3 years ago
Quoted from Amarillopinball:

Question for the people with electronics smarts. The subpanel in my garage under the main rating says optional 240VAC. The main panel is 200a 240VAC. Should I be able to run a nema 14-50 from the subpanel?
Not planning on doing it myself but want to be knowledgeable before the estimates.
There aren’t any free slots on the subpanel, but hoping they can combine some of the existing ones like dishwasher + disposal?

The panel can handle it, but you cannot really combine existing breakers. For the 240 you need two free spots in the panel. I would be amazed if there are no free spots though. Can you take a pic and post it?

#3248 3 years ago

The panel can handle it, but you cannot really combine existing breakers. For the 240 you need two free spots in the panel. I would be amazed if there are no free spots though. Can you take a pic and post it?

There are no free spots. My problem is my subpanel is coming from a 50a breaker at the main panel. So 50a max on the subpanel which most of my house seems to be coming off of. I’m now just considering a 6-20 plug so I don’t max out amps? I asked an electrician today about pigtailing some of these circuits to free a spot for a 14-30, then I asked about a 6-20. He said might as well do a 14-30 to get the most current I can get.
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpegF3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#3249 2 years ago

My Model 3 performance is just over 2 years old now. Have about 55K miles on it. So here is a mini review for those considering one.

So far so good. Only maintenance has been to add washer fluid. Still like the over the air updates (but I am sure some people won't enjoy the tech like I do).

Range is still 300 miles from a full charge so no issues there. I charge at home mostly so cost per mile is really low for me (about 1/3 the cost of gasoline in my case)

The "full self driving" still isn't. But looking back it works WAY better than when I first got the car. It may never really be self driving...time will tell...but I like what is there so far. Of course you can save quite a bit by simply not buying that option.

Been on a few 1000+ mile trips and find the charging network to be really good. It DOES add time to trips compared to gasing up - but not enough to make me go back to gas. Charging stops at super chargers are 20 to 30 minutes usually. However there are is still some places that you need to plan to get to. The upper peninsula of Michigan is one of them. They are building charging centers there - but they aren't done yet. You can drive anywhere on the US interstate system and not worry about it though. Just put your destination in and the NAV will tell you where to stop and charge. The charge stations are about every 100 miles on all the interstates.

In the cold of winter the range does go down considerably. Up to 1/3rd! So my 300 range becomes 200. Still plenty for my driving but the cold degradation is definitely a real thing. Since my car came out they have improved the efficiency of the cabin heater by go from a resistive heater (think toaster oven) to a heat pump that scavengers heat from the battery pack. But range will still be down in the winter for sure.

It really is hard to describe the experience to those who haven't tried it. I have taken lots of skeptical people for rides and then let them drive. Usually is a real eye opener. I have the performance model so experiencing that 11.5 quarter mile time is usually a big wake up call to skeptics who don't think electric cars can perform. But while the car will stay with just about ANY production car to 80mph after 80mph there are plenty of high performance (550+ hp) that can beat it. And at 4000 pounds my car is heavier than some true sorts cars that weigh less (although many gas cars are heavier than they should be also) so on a road course race track the lighter cars will beat it handily (of course they will also handily beat the heavier gas cars).

I won't be buying a gasoline powered vehicle again most likely. In a couple years the cost of EVs will be down and their range will be approaching 600 miles. The batteries are the expensive part. The rest of the car is much cheaper than an ICE. As battery prices fall the cost to build EVs will drop well below ICE cars. Not needing a transmission at all is an example of the savings. The shift is already occurring and most automakers are now racing to build EVs. ICE cars are improving of course but EVs are improving at a much faster rate. IMO the battle is over but certain people won't ever agree and they don't have to as ICE cars will be around for a long time.

Both sides of the debate cherry pick the data on the environmental effect of EVs. While I think they are a net positive that isn't the primary reason I got mine. I have grid tied solar at home so I am pretty sure that my environmental impact of driving my car is really low though.

YMMV

#3250 2 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

My Model 3 performance is just over 2 years old now. Have about 55K miles on it. So here is a mini review for those considering one.
So far so good. Only maintenance has been to add washer fluid. Still like the over the air updates (but I am sure some people won't enjoy the tech like I do).
Range is still 300 miles from a full charge so no issues there. I charge at home mostly so cost per mile is really low for me (about 1/3 the cost of gasoline in my case)
The "full self driving" still isn't. But looking back it works WAY better than when I first got the car. It may never really be self driving...time will tell...but I like what is there so far. Of course you can save quite a bit by simply not buying that option.
Been on a few 1000+ mile trips and find the charging network to be really good. It DOES add time to trips compared to gasing up - but not enough to make me go back to gas. Charging stops at super chargers are 20 to 30 minutes usually. However there are is still some places that you need to plan to get to. The upper peninsula of Michigan is one of them. They are building charging centers there - but they aren't done yet. You can drive anywhere on the US interstate system and not worry about it though. Just put your destination in and the NAV will tell you where to stop and charge. The charge stations are about every 100 miles on all the interstates.
In the cold of winter the range does go down considerably. Up to 1/3rd! So my 300 range becomes 200. Still plenty for my driving but the cold degradation is definitely a real thing. Since my car came out they have improved the efficiency of the cabin heater by go from a resistive heater (think toaster oven) to a heat pump that scavengers heat from the battery pack. But range will still be down in the winter for sure.
It really is hard to describe the experience to those who haven't tried it. I have taken lots of skeptical people for rides and then let them drive. Usually is a real eye opener. I have the performance model so experiencing that 11.5 quarter mile time is usually a big wake up call to skeptics who don't think electric cars can perform. But while the car will stay with just about ANY production car to 80mph after 80mph there are plenty of high performance (550+ hp) that can beat it. And at 4000 pounds my car is heavier than some true sorts cars that weigh less (although many gas cars are heavier than they should be also) so on a road course race track the lighter cars will beat it handily (of course they will also handily beat the heavier gas cars).
I won't be buying a gasoline powered vehicle again most likely. In a couple years the cost of EVs will be down and their range will be approaching 600 miles. The batteries are the expensive part. The rest of the car is much cheaper than an ICE. As battery prices fall the cost to build EVs will drop well below ICE cars. Not needing a transmission at all is an example of the savings. The shift is already occurring and most automakers are now racing to build EVs. ICE cars are improving of course but EVs are improving at a much faster rate. IMO the battle is over but certain people won't ever agree and they don't have to as ICE cars will be around for a long time.
Both sides of the debate cherry pick the data on the environmental effect of EVs. While I think they are a net positive that isn't the primary reason I got mine. I have grid tied solar at home so I am pretty sure that my environmental impact of driving my car is really low though.
YMMV

Great outline and pretty much my experience including the trip. Recently did a trip to Boyne Mountain in the UP and Meyer is the primary stop granted they recently added stations at Boyne Highlands so the ski trip was a success. Have the performance Y and love it. Unless you experience the self driving its hard to complain. We basically hit the highway and sat back while the car drove us from Chicago to the UP without an interruption. Just relax. As long as you don't do many 0-60 pulls the milage is pretty spot on and the computer keeps track of where you need to stop so no anxiety. Absolutely love this car and most likely will never go back to gas transport.

There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3/page/65?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.