Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 67.
#3101 4 years ago

Ok, you win.

#3102 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, but high tech doesn't mean complex. They have a fraction of the amount of parts that can go wrong, and their parts are rated for ridiculous lifespans.

Tesla doesn't send their parts to other groups, so sure. But, true story - I had an issue with my car, so I called them. While I was on the phone, while I was driving, Tesla had a service technician log into my car and diagnose the problem immediately, which they could fix with a software push.
My Nissan Leaf has a problem. I took it in. They told me it would be five hours. I sat and waited. They replaced a sensor for $600. The sensor did not fix the problem. They told me they could replace my computer for $1500 next, but they weren't sure if it would solve the issue either, and it might be the wiring harness for another $2000.
I paid $7000 or something for the Leaf. Putting $3100 in it to not know what will fix the problem is a waste of my time and money.
The one time I had to have Tesla actually service my car, they arrived at my house and did it in the driveway while I worked at home. I'd rather have that "shop" than some around town one.

I mean, that's fine, but the majority of people that are looking for something "exciting", I think people would generally pick a faster car than one that looks cooler and is loud. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Did you know Target is one of the largest operators of solar power in the world? They almost never publicize it because they aren't doing it for the environment or subsidies of whatever, but because of the extreme cost savings they provide:
https://corporate.target.com/article/2019/11/500-solar-installations
Again, for basically nothing, you can rent a system from Tesla on your roof that generates more power than it costs to rent every single month. They pay for it all. You pay them $XX a month and they generate $XX+$YY of electricity every month. They won't install it if they won't save you money, because if you opt to not keep it, it doesn't make them money.
Trust me, it's coming quick.

There is definitely room for improvement in the car servicing department. I wouldn't expect Tesla to fix many issues visiting homes like that unless simple problem, though. Paying for mechanics travel time and a large tool truck cannot be cheap.

I did quick check on solar panels. That rent plan is only available in handful of states. Price per month can change at any time and large fee to remove panels.
You don't get any tax credits either. Buying solar panels still very expensive and still relies on tax credits to keep cost down. I still think that money is better invested in other things. Solar panels have been around a long time so not sure if I believe it's going to grow that much. Having Tesla involved will help but it still has to make sense financially to all parties involved.

#3103 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

There is definitely room for improvement in the car servicing department. I wouldn't expect Tesla to fix many issues visiting homes like that unless simple problem, though. Paying for mechanics travel time and a large tool truck cannot be cheap.

I pretty sure Tesla does the majority of its repairs with its mobile rangers. There are a lot of Tesla’s where I work and they always push for mobile service. The service is incredible, book with the app they come to you and do the repair while your at work and shoot you a text when they are done. They even donated 5 chargers so we have a charging station at work.

#3104 4 years ago

I’ve had two service appointments since new in September 2019; one for a flat, and one for annual service. On both they dispatched a mobile ranger, and service was outstanding.

#3105 4 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I’ve had two service appointments since new in September 2019; one for a flat, and one for annual service. On both they dispatched a mobile ranger, and service was outstanding.

So is annual service covered under the factory warranty? If not, what does it cost and is it required to keep your warranty intact? I can't imagine there is much to do except check the brakes and battery health?

#3106 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

So is annual service covered under the factory warranty? If not, what does it cost and is it required to keep your warranty intact? I can't imagine there is much to do except check the brakes and battery health?

Don't forget the most common service item for an ev... adding more windshield washer fluid

#3107 4 years ago

I actually did not have an annual service....when I picked up my 3 in April 2018, they told me....see you in 2 years for break check.
My Warranty is in tact.

#3108 4 years ago

Really digging the Cybertruck, but I see an issue with bed access.
The high sides look like they hinder bed access - truck really needs a swing open gate like the Ridgeline

#3109 4 years ago

I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf with about 45 miles of actual range. Works fine because I either ride a bike to work or drive 1.5 miles into work and can charge for free. I’m seriously considering a model Y but really don’t want a car payment. I’ve been disciplined and paid off my house this year and have no debt but it’s hard to pull the trigger with three little kids

#3110 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Really digging the Cybertruck, but I see an issue with bed access.
The high sides look like they hinder bed access - truck really needs a swing open gate like the Ridgeline

No real truck owner accesses their truck bed from the sides!

#3111 4 years ago

Honestly can’t recall. Service included lubing the brake caliper glides, and a service bulletin item for the frunk latch. All I’ve ever done is add washer fluid.

#3112 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Since they don't have to pay for the building or rent or anything, I think it is probably competitive. For my one issue, I needed my turn signal replaced as there was an issue at the time of delivery that wasn't caught because I had a super odd delivery. They did that all.

I'm certain the sensor problem that I had with Nissan would have been done in the driveway too.

Quoted from jawjaw:

I did quick check on solar panels. That rent plan is only available in handful of states. Price per month can change at any time and large fee to remove panels.
You don't get any tax credits either. Buying solar panels still very expensive and still relies on tax credits to keep cost down. I still think that money is better invested in other things. Solar panels have been around a long time so not sure if I believe it's going to grow that much. Having Tesla involved will help but it still has to make sense financially to all parties involved.

I hadn't seen that they could change the price at any time, but I can't imagine they would jack it up on people as if it costs more than what you're generating each month, why would you do it?

And for the whole tax credit thing, you're wrong. You can find tons of articles about this with almost no time looking. Here's one:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/06/15/renewable-energy-is-now-the-cheapest-option-even-without-subsidies/

Here's a bullet point in it: Onshore wind and solar PV power are now, frequently, less expensive than any fossil-fuel option, without financial assistance.

About your point that it isn't going to grow much, here's the truth about it: Cost forecasts for solar PV and onshore wind continue to be revised as new data emerges, with renewables consistently beating earlier expectations.

In 2008, it cost about $7.75 to install a watt of solar power. In 2018, it cost about $2.25 to install that same watt of solar power.

You may not be following it, but in the market what is actually going on is the cost to install and operate renewables is falling so fast that nearly everywhere running coal - or for that matter nuclear and starting to be natural gas - is spending more to do it than to replace with renewables. The argument that you can't have a big renewable system because of the backup needed also doesn't hold any more, as it's cheaper and faster to build huge batteries than it is to build peaker plants. In 2015, the CEO of Next Energy predicted as such, and it's coming true now:

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/nextera-on-storage-post-2020-there-may-never-be-another-peaker-built-in-t

Tesla made the largest grid-sized battery backup system in Australia in 2017. The company running it determined it saved $50 million dollars in the first year of operation - so much so that they are now making the battery even bigger to do a better job of servicing the grid.

And, it's worth noting that all of these cost and technology breakthroughs are happening without calculating the health costs of traditional generation.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Don't forget the most common service item for an ev... adding more windshield washer fluid

Somewhere, I have a photo of my car alerting me I need windshield wiper fluid. I took a pic and posted on Facebook that my car had broke down. Particularly funny was It's the End of the World was playing on the radio

Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

I actually did not have an annual service....when I picked up my 3 in April 2018, they told me....see you in 2 years for break check.
My Warranty is in tact.

I was told brake check is optional, first service I would actually need is in September of 2021 for a battery fluid flush and replace. Picked mine up in September 2018.

#3113 4 years ago

Damn, is Tesla still doomed, stock is mental in after hours.

#3114 4 years ago

Tesla stock is buying my Model 3 Performance for me. Thanks Tesla!

#3115 4 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

No real truck owner accesses their truck bed from the sides!

Guess I am not a real truck owner

#3116 4 years ago

Can you disable the inside camera?

#3117 4 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Can you disable the inside camera?

It's not currently enabled for anything. There is talk of opting into it for Sentry Mode filming, but that hasn't been programmed yet. It is there to be used for the robotaxi fleet, if that ever becomes a thing.

#3118 4 years ago

not a tesla ad (because they have no commercials), but good message from audi

#3119 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

not a tesla ad (because they have no commercials), but good message from audi

Tesla doesn't need advertising. Here's a quote from an article talking about Jim Cramer's recent conversion to TSLA fanboi:

"Cramer is a recent Tesla supporter and has stated in the past that he was convinced to buy one of the company’s vehicles after his daughter drove a Model 3 from Oregon to San Francisco. After just 100 miles, his daughter called him and told him to buy a Tesla immediately."

That ad does drive home the point of how digusting our cities and highways are due to ICE air and noise pollution. I look forward to day, hopefully soon, where we all look back at that with the kind of grossed-out wonder that we view pictures of the coal pollution in late 19th century London now.

#3120 4 years ago

It's a good time to own Tesla stock!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#3121 4 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

It's a good time to own Tesla stock![quoted image]

Incredible run up this past week. I got in again last Wednesday, out Friday, in Monday at the open, and then back out yesterday near the close. All this during a Coronavirus-fueled market sell off. A wild ride.

Time for a cooling off ... but who knows.
4D87CA94-43E4-4448-8850-C9B3902941E5 (resized).jpeg4D87CA94-43E4-4448-8850-C9B3902941E5 (resized).jpeg

#3122 4 years ago

Anyone out there playing with secret code that has recently come to light? Not sure if i should share but its easy to find. It is crazy fun, just pure horsepower, turns your Tesla into old school American muscle.

#3123 4 years ago

For those interested, here is a video on Dyno mode....

#3124 4 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=343&v=dZ97gFStbmM&feature=emb_logo

Skip to 5:41

I'm invested in Tesla for the long haul. I expect it will hit $7000.00 per share in a few years.

#3125 4 years ago

I saw a commercial for a Hummer EV

Tell me that's not a sign of the future, Hummer was the most gas guzzling over the top huge SUV when it first came out. Now they're trying to catch the tesla train and make electric vehicles

#3126 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I saw a commercial for a Hummer EV
Tell me that's not a sign of the future, Hummer was the most gas guzzling over the top huge SUV when it first came out. Now they're trying to catch the tesla train and make electric vehicles

I thought it was a basketball ad. Such little detail.

Bring on the Rivian.

#3127 4 years ago
Quoted from twobobsworth:

I thought it was a basketball ad. Such little detail.
Bring on the Rivian.

750hp
Tank turn
0-60 in 3 seconds
400+ mile range
42” water fording capability
Deposit has been placed

#3128 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

750hp
Tank turn
0-60 in 3 seconds
400+ mile range
Deposit has been placed

Love it, even as a Tesla fan. Couple legit questions: cost? Long distance charging network? Charge speed?

But I’m all seriousness, it looks awesome. I’m stunned, gmc can’t make a competitive electric sedan but they go straight to the biggest guzzler of all times? Bold.

#3129 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Love it, even as a Tesla fan. Couple legit questions: cost? Long distance charging network? Charge speed?
But I’m all seriousness, it looks awesome. I’m stunned, gmc can’t make a competitive electric sedan but they go straight to the biggest guzzler of all times? Bold.

Starts around $69k and that’s all the pricing info available currently.

They haven’t mentioned much about charging speed or network. I have those same questions. With 400 miles of range, 99% of our charging will be at home.

#3130 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Starts around $69k and that’s all the pricing info available currently.
They haven’t mentioned much about charging speed or network. I have those same questions. With 400 miles of range, 99% of our charging will be at home.

70k for that machine is a great deal imho. My f150 a couple years ago was over 50k

#3131 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

750hp
Tank turn
0-60 in 3 seconds
400+ mile range
Deposit has been placed

Tank-turn seems like it's really destructive to the landscape, and your tires too I'd imagine.

1 week later
#3132 4 years ago

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-hardware-3-frightens-toyota-vw-model-3-teardown"

"an engineer who works at a major Japanese automaker noted there was just no way for other carmakers to match Tesla’s level of tech. “We cannot do it,” the engineer admitted."

#3133 4 years ago

For those that have a Model 3...
Would it feel pretty cramped for two adults and an 12, 10, and 2 year old (who has a car seat). I could get a base model 3 for $40k new plus taxes while a new Model Y is going to run me closer to $58k. Most of the time I doubt we would all be in the car together but still am curious for those times we take a day trip together.

#3134 4 years ago

Would it feel pretty cramped for two adults and an 12, 10, and 2 year old (who has a car seat). I could get a base model 3 for $40k new plus taxes while a new Model Y is going to run me closer to $58k. Most of the time I doubt we would all be in the car together but still am curious for those times we take a day trip together.

Ridiculously cramped. Not sure the Y would be any better though.

#3135 4 years ago

I'm not sure any vehicle (I meant car) is going to sit 3 comfortably with a car seat in a single row. That being said they are kids I'm sure they are accustomed to being stuffed into the back seat with book bags and crap.

#3136 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm not sure any vehicle is going to sit 3 comfortably with a car seat in a single row. That being said they are kids I'm sure they are accustomed to being stuffed into the back seat with book bags and crap.

We have a Ford Flex and that thing has a massively wide row (plus third row) even with the car seat. I would be selling my 2012 Leaf which currently gets about 45 miles on a charge...I can charge for free at work. We have both free level 2 and Level 3 chargers at my job so I would never really need to charge at home. (would need the Chadmo adapter for fast charging if needed). I realllllly wanna take the plunge but I realllllly don't want a car payment. lol

#3137 4 years ago

I would say go for it, you will be very happy but on occasion your kids will be cramped for sure. I wouldn't put Flex in the car category, if you want comfort in the back you would need to stick to a vehicle that size. The model Y would only give you a bit more head room and I slightly higher drive height, you would have to go X to get comparable in size to your Flex and that is a whole other level of payment.

#3138 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I would say go for it, you will be very happy but on occasion your kids will be cramped for sure. I wouldn't put Flex in the car category, if you want comfort in the back you would need to stick to a vehicle that size. The model Y would only give you a bit more head room and I slightly higher drive height, you would have to go X to get comparable in size to your Flex and that is a whole other level of payment.

Thanks for the info. On the used Tesla site you can actually get a 2016 X with fairly low mileage for under 60k. Prob is I know 1st gen X had some issues with fitment and leaks on the gull wing doors

#3139 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. On the used Tesla site you can actually get a 2016 X with fairly low mileage for under 60k. Prob is I know 1st gen X had some issues with fitment and leaks on the gull wing doors

The X is way more car compared to the Y or 3. If you can get one for a similar price point I would go X all the way especially with a family. The interior space in an X is an entirely different level. Go to a Tesla dealer and take a look. Tesla has their fair share of little issues but they are have really improved at dealing with them. Buying direct from Tesla I'm sure they will address any issues or concerns you have. A friend just bought an older Model S from a used car lot and Tesla has been really great with him. They showed him a lot of good will and it wasn't even a car they sold.

#3140 4 years ago

I have a Model 3. We have a 10 year old, a 5 year old in a car seat, and a 25 year old foreign exchange teacher living with us. It's not super comfortable, but we definitely fit in it and have driven multiple hours at a time together in it. I've sat in the back with this arrangement, and so long as the ten year old is in the center, I don't find it too uncomfortable. If we didn't have the car seat, I think it would be fine overall.

Especially if you don't think you'll be doing it regularly, it's no issue. It's a 5 seater, so unless you plan to get a mini van, I think it's equally as comfortable as any other 5 seater. Also, the 25 year old is over 6 feet tall and fits fine.

Only tip I have is if the driver is pretty tall (I am), put the car seat directly behind you, so thr passenger can be a bit more forward for back seat space.

#3141 4 years ago

I was looking for this photo and couldn't find it before. Felix, who is the guy in the right of the photo, sometimes sits in the back with no issues. I (the one on the left) has sat in the back when others have driven.

This was shortly before that skeleton drove this car around the parking lot by himself for a while

car (resized).jpgcar (resized).jpg
#3142 4 years ago

Thank you guys for the info! Has anyone had good luck finding reasonably priced insurance? I've been a Geico member for 20 years with no accidents/points and buying a Tesla jacks up my rate quite a bit. I get it, new car but it's like an extra $500 every 6 months!

#3144 4 years ago

that's very cool ^ , thanks

#3145 4 years ago

This graph isn't accurate. They are including plug-in hybrid vehicles like the Volt and plug in Fusion etc. The first true EV is the Ford Mach E and it isn't even out yet. A plug in hybrid is nothing more than a typical gas car with transmission, exhaust, gas tank and a tiny on board battery that nets you 40-50 EV miles.

#3146 4 years ago

This graph isn't accurate. They are including plug-in hybrid vehicles like the Volt and plug in Fusion etc. The first true EV is the Ford Mach E and it isn't even out yet. A plug in hybrid is nothing more than a typical gas car with transmission, exhaust, gas tank and a tiny on board battery that nets you 40-50 EV miles.

semi-true.. they ARE including plug-ins, but I would also assume they included fully EV vehicles like the nissan leaf, bmw i3, chevy bolt, toyota rav4 EV... and yet they still beat every car manufacturer

#3147 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

semi-true.. they ARE including plug-ins, but I would also assume they included fully EV vehicles like the nissan leaf, bmw i3, chevy bolt, toyota rav4 EV... and yet they still beat every car manufacturer

Toyota's Rav4 EV has not really been mass promoted and manufactured. It was more like a trial run than anything else from what I understood. Ford will have their first taste when the Mach-E starts getting delivered in quantity. Tesla is still pretty much the only real option for an EV right now in my mind.

#3148 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Toyota's Rav4 EV has not really been mass promoted and manufactured. It was more like a trial run than anything else from what I understood. Ford will have their first taste when the Mach-E starts getting delivered in quantity. Tesla is still pretty much the only real option for an EV right now in my mind.

True and the RAV EV had a Tesla powertrain in it! Apparently a pretty dodgy early design from what I can glean.

#3149 4 years ago

This graph isn't accurate. They are including plug-in hybrid vehicles like the Volt and plug in Fusion etc.

I think it's fair to include the Volt. Yes, it has a gas engine as a backup, but you don't have to use it. You can run it strictly electric, which is what I do >95% of the time. Great car. Too bad they don't make them any more.

#3150 4 years ago

Wow, that's very, very generous to big auto by including plug-in hybrids in the video.

Anyway I hope everyone took my advice to buy their stock a couple of years ago. I'm still long on TSLA!

BTW the best accounting I've seen on sales is here:
https://insideevs.com/news/343998/monthly-plug-in-ev-sales-scorecard/

There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3/page/63 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.