• Hard to part with fossil fuel 13 votes
    4%
  • I don't care about my carbon footprint 77 votes
    22%
  • No 138 votes
    39%

(354 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 310 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Used-2008-Tesla-Roadster-VERY-RARE-EXAMPLE-1-OF-2450 (1) (resized).jpg
truckla (resized).png
Windshield Crack 2 (resized).jpg
Windshield Crack 1 (resized).jpg
694B5F2C-8706-4CC9-BCDE-DACC5117CC5D (resized).jpeg
teslaorangepeel (resized).PNG
20190502_082736 (resized).jpg
20190502_082742 (resized).jpg
20190502_082723 (resized).jpg
BDD87E10-BCD9-4ED9-B9E8-6D1B54409F7E (resized).jpeg
C354352D-295A-42FF-A9BA-E34AF0780E0D (resized).jpeg
8ADA75C6-96F8-48B4-A309-53A6FFA229CD (resized).jpeg
thumbnail (resized).jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpg
IMG_5105 (resized).jpg
IMG_5104 (resized).jpg

There are 2926 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 59.
#2851 4 months ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I mean that’s bad news for Tesla if they are still losing money on every car delivered.

They aren't. This is one of the fundamental problems with the narrative the company and why it's so hard to properly value them. Tesla makes a lot of money on each car - in fact, their margins are some of the largest in the industry.

Quoted from Richthofen:

Tesla needs to turn around it’s margins and get profitable. It’s been 16 years since they were founded; they should be profitable. It’s not clear to me why they are still losing so much money despite their factories already having been built... unless they are just fundamentally too expensive parts or labor wise to make.

If Tesla wasn't trying to rapidly expand, they would have been sustainably profitable a long time. Their money goes to future product development (bringing one model to market by itself costs billions), factory development, charging infrastructure (which is almost completely overlooked in their valuations and by the people who think that a new electric VW currently competes with them - it doesn't due to lack of infrastructure), and so on. If Tesla was just making the Model S and X, they would be very profitable. If they stopped after the Model 3 spooled up, they would be very profitable. But, according to their mission statement, they aren't profit driven, so the money gets plowed into further developments quickly.

Quoted from Richthofen:

They’ve supplemented their losses by selling pollution credits. If GM and others sell enough EVs such that they don’t need to buy those credits from Tesla, Tesla’s losses would skyrocket.

This is very true, but if Tesla goes bankrupt because all of the other auto makers finally start making their fleets better, they will have accomplished their mission statement.

That's the thing here - if it wasn't for Tesla, all these other auto manufacturers would produce a terrible electric car or two and then beg for relief from "onerous regulations". Tesla has proven that these other auto manufacturers absolutely can produce a desirable electric vehicle, they are just currently choosing not to, which pushes governments to not give the regulatory relief to those manufacturers not doing it.

The thing here is that if people believe that the world is going to move to electric cars in the future, and quite frankly you should just because eventually oil will run out, then it means someone is going to push companies to do that. The companies that have pushed to convert before it's too late and they are stuck with a ton of legacy production equipment that is suddenly nearly worthless are going to be in a much better position than those who haven't.

The stock market is a big problem for legacy auto. The stock market wants bigger profits and they want them now, so investing in EV development when it may not be ready for prime time could send their stock down tons. If their gas cars aren't interesting enough to maintain sales, that could also send their stock prices plummeting, as they won't be able to afford the transition. They need stuff like this to survive and be able to point to so they can tell investors it's time to change, or else they will go out of business.

And finally, while Tesla may not survive, if GM and others start selling a ton more EVs, it is likely that the price of the batteries for them will fall quickly, and need to expand charging networks will diminish greatly. If battery price halves, Tesla will save more than the average pollution credit they have received. If Tesla isn't expanding the supercharger network, they will probably be in the same boat.

They'll be fine. It's a popular time to pile on them, but I think the next two or three earnings reports should make a lot of this narrative go away.

#2852 4 months ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The thing here is that if people believe that the world is going to move to electric cars in the future, and quite frankly you should just because eventually oil will run out, then it means someone is going to push companies to do that. The companies that have pushed to convert before it's too late and they are stuck with a ton of legacy production equipment that is suddenly nearly worthless are going to be in a much better position than those who haven't.

Thought this article was interesting today:
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/automakers-urge-white-house-california-to-restart-emissions-talks?fbclid=IwAR0oL9vOsisTEaRyxCsjxcR86qGFBicALYW9BpU_OIWGw1TnHky9V2z7NFM

"Gov. Gavin Newsom in an emailed statement, said a rollback of the standards would be bad for the climate and the economy"

Every company is tired of dealing with 2 standards. the lower 49 states.. and then california (and often canada adopts the same standards as california). Also they know that electric is the future to compete with the global auto market. So if this is the case, why is congress fighting against obama's clean air act?

#2853 4 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Thought this article was interesting today:
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/automakers-urge-white-house-california-to-restart-emissions-talks?fbclid=IwAR0oL9vOsisTEaRyxCsjxcR86qGFBicALYW9BpU_OIWGw1TnHky9V2z7NFM
"Gov. Gavin Newsom in an emailed statement, said a rollback of the standards would be bad for the climate and the economy"
Every company is tired of dealing with 2 standards. the lower 49 states.. and then california (and often canada adopts the same standards as california). Also they know that electric is the future to compete with the global auto market. So if this is the case, why is congress fighting against obama's clean air act?

Congress isn't, the EPA is acting nearly alone on it.

The auto companies wanted relaxed rules because as standards increase, it will become more expensive to meet them thus cutting into profits. I don't know what they were hoping for, as California always had exception to make their own rules, and since the new rules are both technically feasible and are costing less than was expected, they have no reason to defer to looser standards.

They felt Trump and the EPA would just make the standards a bit looser and then California would have to go along with it. Cali doesn't. And neither dow the 13 or 14 states that follow Cali's lead. In fact, I believe California could increase their standards once the new EPA rule goes into effect.

This was a greedy, short sighted attempt at a power grab by the auto industry, and I don't feel at all bad with them that it's going to blow up in their face. With all the mergers and acquisitions right now too - most discussing how they will be working together on... Electric car infrastructure! Whodathunkit?...the auto industry is trying to survive.

Tesla still has a leg up on all of legacy auto by not having a huge legacy business that could go defunct extremely quickly.

Remember, the coal industry's collapse didn't happen because ww stopped using coal, just when it was clear that the effort to continue to mine every last ton of it might stop before the resource is used up. If it's clear that [insert auto company here] doesn't have a future in ice cars, but they can't transition the lines quick enough and they have tons of unsold gas inventory, that house will collapse quickly.

According to Wall Street, the world is starting to buy less automobiles right now (and although it's obviously just one data point, the local dealers seem to have filled huge off-site lots with new inventory... And it's been said the manufacturers are pushing them to buy more even though sales haven't been keeping up), that could spell trouble. We've also got for thr first time multiple manufacturers advertising their EVs in major ways (I keep seeing Jaguar IPace billboards, I have seen the Audi etron commercial multiple times at restaurants without trying, and the VW NBA Finals one...) and we might be starting to see the osbourne effect as more people start to hold out for EVs.

I know at least six people that after seeing ours intend to buy an ev next, and I know now five people that bought Leafs thanks to ours, all of whom say they'll never buy another gas vehicle.

It's happening. And Detroit would be smart not to be left behind.

#2854 4 months ago

I know this isn't a tesla video but it seems be related.. Vox makes really great videos about all kinds of things, this one explains how the "new green deal" works and why it's important (and why it's difficult).

#2855 3 months ago

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/16/bob-lutz-improved-tesla-panel-gaps-are-now-world-class

“When I spied a metallic-red Model 3 in an Ann Arbor parking lot, I felt compelled to check it out.” Lutz was expecting to see evidence of the Tesla Model 3’s production hell writ large, in uneven panel gaps and imperfections in the paint work. But, when next to the car, I was stunned. Not only was the paint without any discernible flaw, but the various panels formed a body of precision that was beyond reproach. Gaps from hood to fenders, doors to frame, and all the others appeared to be perfectly even, equal side-to-side, and completely parallel. Gaps of 3.5 to 4.5mm are considered word-class. This Model 3 measured up"

#2856 3 months ago

Oh the horror

truckla (resized).png
#2857 3 months ago

tealsamino is a better name

1 week later
#2858 3 months ago

Oh how much fun this would be! I've had mine only at 150km/hr (93 mph)

1 week later
#2859 3 months ago

The UK consumer magazine 'Which?' (equivalent to US 'Consumer Reports', and independent as doesn't accept advertiser money, only subscribers) reported this:

Tesla Model 3 gets perfect score in crash test
'The latest Euro NCAP results reveal that the Tesla Model 3 has managed to get a perfect score in the front offset barrier crash'.

Quite impressive Mercedes doing well too.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/07/tesla-model-3-gets-perfect-score-in-crash-test/

3 weeks later
#2860 79 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:Oh the horror
[quoted image]

Yeah...seen the episode,complete madness.
Why?

#2861 78 days ago

Tesla pickup 2-3 months away, pretty sure that rendering is not even close to what it's going to look like.
https://electrek.co/2019/07/27/tesla-pickup-truck-close-ready-unveil-magic-details-musk/

1 week later
#2862 67 days ago

Jay Leno made an interesting statement: "“I predict a child born today probably has as much chance of driving in a gas car as people today have driving a car with a stick shift. They’ll still be around, there’s just not many of them,”

https://jalopnik.com/even-jay-leno-thinks-gasoline-cars-days-are-numbered-1837031875

1 week later
#2863 55 days ago

Kinda interesting viewpoint.

#2864 55 days ago

debating a 2016 model s, new model 3, kona, niro, or leaf plus right now. i rented a 2015 model S for last two days on turo.. it's nice and all but not the end of all other cars like that video suggests lol. plus last month they started removing free supercharging from the older models in their possession.

interested in AP1 as while limited, i just want a decent adaptive cruise control.. that doesn't do phantom braking I've been reading about the non mobileeye version. going to test drive then rent a 3 as well to see if reports are overblown.. these issues and reports of shitty service are my biggest hangups about tesla.. they are starting to show stress fractures i feel from being run more as a tech company/innovation focused.

#2865 55 days ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

debating a 2016 model s, new model 3, kona, niro, or leaf plus right now. i rented a 2015 model S for last two days on turo.. it's nice and all but not the end of all other cars like that video suggests lol. plus last month they started removing free supercharging from the older models in their possession.
interested in AP1 as while limited, i just want a decent adaptive cruise control.. that doesn't do phantom braking I've been reading about the non mobileeye version. going to test drive then rent a 3 as well to see if reports are overblown.. these issues and reports of shitty service are my biggest hangups about tesla.. they are starting to show stress fractures i feel from being run more as a tech company/innovation focused.

M3 adaptive cruise is really decent. Some phantom braking, usually on secondary roads. Have seen some on highways.

I've driven an S a few times, really prefer the 3.

#2866 55 days ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Kinda interesting viewpoint.

I love my Tesla but that is a little much, I thought it was going to be tongue and cheek with the whole conspiracy thing but those guys are freebasing the Kool-aid.

#2867 55 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I love my Tesla but that is a little much, I thought it was going to be tongue and cheek with the whole conspiracy thing but those guys are freebasing the Kool-aid.

Yah, they’ve definitely chugged the kool-aid back.

But I’ve also heard from other theorizers that “all cars will eventually look like Tesla model 3s.” Basically the model 3 slips through the air better then an F-1 race car. In the quest for fuel efficiency, aerodynamics will eventually come into play, and the model 3 is already leading the pack.

#2868 55 days ago

Basically the model 3 slips through the air better then an F-1 race car.

F1 cars are designed to do the opposite. Aero engineers are trying to maximize downforce in corners so they can pull 5 Gs.

#2869 55 days ago

Yah, they’ve definitely chugged the kool-aid back.
But I’ve also heard from other theorizers that “all cars will eventually look like Tesla model 3s.” Basically the model 3 slips through the air better then an F-1 race car. In the quest for fuel efficiency, aerodynamics will eventually come into play, and the model 3 is already leading the pack.

All that really is, is the smooth flat undercarriage and minimal grill only possible in an EV, frameless windows and the shaved door handles. None of it is new, groundbreaking or exclusive to Tesla. Removing the mirrors is the next major change that will come as far as aerodynamics. Cars have been moving toward a common shape long before Tesla. All cars striving for efficiency are aerodynamic. Tesla is just masterful at good marketing that everyone is following them. When really all car companies just use math and physics.

#2870 55 days ago

Tesla does absolutely 0 advertising.

#2871 55 days ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Tesla does absolutely 0 advertising.

I hear this a lot and they may not pay for traditional ad space or commercials but they certainly have marketing. They use particular phrasing, keywords and everything including video is on brand just like everyone else. Their aerodynamics and efficiency is a huge part of their marketing. Other car companies have not made this a major part of their branding but that does not mean Tesla invented it. The whole "slips through the air better than an F1 car" or "in the future all cars will look like the model 3" came out of a marketing department.

The whole no car has the range of a 2013 S is totally marketing. Technically the 85kw was rated for 265 the 60kw was 208. A Hyundai is rated for 258 if you pretend they two cars in the same class and cost than I guess you can make that claim. Again its not that Tesla is so far ahead its just that 250 miles is what makes sense.

#2872 55 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

just that 250 miles is what makes sense

My Model 3 gets 325 miles. The current long range Model S gets 370.
People do want more range, it's just expensive/difficult to get more into a production car.
I do think it says something that tesla offers 100mi more range than any other manufacturer

One thing I didn't really appreciate before owning an EV was what "range" really means and why range anxiety is a thing.

To keep the battery in better condition, you only charge it to ~80% normally (only charging to 100% for long trips). If you try to charge whenever it gets down to 20% in fear of running out of charge, that means you're really only using 60% of the battery capacity. This is good for the battery life, but if your car only has a 250 mile "range" that means you're actually charging it every 150 miles. If you have a home charger and plug it in every night maybe not a big deal, but if you rely on outside charging that's 150 miles between fillups is a LOT. My Model 3 gets almost 200 Mi between charges which is better, but if I could buy a car that went significantly farther, I would appreciate that.

#2873 54 days ago
Quoted from Adams:

My Model 3 gets 325 miles. The current long range Model S gets 370.
People do want more range, it's just expensive/difficult to get more into a production car.
I do think it says something that tesla offers 100mi more range than any other manufacturer
One thing I didn't really appreciate before owning an EV was what "range" really means and why range anxiety is a thing.
To keep the battery in better condition, you only charge it to ~80% normally (only charging to 100% for long trips). If you try to charge whenever it gets down to 20% in fear of running out of charge, that means you're really only using 60% of the battery capacity. This is good for the battery life, but if your car only has a 250 mile "range" that means you're actually charging it every 150 miles. If you have a home charger and plug it in every night maybe not a big deal, but if you rely on outside charging that's 150 miles between fillups is a LOT. My Model 3 gets almost 200 Mi between charges which is better, but if I could buy a car that went significantly farther, I would appreciate that.

I own a Model 3 LR myself the debate is not about range. My point is Tesla is not the only car company capable of building an EV with range. There are plenty of great EVs out there with respectable range. I was just pointing out this whole no one can make an EV with the range of a 2013 Model S is just marketing BS.

#2874 54 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I was just pointing out this whole no one can make an EV with the range of a 2013 Model S is just marketing BS.

Definitely true. I never believe anything Elon or Tesla Marketing say.

#2875 54 days ago
Quoted from JoshPA:

M3 adaptive cruise is really decent. Some phantom braking, usually on secondary roads. Have seen some on highways.
I've driven an S a few times, really prefer the 3.

so yesterday I took out a model 3 LR AWD for test drive... it is nice for sure. It's not a slam dunk though over the S for me. LR AWD for $48k vs 2016 Model S, AP1, pre-facelift 90D with air suspension for $53k ... given i have to move it in from outside california to get carpool lane access in california, that's extra $2k... so $55k. So yeah, more.. but not a ton more given how much these already cost.

the model 3 i drove just had autopilot training complete while we were on test drive, so i got to use it.. so, admittedly on the short 10 min test drive it seemed very comparable to AP1 for ACC purposes.

#2876 52 days ago

Here is your dealbreaker. Today they are about the same. Later this year with enhanced summon you are going to start seeing a gap between AP1 and AP2 getting wider and wider.

#2877 52 days ago

maybe, maybe not.. not clear to me that Autopilot-only AP2 will be anything significantly different than AP1 does now. for instance, talking to sales guy.. traffic lights are going to be part of FSD/not autopilot.

i personally also feel the FSD-AP2 features are much further away than elon thinks. not going to be shelling out $6k or more for vaporware.

either way, slight postponement as we refinance our house.. rates too good

#2878 52 days ago

I'm pretty sure Tesla sales are the least reliable people on earth. AP1 development is done, there will be no further features. AP2 will be significantly better, in every way, AP1 will never make it to full self driving.

Now, when these features are coming is an entirely different matter. I am guessing that the gap between AP1 and AP2 will start to widen inside of 12 months. Who knows though.

Quoted from sd_tom:

maybe, maybe not.. not clear to me that Autopilot-only AP2 will be anything significantly different than AP1 does now. for instance, talking to sales guy.. traffic lights are going to be part of FSD/not autopilot.

i personally also feel the FSD-AP2 features are much further away than elon thinks. not going to be shelling out $6k or more for vaporware.

either way, slight postponement as we refinance our house.. rates too good

#2879 52 days ago
Quoted from jalpert:

AP1 development is done, there will be no further features.

Agree - which to use other cars terms: Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Centering, Lane Change Assist

Quoted from jalpert:

AP2 will be significantly better, in every way,

This is where I think we disagree.. AP2/3 with FSD package, yes.. but AP2 for the functions above.. I don't see how you can do better than AP1, short of traffic light recognition and that's going to be put into FSD.. not only sales guy, but website.. under: Full Self-Driving Capability>Coming Next Year>Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs. And at least today, it seems like the AP1 adaptive cruise is less finicky than AP2 adaptive cruise (phantom braking reports, etc)

Quoted from jalpert:

AP1 will never make it to full self driving.

Agreed; not concerned about that

#2880 52 days ago

I have friends that say they have less issues with AP1 cars - phantom breaking, etc. I've used AP1 on loaners for a few hundred miles and it was pretty solid.

#2881 52 days ago

Maybe for the functions you specifically listed, there are just so many others that don't require full self driving that are crippled or non existent on AP1

Quoted from sd_tom:

but AP2 for the functions above

#2883 48 days ago

Bethany McLean, one of the investigative journalists who cracked open Enron and wrote the book, The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron, just wrote a pretty scorching article about the Solar City acquisition.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/08/how-elon-musk-gambled-tesla-to-save-solarcity

1 week later
#2884 38 days ago

Hope Tesla comes out with their new roadster soon, that's some serious drifting on the new porsche

#2885 35 days ago

Rather expensive compared to Tesla offerings.

#2886 35 days ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Rather expensive compared to Tesla offerings.

no, the new tesla roadster starts at $200k. the porsche taycan starts at $151k. comparing apples to apples.

#2887 34 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

no, the new tesla roadster starts at $200k. the porsche taycan starts at $151k. comparing apples to apples.

Looks and performs pretty much like my model S (with two less doors). Costs a lot more. I can’t drift tho (as far as I know, never tried)

#2888 34 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Stick to your Toyotas. There is no comparison of the Taycan to the Roadster. The Roadster is faster ,longer range, Autopilot etc.
It's not even as good as a Tesla Model S performance . Heck my Model 3 Performance is almost as fast off the line.
Tesla best bang for the buck

1 week later
#2889 24 days ago

Went to Tesla and test drove the long range dual motor model 3. Incredible vehicle. I see why people are so passionate about these cars. The acceleration is intoxicating. Picking it up in a week or so.

#2890 24 days ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Went to Tesla and test drove the long range dual motor model 3. Incredible vehicle. I see why people are so passionate about these cars. The acceleration is intoxicating. Picking it up in a week or so.

Yep ... never going back to an ICE vehicle. Congrats.

#2891 24 days ago

Is the dual motor the Performance one?

#2892 24 days ago

Dual motor can be either - performance or regular acceleration. But performance is always dual motor.

#2893 24 days ago

I went in there wanting the mid range dual motor. I didn’t want the performance as the bigger wheels, upgraded brakes and lowered suspension was not a priority. So I test drove the long range dual motor and thought it was so fast and amazing. But they did not have my colour combo. Blue exterior with white interior.

The very clever salesman said they had a low mileage demo with my color combo but it was the performance version. He told me to take it out for a drive. As soon as I hammered the skinny pedal the first time, I was sold. The acceleration was incredible. Had I never driven it, I would have been blissfully unaware.

Pinster68,

Thanks, I’m very excited to pick it up. Just need to have a nema 14-50 installed. Unless I have 200 amp service. Then we will look at hpwc.

Cheers

#2894 24 days ago

Are these that fun to drive? Don't they feel to luxury compared to sport cars?

Have been thinking of getting one but somehow feel it looks odd and ugly in various angles.

#2895 24 days ago

I went in there wanting the mid range dual motor. I didn’t want the performance as the bigger wheels, upgraded brakes and lowered suspension was not a priority. So I test drove the long range dual motor and thought it was so fast and amazing. But they did not have my colour combo. Blue exterior with white interior.
The very clever salesman said they had a low mileage demo with my color combo but it was the performance version. He told me to take it out for a drive. As soon as I hammered the skinny pedal the first time, I was sold. The acceleration was incredible. Had I never driven it, I would have been blissfully unaware.
Pinster68,
Thanks, I’m very excited to pick it up. Just need to have a nema 14-50 installed. Unless I have 200 amp service. Then we will look at hpwc.
Cheers

They say the wall charger will give you 50% more than a mobile charger, but it's something like 5 hours to top the car off on mobile with a NEMA -50 plug. Depending on your driving, it might not be worth it. Consider going with the receptacle so you can use it for other things. I have a 6-50 in the driveway with my mobile charger, and I can still use it to plug in a welder if I need it.

#2896 24 days ago
Quoted from pninja005:

The reverse is true they feel way more sporty than they feel luxury. The fit, finish and service on a Tesla is the biggest gap compared to other luxury sedans especially the German ones. What will impress you over the competition is the performance and how fun they are to drive. The accuracy and response of single pedal driving will amaze you. I find it even more impressive outside the legal bounds. It feels just as sporty on a late night mountain highway at 225km (140mph) as it does with regular driving.

#2897 23 days ago

How does the resale on Tesla’s compare to other cars?

#2898 21 days ago

Very favorably.
https://electrek.co/2019/01/24/tesla-model-3-tops-resale-value-report/

" . . . Model 3 topped the electric vehicle category – though it would have also taken the top positions in other categories if it would have been included. . . If Model 3 was included in either the “luxury car” or “midsize car” categories, it would have topped both of them by a wide margin."

#2899 21 days ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

that doesn't do phantom braking I've been reading about the non mobileeye version.

I may be way too late on this, but for the most part what I've seen with our 3 is that the 'phantom braking' issues aren't really 'phantom', it's more so that the DOT has changed the speed limit in an area and hasn't readjusted the maps to reflect that change yet, OR that you are driving under a road with a different speed limit. You can tell if this is the issue by looking and seeing if it has adjusted your speed.

It's annoying, but it isn't terrible by any means. I've probably done 5000 miles on autopilot now, and once you know about that, I simply press the accelerator slightly for instance near the interchange by my house that when I go under it, the car tries to adjust to the speed you're supposed to take on the interchange itself.

Quoted from pninja005:

Have been thinking of getting one but somehow feel it looks odd and ugly in various angles.

I think the 3 is two different things.

The first is, it's an absolute blast to drive. I own an AWD Model 3, not even the Performance model, and it accelerates as fast as this launched coaster does:

Being able to launch like that anywhere I want is amazing, and if you want you can use it often. I accelerate off red lights (to the speed limit) quickly often just for fun. I can accelerate on the on-ramp to hit freeway speed in a few seconds. It's an absolute blast. It corners like it's on rails, and it is the closest I've ever felt to being able to drive a roller coaster. I expected I'd like how the car handled a lot when I got it, but I'm *stunned* by how great it is.

The other thing though that surprised me, it's also the most relaxing car I've ever driven. Now, I haven't owned "luxury" cars in the past but I've gotten to drive and be in an bunch of them, and they always to me felt like cars that were slightly quicker and quieter than others with more do-dads in the them.

The minimalistic interior of the 3 makes it feel totally different. By being electric, it's quicker (torque-wise) and quieter than any of those non-electrics I've driven.

But, it removes all the friction that I used to have between myself and the cars that I was driving. Get in, it's already on. Press the brake pedal, and it recognizes my phone and adjusts everything to my settings from driver profile stuff (like how it handles steering and acceleration) to mirrors, to temperature controls and practically everything but my rear view mirror.

When I drive, if I want to go faster I push the pedal. Slow? Just release the pedal, it doesn't just roll at that speed because of the regenerative braking, so it starts slowing instantly. It's amazing when you come up to a curve and you don't need to hit the brake because just lifting off the pedal will slow you down enough. Then, to go faster you push down. In my prior cars, there was always this hesitation I felt like I had to calculate for when I hit the pedal - not so with this, it just goes. Right that second.

At stop lights, once you have stopped you push down the brake pedal slightly and it puts the car into "hold" mode, so you can move your foot off the brake pedal. While this doesn't sound like much, it takes away another thing that I'd otherwise be thinking about.

Between those two things, it feels like a hell of a sporty, hell of a luxury car. It's not the traditional luxury. But I'm happy to not have buttons and crap all over the place because the car just does it all for me automatically.

And then finally, the over the air updates are such a game changer. I remember the last car that I got had updates for it about a year after I got mine that made me wish I had the new model. With this thing, every about two weeks, it gets a new update that makes it better, so I'm never jealous wishing I had a different car. Some of the updates have been really small and silly, while others have done things like made the car 5% faster than it was before. That's incredible. My other car, Nissan wants $500 to update the map on it. The 3 has live data. And the pricing between the two isn't that crazy different.

My *only* regret is some days, I really wish I got the Performance model. But I really liked the Aero wheels, and until recently, Performance with Aero wasn't an option

#2900 20 days ago

What about insurance? I’m hearing these things are very expensive to insure?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 209.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 99.95
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 79.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
$ 1,200.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 24.50
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 2926 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 59.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside