• Hard to part with fossil fuel 13 votes
    4%
  • I don't care about my carbon footprint 77 votes
    22%
  • No 138 votes
    39%

(354 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 310 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Used-2008-Tesla-Roadster-VERY-RARE-EXAMPLE-1-OF-2450 (1) (resized).jpg
truckla (resized).png
Windshield Crack 2 (resized).jpg
Windshield Crack 1 (resized).jpg
694B5F2C-8706-4CC9-BCDE-DACC5117CC5D (resized).jpeg
teslaorangepeel (resized).PNG
20190502_082736 (resized).jpg
20190502_082742 (resized).jpg
20190502_082723 (resized).jpg
BDD87E10-BCD9-4ED9-B9E8-6D1B54409F7E (resized).jpeg
C354352D-295A-42FF-A9BA-E34AF0780E0D (resized).jpeg
8ADA75C6-96F8-48B4-A309-53A6FFA229CD (resized).jpeg
thumbnail (resized).jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpg
IMG_5105 (resized).jpg
IMG_5104 (resized).jpg

There are 2926 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 59.
#2801 4 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Just did! Love both. Just try one, it’s better than hypnosis.

I try this one every once in awhile at work as it is in a general set of fleet cars. Ok to drive, but no soul. My '01 Beetle turbo is more fun. Plus, every engineer here floors it and it's in some kind of restricted mode until we get it fixed. Has to be taken/shipped to Cleveland or Chicago I'm told.....

Drove it to Kalamazoo the other day (280 mile round trip) had to stop in Marshall to charge it. No fun to charge it there. Nothing to do there.

20190502_082723 (resized).jpg20190502_082736 (resized).jpg20190502_082742 (resized).jpg
#2802 4 months ago

I recently purchased an older Landcruiser to avoid the 2019 screen control system. Too many vital functions tied to a screen that can malfunction. Give me analog controls all day so out in the middle of nowhere I can get home and patch if necessary.
Liked it when it was against the law to have a screen the driver could see, it is distracting and dangerous. Drivers don't need any more distractions.

#2803 4 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Remember when they said no one would use a phone without a keyboard or at least number buttons. It’s just being two steps behind, who even knows a phone number or dials it anymore.

I do think the physical keyboard was easier to use though.. muscle memory / feeling out the keys is a useful thing, the article isn't wrong about that. i.e., I needed auto correct far less with real keys than I do now. So, it's a compromise not a slam dunk IMHO.

Did you all catch the Rivian 'pull out kitchen' from earlier this month:
https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-r1t-envisions-mobile-kitchen-overlanding/

#2804 4 months ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I do think the physical keyboard was easier to use though.. muscle memory / feeling out the keys is a useful thing, the article isn't wrong about that. i.e., I needed auto correct far less with real keys than I do now. So, it's a compromise not a slam dunk IMHO.
Did you all catch the Rivian 'pull out kitchen' from earlier this month:
https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-r1t-envisions-mobile-kitchen-overlanding/

If you aren't looking at the keys and are watching the letters appear on screen that is all the feedback you need. If you learned to type on a keyboard its going to be easier. My kids can type at least twice as fast on a screen than they can on a keyboard. They also type on a screen without looking at all because they learned to text holding their phones under the desk in the classroom so not to get caught. Its only easier because your old and learned using the crutch of feeling the keys. Muscle memory works just as well without touching anything.

I personally think Rivian is going the wrong direction with their pick up. The green camping adventure crowd is not that big a market as compared to the working man, company pick up, red neck demographic. They don't want a pull out kitchen they want a tough lean truck. Companies buy fleets of work trucks.

#2805 4 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

If you aren't looking at the keys and are watching the letters appear on screen that is all the feedback you need.

So, guess you didn't read the article.. that's was the main point.. you have to LOOK at the display to use it.. vs feeling your way around physical cockpit while keeping your eyes on the road. i.e, I can move my arm and find "EV/Hybrid/Battery Hold" button on my PHEV without looking down cause I know where it is and finger tips can sense the rest.

as well as I think Rivian is smart here.. this adventure niche they are carving out will be around even after Ford/Chevy/GM show up with EV trucks.. so, it has more longevity to it (smaller market, sure.. but perfect for a startup) than being creamed by the big 3 later and having their market eroded overnight. Will it always be a boutique thing, sure. do you have to be as big as Ford to be successful? No..

#2806 4 months ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on both fronts.. as a software engineer, I type all day long and still prefer keys vs screens (hey, my PC keyboard is still a physical keyboard!) as well as I think Rivian is smart here.. this adventure niche they are carving out will be around even after Ford/Chevy/GM show up with EV trucks.. so, it has more longevity to it (smaller market, sure.. but perfect for a startup) than being creamed by the big 3 later and having their market eroded overnight. Will it always be a boutique thing, sure. do you have to be as big as Ford to be successful? No..

I'm a software engineer myself and actually did a lot of work on touch screens as part of factory automation. I was involved in all touch screen vs actual button almost 20 years ago. There are use cases for both but there is no issue with the touch screen in a car. Its the perfect use case for it. All of the actions on the screen are secondary. All the primary operations of the car use physical controls. It's great UI.

As to Rivian I think Tesla made the right move with their semi and will do the same with their pick up. You go after the fleet business first, you sell to the people that buy big numbers. Tesla has major orders in hand with the Budweiser, Amazon, Pepsi of the world. (I can't remember the actual companies so that list may be inaccurate) When they market their pick up I would not be surprised if they don't go the same route. Rivian will probably course correct now that, is it Ford and Amazon, have come in as major investors? Sorry I again can't remember who bought into Rivian.

#2807 4 months ago

It was Ford that bought into Rivian.

#2808 4 months ago

That is some crazy f'n orange peel going on there. Just like one I saw locally. Not knocking them, but it is what it is. I like to do my own maintenance, so will not be an early adopter.

teslaorangepeel (resized).PNG

#2809 4 months ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

It was Ford that bought into Rivian.

I looked it up Ford is in for $500M, Amazon is in for $700M and Standard Chartered Back in is for $200M. I gotta think Amazon is going to get a fleet of these as delivery trucks first.

#2810 4 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

That is some crazy f'n orange peel going on there. Just like one I saw locally. Not knocking them, but it is what it is. I like to do my own maintenance, so will not be an early adopter.
[quoted image]

Not much maintenance to an electric car. Refilling window washer fluid. Tire Rotation . Brake pads after quite a while. The electric motors in Teslas have been tested to over 1 million miles. Not nearly the maintenance that an ICE car requires. That's the reason Legacy Car Manufacturers have been slow at adoption.
Maintenance is where they make all their money.

#2811 4 months ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Not much maintenance to an electric car. Refilling window washer fluid. Tire Rotation . Brake pads after quite a while. The electric motors in Teslas have been tested to over 1 million miles. Not nearly the maintenance that an ICE car requires. That's the reason Legacy Car Manufacturers have been slow at adoption.
Maintenance is where they make all their money.

+$700 brake job

+$2k console replacement...

6 month plus wait for repairs.

I will not be an early adopter. I encourage everyone else to be though. When it's all sorted out, I'll be a buyer.

#2812 4 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

+$700 brake job
+$2k console replacement...
I will not be an early adopter. I encourage everyone else to be though. When it's all sorted out, I'll be a buyer.

You ever own a BMW? How much is a brake job there? Also, the regenerative braking at the motor significantly reduces brake wear.

Why would you need a console replacement? You can play that game with anything. How much is a replacement transmission or an engine? Just silly.

Repairs can take long, but obviously that’s not the norm. Something they probably need to improve though.

#2813 4 months ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I recently purchased an older Landcruiser to avoid the 2019 screen control system. Too many vital functions tied to a screen that can malfunction. Give me analog controls all day so out in the middle of nowhere I can get home and patch if necessary.
Liked it when it was against the law to have a screen the driver could see, it is distracting and dangerous. Drivers don't need any more distractions.

Evolution is inevitable, your ability to adapt and survive is not.

#2814 4 months ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

You ever own a BMW? How much is a brake job there? Also, the regenerative braking at the motor significantly reduces brake wear.
Why would you need a console replacement? You can play that game with anything. How much is a replacement transmission or an engine? Just silly.
Repairs can take long, but obviously that’s not the norm. Something they probably need to improve though.

I had read an article about a guy who put 200k miles on a Tesla and he had detailed his repair costs. The screen/console had failed and cost $2k to replace. It's not really silly. I don't expect the engine or transmission on a Honda to just fail. I've never had one fail and I've owned quite a few.

I'd never own a BMW. I've heard enough horror stories about reliability. I have owned a couple of VW TDIs. I won't do that again. The engine (1.9 ALH diesel) was bulletproof with a few mods. The rest of it was not.

#2815 4 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I had read an article about a guy who put 200k miles on a Tesla and he had detailed his repair costs. The screen/console had failed and cost $2k to replace. It's not really silly. I don't expect the engine or transmission on a Honda to just fail. I've never had one fail and I've owned quite a few.
I'd never own a BMW. I've heard enough horror stories about reliability. I have owned a couple of VW TDIs. I won't do that again. The engine (1.9 ALH diesel) was bulletproof with a few mods. The rest of it was not.

It’s weird. My screen “failed” (got a light yellow bar down one side) and they replaced it free. Maybe out of warranty. I’d actually like to read that article. Was there actually a $700 brake replacement? I practically never put my foot on the brake pedal.

#2816 4 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It’s weird. My screen “failed” (got a light yellow bar down one side) and they replaced it free. Maybe out of warranty. I’d actually like to read that article. Was there actually a $700 brake replacement? I practically never put my foot on the brake pedal.

Here you go. Also, note the $515 door handle replacement. I want EV to succeed, but I'm not paying those prices and I want to be able to fix it myself if possible.

https://insideevs.com/news/351491/tesla-long-term-cost-ownership-analysis/

#2817 4 months ago

I've researched some of the out of warranty repair costs on the Model S. $2000 for a screen is cheaper than it used to be. Used to be $2800 then $2200.
I've seen people getting 7 door handles replaced on the same car (actual fix is just a $30 harness with 2 microswitches and you can find these on ebay) but getting the assembly out is very labor intensive and usually bills for $700-900.
Worst case scenario on a brake job was $4800 and they changed out all the calipers, all the rotors, and the parking brake components.

Remember that the model S is still an expensive luxury car ala Jaguar and expect to pay Jaguar sized bills on repairs, especially since the only place to get most parts or service is at dealership prices. I would expect them to be higher as they have only make 170,000 model S cars over an 8 year span, making it a super low production car.

Then again my Ford Ranger ended up needing it's heads replaced at only 80,000 miles just barely out of my extended warranty period, for a known production problem (they had a service bulletin specifically for a batch of bad production heads dated less than 2 weeks after I purchased the truck. I found it when gas mileage suddenly dropped 30% nearly overnight. They wanted to charge be $2800 for the job and I negotiated it down a little but they should have covered this as a courtesy as they knew the problem existed and did nothing to correct it before my warranty expired.

All that being said I'm still looking to get a model S that is out of the bumper to bumper warranty but still has 2 years or so of the 8 year unlimited drivetrain warranty on it. As long as I can get the parts I figure I can fix any of the non-high voltage stuff myself, but that unlimited warranty will protect me for a couple years on the super expensive stuff. Higher the mileage the better as if I can get anything big to die in that 2 year period I'll likely end up with better newer parts to weather out the fully out of warranty years.

#2818 4 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Here you go. Also, note the $515 door handle replacement. I want EV to succeed, but I'm not paying those prices and I want to be able to fix it myself if possible.

Also they don't have those style handles on the "cheaper" model 3.

wish they would have just jumped right into doing a real economy EV. Forget the dozens and dozens of motors in the damn thing. Don't need the extra added costs just to have stuff fail in the future.
Motors for folding the mirrors, moving the mirrors (6) Motors in the seats (at least 6) motors for the windows (4) motors/latches for opening the frunk, trunk, glovebox, charging port, (4+) motors/latches to pop the doors open, motors for the door locks (4) motors to control the air conditioning vent direction. All of this stuff also eats up range. Maybe not much, but it all eventually adds up (and the model S has even more, with self closing hatches)
Make me a fleet vehicle without all that stuff. So much less effort in moving those things manually than trying to page through menus on a touch screen to adjust them.
Would people buy these cars?? "experts" say no. They say people want these comfort features and those are the models that sell. I say that's BS and what sells is what they put on the lots and most people can't access the fleet vehicle versions. The horrible negotiating price feature of buying a car means less people order cars to their spec as it's going to be full price going that route. I didn't want a white truck, but they were sold out of blue and to order a blue one would have meant paying over $2k more (and the color wasn't an upcharge). The car manufacturers make more money on these added features and that's why they get pushed.

#2819 4 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm still not understanding how you are concerned about maintenance costs after reading an article detailing the positive financial benefits of owning the Tesla relative to any other ICE, even with those repair costs. I've scrapped my last 3 cars at 200k miles because they were under water relative to the repairs needed, and the maintenance costs to get to that point were definitely higher than this article.
Also that $15k in gas savings pays for all those repairs 3x over.

#2820 4 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Thanks for the link. I do wish they would be more diy friendly (but what can you expect, we are pinball people after all).

#2821 4 months ago

To drive an ice car 200,000 miles you would have to on average get 40 oil changes. There is a cost to that. Even if you do it yourself. Your time is worth how much? While an ICE car driver goes out to purchase his favorite oil, drain the oil then put in the new oil. Then drive to recycle the old oil. EV drivers are enjoying their cars. Sounds like more fun to me.

#2822 4 months ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

To drive an ice car 200,000 miles you would have to on average get 40 oil changes. There is a cost to that. Even if you do it yourself. Your time is worth how much? While an ICE car driver goes out to purchase his favorite oil, drain the oil then put in the new oil. Then drive to recycle the old oil. EV drivers are enjoying their cars. Sounds like more fun to me.

I'm almost angry that I need to do an oil change on the Jeep tomorrow. Helps that I have a lift but the Tesla is going to be laughing at me in the next bay when I do it.

#2823 4 months ago

Anyone have any experience buying a used Tesla through the Tesla website? I’ve been keeping an eye out for used Tesla Model S’s. Looking at low mileage 2013-2015’s. I currently have a Nissan Leaf and can charge for free at work. Range is only about 50 miles on it so would eventually like to upgrade. Have 3 boys so would like a bit more space than the Model 3.

#2824 4 months ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

The newer (and I use that term loosely) have 10,000 mile defined or computed based on usage & conditions oil change intervals. My wife's GM Envoy I-6 averages a change required at 12,000 miles. And that's with fossil oil meeting the GM spec (6094-?).

Also, I value my free time at $150.00/hr.

#2825 4 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Would you like me to find posts where transmissions and engines crap out before 200k miles? It won’t be very hard and I’ll find a lot of examples. I’m also personally owned Honda’s that haven’t made it to 200k. I’m hoping my Toyota Prius lasts that long for my kids (currently 140k), but it’s a piece if crap now and wouldn’t be surprised if it did t make it.

A mini coopers or any bmw usually is 1k for brakes at the dealership. This includes pads, rotors and labor. Throw in belts, fluids, and oil change maintenance over the life of the vehicle and it will seriously add up.

#2826 4 months ago

Kind of funny, I just typed Honda transmission failure into google and this is what came up. I get those are older models, but still. Transmissions and engines have a lot of moving parts, things can easily go wrong.
694B5F2C-8706-4CC9-BCDE-DACC5117CC5D (resized).jpeg

#2827 4 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The newer (and I use that term loosely) have 10,000 mile defined or computed based on usage & conditions oil change intervals. My wife's GM Envoy I-6 averages a change required at 12,000 miles. And that's with fossil oil meeting the GM spec (6094-?).

You really use a lot of your information loosely. GM's page explaining Oil life monitor says up to 7500 miles not 10,000 or 12,000 miles

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/technology/what-your-oil-life-monitor-tells-you

#2828 4 months ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

You really use a lot of your information loosely. GM's page explaining Oil life monitor says up to 7500 miles not 10,000 or 12,000 miles
https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/technology/what-your-oil-life-monitor-tells-you

I use the owner's manual, not a website. So, when there are 7500 miles on the oil and the % life remaining says 40% you think I'm gonna change the oil?

I'm telling you exactly how the system works in my wife's GMC Envoy. You change the oil when the display says 0% life left. Or sooner if you wish. Once below 10%, the display comes on upon start-up to show you're getting close to the 0% mark.

Hers has the info center, not just the indicator lamp if that matters.

#2829 4 months ago

My corvette had that, but I never made it to 7,500 miles before it needed an oil change. Luckily, my first 3 were free and it took like 9 quarts. Dry sump system and all for performance...cost was little over $100.

#2830 4 months ago
Quoted from enjoyvelvet:

Anyone have any experience buying a used Tesla through the Tesla website? I’ve been keeping an eye out for used Tesla Model S’s. Looking at low mileage 2013-2015’s. I currently have a Nissan Leaf and can charge for free at work. Range is only about 50 miles on it so would eventually like to upgrade. Have 3 boys so would like a bit more space than the Model 3.

Spend some time on the TeslaMotorsClub forum to get lots of feedback on this.

#2832 4 months ago

For what it's worth, here's my auto costs:

I've owned 5 cars in my life. All mustangs. 1995-2018 so far. 4 I bought new, one I bought with about 15k miles on it. The new ones I buy when the next model year is coming out and the rebates on the old model year are high. I get the V6, but usually upgrade to the premium version with leather, upgraded sound system, etc.

I drive about 20k miles a year (70 miles a day to and from work). I trade in my car when it gets to about 4-5 years old and 80-100k miles. To get a new model usually costs me about $13k out of pocket after the trade-in value.

I spend about $1500 a year on gas, and maybe $200 a year on oil changes and whatever typical maintenance comes with that. I don't think I've paid for a repair since my first mustang. The newer ones have had a few issues like sensors going out, but those have always happened in the first 20k miles and have been under warranty.

So my all-in cost to drive a new-ish model mustang is about $5000/year for 20k miles and around 400 hours of use.

I work in IT in KC. My co-workers are the typical nerdy people you would think would be interested in electric vehicles, but I don't know a single one that has a Tesla or has ever even mentioned one. Nearly all of them drive SUVs. With commute distances so high, it makes more sense to fill up with gas for 3 minutes vs charge for an hour.

#2833 4 months ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I work in IT in KC. My co-workers are the typical nerdy people you would think would be interested in electric vehicles, but I don't know a single one that has a Tesla or has ever even mentioned one. Nearly all of them drive SUVs. With commute distances so high, it makes more sense to fill up with gas for 3 minutes vs charge for an hour.

My commute is close to 150 miles a day, which I consider very long and my model 3 handles it fine without me ever waiting to charge. You get home, you plug in and the next day you’re off, it’s actually WAY more convenient than having me stop every 2 1/2 days for gas.

I work with Marines and others in security and there are plenty buying them or consistently asking me about it. There are 3 in my work parking lot alone. I’m near DC.

#2834 4 months ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Kind of funny, I just typed Honda transmission failure into google and this is what came up. I get those are older models, but still. Transmissions and engines have a lot of moving parts, things can easily go wrong.

But in general, with proper care and maintenance, they don't. My thing is I don't want to be forced to use the dealer to fix shit. That's always the most expensive option. If I don't have the option to service it myself, I won't buy it.

Now please have a go at googling "Tesla screen replacement". I'll pass. And that's a display screen, not a transmission with lots of moving parts.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/screen-replacement-after-warranty

#2835 4 months ago

Okay, I’m not going to convince you, it sounds like this is just too big of a chance for you. For me, it didn’t even enter my brain housing group.

I’m enjoying my new car and I’m happy to support the company trying to disrupt the car and oil business. For me, they are worth supporting. Doesn’t hurt the car is absolutely amazing.

Fortune favors the bold

#2836 4 months ago

We test drove a model X yesterday. It was our first Tesla to drive and we were very impressed.

I do all of the maintenance on our vehicles and can’t wait to ditch an ICE car for an electric.

#2837 4 months ago
Quoted from loneacer:

For what it's worth, here's my auto costs:
I've owned 5 cars in my life. All mustangs. 1995-2018 so far. 4 I bought new, one I bought with about 15k miles on it. The new ones I buy when the next model year is coming out and the rebates on the old model year are high. I get the V6, but usually upgrade to the premium version with leather, upgraded sound system, etc.
I drive about 20k miles a year (70 miles a day to and from work). I trade in my car when it gets to about 4-5 years old and 80-100k miles. To get a new model usually costs me about $13k out of pocket after the trade-in value.
I spend about $1500 a year on gas, and maybe $200 a year on oil changes and whatever typical maintenance comes with that. I don't think I've paid for a repair since my first mustang. The newer ones have had a few issues like sensors going out, but those have always happened in the first 20k miles and have been under warranty.
So my all-in cost to drive a new-ish model mustang is about $5000/year for 20k miles and around 400 hours of use.

I suspect you are saving a lot on insurance and taxes as well over a Tesla because of the tax value (and insurance replacement value) of the Mustang compared to a Tesla.

#2838 4 months ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Okay, I’m not going to convince you, it sounds like this is just too big of a chance for you. For me, it didn’t even enter my brain housing group.
I’m enjoying my new car and I’m happy to support the company trying to disrupt the car and oil business. For me, they are worth supporting. Doesn’t hurt the car is absolutely amazing.
Fortune favors the bold

Well yeah. You are an early adopter and I’m not. And that’s OK. It’s a means of transportation for me. I value cheap and reliable above all else.

#2839 4 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

My first ALH TDI engine that I did ~350k miles on before losing it to a stuck oil pump chain, I was doing 15K intervals of Shell Rotella full synthetic for most of its life. When I tore it down and sold the parts off, that shit looked new. No excessive wear.

#2840 4 months ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

My commute is close to 150 miles a day, which I consider very long and my model 3 handles it fine without me ever waiting to charge. You get home, you plug in and the next day you’re off, it’s actually WAY more convenient than having me stop every 2 1/2 days for gas.
I work with Marines and others in security and there are plenty buying them or consistently asking me about it. There are 3 in my work parking lot alone. I’m near DC.

Not having to deal with gas stations would be cool. My VW has a small gas tank and even though it gets good mpg's, I have to fill up frequently. Still, it only takes literally 2 minutes to pull over, fill up, and get back on the road. Same for oil changes. It would be great to not have that hassle but hardly a selling point imo. I use synthetic and only need to change oil a few times a year. Most cars can easily do 200,000 miles with basic maintenance. Anything that does go wrong is typically easy to fix in any shop. I don't know if that is true for Tesla's. I heard stories that it can be tough to get parts and you have to get work done in a Tesla approved shop. Minor damage from an accident can amount to huge repair bills.

#2841 4 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Not having to deal with gas stations would be cool. My VW has a small gas tank and even though it gets good mpg's, I have to fill up frequently. Still, it only takes literally 2 minutes to pull over, fill up, and get back on the road. Same for oil changes. It would be great to not have that hassle but hardly a selling point imo. I use synthetic and only need to change oil a few times a year. Most cars can easily do 200,000 miles with basic maintenance. Anything that does go wrong is typically easy to fix in any shop. I don't know if that is true for Tesla's. I heard stories that it can be tough to get parts and you have to get work done in a Tesla approved shop. Minor damage from an accident can amount to huge repair bills.

It would be interesting to see your VW’s recommenced maintenance for the first 200k from the dealer, and the associated costs added up.

#2842 4 months ago

My windshield got hit by a stone on the way home from work on Friday. The crack was about 4 inches long. Since then it's been growing and is now about 35" long. I called Tesla Tampa on Monday and they said that they would have to order a new windshield but it could take a couple of weeks. I called them the next day (Tuesday) to investigate if another company could do the replacement and they looked at my file and said that the windshield had arrived! Dropping it off after work today. Hoping for a Tesla loaner (requested one).
I'm pleasantly surprised at the speed of service!

Windshield Crack 1 (resized).jpgWindshield Crack 2 (resized).jpg
#2843 4 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Anyone agree or disagree with this article? I tend to agree and not just about Tesla's screen. Trying to use any fixed screen, phone or tablet sized, when even driving as a passenger sucks.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90356020/3-reasons-why-teslas-dashboard-touch-screens-suck

I saw this article and wished I could comment on it because it's super skewed I think.

The thing about the Model 3 (and I assume the others?) is that since your profile remembers everything, once you set it, you go. The car remembers exactly how I like...

- Vents
- Mirrors
- Seats
- Steering Wheel
- Temperature
- Driving settings

...probably more I'm forgetting. The only things I ever do are change music tracks (using the wheel scroll thing) and turn on and off defrosters, which I can do when I am driving without looking. I supposed sometimes I change the temperature by a degree or two, but it's on auto and I put my hand near the temperature and slide it left or right and it changes automatically.

Compared to the Leaf that we own, which I don't use the touch screen on at all when driving because it's terribly difficult to use and unresponsive so you DO have to keep staring at it, the rest of the car I have to fiddle with knobs and buttons regularly to do things since they aren't saved, which I do during driving, and is definitely less safe than the car saving every little detail and working.

#2844 4 months ago

Full disclosure, I stopped reading this thread a long time ago. The arguments aren't interesting to me.

I've had my Model 3 for 13 months, a little over 11,000 miles. I LOVE this car. I love this car so much. Of course, the car isn't perfect, but the benefits far out way the very minor issues. This car is so fun to drive, the tech is amazing, reliability and total cost of ownership has been phenomenal, HVAC is awesome, stereo is awesome, live traffic is phenomenal..... Auto pilot, auto everything.

Since owning the car Tesla has increased the power, added a dashcam, improved summon drastically and so many other things. No other company is doing that.

By far, my favorite feature is the accelerator pedal. I love driving this thing, I keep wondering when the honeymoon period will end and it just won't.

#2845 4 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Quoted from crwjumper:

I called them the next day (Tuesday) to investigate if another company could do the replacement and they looked at my file and said that the windshield had arrived!

I think the repair things are overblown thanks to a few bad cases. It's funny, there is so much interest in Tesla right now that I think that the bad experiences (and for that matter, car fires) get WAAAAAAAAY more attention then they would in any other company.

I had my turn signal broken when I got the car, but I didn't realize it because I didn't understand how the turn signal worked. When I did realize it, I called on I think a Thursday and they told me they would need to order the part and get it in stock and then they would set up service. I got a call the next day they had the part, and had it installed in my car in the driveway on Tuesday - the whole experience taking less than 4 work days, and needing me to go no where.

That's not very interesting though, so you hear about the guy who didn't get his right bumper fixed for a month a lot more frequently, even though it seems increasingly rare.

#2846 4 months ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

My windshield got hit by a stone on the way home from work on Friday. The crack was about 4 inches long. Since then it's been growing and is now about 35" long. I called Tesla Tampa on Monday and they said that they would have to order a new windshield but it could take a couple of weeks. I called them the next day (Tuesday) to investigate if another company could do the replacement and they looked at my file and said that the windshield had arrived! Dropping it off after work today. Hoping for a Tesla loaner (requested one).
I'm pleasantly surprised at the speed of service!]

Heads-up - If you are an AP user, it will likely be wonky for some time until it calibrates. I think mine went back to being perfect after ~110 miles.

#2847 4 months ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I think the repair things are overblown thanks to a few bad cases. It's funny, there is so much interest in Tesla right now that I think that the bad experiences (and for that matter, car fires) get WAAAAAAAAY more attention then they would in any other company.
I had my turn signal broken when I got the car, but I didn't realize it because I didn't understand how the turn signal worked. When I did realize it, I called on I think a Thursday and they told me they would need to order the part and get it in stock and then they would set up service. I got a call the next day they had the part, and had it installed in my car in the driveway on Tuesday - the whole experience taking less than 4 work days, and needing me to go no where.
That's not very interesting though, so you hear about the guy who didn't get his right bumper fixed for a month a lot more frequently, even though it seems increasingly rare.

To be fair, it was really bad for some time... It took ~5 months before I could get my car in for some post-delivery fixes. Bodyshop parts have been bad. But it looks like things are getting better.

#2848 4 months ago

Could be record deliveries for the second quarter. That should keep the Fudsters away. Considering they have been circulating that the Model 3 has low demand.

#2849 4 months ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Could be record deliveries for the second quarter.

I mean that’s bad news for Tesla if they are still losing money on every car delivered. Tesla needs to turn around it’s margins and get profitable. It’s been 16 years since they were founded; they should be profitable. It’s not clear to me why they are still losing so much money despite their factories already having been built... unless they are just fundamentally too expensive parts or labor wise to make.

They’ve supplemented their losses by selling pollution credits. If GM and others sell enough EVs such that they don’t need to buy those credits from Tesla, Tesla’s losses would skyrocket.

#2850 4 months ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I mean that’s bad news for Tesla if they are still losing money on every car delivered. Tesla needs to turn around it’s margins and get profitable. It’s been 16 years since they were founded; they should be profitable. It’s not clear to me why they are still losing so much money despite their factories already having been built... unless they are just fundamentally too expensive parts or labor wise to make.
They’ve supplemented their losses by selling pollution credits. If GM and others sell enough EVs such that they don’t need to buy those credits from Tesla, Tesla’s losses would skyrocket.

Haven't they been giving free lifetime supercharging to encourage sales?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 79.00
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Latenight Weeknight Mods
$ 28.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 64.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.50
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
RPGCor
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 12,500.00
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10,999.00
$ 14.00
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 2926 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 59.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside