Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 67.
#2501 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Korean piece of crap
She totaled that shitbox lol.
My damage:
Tailgate is slightly bent and light bumper damage..[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine is worse.....rear ended as well. He tried to avoid me, but did not make it.

20190131_083011 (resized).jpg20190131_083011 (resized).jpg20190131_083017 (resized).jpg20190131_083017 (resized).jpg
#2503 5 years ago

In case anyone is keeping score. I'm actually surprised nissan is doing that good, I keep hearing battery issues even on the latest model.
https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-is-worlds-1-selling-ev-but-2-might-surprise-you

#2504 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

In case anyone is keeping score. I'm actually surprised nissan is doing that good, I keep hearing battery issues even on the latest model.
https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-is-worlds-1-selling-ev-but-2-might-surprise-you

That is the weirdest way to keep score I have ever seen. I wonder how many of the 100,000 pre 2014 are actually still functional.

#2506 5 years ago

That feels like letting the lunatics run the asylum. Consumer Reports is pulling its recommendation because of a survey. So consumer reports just decided the internet can do its job for them. I thought they were the experts, I want an expert opinion not the results of a survey. I'm not trying to bash consumer reports but this thing that everyone just goes whatever way the nutters on the internet is going is madness.

As a guy that works in gaming, you learn quickly the very vocal minority on the internet are not the people you look to for guidance on your product. If we listened them every game sucks, its a bug riddled mess, everyone that worked on it is lazy, the companies are evil empires and its all our fault there is gun violence in America. Oh and of course be every game should free with no micro transactions, loot boxes or DLC.

If anyone is actually interested in a recommendation on Tesla just ask someone driving one and maybe ask them what they owned before.

#2507 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

That is the weirdest way to keep score I have ever seen. I wonder how many of the 100,000 pre 2014 are actually still functional.

Pre 2013 is the only ones with issues. We have a 2013 and it's solid. I have a friend that bought another, also solid.

2011/12 model year is the ones with the terrible batteries.

#2508 5 years ago

I thought about Tesla and nearly pre-ordered, but decided to keep my Merc and buy an old Rolls instead for weekend cruising. I love Tesla to death, but boy has this pre-BMW 'proper' Rolls (Silver Shadow II) been fun It helps that the previous owner dude in south London spent £10k on the sound system

IMG_0626 (resized).JPGIMG_0626 (resized).JPG
#2509 5 years ago

Excuse me sir , do you got any Grey Poupon ?

#2511 5 years ago

Had to crawl in the passenger door the other day because my driver window was frozen..It was like 4AM and I was in a rush so I didn't preheat the cabin. Drove 45 minutes to the airport and realized it was still frozen and had to open the door to get my ticket. Realized after I opened the door that I couldn't shut it and had to drive around looking for a spot while holding the door shut.

Its the little things like this that grate me.

#2512 5 years ago

Anyone else get the new update, lots of fun new stuff in it, sadly the memory corruption issue appears to be back.

#2513 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Anyone else get the new update, lots of fun new stuff in it, sadly the memory corruption issue appears to be back.

Gotta love HAL coming up.....I do not have any memory corruption (at least not yet).

#2514 5 years ago

Whenever a fire occurs not much coverage but our local news chimes in with comments and generalizations that electric cars are more prone to catching fire.

https://www.businessinsider.com/florida-man-dies-after-his-tesla-model-s-crashed-caught-fire-2019-2?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=topbar&utm_term=mobile

#2515 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Whenever a fire occurs not much coverage but our local news chimes in with comments and generalizations that electric cars are more prone to catching fire.
https://www.businessinsider.com/florida-man-dies-after-his-tesla-model-s-crashed-caught-fire-2019-2?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=topbar&utm_term=mobile

It seems to me the more serious issue are there being no door handles to open a door. Tesla tells them to reference an emergency manual to open them manually from the inside - not exactly something you do with a few seconds to get out if there's a fire.

#2516 5 years ago

I agree. Tesla boasts about crash testing but this seems like it needs to be addressed.

#2517 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

I agree. Tesla boasts about crash testing but this seems like it needs to be addressed.

I think its all relative, a crash with catastrophic impact that it compromises the structure of the car and batteries it is very doubtful the doors are going to just open with the handle. In this level of crash the handle just breaks off in your hand when you yank on it. It super common for fireman to hack people out of cars. It basically a rare bonus if the handle works. The whole thing that every Tesla crash is a news story, drastically skews the perspective.

#2518 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The whole thing that every Tesla crash is a news story, drastically skews the perspective.

Yep, US averaged 287,000 vehicle fires per year from 2003-2007 pre-Tesla. Would have to dig deeper to find the trend per mile or per unit per brand. But nothing says "lets start a fire" more than gallons of gasoline on a hot engine and exhaust.

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Data-research-and-tools/ARCHIVED/Fire-statistics/Vehicle-fires/Vehicle-fire-trends-and-patterns

#2519 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The whole thing that every Tesla crash is a news story, drastically skews the perspective.

Ya, it just happened here on Monday. A city bus ran a red light and T-boned a Tesla. Theses a dash cam video, the Tesla looks to be going through a green light when the bus hits it. The Tesla did nothing wrong, yet this made the news.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/guelph-transit-city-bus-tesla-crash-winter-1.5034111

#2520 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Ya, it just happened here on Monday. A city bus ran a red light and T-boned a Tesla. Theses a dash cam video, the Tesla looks to be going through a green light when the bus hits it. The Tesla did nothing wrong, yet this made the news.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/guelph-transit-city-bus-tesla-crash-winter-1.5034111

I saw that on Tesla Motors Club, looked to me like the bus just slid the light in the snow. Tesla might have anti-locked as well the way both vehicles hardly react, both guys probably standing on the brakes but the vehicles just keep on going. 100% the bus at fault as he had the red.

#2521 5 years ago

Looks like Tesla just made the 35K Model 3 available many people thought this was just another dream that would never happen.

#2523 5 years ago

It's an interesting reaction to the news of the $35k version of the Model 3. There are some people very excited, others saying it's clear no one wants the car and demand is gone since the SR says you can order and receive within 2-4 weeks, and the skepticism about the whole closing down the stores thing. In short (or should I say, for shorts)...

Tesla keeps producing more vehicles on average every week, so they have to increase demand to keep delivering at that pace. I don't see any issue with saying 2-4 weeks to receive it because if they start production of it today, it means that until orders fill up, they should be able to turn them over quickly. They are also aiming at doing mostly US deliveries this next month to not have the whole shipping around the world issue where the cars are made but not delivered in Q1.

For the stores, at first I was thinking this was a big and bad sign. Then I realized they are planning on keeping the Galleries and using those. After that, I realized they are essentially going to way cut back staff on those and have people come look at the vehicles cheaper, allowing them to buy online. Seems like a simple win to me.

The people who are poo-pooing this move I think can never be satisfied. They said Tesla couldn't afford to make the $35k model, and now that they are they are saying they have to because there is no demand.

Oh, and the statement that they aren't going to show a profit this quarter... duh? They have that giant bond that is due. Anyone that is surprised hasn't been paying attention - they have said they expect to be profitable except if they have large issues like debt repayment that is due. They do, and they have the whole delay from manufacture to delivery thing to deal with.

#2524 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

For the stores, at first I was thinking this was a big and bad sign. Then I realized they are planning on keeping the Galleries and using those. After that, I realized they are essentially going to way cut back staff on those and have people come look at the vehicles cheaper, allowing them to buy online. Seems like a simple win to me.

While the whole demand thing can spike prices (and desire), it can also annoy people and make them say "forget, I'm buying something else". It happens all the time in pinball. JJP announces pirates, takes them like a year to finally start manufacturing it, meanwhile Stern puts out 3 games in that time frame. You better believe people cancel orders when a different shiny toy comes out first.

Apple had no problems selling phones direct to consumers before they had a TON of apple stores, and those stores are mostly needed for the genius bar (IE service) more so than selling product these days (though some fan boys like the experience of waiting in line the day of). With any business, one of your biggest cash sucks are salaries so I see this as a positive. Judging from Rich rebuilds, Tesla clearly needs to work on customer service and communication more than anything.

#2525 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

It happens all the time in pinball. JJP announces pirates, takes them like a year to finally start manufacturing it, meanwhile Stern puts out 3 games in that time frame. You better believe people cancel orders when a different shiny toy comes out first.

Are you making a pin-gument in a car thread?

#2526 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Oh, and the statement that they aren't going to show a profit this quarter... duh? They have that giant bond that is due.

Does that count against the P&L statements quarterly? I mean, its not like when they took the bond money out, they recorded $900 million in 'profits', so paying back debt should not count towards their quarterly loss. Debt service is certainly an expense but I don't think debt repayment is. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

https://www.accountingcoach.com/blog/principal-payment-financial-statement

Even if it did, wouldn't they amortize the amount over time?

#2527 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Does that count against the P&L statements quarterly? I mean, its not like when they took the bond money out, they recorded $900 million in 'profits', so paying back debt should not count towards their quarterly loss. Debt service is certainly an expense but I don't think debt repayment is. I'm not 100% sure on this though.
https://www.accountingcoach.com/blog/principal-payment-financial-statement
Even if it did, wouldn't they amortize the amount over time?

Actually, I'm not sure. I think it hits free cash flow, which you're right isn't the same thing.

Usually, this would preceded me googling for an hour to figure it out, too much MGC stuff to do right now though...

Oh yeah and Tesla is going to be displaying as this year's Midwest Gaming Classic

#2529 5 years ago

Or wait wait wait?

#2530 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

It's an interesting reaction to the news of the $35k version of the Model 3. There are some people very excited, others saying it's clear no one wants the car and demand is gone since the SR says you can order and receive within 2-4 weeks,

I went on the Tesla site and most cars on there can be received in that time frame. Nothing to see here.

I will say this...it seems like the new pricing structure is really nice. As a '15 P90D owner I don't think that bodes really great for my resell value but I'm not planning on selling this car for a long time anyhow. My guess is I end up owning another Tesla before I sell what I already have.

#2531 5 years ago

If any of you have been holding out for the cheaper edition, or on the fence about one of the others, now is as good a time as any to go get one! Especially with that week/1k miles "test drive" offer. Most of those early kinks are long since worked out, and it's a blast to drive.

I love mine. It's the most fun I've ever had in a car, and I hate driving (there's a reason I've lived in NYC for 20+ years haha!). I don't think I'll be going back to gas cars any time in the future if I can help it.

#2532 5 years ago

I'm in! Ordered Saturday. Model 3 performance. It said "delivery within 2 weeks."

I pretty much decided to get one last year but have been waiting for a price drop. I figure these cars are so technology based they should be dropping in price over time just like other tech items. I realize it will likely drop more now that I have committed - but you have to jump in sometime - and this seemed like a good a time as any.

Got a confirmation email but nothing further yet. Hooking up a Nema 14-50 plug in my garage to charge. Says this will charge @ 30 miles of range per hour at a max of 32amps 240v. This should be plenty for me to top off every night. The plug is only $10 but the 6/3 copper wire to run to my box was $60.

I'm going to document how the delivery process and such goes on twitter at michigantesla if anyone wants to follow along.

20190302_123124 (resized).jpg20190302_123124 (resized).jpg20190302_123249 (resized).jpg20190302_123249 (resized).jpg
#2533 5 years ago

How much did the price drop? Since the way you configured it it's still over $60k.

I'd love a Tesla as my next car, but ho-lee-shit am I not in the income bracket to afford one. Even the base $35k seems crazy for a 'commute to work and back' mostly vehicle, and who'd want that stripped down thing anyway? heh.

#2534 5 years ago

I think it dropped like 6%. I wasn't going to get the "full autonomous" option but since I decided to that ate up the price drop for me. I plan on driving the crap out of it! I think the 35k one is a great value but I just couldn't resist getting the hemi.

#2535 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

How much did the price drop? Since the way you configured it it's still over $60k.
I'd love a Tesla as my next car, but ho-lee-shit am I not in the income bracket to afford one. Even the base $35k seems crazy for a 'commute to work and back' mostly vehicle, and who'd want that stripped down thing anyway? heh.

Is there any other everyday car model that has such a large spread in pricing for the same model?

#2536 5 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

I'm in! Ordered Saturday. Model 3 performance. It said "delivery within 2 weeks."
I pretty much decided to get one last year but have been waiting for a price drop. I figure these cars are so technology based they should be dropping in price over time just like other tech items. I realize it will likely drop more now that I have committed - but you have to jump in sometime - and this seemed like a good a time as any.
Got a confirmation email but nothing further yet. Hooking up a Nema 14-50 plug in my garage to charge. Says this will charge @ 30 miles of range per hour at a max of 32amps 240v. This should be plenty for me to top off every night. The plug is only $10 but the 6/3 copper wire to run to my box was $60.
I'm going to document how the delivery process and such goes on twitter at michigantesla if anyone wants to follow along.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! You are going to love this beast of a car! You will keep coming up with excuses to take it out for a drive! The crazy acceleration never gets old. I've had mine 5 months now and just love it. Best car I've ever owned!

#2537 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

If you can afford the $2k upgrade, that seems well worth it. Extra 20 miles range, and then the majority of the internal stuff is the same as the premium models.

In Wisconsin winters, you can probably get about 170 miles per charge on it. In the summer, you'll be able to get right about the 240 that it states. On the highway.

Having said all that, the thing that has to be taken into account with buying one of these is that as long as you're charging at home, the price definitely drops with electric prices versus gas prices each year of ownership. I have been putting about 2000 miles per month on my car (yarg). Assuming my car was getting 25 mpg (it wasn't doing that great), at $2.30 / month I'd be paying $184 for gas.

Assuming great loss from heat and whatnot in the winter, my electrical charges for it works out to... wow, exactly $84 (2000 miles + 400 "winter" ding = 2400 / 4 miles per kwh * $0.14 = $84!), so I'm saving $100 in gas per month. In the summer it's even better...)

On top of that, I've owned it long enough that my last car would have needed three oil changes. In a year, my old car would have needed 6.

Obviously, these numbers change with how much you're driving (and gas and whatnot), but overall, I assume I'm easily saving $1200+ a year in costs. The Leaf when we got it fuel alone (tracked weekly) saved us $1256 over the previous car, so I think that's a fair assumption to make.

If you get one and keep it for 10 years, assuming $40,000 total purchase price with taxes, fees, and whatnot, you get... $3750 off from the tax rebate + $1200 / year of savings... the car itself cost about $24,250 in that case, which is super competitive with other cars for sale right now.

If gas prices go up, it becomes even more competitive to purchase a Model 3.

There are obvious things that play into this - like if I'm going to have to pay interest on a loan versus not paying interest on a loan for a driveable car, then it may be less worth it.

For me, it was less about saving money and more about saving time. The combination of no regular maintenance and charging at home so no gas stations is great. I am not someone that will pretend that SuperCharging is the greatest thing ever, but I've aligned my calendar to charge when I'm eating, so it costs me no time (but does limit food choices), so it really hasn't bothered me.

#2538 5 years ago

Whoa!

https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-v3-supercharging

V3 SuperChargers will charge at 1000+ mph, 75 miles of charge in FIVE MINUTES, no more sharing charge rates across stalls.

I expected V3 to be a more incremental update, they now expect an average charge to take about 15 minutes.

Tesla tends to be conservative on stats like this, I actually got 84 miles of range in five minutes, although I don't know if they are charging RWD (which would have the best charge rate) or what. With tapering and whatnot, I expect a real world charge rate of ~225 miles in 15 minutes, if you show up near empty.

This means that reasonably, a 500 mile trip in my 3, so long as I was using a V3 charger, would take an extra 5-10 minutes over an ICE counterpart tops as I'd have to fuel both.

Also in the announcement, because they are going to precondition the batteries, they expect current SuperChargers will be able to increase their speed by about 25%, and they can raise the top speed on them to 145 kwh, so about 100 miles in 10 minutes there.

Wow.

#2539 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

If you get one and keep it for 10 years, assuming $40,000 total purchase price with taxes, fees, and whatnot, you get... $3750 off from the tax rebate + $1200 / year of savings... the car itself cost about $24,250 in that case, which is super competitive with other cars for sale right now.

All those 'in the long run' savings are great. But I don't have the cash up front to outright buy a car at 50k+ and the monthly payments on it would be far more than I'm capable of spending on a car payment.

#2540 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

All those 'in the long run' savings are great. But I don't have the cash up front to outright buy a car at 50k+ and the monthly payments on it would be far more than I'm capable of spending on a car payment.

I totally get it. I was just pointing out that things like fuel savings specifically do add up and do sort of count against a loan as you get those savings monthly.

The best value in cars still is a 2013 Leaf. A friend of mine just got one for $6,600 that the dealership didn't realize the battery had been replaced on. If he keeps it for six years, it'll have paid off the cost to purchase in savings easily.

#2541 5 years ago

Is it really just an F150, or are those tailpipes just there to throw everyone off that this is NOT the next tesla pickup truck.. Why would they be transporting a ford?
https://electrek.co/2019/03/07/tesla-carrier-camouflaged-pickup-truck/

tesla_truck (resized).pngtesla_truck (resized).png
#2542 5 years ago

that isnt weird mobile enough for the tesla truck since elon has been tweeting that its very futuristic, blade runner, 'not sure everyone will like it'.. that truck looks like a standard truck.. which, would be welcomed actually but not what hes been telegraphing.

#2543 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

that isnt weird mobile enough for the tesla truck since elon has been tweeting that its very futuristic, blade runner, 'not sure everyone will like it'.. that truck looks like a standard truck.. which, would be welcomed actually but not what hes been telegraphing.

It's also possible the body isn't done being designed (or at least tooled up), and they are temporarily using an existing truck body to test the chassis in parallel (which also disguises it). In my field when we are developing a new product we will often borrow parts from competitors until we've designed our own.

#2545 5 years ago

How many other drivers will he take with him?

#2546 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Why would they be transporting a ford?

Because they took it in trade? Or because Tesla is hiring out a contractor to move the vehicles, and that contractor is hauling cargo from two different customers?

#2547 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

How many other drivers will he take with him?

Exactly. Humans are often dumb and don't act in their best interests as a species.

#2548 5 years ago

While in Reno, Supercharge your Tesla and try your luck at the Atlantis Casino-Resort-Spa. I never saw those small chargers poles on the right in the across Virginia Ave. pic.

20190307_120405 (resized).jpg20190307_120405 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190307-145929 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190307-145929 (resized).png
#2549 5 years ago

You call it "self driving" and there will be plenty of idiots who believe they should be able to sleep, have sex, play monopoly, or whatever the hell the please while it "drives itself". It's what Sci-Fi has taught them to expect.

#2550 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's what Sci-Fi has taught them to expect.

Is it sci-fi's fault? Or a deliberately bad marketing effort on Tesla's part. It's called autopilot for crying out loud, its name practically implies you can treat it like airplane autopilot when that is clearly not the case. Doesn't help that Musk keeps saying the cars are going to drive themselves 100% any day now, and adding features like 'summon' where the car is driving itself without a driver behind the wheel. Completely irresponsible.

There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.