Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 67.
#2051 5 years ago

I think I just got the pin update tonight. Have to decide if the rush is worth the inconvenience. So unlikely anyone would want to steal one because they’re so easy to track. I think anyone with this sophisticated tech would know that about Teslas? I don’t know. Certainly less likely here in Idaho.

And what are they going to do with it? Part it out? I don’t think there’s much of a secondary market for parts as discussed above.

#2052 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I think I just got the pin update tonight. Have to decide if the rush is worth the inconvenience. So unlikely anyone would want to steal one because they’re so easy to track. I think anyone with this sophisticated tech would know that about Teslas? I don’t know. Certainly less likely here in Idaho.
And what are they going to do with it? Part it out? I don’t think there’s much of a secondary market for parts as discussed above.

Given that the cars are tracked by GPS with an always-on Internet connection the best they are gonna get is a joyride. Anyway, that's what insurance is for.

#2053 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Oh, I've seen those. In the beginning of the Joe Rogan interview they talk about this company. I don't have the exact quote, but Joe said something like what if they can move so fast you can't see, and Elan says it is possible now. That lead to the don't kick a robot quote.

I think Elon is talking about big industrial robots and how they are trying to speed them up to increase higher output on the assembly line.

For a mobile robot there's still basic physics to consider. If you're going to move fast, you either need to be extremely light which generally means flimsy, or very heavy, which means more battery and mass to maintain movement, and we just don't have the battery power yet.

But yes, don't kick robots.

#2054 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I think Elon is talking about big industrial robots and how they are trying to speed them up to increase higher output on the assembly line.

He is, probably has pick and place robots like this one to build cells (and possibly weld tabs)

#2055 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Assume whatever videos they are sharing with the public, the stuff they have in their labs is even more advanced.

Their name is just pure evil. "Boston Dynamics". It even sounds like the name of a company that will start a future robotic uprising.

#2056 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Their name is just pure evil. "Boston Dynamics". It even sounds like the name of a company that will start a future robotic uprising.

Cyberdyne Systems was already taken.

Actually ...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberdyne_Inc.

#2057 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Just imagine a bunch of companies with that type of vision and place them under the umbrella of DARPA with basically no oversight. Scary shit!

#2058 5 years ago

Do you want to buy a Model 3 and receive it in two to four weeks? Simply order by Friday and pick Silver or Black. btw - this comes with soon to be discontinued unlimited charging. Don't worry about fighting traffic to find a dealer or to arrange a test drive, send money now and we'll drop the car off to you at work or home. This line of reasoning has me thinking ...
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Not all options are available but this was my pick.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Anybody feeling lucky?

#2060 5 years ago

Just thought I'd put this here . . .

IMG_4365 (resized).JPGIMG_4365 (resized).JPG
#2061 5 years ago

Jeff, All wheel drive available on this deal? Tempting for sure even though I have a model S.

#2062 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Jeff, All wheel drive available on this deal? Tempting for sure even though I have a model S.

yes but you have to add +10k for awd and another +10k for awd/high performance, before you start wondering if you need the 20 in wheels. I'm pretty happy without awd, but wish I could get the bigger wheels.

I am chickening out because I strongly prefer driving a suv. Mine comes off lease next year and I plan to buy it for $27k to last another 7-8 years. I tried configuring an X model and was up to $100k before I came to my senses.

#2063 5 years ago

Unlimited supercharging with my referral code. All models. Offer expires 9/16.

https://ts.la/brian10740

#2064 5 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Unlimited supercharging with my referral code. All models. Offer expires 9/16.
https://ts.la/brian10740

If @pinster68's codes run out I have some too, feel free to PM me. Same expiration. Only good on the S, X and performance Model 3, though.

#2065 5 years ago

Who does not have codes at this point in time .
I can offer one too, just in case.

#2066 5 years ago

I’m tempted also. Been playing around with trading my commuter. I drive back and forth to LA weekly(235 miles each way). Been driving a Volt for years and own my solar system at the house. Keep talking myself into waiting. But, free charging is nice for when traveling. May have to take the plunge...

#2069 5 years ago

Yes, although nobody is questioning Tesla's ability to manufacture Model 3's anymore. It looks like the new goalposts are going to be relocated somewhere around "demand for the Model 3 is merely temporary."

Meanwhile reservations on the Audi e-tron SUV due out sometime next year seem to be very low. They put themselves in a very difficult position by doing the online reservation thing and going head-to-head with Tesla.

Audi hasn't revealed the number of reservations it's had yet, despite reservations being open officially since Monday September 17th. Although they've taken reservations since January in Norway and allowed dealers to take pre-pre-reservations since at least August 27th.

I've also seen extremely low views on e-tron related YouTube videos.

#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Yes, although nobody is questioning Tesla's ability to manufacture Model 3's anymore. It looks like the new goalposts are going to be relocated somewhere around "demand for the Model 3 is merely temporary."
Meanwhile reservations on the Audi e-tron SUV due out sometime next year seem to be very low. They put themselves in a very difficult position by doing the online reservation thing and going head-to-head with Tesla.
Audi hasn't revealed the number of reservations it's had yet, despite reservations being open officially since Monday September 17th. Although they've taken reservations since January in Norway and allowed dealers to take pre-pre-reservations since at least August 27th.
I've also seen extremely low views on e-tron related YouTube videos.

I am more curious to see what the big four of Ford, GM, Toyota, and Honda end up doing in the EV marketplace in the next 5 to 10 years. I don't believe european brands will ever dominate the US market.
With Tesla discontinuing the free charging I would guess all manufacturers will use the same pay chargers at service stations/areas as the infastructure gets built up.

#2071 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

all manufacturers will use the same pay chargers at service stations/areas as the infastructure gets built up.

Most gas stations make very little from the gas, most of it is made from store purchases as a convenience. I do wonder if at some point stations will start giving discounts for purchases. I mean wifi made people hang around coffee shops more to spend more on coffee. Granted wifi is cheap and giving out more doesn't cost any more (compared to electricity that DOES cost per kwatt). But I could see gas stations with restaurants giving say half off charging fee if they spend at least $10 at their restaurant, since they have to waste time anyway. Stores like Target could do the same, spend at least $10 in their store, get a discount on your charging.

#2072 5 years ago

Free supercharging was really the only reason I liked the model 3 over alternatives. I’ll probably keep an eye out for a used S that still has free supercharging. I literally could walk to the Tesla Supercharger near my house so had no plans to ever charge at home.

#2073 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am more curious to see what the big four of Ford, GM, Toyota, and Honda end up doing in the EV marketplace in the next 5 to 10 years. I don't believe european brands will ever dominate the US market

In the 70s nobody ever thought Japanese brands would dominate the US market, either.

The strengths of the big four: dealer network, traditional advertising, brand loyalty, global supply chain of third parties manufacturing parts. The first is a detriment, the second adds cost that their primary competitor doesn’t have. Brand loyalty didn’t help Nokia or Blackberry defeat Apple. Perhaps their suppliers will help them.

The real issue is that none of the big four have meaningful experience in batteries, software (particularly user interface), direct distribution or charging networks - four cornerstones of EV success.

I don’t see how they’ll make batteries cheaper than Tesla, so their cars will either cost more or have lesser range - as we’ve seen.

They won’t suddenly get great at doing software. Awesome software developers and user interface designers do not want to have Ford, GM, Toyota or Honda on their resumes.

Dealers don’t want to sell EVs because they don’t generate anywhere near the service revenue as ICE cars.

Because of this I think Ford and GM will play the role of Nokia and Blackberry in the Apple iPhone disruption. In two years Ford plans to release /one/ ‘ground-up’ EV. They have released no meaningful details, so I’m guessing that it will actually be a 2021 model that starts trickling out Q4 2020 at best.

Toyota won’t be competing in the USA in EV’s for years after that. They’re going after China and India first.

Honda brought a cool concept car that got some buzz and they claim they’ll sell it next year in Europe, but since they don’t have any stats at all on it, it’ll probably be 2020/21. I hope it isn’t the usual disappointing watered-down production car that barely resembles the concept.

Quoted from DCFAN:

With Tesla discontinuing the free charging I would guess all manufacturers will use the same pay chargers at service stations/areas as the infastructure gets built up.

This infrastructure you’re talking about is not shaping up very well. You know the vaunted 2 billion dollars that VW was forced to cough up to build a massive super fast charging network? Look at the fine print - the states get to decide what to do with the money, and a lot of it is being used to buy government EVs and install very, very slow chargers.*

Still, there are others. I think Chargepoint raised $200 million recently to build out a fast charger network. The problem is that there is insufficient demand for a non-Tesla fast charger network because almost no EVs are being sold outside of Tesla and there likely won’t be for years. So Chargepoint builds out a big network that nobody needs for years, runs out of money and dies. This has already happened with the Blink network.

Long term gas stations may end up taking up the slack though I don’t know where they get the money. It costs at least $150k to install a fast charger per station and service stations are barely making it as it is; they’re not owned by the oil companies, you know.

*There’s also a dirty secret with those non-Tesla “fast chargers.” The overwhelming vast majority of them are 24kw, not 150kw. Audi, Mercedes and Jag are touting charging times based on a network of 150kw chargers that there is no guarantee will be built.

#2074 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Free supercharging was really the only reason I liked the model 3 over alternatives. I’ll probably keep an eye out for a used S that still has free supercharging. I literally could walk to the Tesla Supercharger near my house so had no plans to ever charge at home.

Using a supercharger instead of charging at home is not allowed under Tesla’s terms of service. And it’s easy for them to know.

Anyway, it’s stupid cheap to charge at home.

Lastly I’m sorry to say that the lifetime free supercharging doesn’t transfer to new owners when the car is sold or transferred.

#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Lastly I’m sorry to say that the lifetime free supercharging doesn’t transfer to new owners when the car is sold or transferred.

Really? That's surprising to learn. Almost every ad I read for a used Tesla prior to 2017 always touts unlimited charging as a benefit. I'm assuming just uneducated sellers and not unscrupulous...or is this a recent policy change?

This article seems to indicate you're incorrect

https://transportevolved.com/2017/01/10/want-unlimited-free-supercharging-from-tesla-buy-a-used-model-s-model-x-made-before-11417/

#2076 5 years ago

My wife is expecting her used certified Model S next week. With free supercharging. I don't know if you buy out of the Tesla certified network.
https://www.tesla.com/inventory/used/ms

Loooong story short. 6 weeks ago, my wife received her model 3. It died 3hrs after owning it, Tesla had to tow it, tow company trashed the front and the rear end, Tesla gave us a model S P85D loaner, last week they say her newly assigned car is ready (because she refused to take back the damaged vehicle), The day before pick they inform her that there was a problem where she was still assigned the same car and she would have to wait for a new one... In the mean time i'm loving the shit out of the model S, so we decided to cancel the 3, and get a used certified S that we are expecting on Monday... unlike my wife i'm in no hurry to give back the sweet loaner.

I've never been in a Tesla prior to this, so i never 'got it', since I've had the loaner I've had 20+ people in the car, who I have given a ride to. And they all friggin loved the car, you could see the smile on peoples faces while driving it... the comfort, quietness and yes speed... Tesla should set up driving experiences in malls and give rides to anyone and everyone. There are so many people haven't had the opportunity to ride or drive one.

#2077 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

My wife is expecting her used certified Model next week. With free supercharging. I don't know if you buy out of the Tesla certified network.
https://www.tesla.com/inventory/used/ms
Loooong story short. 6 weeks ago, my wife received her model 3. It died 3hrs after owning it, Tesla had to tow it, tow company trashed the front and the rear end, Tesla gave us a model S P85D loaner, last week they say her newly assigned car is ready (because she refused to take back the damaged vehicle), The day before pick they inform her that there was a problem where she was still assigned the same car and she would have to wait for a new one... In the mean time i'm loving the shit out of the model S, so we decided to cancel the 3, and get a used certified S that we are expecting on Monday... unlike my wife i'm in no hurry to give back the sweet loaner.
I've never been in a Tesla prior to this, and i've had 20+ people in the car, who I have given a ride to. And they all friggin loved the car, you could see the smile on peoples faces while driving it... the comfort, quietness and yes speed... Tesla should set up driving experiences in malls and give rides to anyone and everyone. So many people haven't had the opportunity to ride or drive.

Another Data point that pretty much says what I've been saying awhile. The Model S are great cars...the Model 3s are having growing pains and seem to suffer from rush to increase numbers. I'm sure it'll even out as most new models suffer release issues and recalls.

#2078 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Really? That's surprising to learn. Almost every ad I read for a used Tesla prior to 2017 always touts unlimited charging as a benefit. I'm assuming just uneducated sellers and not unscrupulous...or is this a recent policy change?
This article seems to indicate you're incorrect
https://transportevolved.com/2017/01/10/want-unlimited-free-supercharging-from-tesla-buy-a-used-model-s-model-x-made-before-11417/

"Using a supercharger instead of charging at home is not allowed under Tesla’s terms of service."

I'm not sure he's right on anything - I've found no evidence that the above is not allowed under Tesla's terms of service. I've actually found many articles that state that superchargers have been installed in specific cities due to the inability to install chargers at home, which seems to negate that statement as well.

#2079 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Another Data point that pretty much says what I've been saying awhile. The Model S are great cars...the Model 3s are having growing pains and seem to suffer from rush to increase numbers. I'm sure it'll even out as most new models suffer release issues and recalls.

Turns out the answer on whether or not unlimited supercharging comes with the car is “it depends.” Check with Tesla before buying a used Tesla.

#2080 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

"Using a supercharger instead of charging at home is not allowed under Tesla’s terms of service."
I'm not sure he's right on anything - I've found no evidence that the above is not allowed under Tesla's terms of service. I've actually found many articles that state that superchargers have been installed in specific cities due to the inability to install chargers at home, which seems to negate that statement as well.

Yeah I was wrong about that. They used to strongly discourage it, then they said it wasn't allowed, and lately it looks like it's okay. Honestly I never have to charge in-city so I haven't looked at it in years. It looks like the city chargers are at 72kw instead of 120kw too.

#2081 5 years ago

90% of all super chargers in Los Angeles are 120kw. I only know of one that is 72kw.

#2082 5 years ago

5 star crash safety rating in every category and sub-category. I'll give the regulars here a few minutes to find a way to bash this....

#2083 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

5 star crash safety rating in every category and sub-category. I'll give the regulars here a few minutes to find a way to bash this....

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-gets-five-star-crash-safety-rating-from-n-1829196052

Hey man, nobody wants to live forever! That's why you can disable traction control on modern corvettes isn't it, so old guys can kill themselves in style?

#2084 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Yay...It's as a good as a Kia, Chevy Volt, Mustang, subaru, Honda and lots of others. I'm glad it made the grade but let's not pretend it's some over the top accomplishment.

There, that's the best I could do to your challenge

#2085 5 years ago

Thanks for proving my point.

Quoted from robertmee:

Yay...It's as a good as a Kia, Chevy Volt, Mustang, subaru, Honda and lots of others. I'm glad it made the grade but let's not pretend it's some over the top accomplishment.

There, that's the best I could do to your challenge

#2086 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Thanks for proving my point.

Anytime

#2087 5 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

90% of all super chargers in Los Angeles are 120kw. I only know of one that is 72kw.

L.A. is an outlier because of sprawl and Tesla density. Tesla’s new urban supercharger are 72kw according to Tesla.

#2088 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

L.A. is an outlier because of sprawl and Tesla density. Tesla’s new urban supercharger are 72kw according to Tesla.

I wonder if that has to do with existing utility infrastucture as much as anything. As a result of existing utility kVA availability it could be a cost/benefit decision to go with the 72kW.

Curious, how fast does a 72kW and a 150kW charger get a Tesla up to 80% charge?

#2089 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I wonder if that has to do with existing utility infrastucture as much as anything. As a result of existing utility kVA availability it could be a cost/benefit decision to go with the 72kW.
Curious, how fast does a 72kW and a 150kW charger get a Tesla up to 80% charge?

It depends on the size of your battery. From what I've read 72kw gets you to 80% about 5-10 minutes slower.

In contrast, the vast majority of non-Tesla "fast chargers" in the USA are 24kw, which is less than the speed I charge my Tesla in my garage.

As to why Tesla went with 72kw in cities, I think it's size and cost rather than infrastructure.

#2090 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

5 star crash safety rating in every category and sub-category. I'll give the regulars here a few minutes to find a way to bash this..

videos released

#2091 5 years ago

Just got the call ... my 3 has arrived. Picking up Thursday at 10am. Good times.

#2092 5 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Just got the call ... my 3 has arrived. Picking up Thursday at 10am. Good times.

Enjoy! What are your specs? You’re gonna love it.

#2093 5 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Where do you pick a Tesla up? I thought they delivered to your house.

#2094 5 years ago

Picked up my P3D+ September 19th
It's Awesome! Way beyond my expectations!

IMG_5262 (resized).jpgIMG_5262 (resized).jpgIMG_5263 (resized).jpgIMG_5263 (resized).jpgIMG_5264 (resized).jpgIMG_5264 (resized).jpgIMG_5265 (resized).jpgIMG_5265 (resized).jpg
#2095 5 years ago

That things the shiz!!

#2096 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's gorgeous, man!

#2097 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats.

#2098 5 years ago

I'm glad they didn't jack up the look of the back with all kinds of badges, hell of a car.

#2099 5 years ago

Getting it Wrapped and Ceramic Coated this coming Monday!
This car is a riot to drive!
Can't wait for Track Mode and Version 9 software update. The car just keeps getting better and better with OTA updates.

#2100 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Getting it Wrapped and Ceramic Coated this coming Monday!
This car is a riot to drive!
Can't wait for Track Mode and Version 9 software update. The car just keeps getting better and better with OTA updates.

Ota updates are like Christmas morning! New features in your car. So much fun.

There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3/page/42?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.