Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 67.
#1701 5 years ago

Found master video showing consistent back to back to back 1/4 mile - 10.8 sec runs for 122 mph. Looks comical to see other cars look like they are standing still.

#1702 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Basically every car gets smoked by a Tesla, the only thing that stands a chance is very limited production super cars. Everything else is left in the dust.

Hyperbole much? Most Tesla's are quite pedestrian by today's standards. Yes the ludicrous models are insanely fast, but the rest have 5 sec 0-60s and 13s 1/4S which is far from super cars today. My euro sedan does 3.6s and 11s

I'd love to have a ludicrous car for drag duty...but it's my understanding after just a few passes it goes into limp mode....and forget about tracking it...same deal.

#1703 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Hyperbole much? Most Tesla's are quite pedestrian by today's standards. Yes the ludicrous models are insanely fast, but the rest have 5 sec 0-60s and 13s 1/4S which is far from super cars today. My euro sedan does 3.6s and 11s

So that Euro family Sedan is the low end model right? Nothing I said is not a fact, not hyperbole at all. Being the post after that video is pretty funny. Even if we compare the average time of their line ups what other company is in the class of Tesla?

#1705 5 years ago

Man I wish I could justify the Performance Model. I love my 3 and it has enough to keep me entertained and I have driven it harder and faster than most. Damn would I love the P but I couldn't afford the tickets let alone the added price.

#1706 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'd love to have a ludicrous car for drag duty...but it's my understanding after just a few passes it goes into limp mode....and forget about tracking it...same deal.

mine does 0-60 in about 2.4 seconds. you can do as many drag passes as you want, it's unlikely to ever go into limp mode at a drag strip unless you are doing them literally non-stop without any breaks between, which is impossible unless you are the only person at the drag strip. each quarter mile pass only use about 1.5% of the battery. so unless you're doing several dozen passes, it's a non-issue.

if you try to do laps at a track, yes, it will go into reduced power mode. it really was designed to be a family sedan, not a track car. the idea to make it the quickest sedan ever only came after they realized the crazy potential of the thing.

neither of those apply to my usage of the car, though. i keep it in Ludicrous mode all the time. i don't drive like a maniac, but if some joker in a Hellcat starts revving his engine at me, i can put him in my rear view mirror before his car is even done shifting into the correct gear. on ramps and stoplights are always fun.

#1707 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

mine does 0-60 in about 2.4 seconds. you can do as many drag passes as you want, it's unlikely to ever go into limp mode at a drag strip unless you are doing them literally non-stop without any breaks between, which is impossible unless you are the only person at the drag strip. each quarter mile passes only use about 1.5% of the battery. so unless you're doing several dozen passes, it's a non-issue.
if you try to do laps at a track, yes, it will go into reduced power mode. it really was designed to be a family sedan, not a track car. the idea to make it the quickest sedan ever only came after they realized the crazy potential of the thing.
neither of those apply to my usage of the car, though. i keep it in Ludicrous mode all the time. i don't drive like a maniac, but if some joker in a Hellcat starts revving his engine at me, i can put him in my rear view mirror before his car is even done shifting into the correct gear. on ramps and stoplights are always fun.

Cool....I'm more of a straight line racer myself although I've been toying with the idea of doing an HPDE course or autocross.

So is it a function of battery drain or duty cycle...I would have thought hard charges would put more of a drain on the battery vs the occasional burst out of track corners.

#1708 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

So that Euro family Sedan is the low end model right? Nothing I said is not a fact, not hyperbole at all. Being the post after that video is pretty funny. Even if we compare the average time of their line ups what other company is in the class of Tesla?

It's half the price of a ludicrous P100D or P90D. It's not a super car which was your definition of exceeding a Tesla's performance. And you didn't clarify the fastest Tesla which at over $120k could be considered a super car in of itself. So, yeah, I'd say a bit of hyperbole.

As for comparing the average line up of Tesla against all other manufs, sure I'll concede that. But all other manufacturers have a more diverse line up meeting many different needs. Not an apples to apples comparison. Especially considering the least inexpensive tesla currently is how much?

#1709 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Cool....I'm more of a straight line racer myself although I've been toying with the idea of doing an HPDE course or autocross.
So is it a function of battery drain or duty cycle...I would have thought hard charges would put more of a drain on the battery vs the occasional burst out of track corners.

At the track, It’s a heat issue ... not sure if it’s the battery or the motors.

#1710 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Not an apples to apples comparison. Especially considering the least inexpensive tesla currently is how much?

$35k (it was 28.5k before the tax rebate expired). The same money gets you a nissan leaf or a chevy bolt, both which don't have the same battery range or speed, or the charging speed. Currently there's really no way for ANY manufacturer to build an electric car with a decent range for less than $35k, and it's not the motor or the technology, it comes down to the price of lithium-ion cells. Tesla has the best chance at maximizing cost reduction by optimizing the cell size eliminating the middle man by producing it themselves. Every car manufacturer really needs to have at least one electric car in their lineup because the day a battery breakthrough happens (increasing capacity or reducing cost, or both), electric is going to be VERY competitive with ICE.

#1711 5 years ago

An in-depth analysis I recently read (or maybe it was anti-Tesla propaganda) proposed that one of the major Manufacturers will simply mainstream and mass produce a car based on Tesla and kill Tesla in the Market.
The Tucker and Delorean come to mind as ahead of their time upstarts destroyed by the big three. I would not feel comfortable holding the stock long term.

#1712 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

The Tucker and Delorean come to mind as ahead of their time upstarts destroyed by the big three. I would not feel comfortable holding the stock long term.

that IS apples and oranges.
The Tucker was made in the 50s, back when there were rarely any cars imported, and it truly was "the big three" stomping every small start up. They stopped him with bad press (because there was no internet to fact check), and by restricting buying of steel (now steel is made overseas, they can't stop that). Let's also not forget the bailout the big three got from the government to stay afloat from 2009-2013, they aren't nearly as big anymore
https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670

Delorean made the dumb mistake of being a middle man for cocaine transport to help keep his business afloat rather than seeking investors.

#1714 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

$35k (it was 28.5k before the tax rebate expired). The same money gets you a nissan leaf or a chevy bolt, both which don't have the same battery range or speed, or the charging speed. Currently there's really no way for ANY manufacturer to build an electric car with a decent range for less than $35k, and it's not the motor or the technology, it comes down to the price of lithium-ion cells. Tesla has the best chance at maximizing cost reduction by optimizing the cell size eliminating the middle man by producing it themselves. Every car manufacturer really needs to have at least one electric car in their lineup because the day a battery breakthrough happens (increasing capacity or reducing cost, or both), electric is going to be VERY competitive with ICE.

I said current Teslas...to my knowledge no 35k model 3s have been built or delivered. I agree that if Tesla is able to mass produce 35k Tesla's for the mass market it could be a game changer.

#1715 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

An in-depth analysis I recently read (or maybe it was anti-Tesla propaganda) proposed that one of the major Manufacturers will simply mainstream and mass produce a car based on Tesla and kill Tesla in the Market.

Tucker is a good example but the Delorean was a terrible car. Way under powered, crappy build quality by under trained staff in Ireland, and was Mish mashed together after dumping the rotary engine for a Peugeot 130hp v6.

#1716 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Way under powered, crappy build quality by under trained staff in Ireland, and was Mish mashed together after dumping the rotary engine for a Peugeot 130hp v6.

completely agree with all of that.. it's still a sweet looking car (which is also an iconic movie car), but it has many faults. Of course if you swap a vette motor in it's a different story:

#1717 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

It's half the price of a ludicrous P100D or P90D. It's not a super car which was your definition of exceeding a Tesla's performance. And you didn't clarify the fastest Tesla which at over $120k could be considered a super car in of itself. So, yeah, I'd say a bit of hyperbole.
As for comparing the average line up of Tesla against all other manufs, sure I'll concede that. But all other manufacturers have a more diverse line up meeting many different needs. Not an apples to apples comparison. Especially considering the least inexpensive tesla currently is how much?

You do realize your car can’t beat a Tesla. I noticed you not providing any details of this car your driving. No one thinks the LR 3 is blowing the doors off cars in the 1/4.

#1718 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You do realize your car can’t beat a Tesla. I noticed you not providing any details of this car your driving. No one thinks the LR 3 is blowing the doors off cars in the 1/4.

My car will beat more teslas than not, as most tesla models not named ludicrous are slower than 4 sec 0-60. So your comment once again would be incorrect. And the car I drive is no secret....posted all in the car club thread. It's a 2017 Alfa Quadrifoglio. Paid 58k. 0-60 in 3.6 or 3.8 depending on which publication you believe. 4 door sedan stock. I could put a chip mod in it and gain another 100hp and probably get closer to 3 secs, but it's my daily and don't feel like voiding the warranty

You seem personally upset that there are options besides Tesla. I'm a fan of the car, a little leary of the company, but can certainly appreciate the engineering of the model s and x. Jury still out on the 3 but I hope it succeeds. And I would love to own an S or X some day. The 3 isn't as impressive to me.

#1719 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I’d love it if you would link to that analysis.

The factors against existing automakers pulling a ‘mainstream and mass produce’ on Tesla, in no particular order:

Electric cars are not the same as ICE cars and require billions of dollars of research and investment to produce. Batteries, software, motors: none of the existing carmakers -none of them- have meaningful experience in these critical areas, nor are they investing fast enough. Jaguar (Tata motors) is outsourcing producion of their I-Pace SUV!

Tesla is now eating luxury carmakers lunch, big time. Now they’re even cutting into Toyota Prius and Honda Civic/Accord sales. The Model 3 is now in the top ten best sellers of all cars in the USA. Every car they sell takes profit from other automakers. This can quickly lead automakers, who don’t have much profit to begin with, not to have the cash available to invest. It’s Sears vs. Amazon and Nokia vs. Apple all over again.

Automakers rely on dealer networks which make their money on service. EV’s only need a fraction of the service as an ICE car, because they have so few parts that can fail, and the few parts they have are proving more reliable than thought.

Existing car companies are faced with the classic dilemma that all dinosaurs face with disruption; they must cannibalize their own markets to win. I don’t believe any of them have the intestinal fortitude to do so.

For US automakers, they’re just not pulling the top talent. Let’s face it, a brilliant young programmer/engineer would rather have Tesla on their resume than GM or Ford.

US automakers also rely on third parties for batteries. This puts them at a severe economic disadvantage when trying to compete with Tesla who make their own batteries. They think they can afford to sell EVs at a loss. Meanwhile Tesla has the largest factory in the world, and it is dedicated to making batteries.

I haven’t even brought up the charging network, autonomous features, 7+ billiion Tesla miles driven, brand loyalty, sexy looks, sexy stores, or their profitable battery/energy storage side.

#1720 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

And you didn't clarify the fastest Tesla which at over $120k could be considered a super car in of itself. So, yeah, I'd say a bit of hyperbole.

I think it’s pretty well-established that a supercar means something in the $300k or higher range. So no, not really a hyperbole.

I’m certain there are cars that can beat my P85 over a quarter mile. Maybe even yours, although unless you tune your car and keep it in top condition it is very unlikely you will match the mfg’s specs with a brand new engine.

None of that matters. I smoke everybody off the line at a stoplight, when I need to pass somebody, when I need to merge... and that’s all I care about. I’m not risking jail time just to street race a quarter mile with some joker.

#1721 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

My car will beat more teslas than not, as most tesla models not named ludicrous are slower than 4 sec 0-60. So your comment once again would be incorrect. And the car I drive is no secret....posted all in the car club thread. It's a 2017 Alfa Quadrifoglio. Paid 58k. 0-60 in 3.6 or 3.8 depending on which publication you believe. 4 door sedan stock. I could put a chip mod in it and gain another 100hp and probably get closer to 3 secs, but it's my daily and don't feel like voiding the warranty
You seem personally upset that there are options besides Tesla. I'm a fan of the car, a little leary of the company, but can certainly appreciate the engineering of the model s and x. Jury still out on the 3 but I hope it succeeds. And I would love to own an S or X some day. The 3 isn't as impressive to me.

Seems in reality it does 4.0 and only pulls 12s in the 1/4 last time I checked a 12 is no 10.8. A Tesla will blow the doors off your Ferrari inspired Alpha Romeo, maybe you should line it up against Rich Rebuilds P Model S that will cost half what you paid? I love that you using the what I paid amount. You keep saying I'm talking hyperbole but what have I said that isn't true? You just keep moving the goal post. No one thought I was talking about a Model 3 but I doubt your car could even beat a performance 3.

#1722 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Tucker built 55 cars total, lasted one year, and didn't have a billionaire backing them.

Tesla is producing 5,000 cars per week, is already well over 200,000 cars on the road, and is in its 6th year producing its own vehicles. if the big manufacturers had taken the Model S more seriously in 2012, sure they could have ramped up and retooled and squashed Tesla, but it's far too late for that now. Tesla also has over 10,000 superchargers operating, 2 gigafactories, a third one about to break ground in China, and $2.2 billion cash on hand.

They are not Tucker.

#1723 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Seems in reality it does 4.0 and only pulls 12s in the 1/4 last time I checked a 12 is no 10.8. A Tesla will blow the doors off your Ferrari inspired Alpha Romeo, maybe you should line it up against Rich Rebuilds P Model S that will cost half what you paid? I love that you using the what I paid amount. You keep saying I'm talking hyperbole but what have I said that isn't true? You just keep moving the goal post. No one thought I was talking about a Model 3 but I doubt your car could even beat a performance 3.

No, in reality if you'd bother to visit the alfa forums where people are posting time slips is sub 4 and sub 12. You again fail to acknowledge that at no time did I suggest my car would beat a 10.8 sec ludicrous model S. Talk about moving the goal posts. This is exactly why Tesla gets a bad rap sometimes. It has fans like you that can't stand it when someone presents real facts that Tesla isn't always the best. Go to car times dot com and see for your self how many teslas are slower than 4 secs or 12 sec 1/4. But in the end it doesnt matter. You enjoy your car, I'll enjoy mine. At least I can acknowledge I appreciate the Tesla and would actually purchase one. You're so blinded by fan loyalty, if it's not Tesla it's nothing for you it seems. I've de railed this thread enough with this line of debate. I'm off to enjoy my motor trend car of the year

#1724 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I think it’s pretty well-established that a supercar means something in the $300k or higher range. So no, not really a hyperbole.
I’m certain there are cars that can beat my P85 over a quarter mile. Maybe even yours, although unless you tune your car and keep it in top condition it is very unlikely you will match the mfg’s specs with a brand new engine.
None of that matters. I smoke everybody off the line at a stoplight, when I need to pass somebody, when I need to merge... and that’s all I care about. I’m not risking jail time just to street race a quarter mile with some joker.

Exactly...thank you. I don't know how we got into this swinging d### line of conversation, as I'm a fan of the ludicrous model S and would own one given the right circumstances. I don't street race either...too old and too much to lose. And I appreciate all manner of cars, and have been a fan of Telsa the car. I'm not as much a fan of Musk and company currently, but that could change depending on the continued success of the 3. Anyway as I just posted I'm out of this line of conversation....back to debating the company and not the car.

#1726 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

No, in reality if you'd bother to visit the alfa forums where people are posting time slips is sub 4 and sub 12. You again fail to acknowledge that at no time did I suggest my car would beat a 10.8 sec ludicrous model S. Talk about moving the goal posts. This is exactly why Tesla gets a bad rap sometimes. It has fans like you that can't stand it when someone presents real facts that Tesla isn't always the best. Go to car times dot com and see for your self how many teslas are slower than 4 secs or 12 sec 1/4. But in the end it doesnt matter. You enjoy your car, I'll enjoy mine. At least I can acknowledge I appreciate the Tesla and would actually purchase one. You're so blinded by fan loyalty, if it's not Tesla it's nothing for you it seems. I've de railed this thread enough with this line of debate. I'm off to enjoy my motor trend car of the year

No one thought I was saying every single Tesla on the road would beat every car on the road. All your doing is whataboutism. I made one comment that is true, someone else posted video evidence showing it to be true. You ego got bruised and you started the whole but my car, you give Tesla fans a bad name. You did exactly what another poster commented, full man baby because an EV is faster. The car you drive should not be a support system for your ego.

P.S. You started the whole swinging dick thing. I made a commented directed at no one.

#1727 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

No one thought I was saying every single Tesla on the road would beat every car on the road. All your doing is whataboutism. I made one comment that is true, someone else posted video evidence showing it to be true. You ego got bruised and you started the whole but my car, you give Tesla fans a bad name. You did exactly what another poster commented, full man baby because an EV is faster. The car you drive should not be a support system for your ego.
P.S. You started the whole swinging dick thing. I made a commented directed at no one.

Tesla is a brand not a model. Dodge smokes every car...oh I meant Dodge Demon but you knew what I meant. Really done now as there's no point arguing such ridiculousness.

#1728 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Tesla is a brand not a model. Dodge smokes every car...oh I meant Dodge Demon but you knew what I meant. Really done now as there's no point arguing such ridiculousness.

Dude Dodge Demon, lol you need to watch a little drag times. It does not fair well against the P100D, and of course I would assume that was the car you meant. Just like if you said Ford I know you mean the race they have been hyping for weeks and I think Ford is going to take it. You came in this thread with this gem.

Quoted from robertmee:

Hyperbole much? Most Tesla's are quite pedestrian by today's standards.

Please defend that hyperbole, what exactly is pedestrian about Tesla?
Styling, handling, speed, technology, maintenance, media coverage, automation, the CEO, market disruption, environmental impact please I would love for you to justify that post. Dude you came in to troll and you just keep digging deeper. Just move on.

If anyone is interested Ford vs Tesla going to be crazy.

#1729 5 years ago

speaking of fast cars, anyone following the 1600hp Hennessy? supposedly capable of 300mph (at least on paper). Haven't seen a test run yet

#1730 5 years ago

The real value to owning a Tesla isn’t 0-60 or quarter mile times; that’s just frosting. The real value is not polluting our environment and making real progress against global warming. I do nothing and the solar panels on my house charge my car. I wake up every day to a full “tank”. The fact that it’s a pleasure to drive, and more fun than most ICE cars is a bonus, and proves you don’t have to sacrifice to curb your impact on our world.

Full disclosure: I’ve owned several Porsche, Audi, and BMWs in the past. I’m a car snob, but not a super gear head. All my cars are now electric. I’m long on TSLA.

#1731 5 years ago

The more I think about it, the more I feel Toyota really blew it. They were the world leaders in electric cars if you count the Prius. Back when the Prius took off it was the car of choice for celebrities, which like it or not really drives auto sales. Toyota really made Tesla possible by showing how much demand there was for the Prius.

The fact that the #1 car traded in for the Tesla Model 3 is a Toyota Prius is possibly the most interesting data point in the whole Q2 call. Maybe there’s a massive hidden segment of people who could easily buy a much more expensive car but because of climate change bought a Prius instead. At the time, Prius was the greenest thing you could buy mass market.

Couple that with the 35k price range being the most common amount spent on a car in the USA and wow. That could mean way more Model 3’s than anyone expected.

I’m seeing so many Model 3’s now that I can tell the difference between a 3 and an S fairly quickly, especially if I see them from the back.

#1732 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

The real value to owning a Tesla isn’t 0-60 or quarter mile times; that’s just frosting. The real value is not polluting our environment and making real progress against global warming. I do nothing and the solar panels on my house charge my car. I wake up every day to a full “tank”. The fact that it’s a pleasure to drive, and more fun than most ICE cars is a bonus, and proves you don’t have to sacrifice to curb your impact on our world.
Full disclosure: I’ve owned several Porsche, Audi, and BMWs in the past. I’m a car snob, but not a super gear head. All my cars are now electric. I’m long on TSLA.

That's commendable that your carbon foot print is minimal due to being on solar to charge your car. Have any real studies been done that show what the effect of a sudden shift to EV for transportation would do to the conventional power grid which is mostly supplied by coal, gas and oil in the US. Were the grid on nuclear, wind or solar then certainly EV would reduce dependence on oil and polution. But if we are using more electricity to charge vehicles that's sourced from fossil fuels what's the net benefit? Just wondering as our grids are already reaching critical saturation as I understand it.

#1733 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

That's commendable that your carbon foot print is minimal due to being on solar to charge your car. Have any real studies been done that show what the effect of a sudden shift to EV for transportation would do to the conventional power grid which is mostly supplied by coal, gas and oil in the US. Were the grid on nuclear, wind or solar then certainly EV would reduce dependence on oil and polution. But if we are using more electricity to charge vehicles that's sourced from fossil fuels what's the net benefit? Just wondering as our grids are already reaching critical saturation as I understand it.

There have been many studies done. The net benefit is massively in our favor.

When, not if, we shift massively to EV’s, there will have to be improvements made in our grid. There’s no way around that. I feel confident we can meet the challenge given the profits our electrical monopolies enjoy and the fact that the upgrades would set themselves up for further profits.

Given the fact that solar and wind are now the cheapest forms of power by far, any new capacity coming online is certain to be greener than most of what we have. In my state we’re well over 50% renewable and rising. All my power is renewable, but this isn’t the norm yet.

A lot of the impact can be mitigated by shifting charging to off peak times. All Teslas, and many other EV’s (the VW e-Golf for sure) can be set to charge only during certain hours.

By the way, it’s not well-known, but managing off-peak electrical grid load is a serious problem, and off-peak EV charging would actually help.

As costs continue to topple for solar + battery in-home installations this will also help.

#1734 5 years ago

just picked up my Boring marshmallow toaster today.

yeehayeeha

making smoresmaking smores

my car, just to keep it Tesla related.my car, just to keep it Tesla related.

#1735 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Dude you came in to troll and you just keep digging deeper. Just move on..

You would be incorrect again. Not a troll. I first started talking about buying a Model S on Pinside 2 years ago. Even met a local pinsider that had one and was able to test drive. They are very impressive. My comment about pedestrian was in regards to speed. There are many non super cars today that eclipse the speed of STANDARD Teslas...I don't know why you continue to gloss over that fact. I enjoy an intelligent debate but you don't offer that. I've disagreed with Pez at times but I respect his opinions as they are facts. You're clouded with emotional attachment, presumably because you own a Tesla. That's fine and no more use in arguing. If you wish to debate, feel free to PM me.

#1736 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

There have been many studies done. The net benefit is massively in our favor.
When, not if, we shift massively to EV’s, there will have to be improvements made in our grid. There’s no way around that. I feel confident we can meet the challenge given the profits our electrical monopolies enjoy and the fact that the upgrades would set themselves up for further profits.
Given the fact that solar and wind are now the cheapest forms of power by far, any new capacity coming online is certain to be greener than most of what we have. In my state we’re well over 50% renewable and rising. All my power is renewable, but this isn’t the norm yet.
A lot of the impact can be mitigated by shifting charging to off peak times. All Teslas, and many other EV’s (the VW e-Golf for sure) can be set to charge only during certain hours.
By the way, it’s not well-known, but managing off-peak electrical grid load is a serious problem, and off-peak EV charging would actually help.
As costs continue to topple for solar + battery in-home installations this will also help.

That's interesting, thanks. I had no idea that Oregon was that far into alternative energy conversion. Impressive. I can see how west coast cities with the wind and sun availability as well as open lands to build solar and wind farms are oit pacing us on the east. I just wonder how the more densely populated areas in the mid and north east will be able to make those transitions.

#1737 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

That's interesting, thanks. I had no idea that Oregon was that far into alternative energy conversion. Impressive. I can see how west coast cities with the wind and sun availability as well as open lands to build solar and wind farms are oit pacing us on the east. I just wonder how the more densely populated areas in the mid and north east will be able to make those transitions.

Given the peaks and troughs in the power grid, smart charging setups can actually decrease the amount of "reserve" power generation needed. All the plugged in cars and batteries around the grid can then supply the power that was banked at non-peak times when there is need.

I visited one of our hydroelectric dams last year that was built in ~1980. They STILL have not needed to add their third generator, AND they essentially let water through without generating power most nights just to keep the river running. Not every location has such an abundance of hydroelectric power, but that and other renewables are ready to take up the additional need for power from electric vehicles as they roll out.

As stated above it is a question of when (and the exact rate) not IF. I see dozens of electric cars on my city's roads every day, the Nissan leaf has to be one of the most common cars on our roads.

#1738 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

There are many non super cars today that eclipse the speed of STANDARD Teslas...I don't know why you continue to gloss over that fact.

Ok, wait a sec. if we’re saying that a super car is worth $300k or more. Then you could use the same statement in Tesla’s defense. Let me try.

There are many non super car tesla’s that eclipse the speed of STANDARD (insert any auto mfgr.) ...I don't know why you continue to gloss over that fact.

I have to admit some of your arguments are kinda thin.

#1739 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Given the fact that solar and wind are now the cheapest forms of power by far

The actual panels and wind turbines are cheap these days... Getting those devices to work with the power grid (converting, managing the power, conditioning it, storing it) are still challenging and expensive. A lot of the electrical companies (at least from conversations I've had with someone that lives in california) make it very difficult to not only setup a solar system, but they limit how much you can sell back (and they also screw you when they DO buy electricity from you).

I've been following "mechanical energy" storage on youtube. Bill gates is a big believer in it. Basically instead of using batteries (which are expensive and have a limited lifespan), you say use that energy to run a low gear motor that lifts a heavy weight on a pulley (which creates potential energy). As you need energy, you simply run the system in reverse.

#1740 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I've been following "mechanical energy" storage on youtube

I watched a doc a while ago on different “battery” storage options, and the one company was using huge stone flywheels that are kept in a vacuum. They took little effort to spin up to speed and could coast for quite a while. I don’t think it was practical, but it was cool.

#1741 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Ok, wait a sec. if we’re saying that a super car is worth $300k or more. Then you could use the same statement in Tesla’s defense. Let me try.
There are many non super car tesla’s that eclipse the speed of STANDARD (insert any auto mfgr.) ...I don't know why you continue to gloss over that fact.
I have to admit some of your arguments are kinda thin.

I don't gloss over that fact that's the difference...I didnt make the statement that "Tesla blows away everything not a supercar". I fully acknowledge that Tesla as a brand is performance inclined. My only point is that a 5 sec/13 sec car nowadays is not in rarefied air anymore. 10 years ago, perhaps. But nearly every car manufacturer has a model under 70k that exceeds or matches the performance of a standard tesla. It's not a knock against Tesla...it's just a sign of the times. Even Kia with the new stinger is 4.4 sec.

#1742 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The actual panels and wind turbines are cheap these days... Getting those devices to work with the power grid (converting, managing the power, conditioning it, storing it) are still challenging and expensive. A lot of the electrical companies (at least from conversations I've had with someone that lives in california) make it very difficult to not only setup a solar system, but they limit how much you can sell back (and they also screw you when they DO buy electricity from you).
I've been following "mechanical energy" storage on youtube. Bill gates is a big believer in it. Basically instead of using batteries (which are expensive and have a limited lifespan), you say use that energy to run a low gear motor that lifts a heavy weight on a pulley (which creates potential energy). As you need energy, you simply run the system in reverse.

I've been looking at mechanical energy storage and generation too...very innovative stuff. Alwas thought something could be done with Nitinol (Nickel Titanium). Also, certainly something could be done to harness the biggest source of mechanical energy...the earth's rotation.

#1743 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I don't gloss over that fact that's the difference...I didnt make the statement that "Tesla blows away everything not a supercar". I fully acknowledge that Tesla as a brand is performance inclined. My only point is that a 5 sec/13 sec car nowadays is not in rarefied air anymore. 10 years ago, perhaps. But nearly every car manufacturer has a model under 70k that exceeds or matches the performance of a standard tesla. It's not a knock against Tesla...it's just a sign of the times. Even Kia with the new stinger is 4.4 sec.

Man you just keep trying this same silly argument in the absence of reality. What Tesla has a 5 second 0-60? Is a single model actually that slow? My RWD LR 3 is faster than that. You can only post false information so many times. You literally tried the whole EVs are bad for the environment because of electricity production, that little gem is nonsense. It’s silly argument number one in the troll handbook. Everyone is fully aware I was referring to performance models. You just keep pretending otherwise.

Time to tidy up this thread, should have done it from the start.

#1744 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Man you just keep trying this same silly argument in the absence of reality. What Tesla has a 5 second 0-60? Is a single model actually that slow? My RWD LR 3 is faster than that. You can only post false information so many times. You literally tried the whole EVs are bad for the environment because of electricity production, that little gem is nonsense. It’s silly argument number one in the troll handbook. Everyone is fully aware I was referring to performance models. You just keep pretending otherwise.

By my count 8 of the 17 listed?

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/tesla-0-60-mph-times/

I didn't say EVS were bad for the environment? I asked how the power grid was going to handle it. You guys are way too sensitive.

#1745 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Woah woah, you’re conflating a lot of things. Solar and wind are the cheapest forms of power, period. Inclusive of all operating costs.

Grid tie systems aren’t challenging at all. It is trivial to have both solar and grid power in a house.

Inverters that convert DC solar to AC ‘house power,’ if that’s what you mean by ‘converting it’ are similarly trivial.

Some utilities make it very hard to sell them power, but is a legislative issue not a cost issue.

Battery storage systems aren’t needed in most cases, particularly when your house is tied in to the grid. Off-grid systems, areas with frequent power outages, or places with critical power needs like hospitals need them.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yeah things like flywheels and molten salt are all viable storage technologies. Very cool stuff. I haven’t seen a viable small scale flywheel yet but I hope we can make them.

But don’t throw the batteries out yet. Tesla Li-ion batteries last much longer than those on your phone, particularly if they are not over or under charged. It’s expected that Tesla car batteries will be able to be used for decades after they’re pulled out of the car in places that need less power. And then they can be recycled.

#1746 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

It’s a popular misconception that solar won’t work outside of California. It’s just not true:
https://www.energy.gov/maps/solar-energy-potential

From that map, the east coast gets just as much sun as the west coast. More than where I live in fact!

The real gains come from household rooftop solar in urban areas IMO. Wind turbines have very small footprints and don’t require large amounts of space.

As far as wind, your claim is that there’s more wind on the west coast??

And it’s safe to call it just ‘energy’ now. Alternative is kind of an 80’s term.

#1747 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Grid tie systems aren’t challenging at all. It is trivial to have both solar and grid power in a house.

The way I understand how it works (solar typically runs above 12v, gets regulated to 12v, then an inverter upconverts it to 120vac), but it's my understanding that even if you don't sell power back that you still have to run a true sine wave inverter because you can't mix it with grid AC if that were the case (unless you have some master switch that runs off the grid during the day, then you switch over to grid power after a certain time because power is dirt cheap). Even if you buy the building blocks (believe me, I've watched a ton of youtube videos on it), it seems like the controllers can get expensive when you start talking going above about 30 amps. Also there's a lot you have to be careful of while wiring it all up just the same if you were doing electrical work (don't know if there's like a "off the grid for dummies" book)? I can imagine someone making a lot of assumptions and not taking pre-cautions with proper fusing and causing an electrical fire.

On that note, I really like this dude's 4 videos about his tesla power brick installation:

#1748 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

It’s a popular misconception that solar won’t work outside of California. It’s just not true:
https://www.energy.gov/maps/solar-energy-potential
From that map, the east coast gets just as much sun as the west coast. More than where I live in fact!
The real gains come from household rooftop solar in urban areas IMO. Wind turbines have very small footprints and don’t require large amounts of space.
As far as wind, your claim is that there’s more wind on the west coast??
And it’s safe to call it just ‘energy’ now. Alternative is kind of an 80’s term.

Lol...no not more wind, although there is a lot of hot air sometimes. No, in regards to wind, more space is available for large wind farms.

#1749 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Lol...no not more wind, although there is a lot of hot air sometimes. No, in regards to wind, more space is available for large wind farms.

Funny. I’m pretty confident there’s an equal amount of hot air from the east coast.

They’ve got plenty of wind power in Europe, and they have vastly less space than on the east coast.

#1750 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

.Also there's a lot you have to be careful of while wiring it all up just the same if you were doing electrical work (don't know if there's like a "off the grid for dummies" book)? I can imagine someone making a lot of assumptions and not taking pre-cautions with proper fusing and causing an electrical fire.

Oh I didn’t realize you were talking DIY. My bad. For sure solar is complex and dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. I like to use experts for things like installing solar, fixing my Tesla, surgery, transcontinental flights...

There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.