Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 67.
#801 6 years ago

Wife just put down a deposit. 2015 with 6k miles and literally EVERY option.

93B88CB4-6F25-404B-8E3C-DDE5E0D835AC (resized).jpeg93B88CB4-6F25-404B-8E3C-DDE5E0D835AC (resized).jpeg

92DBB599-3A84-4A52-9F4B-970BF586CFA8 (resized).jpeg92DBB599-3A84-4A52-9F4B-970BF586CFA8 (resized).jpeg

#802 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Wife just put down a deposit. 2015 with 6k miles and literally EVERY option.

How much percentage wise do these depreciate on the secondhand market? I'm assuming you paid considerably less than when new? 6,000 miles for any car is just getting broke in, even more so for electric cars that need very little maintenance.

#803 6 years ago

Test drove a new 75D in the S and X yesterday. Very impressed. Actually toying with buying a used P90D with all options and ludicrous upgrade. Any input from some longer term Tesla owners is appreciated. If I buy this I’m gonna want to drive it for many years in order to somewhat justify spending so much for a car (my first house 20 years ago was only $100k and it killed me of makes me sick to think of spending only slightly less on a car lol. Most I’ve spent on a vehicle to date is mid 60’s)
Thanks.
Darin

My friend got one of the first S in the US now has 85k miles

He said the only bad thing was the summer tires only were lasting 12K miles each eventually he switched to less summer tires more all season tires to get longer lasting tires.

Might look on the forums to see if there’s an alignment adjustment to get better tire life too.

#804 6 years ago

Let’s just say buying slightly used is a huge financial boon.

Yeah, I used to have a Jag XFR with high performance low profile tires. Very expensive but I guess that is just cost of ownership but it does suck.

#805 6 years ago

I’m conflicted between a new Tesla 3 or a slightly used Porsche 911.

I know they’re not the same class of car, but I’m almost at the age where I can’t buy a sports car if I wait too long and the 911 is one of the nice middle age guy spots car.

#806 6 years ago

A little more research and another question. This car has the "Autopilot Convenience Features" option which sounds like is the hardware version 1 of autopilot and will never be able to be upgraded to fully autonomous driving. Additionally, one thing I did like when test driving the new Tesla was the additional rear mounted cameras which allow you an amazing panoramic view behind your car as you're driving. I feel a little hesitation on not getting the latest-greatest as far as self driving goes. I'd hate to buy something only to feel like I need to upgrade later. (Kind of feels like I'm looking at a computer system more than a car, lol. Of course the technology is advancing so quickly I guess if you you're always waiting for tech to be finished you'll never jump in). There is a HUGE increase in cost to get the performance battery and the enhanced autopilot (like $40-50k right now) which simply isn't worth it in my opinion at this time. So, the question would be do I finish pulling the trigger on this or wait a couple of years to let the P100D's come down in price and buy then?

Am I overthinking this autopilot stuff? For those of you with similar specs to what I have a deposit on do you ever feel like your missing out on cruise control functions and lane departure-type stuff? I'm not really sure how much I'd use those features anyhow and grabbing a P90D with all options and Ludicrous for $86k seems like overall a great deal for a car that was $142k just 2 years ago.

Thanks for the help. I need a little free psychiatric advice when spending so much money. Just hoping to avoid any buyer's remorse.

Darin

#807 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m conflicted between a new Tesla 3 or a slightly used Porsche 911.
I know they’re not the same class of car, but I’m almost at the age where I can’t buy a sports car if I wait too long and the 911 is one of the nice middle age guy spots car.

Why not a nice CPO Model S? The P85 is quicker off the line than just about anything on the road and can be had for the same as a well equipped Model 3. If you buy one from Tesla you get a full warranty and they refurbish the car to like new!

#808 6 years ago

A little more research and another question. This car has the "Autopilot Convenience Features" option which sounds like is the hardware version 1 of autopilot and will never be able to be upgraded to fully autonomous driving. Additionally, one thing I did like when test driving the new Tesla was the additional rear mounted cameras which allow you an amazing panoramic view behind your car as you're driving. I feel a little hesitation on not getting the latest-greatest as far as self driving goes. I'd hate to buy something only to feel like I need to upgrade later. (Kind of feels like I'm looking at a computer system more than a car, lol. Of course the technology is advancing so quickly I guess if you you're always waiting for tech to be finished you'll never jump in). There is a HUGE increase in cost to get the performance battery and the enhanced autopilot (like $40-50k right now) which simply isn't worth it in my opinion at this time. So, the question would be do I finish pulling the trigger on this or wait a couple of years to let the P100D's come down in price and buy then?
Am I overthinking this autopilot stuff? For those of you with similar specs to what I have a deposit on do you ever feel like your missing out on cruise control functions and lane departure-type stuff? I'm not really sure how much I'd use those features anyhow and grabbing a P90D with all options and Ludicrous for $86k seems like overall a great deal for a car that was $142k just 2 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I need a little free psychiatric advice when spending so much money. Just hoping to avoid any buyer's remorse.
Darin

If you hop on the Tesla forms you will see that most prefer AP1 over AP2, at least for now. AP2 has a lot of glitches. AP1 is nearly flawless. I'd personally go with the AP1 car and enjoy the heck out of it for a lot less $$.

#809 6 years ago
Quoted from shakenbake:

Why not a nice CPO Model S? The P85 is quicker off the line than just about anything on the road and can be had for the same as a well equipped Model 3. If you buy one from Tesla you get a full warranty and they refurbish the car to like new!

I don't care about quicker off the line. That's not want a sports car is about. Some people claim Model S is a sports car because it's quick, it's not a sports car it's a large 5-door car. Maybe compare it to a Porsche Panamera or Audi S7 that's what it is like.

I don't give a hang about 1/4 mile times, am coming from S2000 and M3 and the M3 was a bit too big to qualify as a sports car.

The Model S weighs 4700+ lbs. I have a minivan and three-row SUVs that weighs less than a Model S, a sports car and a Model S are not anything alike.

The 911 is not a lightweight car like a Miata it does weigh as low as 3150 (1500 less weight than a well equipped Model S).

#810 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't care about quicker off the line. That's not want a sports car is about. Some people claim Model S is a sports car because it's quick, it's not a sports car it's a large 5-door car. Maybe compare it to a Porsche Panamera or Audi S7 that's what it is like.
I don't give a hang about 1/4 mile times, am coming from S2000 and M3 and the M3 was a bit too big to qualify as a sports car.
The Model S weighs 4700+ lbs. I have a minivan and three-row SUVs that weighs less than a Model S, a sports car and a Model S are not anything alike.
The 911 is not a lightweight car like a Miata it does weigh as low as 3150 (1500 less weight than a well equipped Model S).

911's are awesome. I looked at them before I ended up with a Z06. I think I'll own a 911 at some point. Sensible daily driver that does the twisties real nice.

#811 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

True, but I think the idea about the 85 was that you mentioned maybe getting a model 3. The point is for a nicely equipped 3 that you'll wait for you can get an 85 which is more car and you can have it now.

I have owned an older Porsche 968 Cabriolet and it was a fun car but it was no 911. I will say on my limited test drive Friday the Model S can corner like a banshee (for that size of a car...very low center of gravity and sticks to the road)

#812 6 years ago

True, but I think the idea about the 85 was that you mentioned maybe getting a model 3. The point is for a nicely equipped 3 that you'll wait for you can get an 85 which is more car and you can have it now.
I have owned an older Porsche 968 Cabriolet and it was a fun car but it was no 911. I will say on my limited test drive Friday the Model S can corner like a banshee (for that size of a car...very low center of gravity and sticks to the road)

Agreed. The P85 with air suspension all the way down handles pretty amazing!

#813 6 years ago

A sports car does not have anything to do with being able to do 0-60 of 1/4 mile time quickly.

I'm also not saying that I'm looking at a track car. But if anything a car that can handle on the track is more engaging and fun to drive on a winding road (rather than a car that does good in a straight line).

It's the difference between a fast luxury car (Tesla) and a sports car (anything that stops and turns well on a track or back road).

The Tesla S is not a sports car and not as fun as 911, Corvette, Mustangs, S2200, Cayman, to drive. Yes the Tesla S is fast in a straight line and is nice to drive on the highway and comfortable etc..

http://www.thedrive.com/news/5207/this-video-reminds-us-that-the-tesla-model-s-is-an-awful-track-car

it's painful to watch the Tesla pushed hard around a corner it looks as if it's leaning over hard on its suspension and tires.

this from that youtube Tesla video comment from a Tesla S owner saying Tesla is a nice car to drive on the HW and quick off this line but not a sports car.

That's why I use a Tesla for daily driving.. nice and quiet, pretty boring overall unless its stomping the pedal down at stoplights which lost its novelty after a couple months. My McLaren 570S is much more fun to drive and I prefer to take that most of the time. From 0-60 the Tesla is cool, but after that it starts slowing down and isn't exciting. The McLaren (or any other sports car) is all smiles past 60MPH

#814 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I just wanted to address the notion that the model S is a sports car because it can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds.
Being a sports car does not have anything to do with being able to do 0-60 of 1/4 mile time quickly.
I'm also not saying that I'm looking at a track car. But if anything a car that can handle on the track is more engaging and fun to drive on a winding road (rather than a car that does good in a straight line).
It's the difference between a fast luxury car (Tesla) and a sports car (anything that stops and turns well on a track or back road).
The Tesla S is not a sports car and not as fun as 911, Corvette, Mustangs, S2200, Cayman, to drive. Yes the Tesla S is fast in a straight line and is nice to drive on the highway and comfortable etc..
http://www.thedrive.com/news/5207/this-video-reminds-us-that-the-tesla-model-s-is-an-awful-track-car
it's painful to watch the Tesla pushed hard around a corner it looks as if it's leaning over hard on its suspension and tires.
» YouTube video » YouTube video
this from that youtube Tesla video comment from a Tesla S owner saying Tesla is nice car to drive on the HW and quick off this line but not a sports car.

It's definitely not a winner at autocross or road course day. The batteries heat up and go into limp mode. That being said, the P100DL can run a 10.50 1/4 mile. Not too shabby for a 5000lb car. I'm sure everyday spirited back roads are pretty fun too. Unfortunately I won't be able to compare it to my Z06 until next spring when it comes out of hibernation. Good luck in your hunt for a 911. They are amazing machines. One day I'll have a GT3, I hope

#815 6 years ago

well, it does handle remarkably well for a 5,000 pound car. unbelievably low center of gravity because all the weight is in the battery (the rest of the car is aluminum). but yeah, you can't track it, and it's nothing like driving a 2-seater sports car. it's a family sedan (an amazing one imho though! ).

#817 6 years ago

My P85 is nearly five years old. I love it and it has been extremely reliable.

As far as a sports car experience goes, it's a hell of a lot more fun to throw around corners than my M3 was. No comparison. Honestly you couldn't pay me to go back.

The 21 inch tires can last longer or shorter than 12k. Depends on how heavy your foot is. Cost of owning such a fast car.

#818 6 years ago

Great to hear the positivity after 5 years ownership. I’m hoping to keep mine for many years.

Car being delivered his week.

#819 6 years ago

Tesla is pushing out a few new features to existing Model S and Model X vehicles this week -- they are adding "Chill" mode to go along with "Sport" and "Ludicrous" driving modes. It is designed to further smooth out acceleration for the squeamish. They're also adding an "easy entry" feature which moves the steering wheel up and in and the seat back when the driver approaches the car, and then moves it back to the preset position for that keyfob when the driver sits down. (i know some other cars have this too, but it's always nice to get new features for free!).

#820 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Tesla is pushing out a few new features to existing Model S and Model X vehicles this week -- they are adding "Chill" mode to go along with "Sport" and "Ludicrous" driving modes. It is designed to further smooth out acceleration for the squeamish. They're also adding an "easy entry" feature which moves the steering wheel up and in and the seat back when the driver approaches the car, and then moves it back to the preset position for that keyfob when the driver sits down. (i know some other cars have this too, but it's always nice to get new features for free!).

Pretty awesome that a 3-5 year old car will continue to get better with updates!

#821 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video

Watched that video, looks very nice. My biggest complaint is like he said no instruments or turn signal in front of the driver. I’d prefer to see a setup like the Model S with an extra display even if its an option.

I don’t like the trunk opening, even more so when I see how far up the body the trunk hinge is, it’s like it should be a hatchback. The interior looks a bit empty, the center display is great but it doesn’t need to be the only interaction to the car IMO.

It looks like a fine computer car.

#822 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

A sports car does not have anything to do with being able to do 0-60 of 1/4 mile time quickly.

I agree with this. I've been toying with getting an S instead of a 3 a bit, although at the moment I don't have money for either, and the fact that even if I get a slower 3, the size feels more "sporty" to me I think will end up with it being the winner.

Having said that if you're looking sporty, find a Roadster

Quoted from rai:

It might look that way, but I can tell you it doesn't *feel* that way, at all. I can take turns in the Leaf stupid fast because of the low center of gravity, and it honestly feels amazing to do. I'm sure from the outside of the car, it leans a bit on the suspension, but the low center of gravity makes it incredibly "sticky". I get to drive it in ways I would never drive a gas car, even though by definition, it's as far from a "Sporty" looking car as it gets.

Am I overthinking this autopilot stuff?

I don't have a car with autopilot of any type (yet ), but I my brief thoughts are buy this now, and when autopilot becomes a thing, use cars with autopilot as taxis. I see little to no benefit once we get to full autonomy to owning a car with autopilot when I could get literally the exact same experience for far less in a car I don't own. It's expected that the cost to use them like taxis will be less than the cost to own a traditional car, so it won't be much different. Until then, you get to fly around in an incredible car.

Having said that, I'm 100% ready for autopilot to come and will gladly ride around in those cars the moment they arrive.

Quoted from rai:

I don’t like the trunk opening, even more so when I see how far up the body the trunk hinge is, it’s like it should be a hatchback. The interior looks a bit empty, the center display is great but it doesn’t need to be the only interaction to the car IMO.

The back windshield being as big as it is makes it so it can't be a hatch. The early prototypes had the truck opening lower, but then it didn't open as much, and people complained so they moved it. I agree it looks kind of funny, but it works.

The interior is designed to be minimalist, and I for one love that. The center console, theoretically, is there to be your infotainment center when the car is hopefully driving itself. The dash is also supposed to be pushed up to give you more space. I haven't yet watched this video, but from the others I have seen, I really like it for a whole variety of reasons.

Also, while the center console for speed and stuff has been questioned, I find myself looking at the center console of our Leaf (which is smaller and mounted lower) regularly to see things about our energy usage and stuff just for fun. I think it would take me about five minutes to get used to this, even without it being in the traditional spot.

#823 6 years ago

Okay,since Elon needs more time to get through production hell and build my Tesla model 3, i bought an amazing S85 from first owner!
I own a Tesla now!! Yes!!
Such a great car,it is like,brand new..

IMG_0022 (resized).PNGIMG_0022 (resized).PNG

IMG_0020 (resized).PNGIMG_0020 (resized).PNG

IMG_0023 (resized).PNGIMG_0023 (resized).PNG

IMG_0049 (resized).JPGIMG_0049 (resized).JPG

#825 6 years ago

I received my P90D a few days ago. YIKES! What a car. Still trying to figure out how to use/program the thing. There are a few slightly weird things which I'm wondering if I'm not understanding something correctly...

Is the only way to unlock doors by going into the touch screen? Would be nice to have a normal button where the window buttons are like on every other car. Feel like I'm an idiot when trying to unlock doors

Also found an unintended consequence of the silent motor - my dogs don't realize the car is on so will walk in front of or behind the car when I'm parked but start to move. They usually are good about moving out of the way when they hear an engine. Certainly need to be careful and watch out for the pups!

#826 6 years ago

I received my P90D a few days ago. YIKES! What a car.

congrats! really an amazing vehicle.

Is the only way to unlock doors by going into the touch screen? Would be nice to have a normal button where the window buttons are like on every other car. Feel like I'm an idiot when trying to unlock doors

I'm pretty sure putting the car in Park automatically unlocks it. Or you can tap the top of the keyfob. But yeah, the lock icon at the top of the screen is the best way to manually unlock the car from inside. It's in a different place than most cars, but it's always there, it's not like you have to dig through a menu to find it.

Also found an unintended consequence of the silent motor - my dogs don't realize the car is on so will walk in front of or behind the car when I'm parked but start to move. They usually are good about moving out of the way when they hear an engine. Certainly need to be careful and watch out for the pups!

Luckily the backup camera is pretty great for that. Huge screen, fairly panoramic rear view. But yeah, keep an eye out when backing up. It can surprise humans as well.

#827 6 years ago

maybe you need to configure the car to unlock when you put it in park. I have other cars and you can program to unlock all or unlock drivers door or none when you put it in park.

#828 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

congrats! really an amazing vehicle.

I'm pretty sure putting the car in Park automatically unlocks it. Or you can tap the top of the keyfob. But yeah, the lock icon at the top of the screen is the best way to manually unlock the car from inside. It's in a different place than most cars, but it's always there, it's not like you have to dig through a menu to find it.

Luckily the backup camera is pretty great for that. Huge screen, fairly panoramic rear view. But yeah, keep an eye out when backing up. It can surprise humans as well.

Just found the lock icon earlier today! Much better.

#829 6 years ago

Thanks buddy!
I just wanted one right now and not in 2020
I love the car,absolutely love it!

#830 6 years ago

I've heard where you can get these for as little as 65% original price. Hope you got a great deal.

#831 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I've heard where you can get these for as little as 65% original price. Hope you got a great deal.

The dude had it private lease and got all the financial benefits on it and he used his company to pay it off completely.
I have been watching the market daily...for months...this one showed up and was so cheap that i was already underway while calling him.
Played my cards right and beat it down another 8k.
Car is brand spanking new,new tires and brakes..
I was real lucky with this guy,he was an " i clean my car every sunday" type of guy.

He also included a ton of different charging adapters and the tesla roof rack.

At the moment i am creating a charging station to put in my driveway.
It is a 3 fase tesla wall connector.
Gonna dig a hole,pour concrete in and throw in four stud bolts.

I want to install the wall connector myself but i have a hard time finding the european 3x 25amp schematics to attach it to the fuse box in my house.

I have all the materials but no time.
I hope tomorrow i can start on pouring the yellow bag of concrete.

IMG_0231 (resized).JPGIMG_0231 (resized).JPG

IMG_0233 (resized).JPGIMG_0233 (resized).JPG

IMG_0242 (resized).JPGIMG_0242 (resized).JPG

#832 6 years ago

Nice! I just scored my car and got it last week. 2015 P90D with only 6k miles. Bought it from a dealer for $86,000 delivered to me from Michigan! Original sticker was $142,000! Have it charging right now for my first time at a supercharger. Having a beer while I wait. I have to get another electrical line ran to my garage so I’m stuck with either supercharging or my 110v at home which isn’t bad but just can’t keep up with my driving habits. Should be a week or two until I’m up and running for good home charging.

This car is freaking amazing! My purchase had nothing to do with going greens and everything about the driving experience which is off the charts. I definitely see this being the future and my wife already is ready to buy a model x but we’re about 5 years out from no longer needing the Yukon xl.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

629F5FA9-57A4-4883-95E9-53F8943DF412 (resized).jpeg629F5FA9-57A4-4883-95E9-53F8943DF412 (resized).jpeg

#833 6 years ago

I really am amazed at all the low mileage single owner Teslas popping up lately. You would think they wouldn't lose 50% of their value in 2 years being so desirable and low maintenance.

#834 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I ordered a 2014 CPO from Tesla a few weeks ago. It's a P85+. Original sticker was $135k. I snagged it for $55 with a fresh new warranty from Tesla and fully refurbished. Can't wait to get it in a couple weeks.

#835 6 years ago

Fantastic deal. Congrats.

#836 6 years ago

Well, if you weren't watching the semi reveal, the future of goods transportation just changed.

And those that want a fun sportscar? 3 years, and then... holy. crap.

#837 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Well, if you weren't watching the semi reveal, the future of goods transportation just changed.

No kidding.. wish I would have bought a few shares, it's going to pop tomorrow.

Center driver seat, all the aftermarket accessories every trucker has to buy already included
0-60 in 5 seconds (no load)
0-60 with maximum 80,000lb load = 20 seconds
Able to go 65mph on 5% grade hill (get the goods there faster)
500 mile range
400 mile recharge in 30 minutes
more aerodynamic than a bugatti veyron
Very few parts to fail, especially brakes

There ARE 4-5 other companies working on electric trucks, it's all going to come down to first to market. Reducing transportation costs is going to be a huge business.

#838 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

No kidding.. wish I would have bought a few shares, it's going to pop tomorrow.
Center driver seat, all the aftermarket accessories every trucker has to buy already included
0-60 in 5 seconds (no load)
0-60 with maximum 80,000lb load = 20 seconds
Able to go 65mph on 5% grade hill (get the goods there faster)
500 mile range
400 mile recharge in 30 minutes
more aerodynamic than a bugatti veyron
Very few parts to fail, especially brakes
There ARE 4-5 other companies working on electric trucks, it's all going to come down to first to market. Reducing transportation costs is going to be a huge business.

While this was amazing, the Roadster reveal was equally insane.

0-60 under 2 seconds, quarter mile in under 10 seconds, 600+ mile range... $200,000 base price?!? Porsche and Ferrari have to be absolutely terrified right now. It's going to be faster than cars with price tags of over $1 million.

#839 6 years ago

holy crap. both the Semi and Roadster sound like absolute game-changers. for the roadster, 250+ top speed, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds ... with 600 mile range?! and the semi will get 500 miles per charge and capable of leading autonomous convoys (and also be far quicker and more powerful than current diesels, allowing it to "better integrate with car traffic"). the cabin of the semi looks incredible. center seat, two huge screens.

636464802966943453-Semi-Interior-Command (resized).jpg636464802966943453-Semi-Interior-Command (resized).jpg

#840 6 years ago

Yeah. Friggin' crazy! The roadster not only hits 60 in 1.9 but it will hit 100mph in a little over 4 seconds with a 1/4 mile flying by in under 9 seconds. I just need to get kids through college and look at buying a used one in 8 years

After owning my P90D for a week I'm still blown away by the electric motor and the overall experience of driving this car. I've owned some fairly nice vehicles and this is by far my favorite. I can easily see electric making ICE obsolete over time - especially if vehicles start getting 500 miles/charge!

#841 6 years ago

Does anyone know if Tesla started implementing nanotube electrodes in their batteries? This allows the electrodes to branch out like trees on the microscopic level and transfer exponentially more current to and from the battery due to increased surface area vs. a flat electrode.

#842 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Does anyone know if Tesla started implementing nanotube electrodes in their batteries? This allows the electrodes to branch out like trees on the microscopic level and transfer exponentially more current to and from the battery due to increased surface area vs. a flat electrode.

I have no idea, but it's struck me today how that new Roadster can't have a standard battery pack in it at its size. They had said before that the Model 3 can only fit about a 75 kwh battery (which it's apparently slightly larger), but the new Roadster looks smaller or at the largest equal to the 3, and it fits a 200 kwh battery?

And the truck, if it can go 500 miles, that's probably around a 500kwh battery. Recharging 400 miles in 30 minutes is an 800kwh charger.

So there must be some sort of sorcery going on here. I love it.

I also love how so many people said the truck was impossible. Yet there it is. Heck, I found an article about it today that basically said that Tesla must be flat out lying about the specs because that's impossible and no one believes it.

I do. I think some breakthrough has happened.

Now, let's get the Model 3s rolling out, and see where this future takes us.

In other related news, Norway's sovereign wealth fund is going to divest in all oil stocks. And they aren't doing it because of the environment, just the economics.

Crazy.

#843 6 years ago

Regarding oil, Saudi Arabia is going to bring its oil company public at projected $2 Trillion that’s more than Facebook, Google and Amazon combined.

If oil was nearly over the Saudi company would not be worth $2 Trillion. It’s selling on future sales projections.

I’m sure if Saudi predicts oil to be more valuable in the future they would not be trying to wean off the petroleum dollars, I think it’s going to be a long time before oil is no longer needed.

For 2016, the IEA Oil Market Report forecasts worldwide average demand of nearly 96 million barrels of oil and liquid fuels per day – that works out to more than 35 billion barrels a year

#844 6 years ago

#845 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Regarding oil, Saudi Arabia is going to bring its oil company public at projected $2 Trillion that’s more than Facebook, Google and Amazon combined.
If oil was nearly over the Saudi company would not be worth $2 Trillion. It’s selling on future sales projections.
I’m sure if Saudi predicts oil to be more valuable in the future they would not be trying to wean off the petroleum dollars, I think it’s going to be a long time before oil is no longer needed.

Or, if you're cynical you might ask why are they taking their company public now if not to cash in on a couple trillion of foreign investment? Follow the money, I say.

#846 6 years ago

There was a post way back about how to unlock the doors when you are inside. You have to push the park button /twice/. The first push just puts the car in park but doesn't unlock the doors for driver safety. The second push unlocks the doors, or as Tesla says: "presents the handles." I love doing that when picking people up just as they walk out, especially at night when the handle lights come on as the door handles smoothly extend. The look on people's faces is priceless.

#847 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Or, if you're cynical you might ask why are they taking their company public now if not to cash in on a couple trillion of foreign investment? Follow the money, I say.

What I’m saying is oil is still big business, if Saudi oil company is worth $2 Trillion that means there’s plans for oil to be sold far into the future.

I agree that it’s not as bright as was 30 years ago but still life left in oil and ICE cars.

I will agree that Saudi is planning for the future when oil is not as big a deal and is cashing out while it’s still a viable concern.

Interesting article about Norway pension fund and Saudi oil IPO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/amp/articles/2017-11-16/norway-sovereign-wealth-fund-sells-oil-and-gas-stocks

#848 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Yeah, and that's what I tend to think. China, India, and multiple European countries are planning on eliminating gas car sales in the next 15-25 years. The price of running electric right now, with little competition and little investment so far, is already far cheaper than running gas.

In the history of transportation, the unveil of the Tesla Semi I think may have actually been the biggest turning point so far. Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world to sustainable energy, and that's why they unveiled it now, two years before it's on sale - because they just put *everyone* else on notice that they either innovate or they will quickly find themselves out of the market.

Musk pointed out last night that the Semi will be cheaper to operate than a diesel semi by 20% in poor conditions. He then noted that with the convoy technology, they will be cheaper to operate than trains.

Why did he say this? I'm of the belief that he did so to get other truck companies to feel that they need to change over sooner than later, and to encourage the development of fully electric trains which would completely beat the Tesla semi... if they do it. If not, they deserve whatever comes of them.

Look, the people who spend money on this stuff are going to look at the bottom line. If the new truck is cheaper, they are going to use it. I read an article today that suggested that in 2019, the projection is that the demand for electric trucks would be something like 5000 trucks, and that would swell to something like 40,000 trucks in 2025. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like that.

If 5000 trucks come off the line in 2019, and those trucks prove to be everything they are said to be, why wouldn't ALL trucks that are new in 2025 be electric? To me, it makes little sense. If you want electric, you'll need to buy one. If you want diesel, there will be companies retiring their diesel line ups way early thanks to the economics of operating the other truck, so you can get one of those.

The home market will take a lot longer to fully shift, but I expect this particular transition to be insanely fast. Plaid, even.

Quoted from rai:

Norway as a country has oil deposits that are in many ways similar to the Saudi nations. I'm partially Norwegian, and I actually know my relations in Norway. One of whom was a high up at an oil company over there. Norway has been transitioning rapidly away from oil.

Oil will still be needed for a time, but there is no upside for it. As usage falls, stations aren't set up to sell 10% less of it. Which will lead to gas stations going out of business, and if half the gas stations go out of business, it's going to get more annoying to run a gas vehicle, which will push more conversions. And, as I think I pointed out before on here, gas has NO ability to compete on cost. You can't make gas cheap enough for it to beat electricity, and you can do things like solar that make electricity even cheaper.

Things are moving quickly. I mean, heck - I LOVE this article. Five months ago, Carneige Mellon University researchers found that a semi would be limited to a 300 mile range, cost a fortune and offer limited capacities.

https://www.wired.com/2017/06/elon-musk-tesla-semi-truck-battery/

If really smart people are THAT far off on what is possible just a few months ago, imagine how far gas companies who don't directly study it are off in their estimates?

#849 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Look, the people who spend money on this stuff are going to look at the bottom line. If the new truck is cheaper, they are going to use it. I read an article today that suggested that in 2019, the projection is that the demand for electric trucks would be something like 5000 trucks, and that would swell to something like 40,000 trucks in 2025. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like that.

It is almost entirely about the bottom line.

I was thinking about one other leverage point: marketing. Businesses, particularly local ones are always looking for ways to differentiate. Splashing your logo across a stunning vehicle like this is going to turn heads and cause a lot of social media tweets/snaps/instas. Heck, people still come up to me and talk about my Tesla and it's five years old (just happened again tonight)! And after that first 'feel good' wave the smart players got to ride passes, corporate green teams will be clamoring to replace diesels and have sound economic arguments to boot.

I can't wait to organize petitions to drive all the local supermarkets to Tesla trucks where I live. Total game changer.

#850 6 years ago

Okay,i am done with running an extension cord to my shed,i have everything i need to run a fat cable under my house and make a cool tesla charging station in my driveway!
I use the bbq lid to keep rain away from my charger

IMG_0588 (resized).JPGIMG_0588 (resized).JPG
IMG_0589 (resized).JPGIMG_0589 (resized).JPG

There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.