• Hard to part with fossil fuel 13 votes
    4%
  • I don't care about my carbon footprint 77 votes
    22%
  • No 138 votes
    39%

(354 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 310 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Used-2008-Tesla-Roadster-VERY-RARE-EXAMPLE-1-OF-2450 (1) (resized).jpg
truckla (resized).png
Windshield Crack 2 (resized).jpg
Windshield Crack 1 (resized).jpg
694B5F2C-8706-4CC9-BCDE-DACC5117CC5D (resized).jpeg
teslaorangepeel (resized).PNG
20190502_082736 (resized).jpg
20190502_082742 (resized).jpg
20190502_082723 (resized).jpg
BDD87E10-BCD9-4ED9-B9E8-6D1B54409F7E (resized).jpeg
C354352D-295A-42FF-A9BA-E34AF0780E0D (resized).jpeg
8ADA75C6-96F8-48B4-A309-53A6FFA229CD (resized).jpeg
thumbnail (resized).jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpg
IMG_5105 (resized).jpg
IMG_5104 (resized).jpg

There are 2926 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 59.
#551 2 years ago

what will wait times be to recharge these cars once they start being produced in mass?

#552 2 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

what will wait times be to recharge these cars once they start being produced in mass?

Zero if you charge overnight at home like most owners.

#553 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I understand that, but just thinking about that trip to vegas (or wherever) that requires a common stop point

#554 2 years ago

for 99% of your drives, you will never have to think about charging it (unlike how every 15 drives or so, you have to stop and refuel your gas car). for that other 1%, sure, there's a chance you might have to wait a bit if Tesla fails to expand their superchargers in proportion with their sales.

there have been long lines in the past, when stations had breakdowns or technical difficulties. Tesla has implemented "idle fees" to encourage owners to move their cars as soon as they're done charging. they've also announced they are doubling the number of superchargers by the end of this year. hopefully they continue to expand like that.

#555 2 years ago

I believe the charge rate is 80% in 40 minutes.

However, the battery in the Model 3 is new, and since nothing has been confirmed it's possible that it can charge quicker.

We don't know yet.

Quoted from TZBen:

understand that, but just thinking about that trip to vegas (or wherever) that requires a common stop point

#556 2 years ago

ah i assumed he meant wait time as in long lines, not how long it takes to charge. my mistake.

#557 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I have a house with a garage that has a dedicated electric car charging breaker that I built in. How many people can really say the same? Lots of my friends live in apartment complexes, or park on city streets or their garages are too full of junk to park a car in (LOL). Point is that as electric cars inevitably get more popular, the people buying them more and more won't be rich people who have garages. More and more people will rely on others to charge their cars.
In a way this is good because cities will be able to make even more revenue from parking meters if they can charge your car. Same with parking garages. Really any business with a parking lot might be able to monetize charging.

#558 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

no chance. Prior to Tesla, the auto industry's only interest in electric cars was in trying to prove they were infeasible, and making them as unappealing as possible. If not for Tesla, the industry would have stayed committed to gasoline forever. They are now desperate to catch up, but in my opinion it's too late. Tesla has a ten-year head start, an actual existing huge supercharger network (not just "plans to build"), a loyal customer base, and a badge that is highly desirable. Plus, Tesla has reached a point where their pockets are as deep or deeper than the other players in the industry. There was a time when automakers, if they had jumped fast enough, could have eaten Tesla's lunch, but that time has passed.
they dragged their feet for too long. Musk has accumulated an absurd amount of vertical integration and manufacturing capability, and has virtually unlimited capital at his disposal now. he's no longer crushable through sheer force of money-pouring. if they had gotten off their ass in 2010, sure, but now it's too late, even taking their eternal annual promises of "our Tesla killer is only two years away!" at face value this time.

I totally disagree.

I realize I'm walking into the fan but IMO, Elon Musk is nothing but a snake oil salesman. Tesla's two major manufacturing centers were gifted to Tesla. IMO, what Nevada did is downright insane. Yet with all that, Tesla auto manufacturing has yet to turn a real profit. There is dispute on how they lose per unit but there is no doubt, sales are dependent upon government incentives. And now while they are touting this latest model, they fully admit they are going to skip a level of development. IOW, again, IMO they are going to use early customers as guinea pigs. And that's not they only IMO stupid move by this crazy company, this new model is going into the one segment of the market where the demand is the lowest and the segment is shrinking. Compacts aren't exactly a cash cow for any of the manufacturers and the 3 is a compact in every sense of the word. And even at that, Tesla admits they should be in the hot segment, IOW, CUV or SUV vehicles. So that's where they are going next while using just about none of the parts they just "developed".

And even with all that, the gorilla in the room is that unless things change, Tesla is getting close to the point where fuel economy incentives will run out. Of course states can write their own but after a certain amount of production, federal incentives will go away.

Yes the high end Teslas are interesting cars but truth is, it's off the shelf parts and in some cases "borrowed" technology. Don't kid yourself, look under a Tesla and consider how a Lotus Elise is built. IOW, Tesla didn't invent the concept, just "borrowed" it instead.

Throw all the rocks at me you want. But to make the statement that the big companies didn't research or develop this stuff is a bunch of nonsense. Again, just my opinion but I can see how this whole company could collapse. The stock values are insane at best. The board acts in it's own interest and again IMO, Musk is a con artist.

#559 2 years ago

i think it's a situation that will only be a problem in the short term. transporting electrons around the country is fundamentally a hell of a lot easier, logistically, than transporting gasoline, and installing an electron pump is similarly way easier than installing a gas pump.

#560 2 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

I realize I'm walking into the fan but IMO, Elon Musk is nothing but a snake oil salesman.

Well, snake oil salesmen sell products that don't work. As an owner of a Model S, I can assure you emphatically that the car is not snake oil. It's by far the best car I've ever owned. Whether the company makes it long term we can disagree on, but the car itself is fantastic. The Model S was Motor Trend Car of the Year a few years back, and has the highest customer satisfaction rating Consumer Reports has ever recorded.

https://electrek.co/2016/12/22/tesla-consumer-reports-owner-satisfaction-ranking/

Yes the high end Teslas are interesting cars but truth is, it's off the shelf parts and in some cases "borrowed" technology. Don't kid yourself, look under a Tesla and consider how a Lotus Elise is built.

Hmm, your info might be a bit out of date. It's true of the Roadster was basically a repurposed Lotus, but it's absolutely false in terms of the Model S, or the upcoming Model 3. It's pretty much home-grown tech for everything except the tires on those cars.

Throw all the rocks at me you want. But to make the statement that the big companies didn't research or develop this stuff is a bunch of nonsense.

I don't think I'm throwing rocks when I say left to their own devices, Detroit would have never in a million years developed a car like the Model S, or the Model 3 for that matter. They're finally investing in electric tech for real only because Tesla has now proven that it's possible to make a good all-electric car. Maybe you're right and Tesla will collapse because of better all-electric offerings from other manufacturers. I don't think it'll happen, but sure, it's possible. Either way, the ONLY reason any of these companies are taking electric cars seriously is because of Tesla / Elon Musk.

#561 2 years ago

Been lurking this thread for a while. Very interesting read and certainly has sparked an interest in Tesla. I have one buddy who has a Tesla and likes it a lot. My oldest son turns 16 next year and I will probably give him my 2011 Land Rover LR4 (WAY better than my first car which was a Pontiac J2000 wagon!) and will be in the market for a new vehicle. I will seriously consider Tesla. Even now there are plenty of P90D's used within a couple hundred miles of me for in the $90-100k range which, though high, is much better for me than $150k which I would not spend on any vehicle at this point in my life. I'm hoping that those come down a little more or the P100D's are more affordable a year from now.

Certainly is an interesting time. I can tell you that stuff I do every day at work was pure science fiction just 50 years ago. I think it is very feasible that within my lifetime (age 49) I see a time where the vast majority of vehicles are, in fact, electric. It is simply how technology is exponentially expanding.

#562 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

transporting electrons around the country is fundamentally a hell of a lot easier, logistically, than transporting gasoline, and installing an electron pump is similarly way easier than installing a gas pump

Also electricity is renewable, gasoline is limited by how much oil is left under the crust. We're just so used to having such a large supply we never think about it. Also since Arab countries currently supply roughly half our oil, they can greatly effect prices. Soon as you are no longer dependent on a supplier (See dutch pinball at the mercy of the contract manufacturer), you no longer have to put up with fluctuations in fuel.

#563 2 years ago

I totally disagree.
I realize I'm walking into the fan but IMO, Elon Musk is nothing but a snake oil salesman. Tesla's two major manufacturing centers were gifted to Tesla. IMO, what Nevada did is downright insane. Yet with all that, Tesla auto manufacturing has yet to turn a real profit. There is dispute on how they lose per unit but there is no doubt, sales are dependent upon government incentives. And now while they are touting this latest model, they fully admit they are going to skip a level of development. IOW, again, IMO they are going to use early customers as guinea pigs. And that's not they only IMO stupid move by this crazy company, this new model is going into the one segment of the market where the demand is the lowest and the segment is shrinking. Compacts aren't exactly a cash cow for any of the manufacturers and the 3 is a compact in every sense of the word. And even at that, Tesla admits they should be in the hot segment, IOW, CUV or SUV vehicles. So that's where they are going next while using just about none of the parts they just "developed".
And even with all that, the gorilla in the room is that unless things change, Tesla is getting close to the point where fuel economy incentives will run out. Of course states can write their own but after a certain amount of production, federal incentives will go away.
Yes the high end Teslas are interesting cars but truth is, it's off the shelf parts and in some cases "borrowed" technology. Don't kid yourself, look under a Tesla and consider how a Lotus Elise is built. IOW, Tesla didn't invent the concept, just "borrowed" it instead.
Throw all the rocks at me you want. But to make the statement that the big companies didn't research or develop this stuff is a bunch of nonsense. Again, just my opinion but I can see how this whole company could collapse. The stock values are insane at best. The board acts in it's own interest and again IMO, Musk is a con artist.

I get where you are coming from, but saying Musk is a snake-oil salesman is just like saying Bezos is as well. They are using a very similar business model - they aren't primarily concerned about profits. It's smart - because once you get concerned about profits, it's all about "this year has to be better than the next" to please investors. Make 30% profit this year, next year has to be 35% or it's a failure. Make $10 billion this year, you'd better make $12 billion next year.

It's all in the long game, and smartly so. Amazon didn't become what it is today by focusing on how much profit they can get on their bottom line every year - if they did, they probably wouldn't even be around right now as they would have been eventually crushed.

And as another poster said - snake-oil salesman implies you are selling a product that doesn't do what it's sold to do. Elon built a car that somehow, in very close to their first effort, surpassed the ratings of every other car manufacturer. That's incredible - decades and billions of dollars in research from all the major car companies, and they allow a scratch-company to come up and build a car that gets the highest review ever obtained. That's just nuts when you think about it.

And I do agree with the original post - all the other car companies were simply too afraid to make the switch. Way too much pressure from the gas/oil industry. I guarantee you there were a lot of back-room deals going on to suppress any switch to electric over the years. Not to mention oil prices - ever since Tesla got serious, oil prices have never gone back up. Coincidence? Certainly not - the countries that export the oil know what is at stake. Oil prices go up - even better for Tesla and electric vehicles overall. That's why gas prices have never gone back up to what they were a few years back when it was a "crisis".

But electric just makes sense - it's such a simple machine compared to a gas engine. It should have been done a long, long time ago. The only obstacle was simply battery life. Figure out battery life - and you have a much simpler engine (if you can call it that), much more reliable, WAY more convenient in terms of going to the gas station, and to top it off - they're even fast!

#564 2 years ago

to be completely honest, 90% of drives in the US are for commutes along ludicrously well-travelled roads -- those kinds of trips have no business whatsoever carrying a huge energy storage tank along with them, be it battery or gas tank. someday we'll get to a point where all but the most rural transportation gets its energy from the road itself as it travels, and the energy cost of moving a person around will plummet exponentially. but for now the Tesla is a brilliant successor to the dirty, inefficient, and incredibly over-complicated internal combustion engine.

#565 2 years ago

I totally disagree.

Unless you want your great grand kids to live in some sort of Mad Max kind of world, someone needs to do something. I'd much rather have the government throw money at something like this than the wasteful spending on complete shit that is in place now. Education, space exploration and alternative energy should be top priorities if we are going to exist in 1,000 years... Imagine what we could come up with next if every kid in the world had access to a top notch education. Ignorance is not bliss.

We need more companies taking risks on technology like this.

#567 2 years ago

Meh. I think this is just media moving the market, and fear mongering. It is inevitable.

Take a close look at years of Apple being judged, the sharp freak-out dips, and then the recovery. If you have the balls to hold on, you'll be reaping the gains.

Full disclosure ...I have a large position in Tesla, and I'll admit to being a fanboy. I was a fanboy for Apple too in 2008. When it bottomed I bought in big. With the iPhone on its way to market, and for the years that followed I laughed my ass off at those idiots that predicted a downfall ... one that never came.

#570 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

BFD stocks go up and down. do you have a point to make?

haha this is what I almost posted..."OMG stocks are down!!!! Oh wait they're back up!!!!"

But please Pez back to my pick-up truck question...?

#571 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

BFD stocks go up and down. do you have a point to make?

The point is obvious! You guys believe in them blindly, so now is time to buy in a little more stock while it is in a dip. Personally I am holding at this point and not buying or selling.

#572 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The point is obvious! You guys believe in them blindly, so now is time to buy in a little more stock while it is in a dip. Personally I am holding at this point and not buying or selling.

I mean ... the IPO was at like $15 a share. It's around $300 right now. I'm not really worried about weekly fluctuations.

#573 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

haha this is what I almost posted..."OMG stocks are down!!!! Oh wait they're back up!!!!"
But please Pez back to my pick-up truck question...?

i know a pickup truck is in their plans, but I think it's still 2 cars away. i think a crossover vehicle is next after the 3.

#575 2 years ago

Pretty much the only people not up on Tesla stock are the people who don't have Tesla stock.

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

And yet Im still up 18% on my tesla stock. This just makes me want to buy more!

#576 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i know a pickup truck is in their plans, but I think it's still 2 cars away. i think a crossover vehicle is next after the 3.

I think the "Master Plan" said the Model Y small SUV will be the next vehicle (aside from the Tesla Semi which will be unveiled in September). So Tesla will have the completed S-3-X-Y ("SEXY") lineup. I suspect the Y will be announced in the next 3-4 months, but that's purely a guess .... get the 3 rolling out the door, and then line up the next buyers for Y.

Based on the unofficial delivery estimator I'll have my 3 in November.

For all you Pinside Tesla investors and fanboys I'll say this now ... if our bet pays off I'll have a party at my place in Northern NJ for us to celebrate. Let's say when my first million rolls in I'll send out invites.

#577 2 years ago

The model Y was already teased last month, along with the Tesla Semi...
https://electrek.co/2017/06/06/tesla-model-y-teaser/

2 weeks later
#578 2 years ago

My first supercharger sighting in the wild!
( germany,on my way back from holiday)
A model X sucking some juice..
Beautiful machines..

IMG_7659 (resized).JPG

#579 2 years ago

Tomorrow is the BIG EVENT!!!

#580 2 years ago

LOL Doubt it'll be a big event. More or less another photo shoot session. Highly doubt there will be any real info provided (exmpl. All options, and pricing of everything). Prove me wrong Tesla, I dare ya.

#581 2 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Tomorrow is the BIG EVENT!!!

Yeeees!!
Finally!!
28th of july is gonna be epic man!!

#582 2 years ago

<blockquote says pez "
Actually, Tesla receives exactly zero money from the Federal government. they took out a $465 million loan (a loan, not a subsidy) years ago, but they paid it back in 2013 - 9 years ahead of schedule. And they do benefit from some subsidies in certain states -- Nevada, for example, gave them a lot of money to build their Gigafactory there."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story,amp.html

#583 2 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

LOL Doubt it'll be a big event.

What's your basis for comparison?

#584 2 years ago

Love my Model S P90DL. Put down that deposit for my GF's model 3 back in April 2016.

#585 2 years ago

Lol you want to whine about subsidies?

In 2016, the three largest fossil fuel subsidies were:
Foreign tax credit ($15.3 billion)
Credit for production of non-conventional fuels ($14.1 billion)
Oil and Gas exploration and development expense ($7.1 billion).

Where is your free market god now?

#586 2 years ago

I assume everyone has seen this video this week? I love how pissed off the one guy gets at 4:15

#587 2 years ago

Love my Model X. I recently took a trip from Lansing to Chicago and back. About 250 miles each way. Easy, just charged once on the way 15-20 minutes.. then the hotel had a charger. Autopilot helps too

#588 2 years ago

Took my P100D here to pinburgh. Find me if you want a ride. .

Trip was about 275 miles. I charged up just outside of town so I'd have enough to make the trip home without stopping.

#589 2 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

LOL Doubt it'll be a big event. More or less another photo shoot session. Highly doubt there will be any real info provided (exmpl. All options, and pricing of everything). Prove me wrong Tesla, I dare ya.

Well they proved you wrong -- options and pricing were revealed. By the way, the first Model 3s will have over 300 miles of range.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2017/07/29/tesla-model-3-production-specs-revealed/amp/

#590 2 years ago

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/amp/

Long range battery option puts it at 310 miles. Enhanced autopilot option, full self driving option, panoramic roof, 19" wheels, premium bundle. Yep, I'll take them all...

#591 2 years ago

Incoming...

IMG_0633 (resized).PNG

#592 2 years ago

IMG_0634 (resized).PNG

#594 2 years ago

Do you own a Model S? Or are you an employee? I signed up on day one, and nothing.

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Do you own a Model S? Or are you an employee? I signed up on day one, and nothing.

I'm not an employee or Model S owner. I'm a day one preorder on the east coast, first to complete his order at the Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus, New Jersey.

I was fifth in line ... but the first four gents were quite chatty with the sales reps ... I walked in, handled my rep a card and had the reserve done in about 90 seconds.

I walked out of the store greeted by ~50 people cheering for what we were all a part of. I put half my retirement funds into Tesla about 2 minutes after...

#596 2 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I'm not an employee or Model S owner. I'm a day one preorder on the east coast, first to complete his order at the Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus, New Jersey.
I was fifth in line ... but the first four gents were quite chatty with the sales reps ... I walked in, handled my rep a card and had the reserve done in about 90 seconds.
I walked out of the store greeted by ~50 people cheering for what we were all a part of. I put half my retirement funds into Tesla about 2 minutes after...

Cool story,congrats!
I noticed they were taking pre orders,ran to my local Tesla store with my credit card only to find out i was pre order number 379.415...(something like that)
But on the upside,i am buying the dual motor / long range pack.
I have another year to save money for my fully loaded ludicrous model 3.

#597 2 years ago

I laugh when I read the articles that come out daily saying Tesla is doomed because Chevy / Volvo / BMW put out a press release saying they're gonna make electric cars someday too. I'd love to see those manufacturers generate even a fraction of the enthusiasm, excitement, and desire Tesla has with the Model 3.

Not to mention the fact that Tesla's cars -- and their charging stations and battery factories --actually exist.

#598 2 years ago

I'd rather be in the Tesla model 3

#599 2 years ago

The configurator...

IMG_0635 (resized).PNG

IMG_0640 (resized).PNG

IMG_0636 (resized).PNG

IMG_0641 (resized).PNG

IMG_0642 (resized).PNG

IMG_0639 (resized).PNG

#600 2 years ago

Electric cars with the current battery technology are a ridiculous idea. The raw materials exit in far away places (like China) in homeopathic concentrations. That requires a lot of ground to be moved and poisoned with toxic chemicals to extract those raw materials. You can drive your gasoline powered car for 4 year before you emit the CO2 that was produced during battery production alone. Then the production of the electricity releases more CO2. US electricity production:
Natural gas = 33.8%
Coal = 30.4%
Nuclear = 19.7%
Renewables (total) = 14.9%
Other = 1.2%
So 64.2% of electricity is produced from fossil fuels to begin with. Then you have the loss in transmission, charging and discharging which looses more energy. So it's actually more efficient to burn the gasoline directly.
Unless there are :
a. significant advances in clean energy production
b. significant advances in battery technology
Electric only cars are a ridiculous idea. It's seems more like a religion than a viable engineering concept. Hybrids, that have a much smaller battery, that recover kinetic energy are currently the most efficient transportation.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 248.85
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 269.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 2926 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 59.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside