Screenshot_20230728_124324_Twitter (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230728_124244_Twitter (resized).jpg
1E4ADAFA-E4C9-4CAE-A461-F715F777968D (resized).jpeg
096FC4F3-4710-48CC-A852-328EDA938C5F (resized).jpeg
F3E7C75B-0774-4FE2-8E8A-BE832936A5F3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5750 (resized).jpg
9CB9C1A8-D094-47BB-AE6C-98755416E0E7 (resized).jpeg
46AC7FA8-3206-49E4-9E11-0DC81D627AC0 (resized).jpeg

There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 67.
#1 6 years ago

Hey everybody,
I am totally in on the Tesla model 3,blown away by Tesla in general..
My large property counts 49 solar panels( i know...the last one did not fit...the number is all wrong now )and it's time to put that to use.
I make way more power than my household demands so i can charge a Tesla at no cost.
Over here teslas are free from road tax so all you need is an insurance?
The new model 3 starts at $35.000 which is a steal?
Autopilot and supercharging come standard on all models?
In western europe we are runner up after usa with the amount of superchargers,so you can go on vacation with your tesla too nowerdays?!
Electric cars used to be slow and ugly,but Elon Musk made them fast and sexy.
Above all benefits,it would be nice if my kids can breathe 02 outside in the future instead of 02 out of a can.
Don't get me wrong,i owned about 15 detroit iron v8 muscle cars through the years and i loved them all but i feel like a movement is on the rise..
Who's in?

IMG_3998 (resized).PNGIMG_3998 (resized).PNG

IMG_4001 (resized).PNGIMG_4001 (resized).PNG

IMG_3999 (resized).PNGIMG_3999 (resized).PNG

IMG_4002 (resized).PNGIMG_4002 (resized).PNG

#2 6 years ago

To give you an idea,superchargers usa on the left.
Superchargers western Europe on the right.
Funny thing: russia has 1 supercharger in moskou.(red dot on the outer right)

IMG_4003 (resized).PNGIMG_4003 (resized).PNG

#3 6 years ago

35K would be pretty awesome for sure. Down the road I could see getting one..and we have a Supercharger in my town.

#4 6 years ago

I move back to the US summer of 2018 and I'll need to buy a car. Unfortunately any car I buy needs to meet some requirements. Needs to get good reviews, be available for purchase in a reasonable time(1-2months) and needs to have enough charging stations in my area. As soon at the Tessa model 3 meets all these requirements I'm in.

#5 6 years ago

Tesla loses $19K per vehicle sold. With BMW and Mercedes coming to market with cool stuff they may have tough times ahead. I don't want to subsidize anybody car or roof solar panels.

#6 6 years ago

My Parents are in on one. We bought my dad a P85 for his birthday a couple years ago. It is by far his favorite possession. I was hoping he would grow tired of it and sell it to me cheap but he has put so many miles on it, I don't even know if I would want it. They put the money down on the 3 as soon as deposits were available.

Tesla has certainly created some loyalists!!

#7 6 years ago

Well 400.000 pre orders says a lot about the faith in Tesla(nobody has driven one/0 reviews to date)
Does it say something about the change of direction people want on this planet?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Does it say something about the change of direction people want on this planet?

Hmmm....well the misinformation that "electric cars are so good for the environment" I'm sure has a ton to do with it...but also it's 'new' tech and people aren't afraid of new tech these days.

#9 6 years ago

Autopilot hardware comes standard, but you have to pay to unlock the ability to use it, so you'll have to pay to play.

I'm in on one currently, but have to see some more details. The interior is still a mystery and so is the pricing and performance of the vehicle.

Testa doesn't lose money on the vehicles it sells, and they are better for the environment overall compared to ICE vehicles. But, yes, there is a lot of DISINFORMATION out there.

#10 6 years ago

I voted for "I don't care about my carbon footprint" because-

I don't care if people get fooled into thinking they are doing something good for the environment by driving electric cars that contain mega caustic battery packs and run on electricity that in some parts of the country is generated by burning coal.

#11 6 years ago

I would buy one but have no illusions I'm putting a dent in the environment. I suspect they are only very slightly better than what we have now. All that electricity isn't made of rainbows and unicorn farts. The vast majority is made from coal. I would be in on one for the tech and the tech alone.

#12 6 years ago

I would be interested but they either need way more range or way more charging stations.

I drive up to 500 miles in one day. Currently there are ZERO charging stations on ANY of my routes.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I voted for "I don't care about my carbon footprint" because-

I went "Hard to part with fossil fuel" Because my car is new, and I like it, and the way it sounds etc.
I'll jump in down the road when they have it worked out more. The "Driverless" angle only works well for drinking and i don;t need any help drinking more.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I went "Hard to part with fossil fuel"

The poll really should have included-

"If you want to do something good for the environment, stop buying cars and quit driving altogether"

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The poll really should have included-
"If you want to do something good for the environment, stop buying cars and quit driving altogether"

.......and you want our economy to come to a grinding halt.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

.......and you want our economy to come to a grinding halt.

Not necessarily, although it wouldn't bother me much.

But statements like "I don't care about my carbon footprint" in regards to somebody that chooses not to buy a brand new $35,000 car, instead of deciding not to drive at all or as little as possible seems kind of silly to me.

#17 6 years ago

I have a deposit on one... not because I think I'm saving the environment or any BS like that, but simply because electric motors make for WAY better cars. They are essentially silent and have loads of torque. I also can't wait to have autopilot.

#18 6 years ago

I'm certainly interested and have considered placing a deposit. However my current car is a 2015 Mazda3 and gets great gas mileage and cost $21K. Not burning fuel would be nice but it won't save me any money even over a long period of time compared to my Mazda3 and the enormous battery has its own environmental implications which most of us probably don't fully comprehend. Still, I'm an electrical engineer by degree so I can't help but be intrigued. Now, if I was going to purchase a $35k vehicle no matter what, then it makes more sense financially.

#19 6 years ago

I ordered (reserved) one on the first day. I can't wait!

#20 6 years ago

Tesla capital raise bonds are paying over 6%. That is junk status and extremely ominous regarding their financial health and staying power. I honestly do not believe they will be able to continue as an independent, ongoing concern 2 years from now. I own a P85D, but because I am so concerned about their solvency, I'm going to sell it - while the gettin (out) is good!

#21 6 years ago

Teslas are popular first and foremose because they are highly appointed and fun to drive. The 2017 P100D is the fastest production car on the market off the line (reaching 30, 40, 50, 60mph and the 1/4 mile). The secondary attraction is it's electric.

Is it better for the environment? Maybe... the primary advantage of an electric vehicle is that it's not dependent on any particular fuel like an ICE, meaning it can be charged with gasoline, diesel, solar, coal, wind, nuclear, fuel cell, propane, gas venting, water, etc, with new power sources being developed all the time, some more environmentally friendly than others, and some less costly than others.

Thirdly is its autopilot features, which so far have been proven to be better (safer) than human drivers. Each of these features can be found elsewhere, but Tesla puts them all in one vehicle.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

meaning it can be charged with gasoline, diesel, solar, coal, wind, nuclear, fuel cell, propane, gas venting, water, etc,

I'm slapping one of these bad boys on my ride.

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

When I first saw the call for $1K deposits I immediately thought of JPOP. No preorders anymore.

I read a lot of automotive news, and there is a lot of talk that a high volume vehicle with low profit might just be the end of Tesla. This is especially true when the big car companies actually start competing. You can get a Bolt right now. Yes, it is not as styled, but it isn't a promise that it might be built in one, two, three years; take your choice.

#24 6 years ago

imperial orchid (resized).jpgimperial orchid (resized).jpgimperial orchid3 (resized).jpgimperial orchid3 (resized).jpgimperial orchid4 (resized).jpgimperial orchid4 (resized).jpgimperial orchid2 (resized).jpgimperial orchid2 (resized).jpg

here are some pics of my Tesla Model S P100D. so far, i rate the ownership experience as a 100/100 and cannot imagine going back to internal combustion. yeah, the environmental concerns are nice, but honestly even if you don't care about that, the car is simply superior to a gas vehicle in a lot of practical ways that make driving it much easier and more enjoyable than anything i've ever driven.

i'm happy to answer any questions about ownership (and clear up any misconceptions or misinformation).

Autopilot and supercharging come standard on all models?

all Model 3's will have the Autopilot hardware, and will have all the Autopilot safety features such as early collision warning and lane departure warnings and automatic collision avoidance, but the self-driving features will be an optional software upgrade. I don't think you will get free supercharging, unless Europe is different from the U.S. Starting in 2017, new Teslas will not have free lifetime supercharging anymore (mine got grandfathered in, though ). it's still a very minor expense -- i think it costs me about $8 in electricity for ~320 miles of range when charging at home.

In western europe we are runner up after usa with the amount of superchargers,so you can go on vacation with your tesla too nowerdays?!

absolutely, pretty much anywhere except the midwest. i've taken a number of trips. this summer i'll be going from Virginia to Ottawa, Canada (about 650 miles). In a few weeks, i'll be taking it to Pinhurst, NC (about 320 miles). There are superchargers all up and down the coasts, and the car knows exactly where they all are, and plans out your stops for you.

Electric cars used to be slow and ugly,but Elon Musk made them fast and sexy.

according to Motor Trend, my model (the P100D) is the quickest car of any kind they have ever tested, doing 0-60 in 2.28 seconds. it handles exceptionally well for a heavy 4-door sedan, too. the (very heavy) battery is all underneath the floor, giving the car a uniquely low center of gravity, and the electric motors can control stability and traction at a sub-millisecond level, hundreds of times more precise than a gas motor can. it sticks to the road far better than most cars.

that said, it is not a track car at all. the motors aren't designed for that. but on the street, it can pretty much instantly teleport to any spot that you can see. the acceleration is so forceful and so instantaneous, it's ridiculous. ludicrous, even .

Don't get me wrong,i owned about 15 detroit iron v8 muscle cars through the years and i loved them all but i feel like a movement is on the rise..
Who's in?

i hear you. my previous car was a Dodge Challenger, and I was considering a Hellcat, but one test drive in the Tesla changed my mind.

Quoted from TZBen:

I don't want to subsidize anybody car or roof solar panels.

Actually, Tesla receives exactly zero money from the Federal government. they took out a $465 million loan (a loan, not a subsidy) years ago, but they paid it back in 2013 - 9 years ahead of schedule. And they do benefit from some subsidies in certain states -- Nevada, for example, gave them a lot of money to build their Gigafactory there. But the Federal gov't gives them zilch. Meanwhile, the fossil fuels industry receives approximately $18 billion in Federal subsidies per year. that's a fact. truth is, if you don't like industries propped up by your taxes, then go electric!

also, Tesla is the most American car manufacturer out there - the batteries come from a Gigafactory in Nevada, and the cars are all assembled in Silicon Valley. My Dodge Challenger was made in Canada. Most "American" pickup trucks like the Silverado and F150 are made in Mexico.

Quoted from Davidus56:

Tesla capital raise bonds are paying over 6%. That is junk status and extremely ominous regarding their financial health and staying power. I honestly do not believe they will be able to continue as an independent, ongoing concern 2 years from now. I own a P85D, but because I am so concerned about their solvency, I'm going to sell it - while the gettin (out) is good!

yeah, they are burning through boatloads of cash, but take those numbers in context. they are building a humongous industry from the ground up, including all the supercharging and dealership infrastructure. it takes a tremendous capital investment to get rolling. on the bright side, their sales have been increasing by about 50% every year since the release of the Model S. They are expanding aggressively not just domestically but into large foreign markets like Europe, South Korea, and China (where they did over $1 billion in revenue last year). yeah, they've incurred a lot of debt, because they are building gigafactories and developing tons of their own tech. but the cars themselves are great, and more importantly, extremely popular. The new showroom in South Korea has a 6-month waiting list for a *test drive* right now.

i get that a lot of us around here have been particularly stung by the pitfalls of pre-ordering, but Tesla is a company that has shown it can deliver home runs. Tesla ranked #1 on Consumer Reports' Customer Satisfaction Survey, and it won by a large margin:

tesla satisfaction (resized).pngtesla satisfaction (resized).png

granted, if the Model 3 ends up being a flop, yes, the company is definitely doomed. But as a Model S owner, I think the platform it's based on is fantastic.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

run on electricity that in some parts of the country are generated by burning coal.

Yes yes yes.
How is the electricity generated, where the car is charging from? Coal/Steam, Oil/Steam, Nuclear, Hydro/Electric, even Diesel/Electric, Wind generation, or Solar? People should have some idea what is the actual carbon foot print of charging electric cars.

Not personally anti-electric autos, just think consumers should be more smarter, to ask all of the questions.

#26 6 years ago

I got TDI b4 all crap hit and love it. Def would consider this tesla 3 once been out a bit looks great.

#27 6 years ago

Put my deposit down the first day. Probably won't be getting it before 2nd quarter of 2018 though. Hoping for sooner.

#28 6 years ago

Our Model X 100D arrives this Friday. Sooooooo excited. Tesla rules!!
Its around 750 hp total with 500 hp in the rear and 250 hp in the front. Space for my two German Shepards!! 0-60 around 4 secs.
Black on Black full automatic driving capabilities...wish I had it when I drank as a fish...

#29 6 years ago

Sorry, I don't want to sound like a hater because I would love a Model S or X. However, the problem with the 3 is, it is the middle class electric vehicle, but Tesla will be at the end of there allotment of tax credits. Meaning, those that had money to be early adopters benefited from tax credits around $7,500 (depending on state), but that will only be good for the first 200,000 vehicles produced. By the time the 3 rolls out those credits will be gone.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Yes yes yes.
How is the electricity generated, where the car is charging from? Coal/Steam, Oil/Steam, Nuclear, Hydro/Electric, even Diesel/Electric, Wind generation, or Solar? People should have some idea what is the actual carbon foot print of charging electric cars.
Not personally anti-electric autos, just think consumers should be more smarter, to ask all of the questions.

Coal currently holds a rapidly-shrinking plurality of the energy generated in the states. the great thing about switching your national automotive fleet off of fossil fuels is that it allows you to improve the efficiency and cleanliness of every vehicle in the country simply by improving the efficiency/cleanliness of your power grid, and you reap benefits from the economy of scale. in America, renewable sources of energy such as solar are accounting for a rapidly increasing share of our energy production -- thus, each successive year, the same electric car becomes cleaner, while an internal combustion engine car stays the same.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

the great thing about switching your national automotive fleet off of fossil fuels is that it allows you to improve the efficiency and cleanliness of every vehicle

Word

flintstones-e1354034454144 (resized).pngflintstones-e1354034454144 (resized).png

#33 6 years ago

I bought my first electric car last year. A used 2012 Nissan Leaf w/ 28k miles. When this car was new it was $35,000 (mine is the SL aka premium model.) The used market on electric cars is AMAZING...well except for Tesla. I got my Leaf for $8200 out the door and you can get a similar one all day for that price used. Go look at Craigslist. Screw paying $35k+. My car will have paid for itself in less than 5 years with my gas savings and maintenance savings (no oil changes). I love Tesla but my goal was to actually save money and secondary all the environment stuff. I have had the car for a year and I can charge 90% of the time for free at University of Md. which is 3 miles from my house. Infrastructure in the D.C. Area is awesome for EV owners.

IMG_2049 (resized).JPGIMG_2049 (resized).JPG

IMG_3681 (resized).JPGIMG_3681 (resized).JPG

IMG_3950 (resized).JPGIMG_3950 (resized).JPG

#34 6 years ago

Looks like there are currently 7 Tesla dealers in Canada. Last week our customer scored the Tesla Canada account. They will be handling the lease returns and possibly repossessions. This morning I asked the Operations Manager, "Is there a charging station being installed at your site?" He sort of said, "Why would we need that?" Today a Porsche arrived from Tesla Canada.
Can't see getting more than 20 vehicles per year, but time will tell. This should be interesting.

#35 6 years ago

Enjoy velvet, you are right. I read last year on C&D you can find two year old Leaf for less than $8k. I looked it up and I had four choices with less than 23K miles. So, tempting, but I really need a family car. This is what would hold me back on a Tesla 3, though. I don't lease; I want to own. When the 3 three years after release is worth much less due to better technology, it is not attractive to me.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Enjoy velvet, you are right. I read last year on C&D you can find two year old Leaf for less than $8k. I looked it up and I had four choices with less than 23K miles. So, tempting, but I really need a family car. This is what would hold me back on a Tesla 3, though. I don't lease; I want to own. When the 3 three years after release is worth much less due to better technology, it is not attractive to me.

Model S's hold their value better than any other electric car. can't speak for the Model 3, though.

nada-ev-resale-chart-1year-01 (resized).jpgnada-ev-resale-chart-1year-01 (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

I think you are actually more afraid your s85 is going to drop in value because of the way cheaper model 3.(with all the goodies your s has)
That would be my concern standing in your shoes..
I was actually looking for a used Tesla s85 but when i heard the model 3 news,the choice was easy:
€65000 for a 2015 used s85 or half of that money for a brand new model 3!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Well people have been shouting that for years but Tesla did some actual research on that matter..
Turns out,the majority of EV drivers have solar panels on their roof and thus want an EV.
It also works the other way around:
Most people that own an electric car buy solar panels shortly.
With all respect,we are all very smart and everybody knows the obvious data that you are still proclaiming.
But stuff is changing.
People are building their individual power plants..
And yes,it takes more energy to build an electric windmill than it can ever produce during it's life.
But that doesn't mean we should not build a lot of them?
Do you actually think a charcoal plant magically appears?
No it has to be build and that takes energy too.
So your argument is build on air.
The world needs to change and Elon Musk understands how to convince the sceptics.
He has a solar company ánd an EV company for a reason btw.
Oh? You think solar panels are ugly? No sweat? Here is a roof tile solar panel..

IMG_4004 (resized).JPGIMG_4004 (resized).JPG

#39 6 years ago

Nikola Tesla was the genius Edison had a hard time bowing down to. Or paying him for that matter. Tesla was right and Edison made a fortune off Nikola's invention. Nikola was the better man. An amazing man with an amazing mind.th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

doing 0-60 in 2.28 seconds.

Think I want the Model S instead.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

just wait for the next iteration of the Roadster, which according to Elon Musk will replace "Ludicrous Mode" with "Maximum Plaid".

#42 6 years ago

If I ever buy tesla it would be for one reason: performance.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Only the p100d runs times like that,but if you are a speed demon,Tesla delivers..

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

See? Tesla p 100 d for you!

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

I bought my first electric car last year. A used 2012 Nissan Leaf w/ 28k miles. When this car was new it was $35,000 (mine is the SL aka premium model.) The used market on electric cars is AMAZING...well except for Tesla. I got my Leaf for $8200 out the door and you can get a similar one all day for that price used. Go look at Craigslist. Screw paying $35k+. My car will have paid for itself in less than 5 years with my gas savings and maintenance savings (no oil changes). I love Tesla but my goal was to actually save money and secondary all the environment stuff. I have had the car for a year and I can charge 90% of the time for free at University of Md. which is 3 miles from my house. Infrastructure in the D.C. Area is awesome for EV owners.

True,but the big issue with the leaf is how it looks:
Blegh:

IMG_4007 (resized).JPGIMG_4007 (resized).JPG

#45 6 years ago

Mmmmm...

IMG_4008 (resized).JPGIMG_4008 (resized).JPG

#46 6 years ago

Yeah, only problem is I told my wife to shoot me if I ever started talking about getting another car. I traded my last car (Jag XF-R with 500hp) for my current Land Rover and have never regretted it. Heck, I'd notice myself going 90mph down the interstate with my 3 kids in the car and not even realize it. It was fun though that's for sure.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

If I ever get a Tesla it will be so I can brag about it on Pinside

#48 6 years ago

True,but the big issue with the leaf is how it looks:
Blegh:

Ha! This is true...it is certainly no Tesla as far as looks but I don't find it appalling. It's quirky looking which to me is more appealing than looking like a typical hatchback. The thing with EVs is you gotta be in the right location to make it work for you. Having solar panels is pretty pointless to me because they don't hold a charge...I'm not home during the day except on weekends which means my electric car isn't harnessing the solar power. The range on my Leaf is realistically 65 miles per charge (I have the 24kw batter) but since my wife's commute is 5-10 miles daily between taking the kids to school and work it's a perfect commuter car. Plus, she can plug into the outdoor 110 outlet at work and gets a free charge. Even with a Tesla, I think at this point its a perfect SECONDARY car. You still need a gas car for long trips unless you plan out your longer trips on a 200-250 miles per charge Tesla. Plus, you gotta make sure those charging stations are up and running or not being used by another EV when you need it. Your mindset totally changes when driving an EV but I gotta say I def I'm def a believer in the future of EVs (and I'm not an environmental enthusiasts more than throwing my trash in a trash can and recycling my cans and bottles like most of us).

My buddy just won a free 3 year lease of a Tesla Model S 90 for being salesman of the year at his work. He's gonna take me on a test drive this weekend so I'm sure it's going to be amazing. If I had unlimited funds I would go for a Model X...those gull wing doors are the shit!

Like I said, if you or your wife are looking for a commuter car and your daily drive is 50 miles or less roundtrip each day you need to look at the used Nissan Leaf market...they are an absolute steal!

This article here is what finally made me take the plunge and I'm glad I did. Download the "Plugshare" app and see what chargers are close to your area.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/buying-a-nissan-leaf/

#49 6 years ago

Also, if you live near a college chances there are lots of public charging stations!

#50 6 years ago

Solar roof, Model 3, all in my future.

For exactly that reason, lets move our asses into the future for F's sake. No more burning fossil fuels in cars. The model T was introduced in 1908 and got 21 mpg. Why are we not getting 100 mpg 109 years later? Oil companies! What a joke of an industry.

There are 3,310 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.