(Topic ID: 157692)

Who is in a pinball league??

By BowlingJim

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13112853_10153677974518215_4709529935666043483_o_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    102736389-Untitled-1.530x298_(resized).jpg
    P1010375_(resized).JPG
    13055179_1251829808179276_3937765325234819852_o_(resized).jpg
    FSPA_PAPA_token_(resized).jpg
    12977235_10154130730043910_8366275029900218938_o_(resized).jpg

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

I started a league about 3 months ago. We are on our second season and have 14 members.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

You guys with 30-70 people in the league is a lot. How long does it take for 1 league night of play?

It depends on how many games are played and how many games are at the location.

We play four games but have about 13 on location. There's not much waiting as a result and in the top division/group (usually the longest playing or running), it takes about one and a half to two hours to complete a session.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

You guys with 30-70 people in the league is a lot. How long does it take for 1 league night of play?

This varies a ton on the format and the number of machines available, bottlenecking can be a problem.

The two 25-35 player leagues I'm involved with take 1.5-2.5 hours (mixed seed groups) for five games to about 3 hours (group based on seed) for four games.

If your scoring and groups are based on direct play and the better players end up in a few groups, that leads to longer playtimes. Playing the same games every week also results in people getting comfortable with the games and usually ends up taking longer.

#54 7 years ago

If you are not in a league, you need to be.. This is Balls of Steel RVA last night. Had a blast...

13112853_10153677974518215_4709529935666043483_o_(resized).jpg13112853_10153677974518215_4709529935666043483_o_(resized).jpg

#55 7 years ago

I've never been in one, but I am currently trying to get one going, I have 8, but what is a good starting number to get a league going?

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I've never been in one, but I am currently trying to get one going, I have 8, but what is a good starting number to get a league going?

Its a bit of a drive for you, but we have a league in Schererville, IN. We play on the every Thursday of the month except the first Thursday. We have recently started a monthly tournament at the same place on the first Thursday.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Moops:

Its a bit of a drive for you, but we have a league in Schererville, IN. We play on the every Thursday of the month except the first Thursday. We have recently started a monthly tournament at the same place on the first Thursday.

Brad isn't too far from him. I'm a bit closer.

If you can make it Jay, it's a great group.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

We started with 5 and maxed out by the second season.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Brad isn't too far from him. I'm a bit closer.
    If you can make it Jay, it's a great group.

I'll try and get up there tomorrow, I've pm'ed moops

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I would say you need 5 pins and about 12 people to start. I have 9 pins and 24 in my league. I will not go any higher than 24 people..

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I would say you need 5 pins and about 12 people to start. I have 9 pins and 24 in my league. I will not go any higher than 24 people..

Pins isn't the issue the place has 30+, it's trying to get people to commit.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Gotcha. I would say start w/ 12. Thats just me..

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

My vote is for whatever you can dig up. It will grow as members tell other members. I wouldn't go any less than 4 though for obvious reasons. Anyway you slice it, you'll have a good time.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

We had 4 our first night. It grew from there. Currently in our 6th season.

#65 7 years ago

I am in a league with about 30 others that meet every other Saturday night at rotating members houses. My first league. Great group of people!!!

#66 7 years ago

We have now created a new subforum for "Leagues"... I moved this thread there. Welcome, you're first!

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Any idea how often you guys would meet and if it'd be near you in Manhattan? My gf and I would probably come out.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Any idea how often you guys would meet and if it'd be near you in Manhattan? My gf and I would probably come out.

Yeah it's going to be every other week, unsure of day/time as I'm trying to figure out when is best for everyone. My wife is playin so your GF wouldn't be only female. It's literally 10 mins from my house. Let me know

#69 7 years ago

i play at Mighty Mike's in Northern VA. there are about 25-30 of us depending on the season. There are actually 2 different leagues in the DC/MD/VA area -- the DMV Pinball League and the FSPA (which has been around since 1995 -- oldest active pinball league in the world i've been told). not sure how many people there are total between the two leagues, but there are about 5 or 6 locations in the MD/DC/VA area to choose from at the moment. pretty awesome.

it is super fun and i love it!

#70 7 years ago

I run semi-continuous leagues at my location that usually have 14 players, but recently jumped to 24.

I also play in the Mile High Pinball League at Lyons Classic Pinball that has around 32 players.

Additionally, I started a team league in the Denver area that has 7 teams of 10 that travel around to each others' venues for matches each week. 38 additional players have played as substitutes so far this season. The team league has been better than I thought it would be at bringing in players who had not previously competed before...there is a lot of camaraderie, and attendance is highly incentivized.

#71 7 years ago

I'm also in the aforementioned Fox Cities league. 3rd place two years running, not bad for an old(ish) fart, eh?

My streak is in jeopardy this year, though, age is catching up with me, not practicing much lately due to aches and pains... Who knew flipping could send shooting pain up to your shoulder? So this year is about rest and rehabilitation. And the large number of insta-drains I've been plagued with aren't helping!

#72 7 years ago

Wish I had time to competitively play pinball.....

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-a-pinball-league/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.