Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

With the Star Wars movie coming out next year and predicted to be a big hit it would seem to be a good license for a new game. The old one is not in demand much in either form. Who do we think is going to pursue it?

#2 5 years ago

Most of us grew up with the original Star Wars films and no matter how good these new one might be I would prefer a pin based on those movies. Its like StarTrek I love my Stern LE but would have preferred it more if was based on the original cast and those great films from the 80's, so many modes to be had. Still even the new ones which I am eagerly anticipating will be great for a theme. Stern I think will get that license, they have the most clout.

#3 5 years ago

Stern, it is probably already a done deal.

If Stern were smart, they could do a limited edition run of the Original Trilogy at 500-700 units, at $9,500.

If the game were great, with original cast voices…I wouldn't think twice about it.

#4 5 years ago

I hope they don't use the hillbilly voice actor for that one.

#5 5 years ago

I think stern has it

#6 5 years ago

I'd assume Stern all day being Disney owns Star Wars, and Stern has had a good relationship with them in the past it would seem.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I'd assume Stern all day being Disney owns Star Wars, and Stern has had a great relationship with them.

Welp, I guess that means another hum drum star wars table.

It's kind of a shame...there's simply so much material that can be drawn from the star wars universe in order to make a completely mind-blowing theme. There's no reason that a new SW theme shouldn't be awesome.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Welp, I guess that means another hum drum Star Wars table.
It's kind of a shame...there's simply so much material that can be drawn from the Star Wars universe in order to make a completely mind-blowing theme. There's no reason that a new SW theme shouldn't be awesome.

I think you're worried about a non-issue in the present day. SW could be the next ACDC/MET for all we know right now.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I think you're worried about a non-issue in the present day. SW could be the next ACDC/MET for all we know right now.

Yeah, I'm probably thinking too far ahead about what might or might not happen. But I can't say there are too many Stern games made in the past 10 years that I really enjoy playing enough to consider buying them.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I hope they don't use the hillbilly voice actor for that one.

Hey get dem power converters over there

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Stern, it is probably already a done deal.
If Stern were smart, they could do a limited edition run of the Original Trilogy at 500-700 units, at $9,500.

Stern (as Sega) already did Original Trilogy...you can pick them up for $2k or less.

#12 5 years ago

I think JJP should do Star Wars (so we can see some awesome video clips) and Stern should do Game of Thrones. I have spoken.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern (as Sega) already did Original Trilogy...you can pick them up for $2k or less.

Technically they did it twice since DE > SEGA > Stern and there is the DE Star Wars.

Remember all the hype for episode 1 though? Williams bet on that horse, paid more for the royalties which required raising the price. They didn't sell as well as expected and the movie was a bust in many respects.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think JJP should do Star Wars (so we can see some awesome video clips) and Stern should do Game of Thrones. I have spoken.

Before I saw The Hobbit, I would've said the same thing about JJP doing it. But now...I'm not so sure.

#15 5 years ago

I doubt JJP wants to deal with licensing again for awhile. But maybe Disney is easier to deal with.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, I'm probably thinking too far ahead about what might or might not happen. But I can't say there are too many Stern games made in the past 10 years that I really enjoy playing enough to consider buying them.

Fair enough but I can level that charge against any manufacturer right now. The boutique guys are too small and I don't like the themes, DP is unproven and unreleased (could change) and JJP is still too slow at production and I hate the WoZ theme. So really unless it is Stern, I'll be waiting forever for an unknown quality of product, whereas with Stern I will get at least SOMETHING to play and to consider buying, even if it's a turd.

Again, time will prove out what will be best but right now, Stern is the only way SW gets made imo.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Most of us grew up with the original Star Wars films and no matter how good these new one might be I would prefer a pin based on those movies. Its like StarTrek I love my Stern LE but would have preferred it more if was based on the original cast and those great films from the 80's, so many modes to be had. Still even the new ones which I am eagerly anticipating will be great for a theme. Stern I think will get that license, they have the most clout.

Big thumbs down to this. Let old pins support old movies. We need to be moving forward. There are already two other pins dedicated to those old movies. We definitely don't need a third. Personally, I loved those old movies as a kid. But re-watching them recently, they look so cheesy and the fight scenes are laughable. I am definitely out in a new pin with Luke sky walkers young face plastered onto it.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

But maybe Disney is easier to deal with.

Disney is one of the worst companies to work with. They're so insane about the contracts and bullshit. If you have an idea for another game during the time you're working on their's they want to own it if you read the fine print.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Big thumbs down to this. Let old pins support old movies. We need to be moving forward. There are already two other pins dedicated to those old movies. We definitely don't need a third. Personally, I loved those old movies as a kid. But re-watching them recently, they look so cheesy and the fight scenes are laughable. I am definitely out in a new pin with Luke sky walkers young face plastered onto it.

SW is still very much alive--the original movies are sci-fi classics. The newer trilogy, well, is lacking in some respects.

Personally, I'd welcome a pin for the original trilogy if it were done well.

#20 5 years ago

If Stern does it I can't wait to see the yoda, dark side, darth vader memes regarding code updates....

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

SW is still very much alive--the original movies are sci-fi classics. The newer trilogy, well, is lacking in some respects.
Personally, I'd welcome a pin for the original trilogy if it were done well.

What's lacking so hard you are so out on it btw? All the star wars nerds seem so out on the new trilogy, but a reason is never supplied that carries any weight.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

What's lacking so hard you are so out on it btw? All the Star Wars nerds seem so out on the new trilogy, but a reason is never supplied that carries any weight.

If falls short mainly in the execution of the story-telling elements. Wooden performances, clunky dialog, over-reliance on CGI, annoying and unrelatable characters (Jar-Jar and a whiny main character), plot holes, character motivations that made no sense, and so on.

The original trilogy was about the rise and growth of a group of characters on a swashbuckling adventure to defeat evil doers. The prequel trilogy lost touch with that magic formula.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There's no good Star Wars pins.

Stern needs to make a great one.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

What's lacking so hard you are so out on it btw? All the Star Wars nerds seem so out on the new trilogy, but a reason is never supplied that carries any weight.

Au contraire:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Somebody sure does. With all thats going on lately its just a matter of who is going to do it. Sorry to hear that Disney is such a pain to work with. That alone could kill it.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If falls short mainly in the execution of the story-telling elements. Wooden performances, clunky dialog, over-reliance on CGI, annoying and unrelatable characters (Jar-Jar and a whiny main character), plot holes, character motivations that made no sense, and so on.
The original trilogy was about the rise and growth of a group of characters on a swashbuckling adventure to defeat evil doers. The prequel trilogy lost touch with that magic formula.

You talk about the original trilogy with a sense of childhood magistry. Which is great. For me it seems like a lot of the original big time star wars fans were too grown up to enjoy the new trilogy

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Nah, DE SW rocks with the 1.04.code. Tons of fun, great dots and sounds, awesome r2d2 and Death Star toys. My STLE seems kind of cheap in comparison.

#28 5 years ago

I beg for jjp or dp to have it.

#30 5 years ago

I think it would make sense to wait until the 3rd film is released before making the pin similar to what JJP is doing with TH.

#31 5 years ago

Mr. Plinkett's Star Wars prequel trilogy is spot on.

I remember when Phantom Menace came out. My mouth was dropped at the end of the movie wondering how something like that could be made.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

You talk about the original trilogy with a sense of childhood magistry. Which is great. For me it seems like a lot of the original big time Star Wars fans were too grown up to enjoy the new trilogy

Not really--most of my comments were primarily from an objective, analytical perspective of the films as a whole. While I am still fond of the original trilogy, they were simply films that were better made, had a better story, and more likable characters--even though the prequel trilogy had the advantage of shiny baubles, bells, and whistles.

Bells and whistles aren't the story--they're the means to tell one. If you don't have a good story to begin with and interesting characters the audience can relate to, fancy special effects won't matter much.

#33 5 years ago

Regarding special effects, just look at superman and man of steel.

One move has state of art special effects the other is full of story.

#34 5 years ago

With all the constraints these movie studios place on the manufacturers, I'm hoping they will be motivated to do more original themes. I'm eager to see what JJP #3 turns out like.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

With all the constraints these movie studios place on the manufacturers, I'm hoping they will be motivated to do more original themes. I'm eager to see what JJP #3 turns out like.

I agree but also think some of this IP constraint shit is exaggerated by manufacturers for their budget lacking time & money.

Somehow PinballFX cranks out games like South Park, The Walking Dead & etc. If the art & sounds are the IP constraints how can digital pinball machines which rely on Art & sound get approval? Yet JJP makes a widely disliked dragon & Stern has a very disapointing deer hunter for a zombie

#36 5 years ago

Duplicate

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lake Saint Louis, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hudson, NH
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
€ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside