2800EF78-F2A8-426C-8B33-AFF7AE33E8D1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7782 (resized).jpg
20180704_171224 (resized).jpg
DBB6C15F-0E27-48F8-B51B-5EE5D2585D55 (resized).jpeg
C755F9C8-2A57-4CEC-924F-08A9E8A9B19F (resized).jpeg
899AF81E-29EA-4A2E-BD57-DA2A1723DBCB (resized).jpeg
5AB3642F-4F32-40BE-A4D7-0054CEB15907 (resized).jpeg
20191222_190724 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 7 years ago

in the past 2 years MANY people have gotten over the BS status quo opinions and realized Gottlieb made some of the best games out there. Sure, they cheaped out on cabinet quality, but they made up for it in great engineering, design, unique layouts, $$$$ invested into audio, and shear volume of cool titles.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Very true! But yeah man I think they had some of the toughest cabinets though

they used particle or compressed board or whatever you call it, it some games (not sure of the actual date/split). They are heavy and solid but susceptible to moisture causing swelling.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

not really feeling it.

Quoted from metallik:

were pretty bad, with a few exceptions.

I think you guys missed it that this thread was asking for people that liked them... lol

Gottlieb invested in sound quality and it shows. It was also part of the reason they failed... you cant hear pins on location in a loud arcade so it was a silly investment for the BOM. The quality of audio quality and uniqueness in gottliebs is better for every era acrossed the board.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

As I always tell people, if it's telling you that so much it annoys you... maybe you should shoot the pyramid. It *really* doesn't say it that often. Plus you can just turn it off if you're that picky.
Stargate has some of my favorite sounds of any pinball machine. So many cool little effects. Love the sound as the ball rolls down the wireforms

The biggest problem with later Gottliebs, it seems. No balance to the rules at all because of their tight production schedule

Agreed stargate is a favorite game. The sounds, art, shot layout, and innovation is top notch. It also obviously helped set the foundation for DEEP code!

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is something you dreamed and doesn't actually happen in real life.

Happens all the time. Commonly the most played games at shows ime.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I've owned both Statgate and Big Hurt... Stargate didn't do much for me but Big Hurt did! Flipper mod is a must with that era of Gottleib.
BLack Hole is on an entirely different level!

What flipper mod?

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I better not see all your Premieres up for sale soon.

you wont!

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Clay's guide... putting Sys 1 stops in...
Cuts down on the ability to instantly cradle every single shot no matter what.. makes Sys 3 games more difficult. Vast improvement
See his Sys 3 guide for specifics.

That is not a mod! That is a flat out hack and he thinks he is smarter than the designers. Laughable and insulting to some of the best designers in the trade.

Do whatever you want to bastardize your games, but pretty silly for him to sell that as a mod. Most likely scenario was he did not have a GTB rebuild on hand one day so decided to use sys11 stops and then sold it as an 'improvement'.

GTB games have the extra flipper travel for a reason. For many it is because they have awesome long tight shots up steep ramps which require the full flipper travel to move the ball. Others it was because if you could post pass then the game would be too easy and too controlled. A properly set up GTB with correct flippers is plenty difficult.

For any new person reading all this, PLEASE dont ruin an awesome gottlieb by hacking it with the wrong flipper parts.

Clay knows lots of great stuff and even though he is the pinball ninja, he sometimes does flat out hacks like this. Luckily, this can be easily corrected to be stock.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's like racism for pinball machines (pincism?). You don't have to hate an entire manufacturer or line up. All pins matter.

i lol'd

You need to come play my stargate again so I can teach you how to play it. One of the best games out there once you figure out the strategy.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If I ever get my hands on a sys3 first thing I'm doing is tearing out those horribly designed flipper mechs and sticking some sys80 or wpc mechs in. Not because of the angle so much as how sloppy they feel.

feel free to hack your own machine however you want in order to enjoy it. I just dont want people thinking that is a widely accepted 'mod' It is a hack, but if it works for you then all good.

#102 7 years ago

with over 100 posts in short order and this thread on fire on a Friday morning... pretty obvious to me there are more Gottlieb lovers now than just a short time ago.

Cool to see people are cathcing on and glad I picked up my hard core keepers a few years back.

#108 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive?query=&machine_generation=17#results

90s GTB sys 3 games that are super fun and worth putting in a collection with pride IMO

Stargate
Rescue 911
TOff
Gladiators
Wipe Out
CBW
OT
Vegas
CCruise

#109 7 years ago

still a few that I have not listed as I dont have enough time on them to decide.

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Well, you're wrong, it's not a hack, it's a modification... it can easily be done using Gottleib Sys 1 parts and can be undone in a matter of seconds.
Really sorry that this got your panties in a wad, but on the bright side had made it incredibly easy to stick you on the ignore list. Seriously, who has time to read a mini-tantrum cryfest?
You asked, I told you... you really not need to lecture.

bye felicia.

Pretty sure you are the only one getting your panties in a knot. It is a hack. A reversible hack, but a hack none the less. When you change the play of a game dramatically from how the designer intended then you have hacked the game. Changing flipper travel falls into that catergory for me and many others that respect the intent of the original designer.

If it was an actual flaw of the design then I would say you could call it a mod (for example over powering the coils on LOTR because they overheat during long games is a mod as it was a flaw of the oringal game you made better).

Since you have me on ignore now, I am just typing this for the clarification and understanding of other new people lurking so they dont bastardize their GTB 80b or premier decks cause they cant handle a new flipper style.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Norris, Tanzer, & Trudeau

by far some fo the best, most innovative, and prolific designers of all time!

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

OP: may I make a suggestion and simply rename your thread to something like - another Gottlieb hater thread? Lol.
Now you see why Gottlieb fans don't bother discussing so much I guess.
I see this thread going nowhere good, sorry.
Enjoy guys!

Could just make it the 'Gottlieb only fan club'. Pretty sure that si how pinside works. Make a club specific thread and the trolls get the boot quickly. Sad that yet again the same 3 or 4 guys dump on some great games again/everytime to try and control the conversation.

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'll give you prolific

Hey aren't you a route operator? How does your collection of Premier games do at the cash box?

I dont put many gottliebs out as they are way too valuable to me to get beat on route.

The ones I have put out have done EXCEPTIONALLY well. Tee'd Off in particular beat most of what you woudl call classic B/W games for 6 months straight. It only left as it was a gift for my brother. It only went on route so I could get any bug worked out before it went to him. Worth note that it had ZERO issues the entier 6 months it was on route, which also helped with earnings. It is also one of the most requested games to return form the regulars.

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man that's hard to believe. But I guess it makes sense considering the huge lines to play "Wipe Out" at all the pinball shows.

CBW also did exceptionally well. ONly had that one out for a few months but it brought in about 70% of what TAF did for all 3 months it was out. Keep in mind CBW only cost 1500 compared to TAF at 5500. I know which one was the clear winner in that finacial debate, lol.

#157 7 years ago

On route I found that many people came it with preconcieved internet notions on "oh what a crappy game" Then 2 months go by and I catch them playing that crappy Teed Off or even looking to buy one for themself once it left route. Funny how in real life the cash box never lies and just watching what people play is very telling. People warm up to GTBs and then fall in love.

You rarely see them and players gravitate to them once they play a good one and learn how they are so well build and engineered. Stable beasts and are super fun and often very quique and challenging.

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Enjoying game on this timeless classic in OBX NC today!
Really lovin that amazing sound quality whysnow was telling me about!

Glad to see you comin around!

#296 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic there, Hilton.

Of course, but it is more fun from the way i posted the double sarcasm to change his. Lol

#333 7 years ago

glad to see some people got bored and this thread is trending how it should!

#338 7 years ago

Nice. Never played abounty hunter. Looks fun

#432 7 years ago

mods, if we move this to a club section does that allow the ban hammer to come out for the trolls?

I am enjoying the discussion on games I enjoy and get tired of the troll posts. Try to just ignore them but they seem to be insatiable lately.

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Has anybody here ever played night moves? I almost bought one (twice) for the hell of it, but seemed like it may get old fast...haven't played it myself to actually say that though.

it is EPICly amazing! My favorite of the 1 player cocktails! I owned a Caribbean Cruise also, but NM is way better. Good game play and more great tunes!

#485 7 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Mines the left one

in that case, I will take the one on the right...

#499 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Am I overlooking a setting or can Free Play only be enabled in Tournament mode on Sys3 games? If so, can it be configured to add more than one credit per coin drop? My dart machine doesn't have free play, but I set it to add 5 credits per coin drop so I can quickly add credits when needed.

Off the top of my head so may be wrong.

Open coin door. Turn on game, then pull out interlock switch. Inside coin door in a toggle switch. Move it one way and you will see the ability to change into free play setting.

#501 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, that's the Tournament mode switch that has freeplay as an option. But when in standard settings there doesn't seem to be free play available. The problem is you can't "Fine Tune" the game adjustments (lots more options) in Tournament mode.

you shoudl be able to select tounament mode "no" and free play "yes"

#509 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

That's what I wondered. I dont think my big hurt has anything other than 2 standard quarter mechs.
This has this one big electronic one that takes 3 different coins...kind of reminds me of a digital version of the old jukebox mechs.
I can take better pics if anyone needs them or can help. This is the only one of these I've come across.

pretty sure that is a foriegn coin mech. I think they still use those in UK?

2 months later
#727 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

What's the story with Stargate? I LOVE the theme and really enjoyed the movie (haven't seen the show). There is one up for sale a few hours from me but I've never played the pin. Is it worth giving a shot?
The only Gottlieb I've ever played was a Freddy on location but I couldn't continue for more than one ball. The flippers felt so weak compared to anything else.

Stargate is a grade A game! If you had weak flippers on a freddy, it was just that they needed a rebuild. These GTB games have super strong flippers. Granted they have 15degrees further travel than you may be used to on a B/W game but that doe not weaken them. weak = dirty and in need of rebuild.

More flipper travel on a GTB = AWESOME!! It means more backhandable shots, more power stroke range for shots, and a slightly differnet play style required. All big positives. Properly rebuilt GTB flippers are actually stronger than other games based on the geometry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-likes-premiergottlieb?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.