2800EF78-F2A8-426C-8B33-AFF7AE33E8D1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7782 (resized).jpg
20180704_171224 (resized).jpg
DBB6C15F-0E27-48F8-B51B-5EE5D2585D55 (resized).jpeg
C755F9C8-2A57-4CEC-924F-08A9E8A9B19F (resized).jpeg
899AF81E-29EA-4A2E-BD57-DA2A1723DBCB (resized).jpeg
5AB3642F-4F32-40BE-A4D7-0054CEB15907 (resized).jpeg
20191222_190724 (resized).jpg
There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 18.
#301 7 years ago

Would ya check out that "Automatic percentaging"!

#302 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Would ya check out that "Automatic percentaging"!

ITS THE FUTURE BRO. What is automatic percentaging anyway?

#303 7 years ago

Ive asked before and havent ever found out, my gladiators flyer says it has a pre pitch system, auto pitch adjust. Anyone know anything about this? Im guessing its something they tried but it didnt make it to production, just still on the flyer

dsfiles-img-5-1234955984 (resized).jpgdsfiles-img-5-1234955984 (resized).jpg

#304 7 years ago

Love the nineties gottlieb's. Street Fighter 2 is one of my keepers. Purchasing a Wipe Out tomorrow. Well worth the money these games are not over-inflated because of the haters.

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

Love the nineties gottlieb's. Street Fighter 2 is one of my keepers. Purchasing a Wipe Out tomorrow. Well worth the money these games are not over-inflated because of the haters.

Wipeout is awesome. The callouts get old very quick, but its a fun game and i love the art. Set it to difficult though or its very very easy.

#306 7 years ago

I thought Wipeout was ok for about 3 weeks then once the honeymoon phase wore off...well. .... waiting on that dam skilift over and over was horrible and that dam dumb slalom that took up a quarter of the playfield lol. It had some neat shots but i cldnt wait to get rid of it and wld never own it again even if it was cheaper than the 1250 i paid lol. I like playing the system 3s on occasion bc they are so different, but they tend to get boring very quickly after the novelty of the toys wear off which y i wont own them any more due to my limited space. They have their place and all pinball is fun......

#307 7 years ago

Just picked up a Robo-War!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

Let the love fest continue!

#308 7 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Just picked up a Robo-War!

Let the love fest continue!

DUDE! Congratulations!

#309 7 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

Send photos over when you do get it!

#310 7 years ago

Anyone ever play a Diamond Lady? Such a strange game haha real funny art. Looks real fun

#311 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Anyone ever play a Diamond Lady? Such a strange game haha real funny art. Looks real fun

I'd really like to see how that drop target between the flippers works

#312 7 years ago

Diamond Lady is a good game. Pretty tough too. If I recall correctly, it was Jon Norris's first production game and it was designed more for the advanced player (hit only certain targets while completely avoiding others), and it was less approachable for a beginner for high scores.

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd really like to see how that drop target between the flippers works

That's what I'm saying, man! Super innovative and cool idea

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Diamond Lady is a good game. Pretty tough too. If I recall correctly, it was Jon Norris's first production game and it was designed more for the advanced player (hit only certain targets while completely avoiding others), and it was less approachable for a beginner for high scores.

Darn! If I'd known that I would have probably picked one of the ones at York up, wince-worthy art be damned. 'hit only certain things' is my favorite type of game.... Sadly there aren't that many

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Ah, nicee. Happen to know where I could play one?

#316 7 years ago

If you guys haven't played Bad Girls, that's another great game. Horrendous artwork, but it's got solid gameplay, and a surprisingly good sound track!

#317 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Horrendous artwork, but it's got solid gameplay, and a surprisingly good sound track!

That seems to be the a description of most 1983+ gottlieb games...

#318 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That seems to be the a description of most 1983+ gottlieb games...

Pretty much. It's a shame, because they really are diamonds in the rough. I mean, Bad Girls' soundtrack is very clearly a Michael Jackson ripoff (Song 2 is literally just an alternative version of "Another Part of Me"), and that's never a bad thing.

Diamond Lady has a really challenging set of rules, you can only hit certain card suits within the bank of targets. Since the whole table revolves around bounces and rebounds (which in this case work against the player), it requires extreme precision from the player to accomplish the goal of the game.

#319 7 years ago

I just looked at the artwork for Diamond Lady...

Definitely gives me a confidence boost for when I start working on the art for my Future Pinball game! Whatever I manage to draw... At least I'll know it's not the worst artwork ever put on a pinball game...

#320 7 years ago

Hahaha, although the art on those Gottliebs may have been strange for the time, but for me, it translates differently now! It might just be me but I never had the chance to live through the 80's so seeing art work that defines an era is just something really cool to me as a young pinball player

#321 7 years ago

Hahaha, although the art on those Gottliebs may have been strange for the time, but for me, it translates differently now! It might just be me but I never had the chance to live through the 80's so seeing art work that defines an era is just something really cool to me as a young pinball player

Heh, I always assumed it looked especially bad to me since I didn't live through the 80s

#322 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Heh, I always assumed it looked especially bad to me since I didn't live through the 80s

It's a funny bad! It's fun to look at the goofy 80's style hahaha

#323 7 years ago

It's a funny bad! It's fun to look at the goofy 80's style hahaha

Most of them, to me, are like Bally's Truck Stop: I'd be embarrassed to be seen owning it

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Most of them, to me, are like Bally's Truck Stop: I'd be embarrassed to be seen owning it

Really? I've seen far worse translites. GOT is a great game but it has a pretty boring backglass

#325 7 years ago

My go-to for bad 80s pin art is Hardbody. The first time I saw one, I thought it was some weird, potentially custom alt backlight, but no, that's just how it was made. Thank god the gameplay is so good.

#326 7 years ago

I've got an Arena and had an Excalibur for a while, and play Premier pins any chance I get - their layouts are always refreshing and unique, rather than the same old fan design.

I also find the photo translights fun. I found a non-faded version for both the Arena and Excalubur, and it made them both look 100% better.

Also, a tip for my fellow Premier owners who want to get the most out of your backglass - try putting a 'daylight' bulb in there instead of a warm white. The daylight bulbs will illuminate the art better, making the actual colors of the art 'pop', without giving it a sickly yellow tint.

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from Vongoosewink:

I've got an Arena and had an Excalibur for a while, and play Premier pins any chance I get - their layouts are always refreshing and unique, rather than the same old fan design.
I also find the photo translights fun. I found a non-faded version for both the Arena and Excalubur, and it made them both look 100% better.
Also, a tip for my fellow Premier owners who want to get the most out of your backglass - try putting a 'daylight' bulb in there instead of a warm white. The daylight bulbs will illuminate the art better, making the actual colors of the art 'pop', without giving it a sickly yellow tint.

Very cool, man. I always thought the art was fun too hahah.

#328 7 years ago

Vongoosewink Coulden't agree more! Love the different playing style on Gottliebs. Arena rules, hope to get one soon!

#329 7 years ago

That's a pretty funny topper for Spring Break.

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's a pretty funny topper for Spring Break.

Hahah I agree. I wonder who got that one? It's kind of the same thing with Laser War. The flyer had a topper but it was never mass produced, only one or two people have them!

#331 7 years ago

I like Gottlieb / Premier. They've got a lot of unique, wild, different, and strange games. They play different, but I like the way they play different. It's not my preference, but I still enjoy them. I had Hot Shots for over a year and it wasn't my most played but it was still fun and challenging every time. Spring Break was another fun one. I miss them both and regret selling them off. There is no way I'll let my Alien Star go, it's the only one I have left and the one I like the most due to the simplicity yet extreme challenge and also the art. I plan on adding another Gottlieb/Premier soon, not sure what I want, but keeping an eye out.

#332 7 years ago

Other than a couple of the translights being 'eh so-so. I have enjoyed all of them I have had the opportunity to play.

#333 7 years ago

glad to see some people got bored and this thread is trending how it should!

#334 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Some people were playing in states championship series matches and had better things to do than bitch about 90s gottliebs.

In NC the only gottlieb in our bank was 1980 buck Rogers, a great game.

I went 2-0 on it

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Lol, yeah I saw the thread a few days ago and thought, do I really need to comment? Of course people like Premier & Gottlieb. Some hate them as well. I like some of them and dislike some of them. Glad they were what they were though. Seems like they made quite a lot of games over the years. Haunted House was the first pinball machine I ever saw in the wild or got to play, and it hooked me.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Some people were playing in states championship series matches and had better things to do than bitch about 90s gottliebs.
In NC the only gottlieb in our bank was 1980 buck Rogers, a great game.
I went 2-0 on it

Shouldn't everyone ought to always have better things to do than bitch about 90s Gottliebs?!

#337 7 years ago

Had this BH for awhile now and its been great fun

IMG_1415 (resized).JPGIMG_1415 (resized).JPG

#338 7 years ago

Nice. Never played abounty hunter. Looks fun

#339 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Shouldn't everyone ought to always have better things to do than bitch about 90s Gottliebs?!

Shouldn't everyone ought to always have better things to do than waste even a single second posting here?!

Of course. But here we are.

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Shouldn't everyone ought to always have better things to do than waste even a single second posting here?!
Of course. But here we are.

Perhaps, but it's not black and white, and posting negative BS in a thread specifically created for those who like something is objectively a bigger waste of time than simply posting is. And you know it. But of course you have this image to uphold about wanting to be some kind of epic posting pinball celebrity to a bunch of nerd pinheads, talk about a waste of time!

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Perhaps, but it's not black and white, and posting negative BS in a thread specifically created for those who like something is objectively a bigger waste of time than simply posting is. And you know it. But of course you have this image to uphold about wanting to be some kind of epic posting pinball celebrity to a bunch of nerd pinheads, talk about a waste of time!

Your contributions to this thread amount to bitching about me. Congrats? Meanwhile I'm spreading the gospel of Spring Break and it's awesome sound quality.

And by the way, I didn't complain about people barging into my SF2 hating thread and spreading positivity, did I? In fact, I welcomed it, as I hold social intercourse dear to my heart.

Pinball celebrity?! I don't even have a podcast!

#342 7 years ago

Speaking of... Recbar stocked up on some gems first time playing Spring Break, KILLER game! Played it like 20 times in a row

IMG_0195 (resized).JPGIMG_0195 (resized).JPG
IMG_0197 (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (resized).JPG
IMG_0198 (resized).JPGIMG_0198 (resized).JPG

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I wasnt a fan of big hurt, but it went to a good home where he loves the game!

Oh boy, I sure do! There are some weeks where all I play is Big Hurt. I don't care about baseball in the slightest, but that game has the juice!!

I love trying for the skill shot every ball, love shooting for home runs, and the orbits are as fast and repeatable as any. The gameplay is as deep as you want it to be. Feeling on top of your game? Go for combos and repeated left orbits. Just want to bat a ball around? Go for runs and shots down the middle. As o-din says, it's an "end of the night" game.

Not to get back on comparing Gottlieb's to Williams/Bally games, but I used to have both a World Cup Soccer 94 and a Big Hurt. One of them is still here.

#344 7 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Oh boy, I sure do! There are some weeks where all I play is Big Hurt. I don't care about baseball in the slightest, but that game has the juice!!
I love trying for the skill shot every ball, love shooting for home runs, and the orbits are as fast and repeatable as any. The gameplay is as deep as you want it to be. Feeling on top of your game? Go for combos and repeated left orbits. Just want to bat a ball around? Go for runs and shots down the middle. As o-din says, it's an "end of the night" game.
Not to get back on comparing Gottlieb's to Williams/Bally games, but I used to have both a World Cup Soccer 94 and a Big Hurt. One of them is still here.

Lol, like I mentioned earlier, im not really a baseball guy...glad to hear someone else isn't either but still has interest in big hurt

#345 7 years ago

Big Hurt is fun! I love the baseball glove. It's got a good flow overall.

#346 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Nice. Never played abounty hunter. Looks fun

Ditto on the never got to play one. Looks cool. Is that a system 80B?

#347 7 years ago

I just picked up a Mario Andretti and I must say I really enjoy the game. I really like the extra stroke on the flippers and feel like they're just right for hitting those extra shots. Andretti is loaded with places to shoot and has a nice flow to it. My main complaint about it is the code is a bit of a joke. I can see why people that play competitively don't enjoy it. It would be nice if someone would come out and tweak the code a bit to fix it. The strategy in MA is really cool but the random jackpots and mystery awards ruin any chance of competition play. I was playing earlier and I'm not sure what exactly I shot but it gave me the option to trade some fuel for a super jackpot and if you say no it says it'll give you 50 million points. Now keep in mind I was playing for awhile and had around 450 million points.

I end up selecting the super jackpot and it gives me one billion fucking points! That is just retarded. A completely unearned award that is double what my current score was. What a joke.

That kind of stuff is super annoying. I bought the game to put on route so I don't really care that much but it just sucks that the game has so much potential and they added such dumb things to the rules that make it a turn off to anyone who takes pinball seriously.

I hope some rogue programmer can work their magic on it because it really would be a great deck with a little polish and balancing.

#348 7 years ago

Gottlieb made some very nice games. Had quite a few stinkers as well, mostly due to a big lack of refinement in the software department.

I own a Black Hole, Haunted House, TX-Sector, Night Moves and Street Fighter II and I like them all. TX and Black Hole are definately my favorites of the bunch. I also own a Hot Fire Birds, a machine by German brand NSM. It has a playfield designed and produced by Premier/Gottlieb inside it. My brother owns an Arena and a Surf 'n' Safari, which we enjoy immensely with a few beers on the side.

Black Hole, with a reflection of Orbitor 1 :)Black Hole, with a reflection of Orbitor 1

#349 7 years ago

Black hole is another one. I love the game play and the look, but the multiball is virtually unachievable and when you get it it is so short. When I had one my buddy and I would just load up 4 games on it and just try and get nultiball the whole time. Sometimes we'd go all night and only achieve it once or twice. It would be cool if it was a little easier because it's one of the coolest multiball in all of pinball.

Don't get me wrong I still love gottleib.

#350 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Black hole is another one. I love the game play and the look, but the multiball is virtually unachievable and when you get it it is so short. When I had one my buddy and I would just load up 4 games on it and just try and get nultiball the whole time. Sometimes we'd go all night and only achieve it once or twice. It would be cool if it was a little easier because it's one of the coolest multiball in all of pinball.
Don't get me wrong I still love gottleib.

Personally I don't think it'd be half as fun if it was easier

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-likes-premiergottlieb/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.