2800EF78-F2A8-426C-8B33-AFF7AE33E8D1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7782 (resized).jpg
20180704_171224 (resized).jpg
DBB6C15F-0E27-48F8-B51B-5EE5D2585D55 (resized).jpeg
C755F9C8-2A57-4CEC-924F-08A9E8A9B19F (resized).jpeg
899AF81E-29EA-4A2E-BD57-DA2A1723DBCB (resized).jpeg
5AB3642F-4F32-40BE-A4D7-0054CEB15907 (resized).jpeg
20191222_190724 (resized).jpg
There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.
#151 7 years ago

Class of 1812 is my favorite pinball arcade game. Never played a real one. It is a grail for me.

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont put many gottliebs out as they are way too valuable to me to get beat on route.
The ones I have put out have done EXCEPTIONALLY well. Tee'd Off in particular beat most of what you woudl call classic B/W games for 6 months straight. It only left as it was a gift for my brother. It only went on route so I could get any bug worked out before it went to him. Worth note that it had ZERO issues the entier 6 months it was on route, which also helped with earnings. It is also one of the most requested games to return form the regulars.

Man that's hard to believe. But I guess it makes sense considering the huge lines to play "Wipe Out" at all the pinball shows you also told me about.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The thing is, you don't *have* to compare them to B/W stuff. The games aren't competing against each other in the arcade space anymore, so it doesn't really matter.
Just take the games as they are and enjoy them for what they are. If they are better or worse than a different game from the same year, it doesn't really matter at this point.

I agree. This thread has nothing to do with B/W games.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I wasn't complainng that arguing about both sides is wrong to do, at all. I TOTALLY agree (and typically enjoy) arguments supporting both sides of things, etc. You guys are right, that is what a lot of this is about for all (being sincere).
However, in this case, I am trying to show respect to the OP of this thread. This does not sound like a thread created to debate good or bad (there are TONS of those) but more for people to discuss what they specifically like about 80B and SYS3 games.
I mean, guys...even the OP jumped back in and kinda asked people to basically take it somewhere else; stating "This thread is intended to recognize how fun and innovative Gottlieb concepts are..."
Maybe I'm mistaken; if so, my appologies...just how I was viewing it.

I get what you're saying, although on the other hand, having people post in this thread with complaints helps keep the discussion going. I feel like this way has been much more informative about Premiers than if it was all just people saying they love theirs and nothing else.

Also it's really nice seeing people having well thought-out *debates* on the internet. Can you believe it?!

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man that's hard to believe. But I guess it makes sense considering the huge lines to play "Wipe Out" at all the pinball shows.

CBW also did exceptionally well. ONly had that one out for a few months but it brought in about 70% of what TAF did for all 3 months it was out. Keep in mind CBW only cost 1500 compared to TAF at 5500. I know which one was the clear winner in that finacial debate, lol.

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You - and many others in this thread - are confusing the 70s and 80s with the 90s. Gottlieb games of the 70s are fantastic. Even their late 70s SS games are good - the only issue is that they were just EMs with digital scoring which seemed pretty sad and out dated compared to what Williams and Bally were putting out at the time.

Me confused? I don't think so. The thing that I find confusing is why someone is jamming up the thread with B/W cheerleading, where it clearly doesn't belong. Makes about as much sense as mentioning Data East or Capcom.

#157 7 years ago

On route I found that many people came it with preconcieved internet notions on "oh what a crappy game" Then 2 months go by and I catch them playing that crappy Teed Off or even looking to buy one for themself once it left route. Funny how in real life the cash box never lies and just watching what people play is very telling. People warm up to GTBs and then fall in love.

You rarely see them and players gravitate to them once they play a good one and learn how they are so well build and engineered. Stable beasts and are super fun and often very quique and challenging.

#158 7 years ago

Also, why are people arguing about whether or not something is considered a mod or a hack?

Just set up your games in the way you enjoy them most! If you sell it, the buyer can always change it back if they want. That's one of the reasons we buy machines instead of looking for them in the wild, we can tweak them exactly to our liking.

With that said the white mountains on Whitewater is the worst hack I've ever seen.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'll give you prolific

Implying they're not 'best'/'good'. MM does good on route, but it's a shit game.

#160 7 years ago

Jeez... So much hate on someone who'd just want to stick in a new coil stop or flipper mech to get the feel they want in a game.

That'd be like me getting mad at the guy in front of me at subway because he's getting onions on his sub, just because I don't like onions.

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Me confused? I don't think so. The thing that I find confusing is why someone is jamming up the thread with B/W cheerleading, where it clearly doesn't belong. Makes about as much sense as mentioning Data East or Capcom.

The thread started as a rebuttal to an SF2 sucks thread, so the OP knew it was coming and he doesn't seem emotionally battered as some of you people

I'm sorry let's get back on track. Where were we? Oh right, Norros, Tanzer, & Trudeau are the best designers of the 90s....continue

#162 7 years ago

Couple years ago I got a Gold Wings. Set it up in basement. While working on it a little, noticed air raid wires cut and thought I wonder why that is (never heard one before)....reconnected wires...didn't take long and I knew why they were cut. Lol.

But, I still leave it on (honestly, I Kidna like it) cuz my friends kids run downstairs wanting to play "that one!" every time they are over! (Yes, sometimes kids are interested in toys and games still to, not just pros and collectors. Lol)...all afternoon, air raid through floor boards! Fun though

Wish I had the topper for it.

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I wasn't complainng that arguing about both sides is wrong to do, at all. I TOTALLY agree (and typically enjoy) arguments supporting both sides of things, etc. You guys are right, that is what a lot of this is about for all (being sincere).
However, in this case, I am trying to show respect to the OP of this thread. This does not sound like a thread created to debate good or bad (there are TONS of those) but more for people to discuss what they specifically like about 80B and SYS3 games.
I mean, guys...even the OP jumped back in and kinda asked people to basically take it somewhere else; stating "This thread is intended to recognize how fun and innovative Gottlieb concepts are..."
Maybe I'm mistaken; if so, my appologies...just how I was viewing it.

THANK YOU. Apparently people can't read...

#164 7 years ago

It's fine and all. I welcome thoughtful posts all the time. Likewise, I'm not over in some B/W thread trying to explain why Stern or JJ machines have better draw and take in more $. That is so far removed from the title of the thread, it makes little sense. If the logic involved goes something like "I don't like Premier/Gottlieb because they don't offer the same features as a B/W from the same era." then, I don't have any issue with that post at all. That's just not what happened though.

I just don't see it's purpose in a thread such as this, other than to bash and hate. People's opinions and preconcieved notions of reality don't change with posts on an internet forum. Sorry, but that's just the way of the world and human nature.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Sorry, but that's just the way it the world exists.

Yeah we all know that...talk about taking up worthless thread space. Or did you really think you were dropping some knowledge there?

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man that's hard to believe. But I guess it makes sense considering the huge lines to play "Wipe Out" at all the pinball shows you also told me about.

If you like bashing a Toys R' Us toy senselessly in the middle of the playfield every time you play pinball, be my guest. I find that a common characteristic of late 90's Bally/Williams and it's super easy. You get like a million points for launching the ball in Attack from Mars. (I know I'm exaggerating) but if you wanna trash Wipe Out, I'll play Devil's advocate. Btw I love Attack from Mars but it's true.

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Norros, Tanzer, & Trudeau are the best designers of the 90s....continue

Ok, I agree about Trudeau. Just think if he had a B/W budget to work with instead of the bare-bones Got. one he had for years... Oh wait, that's exactly what happened. Boom!

If Got. games stunk so bad, why would B/W hire one of their game designers to work for them-->

#168 7 years ago

I grew up playing Monte Carlo in the local Sevvy - some 30 years later, I have one of my own! Love Gottlieb & Premier so much. They were really great innovators! Hard to believe all those wonderful machines were created by one guy.

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Ok, I agree about Trudeau. Just think if he had a B/W budget to work with instead of the bare-bones Got. one he had for years... Oh wait, that's exactly what happened. Boom!

I don't think it was Trudeau's budget that was the problem. BOM, etc on Gottliebs is pretty high. They probably have the highest BOM of any manufacturer pre-JJP, I'd bet

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

BOM, etc on Gottliebs is pretty high.

Agree. It's hard not to admire the amount of engineering prowess went into games like Wipeout, Operation Thunder, or Shaq Attack, with the latter having a giant bubble covering a moving basket with playfield displays.

It's a shame they had to do all their development in parallel. I think that's what really killed them. Hell, the designer still wouldn't know what the coding would be like until they were about to ship it. You look at a game like Gladiators and the story behind it. Imagine how excellent of a game it'd be if they stuck with the original theme, and really hashed out decent rules.

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It's a shame they had to do all their development in parallel.

Incredibly!

Quoted from mbaumle:You look at a game like Gladiators and the story behind it

What story is that?

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Agree. It's hard not to admire the amount of engineering prowess went into games like Wipeout, Operation Thunder, or Shaq Attack, with the latter having a giant bubble covering a moving basket with playfield displays.
It's a shame they had to do all their development in parallel. I think that's what really killed them. Hell, the designer still wouldn't know what the coding would be like until they were about to ship it. You look at a game like Gladiators and the story behind it. Imagine how excellent of a game it'd be if they stuck with the original theme, and really hashed out decent rules.

Ha no kidding on Wipeout! I look at the ski left mech, the slalom mech, etc and am just amazed.

#174 7 years ago

NICE, I see that Gladiators. I don't even own a Gottlieb Premier game but I love them. I love all pins of every company!

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Ha no kidding on Wipeout! I look at the ski left mech, the slalom mech, etc and am just amazed.

YES! What other pin has something like that?!

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Someone should retheme it back to Legend of Zelda, actually.

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Someone should retheme it back to Legend of Zelda, actually.

I agree. I think the limiting factor would be a software rewrite though. There's so little documentation on the System 3 boardset, I'd think it'd be tough to get someone to rewrite rules and dot matrix animations.

I'd love to see a modern manufacturer tackle the theme and design a game around it. I think it'd probably be pretty popular as well.

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

If you like bashing a Toys R' Us toy senselessly in the middle of the playfield every time you play pinball, be my guest. I find that a common characteristic of late 90's Bally/Williams and it's super easy. You get like a million points for launching the ball in Attack from Mars.e.

LOL. Like many before you you have no idea how to play Attack From Mars.

You keep shooting up the middle and I will beat you 100% of the time.

The AFM code is amazing and not a single Premeir game's code deserves to smell its' shit.

Seriously, stick with the "unique layout angle" because comparing Premier's amateur hour code with the WPC stuff isn't gonna get you anywhere.

#180 7 years ago

I had a gottlieb big hurt realy liked it,
played verry nice kinda miss it

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I don't think it was Trudeau's budget that was the problem. BOM, etc on Gottliebs is pretty high. They probably have the highest BOM of any manufacturer pre-JJP, I'd bet

I'd agree - the games don't FEEL cheap, except for maybe the amateur hour dots many of the games have. Some of the stuff, like the moving habitrail in Waterworld, or the ski lift in Wipeout, are clever and don't seem particularly expensive or complicated.

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The AFM code is amazing and not a single Premeir game's code deserves to smell its shit.
Seriously, stick with the "unique layout angle" because comparing Premier's amateur hour code with the WPC stuff isn't gonna get you anywhere.

You have the complete consumer mind when it comes to pinball. If you don't like Gottlieb, get out. Quit wasting our time. Your hits at Gottlieb are frivolous and no one here gives a flying shit.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The AFM code is amazing and not a single Premeir game's code deserves to smell its shit.

It's obvious that WPCs are hi-tech for the time when compared to Gottlieb. Does it make a better game? That's a personal opinion

#184 7 years ago

It's obvious that WPCs are hi-tech for the time when compared to Gottlieb. Does it make a better game? That's a personal opinion

Thanks for explaining what an opinion is. I think most of us know the difference of a value judgement and a fact.

Yes, to me, and everybody else, WPCs are better games than gottliebs.

I have yet to see anybody in this or any other thread declare, that en masse, game for game, 90s Premier games are better than WPC games, and I'd be pretty surprised if anybody actually held that opinion (beyond maybe George Riley?!)

Are you willing to state that this is your opinion? If $$$ weren't an issue and you couldn't sell the games, would you rather have every 90s Premier or every 90s WPC game?

Think carefully. The world is watching!

#185 7 years ago

Sys3 boards are actually more 'hi-tech' than WPC in pretty much every way. Dedicated DMD processor, FETs instead of regular transistors, etc etc.

#186 7 years ago

I read through this thread and think to myself, man these are the same pathetic "PS vs Xbox" fanboys, except its "WMS vs GTB." Just as pathetic. We get there are those of you that dont like them. Doesnt mean you have to convince the rest of the world to not like them either. Get over it.

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thanks for explaining what an opinion is. I think most of us know the difference of a value judgement and a fact.
Yes, to me, and everybody else, WPCs are better games than gottliebs.
I have yet to see anybody in this or any other thread declare, that en masse, game for game, 90s Premier games are better than WPC games.
Are you willing to state that this is your opinion? If $$$ weren't an issue and you couldn't sell the games, would you rather have every 90s Premier or every 90s WPC game?
Think carefully. The world is watching!

You obviously can't read. The thread specifically asks for who here on Pinside happens to like Gottlieb/Premier pinball machines. How calculating right?? Please quit embarrassing yourself. Nowhere did I specify that I wanted to compare companies. READ, it is important so you don't make an embarrassment of yourself. You're too old for this, man.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I read through this thread and think to myself, man these are the same pathetic "PS vs Xbox" fanboys, except its "WMS vs GTB." Just as pathetic. We get there are those of you that dont like them. Doesnt mean you have to convince the rest of the world to not like them either. Get over it.

Exactly! I didn't ask for a comparison thread hahah

#189 7 years ago

Well pinball-dood????!!!!

If all games had cost as not relavent at all, wouldn't you want exactly the same thing as everyone else and take a total shit on people that want different????? Or at least tell them why they are wrong; with their main defense being that they are allowed to??

Huh!!! Why won't you like my games and ONLY mine and ONLY for the reason I say???!!!

Brother

People need to stop their seagull impersonation...

#190 7 years ago

Comparisons are fun though! Creates objective conversation rather than something that's subjective.

Quoted from zacaj:

Sys3 boards are actually more 'hi-tech' than WPC in pretty much every way. Dedicated DMD processor, FETs instead of regular transistors,

Literally thinking the exact same thing. I'm pretty impressed with the System 3 board set. They have extended switch and lamp matrices, too. Look at Cactus Jack's, and the amount of lamps they used just for the hell of it. No other reason than to give the player a good light show.

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Well pinball-dood????!!!!
If all games had cost as not relavent at all, wouldn't you want exactly the same thing as everyone else and take a total shit on people that want different????? Or at least tell them why they are wrong; with their main defense being that they are allowed to??
Huh!!! Why won't you like my games and ONLY mine and ONLY for the reason I say???!!!
Brother
People need to stop their seagull impersonation...

Hahah! Precisely

#192 7 years ago

Actually you did.

It's obvious that WPCs are hi-tech for the time when compared to Gottlieb. Does it make a better game?

You SPECIFICALLY ASKED if it - being WPCs' supposed higher tech - makes for a better game.

The answer I gave was "yes," and then, naturally, I asked for your opinion. And then you started melting down, telling me I can't read, and saying only idiots want to compare companies.

Come on bro, we are all friends here. But don't ask questions you don't want answered, stop trying to say Premier games are good when there's not a single person here who would take a collection of those turds over a collection of WPC games, and stop trying to pretend that you don't think this thread is a proper place for this kind of discussion and comparison.

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Comparisons are fun though! Creates objective conversation rather than something that's subjective.

Literally thinking the exact same thing. I'm pretty impressed with the System 3 board set. They have extended switch and lamp matrices, too. Look at Cactus Jack's, and the amount of lamps they used just for the hell of it. No other reason than to give the player a good light show.

I see! I am not trying attack Williams/Bally though. I own two Williams! I love them to death! It's just hilarious because it's apparently forbidden to like Gottlieb.

#194 7 years ago

I see! I am not trying attack Williams/Bally though. I own two Williams! I love them to death! It's just hilarious because it's apparently forbidden to like Gottlieb.

It's not forbidden. Knock yourself out.

If you haven't noticed - and judging by your responses, you haven't - I've even praised some aspects of Premier's output in this thread. It's allowed!

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Actually you did.

You SPECIFICALLY ASKED if it - being WPCs' supposed higher tech - makes for a better game.
The answer I gave was "yes," and then, naturally, I asked for your opinion. And then you started melting down, telling me I can't read, and saying only idiots want to compare companies.
Come on bro, we are all friends here. But don't ask questions you don't want answered, stop trying to say Premier games are good when there's not a single person here who would take a collection of those turds over a collection of WPC games, and stop trying to pretend that you don't think this thread is a proper place for this kind of discussion and comparison.

It states nowhere that I want comparisons.

IMG_0189 (resized).PNGIMG_0189 (resized).PNG

#196 7 years ago

I see! I am not trying attack Williams/Bally though.

I'm just saying that accepting dissenting opinions makes for good conversation here, even if it's a Gottlieb/Premier love-fest.

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's not forbidden. Knock yourself out.
If you haven't noticed - and judging by your responses, you haven't - I've even praised some aspects of Premier's output in this thread. It's allowed!

Dude, I think you're super cool and yes I have noticed! You're the only one trolling on here though. I wanted to hear from people who have the games and like them.

#198 7 years ago

Op - you wont get a happy thread here apparently. I think earlier post was right, best thing would maybe be to join/start thread for a club of these...best you can do here is continue at others level of argue and debate.

I like some pins by just about all and have owned my share of them, but had hoped to discuss premier items here ....

I'm going to go see if there is a thread specific about liking B/W and see if people are happt for me to keep posting about my love for my Victory machine

#199 7 years ago

Is it time for a "Safe Space" subforum?

I'd support it!

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can we compare them to B and C list games?
There's not a single 90s premier game as good as Demo Man, T2, NBA Fastbreak, Corvette, Doctor Who, BSD, Dirty Harry, Jackbot, Gilligan's Island...uhh...Popeye?

Man oh man, you have shitty opinions. And you're constantly jamming them down everyone else's throat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-likes-premiergottlieb/page/4?hl=striker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.