By Pinball-DOOD

3 months ago

Stats

• Started 3 months ago
  • 745 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by Colsond3

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

IMG_20170521_162714_722 (resized).jpg
IMG_0713 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3639 (resized).JPG
IMG_3634 (resized).JPG
20170514_212035 (resized).jpg
20170505_212226 (resized).jpg
20170505_212218 (resized).jpg
20170505_212213 (resized).jpg
20170505_212211 (resized).jpg

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

There are 745 posts in topic. You are on page 11 of 15.
#501 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, that's the Tournament mode switch that has freeplay as an option. But when in standard settings there doesn't seem to be free play available. The problem is you can't "Fine Tune" the game adjustments (lots more options) in Tournament mode.

you shoudl be able to select tounament mode "no" and free play "yes"

#502 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, that's the Tournament mode switch that has freeplay as an option. But when in standard settings there doesn't seem to be free play available. The problem is you can't "Fine Tune" the game adjustments (lots more options) in Tournament mode.

If I recall, that was the same problem I found ob my Freddy....freeplay in tournament mode only.

I actually was fine with coin (I like putting coins in my home machines), but have no experience with the giant electronic coin mech in my machine. It seems like it does nothing at all. My machine is french and I have some francs to put thru it, but it doesn't work.

Anybody have any advice on these?? Thanks

#503 3 months ago

There are coin settings in the adjustments to set the country and coin type. Maybe that needs to be set?

#504 3 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

If I recall, that was the same problem I found ob my Freddy....freeplay in tournament mode only.

Yup, my Wipe Out and Rescue 911 seemed to be the same and I just confirmed it. Free play is only available with the Tournament switch turned on.

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/#free

#505 3 months ago

Some of my favorite games are gottlieb premier. Unlike other pins they have a quality about them that's hard to describe. They are slightly goofy, a bit more cartoonish, have more humorish callouts,the rules are deep enough that the games are challenging yet not so deep that it takes weeks of play to figure out what to shoot for next. The designers didn't take themselves or the games too seriously. They're just super fun games to play.

#506 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

There are coin settings in the adjustments to set the country and coin type. Maybe that needs to be set?

I thought I went thru all that, but I will check it out. Thank you.

If I remember right, no matter how many times I drop coins, nothing happens. Are these giant electronic coin mechs standard for all sys3 games?

Also, top right of inside coin door pic, you can see the tournament mode switch (just in case someone didn't know where it was, but I'm sure you all do).

Thanks

KIMG1705 (resized).jpg

KIMG1708 (resized).jpg

#507 3 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Are these giant electronic coin mechs standard for all sys3 games?

I've only owned two Sys 3 games and neither had that coin mech. I'm am not familiar enough with mechs to know what to do with that.

#508 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I've only owned two Sys 3 games and neither had that coin mech. I'm am not familiar enough with mechs to know what to do with that.

That's what I wondered. I dont think my big hurt has anything other than 2 standard quarter mechs.

This has this one big electronic one that takes 3 different coins...kind of reminds me of a digital version of the old jukebox mechs.

I can take better pics if anyone needs them or can help. This is the only one of these I've come across.

#509 3 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

That's what I wondered. I dont think my big hurt has anything other than 2 standard quarter mechs.
This has this one big electronic one that takes 3 different coins...kind of reminds me of a digital version of the old jukebox mechs.
I can take better pics if anyone needs them or can help. This is the only one of these I've come across.

pretty sure that is a foriegn coin mech. I think they still use those in UK?

#510 3 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

pretty sure that is a foriegn coin mech. I think they still use those in UK?

Interesting, I'll have to try to do more digging...sure would have been nice to have tech info on that setup..

Are everyone's sys3 mechs here standard mechanical or are they electronic? Like opto mechs.

Sorry, I'll try to get back on topic, I just thought this seemed like best place to ask what others were like.

Thanks guys.

#511 3 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

This thread shows and explains exactly what coin mech you have along with a link to the manual and other good info.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=289993

#512 3 months ago

Thanks PoMC!!

#514 3 months ago

This literally just arrived in the mail a few minutes ago. For $6 I couldn't pass it up to put somewhere on Wipe Out.

20170216_104313 (resized).jpg

#515 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

This literally just arrived in the mail a few minutes ago. For $6 I couldn't pass it up to put somewhere on Wipe Out.

That little guy is awesome!
where did you get him?

Edit... Ebay hot dog ornament, its a hallmark, very cool!

#516 3 months ago

Yup!

20170216_104249 (resized).jpg

#517 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

This thread shows and explains exactly what coin mech you have along with a link to the manual and other good info.
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=289993

Downloaded manual and started to read...I realize I'm from the midwest, but certainly this was a typo...lmao

Check out their new line from CORN controls

20170216_103911 (resized).jpg

#518 3 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Are these giant electronic coin mechs standard for all sys3 games?

For foreign games, yes. Domestic games used two standard coin mechs for quarters.

#519 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, my Wipe Out and Rescue 911 seemed to be the same and I just confirmed it. Free play is only available with the Tournament switch turned on.
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/#free

So was i right about having to wait on the ball on Wipeout if you have it on freeplay?

#520 3 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I thought I went thru all that, but I will check it out. Thank you.
If I remember right, no matter how many times I drop coins, nothing happens. Are these giant electronic coin mechs standard for all sys3 games?
Also, top right of inside coin door pic, you can see the tournament mode switch (just in case someone didn't know where it was, but I'm sure you all do).
Thanks

Nice key chain! You a fan of the movies too?

#521 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yup!

Very cool addition!

#522 3 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Has anybody here ever played night moves? I almost bought one (twice) for the hell of it, but seemed like it may get old fast...haven't played it myself to actually say that though.

Night Moves is Awesome! Best music in pinball IMO. I think that there are some scoring problems (double your score?) and I wish there were some different things that were scored higher ("Switch" balls should be worth more than 10,000 and multiball has no jackpots or point multipliers).

As a cocktail table you can sometimes convince a loved one that it can go in the living room and you suddenly have room for one more pin!

#523 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Nice key chain! You a fan of the movies too?

Heck ya! I think it's really cool that the pin has features/references from several of the movies (well, the ones that were out then).

I'll admit, around Halloween they were doing a Nightmare marathon on tv. My tv was on from A.M. thru whole eve; and when I heard a line or saw a scene that the pin tied into, I got bounce off the walls excited. Lol

#524 3 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

So was i right about having to wait on the ball on Wipeout if you have it on freeplay?

That does seem to be the case.

#525 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

That does seem to be the case.

I thought so ... i had that game for a while and that was definitely one of tge annoying things i remember about it...

#526 3 months ago

Here's where I put the Hot Dogger.

20170216_171328 (resized).jpg

20170216_171322 (resized).jpg

20170216_171334 (resized).jpg

#527 3 months ago

I love it on Big Hurt when I get the "OUT!" animation from the umpire (although he kinda looks like he's motioning safe in that animation), but ball save gets me back in the game--it's like instant replay overturned his call. Look how forward-thinking Gottlieb was with that!

#528 3 months ago

Awesome place for the hot dogger! Just played a few games of gladiators and wipeout with the kid. Beast slayer once, but the other 4 games i didnt get past 100 million. Wipeout i was more just watching him play. Good times!

#529 3 months ago

Interesting thread. I have a question for those with more Premier experience. I've been intrigued a bit about the "street level" pins they made. I've seen video of most of them, but tried none. Just wanted some opinions on which were decent players.

The six games that fall in this category are: #silver-slugger, #vegas, #deadly-weapon, #title-fight, #car-hop, and #hoops.

#530 3 months ago
Quoted from DennisK:

I've been intrigued a bit about the "street level" pins they made.

Used to play a Title Fight for a league and it's a pretty fun game actually. Lots of work in the, for lack of a better term, upper left playfield which is kind of cool. Unique layout kind of like tag team.
It def seems older than a 1990 because it's stripped down and audio...but you could just as easily see that as a good thing.

#531 3 months ago

For whatever reason Lights, Camera, Action is one of the few Premier games that I actually enjoy. I should have picked up the one local for 1.2k the topper was intact and nice playfield, it disappeared pretty fast. I think it's a cool game.

#532 3 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Heck ya! I think it's really cool that the pin has features/references from several of the movies (well, the ones that were out then).
I'll admit, around Halloween they were doing a Nightmare marathon on tv. My tv was on from A.M. thru whole eve; and when I heard a line or saw a scene that the pin tied into, I got bounce off the walls excited. Lol

Dude, hell yeah! AMC Fear Fest! I have all of the Nightmares on DVD though Dream Warriors is my favorite! Love how Gottlieb added an illustration of Freddy when he turns into the TV set and says "It's prime time, bitch!" Hahah classic

#533 3 months ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Interesting thread. I have a question for those with more Premier experience. I've been intrigued a bit about the "street level" pins they made. I've seen video of most of them, but tried none. Just wanted some opinions on which were decent players.
The six games that fall in this category are: Silver Slugger, Vegas, Deadly Weapon, Title Fight, Car Hop, and Hoops.

The Street Level games are boatloads of fun! Played a Hoops, Vegas, Title Fight, Car Hop, and Deadly Weapon at Pinsburg! Super good flow and real fast! Title Fight was super fast and the back box feature was like a nod to the old EM Gottlieb animated backboxes, real fun!

#534 3 months ago

Highly addicting pins right here

IMG_2173 (resized).JPG

IMG_2174 (resized).JPG

IMG_2177 (resized).JPG

IMG_2184 (resized).JPG

IMG_2201 (resized).JPG

IMG_2204 (resized).JPG

IMG_2209 (resized).JPG

IMG_2213 (resized).JPG

IMG_2212 (resized).JPG

#535 3 months ago

Highly addicting pins right here

Nice selection of em! Cool.

#536 3 months ago

Title Fight has a way fun and super unique playfield layout! I love the "round house" section in the upper right hand side. So much fun to make repeated shots. It's got a fun little mini playfield on the upper left. And the upper cut loop is also satisfying. It has flow in the most not ordinary way possible.

#537 3 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Nice selection of em! Cool.

Thanks! The art on Deadly Weapon is mesmerizing, so much detail

#538 3 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Title Fight has a way fun and super unique playfield layout! I love the "round house" section in the upper right hand side. So much fun to make repeated shots. It's got a fun little mini playfield on the upper left. And the upper cut loop is also satisfying. It has flow in the most not ordinary way possible.

Exactly! That round house to top right was my favorite haha I got it going 9 times in a row. Fun shot!

#539 3 months ago

Wow, from reading this thread I've learned about a whole bunch of cool games I've never heard of before. I just looked up a video of Car Hop and I think it looks pretty cool! I love retro themes like that (Diner and Creature both being favorites of mine), and it seems like it would make for a fun multiplayer game. It's crazy a game like that was released in 1990 though! You gotta wonder how Gottlieb thought it could possible compete with games like Diner... That kind of thing just makes these game a bit more interesting though. It's nice to see them getting some love today, even just a little, when they were probably universally hated when they first came out.

#540 3 months ago
Quoted from mystman12:

You gotta wonder how Gottlieb thought it could possible compete with games like Diner...

To be fair...
Car hop: 1k sold
Diner: 3.5k sold
Car hop dev time: probably 3-4 months
Diner dev time: probably 9-12 months?

(times all very rough from random hearsay and conjecture, but)
If you've got a year to make machines, and you can make 3-4 they'll each sell 1k+ and one might be a surprise hit, or you can make a single game that'll probably sell 2-3k+...

#541 3 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

To be fair...
Car hop: 1k sold
Diner: 3.5k sold
Car hop dev time: probably 3-4 months
Diner dev time: probably 9-12 months?
(times all very rough from random hearsay and conjecture, but)
If you've got a year to make machines, and you can make 3-4 they'll each sell 1k+ and one might be a surprise hit, or you can make a single game that'll probably sell 2-3k+...

Yeah, that is a good point. Any idea how much Car Hop originally cost vs. a game like Diner? It wouldn't surprise me if Gottlieb wasn't trying to compete directly with Bally/Williams, but instead trying to pump out cheaper games that would sell for that simple reason- Being cheaper.

Also kind of interesting is that, despite Premier's significantly shorter development times, in 1990 Bally/Williams produced about twice as many games as Premier! Kind of gives you an idea at how few teams Gottlieb must have had in comparison at the time.

#542 3 months ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

Night Moves is Awesome! Best music in pinball IMO. I think that there are some scoring problems (double your score?) and I wish there were some different things that were scored higher ("Switch" balls should be worth more than 10,000 and multiball has no jackpots or point multipliers).
As a cocktail table you can sometimes convince a loved one that it can go in the living room and you suddenly have room for one more pin!

Hah... Night Moves is actually the only pin allowed in my living room... by myself. I don't like the 'loud' presence of a regular pin in my living room. Living space is quite scarce in an old Amsterdam city apartment. For that, I like to keep my pins in the game room downstairs. But Night Moves is the exception. It looks and feels like part of the furniture. Not sure if my downstairs neighbor feels the same way.

Great game. I'd like it even more if there were different scoring rules in multiball.

IMG_20170217_090059.jpg

#543 3 months ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Hah... Night Moves is actually the only pin allowed in my living room... by myself. I don't like the 'loud' presence of a regular pin in my living room. Living space is quite scarce in an old Amsterdam city apartment. For that, I like to keep my pins in the game room downstairs. But Night Moves is the exception. It looks and feels like part of the furniture. Not sure if my downstairs neighbor feels the same way.
Great game. I'd like it even more if there were different scoring rules in multiball.

Fancy

#544 3 months ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Wow, from reading this thread I've learned about a whole bunch of cool games I've never heard of before. I just looked up a video of Car Hop and I think it looks pretty cool! I love retro themes like that (Diner and Creature both being favorites of mine), and it seems like it would make for a fun multiplayer game. It's crazy a game like that was released in 1990 though! You gotta wonder how Gottlieb thought it could possible compete with games like Diner... That kind of thing just makes these game a bit more interesting though. It's nice to see them getting some love today, even just a little, when they were probably universally hated when they first came out.

I'm glad it's informing you about some of these amazing pins, man! People are just not exposed to these Premier pins because of such low production runs so what they do see on the internet is just people bashing on them! They then just assume that no one likes them. To haters, you can't hate a pin without giving it the chance! Car hop is awesome! Wonderful flow and a great multiplayer pin, played for hours with my brother

#545 3 months ago

IMG_0216 (resized).JPG

#546 3 months ago

Ever think about removing the red film over the DMD? I've done that on Wipe Out and Rescue 911 and I think it's a big improvement.

#547 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Ever think about removing the red film over the DMD? I've done that on Wipe Out and Rescue 911 and I think it's a big improvement.

Didn't know you could! Is the display orange?

#548 3 months ago

Didn't know you could! Is the display orange?

They're normal orange plasma DMDs. Be interesting to put a stern red led dmd in...

#549 3 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

They're normal orange plasma DMDs. Be interesting to put a stern red led dmd in...

Definitely would haha

#550 3 months ago

Sometimes the orange fits a particular game better than the red. I've got orange on the Gladiators but kept the red on Big Hurt. I think the red looks real sharp on Stargate and Rescue 911, but I like the orange better on Wipeout. Couldn't tell ya why!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
$ 28.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 35.00
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
RPGCor
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 55.00
Apparel - Unisex
Double Danger Pinball
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Double Danger Pinball
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 46.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 74.99
$ 49.95
$ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Tim's Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Double Danger Pinball
$ 74.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 745 posts in topic. You are on page 11 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.