2800EF78-F2A8-426C-8B33-AFF7AE33E8D1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7782 (resized).jpg
20180704_171224 (resized).jpg
DBB6C15F-0E27-48F8-B51B-5EE5D2585D55 (resized).jpeg
C755F9C8-2A57-4CEC-924F-08A9E8A9B19F (resized).jpeg
899AF81E-29EA-4A2E-BD57-DA2A1723DBCB (resized).jpeg
5AB3642F-4F32-40BE-A4D7-0054CEB15907 (resized).jpeg
20191222_190724 (resized).jpg

There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.
#1 7 years ago

Due to so many posts I saw hating on Gottlieb, I wanted to know how many people here like Premier Gottliebs?(system 80b and system 3) Most of them I played are badass and I just don't see how one could not like them? I don't want reasons why you hate it because I've heard just about every reason ever on here. Who loves Gottlieb?! It's like no one talks about them on here...

#2 7 years ago

Many system80 collectors on here.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Due to so many posts I saw hating on Gottlieb, I wanted to know how many people here like Premier Gottliebs?(system 80b and system 3) Most of them I played are badass and I just don't see how one could not like them? I don't want reasons why you hate it because I've heard just about every reason ever on here. Who loves Gottlieb?! It's like no one talks about them on here...

Glad to here you got some. I mean I own only solid state Williams games and two Gottlieb EMs, but I love the premier Gottliebs. Fun as hell

#4 7 years ago

80s and 90s gottliebs have some really cool 'alternate' layouts. They're not about flow at all. I love how they've just got this whole separate design discipline completely diverged from the standard layout norms

#5 7 years ago

I have a Premier Hot Shots. Actually a fun game - has drop targets, ramps, multi-ball and an outlane kickback. Plays pretty fast. Also has a ball accelerator - like the old Hot Wheels car type with two motorized wheels that shoots the ball faster on the top ramp shot. Lots of crazy circus sounds and voice call outs. The only real negative is the crappy translite picture.

#6 7 years ago

in the past 2 years MANY people have gotten over the BS status quo opinions and realized Gottlieb made some of the best games out there. Sure, they cheaped out on cabinet quality, but they made up for it in great engineering, design, unique layouts, $$$$ invested into audio, and shear volume of cool titles.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

they cheaped out on cabinet quality

Really? They seem to have the most solid cabinets out there

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

in the past 2 years MANY people have gotten over the BS status quo opinions and realized Gottlieb made some of the best games out there. Sure, they cheaped out on cabinet quality, but they made up for it in great engineering, design, unique layouts, $$$$ invested into audio, and shear volume of cool titles.

Very true! But yeah man I think they had some of the toughest cabinets though

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That's what I thought!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Newport-Bill:

I have a Premier Hot Shots. Actually a fun game - has drop targets, ramps, multi-ball and an outlane kickback. Plays pretty fast. Also has a ball accelerator - like the old Hot Wheels car type with two motorized wheels that shoots the ball faster on the top ramp shot. Lots of crazy circus sounds and voice call outs. The only real negative is the crappy translite picture.

Haha great game, dude I love the translate hahah so 80's. Paints a picture of the decade.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

80s and 90s gottliebs have some really cool 'alternate' layouts. They're not about flow at all. I love how they've just got this whole separate design discipline completely diverged from the standard layout norms

That's what I'm saying!

#12 7 years ago

I like all pinball...

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I like all pinball...

AMEN, who doesn't like playing a pinball machine???

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

He might be talking about the terrible late 80s/early 90s cabinet with that chintzy backglass removal hinge and shitty rails. The late 90s ones seem fine, if WAY too damn big and tall.

All the other stuff whysnow is talking about..."cool titles, $$$$$ invested in sound, unique layouts"....uh, not really feeling it. The sound was terrible on all of those games compared to other manufacturers during the entire digital era, the layouts may have been "unique" but they sucked, and the titles didn't seem particularly cool to me. But I'm glad someone is enjoying these games.

The System 3 games certainly are affordable, reliable, and generally well engineered.

#15 7 years ago

Very true! But yeah man I think they had some of the toughest cabinets though

they used particle or compressed board or whatever you call it, it some games (not sure of the actual date/split). They are heavy and solid but susceptible to moisture causing swelling.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The sound was terrible on all of those games compared to other manufacturers during the entire digital era, the layouts may have been "unique" but they sucked, and the titles didn't seem particularly cool to me. But I'm glad someone is enjoying these games.

Yep, for the most part the sounds and music on these games were pretty bad, with a few exceptions.. TX sector sounds pretty cool with its 8-bit tunes, and Class of 1812's chickens doing the 1812 Overture is something very unique. Otherwise the sounds and tunes are bad and repetitive.

Quoted from Whysnow:

they used particle or compressed board or whatever you call it, it some games (not sure of the actual date/split). They are heavy and solid but susceptible to moisture causing swelling.

yea those are the cabs where you start to leave pieces of the game at every show you drag it to. I think there's bits of Matt's Monaco scattered all over Ohio and KY...

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

not really feeling it.

Quoted from metallik:

were pretty bad, with a few exceptions.

I think you guys missed it that this thread was asking for people that liked them... lol

Gottlieb invested in sound quality and it shows. It was also part of the reason they failed... you cant hear pins on location in a loud arcade so it was a silly investment for the BOM. The quality of audio quality and uniqueness in gottliebs is better for every era acrossed the board.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think you guys missed it that this thread was asking for people that liked them... lol
Gottlieb invested in sound quality and it shows. It was also part of the reason they failed... you cant hear pins on location in a loud arcade so it was a silly investment for the BOM. The quality of audio quality and uniqueness in gottliebs is better for every era acrossed the board.

I liked playing them, just get tired of them quickly. Will always play 1812 when I can. PAPA HQ is an awesome place to get your fill of these games. As for the sound, music is art and art is divisive I'll give the Sys3 games props for sounding like a Sega Genesis.. reminds me of shmups. You have to agree the default sounds on some games gets highly irritating.. "Shoot the pyramid!" "You shore need that ramp shot!" etc

#19 7 years ago

I really like my Lights Camera Action. Not a game you see too often, and for a game built in 1989, it has a pretty deep mode based ruleset, a neat rotating ramp that changes the dynamics of the playfield, backbox animation, and a wicked topper. It just has piles of features.

Those damn mystery rewards are butt cheeks when playing with multiple people though. What an unbalanced game it makes for...

#20 7 years ago

Huge fan. They advanced the artform!

#21 7 years ago

I do! Surf 'n Safari 4 life!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

"Shoot the pyramid!"

As I always tell people, if it's telling you that so much it annoys you... maybe you should shoot the pyramid. It *really* doesn't say it that often. Plus you can just turn it off if you're that picky.

Stargate has some of my favorite sounds of any pinball machine. So many cool little effects. Love the sound as the ball rolls down the wireforms

Quoted from mbaumle:

What an unbalanced game it makes for...

The biggest problem with later Gottliebs, it seems. No balance to the rules at all because of their tight production schedule

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

uniqueness in gottliebs is better for every era acrossed the board.

I've said it a million times..."uniqueness" is not a trait that = "good" in pinball. People always clamor for innovation, but when they get it, it's usually terrible.

See: Every video/pinball combo ever, goofy flipper arrangements, punchy the clown etc.

Again...I'm glad you like 'em!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I really like my Lights Camera Action. Not a game you see too often, and for a game built in 1989, it has a pretty deep mode based ruleset, a neat rotating ramp that changes the dynamics of the playfield, backbox animation, and a wicked topper. It just has piles of features.
Those damn mystery rewards are butt cheeks when playing with multiple people though. What an unbalanced game it makes for...

I had a LCA. Sold it to my brother. Two things I hated about it. 1) The overhead lights gave horrible glare when they were on and 2) the cards and hands don't make any sense with theme. I had read they changed it.

The mystery awards do make a competitive game impossible, along with stealing the high score.

#25 7 years ago

People say they hate Gottlieb all the time yet at every convention I've been to there have been lines for them and no other game. The concepts Gottlieb had were cool as hell. Not the typical pinball themes.

#26 7 years ago

People say they hate Gottlieb all the time yet at every convention I've been to there have been lines for them and no other game.

This is something you dreamed and doesn't actually happen in real life.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

As I always tell people, if it's telling you that so much it annoys you... maybe you should shoot the pyramid. It *really* doesn't say it that often. Plus you can just turn it off if you're that picky.
Stargate has some of my favorite sounds of any pinball machine. So many cool little effects. Love the sound as the ball rolls down the wireforms

The biggest problem with later Gottliebs, it seems. No balance to the rules at all because of their tight production schedule

Agreed stargate is a favorite game. The sounds, art, shot layout, and innovation is top notch. It also obviously helped set the foundation for DEEP code!

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Happened at Pinsburg when I was playing a Freddy and a TX Sector. Why the hell would I make that up?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Happens all the time. Commonly the most played games at shows ime.

#30 7 years ago

Stargate is still one of my top 10 favorites. Gottlieb has some pretty good toys in their games. Layouts are unique, and the games are built better than ANYONE else. But a lot of rules are lacking. If they could get a rules overhaul. some could be made great.

#31 7 years ago

They're strange and little seen games. Everyone sees MM, TZ, and AF everywhere. Revolutionary games! But it's cool to see other pins for a change

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Yup. I read that in Jon Norris's blog. A real shame, since they had such unique playfield designs that were squandered with poor rules and hardly any ROM updates.

Still, I like them. Just enough quirk for me to stay interested.

#33 7 years ago

I've owned both Statgate and Big Hurt... Stargate didn't do much for me but Big Hurt did! Flipper mod is a must with that era of Gottleib.

BLack Hole is on an entirely different level!

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I've owned both Statgate and Big Hurt... Stargate didn't do much for me but Big Hurt did! Flipper mod is a must with that era of Gottleib.
BLack Hole is on an entirely different level!

What flipper mod?

#35 7 years ago

To use that cargument, just like Chrysler products, Gottlieb has always had a place in the pinball world.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, he's right, many people never see these games except at shows, so people line up to play them when they can.

I'll give the whole library a run through when I can, always fun to play Rock or SNS or (gawd) Cactus Jacks (yeeeEEE HAW!) Unlimited room, I'd own em all.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No, he's right, many people never see these games except at shows, so people line up to play them when they can.
I'll give the whole library a run through when I can, always fun to play Rock or SNS or (gawd) Cactus Jacks (yeeeEEE HAW!) Unlimited room, I'd own em all.

EXACTLY! I dont make stuff up! I tell it how I see it

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To use that cargument, just like Chrysler products, Gottlieb has always had a place in the pinball world.

Good point, I mean they did invent the flipper

#39 7 years ago

I love my Gottlieb games and don't understand the bashing that some people engage in. I own Hollywood Heat, Rock, Street Fighter 2, and Stargate. They have all been lots of fun and very reliable, trouble-free games for me.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

I love my Gottlieb games and don't understand the bashing that some people engage it. I own Hollywood Heat, Rock, Street Fighter 2, and Stargate. They have all been lots of fun and very reliable, trouble-free games for me.

NICE! That's awesome, man!

#41 7 years ago

Just picked up a Black Hole. It's been as fun as my 90's dmd games have been and just as fast. Great Game.

blackhole1 (resized).jpgblackhole1 (resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago

NICE! That's awesome, man!

Also I just got a Vegas (haven't even unloaded from my vehicle yet), and I'm currently looking to buy Monte Carlo and Victory. Someday I would like to get Tee'd Off, but there are several on location around me so I get to play it all I want as it is.

#43 7 years ago

Owned a few early on when i started collecting and they were great for when i first started having pins in my home. However after playing wpc and stern pins i quickly sold the gottliebs and started collecting wpc and sterns and no one misses the gottliebs one bit . While they are fun and unique for a few weeks , they just dont have enough there to take up my limited space anymore. All pinball is fun and i can appreciate it all for what it is.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Gottlieb certainly had a distinguished place in the pinball world. From the 1950s-1970s they delivered some of the best games ever made.

To use the cargument, it's like how Chevy made the best cars until they started churning out poop in the 1970s, and were surpassed by other manufacturers.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

From the 1950s-1970s they delivered some of the best games ever made.

I'm partial to Gottliebs from the late 40s myself.

#46 7 years ago

Love mine

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm partial to Gottliebs from the late 40s myself.

A six flipper man?

#48 7 years ago

I've got a 1948 Buccaneer with 4 flippers too. Great game! You really should try it.

#49 7 years ago

Gottliebs are great. Such interesting designs, for instance the moving basket on Shaq Attaq or the moving glove on Big Hurt. Another neat feature on Shaq is the drop targets are variable instead of always resetting all of them once knocked down. I have never seen that feature on another pin.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

in the past 2 years MANY people have gotten over the BS status quo opinions and realized Gottlieb made some of the best games out there.

You can like them, you can love them, but "some of the best games made?" Put the pipe down.

We get it guys...you're entering get the phase where you have played everything a million times and premiere is some fat nasty strange that's looking good to you because you haven't broken it in yet.
I'm happy when you're happy, I'm glad you guys love them. But let's take it easy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.99
Cabinet Parts
Troxel Repair
Cabinet parts
$ 10.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-likes-premiergottlieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.