(Topic ID: 357033)

Who here is from RGP?

By UFO

53 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240530_050414220.MP (resized).jpg
    rgp first (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ltg_bounty_hunter (resized).png
    rgp-rootpg (resized).jpg
    There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 49 days ago

I was a route tech back then and the only option for tech support was the manual or the technician at the Distributor. He was there 9-5 and would get cranky if you didn't know quite what you were talking about and/or have a manual nearby to reference. I can imagine I'd get cranky too if I had to recite "Did you check your voltages/connections/fuses/broken wires/switches etc." all day.

RGP introduced me to Clay's guides. Both were great resources during that era that were available anytime, and saved my ass on numerous occasions.

#202 49 days ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

If you can find my 11/20/2010 post "r.g.p at twenty" you will see my long-ish scorecard on how well r.g.p served its intended purposes.
    .................David Marston

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/bYBGW16oR2o/m/W5cN22WaehoJ

I started on r.g.p in the mid 90s. I resisted moving here until I realized how useful it is to be able to add schematic snippets to technical troubleshooting posts.

/Mark

#203 49 days ago

At what point in time? I used to hang out in Pinball pretty often, with Penni, Eug, that Eddie guy, and a handful of the WMS staff.

#205 49 days ago
    Quoted from UFO:

Who is still around from rec.games.pinball?
    L8r
    UFO

Yooo! Grant, right? I bought that BK LE project from you back in 2005? when I lived in TN. Was nice meeting you and still recall that it was a decent deal. My journey in repairing it was documented on RGP of course! (MPU blanking issue, whole playfield full of black burnt coils)

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Frank was so destructive and good at his job he made people forget about Gary, who ruled the place with his computer of terror until ultimately getting doxxed and suddenly, mercifully disappearing like a fart in the wind.
    It's impossible to put into words how much people hated Gary.

Frank, Gary, and others ended up in my killfile - easy; I used Agent for a newsreader. Gary lasted longer because it took him a while before he just degenerated into pushing his "buy gold" schemes which ultimately is why I think he existed there to begin with. He actually tried to sabotage my auctions when I was selling off a bunch of pins before an out-of-state move. It backfired, as all the evils he thought he was exposing about my pins were things that I had fixed and detailed on RGP for everyone to see - which of course numerous people pointed out to him as well. It was good fun.

Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Yup… I simply went by Mike lol. 1999. I remember ray johnson from action pinball used to chime in and give great advice on pretty much every tech thread. Used to have keefer, ferret (afljoeys), and Duncan brown post very often. Good old days for sure.

I kept waiting for the "random your mama" jokes to return to the sig on keefer's posts.

Quoted from elcolonel:

I was roasted unmercifully after buying 3 NIB Cactus Canyons, and advertising 2 of them, at 1000 over what I paid. So there you go, I actually ruined the hobby, damn near 30 years ago!

Hey Tom! I bought a couple machines from you back in the early 2000's when I still lived in ATL. Scared Stiff and I believe a beater-but-playable Funhouse, decent deals, both.

Quoted from avspin:

Clay's guide helped a lot. I still have VHS of Shaggy & Norm. Rebought in DVD also.

I learned a LOT from Clay's guides. Regardless of the debate on where the material came from, he put it all together and organized it and that's a huge amount of work, and I appreciate the effort.

I joined in 2000 after a warehouse raid for video games netted me a couple pinballs - a non-working Firepower and Time Warp. the Time Warp didn't appeal much to me and I later traded it off to a local pin buddy, Carl (cdh). I learned a lot from rgp posts while fixing up the Firepower, and many titles after that one.

Richard

#206 49 days ago

Here from RGP, and I still regret to this day not buying one of the 4k Gene BBB's.

#207 49 days ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Thanks for the smile, I remember seeing them a few years back...
    [quoted image]

No problem, Brad! Thanks for that pic. So many of those I had forgotten about!

#208 48 days ago

From 20 years ago with yancy and Koz on the cover, RIP.

PXL_20240530_050414220.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20240530_050414220.MP (resized).jpg

#209 48 days ago

Me too ... but meanwhile there is mostly spam. Too bad.

#210 48 days ago

Bingo

#211 48 days ago

rgp and rgvac since the early-mid 90s. Dang I'm old. I didn't used to be.

In addition to "there is no spoon" there was also "Ahoo to you - Wolffy"

#212 48 days ago
    Quoted from Skeets:

Here from RGP, and I still regret to this day not buying one of the 4k Gene BBB's.

I went back and forth on this one for quite awhile. I was concerned it would never get completed or there would be no support after purchase. I think that 4K went towards a restored MB instead.

But, most of the other purchases I made during that time paid off well so I cannot complain.

#213 48 days ago

I was on there but don't remember my username. I just joined to research some repairs and track down "Bad Bob"..... He wasn't bad at all.

#214 48 days ago

My first rgp post was on day 10 of the group's existence, 11/29/90.

#215 48 days ago

There's some good pinball history contained within the archives of RGP. Could write a book. Some of the memorable topics I recall:
    - Closing of Williams and subsequent sale of assets to Wayne.
    - Rise of Stern (Gary's acquisition of Sega, lean years when pinball almost died).
    - Gene's remake of BBB (and exile from expo)
    - Flood of container pin re-imports from Europe to US.
    - pinball auction threads (SuperAuctions, etc.).
    - Remake of Fathom playfield and beginnings of CPR.
    - Rise (and/or fall) of certain restorers/remakes (Treasure Cove, Bill Davis, PFR, CPR, etc.).

What are some of the other big/controversial topics I've missed or forgotten?

#216 48 days ago

I'm trying to think about how I heard about RGP. Maybe at Expo or probably one of the Pinball Magazines.

Which brings to mind what years was Pinball Trader active? Game Room? PinGame Journal? I'd look into it, but I sold my collection years ago.

#217 48 days ago

I was...many moons ago.

#218 48 days ago
    Quoted from tullster:

Which brings to mind what years was Pinball Trader active? Game Room? PinGame Journal?

Pinball Trader started in 1986 and ended just before PGJ started in 1991. PGJ is (technically) still active.

Game Room started in 1989 and ran until late 2010.

PAPA tournaments I through V were 1991-95. The original IFPA was founded in 1990 and ran until 1994.

There were solicitations for help with a "Pinball Database" at Pinball Expo 1993.

Another "big topic" on r.g.p of special significance is ownership of brand new games. The whole idea of buying NIB (new in box) became visible to hobbyists through r.g.p, with increasing mention as the 1990s rolled on. Traditional operator-centric distributors were reluctant to serve this market.
    .................David Marston

#219 48 days ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Traditional operator-centric distributors were reluctant to serve this market.

Back then they had legitimate concerns.

Sell you one game for your home. You get bored and later stick it on location somewhere. You could start an operator war.

Many distributors had minimums for first time customers. Like huge purchases. To be sure you were going to be an operator.

LTG : )

#220 48 days ago
    Quoted from yendor0:

There's some good pinball history contained within the archives of RGP. Could write a book. Some of the memorable topics I recall:
    - Closing of Williams and subsequent sale of assets to Wayne.
    - Rise of Stern (Gary's acquisition of Sega, lean years when pinball almost died).
    - Gene's remake of BBB (and exile from expo)
    - Flood of container pin re-imports from Europe to US.
    - pinball auction threads (SuperAuctions, etc.).
    - Remake of Fathom playfield and beginnings of CPR.
    - Rise (and/or fall) of certain restorers/remakes (Treasure Cove, Bill Davis, PFR, CPR, etc.).
    What are some of the other big/controversial topics I've missed or forgotten?

Clear coating games...
    The rise of the TZ Mods...

#221 48 days ago

Early 90’s. Ran the usenet server/feeds at the university I worked at.

#222 46 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Clear coating games...

"Slathercoat" .... What a ridiculous controversy.

#223 45 days ago

First started in RGP in 2002, when I first started collecting. Got in when my wife and I bought 3 games at an auction for $300... those were the days !
    Was mainly a lurker but enjoyed the group and the banter a lot. I bailed when a lot of the others did when Frank Furter trolling got OOC. Lurked around here for a few years before joining up a few years back...

2 weeks later
    #224 26 days ago

I remember Clay, Cliff, Doug Bale from NV Arcade, John Robertson from John's Jukes, that guy use to do some massive tech support for everyone. Back when Steve Young first re-popped Black Knight BG and pop bumper caps. Who was the guy that was trolling like a banshee and losing his sh*t every other day, suing people left and right? Frank Rizzo or something like that. LOL!!! Anyway, that was some fun times. Back when we bought stuff sight unseen and snail mailed money orders to get it. I bought a hand full of playfields from Doug back in the day that way...

#225 26 days ago

Yuuuuup. Pinballemporium.

#226 25 days ago

Joined around the mid-90's. Good times

1 week later
    #227 14 days ago

I started on rec.games.pinball back in 1997 using a Website called Deja News. Got a lot of great advice from the likes of Clay Harrell, Ray Johnson, Steve Charland and many more. Met a few of those RGPers at the Pinball Fantasy conventions in 1997 and 1998 in Las Vegas. Some fun times back in the late 1990s/early 2000s...

1 week later
    #228 6 days ago

My first post on RGP was summer of 1999. I was 2 years in the hobby before I found RGP.

Looking back at the controversy when RGP started dying off and Pinside was moving strong is interesting. Today, I compare the other forums I frequent to Pinside and none of them come close to the functionality that Robin has engineered here.

#229 5 days ago

Other controversies:
    Remembering back when it was discovered that the product Cover Your Glass, actually ended up destroying more Backglasses than it saved.
    This was before krylon triple thick was a better option at the time, and before buying a repro BG was still a rare dream.

#230 5 days ago

I probably saved 100 backglasses with Cover Your Glass Light. Steve Young told me to use it over the regular formula. I only had one glass delaminate. At the time, it was our only option. We were saving glasses with peeling, curved pieces of artwork, using toothpicks to lay the art back in place on the wet glass.

I also remember when first generation overlays came out. They were welcomed as game-savers. A year later the next generation appeared and the company making first generation was trashed. The first generation had cloudy inserts, pixelated artwork, and light had trouble penetrating through the inserts.

#231 4 days ago

I think a lot of "cover your glass" success or failure depended on Backglasses remaining in a moderate temperature controlled environment without much temp fluctuations. Apparently Tim Arnold had many disasters.

#232 4 days ago

I was ZNET on RGB as well. Pinside was pretty much a gathering for newbies back then. There was no reason for the EM enthusiasts, like me, to bother with Pinside. Most of us were somewhat snobbish, myself included, holding Pinsiders in disdain.

But, when I heard about this fledgling new company called Jersey Jack, just an hour's drive from my house, I had to learn more about its inaugural title: Wizard of Oz. The best source of information about new games was Pinside.

#233 4 days ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

My first post on RGP was summer of 1999. I was 2 years in the hobby before I found RGP.
    Looking back at the controversy when RGP started dying off and Pinside was moving strong is interesting. Today, I compare the other forums I frequent to Pinside and none of them come close to the functionality that Robin has engineered here.

Loved your game photos! Still available?

There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.