(Topic ID: 357033)

Who here is from RGP?

By UFO

57 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240530_050414220.MP (resized).jpg
    rgp first (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ltg_bounty_hunter (resized).png
    rgp-rootpg (resized).jpg
    There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 57 days ago

Who is still around from rec.games.pinball?
    L8r
    UFO

#2 57 days ago

I am.

#3 57 days ago

LTG : )

#5 57 days ago

I am.

#6 57 days ago

That’s where it all started for me.

#8 57 days ago

I popped in occasionally over the years. I haven't been there since google killed off google groups. I've been too busy/lazy to sign in using other methods.

#9 57 days ago

Used to be, but haven't been there in quite some time.

#10 57 days ago

That’s where I got all my initial pinball knowledge. Got a TZ from Barry NJ without knowing even how to put the balls in. Clay’s guides and vids and rec.games.pinball showed me the way. Forever grateful.

#11 57 days ago

Used go by crypkeeper on RGP back in the day

#12 57 days ago
    Quoted from Mank:

That’s where I got all my initial pinball knowledge. Got a TZ from Barry NJ without knowing even how to put the balls in. Clay’s guides and vids and rec.games.pinball showed me the way.

There's a name that I haven't heard in a while. That's who I got my first game (BSD) from 20 years ago. I didn't know his reputation at the time, but luckily, I ended up with a very nice game at a great price.

#13 57 days ago

I have a solid 10 year body of work there. It was pretty wild and of course unmoderated so it was a completely different vibe.

The place was ultimately destroyed by both obsolescence and a couple very effective hall of fame trolls.

Can’t say I miss it. The forum system works better for a number of undeniable reasons. But there is still some good history from old
    Timers there if it can still be accessed.

#14 57 days ago
    Quoted from UFO:

Who is still around from rec.games.pinball?
    L8r
    UFO

29 years ago was my first venture into RGP. Guilty.

Clive

#15 57 days ago

Yep, started late but hit RGP while it was still around. RGP taught me my first lessons in pinball repair.

#16 57 days ago

RGP vet here as well.

#17 57 days ago

9-10 years there before here.

#18 57 days ago

RGP VET right here 24 years plus

#19 57 days ago

Me. My user name started with frank, it's been so long I've forgotten the rest of it

#20 57 days ago

I spent time there from 2002-2014. Even wore the RGP lanyard to the Pinball Wizards Convention (Allentown).

#21 57 days ago

For many years, my posts go back to the mid 90's.

#22 57 days ago

Back to the days of Deja News. Had to jog the memory. Then Google bought them out.

#23 57 days ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Me. My user name started with frank, it's been so long I've forgotten the rest of it

#24 57 days ago

I was on rgp back in the early 2000s. I'll have to check what newsreader I was using back then. Man! Those were the days.

#25 57 days ago

Me. Same username.

#26 57 days ago

me too.

#27 57 days ago

On since 1996. I do recall Frank Further pretty much ruining the experience for me.

#28 57 days ago

me too, started around 91

#29 57 days ago

Same here
    that's how I first found
    RGP

#30 57 days ago

I went by stang65.

#31 57 days ago
    Quoted from mbt:

On since 1996. I do recall Frank Furter pretty much ruining the experience for me.

Frank was so destructive and good at his job he made people forget about Gary, who ruled the place with his computer of terror until ultimately getting doxxed and suddenly, mercifully disappearing like a fart in the wind.

It's impossible to put into words how much people hated Gary. There were entire websites dedicated to him and his misdeeds. One guy printed out a poorly pixelated photo of him and ejaculated on it and posted THAT picture.

It was insane. This place is tiddlywinks at its worst compared to the open psychological warfare that was going on there for years. Gary also invented the pinball podcast (was it Gary Cubeta's RGP Radio?)...not just ranting and raving and picking fights and opining with maximum force, but also interviewing industry folks, modders, RGP personalities....sound familair? When Kaneda started up I was shocked how similar their acts were and how crazy it was that nobody else realized it was nothing new.

Even with all the trolls, the worst time was always election years. So like 25 percent of the time the place was in ceaseless hostility.

#32 57 days ago

I was on RGP starting in 2003 when I got my first pin…Black Knight

#33 57 days ago

I’m not that Frank, but was there for many years.

For all of the static, there were many helpful people, and lots of part and game sales.

#34 57 days ago

Not only did I start on RGP for pinball, but it was my first online chat group ever. And Gary Cubeta was my first troll experience.
    I gained a ton of pinball knowledge and made some good friends that I still connect with today.

CARGPB #36

#35 57 days ago

I came from there as well been long time since I thought about good ol rgp

#36 57 days ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I gained a ton of pinball knowledge and made some good friends that I still connect with today.

#37 57 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Frank was so destructive and good at his job he made people forget about Gary, who ruled the place with his computer of terror until ultimately getting doxxed and suddenly, mercifully disappearing like a fart in the wind.
    It's impossible to put into words how much people hated Gary. There were entire websites dedicated to him and his misdeeds. One guy printed out a poorly pixelated photo of him and ejaculated on it and posted THAT picture.
    It was insane. This place is tiddlywinks at its worst compared to the open psychological warfare that was going on there for years. Gary also invented the pinball podcast (was it Gary Cubeta's RGP Radio?)...not just ranting and raving and picking fights and opining with maximum force, but also interviewing industry folks, modders, RGP personalities....sound familair? When Kaneda started up I was shocked how similar their acts were and how crazy it was that nobody else realized it was nothing new.
    Even with all the trolls, the worst time was always election years. So like 25 percent of the time the place was in ceaseless hostility.

Gary and Frank were the #1 reason for me leaving.

#38 57 days ago

I was there about 2006. It was entertaining for a while. It was a good source of pinball information. It's quite a mess currently.

#40 57 days ago

RPG was fun. Back in the days when I bought a Whitewater for $2000

#41 57 days ago

Same handle. Got tired of all the trolling

#42 57 days ago

Was a regular in RGP for years. Was USA communicado for Wayne on the MM remakes. Bought my lotr LE from Jack when he had enough of Gary’s shit also.

Furhter killed it finally along with the all growed up Pinside which Robin had ready and waiting.

#43 57 days ago

Yes
    I remember Pinlicious and the quote from The Matrix, "there is no spoon." Also remember the Aaron-o-meter, before the Pinside Top 100.

#44 57 days ago

I bought a couple of pins in my early days from RGP before I knew what Pinside was. I'm talking $1100 Monopolies and NASCARs.

#45 57 days ago

Me!
    Started around 2003 on there.
    Was generally very useful, with exceptions.
    Kind of miss it.

#46 57 days ago

Good times.

#47 57 days ago

The good ol' days ! OG here since I think '99

Who remembers Gary the Robot Translator 2000 ?

This was true quality content.

#48 57 days ago
    Quoted from Gman3:

The good ol' days ! OG here
    Who remembers Gary the Robot Translator 2000 ?
    This was true quality content

Those vids were great. I was actually searching for them on YouTube a while back. No luck.

#49 57 days ago

Those were the days. Joined up in the mid 2000's but haven't been back in years now.

#50 57 days ago

Another long-time RGPer here. Took me a long time to transition to Pinside. Went a long time with the same pinball lineup. Both great resources and pretty decent communities.

There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.