Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9916 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9009 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_0967 (resized).jpeg
    196A9402-78C3-4F57-8D5D-B765B08AE29F.gif
    IMG_1199 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5196 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7917 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7468 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8031 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8817 (resized).png
    IMG_9674 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    A61E0C90-9A89-4FD0-A6F4-1BDE5DE7E9E0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8086 (resized).jpeg
    E1DAA857-3776-4D35-A2EC-793A00A8DA5F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 4 years ago

At my worst I was drinking about a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka a week. Once into my 30s alcohol started giving me terrible hangovers much worse than I was younger so I decided it was time to quit. Tapered down use over a couple weeks then stopped. I never had classic withdrawal but it sucked for a few months. It was kind of surprising how annoying PAWS type symptoms are. Just felt really agitated, depressed, and/or anxious at times. That slowly went away and now feel normal. Come the end of this month it will be two years of no alcohol for me. I am really glad I quit and will never touch the stuff again. Toxic.

3 months later
    #112 4 years ago

If you want to quit and are a heavy drinker come up with a taper schedule. If you are a binge drinking slowly reduce the number of nights a week you get lit. If you are an all day drinker wait until later and the day and reduce the amount you drink slowly. Taper will likely reduce the amount of withdrawal to deal with. I tapered down and had none of the typical withdrawal symptoms but still got PAWS for months which sucked. Cannabis and Kratom helped feel content during it.

2 - 1/4 years of no alcohol here after being a nightly binge drinker and I don't miss it anymore. It's pretty bad for you

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

Y'all crack me up! You act like quitting drinking is going to be awsome. Once I put booze down problem solved. Ummm. Ok. Unless you are downing a 5th of whiskey a day maybe something will change. Besides that nah you are fooling yourself.

I have not had a hang over in 2.25 years. that alone is a major change. Its Sunday morning and I feel fantastic.

9 months later
    #210 3 years ago

I stopped drinking a little over three years ago. I was a nightly vodka drinker and once I got into my 30s hangovers where getting worse and it was effecting my, sleep, health, and productivity working from home. I did not have classic withdrawal but PAWS sucked for a while. Completely over it now and I can safely say I will never drink again. That shit is really bad for you.

2 years later
    #425 1 year ago

five years no booze... never again

I absolutely still crave sweets though. Its not so bad to give into a pint of ice cream once a week.

#435 1 year ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

I once read that caffeine doesn’t give you energy, it just borrows from your future energy. You boost now, crash later.
    Man does that apply to booze. The high is never worth the low.

Maybe that's why I start nodding off while soldering around 3pm... Sometimes I have to go do something more stimulating or go run/walk around for a minute.

Quoted from Only_Pinball:

You clearly have not seen my stomach.

The trick is once a week. If I had a freezer stocked full of ice cream I'd be fat. Same with gummy bears and stuff like that. If its in the house makes the self control a lot harder. Out of sight out of mind I suppose.

#443 1 year ago

I drank for the effect (nightly vodka binge!). NA beer seems pointless to me and just playing with fire. When I was still dealing with PAWS i had beer cheese almost get me once. Something in my brain popped when I had the first taste... booze!

I will say I almost stopped at UDF for a pint of ice cream but I drove right by and just got chipotle. I am going to treat myself to a single pudding cup instead

7 months later
    #596 8 months ago

Approaching six years of no booze for me (maybe seven, i cant remember). I quit thankfully before it became a big problem. When I started working at home it was easy to get wasted drunk on vodka every night. Start approaching forty and the hangovers got real bad and working from home was affecting my work. When I had to go into an office, I was a functional binge drinker, but working from home made it was to easy to fudge off.

I was on a cruise back in april and I wanted a coke with vanilla. Ordered at a bar, walked away, I took a sip and it tasted like three shots of whisky and a splash of coke. I actually FELT the booze, got all hot, sweaty, and a wave of nerves, but dumped it out. Thirty minutes later I was fine and back to sure I never wanted to drink ever again.

1 week later
    #604 8 months ago

Come up with a tapering off plan. That might be a reduction in how much you drink or if you binge drink, skip days. Once you are off keep booze out of the house and don't put yourself in a position to get served. For me i only had PAWS type mental effects. It lingers annoyingly for a while but goes away.

Good luck!

#606 8 months ago

booze rotted out the language part of my brain ;P

i have trouble putting my thoughts into comprehensible text at times. i'm sure people think im a dum dum over it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-has-stopped-drinking?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.