Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9916 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9009 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_0967 (resized).jpeg
    196A9402-78C3-4F57-8D5D-B765B08AE29F.gif
    IMG_1199 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5196 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7917 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7468 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8031 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8817 (resized).png
    IMG_9674 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    A61E0C90-9A89-4FD0-A6F4-1BDE5DE7E9E0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8086 (resized).jpeg
    E1DAA857-3776-4D35-A2EC-793A00A8DA5F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

At my worst I was drinking about a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka a week. Once into my 30s alcohol started giving me terrible hangovers much worse than I was younger so I decided it was time to quit. Tapered down use over a couple weeks then stopped. I never had classic withdrawal but it sucked for a few months. It was kind of surprising how annoying PAWS type symptoms are. Just felt really agitated, depressed, and/or anxious at times. That slowly went away and now feel normal. Come the end of this month it will be two years of no alcohol for me. I am really glad I quit and will never touch the stuff again. Toxic.

Good for you. I cut down a lot from where I was several years ago. I have maybe 2 or 3 a week, that's it.

What not everyone realises is that alcohol is a pretty heavy carcinogen let alone a major risk factor for cancers of the bladder, kidneys, pancreas (one you don't want to get), colon, stomach, liver, throat, mouth, and others.

I lost a very good high school friend from it a few years ago. We drank a lot in high school and college. All of us modified, he didn't. He woke up one day and felt horrible. He want to urgent care, they hospitalized him immediately and he was dead in 24 hours from his organs shutting down. He was 47.

3 months later
    #114 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

For me, it was more seeing if I could go a day without a beer or whiskey and coke. Im a 6 drink minimum a day guy. Thursday night/Friday morning I woke up with a racing heart and it scared me a little. When 4pm yesterday came around and the wife asked if we were going for happy hour I said we can go but I'll just have a coke. We stayed home and watched tv all night instead.
    It will be hard to watch football today without a beer in hand. At least i have plenty of pot to keep me happy.

My buddy drank almost every day for 2 decades. He woke up one morning, and felt horrible. He went into Urgent care, and after a blood test, they found out his organs were shutting down.

He died 2 days later at age 47.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Omg, that is horrible. I’m worried that might happen to friends of ours.

It happened so fast. He was always a big drinker, was in rehab a few times, he would stay away from it, then fall of the wagon.

A friend of mine is a Physician at a local hospital, and he has told me the number of men (and women) in their 40s-50s that come in with major alcohol related terminal illness is staggering. Obviously liver disease and liver cancer are predominant, but other things he sees is Esophageal cancer, Gallbladder Cancer, Pancreatic cancer, and Stomach cancer. All of those are almost always painful death sentences. Colon Cancer is a big one, but that can be treated for a few years.

The pattern always seems to be the same; daily drinking in excess. They go to work (sometimes), and sit all night and weekend watching TV and drinking. Has to be a miserable way to live one's only life.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

But like some I have the problem of "once you pop you just can't stop" lol.

Tha is my issue, especially with beer. What works is I think about how I'll feel the next day.

6 months later
    #184 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I rarely drink anymore. To be honest, it affects my sleep so much now that I am assured a totally shitty day after drinking much at all anymore. And hangovers are a son of a bitch now. I read an interesting theory that the human body has only so much ability to normally process ethanol throughout its lifetime, and once you hit the limits you have a tougher and tougher time getting through the purge. That seems to jibe with my experiences, especially post 40. Because I went hard from my teens and well into my 30s.

I have the same issues. Even 3 beers in one night and my sleep is so affected that I'm dragging all the next day. It just isn't worth it. It takes the liver an hour to filter out the poisons from one drink the nerves, muscles, and other organs take a lot longer to recuperate. The amount of increase in risk for all types of cancer has been known for some time, although that information still gets repressed.

3 months later
    #218 3 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

That said, it will certainly be hard not to throw a few back tonight watching the election crap. I fear I will need the medication.

Do what I'm going to do. Workout, then play some pinball and ignore it. Stress puts an incredible amount of burden on the body and alcohol makes it far worse.

I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, but still throw a few back now and then. It's difficult and I empthasize with all of you that struggle, but one thing that "QuickSilverShelby" stated earlier is so true.

..."so I figured I'd find out who the boss was. Me or the booze."

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Stress is a Fu$ker and if you have GI issues, it will tear you in two. Then add on a career that is inherently high stress, and a significant other diagnosed with a bad condition. Stress becomes the boss of you, even when you think you have it under control. I'm currently enjoying my DBL IPA's after a sh#tty day at work ...may play a little ST pro in a bit..

I can now see why older people grasp on to nature so much. Trees, flowers, birds, etc. There is something natural in it all and they won't disappoint you like people (or your own weakness)will always do. Add the stress of life and illness, and it's a great mental and physical soothing/stress relief. It works.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

My favorite stress reliever is working out like gangbusters. I do enjoy nature... but there’s something special about the trance like buzz you fall into when you push yourself physically

Raising your heart rate for a period of time releases all sorts of chemicals in your body, which accounts for that "buzz" feeling. It lasts for hours, even a full day.

5 months later
    #242 3 years ago

A good friend of mine is in the hospital - organs shutting down from drinking. He's under 50.

That's no way to go out.

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Sorry to hear man. A guy I work with passed away from drinking recently, he was in his early 30's

My sister lost her husband due to alcohol abuse. He was only 25 when his liver shut down.

Sorry to hear of this. What people don't realize is that when you drink, it is poison. The liver is what processes liquids as well as all of the other toxins, so every time you drink, your liver malfunctions, so the kidney's have to pick up the work - which is why you urinate so quickly and often when drinking.

That is how it was explained to me recently by a MD. It really destroys the body. Lucky for us - the liver is the only organ than regenerates literally - but that only goes so far.

#251 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Then you have people that take Tylenol for a hangover which is like so fucking bad; yikes.
    I try to keep it under a case a week. I just had to lose some Corvis weight so went a month or 2 without drinking, felt good.
    I also always try to go alcohol free every February sans Super Bowl.

Case as in 24 beers a week?

#255 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah. 18-24 depending on the number of days drinking.

You might want to contact your physician and get a CBC blood test just to make sure all is in order....just to be safe.

1 year later
    #299 1 year ago

All my props for you that are trying. It isn't easy....but once you get there you never look back.

2 weeks later
    #303 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm sure alcohol makes you retain water and all, but it also makes me get drunk and eat horrible shit at 2am. That's more my issue

I did that all the time...and apparently eating right before bed is horrible for your body - almost worse than the poisoning from the alcohol.

1 month later
    #326 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:I did have physical health withdrawal problems afterwards. Realized I had severe Vitamin D&B deficiency. That shit is real….

Yes it is. Shorter lifespans with consistent deficiency, especially D.

#334 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS: One positive side effect from me quitting is better sleep quality too.

That is because alcohol impacts the ability to get REM sleep.

Think about it - it's a poison that we are ingesting. Of course the impacts to our physiology are going to be huge.

For me - the higher risk in some of the worst cancers is enough (throat, brain, pancreas, etc).

#335 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

At age 50 I was losing Short term memory. Dr. Said I may have been Severe vitamin D deficiency for years… supplements help me out big time ,memory is completely turned me around believe it or not… Doctor also said. That my drinking may have masked the problem.

My D levels were low for a long time - which we didn't catch until a few years ago. I take about 50k IU a week in supplements.

2 weeks later
    #348 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

What was the most major effect that you experienced? And showed recovery once you started on the supplements? Mine was short term memory.

Myofascial muscle pain - constantly. Did other things to help mitigate the chronic condition, but vit D helps to lessen the knowledge of the pain. I still take supplements though.

#352 1 year ago

A family member is on the donor list, the medical team stated that more and more younger people require liver transplants. When they are first told, they don’t believe it.

#371 1 year ago
    Quoted from tbonedrums:

I have been away from pinside for awhile and just came across this thread. It has been a good read.
    I read about a study the other day that relates drinking (especially binge drinking) to a higher risk of stroke and it raised some red flags for me. This, along with this thread comes at a time when I am starting to look seriously at my drinking and my health.
    https://www.medindia.net/news/alcohol-risk-factors-for-acute-stroke-identified-209024-1.htm
    I fall in to the binge category as I normally abstain for days at a time then drink 4 -10 beers usually on my days off but sometimes during the work week as well. Very seldom do I have 1 or 2, it is usually all or none and the frequency of my binges has gone up recently with life issues delaing me stress and depression.
    I don't think I have gone more than 10 days straight in my adult life without a beer.
    I guess you could say I don't have a drinking problem, I have more of a - don't know when to stop drinking problem.
    I am in my early 50's now and starting to notice some alarming things with my physical health and feel it is time to change some things. Helps to know there are others in the same boat. Good luck to everyone trying to quit.

I've slowed my intake down over the past 10 years. I hit it hard for too long, then had some health issues and changed my diet and outlook on health. I still intake about 3-6 a week, but all low ABV amounts. Thank God I never hit the hard stuff - that is what will send you to the grave quickly.

But keep in mind, even outside of the alcohol in beer, the calories and inflammation and carcinogens wrecks the body. My band had a show last night - not one beer. Just water and sprite and I feel great today were normally I would be hauling ass all day.

#372 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Get your labs done EVERY 6 months!!!..it is THE most important thing you can do...more likely if on side, "kidneys", make sure you are hydrated. I love drinking as long as my labs say I'm ok (every 6 mo) Light beer only for me. I stay the way from hard stuff.
    I enjoy the hell out of beer...will be hard to give up if labs ever show something amiss. 67ys old and Dr. says liver is better then most young people.
    I hope nothing changes. If so, I will change.

Yeah - Swamp I would go in and get checked out just to be safe. I get my labs done at least once, sometimes twice per year.

#380 1 year ago

Look at it this way....

It's something that just has to be done. Just like eating healthy. Any of us at 50+ know that the body takes a big hit between 45-52 or so. Things change and not for the better.

You can either keep poisoning your body and expect an earlier exit from this world, or you can change your lifestyle and get a few more years to see the Grandkids and experience more sunsets. Even IF you do live long while drinking - you will feel like shit with your body full of inflammation, high blood pressure, various cancers (mouth/throat/esophagus/pancreas/liver/colon/rectum), weakening of the immune system, memory problems, dementia, and mental health issues.

For the record, I have not stopped - I still have about 5 beers a week, but I try my damnedest to limit it to that. Was just at Disney last week, and it was a success with 5 beers for the entire trip.

#384 1 year ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

Going on 7 days sober. Gout is still kicking my ass. Told myself I would change after the last big one. Think its time to get serious and become a casual social drinker. I’m in my 40’s and actually do want to dial it way back. Hoping this is the kick in the ass I need. Ill start exercising more as well.

Look into tart cherry juice if you haven't already. It's been scientifically proven to help.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-gout-with-cherry-juice/

#395 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

It’s called “California Sober”. I support that. I think weed is better for you overall than alcohol.

Not if you inhale it.

#397 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

When people quit drinking they default to “well I guess my opinions are water and Coca Cola…”
    Water is boring and soft drinks are full of sugar and caffeine.
    If you like beer and can’t have alcohol because you’re either an addict or have other health restrictions, then keep drinking beer!
    But without the cancer causing, life ruining, brain fogging side effects.
    [quoted image]
    Or just drink water the rest of your life. Or something else like chugging a nice milk after working in the sun all day. Chocolate milk for you touch guys out there!

39g of sugar, holy shit.

#402 1 year ago
    Quoted from tullster:

Quitting or cutting back usually requires a lifestyle change. It seems hard at first, but it's easy once the initial steps are taken and a renewed sense of control takes over. In addition to the health benefits, it's a relief to not worry about suffering through another hazy day or being ordered to perform stupid human tricks to keep from being arrested for OWI. AA can be an option if it gets bad, but doesn't work for everyone. You've got to really deep down want this.
    For me, I had to find something else to do. I'd still stop by the bar for a soda, and it helped to always have an excuse in mind for when it was time to leave. Once you declare you're done drinking like you used to, there's a little pushback, but it's relatively brief and your family and real friends get over it. I indulged in my hobbies to occupy my time, and my family are not big drinkers so I'm pretty lucky there.
    Sure, it was a little lonely at first, but it helped me to find myself and get things straightened out. It did take a while, but life took a turn for the better and I haven't regretted a thing. I've got an awesome family, great friends and am enjoying life to its fullest.
    Personally, I don't bother with the NA beers, but there's tons of beverages out there that fill the gap between water and sugar/caffeine laced sodas.

Well said Tully. It depends if you want it or not.

I do not like not feeling well and as you get older, you realize there isn't all the time in the world for us.

#412 1 year ago

Did well last night. Usually I'm in up to 8 on election night.

Only had one lite before dinner, and then switched to tea which worked fine.

#417 1 year ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I was also worried about last night. Watched the election results for hours and would normally drink to excess while arguing with the TV over the results.
    Settled for a hot cup of tea instead.

Me too.

I had the craving - and almost stopped for a supply, but quickly drove past. Once I eat, the craving goes away. So watched the returns a bit, played some pinball, drank tea and switched to a movie.

Felt great today.

#420 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’ve been eating Tate’s cookies a sleeve at a time. But haven’t had a beer in 14 days. I’ll kick the sugar eventually.

Get a shit ton of dark chocolate. Coca is actually good for you, it's the sugar and dairy that f's it up.

Find 85% or higher. It's a nice stop gap.

#434 1 year ago

Coffee isn't so bad, caffeine in tea is even better. It's a bit complicated as there are various impacts (parkinson's, liver function, arterial harding, diabetes etc), but most of the time it's choosing the right coffee and eliminating what is added (sugar, milk, etc).

Here are a bunch of easy to digest articles/videos

https://nutritionfacts.org/?s=coffee

#444 1 year ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I will say I almost stopped at UDF for a pint of ice cream but I drove right by and just got chipotle. I am going to treat myself to a single pudding cup instead

I know the feeling. My weakness are the banana muffins at Kwik Trip here in WI. They taste so good, so I maybe have 1 a week or so. I feel guilty though after eating it.

Sometimes I get one, sometimes I walk right past.

Then I see the bottles of booze behind the counter - ugh.

#452 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’ll wrap up 3 weeks alcohol-free tonight, at Free Play Florida. My wife and I did Epcot and Animal Kingdom earlier this week. I had tonic water and lime while she had 2 glasses of wine. I had a Heineken 0.0 while she had a Guinness. I brought down a few six packs of Athlete “Run Wild”, and those are great for killing any craft beer cravings. This will be my first non-drinking vacation in over 20 years. So far I’m not missing the buzz at all.

Nice! Epcot is a bit tough to get through alcohol free, but Animal Kingdom is easy when they charge 10.99 for a Big Wave. LOL!

1 week later
    #458 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I stocked the beer fridge for December. Pretty disappointed in the Brooklyn Brewery stuff so far; it has a metallic taste, and no hoppy flavor like the Run Wild. The Heineken 0 is a little better. I think next time I’ll just stick with Athlete Brewing. So hard to find a place with more than a few 6-packs, though.
    [quoted image]

Looks delicious.

#461 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

April will be 3 years for me. I lost 40 lbs the first month… 155lbs down total. I don’t even go one day thinking about the stuff. Everything is better.. The way I live my wife.. what I eat… the caliber of woman I’ve been with.. the type of job I’ve had… Everything has been better since I quit. Fuk alcohol!
    [quoted image]

Nice! What made you change lifestyles?

#472 1 year ago

So after 3 weeks - had my first drink. A glass of Pinot Noir wine.

Meh - had it with dinner and while my wife felt the effects, I didn't. I could have kept going with a 2nd glass, but have a lot of things to do today and my body was like "nah - you're good".

2 weeks later
    #485 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

How’s everyone doing, dealing with the holidays? I’ve got one family get together coming up, but it’s mostly non-drinkers. I’m enjoying the time off, working on games. I just finished my first alcohol-free playfield swap, and I think it came out great:
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Game looks great!

I am on my track for 5 glasses of wine a month. My goal was to stick to a low number and hold it. If I can do that and avoid the 3+ spikes in one night, I'll be good to go.

1 week later
    #498 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

60 days sober today. I joined a gym (Crunch) and I’ve started running 3 miles 3 times a week. Normally, I’d just do nothing when it’s too cold to ride my bike, so this is a nice option for $15 a month. I’m not going to worry about weight loss until all the Christmas cookies are gone.

How are you feeling overall?

#499 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

For me it was always a stimulant, oddly enough. I’d be sitting in the basement alone, listening to great music. Next thing I know, it’s 3am and my wife is coming down to check on me. I look around and there are 6-8 empties. “How did this happen?”

Music was the worst for me. Back in the day - I would put my headphones on, make sure I was alone and before I knew it there were 8 empty beers there with me within 2 hours. It was rough.

Watching movie was 2nd. Even now, I'm still get in the trap of having a drink while watching a great movie and next thing you know I'm 4 in.

1 month later
    #515 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m still rocking the Athletic Brewing beers. I’ve tried almost all them now, and Athletic and Grüvi are the only ones I really like.
    I’ve been hitting the gym regularly since New Year, and I’m only down 5 pounds. Seems to be a lot harder to lose weight now than when I was younger.

I'm in the same boat. Doing cardio up the wazoo - and not making too much ground. Thinking I have to start counting calories or something, but then I think of how heavy I would be with constant beer drinking....no thanks.

#525 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I've also drastically cut back drinking for a variety of reasons, maybe a drink a week, if that, but I think you're just getting older like me ha. One thing my wife always tells me (she's a Clinical Dietitian) is that especially the older you get, people often treat "weight" the same as "health". I started getting serious about alcohol related changes about 6 or 8 months ago. I'm still about the same weight (5' 11", 195lbs), but I FEEL much better. I sleep better, I have less anxiety, I have more energy, and I'm more present and alert. I also skip less workouts because of feeling like shit on a weekday after too many beers the night before and obviously don't consume nearly the amount of empty calories I was when I was drinking heavy. Do I have a 6 pack now that I've gone mostly-sober-ish...no, but am I healthier and do I feel better? You bet your ass...not to mention the adverse effects of alcohol that aren't visible. Keep it up!

Same here. I was in a bad spot for many years. The worst part about it? Missing many, and I mean many moments/days due to feeling like shit the day after.

I now love getting up, feeling good and getting that first cup of coffee.

#537 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikeking27:I had what I’d categorize as a drinking problem in my 20s, mellowed on that in my 30s and then stone cold quit any and all drinking for nearly 3 years - lost all my ‘friends’ - simply stopped inviting me to things since I was bringing sparkling water to the party. I didn’t really notice any difference, didn’t really lose any weight or feel any different. I guess the main thing was being able to get up and at it in the morning a little quicker. Since then I’ve pretty much landed on drinking somewhere from a glass to a bottle of wine on Friday nights and that’s about it. Problem now is in my 40s - I tend to just fall asleep before I can even finish a bottle - I’ve always tried to eat healthy (haven’t had fast food as a meal in nearly 20 years), and work out regularly - 6 days a week for as long as I can remember. Anyway, I guess my addition to the topic is that I quit, it was fine, and now I drink occasionally, and it’s still fine.

Sounds like you found the right balance - which is what I'm trying to do.

#551 1 year ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I’ve been not drinking for 13 days now. Usually was a bottle of Cabernet and about four IPAs a night.
    Was diagnosed with fatty liver disease a few months ago, but just couldn’t seem to give it up still.

Ouch.

Not to scare you or anything, but a close family member was diagnosed with fatty liver disease a few years ago. He did not stop or slow down and it didn't end well.

Good luck.

1 month later
    #555 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Hello my fellow sobernauts, I hope you’re doing well.
    I really wanted to drink today. I’m trying to have a relaxing week off, and my wife decided she wants to tackle the attic. I asked if she could wait until next week, since I’m on Spring Break and trying to relax. She said “you may be off, but I’m not” - which is ridiculous, she’s retired and she can make her schedule whatever she wants it to be. I told her she was on her own, and she was okay with that, but not really.
    I strongly considered going to have some 7% IPAs and play Godfather and Foo Fighters. Instead, I spent the day moving my games in and out of storage to get ready for a Classics tournament in May. I might still go to the bar tomorrow, but I’ll have Athletic brews since I’m not pissed off any more. I’m on day 160 and I’ll be damned if I’ll drink just because I’m annoyed.

That is the hardest, when you are stressed and your mind does an incredible job of coaxing you in. It's like the old cartoons with the devil and angel on either side of your shoulder. Those old animators probably knew a thing or two about excessive drinking.

1 week later
    #566 1 year ago
    Quoted from MooButt:

I don’t miss the drinking, but I still think about having a chew every day. Have dreams about it.

Same here - especially after a meal.

1 week later
    #586 12 months ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Its all about insulin response. The hard part about quitting sugar is realizing that we are being pumped full of it in everything. Honestly its hard because its an effort to avoid. Its shocking how much is in almost every thing.

And then we look around at each other and wonder why everyone is getting diabetes. Or even better is sodium - it's everywhere and in everything. Then we wonder why everyone has high blood pressure and cardiac disease.

Makes no sense.

2 months later
    #597 9 months ago

Congrats Swamp! 250 days is a long time.

I’m on vacation at Walt Disney world and had a few beers but nothing like in past years. We went to a large 4th of July party here and it was amazing the lack of drunks. If the same event was held in Wisconsin, half the crowd would be stumbling.

The impact to my health and how I feel is the the biggest motivator for me now.

1 month later
    #630 8 months ago
    Quoted from Pinster5000:

Same thing would happen to me and my body was basically telling me to stop drinking. I didn’t realize how much it effected my sleep too, I become quite the restless insomniac when I drink then just exhausted as can be next day. Haven’t completely quit, but only have a few drinks a week maybe and my body has thanked me.

That's my issue. My body fought the inflammation attack and I just felt horrible - even after only a few.

As you get older - it gets worse. Congrats to all even if you slow it way down.

#635 8 months ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Sounds like a pretty large victory to me!

Agreed. Not everyone has to completely stop - it's based on what you are capable of or need.

Any reduction is a win - unless you get diagnosed with a liver disease and still keep on drinking.

1 month later
    #650 7 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

When I first quit drinking, I got enthusiastic about exercise and weight loss and dropped 15 pounds. I’m kind of annoyed that the weight is coming back - I’m still exercising, but I’m eating way too much. I’ll start dieting again when vacation is over (tomorrow).

That is natural. Everyone goes through that.

Look into intermittent fasting....a 16:8 approach is easy to adopt.

2 weeks later
    #652 6 months ago

listen to this for motivation.

1 month later
    #662 5 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I quit a year ago today, and looking back I’ve been crazy productive:
    - hosted 3 IFPA tournaments, and cooked for 24 each time
    - ran about 10 miles a week (after decades away from it)
    - added a ceiling to my patio
    - populated a Viking playfield from scratch
    - did a Rolling Stones playfield swap
    - helped my neighbor with a complicated woodworking project
    That’s just off the top of my head. I’ve also been more present for my wife and my mom, who lives in an assisted living facility near us. I’m a lot more patient with my son, who moved back in with us to save money. It’s all been good.
    [quoted image]

Nice job! Imagine what your body is like today compared to a year ago.

2 months later
    #668 3 months ago

Hubermans episode is hard to absorb. I know it’s been the lynch pin for many people making a change.

#675 3 months ago
    Quoted from junkyard:

I never realized how much of society is revolved around drinking. Truely mind blowing.

Look at the cancer rates and how they associate with alcohol consumption. Colon, throat, oral, pancreas, liver - nasty shit.

3 weeks later
    #687 64 days ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I read the other day that cancer has been the #1 deterrent for people to cut back or stop drinking over the last few years.
    It seems that the more we learn about cancer, the more people are willing to make changes to avoid it...and that's a good thing.

I had my physical last week and was talking to my PC Physician. We were talking about alcohol consumption, and she said the number of females with liver cancer has increased exponentially. They believe it's due to the pandemic and all the wine memes and extra alcohol consumed during that time. Apparently wine is loaded, just loaded with containments and women's liver do not have the same robust metabolism as males do.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-has-stopped-drinking?tu=Methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.