Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9916 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9009 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_0967 (resized).jpeg
    196A9402-78C3-4F57-8D5D-B765B08AE29F.gif
    IMG_1199 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5196 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7917 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7468 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8031 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8817 (resized).png
    IMG_9674 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    A61E0C90-9A89-4FD0-A6F4-1BDE5DE7E9E0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8086 (resized).jpeg
    E1DAA857-3776-4D35-A2EC-793A00A8DA5F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#195 3 years ago

It’s funny that this thread popped back up. I was just thinking about it the other day. I remember it, because just about 11 months ago I stopped drinking both caffeine and alcohol... I haven’t had a drop of either in over 320 days.

It has been quite a journey. Lots of social hurdles, for sure. And while I miss the act of having happy hour drinks with my wife or friends... or a bourbon at the end of a workday...I’ve gotten to a point where I literally have zero cravings for a drink (and that includes caffeine).

I’m sure, at some point, I will have a drink here or there. But not ready for that yet...

3 months later
    #203 3 years ago

Now into month 15. Feeling incredible

#221 3 years ago

My favorite stress reliever is working out like gangbusters. I do enjoy nature... but there’s something special about the trance like buzz you fall into when you push yourself physically

10 months later
    #258 2 years ago

I just passed 2 years of zero drinks. Feeling amazing!

#264 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Congrats man! 8/29/19 is my sober-versary
    2 years and counting.

Funny, that’s the exact date of my last drink, too!

1 year later
    #339 1 year ago

I'm on day 1,141 of being stone cold sober. That translates to 3 years and a couple of months. Feels great.

I love bourbon... and my bourbon collection remains behind our bar... but, I don't miss it!

#342 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Congrats man! I should take 2-3 months off myself.

From my experience, it really takes about 9 months before you’re totally clear minded and that happy hour craving is gone.

1 month later
    #436 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’ve contemplated laying off the 1 cup of coffee every morning. I don’t really NEED it. I haven’t researched caffeine that much. Would be worth trying for a couple weeks. I usually do 1 coffee a day and a soda once a day most days.

Definitely dump the soda

#448 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

32 years old, Quit drinking in December 2021 as I had been under some high stress for years for work and it finally caught up that I got high blood pressure. With a baby added into the mix in 2021 as well I found myself making more poor choices with lifestyle like working late, ordering late night pizza, etc. wasn’t a massive booze Hound but enjoyed my mixed drinks and tasty IPAs.
    Fast forward started to feel shittier and shittier in 2022 and after 8 months of telling doctors something didn’t feel right and countless tests, I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis (among other things prior that didn’t make sense)
    Fast forward about 6 weeks after diagnosis with no improvement, I had a 3rd pancreatic biopsy and it came back positive for cancer.
    After some extremely fast back paddling by a few of the doctors, and one apology for accusing me of lieing about being sober in 2022, I’m now on my 3rd round of chemo.
    My point of sharing is that alcohol/weed/vices are NOT the devil , but rather my advise from my personal experience, try to go a few months sober. Feel healthy, feel good and understand your body. If you feel it’s interfering in any way shape or form with your health (mental or physical), listen to your body.
    I hope everyday that my choice of taking steps to destress, embracing my family, and eventually not drinking while Diving all in to my Arcade/Pool/GoldenTee/Pinball hobby and listening to my body might give me a chance to save my life or extend it.
    I am forever grateful I found this community and by no means am looking for any pity. Feels good to actually share this.

Great post. I also had a medical issue (not as serious as yours) that led doctors to tell me to cut off caffeine and alcohol back in August 2019. I made a commitment that day and stuck to it. A recent check had my doc tell me I could try a drink every now and again, but So far I’ve kept rolling forward. Why? Because I feel so damn good.

I had no idea how much alcohol was hammering away at me.

Great advice from you … but I’d add, I think you really need to give it 6-8 months before your body really lets go sets a new path forward.

Anyhow, get better!

2 weeks later
    #480 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks cait001, I needed that right now. I’ve gained a few pounds since I quit, but I’m not going to worry about it until I hit 90 days. I know I’m going to have to join a gym to stay fit and lose weight.

I’ve worked out pretty consistently for the last 30 years. One thing I’d say is: start off with small, simple goals.

If you’re out of shape right now, get up in the morning, go walk a mile and do 10 push ups against your kitchen counter.

Do that for a week.

In week 2 add a 1/2 mile and 5 push ups…

So on and so forth. Challenge yourself but make the goals achievable.

Eventually fitness will start to take hold and you can mix in weights, rowing, running, etc.

If you try to go from 0 to 60, you’re destined to crash and burn. So, don’t set yourself up for failure!

4 months later
    #563 11 months ago

I’m rapidly approaching 4 years. Still haven’t had a drop… I love the clarity that it’s given me. A real gift.

I still think I’ll have a drink again, someday… but, for now, I have zero interest.

Congrats to all of you that made a commitment to change and have stuck with it. Hats off to ya!

2 months later
    #598 8 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Wow, no posts in 69 days. Must be a sign [Edit: it was 68]
    I hit 250 days sober yesterday. I’ve been tempted to start drinking again about a hundred times, but I’ve been able to shake it off so far. The last month has been the hardest, with surgery keeping me away from the gym. Running has helped me cope, and I can’t wait to start up again.
    Hope ya’ll are doing well. I may drink again some day, but it’ll be a lot less frequent if I do. For now I’ll stick with this.

I’m at 1,460… miss the occasional social drink, but I don’t miss drinking. May have another drink again some day, or may not. At this point, tho, it’s not in my daily calculus, which I like.

Hang tough!

4 weeks later
    #616 7 months ago
    Quoted from Molon_Labe:

The wife asked me to quit this week, so I decided to end alcohol and edibles cold turkey. Unfortunately, my truck got broke into yesterday while eating lunch. Fortunately, all I lost was my phone. I am happy to report that I made it through the rest of the day without anything, but I am not going to lie - it was hard. I really wanted/needed an edible to slow my roll because I ramped up hard and was seeing red. First test passed. Small, insignificant victory for most, but for me it was a big win.
    Here we go with the day-by-day slog and slugfest - wish me luck or better yet throw some prayers my direction if you're a person of faith. I am going to need them, but I have mentally committed to it.

Just some advice… don’t look down the road, just concentrate on each day. Before you know it, you’ll be loving clarity and amazed at how much time has passed.

#624 7 months ago

Come August 27, I’m crossing the 4 year threshold…

It’s just habit now. Love it

#641 7 months ago

My core group of friends are all heavy drinkers. It’s the thing we do (for me: did) when we all get together. That made it doubly hard for me to stop. Lucky for me, my personality has a lone wolf side to it. I have zero problem marching to my own beat.

Over the last few years, two friends have talked a lot about being concerned about their drinking. They want to stop, but it’s so wrapped into their idea of social fun, that they can’t say no. I think they’re worried that get togethers and any sort of group activity will be awkward or not fun without booze… they’re so deep in the weeds that booze is literally one of the pillars of fun.

Disc golf? Gotta bring beers
    Golf? Beers
    Dinner? Beers
    Brunch? Bloodies
    Cornhole? Drinks

The reality I’ve found is that I can have a great time being clear minded and present. I get the camaraderie of sharing a drink. But, that same camaraderie is there without it, in some ways, more so.

I’ve made it a long way down the road without booze, and my doctor has given me permission (from a health perspective, which is what caused me to hit the breaks) to have a drink every now and again. But, as of now, it just doesn’t have any pull. Weird how it’s worked out.

2 months later
    #660 4 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I quit a year ago today, and looking back I’ve been crazy productive:
    - hosted 3 IFPA tournaments, and cooked for 24 each time
    - ran about 10 miles a week (after decades away from it)
    - added a ceiling to my patio
    - populated a Viking playfield from scratch
    - did a Rolling Stones playfield swap
    - helped my neighbor with a complicated woodworking project
    That’s just off the top of my head. I’ve also been more present for my wife and my mom, who lives in an assisted living facility near us. I’m a lot more patient with my son, who moved back in with us to save money. It’s all been good.
    [quoted image]

Get after it Swamp!! Way to go!

2 months later
    #666 64 days ago

5 months, according to Andrew Huberman, is about the length of time needed to really feel a change, physiologically speaking.

Congrats!

If you get to that milestone, the rest is gravy. New habits just become habits.

#670 64 days ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

It's weird honestly don't really think about it anymore the only negative kinda is that I don't feel like going out to pub watching sports with wife (not my thing being around people who are drunk).

I’m in the same boat.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-has-stopped-drinking?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.