Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 54 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9916 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9009 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_0967 (resized).jpeg
    196A9402-78C3-4F57-8D5D-B765B08AE29F.gif
    IMG_1199 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5196 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7917 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7468 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8031 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8817 (resized).png
    IMG_9674 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    A61E0C90-9A89-4FD0-A6F4-1BDE5DE7E9E0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8086 (resized).jpeg
    E1DAA857-3776-4D35-A2EC-793A00A8DA5F (resized).jpeg
    There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.
    #151 4 years ago

What's the old adage of Samuel Clemens?
    "Quitting ______ is easy. I do it all the time."

I'm on a self enforced wagon right now. The first week is a bitch. Seriously. It gets much better after that. The hardest part is having to change ones routine. For example today is sunday funday at my local pinball pub. Is it even possible to go play ball in a bar and not drink? I doubt it. Best not to beat that horse.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

Today is my 6th day sober. To some that's laughable, but to me it's been a very hard 6 days. I really need and want to give it up completely except in a social aspect or family event and even then try to limit it to a couple drinks. But like some I have the problem of "once you pop you just can't stop" lol.

I didn't drink anything the whole month of November. The first day, weekend, and first usual alcohol based social activity are the hardest so you're doing great! After a few more days it will start to settle in as the new normal.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Question for those who have successfully quit drinking. How did you handle social situations at first? I live in a small town and the only entertainment/social gatherings are at the bar. Not sure if I could handle hanging out with people getting drunk while I stay sober.

No reason you can't socialize, A LOT easier these days since everywhere I live the bars are also non-smoking. Just grab something non-alcoholic from the bar and socialize. The nice thing is you can always throw the "I'm Driving" line these days and people have never given me a line of crap about it. That and I grab a snack / meal of some type.

The funny thing though is when I stopped drinking, my habits of where I go and what I do for fun also changed. I found myself going more to places based on what I find is fun. I didn't / don't intentionally avoid bars but over time I just went other places instead.

-Has

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Question for those who have successfully quit drinking. How did you handle social situations at first? I live in a small town and the only entertainment/social gatherings are at the bar. Not sure if I could handle hanging out with people getting drunk while I stay sober.

It's not bad...and I know others who can not have alcohol for health reasons enjoy it and you may be surprised that's all you need to be a part..worth a try?

o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg
    #155 4 years ago

Beer bong! Goooo!

#156 4 years ago

I enjoy drinking, but I recently received some very difficult news to hear.

I moved recently and my wife set us up appointments with a doctor in our new area. The doctor did all the testing, bloodwork, etc, since it was our first visit. I received a call a few days later with very discreet details essentially saying that I need to go back to the doctor urgently. That is the absolute last thing anyone wants to hear.

I made an appointment right away and went to hear that not only do I have a lot of bloodwork numbers that were "alarming, " but I also have adult onset diabetes.
    That really crushed my spirit.
    The good news is that I can eradicate it with diet and exercise.

As a result, I have had to stop drinking...which has been difficult for me.
    On the flip side...i have lost 40 pounds in 2 1/2 months.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I enjoy drinking, but I recently received some very difficult news to hear.
    I moved recently and my wife set us up appointments with a doctor in our new area. The doctor did all the testing, bloodwork, etc, since it was our first visit. I received a call a few days later with very discreet details essentially saying that I need to go back to the doctor urgently. That is the absolute last thing anyone wants to hear.
    I made an appointment right away and went to hear that not only do I have a lot of bloodwork numbers that were "alarming, " but I also have adult onset diabetes.
    That really crushed my spirit.
    The good news is that I can eradicate it with diet and exercise.
    As a result, I have had to stop drinking...which has been difficult for me.
    On the flip side...i have lost 40 pounds in 2 1/2 months.

Sorry to hear that. Don't worry assholes will be saying your sick. Your to damn skinny! Well enough about me. If your at pincinni this year how about push up contest?

#158 4 years ago

A week in to my 60 days and feel great. Eating right and exercising everyday as well. No drinks during the football game which is a big change. I feel great with all 3 phases going (diet, exercise, and no alcohol) but it is hard to stay disciplined in all three areas.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

A week in to my 60 days and feel great. Eating right and exercising everyday as well. No drinks during the football game which is a big change. I feel great with all 3 phases going (diet, exercise, and no alcohol) but it is hard to stay disciplined in all three areas.

Good for you! I am definitely not perfect but honestly I have been keeping up on this thread as somebody who very rarely drinks (like maybe a handful of drinks a year, and that is mostly a few glasses of wine). I have been this way most of my life.

I don't feel any pressure to drink socially, and if people find it "weird" then sad day for them. I am not going to start pouring a bunch of empty calories into my belly just to make myself mentally more slow... so other people can be more okay with doing it themselves? Screw that?

That being said I can understand how hard it is to break bad habits. Over the years I started eating more and more poorly, and not excercising as much as I should. When I hit the point of having to go up a pants size it was hard to ignore, so I started eating better (fewer treats), eating less, and going on the treadmill for 20 minutes a day.

Several years later i am down sixty pounds; though unlike with drugs and alcohol you can't responsibly 100% quit food. So for me it is a matter of staying within some reasonable limits but still eating some fun stuff as well.

What I really want to say is not everybody can do it easily, not everybody can do it alone, but if you REALLY want to make a change in your life you surely can do it. Nobody else is going to do it for you at the end of the day.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I'm really sorry to read this much about a bunch of drunks!! I never started drinking because,like cigarettes,its stupid,smelly,expensive,destructive to your health and puts you in a crowd of people generally frowned upon! I always see guys with a giant pot-belly,drink in one hand,cigarette in the other,talking crap about anything that they are doing!! How about you big business assholes that have to have several Martinis at lunch,and think that because you wear a silly suit and tie to work,your cool...NOT!!Who cares about how much money you can steal from your investors and laugh about it over a couple of drinks!! This is the underbelly of our society !!!!

Dude you wrote this sober? Man I thought I had issues.

#161 4 years ago

When you set self-care as your #1 priority in life, details like (drinking or not) fall into place.

-mof

#162 4 years ago

There is truth to that... Problem is once you past that first 30 days you feel good and start to think you can drink sometimes occasionally if you want... Well alcohol is a depressant and compounds that self esteem thing and you are right back where you started...Quitting is not easy at first, you gotta want it. But like a bad boyfriend time heals all wounds and it gets easier to forget.

#163 4 years ago

No alcohol for me for two decades, and I can prove it with just how boring I am and how infrequently people invite me out, etc. Bottled water, anyone?

#164 4 years ago

Omg that's funny, I just snorted coffee out my nose!...I know the feeling, even dogs find me offensive, and run off before they gotta listen to another boring lecture on power factor curves or something.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Good for you! I am definitely not perfect but honestly I have been keeping up on this thread as somebody who very rarely drinks (like maybe a handful of drinks a year, and that is mostly a few glasses of wine). I have been this way most of my life.
    I don't feel any pressure to drink socially, and if people find it "weird" then sad day for them. I am not going to start pouring a bunch of empty calories into my belly just to make myself mentally more slow... so other people can be more okay with doing it themselves? Screw that?
    That being said I can understand how hard it is to break bad habits. Over the years I started eating more and more poorly, and not excercising as much as I should. When I hit the point of having to go up a pants size it was hard to ignore, so I started eating better (fewer treats), eating less, and going on the treadmill for 20 minutes a day.
    Several years later i am down sixty pounds; though unlike with drugs and alcohol you can't responsibly 100% quit food. So for me it is a matter of staying within some reasonable limits but still eating some fun stuff as well.
    What I really want to say is not everybody can do it easily, not everybody can do it alone, but if you REALLY want to make a change in your life you surely can do it. Nobody else is going to do it for you at the end of the day.

I am 5’9 and 164 pounds. And I have been pretty fanatical about fitness besides the booze. I can do 100 plus pull ups in a work out no problem. I am just saying it is hard for me to stay 100% in all facets for longer than a month or so.

#166 4 years ago

Welp, went from drinking probably too much, to one beer since 12/31. Not doing the "Dry January " whatever, but had back surgery last week and a decent cold. Cold is gone, just lacking interest in drinking at the moment. A buddy laughed and said I wouldn't be able to handle a meal out without a brewski or five. Went out to lunch today, had a Pepsi, and I never drink soda, its probably been over two years since I had a Pepsi (Ginger ale here and there with Jameson, not often). If I want a drink, I'll have one, but let's see how long this goes.

#167 4 years ago

I never made it a habbit thankfully. I have 1 drink or less a year. Just not my thing.

#168 4 years ago

I stopped drinking about 1:00 AM.

I'll probably wait until after dinner to start again.

5 months later
    #169 3 years ago

Well, my January dry spell lasted until we went out for my wife's bday that month, so, only a few weeks. I did stop again during the first week of March, haven't had a drink since. Actually switched to Bubly seltzer water, guess most of the over drinking was just the fact I need to drink something, anything, through out the day and beer was my choice. This Covid crap has helped out greatly, no big parties or social drinking events.
    I will say this, I haven't really lost any weight and feel the same. Soooo, I guess the; "I feel like a different person after stopping alcohol" thing doesn't apply to me.

OP, how are you making out?

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Well, my January dry spell lasted until we went out for my wife's bday that month, so, only a few weeks. I did stop again during the first week of March, haven't had a drink since. Actually switched to Bubly seltzer water, guess most of the over drinking was just the fact I need to drink something, anything, through out the day and beer was my choice. This Covid crap has helped out greatly, no big parties or social drinking events.
    I will say this, I haven't really lost any weight and feel the same. Soooo, I guess the; "I feel like a different person after stopping alcohol" thing doesn't apply to me.
    OP, how are you making out?

Still on the same cycle. I can't kick it. I have pretty much cut out hard alcohol but with all that has been going on I still have wine with my wife a couple nights a week. We party pretty hard on big weekends but I am sticking to beer. I would say I have slowed down a bit.

But I guess I have failed.

I will start my 60 days again in September.

Good for you on stopping, I am sure in the long run your body will appreciate it!

#171 3 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

Still on the same cycle. I can't kick it. I have pretty much cut out hard alcohol but with all that has been going on I still have wine with my wife a couple nights a week. We party pretty hard on big weekends but I am sticking to beer. I would say I have slowed down a bit.
    Good for you on stopping, I am sure in the long run your body will appreciate it!

It's weird, went from drinking heavy IPA's basically daily to stopping cold turkey. Don't miss it, but I know there is no way this will be permanent. Trying to hold out until the end of next month at the least, will see if there are any positive changes in blood work from doing this.

#172 3 years ago

Sounds as if you are almost there, (and yes, You will feel like a different person)...Get past that 30 day mark, and don't ever look back.

#173 3 years ago
    Quoted from Passave:

Sounds as if you are almost there, (and yes, You will feel like a different person)...Get past that 30 day mark, and don't ever look back.

Currently at the 122 day mark and counting, just feel less "Hoppy"

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

Going from the hard stuff to beer is a win with alcohol content anyway. If you keep it up with beer, you will gain weight Though. Maybe try hard seltzer?

#175 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Going from the hard stuff to beer is a win with alcohol content anyway. If you keep it up with beer, you will gain weight Though. Maybe try hard seltzer?

Hard seltzer is absolutely disgusting.

I tried some white claw had to spit it out. Zima was great in high school but it doesn't work now.

Beer will def make you fat. I have a friend who has gotten super into craft beers this pandemic and he's beefed on like 40 pounds, quick!

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I tried some white claw had to spit it out. Zima was great in high school but it doesn't work now.
    Beer will def make you fat. I have a friend who has gotten super into craft beers this pandemic and he's beefed on like 40 pounds, quick!

Depends on your metabolism I guess, prior to jumping on the wagon I was plugging down 8%-to close to 20% heavy IPA/DIPA/Triple IPA's etc. Only a little beer gut, which actually grew when I went dayshift after 12yrs of second shift.
    Are you sure your friend didn't eat someone's kid?

#177 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I am actually in really good shape. I workout and hour a day and wakeboard at an elite level. I am not too worried about my looks or physical ability. I am concerned about long term effects and also how much better wakeboarder/shape I would be in if I stopped.

I plan on doing another 60 days in September so we will see how it goes.

I do love sitting with my Wife and sharing some wine though.

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Depends on your metabolism I guess, prior to jumping on the wagon I was plugging down 8%-to close to 20% heavy IPA/DIPA/Triple IPA's etc. Only a little beer gut, which actually grew when I went dayshift after 12yrs of second shift.
    Are you sure your friend didn't eat someone's kid?

One never knows.

He just turned 30. I told him it was gonna be rough !

#179 3 years ago

I am at 6.5 years.
    I did everything with a beer in my hand.
    I was surprised ( and so was everyone who knew me) that when i stopped i didnt miss it.
    No crisis, no oui (i got out on top!) just stopped.
    I have not quit though. I am not a quitter. I keep an emergency 6 pack and a 1.75 liter absolute around just in case i get the urge.

#180 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

100 calories a can. Oh, I prefer beer, but 100 calorie or less beer is like drinking water.

Quoted from jorge5240:

I am actually in really good shape. I workout and hour a day and wakeboard at an elite level. I am not too worried about my looks or physical ability. I am concerned about long term effects and also how much better wakeboarder/shape I would be in if I stopped.
    I do love sitting with my Wife and sharing some wine though.

I don't know what your idea of hitting it hard is, but as they say, you can't outrun a bad diet. High calorie beer in quantity every weekend will cause weight gain. Weight affects your appearance and health. I think I misread though. You said big weekends and I read every weekend. If it is just every now and then, I'm sure you are fine.

#181 3 years ago

I gave up the sauce for good 15 months ago. I’ve got plenty of stories and did more than enough damage in my prime. I got a one year old and a three and a half year old at home, and I just can’t afford to get banged up like I used to. The booze lead to me being too comfortable indulging in other shit (that I wouldn’t dare type on the internet) that was no-bueno as well.

It’s weird watching football without a beer in my hand, but that was really the only time I struggled with it.

#182 3 years ago

I rarely drink anymore. To be honest, it affects my sleep so much now that I am assured a totally shitty day after drinking much at all anymore. And hangovers are a son of a bitch now. I read an interesting theory that the human body has only so much ability to normally process ethanol throughout its lifetime, and once you hit the limits you have a tougher and tougher time getting through the purge. That seems to jibe with my experiences, especially post 40. Because I went hard from my teens and well into my 30s.

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

100 calories a can. Oh, I prefer beer, but 100 calorie or less beer is like drinking water.

I don't know what your idea of hitting it hard is, but as they say, you can't outrun a bad diet. High calorie beer in quantity every weekend will cause weight gain. Weight affects your appearance and health. I think I misread though. You said big weekends and I read every weekend. If it is just every now and then, I'm sure you are fine.

Hitting hard!

In all seriousness I have slowed down a lot and I work out and wakeboard like a machine.

Just worried about long term effects.

F5FCE5F3-C70C-4DA7-AE3C-211BD8BDD87B (resized).jpegF5FCE5F3-C70C-4DA7-AE3C-211BD8BDD87B (resized).jpeg
    #184 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I rarely drink anymore. To be honest, it affects my sleep so much now that I am assured a totally shitty day after drinking much at all anymore. And hangovers are a son of a bitch now. I read an interesting theory that the human body has only so much ability to normally process ethanol throughout its lifetime, and once you hit the limits you have a tougher and tougher time getting through the purge. That seems to jibe with my experiences, especially post 40. Because I went hard from my teens and well into my 30s.

I have the same issues. Even 3 beers in one night and my sleep is so affected that I'm dragging all the next day. It just isn't worth it. It takes the liver an hour to filter out the poisons from one drink the nerves, muscles, and other organs take a lot longer to recuperate. The amount of increase in risk for all types of cancer has been known for some time, although that information still gets repressed.

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I have the same issues. Even 3 beers in one night and my sleep is so affected that I'm dragging all the next day. It just isn't worth it. It takes the liver an hour to filter out the poisons from one drink the nerves, muscles, and other organs take a lot longer to recuperate. The amount of increase in risk for all types of cancer has been known for some time, although that information still gets repressed.

My Mom has never had any alcohol in her life, and she is showing signs of liver cancer and having to get tests done.

I do like my light beer. Years ago when I was having 35 a day that was a tad expensive, so I stopped for 4 months on purpose to bring my tolerance down. (and I was fine, except for some constipation).

Now my tolerance has been around 15, and most of the time I may have 8.

I just like the taste, and no way in hell will I drink and drive. If I go to the lake I take non-alcohol beer.

While ago I was out in the heat and humidity working, and I tried to stay hydrated, but when it was beer time my hands were cramping so I had some more water and Gatorade for a while longer.

If I ever do stop drinking real beer, because I like the taste I would most likely keep drinking some non-alc.

#186 3 years ago

BUT...long ago I tried some of that ice beer with more alcohol, and that crap kicked my ass. I threw away almost a full 30 pack.

Light beer has never gave me a headache or affected me much except a little buzz, but I can not do any ice beer.

Liquor gives me almost immediately severe indigestion, had to quit all that a very long time ago.

When/if this light beer that is almost all water anyway ever bothers me, I will stop very fast.

#187 3 years ago

I stopped drinking to take a shower and eat dinner.

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I stopped drinking to take a shower and eat dinner.

I do that also. I only drink water with my meals. Beer is dessert.

#189 3 years ago

Getting close to three years for me. I don’t miss being f’d up one bit. I did miss the taste. I finally tried some Heineken 0.0 when it came out and liked it. Busch NA is my favorite now haha. Nice being able to take it or leave it, and not getting a hangover at all. I lost so much weight since back then. Maybe 30-35lbs? When I see an old picture of myself I just think omg look how fat my face was. I never want to go back to that. Life is better now.

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I do like my light beer. Years ago when I was having 35 a day

Holy shit!!

You must have been in the toilet a lot!

rd

#191 3 years ago

I turn 40 this year and I dont drink like I use too...I was never a heavy drinker but now I dont have the time or energy to recover from a hangover.

#192 3 years ago

Next month will be a year sober. Just recently now that I corrected my brain to stop craving the buzz I started dabbling in Non-alcoholic beers.

BrewDog makes some amazing stuff.

Don’t have a pic of their stout but it’s really good.

These have been great

42533413-484D-4FC7-990F-0B99DEEDAED3 (resized).jpeg42533413-484D-4FC7-990F-0B99DEEDAED3 (resized).jpegC589BDCB-23F4-4146-B264-7B1A9C83ABC7 (resized).jpegC589BDCB-23F4-4146-B264-7B1A9C83ABC7 (resized).jpegEC7EDE6F-6A15-4F81-B2E2-97EBEF6BA3BE (resized).jpegEC7EDE6F-6A15-4F81-B2E2-97EBEF6BA3BE (resized).jpeg
    #193 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Next month will be a year sober. Just recently now that I corrected my brain to stop craving the buzz I started dabbling in Non-alcoholic beers.
    BrewDog makes some amazing stuff.
    Don’t have a pic of their stout but it’s really good.
    These have been great[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That "Hop" is decent (cold), but I can only find one store locally that Carry's it, and it's almost $10 for a 4pk. So I've bought it twice. I tried a few "No alcohol" beers, hated them. I'm into IPA's, the fake beers I had tasted more like a heavy German beer, which I don't like. Haven't seen anything from Brewdog available around here.

Also, Congratulations!

#194 3 years ago

I cut way back. I drink 2 a night most of the time. I was drinking a 8-16 a day. Yuengling is a damn good beer for how cheap it is. 45 days and I have had about 3 cases.

#195 3 years ago

It’s funny that this thread popped back up. I was just thinking about it the other day. I remember it, because just about 11 months ago I stopped drinking both caffeine and alcohol... I haven’t had a drop of either in over 320 days.

It has been quite a journey. Lots of social hurdles, for sure. And while I miss the act of having happy hour drinks with my wife or friends... or a bourbon at the end of a workday...I’ve gotten to a point where I literally have zero cravings for a drink (and that includes caffeine).

I’m sure, at some point, I will have a drink here or there. But not ready for that yet...

#196 3 years ago

Just hit 8 years sober last month, I was a f****** machine back in the day. Did all kinds of crazy s*** like breaking into Bill Parcells' house and banging my girlfriend in his kitchen. Seriously. Those were the days! Sort of.

#197 3 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Did all kinds of crazy s*** like breaking into Bill Parcells' house and banging my girlfriend in his kitchen. Seriously. Those were the days! Sort of.

Apparently a Bill's fan.
    But...why the kitchen?

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Apparently a Bill's fan.
    But...why the kitchen?

I don't really know, it just happened, but it certainly makes for a better story than any other room lol

On top of being wasted I was also on the wrong meds which put me into a sort of manic bipolar episode, I was basically a combination of John Waters, Rick James and Halley's Comet.

1 week later
    #199 3 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

30 days has September!! Sorry!

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

30 days has September!! Sorry!

Time goes by twice as slow when you are not drinking, so it would feel like 60 days.

There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-has-stopped-drinking/page/4?hl=spinape and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.