Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9916 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9009 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_0967 (resized).jpeg
    196A9402-78C3-4F57-8D5D-B765B08AE29F.gif
    IMG_1199 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5196 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7917 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7468 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8031 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8817 (resized).png
    IMG_9674 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    A61E0C90-9A89-4FD0-A6F4-1BDE5DE7E9E0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8086 (resized).jpeg
    E1DAA857-3776-4D35-A2EC-793A00A8DA5F (resized).jpeg

There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.
    #601 7 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Do you’re damndest to take a break for 2-3, couple weeks and then go for something really REALLY gross sugary - like rock candy or marshmallows . If you’re lucky, once you try that super-sweet refined sugar again it will overwhelm your tongue and you’ll start cutting it out. Worked for me abyway

This is how I got rid of pop and energy drinks. After a few weeks of drinking just coffee and water, I went for a full strength Coca Cola and couldn’t stand the sweetness or the acidity.

#602 7 months ago

Still trying.

#603 7 months ago

Same...failing miserably

#604 7 months ago

Come up with a tapering off plan. That might be a reduction in how much you drink or if you binge drink, skip days. Once you are off keep booze out of the house and don't put yourself in a position to get served. For me i only had PAWS type mental effects. It lingers annoyingly for a while but goes away.

Good luck!

#605 7 months ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Good luck! alcohol is bad for your

..sentence completion! Haha, sorry, couldn’t resist.

#606 7 months ago

booze rotted out the language part of my brain ;P

i have trouble putting my thoughts into comprehensible text at times. i'm sure people think im a dum dum over it.

#607 7 months ago

Its been a rollercoaster for me. I enjoy craft beer A LOT, but the calories pack the weight on too quickly post 50. I also have a hair-twitch temper and was a brawler most of my life for which alcohol exacerbates that dynamic. I shifted to gummies and it's a much better mix with my personality type, but I recognize that being stoned and general productivity are 180 degrees out of phase. I have a great life, career, family etc but sometimes shit gets real in my head with past memories and you just need something to knock the edge off. I don't think I have a "problem" with substance abuse, but I wish I would have never touched any of the crap to be honest. Plenty of dudes I used to roll with in the military need it to have a normal life. Fortunately, I don't think I am that guy, but others that ended up on the wrong side of me over the years might argue differently. Yeah, I would like to quit it all for good. Tried but always come back even its just minor league activity.

#608 7 months ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

booze rotted out the language part of my brain ;P
    i have trouble putting my thoughts into comprehensible text at times. i'm sure people think im a dum dum over it.

Impossible, you are the pinball PCB master! I was just pulling your leg.

#609 7 months ago

Has anyone on here tried those HOP Waters as a substitute to alcohol?
    Our local grocery store started carrying them, they aren’t cheap but might be a good alternative

#610 7 months ago
    Quoted from sudbeckrn:

Has anyone on here tried those HOP Waters as a substitute to alcohol?
    Our local grocery store started carrying them, they aren’t cheap but might be a good alternative

What brand?
    Lagunitas has a good hop water refresher. Its my wifes favorite.

IMG_8086 (resized).jpegIMG_8086 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #611 6 months ago

48 hours to go and it’s One Full Year...!!!
    I’ll echo the health/feeling great part is what keeps me from going back.....Also...Being around drunk people and the non-sense and embarrassment that comes from them.I want NO piece or part of Any of that behavior anymore....To those trying,Keep up the good Fight....!!!.............Joey

#612 6 months ago
    A61E0C90-9A89-4FD0-A6F4-1BDE5DE7E9E0 (resized).jpegA61E0C90-9A89-4FD0-A6F4-1BDE5DE7E9E0 (resized).jpeg
    #613 6 months ago

Congrats!

#614 6 months ago

Indeed, congratulations....Don't see myself stopping any time soon, unfortunately. Just made it two weeks, but currently screwed that up on my only day off this week after 72hrs in...and I'll be doing a 32hr shift tomorrow...Hopefully this winter

#615 6 months ago

The wife asked me to quit this week, so I decided to end alcohol and edibles cold turkey. Unfortunately, my truck got broke into yesterday while eating lunch. Fortunately, all I lost was my phone. I am happy to report that I made it through the rest of the day without anything, but I am not going to lie - it was hard. I really wanted an edible to slow my roll because I was seeing red for a bit. First test passed. Small, insignificant victory for most, but for me it was a big win.

Breaking_Dad - well done man on the one year. I hope I can post the same in 2024.

#616 6 months ago
    Quoted from Molon_Labe:

The wife asked me to quit this week, so I decided to end alcohol and edibles cold turkey. Unfortunately, my truck got broke into yesterday while eating lunch. Fortunately, all I lost was my phone. I am happy to report that I made it through the rest of the day without anything, but I am not going to lie - it was hard. I really wanted/needed an edible to slow my roll because I ramped up hard and was seeing red. First test passed. Small, insignificant victory for most, but for me it was a big win.
    Here we go with the day-by-day slog and slugfest - wish me luck or better yet throw some prayers my direction if you're a person of faith. I am going to need them, but I have mentally committed to it.

Just some advice… don’t look down the road, just concentrate on each day. Before you know it, you’ll be loving clarity and amazed at how much time has passed.

#617 6 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Just some advice… don’t look down the road, just concentrate on each day. Before you know it, you’ll be loving clarity and amazed at how much time has passed.

Thanks for that - I really appreciate it.

#618 6 months ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

48 hours to go and it’s One Full Year...!!!
    I’ll echo the health/feeling great part is what keeps me from going back.....Also...Being around drunk people and the non-sense and embarrassment that comes from them.I want NO piece or part of Any of that behavior anymore....To those trying,Keep up the good Fight....!!!.............Joey

Dude, Congratulations!! I’m 9 months sober. It’s been a struggle lately with a hernia operation, unrelated severe back pain, and gaining back all the weight I lost at the gym the first half of the year. My upcoming one year milestone is the main thing keeping me sober right now.

#619 6 months ago

I like giant beer ,tall whiskies and enormous plates of food but something had to give .I did not like where I was at and had to put them down last year as I let myself balloon up to 263 lbs .After a year of cutting out booze ,going to the gym ,multi dog walks daily ,using stairs at work and eating much healthier ,I am happy to report I’m a fit 198 lbs and now get to enjoy a handful of beers each week and 2 evenings of whatever the hell I want to eat like my favorite home cooked dish here .I work labor jobs so I imagine I was pretty close to having a widow maker when I got up to that size .Now ,I’ll be turning 54 late this year and I have not felt this good since my late 20s .It was very hard the first 30-45 days but once over that hump I started really feeling good and do not want to go back .Oh yeah ,since we’re on pinside ,the new clothes cost me a pin But I’ll take the loss

IMG_7468 (resized).jpegIMG_7468 (resized).jpegIMG_7521 (resized).jpegIMG_7521 (resized).jpegIMG_7917 (resized).jpegIMG_7917 (resized).jpegIMG_8031 (resized).jpegIMG_8031 (resized).jpegIMG_8817 (resized).pngIMG_8817 (resized).pngIMG_9674 (resized).jpegIMG_9674 (resized).jpeg
    #620 6 months ago

10 days in with no booze. Hoping to make it to October the 3rd. If I make it 30 days… I will be happy with that.

#621 6 months ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

10 days in with no booze. Hoping to make it to October the 3rd. If I make it 30 days… I will be happy with that.

I know it sounds cliché but taking it one day at a time does work. I am getting close to 7,000 days now.

#622 6 months ago

Alcohol is so bad for inflammation. I would get so red and my legs would blow up to twice their size. Inflammation is a major cause of most health problems. I read an article that did a study over 20 years. If you drink 12 beers a day, you will shorten your life by 25 years! That’s enough to sober you up.

#623 6 months ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

That’s exactly how I got started. Then extended the 30 days to 90, and finally said f it, let’s go for a year sober.

#624 6 months ago

Come August 27, I’m crossing the 4 year threshold…

It’s just habit now. Love it

#625 6 months ago

When grilling I have to crack something open. It does not feel right if I don’t.

IMG_5196 (resized).jpegIMG_5196 (resized).jpeg
    #626 6 months ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

When grilling I have to crack something open. It does not feel right if I don’t.
    [quoted image]

This has been my go to when I need to crack one.

IMG_1199 (resized).jpegIMG_1199 (resized).jpeg
    #627 6 months ago

Heya all!
    FOR YEARS, part of the show was drinking... a LOT.
    As of this past New Years (I only drank NA beers that night too), I've cut back booze consumption by about 99%. I really only have a drink at a business venture, or at a show with a friend, but that's about it.
    My go to for an NA drink to scratch that itch when it pops up are these. They. Are. AMAZING. Trust me.
    https://hoplark.com/products/the-core-mixed-pack-now-with-citra-bomb
    Proud of y'all in here. <3

#628 6 months ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Alcohol is so bad for inflammation. I would get so red and my legs would blow up to twice their size. Inflammation is a major cause of most health problems. I read an article that did a study over 20 years. If you drink 12 beers a day, you will shorten your life by 25 years! That’s enough to sober you up.

Same thing would happen to me and my body was basically telling me to stop drinking. I didn’t realize how much it effected my sleep too, I become quite the restless insomniac when I drink then just exhausted as can be next day. Haven’t completely quit, but only have a few drinks a week maybe and my body has thanked me.

#629 6 months ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

[quoted image]

my favourite. Tastes like retirement.

#630 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinster5000:

Same thing would happen to me and my body was basically telling me to stop drinking. I didn’t realize how much it effected my sleep too, I become quite the restless insomniac when I drink then just exhausted as can be next day. Haven’t completely quit, but only have a few drinks a week maybe and my body has thanked me.

That's my issue. My body fought the inflammation attack and I just felt horrible - even after only a few.

As you get older - it gets worse. Congrats to all even if you slow it way down.

#631 6 months ago

Just got over a sinus infection that kicked my ass for 3 weeks. No weed or booze in that time and I can’t say I miss drinking all that much.

Recently went kayaking and had a bunch of drinks, my tolerance is so high that it feels like work to get drunk, which is no fun. If I could go back to getting a buzz after 2-3 drinks, I could say I miss it, but I have no desire to pound 6+ to relax.

#632 6 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Congrats to all even if you slow it way down.

I’ll second this - any harm reduction is good! I would be drinking in moderation too, if I hadn’t broken so many promises to myself over the years. I had to pour out a few beers that were left at my last league night. It was surprisingly easy. I’m happy that I finally know myself well enough to stay away from slippery slopes.

Also, glad to see you on this thread @deadflip! I’m “Primitive Pinball” on your stream chats.

#633 6 months ago

After years of drowning my traumas, I finally faced them head on and I've been sober for 2 months now. Don't miss it at all. Granted, I had a cocktail with dinner recently but I had a hard time getting it down (no, I didn't finish it). Considering I was drinking half a pint of Crown almost daily, I'm taking this as a small victory.

#634 6 months ago
    Quoted from MultiBallFreak:

After years of drowning my traumas, I finally faced them head on and I've been sober for 2 months now. Don't miss it at all. Granted, I had a cocktail with dinner recently but I had a hard time getting it down (no, I didn't finish it). Considering I was drinking half a pint of Crown almost daily, I'm taking this as a small victory.

Sounds like a pretty large victory to me!

#635 6 months ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Sounds like a pretty large victory to me!

Agreed. Not everyone has to completely stop - it's based on what you are capable of or need.

Any reduction is a win - unless you get diagnosed with a liver disease and still keep on drinking.

#636 6 months ago

Choose therapy, not alcohol

#637 6 months ago

Crazy how around 40 my body made it clear it wanted me to stop even casual drinking. Was never a heavy drinker but would have terrible mornings after just one or two. I feel so much better without it.

#638 6 months ago

I took a comprehensive 500 hour drug program. Designed to allow an individual to better identify and understand one's emotions. Then how to build personal coping mechanisms to deal with future emotions instead of just drinking. Once these are learned it will come down to this. You come to a 3 way stop where you can only turn left or right. You've learned how to cope with situations so turn left. Or turn right back to the old behavior. The higher power in this program is you. Emotion focused coping helps you change how you react to stressors. Which often trigger us into our worst behavior.

#639 6 months ago
    Quoted from A_Bord:

Crazy how around 40 my body made it clear it wanted me to stop even casual drinking. Was never a heavy drinker but would have terrible mornings after just one or two. I feel so much better without it.

After crossing 40, kind of had the same thing happen. I wasn't a heavy drinker at all - maybe once a week, once every other week - I'd have a couple drinks with friends or kick back with a bottle of vino on a Friday night. Anything past one drink basically ruined the next day - additionally, I was having a lot of issues with joint pain (elbows, knees, etc.) - for over a year, 100% quitting the alcohol cleared it all right up. I think there is a correlation between drinking and inflammation, and as you get older, it really starts to impact you (and I'm a pretty healthy person in general, eat healthy, work-out routine far above average) - some of it is probably genetics too, but it's always a lever you can pull to see if it improves your life at all to leave it behind!

#640 6 months ago
    Quoted from MultiBallFreak:

Sounds like a big f’n victory to me! Congrats!

#641 6 months ago

My core group of friends are all heavy drinkers. It’s the thing we do (for me: did) when we all get together. That made it doubly hard for me to stop. Lucky for me, my personality has a lone wolf side to it. I have zero problem marching to my own beat.

Over the last few years, two friends have talked a lot about being concerned about their drinking. They want to stop, but it’s so wrapped into their idea of social fun, that they can’t say no. I think they’re worried that get togethers and any sort of group activity will be awkward or not fun without booze… they’re so deep in the weeds that booze is literally one of the pillars of fun.

Disc golf? Gotta bring beers
    Golf? Beers
    Dinner? Beers
    Brunch? Bloodies
    Cornhole? Drinks

The reality I’ve found is that I can have a great time being clear minded and present. I get the camaraderie of sharing a drink. But, that same camaraderie is there without it, in some ways, more so.

I’ve made it a long way down the road without booze, and my doctor has given me permission (from a health perspective, which is what caused me to hit the breaks) to have a drink every now and again. But, as of now, it just doesn’t have any pull. Weird how it’s worked out.

#642 6 months ago
    Quoted from vikeking27:

After crossing 40, kind of had the same thing happen. I wasn't a heavy drinker at all - maybe once a week, once every other week - I'd have a couple drinks with friends or kick back with a bottle of vino on a Friday night. Anything past one drink basically ruined the next day - additionally, I was having a lot of issues with joint pain (elbows, knees, etc.) - for over a year, 100% quitting the alcohol cleared it all right up. I think there is a correlation between drinking and inflammation, and as you get older, it really starts to impact you (and I'm a pretty healthy person in general, eat healthy, work-out routine far above average) - some of it is probably genetics too, but it's always a lever you can pull to see if it improves your life at all to leave it behind!

That's where I'm at too. I like a few beers now and then. And being in Wisconsin it's ingrained in our culture. If I have one I'm fine. If I have two, I might be ok. More than that and I'm going to sleep like crap and feel rough the next day. Kind of sucks but the upside is it's hard to become addicted when 3 beers does this to you.

#643 6 months ago
    Quoted from A_Bord:

Crazy how around 40 my body made it clear it wanted me to stop even casual drinking.

I commented to my internist a few years ago that I have a hangover from 1983 when I was diagnosed with recurrent pancreatitus. I later developed an enzyme deficiency because of the pancreatitus which led me to be gluten intolerant. So now I get sick from drinking alcohol for at least 4 days as well as 4 days for just eating food like everyone else.

With what I live with, you eventually either figure out your diet, or die an alcoholic. Took me years for my intestines to heal from gluten damage. I got better and one day woke up pain free. It sucks not being able to eat what you want, but the side effect to my body was crazy. Pancreatitus won't allow me to gain too much weight as I can't ingest too much fat as that can set off my pancreas as well.

The result ended up being that I'm 63, and usually feel better now than when I was in my 40s. I don't have a choice unless I want to feel horrible. My internist commented that yes my condition came about as a result of my drinking. He kinda laughed and said to the effect that yes I took it too far a few times and am essentially dealing with this because I overdid it in late 70s, early 80s. Long damn hangover. And yet I actually feel lucky.

#644 6 months ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Choose therapy, not alcohol

200 a hour…no thanks!

#645 6 months ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

200 a hour…no thanks!

I’m all for going dry and will be trying some of that HopTea DeadFlip recommended. Agree it feels like part of a social contract to share a drink with friends when they come over, when I BBQ, game night, etc. That’s the habit or expectation I personally need to break. But maybe cracking a can of something else will fill that roll. Doesn’t need to be alcohol.
    196A9402-78C3-4F57-8D5D-B765B08AE29F.gif196A9402-78C3-4F57-8D5D-B765B08AE29F.gif

#646 6 months ago
    Quoted from Ballderdash:

But maybe cracking a can of something else will fill that roll. Doesn’t need to be alcohol.

I agree. They probably wouldn’t even notice if you drank virgin drinks.

4 weeks later
    #647 5 months ago

Well going to drink some tonight. 40 days is pretty good run.

#648 5 months ago

Me and a local pinball friend embarked on a no drink during the week thing. Mon-fri night. Going strong, not as hard as I thought it would be, but I replaced the sugar need with one mini can of soda a night when flipping.

I still crave beer always.

I plan on doing this for a few months to make it a habit then adding a no drink day over the weekend I till I'm down to one day a week I can cut loose. Wish me luck!

#649 5 months ago

I was planning to drink while on vacation in Vancouver, but I picked up a case of Athletic beer instead. So my journey to one year (on Oct 30) is intact.

When I first quit drinking, I got enthusiastic about exercise and weight loss and dropped 15 pounds. I’m kind of annoyed that the weight is coming back - I’m still exercising, but I’m eating way too much. I’ll start dieting again when vacation is over (tomorrow).

#650 5 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

When I first quit drinking, I got enthusiastic about exercise and weight loss and dropped 15 pounds. I’m kind of annoyed that the weight is coming back - I’m still exercising, but I’m eating way too much. I’ll start dieting again when vacation is over (tomorrow).

That is natural. Everyone goes through that.

Look into intermittent fasting....a 16:8 approach is easy to adopt.

There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-has-stopped-drinking/page/13?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.