(Topic ID: 101423)

Who here has a Crane/Claw machine in their game room?

By ryan1234

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20200209-235703 (resized).png
    Crane Quarter (resized).jpg
    Crane Ten Cents (resized).jpg
    s-l400 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    thumb_IMG_0869_1024_(resized).jpg
    GR2_(resized).jpg
    GR1_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    TS_175_(resized).JPG
    TS_174_(resized).JPG
    003_(resized).jpg
    capture_(resized).jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

My kids were asking about a claw/crane machine and got me wondering if they are fun in a home setting?
    Asking for thoughts........
    -What do you put in it?
    -Do you charge quarters?
    -Does it get any use?
    -Am I just plain nuts for even thinking about one?

#2 5 years ago

Ive got one and its probably the most used game I have. I fill it with anything I can find with a tag still on it and the kids love it. I don't charge, its on free play.

#3 5 years ago

I have one, but it's in the middle of being repaired, and by being repaired, I mean that it's sat broken for about a year now while I find time to work on it.

#4 5 years ago

I have thought of buying one of these for years. Are they pretty reliable? I loved them when I was kid.

#5 5 years ago

I really want one. Always love them when I was little.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

I have thought of buying one of these for years. Are they pretty reliable? I loved them when I was kid.

I had a minor problem with mine, basically the cord got tangled and came off the pulleys. Not a huge deal. Mine came with both the claw for candy and toys. I have stuck with the toys for now as young kids seems to stick stuff everywhere in my house.

#7 5 years ago

I had one for years and was able to become very efficient at emptying it and slowly packing it tighter. End result when I saw one on location I would win a few and put in my machine for the kids (nephews & nieces) to keep all the stuffed animals new and fresh. Kids loved it.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks for the responses..... Keep them comming!
    Thought I could add a few gag prizes with the good toys- old socks, empty candy box, dead squirrel.

3 weeks later
    #9 5 years ago

I have one, free play setting. Picked it up at an auction for $200 working! Who doesnt like a claw machine. My buddy puts mini booze bottles in his!
    PS, I like your empty candy box idea! lol!

#10 5 years ago

We do. And always set to free-play. Very popular during parties & totally dormant in between our get-togethers. During the Christmas holiday we zip tie $5 bills to the plush prizes. (I like the mini booze bottle idea....)
    ~Steveo

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from steve-o:

We do. And always set to free-play. Very popular during parties & totally dormant in between our get-togethers. During the Christmas holiday we zip tie $5 bills to the plush prizes. (I like the mini booze bottle idea....)
    ~Steveo

I like the money on the plush idea and the mini liquor idea. I'm gonna have to rethink mine.

#12 5 years ago

I have a 1940s carnival crane. Pure mechanical, plays on a nickel. My grandson loves to play it but it always makes him mad. Even though there is virtually no skill involved it has that "one more try" appeal.

#13 5 years ago

We also have one in our game room. Keeps the kids busy so the adults can play pinball. Not that the kids don't enjoy playing the pins too. We also put money on the toys for special occasions. Always gets a lot of use during gatherings.

#14 5 years ago

We have one. Set to put money in - but we have coins in a jar next to it. Filled with cheap Chinese toys, but if the kids leave their toys lying around, they gut put in as well and they have to win them back.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

..... , dead squirrel.

#16 5 years ago

I have one. It's full of candy.

#17 5 years ago

I have an ICE crane full of beanie babies. Everything in my arcade is free play, just tell the kids play it all you want.... And you can pick one of you winners to take home.

My kids on the other hand play it until it's empty (set to skill)

Greg

#18 5 years ago

I have one too, I go to the dollar store and load up, then keeps all the kids busy whilst I drink in the garage... yeah I know, but it works.

#19 5 years ago

Update-
    I picked up a broken one real cheap that someone had cut out some switches.
    It was a nightmare tracing the wires but it now works.
    Starting to find stuff to put in it. Thanks for all the ideas!

#20 5 years ago

i have one and it's the most popular item in the arcade. Free play.

photo(1).JPG
    #21 5 years ago

I have never even considered a claw game. What a great idea. Sounds like I'll need to go to my first auction in Sevierville next month and see if I can pick one up.

#22 5 years ago

We have a Premier claw game. My boys had tons of small stuffed toys when they were younger. Couldn't get them to throw them away. The claw game was the perfect solution. When we have a big party, I go down to the local dollar store and buy 20 or so small animals. That way the small kids can win something and take it home. If you have the room, they're fun to have.

#23 5 years ago

Picked one up at auction many years back for $10. Non working, but basically needed nothing. This was back when Beanie Babies were the craze so we loaded those in there and my kids would play for hours upon hours, day after day. Eventually the new wore off and we needed space and sold it. Definitely great for casual guests, however prize distribution on a free play machine is a whole separate issue. John

#24 5 years ago

If I could fit one down my stairs I would totally have one. Very cool.

#25 5 years ago

I had one that I filled with Halloween plush. I kept it in my game room, but on Halloween I put it outside just inside the open garage door (always rained or worse on Halloween.) It was on administered free play, where each trick-or-treater had two free plays. The line was long all evening. My son was in charge of the free play which amounted to an extended coin switch with a push button on a long wire. I did this for a number of years and seemed to be a big hit the kids. One box of plush (about 30" cubed) lasted through the years until I sold the machine because I was moving.

It was a dependable machine with only mechanical easily solved problems.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from VanManDan:

I have one, free play setting. Picked it up at an auction for $200 working! Who doesnt like a claw machine. My buddy puts mini booze bottles in his!
    PS, I like your empty candy box idea! lol!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had the idea of mini booze bottles

#27 5 years ago

This is my 1932 Miami Nickel Digger restored by James Roller. Everyone loves it. It has antique toys, nickels, Loonies and Toonies. Love it!
    P1040448.jpgP1040452.JPGP1040451.JPG

#28 5 years ago

I love those claw games, I noticed some people posted that they got some real sweetheart deals on theirs - but does anyone have an idea of what kind of price range I'd be looking at to get one (used)?

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveP3:

I love those claw games, I noticed some people posted that they got some real sweetheart deals on theirs - but does anyone have an idea of what kind of price range I'd be looking at to get one (used)?

I see them in the $800 range all the time around here, but deals for less than that pop up now and then too. It's pretty much the only game I ever see in random places on location...no one wants to play anything without a prize anymore

#30 5 years ago

There are some double cranes that tend to be less pricey, but it is unlikely the game will fit through
    some doors. I have seen them on craigslist in the $300 to $600 range at various times. The candy only cranes are not priced as high as the prize/plush machines.

Older machines obviously are lower priced, but the circuit boards may be difficult to find schematics, parts and repair.

#31 5 years ago

The ones without a bill accepter are going to be your best price.

#32 5 years ago

I have a few for sale in Mid Michigan for $300 and under. PM me if interested.

20140919_114405.jpg
    20140919_114334.jpg
    20140919_114436.jpg
    20140919_114507.jpg
    20140919_134835.jpg
    20140919_114604.jpg

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

I have a few for sale in Mid Michigan for $300 and under. PM me if interested.

OMG I wish I was local. I would buy that Dinosaurs in an instant.

#34 5 years ago

What is the trick to these on location? I have always thought the some of the claws felt really "loose" is that something operators do?

#35 5 years ago

This thread just officially made me want a Lucky Crane in the house. That's going to go over real well...

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

What is the trick to these on location? I have always thought the some of the claws felt really "loose" is that something operators do?

I think on some models you can adjust the grip strength on the claw. I've also heard that on some it only adjusts the grip high enough to make it possible to win on a certain percentage of games.

#37 5 years ago

I have been reading a little about these cranes and how they work.
    The older ones just have a adjustable grip that is just a knob in the cabinet.
    The operator would turn it up or down based on prizes to revenue ratio.

The new cranes are much more sophisticated. The coil in the griper is automatically electronically adjusting constantly. They may only have full power gripping every 10 or so plays. On some, the machine will lower the grip power after it raises the crane up. So it will pick it up, but when it starts to move the claw, the prize drops on the way to the win. It is a sneeky way to get you to put in more money as you think "I almost had it, one more try should do it."

I also read that a lot of states have laws that require a prize to be awarded on an average of so many plays. Around 10 to 15 depending on the state. But I am not sure how or who is testing the machines- maybe "The Crane Police"

#38 5 years ago

Seems like there are a bunch of different types of cranes. Any one have any review or deals beside the ones in Michigan?

#39 5 years ago

Mine was a "Toy Taxi." Seem pretty common, I've made a couple of repairs myself with easy to find parts.

And it fits thru a standard doorway.

2 weeks later
    #40 5 years ago

has anyone made custom graphics for theres?

#41 5 years ago

Claw games you can't give away at auction. I can't even count how many auctions i've been to and they tell you $10 and you can take all 3 of them. Everyone still passes. Might be fun to have one if you have a shitload of space in your gameroom. But for me, my space is way to valuable to take up with a claw game. I would get one of those smaller Digger machines tho.

1 year later
    #42 4 years ago

I actually have been wanting a claw game for my game room for my daughter to play on. I never see one for sale on Craigslist though. What's a good price to pay for a working one?

#43 4 years ago

I have two restored 1930's diggers (a Bridge Transporter by Bonzini and Sopransi, and a New Yorker by Mutoscope). During parties we reserve them for play to those under 18 years of age. The kids all love them. On earlier models like mine, you can't set them for free play as the nickel that is inserted is actually used to bridge the electric circuit to start the claw motors.

#44 4 years ago

I have a candy crane. I need to find something else to put in it though, as the candy gets stale/hard much faster than I thought it would. Maybe I'll replace it with a claw game. I leave it on quarter play, and give the kids a quarter when they deserve it

#45 4 years ago

We filled up our crane, claw machine with hundreds of Dupo Legos. You can buy them cheap on ebay. My kids love it. They build something with a limit of 20 plays each. Then we put their creations back inside the machine and let them claw away at each others creations to see who can destroy it faster. Its good, clean fun!

#46 4 years ago

I have an Americoin junkyard claw crane game on free-play in The Hot Rod Grille. You operate the controls to pick up small toy junk cars and load them into the hopper. The game has an 8-track that plays sounds of crunching metal and breaking glass. It's more difficult than it looks, so most folks only play once or twice before giving up! They do seem to enjoy watching me play when I demo the game for them. The game is cool but not sure if it's a good use of the real estate in the game room.

1 week later
    #47 4 years ago

A favorite in my game room...

capture_(resized).jpg

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

We filled up our crane, claw machine with hundreds of Dupo Legos. You can buy them cheap on ebay. My kids love it. They build something with a limit of 20 plays each. Then we put their creations back inside the machine and let them claw away at each others creations to see who can destroy it faster. Its good, clean fun!

Genious!

Id like a claw, but I agree, they take up ALOT of real estate. For $10, shit I would take one, no problem.

#49 4 years ago

My lady is a sucker for claw machines, can't pass one up without putting in a buck, so of course I had to get one.

003_(resized).jpg

2 months later
    #50 3 years ago

I've got an unrestored 1932 Digger--same model as algrande above I think. Filled with candy, toys, trading cards.

TS_174_(resized).JPG

TS_175_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 33.50
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 24.00
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside