(Topic ID: 282876)

Who have you met or spotted, that is famous?

By seeburg220

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dweezil (resized).jpg
    IMG_8606 (resized).JPG
    Goodman (resized).jpg
    D6B95CDE-1FDC-411D-9163-5487B19FB493 (resized).jpeg
    7332989A-2049-4DAD-8DD9-63B382F8E477 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    TheUFOExperienceExampleAmazon (resized).jpg
    CloseEncountersOfTheThirdKindChapter (resized).jpg
    1966ChallengeToScienceTheUFOEnigmaValleePowersAutograph (resized).jpg
    UFOExperienceHynek1972AutographToPowers (resized).jpg
    1966ChallengeToScienceTheUFOEnigmaJacquesVallee (resized).jpg
    NapoleonDynamiteTimeMachine (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    AAA4AB93-94B5-4915-B582-BFF871B6B9D0 (resized).jpeg
    20160925_214806 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1463682657470 (resized).jpg
    There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 3 years ago

Oh yeah, just one other " celebrity " encounter, went to a back yard garden wedding in 86 or 87, a guy sat down next to me as the ceremony was getting close.
    I had to stand up to let him get to his chair, this guy was short, he joked that I was a giant as he sat down, I was 13 or so and six foot plus. We talked for a minute or two till the wedding march started.

Half way through the ceremony, It hit me, its Pat Sajack sitting there. Just a little nice guy, you would never notice, unless someone pointed him out.

#202 3 years ago

Famous people are just people. Some really cool. A few very entitled. A few bad encounters for me. I was impatient and hit a golf ball way past President Nixon and 40 yards to the right of him. My bad. His security way overreacted. Their bad. (President Ford was so nice as was his security).

Buddy Hacket was livid when I sarcastically said I wouldn't hit the ball over his head if he'd agree to follow rules of the club and turn the damn light on the tee indicating he'd hit a shot in the canyon and was down there.

Richard Roundtree was paired with my friends in a celebrity tournament playing in front of me. He acted like he was Shaft on a golf course. He had a gold cigar holder he would stick in the ground. Even James Bond isn't that cool. And he thought he played well. He was such a dick that he waved my group up on our 2nd hole saying to my friends that my group couldn't hit it as far as he was. After I hit it 50 yards or more by him my friends told him they thought the ball was still rising as it flew over his head. I kept needling him over the 3 days as a comedian in our group kept egging me on. Richard doesn't like me. Oh well.

Famous people who went out of their way for me or tried. Oral Roberts offered a golf scholarship. Sidney Poitier offered to start me in a commercial. Richard, a buddy of mine, told Glen Frey I was in a bad way and could use cheering up. Glen offered to put me on a corporate event concert payroll so I could play golf with him for a few days at a golf resort. They call it "rent a friend" when a buddy is on the road crew payroll. I couldn't make it, but appreciated the kind gesture.

#203 3 years ago

The news today reminded me of the time I met Chuck Yeager. He was a guest speaker at the Rotary Club in Eureka California back in the early 90's. Man, could he tell stories and keep you on the edge of your seat! Fascinating to listen to him, then after lunch he hung around to visit and (sell and) autograph his book. He lived not far from there in the countryside, and enjoyed hunting and fishing. Cool guy. R.I.P.

#204 3 years ago

Met a guy who told me his name was Walter. I knew nothing else about him but he looked interesting so we snapped a picture.

Goodman (resized).jpgGoodman (resized).jpg
    #205 3 years ago

I saw big foot once, had a foot on him thirty seven inches.

#206 3 years ago

My actual brush with celebrity happened years ago when Winona Ryder brushed past my arm reaching over me for a magazine at a Borders bookstore in Baltimore. I just heard a polite excuse me as I looked up from my magazine trying not to show my surprise. This was at the height of her career and I so wanted to ask her wtf are you doing in Baltimore? I didn’t...my early 20s brain was telling me play it cool and maybe you got a shot : ) I didn’t say a word to her other then -no problem. So yup I blew my shot cause ladies man I’m not. Found out weeks later that Soul Asylum was in town that week and she was dating the lead singer. I hear Dave and Winona didn’t last as a couple for long. So while I’m typing/posting this I look back thinking it was Winona her blew her shot that day.

Laugh if you want but hey stranger things have happened.

#207 3 years ago

Also casually asked a young Cal Ripken if he was playing tonight after he got injured very early in his career. Don’t remember what the injury was but will always remember his response ....”yeah i’m in, I’m always in.”

Dude wasn’t lying

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

My actual brush with celebrity happened years ago when Winona Ryder brush past my arm reaching over me for a magazine at a Borders bookstore in Baltimore. I just heard a polite excuse me as I looked up from my magazine trying not to show my surprise. This was at the height of her career and I so wanted to ask her wtf are you doing in Baltimore? I didn’t...my early 20s brain was telling me play it cool and maybe you got a shot : ) I didn’t say a word to her other then -no problem. So yup I blew my shot cause ladies man I’m not. Found out weeks later that Soul Asylum was in town that week and she was dating the lead singer. I hear Dave and Winona didn’t last as a couple for long. So while I’m typing/posting this I look back thinking it was Winona her blew her shot that day.
    Laugh if you want but hey stranger things have happened.

Are you sure she didn't 5 finger discount that magazine?

I always thought she was a good actress....everyone has bad days.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

everyone has bad days.

She was very polite and well....normal. Don’t know if the other customers were showing respect by not acknowledging her or just didn’t recognize her. She was and is still very attractive. She had a green army jacket on that I assume was her attempt to hide that attractiveness. It didn’t work.

Edit- I forgot bout her thieving issues.

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Met a guy who told me his name was Walter. I knew nothing else about him but he looked interesting so we snapped a picture.
    [quoted image]

That is awesome, your story made me remember this one:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/youre-killin-me-smalls-man-wearing-sandlot-t-shirt-unknowingly-takes-a-photo-with-sandlot-stars/

#211 3 years ago

I once met this dude, Eric Hadley, I was like oh shit man it’s you! Woa

#212 3 years ago

I've actually met quite a few famous people. If I try to remember them all I'm sure I'll forget many of them. I'll break it down into categories:

Sports Figures:

Magic Johnson: Shook his hand at a basketball game
    Bob Gibson: He was a guest at a wedding I was at. Shook his hand and chatted with him for a minute.
    Emmit Smith: Literally bumped into him on the dance floor at a club in San Francisco. Felt something immovable, looked over, holy shit it's Emmit Smith. Chatted for a minute and shook his hand.
    Gerrit Cole: Was eating dinner at a restaurant in Pittsburgh with my wife, him and his group sat at the table next to us. Said hello.
    Howie Long: Met him at CES
    Bill Walton: Met him at CES. Had a nice chat with him, friendly guy.
    Chris Collinsworth: Shook his hand at a game once.
    Fernando Alonso: Met him and shook his hand at a race.
    Simon Pagenaud (2019 Indy 500 winner): Have met him on several occasions, he seems to remember me each time.
    Lots and lots of other sports car, Indycar and Formula 1 drivers.

Television/Movie People:

Clint Eastwood: Met him in the clubhouse at a golf course in Carmel after a round of golf. Very friendly and charming. Wife was in love.
    Michelle Pfeiffer: She told me I looked good with my shirt off. True story!
    Ice Cube: I may or may not have smoked a little something something with him when I was a teenager.
    Michael Fassbender: Had a brief chat with him, took a selfie. Nice enough guy.
    Alicia Vikander: Fassbender's girlfriend, she was there with him.
    Keanu Reeves: Met him on the street before he did a Dogstar show.
    Patrick Dempsey: Met him several times when he was racing cars.
    Jackie Chan: Met him at CES
    Danny Trejo: He was hanging out at a club in Austin, TX and said hello and took a picture with him. Super friendly.
    Vanessa Williams: Helped her change a flat tire when she was freaking out over it at a gas station. Changed it for her and then realized who she was, then she got really rude.
    Ron Jeremy: Yeah, that Ron Jeremy. Super funny story about meeting him! I made sure to wash my hand really well after shaking his!
    Louis CK: Chatted with him for a minute and got a picture with him after one of his shows.
    Kevin Nealon: Same situation as with Louis CK.
    Adam Scott: Went to High School with him before he got semi-famous.

Music People:

Ed O'Brien: Guitar player from Radiohead. Shook his hand after a show once.
    Moby: Chatted with him and hung out for quite a while after one of his shows.
    Sublime (the whole band): Had a house party in the early 90s, friend was friends with them, they wanted somewhere to play, I hosted.

Politics:

Met Joe Biden earlier this year. At a campaign event. Used my connections to have a one on one with him for a few minutes, shook his hand, his official photographer person took our picture together. Super friendly guy.

Probably forgetting quite a few...

IMG_8606 (resized).JPGIMG_8606 (resized).JPG
    #213 3 years ago

There is a a stupid picture somewhere with me on the very top right for proof, but it's mainly my arm. In college we did a ski/snowboarding trip to Crested Butte. I was a year a way from being legal, but my fake ID worked pretty good. My group went to a bar where Coolio was partying with his buds. I didn't talk to Coolio much but got along with one of his boys who's birthday was that day. I stayed as my friends left. I was so drunk leaving all I could do was follow the mountain to our place. I still have no idea how I found my way.

#214 3 years ago

I met Ditka once. I was drunk eating steak and drinking at his steak house. He was probably annoyed.

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I met Ditka once. I was drunk eating steak and drinking at his steak house. He was probably annoyed.

He was mostly annoyed that you asked for ketchup for the steak.

#216 3 years ago

My only meeting was when I was very young, and it was Rankin M. Smith Sr., the founder of the Atlanta Falcons.

Mr. Smith also was president of Life of Georgia, and my aunt was his secretary there. Him and my uncle was close friends.

Anyway, I have never met or spotted anyone that I can think of, but all the time when I used to travel all over going to amusement parks people around me would point at someone and say they were famous, but I had never heard of any of them.

Really only 2 I would care to meet: Steve Martin and Chevy Chase. Last I ever heard they are still friends and get together to play poker every week and I always thought that was cool.

I do know a WHOLE lot of stories from friends, one that surprised me was what a bitch Lucille Ball was.

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

He was mostly annoyed that you asked for ketchup for the steak.

As he should be.

#218 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

one that surprised me was what a bitch Lucille Ball was.

Redheads.

#219 3 years ago

Richard Belzer and Andre from Real World 1

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCP:

Quoted from Azmodeus:

That is pretty close to a subject others would read about. Blue book, specifically his relationship with hynek. IMO.

FYI, I've hopped over to the Pinside "So, UFOs are Real Now" discussion to continue the Project Blue Book talk. I will continue digging through my Dad's archives to find more rare trivia about Dr. J. Allen Hynek, UFO investigator, as well as anything else UFO-related.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-ufo-s-are-real-now-/page/6#post-6006249
    Thanks to everyone for the positive comments about my Dad's scifi and the UFO investigators and astronauts that I've met!
    Pinside has been a great place to jog the memory with all the stories people tell. There are a lot of nostalgia topics, like the awesome old toys thread, and that's not a bad thing in my mind. As long as you enjoy the past, but don't live in it, it's very valuable to revisit it from time to time.
    All these memories have been coming up as I revisit my entire life, part of the process that happens when a loved one is dying.
    And by the way, F**K cancer! My younger sister is hanging on, but near the end, 3-1/2 months at home in Hospice after being given a few weeks to live at the end of August. She and our youngest sister also met Neal Armstrong and knew the Hyneks and the Vallees and the Henizes and played with their kids. We are going to miss her terribly.
    If you were new here, you might not see it right away, but Pinside helps a lot of people in an astonishing number of ways. It's been a lifesaver for many during this abysmal year.

6 months later
    #221 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jigs:

haha sure
    Long version, short, or just paraphrased?

The long version, please.

#222 3 years ago

I met Roger Waters before a gig in Chicago and he signed my "Animals" and "Wish You were Here" LP's for me and I got a picture with him.

Tried to meet David Gilmour in Chicago as well, but he didn't show up but I met his wife Polly Samson and she signed her book for me as well as a copy of David's "rattle that Lock" LP since she helps David with some Lyrics.

#223 3 years ago

For you Aussies Ive met the Original Wolfmother guys 2x and mingled alittle. Once was just with Chris and Myles and second time was with Andrew more but Chris and Myles were there with us.

#224 3 years ago

I won tickets to see Muse record their Live Lounge for Radio 1 and there was a meet & greet after. Matt Bellamy is a lot shorter than I thought!

#225 3 years ago

Musicians I've met:

Stanley Clarke
    Karl Alvarez (Descendents)
    Kenney Gradney (Little Feat)
    Webb Wilder
    Seth Tiven (Dumptruck)
    Dweezil Zappa
    Robyn Hitchcock
    Lou Reed

Other:

Mario Andretti
    Danny Aiellio
    Jackie Mason
    Dweezil (resized).jpgDweezil (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #226 2 years ago

I’ll try to meet some one soon.

#227 2 years ago

William Shatner
    Derek Jeter
    Two many WWE wrestlers to list.

There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.