(Topic ID: 143821)

Who has upgraded speakers on their Stern Spike pins?

By NorCalRealtor

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vireland
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

I should be receiving my first Spike pin very soon (GOT). I have upgraded speakers on my SAM Sterns and I dig the difference they make, especially on Met and IM.

I've read the Spike pins have a new sound system which sounds much better that SAM pins right out of the box. So, are FF or PP speakers a similarly worthwhile upgrade on Spike, or not really needed?

I'm about to order a shaker motor and need to decide whether or not to add the speaker kit.

3 months later
    #2 3 years ago

Personally, I think the speakers are the same or a little crappier in the spike system pins. They also screwed over the aftermarket guys because with the power supply relocation (and power switch move to the head) and angled speakers you really don't have room for upgraded speakers and speaker lights, so you have to choose one or the other.

#3 3 years ago

I installed the FF kit on GOT. Significant improvement

#4 3 years ago

Not to hijack the thread but is there any significant difference between FF and PP speaker kits to someone of average hearing abilities?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Personally, I think the speakers are the same or a little crappier in the spike system pins. They also screwed over the aftermarket guys because with the power supply relocation (and power switch move to the head) and angled speakers you really don't have room for upgraded speakers and speaker lights, so you have to choose one or the other.

Flipper Fidelity will be solving that problem shortly so that you won't have to choose.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from bonanza:

Not to hijack the thread but is there any significant difference between FF and PP speaker kits to someone of average hearing abilities?

Both make similar products, and both have exceptional customer service.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from vireland:

FYI, Pinball Pro speakers and lights fit perfectly in Spike and always have. So no problem there, never was.
    image_(resized).jpeg

#8 3 years ago

Overdue to update this thread. Happy to report the sound improvement on my GOT was substantial! Most noticeable improvement yet! My layperson opinion is that Spike's higher quality, stereo audio signal is giving the speakers more to work with than in the past. I used the FF kit with 10"woofer.

P.s. Have yet to try Pinball Pros in Spike, but I liked them in my former BSD.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Flipper Fidelity will be solving that problem shortly so that you won't have to choose.

Great news. I would like both for my GOTle

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

FYI, Pinball Pro speaker lights fit perfectly in Spike and always have. So no problem there, never was.

Speaker lights AND upgraded speakers?

One or the other was never a problem, but with the lower clearance, you can't have both upgrades in a spike panel, to my knowledge.

(is that a round light kit in a square speaker panel?)

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Speaker lights AND upgraded speakers?
    One or the other was never a problem, but with the lower clearance, you can't have both upgrades in a spike panel, to my knowledge.
    (is that a round light kit in a square speaker panel?)

They are in my KISS, and yes they fit. We have done plenty of testing.

No it is not a round light kit, it's a round speaker with lights built into it. We have been building/offering these for I believe 3 or 4 years now.

To be clear, these are not kits, they are our lighted speaker led upgrade. You are correct in saying you cannot purchase a light kit and add additional depth with a speaker upgrade.

But you can buy lighted Pinball Pro speakers

Thanks
    Greg
    Www.pinballpro.com

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

They are in my KISS, and yes they fit. We have done plenty of testing.
    No it is not a round light kit, it's a round speaker with lights built into it. We have been building/offering these for I believe 3 or 4 years now.
    To be clear, these are not kits, they are our lighted speaker led upgrade. You are correct in saying you cannot purchase a light kit and add additional depth with a speaker upgrade.

Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't understand why the LEDs were so visible outside the speaker frame, but now that I understand that they're mounted around the edge of the actual speaker, it makes sense. They're pretty much invisible with the add on kits I've used so far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Z
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    $ 149.00
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 100.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside